You are viewing an archive of the old fxhome.com forums. The community has since moved to hitfilm.com.

Upsidedown Ratings?

Posted: Mon, 29th Sep 2003, 3:59pm

Post 1 of 71

Exclamation

Force: 2067 | Joined: 28th Mar 2003 | Posts: 480

CompositeLab Pro User EffectsLab Pro User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Rating: +1

Originally, I prefered the old rating system, but now I seem to prefer this new one (with the force being given out now too).

The only thing is people used to give out positive ratings (tokens) all the time, and very seldom give out the negitives. Now it seems to be the oposite (well, nearly) because even though we still get positives, many more negitives are being given out (upseting some). Negitives dont afect your force, or anything like that, but they look bad.

And the main reason I'm posting this is because funny posts used to get you +1, now they will most likely get you a -1. Even though I agree with the positives for helpful, I think people should only give out negitives to really unhelpful posts, doing nothing for anyone.

I just thought I'd share my veiws with you, and now I wanna here yours. And btw, I don't care for the ratings (apart for the force smile) but I do feel people are abusing their right to vote.

Ex!
Posted: Mon, 29th Sep 2003, 4:09pm

Post 2 of 71

Hajiku_Flip

Force: 3786 | Joined: 2nd Jun 2002 | Posts: 1669

Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

I think the reason that -1's are given out latley is because people are posting with pictures only to be funny and get force. I personally gave out a -1 a few hours ago when someone went off topic just to post a picture and hope for a +1. If the picture doesn't make me laugh, I'll probably see that as spam and rate accordingly. I think the rating system is designed for helpful posts and answers, not just funny pictures they got off ebaumsworld. confused
Posted: Mon, 29th Sep 2003, 4:12pm

Post 3 of 71

Exclamation

Force: 2067 | Joined: 28th Mar 2003 | Posts: 480

CompositeLab Pro User EffectsLab Pro User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Rating: -1

Acctually I didn't post this realating to that. I actually said I don't care for ratings apart from force.

Exclamation wrote:

I don't care for the ratings (apart for the force smile)
... yeah, see.
Posted: Mon, 29th Sep 2003, 4:15pm

Post 4 of 71

Hajiku_Flip

Force: 3786 | Joined: 2nd Jun 2002 | Posts: 1669

Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

Huh?


Exclamation wrote:


And the main reason I'm posting this is because funny posts used to get you +1, now they will most likely get you a -1. Even though I agree with the positives for helpful, I think people should only give out negitives to really unhelpful posts, doing nothing for anyone.Ex!
So I explained why I personally think people are getting -1's for pictures. If that's not right, what are you looking for then?
Posted: Mon, 29th Sep 2003, 4:17pm

Post 5 of 71

Exclamation

Force: 2067 | Joined: 28th Mar 2003 | Posts: 480

CompositeLab Pro User EffectsLab Pro User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Rating: -1

I wasn't realating to it. I just wanted to get across how it has changed.
Posted: Mon, 29th Sep 2003, 4:34pm

Post 6 of 71

BackOfTheHearse

Force: 2660 | Joined: 17th Nov 2001 | Posts: 1099

EffectsLab Pro User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

I think that the oddest -1 I have seen was when the negative vote was explained that the thread was "off topic". The thing is, the thread was in the General Discussion section of the forum, where things are *allowed* to be off topic. Am I wrong?
Posted: Mon, 29th Sep 2003, 4:39pm

Post 7 of 71

Hajiku_Flip

Force: 3786 | Joined: 2nd Jun 2002 | Posts: 1669

Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

nitroviper007 wrote:

I think that the oddest -1 I have seen was when the negative vote was explained that the thread was "off topic". The thing is, the thread was in the General Discussion section of the forum, where things are *allowed* to be off topic. Am I wrong?
No, thats not the way I mean off-topic. That board is for off-topic discussions, as you said. But, to take someone else's thread and and make IT go off-topic is not right. Sort of confusing, but I think you catch my drift. General Discussion is for off-topic threads from Film-Making and whatnot. But taking someone's thread about 'The new Matrix Trailer' or something and starting to post funny pictures with no relevance or asking someone who posted a question about a thread you made, that's totally different. Make sense? tard
Posted: Mon, 29th Sep 2003, 4:43pm

Post 8 of 71

BackOfTheHearse

Force: 2660 | Joined: 17th Nov 2001 | Posts: 1099

EffectsLab Pro User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

No, I understood what you were saying perfectly. I hate thread hijackers too. Something like that IS unacceptable. But what I was referring to was a thread that was started as something off-topic, in the general discussions section, and was thrown a heavy -1 for being in the right section of the forum.
Posted: Mon, 29th Sep 2003, 5:05pm

Post 9 of 71

sidewinder

Force: 4937 | Joined: 5th Aug 2001 | Posts: 2453

FXhome Movie Maker Windows User MacOS User

SuperUser

I think you're just sad that you have so many negatives. razz

I don't have problem with the new rating system, other than the fact that it's hard to get more force points. look at my ratings, and yet my force has changed a bit.
Posted: Mon, 29th Sep 2003, 5:08pm

Post 10 of 71

Hajiku_Flip

Force: 3786 | Joined: 2nd Jun 2002 | Posts: 1669

Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

Sidewinder, that's partly because the system just started adding force last night. Check your diary to see how much you recieved. Next Sunday, you will receive more based on how you rank in the best posters category (Community > Best posters).

But you brought up a good point. It is harder to get force points now since you have to constantly compete with others. Now, do you think it's fair to spend an hour helping someone and recieve a +1, while others are copy/pasting links from a website of funny things and getting +2's? Who should be getting more there? How would you make the system so that things would be fair for both parties?
Posted: Mon, 29th Sep 2003, 5:27pm

Post 11 of 71

Exclamation

Force: 2067 | Joined: 28th Mar 2003 | Posts: 480

CompositeLab Pro User EffectsLab Pro User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

I knew eventually I'd get a -1 for this smile
Posted: Mon, 29th Sep 2003, 5:29pm

Post 12 of 71

Kid

Force: 4177 | Joined: 1st Apr 2001 | Posts: 1876

EffectsLab Lite User VideoWrap User Windows User

Gold Member

Rating: +1

I think that people posting random pictures cos they think they are funny should get -1s. If people want to go and see that they can go to a website that has loads of them.

This is an effects site and so things should be at leat vaguely related to film making, effects, or to do with the community.
Posted: Mon, 29th Sep 2003, 5:31pm

Post 13 of 71

Exclamation

Force: 2067 | Joined: 28th Mar 2003 | Posts: 480

CompositeLab Pro User EffectsLab Pro User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Rating: -2

Ironically this topic is now off topic - it wasnt started to do with images...
Posted: Mon, 29th Sep 2003, 5:35pm

Post 14 of 71

Hajiku_Flip

Force: 3786 | Joined: 2nd Jun 2002 | Posts: 1669

Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

Exclamation wrote:

Ironically this topic is now off topic - it wasnt started to do with images...
No, it's not off topic at all. You complained (Not lashing at you, just can't think of a good word confused ) about the abundance of -1's latley. The only negatives that I've seen are in the thread about posting funny pictures. And since this is a debate, we need examples to state a case, so I chose to use the picture thread as an example.

I agree with Kid about the pictures thing. If you occasionally have a link to a fantastic site with many amusing things, you can post that. But I think posting over and over again with pictures from one website for force is a little abundant and unnecessary. unsure
Posted: Mon, 29th Sep 2003, 5:39pm

Post 15 of 71

Exclamation

Force: 2067 | Joined: 28th Mar 2003 | Posts: 480

CompositeLab Pro User EffectsLab Pro User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Well, I am now backing out of typing into this topic, it makes my head hurt tard (I will raed though)
Posted: Mon, 29th Sep 2003, 5:44pm

Post 16 of 71

wpl

Force: 1782 | Joined: 17th Jul 2002 | Posts: 1389

Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

Just stay on topic and stay neutral and you won't get any -1s. thats what I do.

but as you can see I don't hae as much as say mecha. although he steps out there and gives advise on the more controversial topics and gets alot +1s from the senior members that see his advise as good. You can see also that he gets -1s also (most of which from the noobs that r to sensitive)

or you could be like Hajiku_Flip and be a SUPER helpful alamdv freak and get force that way.

just remember you need to post up to date, relevant, usefull and SOMETIMES funny stuff and you should be good.


(BTW I allmost gave you a -1 for posting that bunny pic. it was in no way helpful to me)
Posted: Mon, 29th Sep 2003, 5:48pm

Post 17 of 71

BackOfTheHearse

Force: 2660 | Joined: 17th Nov 2001 | Posts: 1099

EffectsLab Pro User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

What if pictures and such just got NO rating if they didn't affect another thread's point? I feel that it being in the General Discussion area, it doesn't matter. Remember, just because it is a picture doesn't mean you have to care. You don't have to look at every post, ya know? And if it looks like something you're not interested in, don't bother to get involved for the sake of "Hahaha, I have the MINUS ONE POWER!" I myself cannot remember ever giving a -1 to someone, either because someone already had, or the post had no effect on me, whether positive or negative. I could care less, as long as it doesn't hijack another thread.
Posted: Mon, 29th Sep 2003, 5:51pm

Post 18 of 71

Kid

Force: 4177 | Joined: 1st Apr 2001 | Posts: 1876

EffectsLab Lite User VideoWrap User Windows User

Gold Member

Yeah but you dont know what it is till you've looked at it and realised its a waste of your time. The point of ratings is to stop those posts which are pointless as well as offensive ones.
Posted: Mon, 29th Sep 2003, 5:53pm

Post 19 of 71

wpl

Force: 1782 | Joined: 17th Jul 2002 | Posts: 1389

Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

although is a general discussion forum it has topics inside it that are NOT general. take my pc help thread, I wanted help with my computer not a stupid picture of a bunny with a pncake on his head.
Posted: Mon, 29th Sep 2003, 6:18pm

Post 20 of 71

Ice_Man

Force: 1390 | Joined: 26th Nov 2002 | Posts: 1208

Windows User

Gold Member

yeah, you look at a picture, realize that it's a waste of time, so you do what? waste more time giving it a pithy minus one rating? yeah, that makes sense.

and how many of you actually DON'T read the posts with minus one's? everyone reads the minus one posts, if nothing else to find out why they were rated minus one!


man, if you take yourself so seriously that you can't take 10 seconds to look at a picture that someone else thought you'd appreciate, then you need to loosen up a bit.
Posted: Mon, 29th Sep 2003, 6:30pm

Post 21 of 71

wpl

Force: 1782 | Joined: 17th Jul 2002 | Posts: 1389

Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

ah yes but those people on dial-up wait and wait and wait for a picture to load that they think is a relevant response to thier topic, and then r disapointed to see some stupid pic that shouldn't have ever been created much less posted on the thread.

the whole point of the -1s in the rating system is to keep irelevant or unappropriate content out of threads.

Your right people do read -1 posts it to find out why they got it, but it will also let that person reading know not to post something like that in future.
I don't think the reason for the -1s is so you don't read it as much as it is a guilde line as to what not to post.
Posted: Mon, 29th Sep 2003, 6:42pm

Post 22 of 71

Kid

Force: 4177 | Joined: 1st Apr 2001 | Posts: 1876

EffectsLab Lite User VideoWrap User Windows User

Gold Member

Rating: +1

Yeah the idea is that you see a pic that was a waste of time and take the extra second or two to rate it down. Then the next person comes along and thinks twice about doing it again.

You say I am taking the ratings too seriously but my response is that I dont. Thats why I am quick to give out -1s for useless or offensive posts but also quick to give out ones for helpful posts.

I don't rate funny posts up because its lame when everyone is trying to be funny for ratings rather than just for fun. That would also encourage the noobs to post a whole slew of stuff in the hope that people will find one funny and give them some ratings which is the problem we have at the moment. You need to reward quality not quantity.
Posted: Mon, 29th Sep 2003, 6:46pm

Post 23 of 71

wpl

Force: 1782 | Joined: 17th Jul 2002 | Posts: 1389

Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

well said.

I think one of the mods should take that -1 away from Exclamation. I think this topic need to be talked about.
Posted: Mon, 29th Sep 2003, 6:55pm

Post 24 of 71

Kid

Force: 4177 | Joined: 1st Apr 2001 | Posts: 1876

EffectsLab Lite User VideoWrap User Windows User

Gold Member

Rating: +1

You shouldn't cancel out ratings because you think they are wrong, that is bad use of the ratings system. If we are having a discussion about improper use then that should be #1 on the list!
Posted: Mon, 29th Sep 2003, 6:57pm

Post 25 of 71

Hajiku_Flip

Force: 3786 | Joined: 2nd Jun 2002 | Posts: 1669

Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

Also keep in mind that voting a +1 to even out a -1 is really like giving out a +2. -1's don't count towards your overall +1 count for force, so by doing that you are throwing off the system. mad
Posted: Mon, 29th Sep 2003, 7:03pm

Post 26 of 71

wpl

Force: 1782 | Joined: 17th Jul 2002 | Posts: 1389

Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

well I gave it a +1 because I thought it needed to be disscused. not to throw off the -1.
Posted: Mon, 29th Sep 2003, 7:11pm

Post 27 of 71

Hajiku_Flip

Force: 3786 | Joined: 2nd Jun 2002 | Posts: 1669

Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

WiRyPoCkEtLiNt wrote:

well I gave it a +1 because I thought it needed to be disscused. not to throw off the -1.
Then in that case, it's okay. Just be careful and realize what your voting for.
Posted: Mon, 29th Sep 2003, 7:13pm

Post 28 of 71

Kid

Force: 4177 | Joined: 1st Apr 2001 | Posts: 1876

EffectsLab Lite User VideoWrap User Windows User

Gold Member

Yes but you shouldn't be rating topics you should be rating individual posts. Rating the first post cos you think the topic needs to be discussed also isn't proper rating use razz
Posted: Mon, 29th Sep 2003, 7:19pm

Post 29 of 71

wpl

Force: 1782 | Joined: 17th Jul 2002 | Posts: 1389

Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

No it isn't.

by rating that a +1 I am saying that you should read that post. It's a good post because alot of noobs are getting -1s and I think they r getting alittle confused.

(What am I doing tard I thought I was allwas the neutral one)
Posted: Mon, 29th Sep 2003, 7:35pm

Post 30 of 71

anonymous

I agree with all of you that the act of posting pictures hoping to get a laugh and a plus one is lame

I'd rather see the old voting system in place, but with a slight modification : have teh +1 funny ratings have no effect. dose 10 force for the 'helpful', 'insightful', 'useful' etc., but nothing for the 'funny's. that way, people can still rate something funny, but noobs won't gain anything from it. since it seems to be the noobs we're trying to dissuade.

Wirey wrote:


but it will also let that person reading know not to post something like that in future.
you and I both know that doesn't actually work in practice. in theory it's a great idea; but so is communism, and we all know how that turned out.

I'd bet money that these 'noobs' that we're trying to discourage, don't think 'I shouldn't do that', instead they think 'I need to find a funnier picture'
Posted: Mon, 29th Sep 2003, 7:42pm

Post 31 of 71

Kid

Force: 4177 | Joined: 1st Apr 2001 | Posts: 1876

EffectsLab Lite User VideoWrap User Windows User

Gold Member

Yeah but then they see that they get a +1 and it encourages them, they dont realise that they get no force for it.

People have been posting things for ratings recently even though there was no force being given out!
Posted: Mon, 29th Sep 2003, 7:45pm

Post 32 of 71

wpl

Force: 1782 | Joined: 17th Jul 2002 | Posts: 1389

Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

Ice_Man wrote:

instead they think 'I need to find a funnier picture'
oh gosh that's true oink
Posted: Mon, 29th Sep 2003, 8:11pm

Post 33 of 71

sidewinder

Force: 4937 | Joined: 5th Aug 2001 | Posts: 2453

FXhome Movie Maker Windows User MacOS User

SuperUser

Rating: +1

I like the negative ratings beause peope like Exclamation get their panties in a bunch.
Posted: Mon, 29th Sep 2003, 8:15pm

Post 34 of 71

wpl

Force: 1782 | Joined: 17th Jul 2002 | Posts: 1389

Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

heh

that is a good point.
Posted: Mon, 29th Sep 2003, 8:51pm

Post 35 of 71

anonymous

that's funny sidewinder, I totally laughed out loud biggrin
Posted: Mon, 29th Sep 2003, 8:52pm

Post 36 of 71

anonymous

I wish there was a way we could force people new to the forums to actually read the Forums FAQs. . . .
Posted: Mon, 29th Sep 2003, 9:21pm

Post 37 of 71

4036Douglas

Force: 920 | Joined: 8th Jun 2003 | Posts: 893

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User

Gold Member

umm... i kinda feel that this is somewhat directed torward me... i got -2 on a post with pictures in it. i do believe that people should use -1s when posts are off topic, like if somebody posted a picture for no reason in a topic about, say, "my alamdv2 stopped working and i lost my serial and i really need help and nobody post pictures in this toipic unless its helping me cause i need help to get alam working and to get a new serial and i have a slow modem so i dont want unneccesary pictures to slow down my modem"(sry, had to do that). but i posted the pictures in a topic titled "Funny Pics" where the pictures belonged. i dont think that they were off topic. they didnt seem oiffending to me... and with a title like "funny pics", people who wanted to save time with a slow modem should be warned by reading the title... just my little opinion.
P.S.-if this wasnt directed torwards me at all, im gonna go crawl back into my little hole and read this without posting anymore.
Posted: Mon, 29th Sep 2003, 9:28pm

Post 38 of 71

Hajiku_Flip

Force: 3786 | Joined: 2nd Jun 2002 | Posts: 1669

Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

I think the main problem here is that people are getting +1's for the pictures. I don't mean to point fingers, but take Exclamation for example. Just by posting pictures from a website, he got +6. Where as someone who posted an interesting article or solution to a probelm would only get +1. So why would people post interesting things if all they had to do was copy/paste a link they found online to a funny webpage? Then other's see that this is an easy way to get force, and they do it too. And soon enough, the whole board is covered with images so everyone can get force. It defeats the purpose of the system, and spams the boards. People are giving out -1's in the Funny Pictures thread to put a stop to it before things get out of hand. Already I can count 4 threads filled with a 'funny' video or picture with numerous +1's without even scrolling down. Yet I see tons of helpful posts that have no ratings at all.. Do you guys not see the problem with that?

Last edited Mon, 29th Sep 2003, 9:34pm; edited 1 times in total.

Posted: Mon, 29th Sep 2003, 9:30pm

Post 39 of 71

4036Douglas

Force: 920 | Joined: 8th Jun 2003 | Posts: 893

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User

Gold Member

ok. i guess i will go crawl into my little hole then.
i do see your point flip.
btw, i new this would turn into a big debate!
Posted: Tue, 30th Sep 2003, 6:04am

Post 40 of 71

Ice_Man

Force: 1390 | Joined: 26th Nov 2002 | Posts: 1208

Windows User

Gold Member

Hajiku_Flip wrote:

Already I can count 4 threads filled with a 'funny' video or picture with numerous +1's without even scrolling down. Yet I see tons of helpful posts that have no ratings at all.. Do you guys not see the problem with that?
the only real problem I see with that, is that you feel it neccessary to negatively rate picture posts, and not positively rate truly helpful posts.

if you see tons of helpful posts with no ratings, then rate them. that would be a much better use of your time than dosing out minus ones to picture posts.
especially since you can hand out minus ones till you're blue in the face, but it's not going to stop newbies from posting 'funny' pictures.
Posted: Tue, 30th Sep 2003, 12:02pm

Post 41 of 71

Hajiku_Flip

Force: 3786 | Joined: 2nd Jun 2002 | Posts: 1669

Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

Rating: +1

Ice_Man wrote:


especially since you can hand out minus ones till you're blue in the face, but it's not going to stop newbies from posting 'funny' pictures.
No, we can stop newbies from posting funny pictures, and thats by discouraging the repetetive posting of pictures before it starts. The only way to do this is with -1's, since nobody likes to see that glaring back at them.


Ice_Man wrote:



if you see tons of helpful posts with no ratings, then rate them. that would be a much better use of your time than dosing out minus ones to picture posts.
I always rate helpful posts when I see them. I'm trying to say not enough of the community are contributing to the rating system. Seriously, go look at the latest amount of picture or video threads, and count the number of +1's. Then go around and see how long it takes you to find the same equivalent in +1's from actual helpful posts. You'll see it's not easy to do.

I think people expect this place to be helpful (which is a good thing razz) so that is why they don't bother to take the time to vote. If people just remember to rate whenever they read something that they find new, interesting, or helpful then we won't have such an imbalance.
Posted: Tue, 30th Sep 2003, 5:48pm

Post 42 of 71

anonymous

Rating: +1

has it worked so far, Hajiku? rating minus ones for funny pictures hasn't deissuaded any newbies yet. . . heck, it hasn't even really dissuaded forum veterans.

and for every newbie you somehow DO manage to stop from doing that, another 2 join the forum and post their own 'funny pics' anyway.

now, if I'm reading the intent of your last paragraph right, you're saying there should be a somewhat concerted effort to positively rate the helpful contributions? I fail to see how a large influx of -1 ratings will help do that. if anything I see it as discouraging the noobs from posting helpful items as well, for fear that someone might not find it as useful as they did.
because that's the problem. . . noobs post a pic they find as new and funny, and then everyone flames them for being behind the times. take exclamation's thread on the soccer goalie save he'd just seen, and then everyone jumps down his throat for not having seen it before.
as another example, take b4uask's picture thread with the concentric circles. he thought the "hypnotic" effect was neat, and as I recall, a number of people posted and said they thought it was neat too, then someone else comes along and tells them they're all wrong, and that it's truly not funny. or interesting. or what-have-you.

now, to get to my point, someone posts a link to a tutorial that they think is useful. what's to stop people from rating minus one because they've seen the tutorial before, or they just felt that it wasn't quite good enough and was a waste of their precious dial up time loading a page they've already seen. or perhaps the page just isn't useful to them in particular?
Posted: Tue, 30th Sep 2003, 9:27pm

Post 43 of 71

Hajiku_Flip

Force: 3786 | Joined: 2nd Jun 2002 | Posts: 1669

Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

Ice_Man (logged out) wrote:

has it worked so far, Hajiku? rating minus ones for funny pictures hasn't deissuaded any newbies yet. . . heck, it hasn't even really dissuaded forum veterans.
Have you seen any threads directly related to a funny picture website since ? I sure haven't. Since you seem to believe it hasn't helped, how about you point me in the right direction and show me a link to a new thread I have missed...

Ice_Man (logged out) wrote:

now, if I'm reading the intent of your last paragraph right, you're saying there should be a somewhat concerted effort to positively rate the helpful contributions? I fail to see how a large influx of -1 ratings will help do that. if anything I see it as discouraging the noobs from posting helpful items as well, for fear that someone might not find it as useful as they did.
A large influx of negative ratings randomly strewn about would not help. Not making an example of posting funny pictures and getting tons of force for it would. That is why some of us vote -1's now, to keep it from becoming something that is accepted as a cheap subsitute to posting something helpful for force.

Ice_Man (logged out) wrote:

take exclamation's thread on the soccer goalie save he'd just seen, and then everyone jumps down his throat for not having seen it before.
Everyone telling you that they've seen it before is the risk you take when posting a link to clips like that. As far as jumping down his throat goes, I'm not so sure about what you mean, seeing as how his post has +4 neutral . Now take a look at this link concerning HollywoodWoody looking for information on two cameras. Many, many people provided useful information in that thread, and not a single one got a helpful rating. By your views, maybe they should post a link to something on stupid.com?

Ice_Man (logged out) wrote:

now, to get to my point, someone posts a link to a tutorial that they think is useful. what's to stop people from rating minus one because they've seen the tutorial before, or they just felt that it wasn't quite good enough and was a waste of their precious dial up time loading a page they've already seen. or perhaps the page just isn't useful to them in particular?
I think your starting to stretch things a bit. Going to a forum based on filming techniques and special effect discussion, you would expect to see many tutorials on a wide variety of subjects. Some of these may be review, and some may teach you something new. There would be no reason for you to ever dish out a -1 when someone is helping others.

The bottom line here is that people are posting funny pictures because they know it's an easy way to earn force, and that negative ratings don't affect them. After reading this thread I think most of them have learned from their ways, hence the abscence of any threads like that. None of us are saying it's absolutley wrong to make a thread concerning something amusing, just don't make it a habit or a way to abuse the force system.

Anyone else like to get in on this discussion? I'd like to hear more views. smile
Posted: Tue, 30th Sep 2003, 9:35pm

Post 44 of 71

sidewinder

Force: 4937 | Joined: 5th Aug 2001 | Posts: 2453

FXhome Movie Maker Windows User MacOS User

SuperUser

-1s are good cuz they tell you when your posts suck.

+1s are good cuz they tell you when your posts are good.
Posted: Wed, 1st Oct 2003, 2:35am

Post 45 of 71

Ice_Man

Force: 1390 | Joined: 26th Nov 2002 | Posts: 1208

Windows User

Gold Member

hajiku wrote:

Have you seen any threads directly related to a funny picture website since ?
since what? you'll have to give me the point of reference you're coming from. . . as I'm not following you totally.
I was referring to the funny pictures thread started by . . . . oh heck, I don't remember who started it anymore, but that's not the point;
I guess my take on it is, most of the threads that deal with the pointless pictures and frivolous video clips generally have a thread title that aptly reflects the content of the thread - i.e., the funny pictures thread titled funny pics. if you don't want to 'waste your time' then quite obviously don't look into a thread with a title to the tune of "funny pictures" or "funny video" or "I laughed so hard I crapped my pants" etc.

hajiku wrote:

some of us vote -1's now, to keep it from becoming something that is accepted as a cheap subsitute to posting something helpful for force.
again, my suggestion would be to implement the old rating system, except have the "+1 Funny" not dole out any force. I feel that would be more fair and more encouraging than -1's.

hajiku wrote:

As far as jumping down his throat goes, I'm not so sure about what you mean
from what I recall, several of the responses were to the tune of "that's old! you're behind the times!"
and it's actually at a plus 3, because of someone like you rating it a minus one.

hajiku wrote:

Many, many people provided useful information in that thread, and not a single one got a helpful rating.
so rate them.

hajiku wrote:

By your views, maybe they should post a link to something on stupid.com?
odd. I don't seem to recall saying that I condone the practice of post spamming pictures to gain prestige. . . . . merely that I don't agree with the large number of negative ratings against said practice. there are other ways of getting the point across than throwing minus ones around.

hajiku wrote:

The bottom line here is that people are posting funny pictures because they know it's an easy way to earn force, and that negative ratings don't affect them
I'll refrain from re-iterating my suggestion for the voting system, as I've already said it twice.
Posted: Wed, 1st Oct 2003, 2:46am

Post 46 of 71

Hajiku_Flip

Force: 3786 | Joined: 2nd Jun 2002 | Posts: 1669

Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

Ice_Man wrote:

hajiku wrote:

Have you seen any threads directly related to a funny picture website since ?
since what? you'll have to give me the point of reference you're coming from. . . as I'm not following you totally.
You said that negative ratings don't stop funny picture threads. Since the threads were rated, no more posts like that have been put up. In my opinion, that means it's working. wink

Ice_Man wrote:

but that's not the point;
I guess my take on it is, most of the threads that deal with the pointless pictures and frivolous video clips generally have a thread title that aptly reflects the content of the thread
Never have I once argued that threads like that 'waste my time'. They don't trick me into going there. My main argument all along has been that people post them directly for force instead of trying to make helpful posts because they know thats an easier alternative.

Ice_Man wrote:

from what I recall, several of the responses were to the tune of "that's old! you're behind the times!"
and it's actually at a plus 3, because of someone like you rating it a minus one.
There were responses that this had already been posted, and I had addressed that in my post. I was referring to the fact that he had many +1's, so hardly anyone was jumping down his throat. And while it says +3, negatives don't do a thing, so he really earned +4. Maybe we need a quick review of the Rating FAQ?

Ice_Man wrote:

hajiku wrote:

Many, many people provided useful information in that thread, and not a single one got a helpful rating.
so rate them.
Why should I be the only one partcipating in the system?

Ice_Man wrote:

I'll refrain from re-iterating my suggestion for the voting system, as I've already said it twice.
Then how about we bring up some new points instead of reiterating the same hish hash all over again? unsure
Posted: Wed, 1st Oct 2003, 2:53am

Post 47 of 71

Kid

Force: 4177 | Joined: 1st Apr 2001 | Posts: 1876

EffectsLab Lite User VideoWrap User Windows User

Gold Member

Rating: +1

Yeah I don't read every post that someone makes, especially if its something I know already or have answered several times. However a lot of them still deserve positive ratings for being helpful and perhaps maybe to stop noobs asking those same questions again.

Its not my job to go round rating all the good stuff and anyway I can't rate myself for being helpful. I rate things where I can when I read something that is helpful or useless/offensive. If only a couple of people are rating and they have to go through everything then its a lot of hard work, whereas if everyone is rating when they get helped rather than just when they are amused it all works a lot smoother.
Posted: Wed, 1st Oct 2003, 3:12am

Post 48 of 71

Ice_Man

Force: 1390 | Joined: 26th Nov 2002 | Posts: 1208

Windows User

Gold Member

hajiku wrote:

Since the threads were rated, no more posts like that have been put up. In my opinion, that means it's working
not really. since the 'funny pics' thread we all seem to be using as reference, there have been no less than three new threads all with content that has no intrinsic value to the film making community. and all in the span a day or two.
another thing, out of all the posts with pictures in the 'funny pics' thread, out of 21 posts, only 5 of them had a minus one attached to them
of that 21, 8 have recieved at least one positive rating, and of that, 5 have recieved 2 or more postive ratings.
If we're trying to send the forum denizens a message, it certainly seems a bit mixed to me.

hajiku wrote:

Never have I once argued that threads like that 'waste my time'.
I never said you did. but it was an argument that was brought up.

hajiku wrote:

Maybe we need a quick review of the Rating FAQ?
psh. good one.

anyway -

hajiku wrote:

And while it says +3, negatives don't do a thing, so he really earned +4.
doesn't matter what he earned. only matters what shows. otherwise rating them minus one wouldn't do anything anyway.

hajiku wrote:

Why should I be the only one partcipating in the system?
because up until that last post by kid, you were the only one touting that there were mass quantities of useful posts unrated. you complain about it, you do something about it.

as far as yours and Kid's arguments about how more people should rate truly helpful posts, I agree whole-heartedly.

hajiku wrote:

Then how about we bring up some new points instead of reiterating the same hish hash all over again?
pot? this is kettle. . . . . razz
Posted: Wed, 1st Oct 2003, 3:26am

Post 49 of 71

Hajiku_Flip

Force: 3786 | Joined: 2nd Jun 2002 | Posts: 1669

Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

Rating: +1

I think we all have the same goal in mind here, just different views on how to go about achieving this goal. So far it has only been me, you, and Kid, which is why I'd like to see more people get involved. Noone else here has any other opinions? razz
Posted: Wed, 1st Oct 2003, 3:34am

Post 50 of 71

Ice_Man

Force: 1390 | Joined: 26th Nov 2002 | Posts: 1208

Windows User

Gold Member

Rating: +1

True, true.

Heheh, I don't think we'll have too many other responses. Well not too many others aside from the usual "I agree with ______". We've pretty much covered all the angles between the three of us. . . . . .

But yeah, I'd love to hear some other's takes on this.
Posted: Sat, 18th Oct 2003, 5:33am

Post 51 of 71

Slick

Force: 1140 | Joined: 20th Jul 2003 | Posts: 924

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User

Gold Member

Rating: +2

Well personaly this has happaned to me. I posted funny pics and got a whole bunch of -1 then figured out why. Then it stopped and the topic went to the second page of the forums, but as soon as I posted something and got a +1 someone went back to the topic and rated me -1 its been happening everscence and I cant figure out who or why. Maby they are jelous taht Im getting +1 when they arent I dunno but it gets annoying. I tryed to bug flip about it but he couldnt do anything because the topic I posted was stupid. Well Ive learned my lesson and am personally happy with the new rating system even with all the -1 flying around its not like force affects your entire life ( I take that back it means alot to some people like it use to to me but ive changed sence my Ultra N00b days) unsure I SHOULD HAVE NEVER MADE THAT THREAD!!! SORRY neutral Now all this mess was started mainly because of me confused

But I would like to take a go at this "Funny Pics" has -1 as things like "Sollthar Sightings" only get +1 and up and also "Flame On" gets +1 and no -1. I wonder why and if you check in "Funny Pics" I got the most -1 ratings when others only got -1 one time. Some one is after me I tell you !! ( not that I care it would jsut be nice if they stopped)

Also I think it is true that for every one n00b you stop (me) 2 more join in. I think it would work out much better if the -1 actually counted if you got a -1 it would take away 10 points form your force that way people would not post stuff like "Funny Pics" any more. Of course we all know the newbies are here thinking that force is theyre life and they will be respected here if they do have it. Therefore if -1 counted as -10 force points then the posts would start to go away with a few examples set for them of course.

I have many different views on this topic. I have posted one of the funny threads and reading this made me releize it was wrong. But also it is true that only spam and off topic posts are soppose to be rated -1 . If the topic is called "Funny Pics" and you know its gonna be useless to you dont click on it jsut so you can vot -1 for the fun of it leave it alone. On the other hand dont rate it +1 eather it is not intended to be useful it is intended to be funny not to get ratings jsut to get bored people to laugh.

But as I said I have many different views at this subject this is a good debate and needs to be discussed!

http://fxhome.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10314 see this its my map of the internet post even things like just the post saying yah got rated +1 but me putting up the picture to see if people would like it gets -2 I jsut think its pure unfair. I now that " Funny Pics" was wrong but this?
Posted: Sat, 18th Oct 2003, 7:13am

Post 52 of 71

b4uask30male

Force: 5619 | Joined: 22nd Feb 2002 | Posts: 3497

Windows User

Gold Member

i've noticed on helpfull posts or good idea posts that if someone gets a +1 from someone, another person gives a -1
such as this.
http://fxhome.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10434&highlight=competition

I never did like the -1's it's open to abuse and can stop the people that want to get high force from not getting it.
Posted: Sat, 18th Oct 2003, 7:27am

Post 53 of 71

Slick

Force: 1140 | Joined: 20th Jul 2003 | Posts: 924

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User

Gold Member

yah Ive noticed that too if someone gets a plus one for a good idea why go and rate them -1 if all they were doing is seeing if you liked the idea or not its not hurting anybody. Some people are abusing the rating system jsut for the pure fun of it and it needs to be stopped!
Posted: Sat, 18th Oct 2003, 8:26am

Post 54 of 71

Kid

Force: 4177 | Joined: 1st Apr 2001 | Posts: 1876

EffectsLab Lite User VideoWrap User Windows User

Gold Member

I almost gave slick a -1 for that post for comedy value but decided on a +1 as it seems he is actually changing his ways.

B4uask: It doesn't really matter when someone gives you a -1 to try and counteract a +1 because -1s are ignored for force and you still get the +1. What is wrong is when someone gets a -1 and then someone else comes along and gives it a +1 to cancel it out usually because they didn't understand why it was given. The poster actually ends up getting positive force when no one intended it to get a rating above 0.

This happens a lot in the current system and also mods quite often remove ratings without seeing why they were given. We need a way of giving a reason for the rating without haing to post in the thread which distracts from the current conversation. This may also help mods cut down on the number of -1 ratings for when people simply disagree with the poster and other incorrect usage of the system.
Posted: Sat, 18th Oct 2003, 10:49am

Post 55 of 71

er-no

Force: 9531 | Joined: 24th Sep 2002 | Posts: 3964

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 2 Pro User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User MacOS User

SuperUser

Personally, I preferred the old way. cool
Posted: Sat, 18th Oct 2003, 11:01am

Post 56 of 71

Exclamation

Force: 2067 | Joined: 28th Mar 2003 | Posts: 480

CompositeLab Pro User EffectsLab Pro User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

slick wrote:

I think it would work out much better if the -1 actually counted if you got a -1 it would take away 10 points from your force....
Yes, but wouldnt that lead to MORE misuse?
Posted: Sat, 18th Oct 2003, 2:36pm

Post 57 of 71

Slick

Force: 1140 | Joined: 20th Jul 2003 | Posts: 924

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User

Gold Member

Rating: -1

Yah thats true. Ok I take back what I said before it shouldnt be -1 takes away 10 force. I would recommend that the Mods and Administration of FxHome start getting more strict and actually coming up with ways to punish people that do that.

If you read my top post I was saying that things like "Solthar Sightings" or "Flame on" dont get -1s but when I posted "Funny Pics" it had -1 I dont get it. To me it seemed like someone was rating me for the pure fun of it the same goes for my "Map of the Internet" topic. tard
Posted: Sat, 18th Oct 2003, 3:44pm

Post 58 of 71

Marek

Force: 2225 | Joined: 25th Dec 2002 | Posts: 1754

EffectsLab Lite User FXpreset Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Here's my two cents:

Basically, if you ask me, there should be a team (if you will) of people that have the job checking for misused ratings and since they could see who voted, they should punish the accused with... I don't know, maybe -5 force or something. This team couldnt be any of the mods (since they have a much more important job) but it could be a few highly qualified FXHome regulars that are can be trusted and are just over-all good guys.

If we (meaning the mods and admins wink ) could round up a team, then the mods can do thier jobs of keeping the forums safe from explicit material and stuff. While the "Force Team" (tentative title smile ) could work on fixing unfair votes and things like that. cool
Posted: Sat, 18th Oct 2003, 3:50pm

Post 59 of 71

Slick

Force: 1140 | Joined: 20th Jul 2003 | Posts: 924

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User

Gold Member

Rating: +1

Good idea Marek but if this team got started it would have to be completly secret to prevent arguments with the people on the team, plus it would mean that there would be more work for malone and we dont want to disturb him now do we wink Seems like a good idea but could cause more problems and only the most trustworthy people would get chosen if it did happen. My opinion is that malone isnt gonna make a team like that because cleaning up the forums is the mods job.
Posted: Sat, 18th Oct 2003, 3:58pm

Post 60 of 71

Exclamation

Force: 2067 | Joined: 28th Mar 2003 | Posts: 480

CompositeLab Pro User EffectsLab Pro User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

But that is what Mods do. All of it.

The do the ratings along with every other thing you said (like removing bad language or explict content)
Posted: Sat, 18th Oct 2003, 4:07pm

Post 61 of 71

Slick

Force: 1140 | Joined: 20th Jul 2003 | Posts: 924

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User

Gold Member

If you would read my post I jsut said that Malone probably wouldnt do that because thats all the mods job. But its a good idea to give the mods some extratime with all these -1 going around some are for reason I understand but others like " Map of the Internet" topic are jsut for no apperant reason.
Posted: Sat, 18th Oct 2003, 4:09pm

Post 62 of 71

Exclamation

Force: 2067 | Joined: 28th Mar 2003 | Posts: 480

CompositeLab Pro User EffectsLab Pro User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Sorry, I replied after reading Mareks one, then when I went to delete it you had posted this, preventing me from doing so.
Posted: Sat, 18th Oct 2003, 4:37pm

Post 63 of 71

Slick

Force: 1140 | Joined: 20th Jul 2003 | Posts: 924

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User

Gold Member

Oh sorry about that... Any way I think something should be done to stop it. Like if you know the post is jsut ment for people to try to get funny pictures for force then it should be deleted, or even better let people rate it but take off the +1 they get and only leave the -1. Seems crule but it may jsut work to stop it hugegrin
Posted: Sat, 18th Oct 2003, 7:31pm

Post 64 of 71

Ice_Man

Force: 1390 | Joined: 26th Nov 2002 | Posts: 1208

Windows User

Gold Member

I think when it gets right down to it, I'm with er-no. . . . I prefer the old way.
this whole idea of a team of people with the job of assessing rate values is actually quite ridiculous. but that's just me.

"A team of specialists armed with the task of returning great justice to these grand forums!"

can ya feel the camp? wink razz
Posted: Sun, 19th Oct 2003, 4:35pm

Post 65 of 71

Slick

Force: 1140 | Joined: 20th Jul 2003 | Posts: 924

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User

Gold Member

I would probably say the old rating system was better, but I wasnt around then frown . The new one is ok seeing as its harder to get force and you have to be more useful. Im gonna start a thread with a poll on who wants the new rating system and who would like the old one back.
Posted: Sun, 19th Oct 2003, 4:36pm

Post 66 of 71

AndrewtheActorMan

Force: 1859 | Joined: 31st May 2003 | Posts: 1477

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

Ok slick, shield yourself for the negative ratings! biggrin
Posted: Sun, 19th Oct 2003, 4:45pm

Post 67 of 71

Slick

Force: 1140 | Joined: 20th Jul 2003 | Posts: 924

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User

Gold Member

Oh well someone deleted it ( probably Malone he dosent wanna go changing it again) well Im pretty happy with the new system but there were some flaws like the funny posts and all those -1s now sad
Posted: Sun, 19th Oct 2003, 4:48pm

Post 68 of 71

AndrewtheActorMan

Force: 1859 | Joined: 31st May 2003 | Posts: 1477

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

there are too many posts of pictures lately, lets stick to one topic
Posted: Sun, 19th Oct 2003, 4:58pm

Post 69 of 71

Slick

Force: 1140 | Joined: 20th Jul 2003 | Posts: 924

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User

Gold Member

Yah we need to not go off topic there has just been another one I cant believe people dont come across this. "They Found Nemo" why do people post all new topics it would be cool if just my Funny Pictures thread would hold all the Funny Pictures without new topics being made... Or maby there not even be pictures like that posted any more wink
Posted: Mon, 20th Oct 2003, 8:46am

Post 70 of 71

Kid

Force: 4177 | Joined: 1st Apr 2001 | Posts: 1876

EffectsLab Lite User VideoWrap User Windows User

Gold Member

Rating: +2

slick wrote:

If you read my top post I was saying that things like "Solthar Sightings" or "Flame on" dont get -1s but when I posted "Funny Pics" it had -1 I dont get it.
The difference is that in the funny pics topic people were posting over and over pics from the same site (which is devoted to funny pics) in order to get force. In Sollthar sightings for example the emphasis was on having a bit of fun and people were actually putting in the effort to make the pics themselves.
Posted: Sun, 26th Oct 2003, 8:53pm

Post 71 of 71

Slick

Force: 1140 | Joined: 20th Jul 2003 | Posts: 924

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User

Gold Member

Yes that is true, but how do you then explain flamers they took those off a web site too. Also dont take this the wrong way but flamers seemed to be posted in order to get force.