You are viewing an archive of the old fxhome.com forums. The community has since moved to hitfilm.com.

Why I Go Mac

Posted: Fri, 9th Jan 2004, 6:41am

Post 1 of 71

CX3

Force: 3137 | Joined: 1st Apr 2003 | Posts: 2527

EffectsLab Lite User VideoWrap User MacOS User FXhome Movie Maker

Gold Member

This is pretty funny. Video of Gates demonstrating windows 98 and it crashes ha

http://cobraproductions.filmspace.biz/windows.mov


*Note: Not intended for another windows/mac debate. Just for a good laugh. ha... well... atleast i laughed...
Posted: Fri, 9th Jan 2004, 8:33am

Post 2 of 71

Aculag

Force: 8365 | Joined: 21st Jun 2002 | Posts: 8581

EffectsLab Lite User VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

Haha. And they could have shot that at ANY time and it would have done the same thing. Heh.
Posted: Fri, 9th Jan 2004, 12:32pm

Post 3 of 71

Brettsta

Force: 3385 | Joined: 15th Nov 2003 | Posts: 2114

VisionLab User FXpreset Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

heh, I saw that a while ago when I was searching for a video on lycos' video search.
Posted: Fri, 9th Jan 2004, 5:07pm

Post 4 of 71

novaHunter

Force: 230 | Joined: 25th Jun 2002 | Posts: 36

EffectsLab Lite User MacOS User

Gold Member

Something way better (or more scary) is Steve Ballmer jumping around like a crazed sweaty ape. I don't have the links anymore, but it was featured on As the Apple Turns. Yeesh, the scars still hurt.

(For some Leonard Nemoy scariness, check out this clip.)
Posted: Sun, 11th Jan 2004, 12:42am

Post 5 of 71

Superman

Force: 605 | Joined: 24th Feb 2003 | Posts: 72

EffectsLab Lite User MacOS User

Gold Member

novaHunter wrote:

(For some Leonard Nemoy scariness, check out this clip.)
Oh. My. God.
Posted: Sun, 11th Jan 2004, 1:35am

Post 6 of 71

cantaclaro

Force: 2036 | Joined: 24th Oct 2001 | Posts: 875

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

Superman wrote:

Oh, My God.
Posted: Sun, 11th Jan 2004, 2:21am

Post 7 of 71

Superman

Force: 605 | Joined: 24th Feb 2003 | Posts: 72

EffectsLab Lite User MacOS User

Gold Member

Not many men can wear tights like that. biggrin
Posted: Sun, 11th Jan 2004, 3:30am

Post 8 of 71

Aculag

Force: 8365 | Joined: 21st Jun 2002 | Posts: 8581

EffectsLab Lite User VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

But they do.
Posted: Sun, 11th Jan 2004, 6:12am

Post 9 of 71

Superman

Force: 605 | Joined: 24th Feb 2003 | Posts: 72

EffectsLab Lite User MacOS User

Gold Member

...And look good. biggrin
Posted: Sun, 11th Jan 2004, 12:25pm

Post 10 of 71

TAP2

Force: 1128 | Joined: 8th Jan 2003 | Posts: 1848

Windows User

Member

Why I Go Windows...

If you're not a total dumbass, and you know that cramming windows os pcs full up with crap slows it down, and you have the correct hardware, a pc can outperform a mac in most aspects.

MACS are useless for gamers, like myself, they have useless graphics cards and crappy PC>MAC Conversions. On the subject, they have useless compatability.

You need to be a proper rich kid to buy yourself a mac.
I could probably buy a Dual 3.2GHZ for the price of a G5.

Macs look nicer, crash less and that's it.

Stop taking the piss out of poor Bill, as far as I'm conserned, he's done a great job with Windows and it's very very very very very tricky for programmers to stop errors occuring in such a complicated programme.
Posted: Sun, 11th Jan 2004, 12:38pm

Post 11 of 71

Mantra

Force: 1888 | Joined: 25th Nov 2002 | Posts: 551

EffectsLab Lite User MacOS User

Gold Member

"Stop taking the piss out of POOR Bill..."

and there was I thinking he was a multi-billionaire meglo-maniac wink
Posted: Sun, 11th Jan 2004, 2:37pm

Post 12 of 71

TAP2

Force: 1128 | Joined: 8th Jan 2003 | Posts: 1848

Windows User

Member

lol, I was waiting for someone to pick that out biggrin
Posted: Sun, 11th Jan 2004, 2:49pm

Post 13 of 71

cantaclaro

Force: 2036 | Joined: 24th Oct 2001 | Posts: 875

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

You windoze guys are kind of running out of room in this whole debate...the concession that TAP2 made about macs being nicer and more stable is the reason that I enjoy being on computers. Why would anyone want to be on an operating system that it 10 years behind the leader?? The sheer silliness of the windoze operating system makes me want to barf every time i sit down at one of the machines... As our computers get faster yours will only get more clunky and clumsy until you are at the store shopping macs just like me.

Canta unsure
Posted: Sun, 11th Jan 2004, 2:53pm

Post 14 of 71

Brettsta

Force: 3385 | Joined: 15th Nov 2003 | Posts: 2114

VisionLab User FXpreset Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

TAP2 wrote:

You need to be a proper rich kid to buy yourself a mac.
I could probably buy a Dual 3.2GHZ for the price of a G5.

Mac processors are faster than windows processors.

CX3 wrote:

*Note: Not intended for another windows/mac debate
End the debate.
Posted: Sun, 11th Jan 2004, 3:23pm

Post 15 of 71

Pooky

Force: 4834 | Joined: 8th Jul 2003 | Posts: 5913

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User MacOS User FXhome Movie Maker

Gold Member

Brettsta wrote:

TAP2 wrote:

You need to be a proper rich kid to buy yourself a mac.
I could probably buy a Dual 3.2GHZ for the price of a G5.

Mac processors are faster than windows processors.
The G5 (the fastest Mac processor) is dual 2GHz. That does not mean it is 4GHz. It is still 2 GHz, only you can have more applications running at the same time and such. It is NOT faster than a 3,4 GHz PC, that costs the same price.

Anyway, you're right, it's better to end the debate here.

Last edited Sun, 11th Jan 2004, 3:24pm; edited 1 times in total.

Posted: Sun, 11th Jan 2004, 3:24pm

Post 16 of 71

cantaclaro

Force: 2036 | Joined: 24th Oct 2001 | Posts: 875

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

But Hz don't run on the mac the same way they run on the pc.

Canta unsure
Posted: Sun, 11th Jan 2004, 3:25pm

Post 17 of 71

Pooky

Force: 4834 | Joined: 8th Jul 2003 | Posts: 5913

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User MacOS User FXhome Movie Maker

Gold Member

That doesn't add a whole GHz.
Posted: Sun, 11th Jan 2004, 3:26pm

Post 18 of 71

cantaclaro

Force: 2036 | Joined: 24th Oct 2001 | Posts: 875

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

you would be surprised Mr. I have been computing for 3 years.
Posted: Sun, 11th Jan 2004, 3:38pm

Post 19 of 71

TAP2

Force: 1128 | Joined: 8th Jan 2003 | Posts: 1848

Windows User

Member

Guys, I didn't intend to start a debate... although they are fun biggrin
Lets leave it as , 'Windows & Mac both have ups and downs'
Posted: Sun, 11th Jan 2004, 3:39pm

Post 20 of 71

Pooky

Force: 4834 | Joined: 8th Jul 2003 | Posts: 5913

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User MacOS User FXhome Movie Maker

Gold Member

Yah
Posted: Sun, 11th Jan 2004, 3:41pm

Post 21 of 71

TAP2

Force: 1128 | Joined: 8th Jan 2003 | Posts: 1848

Windows User

Member

Anyway, back to the debate... smile

3.2ghz > Dual 2Ghz
Posted: Mon, 12th Jan 2004, 1:33am

Post 22 of 71

novaHunter

Force: 230 | Joined: 25th Jun 2002 | Posts: 36

EffectsLab Lite User MacOS User

Gold Member

How about changing the debate? Which CEO is better? The ape-man Ballmer, or the suave Jobs? I think the jeans and mock turtleneck are the height of fashon.
Posted: Mon, 12th Jan 2004, 3:31am

Post 23 of 71

CX3

Force: 3137 | Joined: 1st Apr 2003 | Posts: 2527

EffectsLab Lite User VideoWrap User MacOS User FXhome Movie Maker

Gold Member

Look, i said no debating, lets end it here. Macs are better end of discussion... wink
Posted: Mon, 12th Jan 2004, 3:34am

Post 24 of 71

Brettsta

Force: 3385 | Joined: 15th Nov 2003 | Posts: 2114

VisionLab User FXpreset Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

They both have there advantages. However, most of it is personal preference. Macs are more geared toward media. That's a fact.
Posted: Mon, 12th Jan 2004, 4:00am

Post 25 of 71

Jagg

Force: 1580 | Joined: 5th Apr 2003 | Posts: 133

VisionLab User Windows User

Gold Member

Rating: +1

Macs- They're great with video, look good right out of the box, are stable, and even though they have slower speeds, the mac os and software take a lot less power to run, so they can put out the same amount of power as a high end windows pc.

Windows- Unlike a mac, they're highly customizable. One thing that you can do with them that you don't get the option of with a mac, is custom building. I have a great, extremely powerful pc that i've been able to change the appearance of with a new case and some mods. Windows pc's are aimed towards gaming more than media, as mentioned before. The os and software may take more power to run, but that is compensated for with the higher speed processors. Also, the games are given power by the more advanced video cards, which are also not an option for macs, mainly because they are not needed.

Although i'm a windows user myself, when it comes to video, mac is definately the way to go... However, if this is not the only thing that you want you're pc to do, then windows is a better bet. By the way, watch Pirates of Silicon Valley if you've never seen it... great movie about Microsoft and Apple when they were just starting out
Posted: Mon, 12th Jan 2004, 4:05am

Post 26 of 71

Brettsta

Force: 3385 | Joined: 15th Nov 2003 | Posts: 2114

VisionLab User FXpreset Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

Ahh, the infamous blue screen of death eek . Windows would be so much better if the error message was better looking, heh. wink Anyways, as I said before they both have advantages. I personally like them both, and am not going to put one over the other.
Posted: Mon, 12th Jan 2004, 4:07am

Post 27 of 71

cantaclaro

Force: 2036 | Joined: 24th Oct 2001 | Posts: 875

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

Rating: +2

No, Pirates of Silicon Valley is a great movie about when micro$oft used to steal from Apple...Oh wait they are still doing that...All the time...Jerks!

Canta unsure
Posted: Mon, 12th Jan 2004, 6:51am

Post 28 of 71

WithSwissCheese

Force: 220 | Joined: 19th Apr 2003 | Posts: 49

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User

Gold Member

What are you mac people gonna do when all the Windows 98 and NT 4 machines are out of service? What are you gonna make fun of to make yourself feel better about your over priced falling behind technology?

I mean I could make fun of people who still use VHS camcorders, but it would just be a little sad, don't you think? <evil grin>
Posted: Mon, 12th Jan 2004, 7:04am

Post 29 of 71

cantaclaro

Force: 2036 | Joined: 24th Oct 2001 | Posts: 875

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

No, windoze is and will continue to be 10 years behind the Macintosh Operating System. windoze xp is an absolutely crap operating system...really nothing more than windows 98 with a cool new skin on top. Apple is chipping at this little pedestal that Billy Gates has built from the sweat and blood of the innovators at Apple. Soon everyone will realize the crap that they have been spoon fed for the better part of a decade hasn't been a better operating system but a slowly rotting exoskeleton of windoze which will reveal a corny dos like interior. Mark my words windoze won't last another decade.

Canta unsure
Posted: Mon, 12th Jan 2004, 2:39pm

Post 30 of 71

Superman

Force: 605 | Joined: 24th Feb 2003 | Posts: 72

EffectsLab Lite User MacOS User

Gold Member

cantaclaro wrote:

Mark my words windoze won't last another decade.

Canta unsure
I wouldnt go that far... But being in the graphics business for 12 years, I have yet to see an OS from Microsoft that will cause me to consider switching. My primary aps are Illustrator and Photoshop, and although they run very similar cross-platform, it still isn't the same. I prefer the Mac.

And XP, although I agree its much better than previous versions of Windows, it ain't no OS X.
Posted: Mon, 12th Jan 2004, 3:52pm

Post 31 of 71

CX3

Force: 3137 | Joined: 1st Apr 2003 | Posts: 2527

EffectsLab Lite User VideoWrap User MacOS User FXhome Movie Maker

Gold Member

Ive gone both ways, worked on pc and mac. Most people who use pc and have never used mac (or they only use the old os9's in school) say that that mac sux and they will stay pc. I say once you try both, and i mean the top systems on both, then you can really voice an opinion. I made the switch (i feel like im in the damn commercial) and there is nothing right now that would ever make me go back to pc.

*cut scene to the apple logo with www.apple.com at the bottom*
Posted: Mon, 12th Jan 2004, 6:10pm

Post 32 of 71

Superman

Force: 605 | Joined: 24th Feb 2003 | Posts: 72

EffectsLab Lite User MacOS User

Gold Member

OS 9? When I was in school, we had System 6... On Mac SE 30s... LOL

Posted: Mon, 12th Jan 2004, 6:19pm

Post 33 of 71

TAP2

Force: 1128 | Joined: 8th Jan 2003 | Posts: 1848

Windows User

Member

I know...

Apple's website is way more organised than microsoft's wilderness.
Posted: Mon, 12th Jan 2004, 7:18pm

Post 34 of 71

raider

Force: 774 | Joined: 25th Mar 2002 | Posts: 360

Windows User

Gold Member

what is sooo much better?? I, personally, am just fine with my pc performance. I always hear how mac is better at video and I trust that but I really don't know in what way or if it's so much better to just switch platforms. What, does it render an hour and a half movie in seconds? Clear me up! I got really turned off on apple by using it in high school (the BASIC editor was less intuitive than on a pc) - I just didn't like it. I also appreciate the plethora of apps, programs, and support the pc has. I do notice that advertisements proudly and excitingly display that their product also is available for the mac (like it's a rarity)...
Posted: Mon, 12th Jan 2004, 7:28pm

Post 35 of 71

Brettsta

Force: 3385 | Joined: 15th Nov 2003 | Posts: 2114

VisionLab User FXpreset Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

The apple's in schools, or at least the old ones we had suck. If you get a good one, theres nothing better smile
Posted: Mon, 12th Jan 2004, 7:34pm

Post 36 of 71

Sollthar

Force: 13360 | Joined: 30th Oct 2001 | Posts: 6094

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 2 Pro User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User MacOS User

SuperUser

You can't just compare HZ numbers guys... crazy

It depends on the processor. Even if you'd have one of the old Motorola Chips as 100 GHZ it would still be slower than a G4 at 100 MHZ...

So you can't just say a G5 with 1 GHZ is slowe than a pentium 4 with 3 GHz just because the number is different. Thats something only a real computernoob would say. wink
Posted: Mon, 12th Jan 2004, 7:35pm

Post 37 of 71

Sollthar

Force: 13360 | Joined: 30th Oct 2001 | Posts: 6094

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 2 Pro User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User MacOS User

SuperUser

I have a mac and a pc. I prefer my Mac in any aspect. It just... works... smile

The only reason I have a PC is for gaming and because there are some apps not available for Macs unfortunately.
Posted: Mon, 12th Jan 2004, 7:43pm

Post 38 of 71

raider

Force: 774 | Joined: 25th Mar 2002 | Posts: 360

Windows User

Gold Member

so it's the reliability factor. That I could see. I think I'll just make sure to back up though. I would like to try mac - just too expensive to go and buy one for trial purpose.
Posted: Mon, 12th Jan 2004, 8:07pm

Post 39 of 71

Sollthar

Force: 13360 | Joined: 30th Oct 2001 | Posts: 6094

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 2 Pro User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User MacOS User

SuperUser

Yeah, thats one of the big downsides of Macs. They're awfully expensive... crazy
Posted: Mon, 12th Jan 2004, 8:52pm

Post 40 of 71

Superman

Force: 605 | Joined: 24th Feb 2003 | Posts: 72

EffectsLab Lite User MacOS User

Gold Member

Sollthar wrote:

Yeah, thats one of the big downsides of Macs. They're awfully expensive... crazy
So is a Corvette compared to a Grand Am. Doesn't mean the Corvette sucks...
Posted: Mon, 12th Jan 2004, 8:52pm

Post 41 of 71

Colincsl

Force: 260 | Joined: 8th Jan 2004 | Posts: 278

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User

Gold Member

Aren't you guys comparing Windows and Apple, not PC and Apple.

Linux>Apple>Windows
Posted: Mon, 12th Jan 2004, 9:02pm

Post 42 of 71

Sollthar

Force: 13360 | Joined: 30th Oct 2001 | Posts: 6094

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 2 Pro User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User MacOS User

SuperUser

So is a Corvette compared to a Grand Am. Doesn't mean the Corvette sucks...
True. Thats why I didn't say it sucks. smile
Posted: Mon, 12th Jan 2004, 9:54pm

Post 43 of 71

CX3

Force: 3137 | Joined: 1st Apr 2003 | Posts: 2527

EffectsLab Lite User VideoWrap User MacOS User FXhome Movie Maker

Gold Member

Ok so whats the score on this lil mac debate that wasnt sposed to happen?... like... Mac: 8pts Windows: -2pts.... ? is that it? ha
Posted: Mon, 12th Jan 2004, 10:19pm

Post 44 of 71

raider

Force: 774 | Joined: 25th Mar 2002 | Posts: 360

Windows User

Gold Member

ha - way to feed fuel to the fire! smile
Posted: Mon, 12th Jan 2004, 10:23pm

Post 45 of 71

Andreas

Force: 4943 | Joined: 9th Apr 2002 | Posts: 2657

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 2 Pro User MuzzlePlug User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User MacOS User

SuperUser

Read thrugh this site, very intersting test Mac vs PC!

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=7-6451-6410
Posted: Mon, 12th Jan 2004, 11:22pm

Post 46 of 71

Pooky

Force: 4834 | Joined: 8th Jul 2003 | Posts: 5913

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User MacOS User FXhome Movie Maker

Gold Member

Yes, hold on a second.

Facts:

-Microsoft isn't as good as apple.

-OS X and Windows XP both have up and down sides.

-PC's and Mac's both have ups and down sides.


Something to think about:

-PC's and Macs are two things

-Apple and Microsoft are two things

-XP and OS X are two things.

This means you can't compare Macs with Windows.

Also, most people say they love Apple only because they hate Microsoft. Try to forget all your hate and frustration from windows 98/95 and see if that changes something. Personally I don't have any problem with XP.


Also, the reason we never hear about the blue screen of death on OS X is because when a Mac crashes, it's white wink

Last edited Mon, 12th Jan 2004, 11:29pm; edited 4 times in total.

Posted: Mon, 12th Jan 2004, 11:24pm

Post 47 of 71

Slick

Force: 1140 | Joined: 20th Jul 2003 | Posts: 924

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User

Gold Member

Windows dosent have to look bad! You can download new theams for windows to make it look like you want it and another thing is the Mac has much less software to purchase and has bearly any games. The Mac may look good right out of the box but when it comes to it once you custimize a PC it will be way better.... And if your looking for a high end PC then check out the ailienwares Ive custumized one that ran around 5000 bucks and came with a 30" Display about 500 gigs of memory and 2 gigs of ram now Im sure that out beats a g5 and you dont even build it yourself! BTW I didnt buy the alienware just tryed custimizing one on there site biggrin I can dream cant I!
Posted: Mon, 12th Jan 2004, 11:31pm

Post 48 of 71

Pooky

Force: 4834 | Joined: 8th Jul 2003 | Posts: 5913

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User MacOS User FXhome Movie Maker

Gold Member

Yes, Windows can be customized to look EXACTLY like OS X... so OS X's looks don't count in this debate.
Posted: Mon, 12th Jan 2004, 11:35pm

Post 49 of 71

cantaclaro

Force: 2036 | Joined: 24th Oct 2001 | Posts: 875

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

Pooky you are an idiot. It doesn't matter if they both have ups and downs, which one has more downs ::cough:: windoze ::cough:: is the question you should be asking. And your whole logic behind 2 things being non comparable is just plain idiocy. 2 things that are in the same category of functionality can always be compared. Slick you can get a Dual 2 GHZ Apple with 8 GB of ram. 2 GB and costs $5000 give me a break...

Canta unsure
Posted: Mon, 12th Jan 2004, 11:41pm

Post 50 of 71

Pooky

Force: 4834 | Joined: 8th Jul 2003 | Posts: 5913

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User MacOS User FXhome Movie Maker

Gold Member

I'm saying a PC doesn't equal Windows.

And people, please, try to be a little more open minded, instead of just calling people idiots because you don't agree crazy

Hrmm, just noticed, earlier someone said OS 9 was an old thing that shouldn't be used to compare. And a bit earlier, someone said Windows 98 can be used to compare... well, OS X and OS 9 have as many differences ans XP and 98. Canta, you say XP is the same as 98, but it depends on the machine. I have been on a really bad PC where windows XP crashed all the time, yet my XP machine rarely crashes, in fact, I only remember it crashing twice... and check my specs, they aren't all that great.
Posted: Mon, 12th Jan 2004, 11:58pm

Post 51 of 71

cantaclaro

Force: 2036 | Joined: 24th Oct 2001 | Posts: 875

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

pooky wrote:

I'm saying a PC doesn't equal Windows.
Well duh, but come on when somebody says PC you think of the majority. windoze is the majority at the moment.

pooky wrote:

And people, please, try to be a little more open minded, instead of just calling people idiots because you don't agree.
I'm not calling you an idiot because I don't agree, I'm calling you an idiot because the majority of your points are ludicrous and unfounded.

pooky wrote:

Hrmm, just noticed, earlier someone said OS 9 was an old thing that shouldn't be used to compare. And a bit earlier, someone said Windows 98 can be used to compare... well, OS X and OS 9 have as many differences ans XP and 98. Canta, you say XP is the same as 98, but it depends on the machine. I have been on a really bad PC where windows XP crashed all the time, yet my XP machine rarely crashes, in fact, I only remember it crashing twice... and check my specs, they aren't all that great.
OSX and OS9 are as different as night and day. Ask any software developer they'll let ya know. OSX is Unix at the core, its as stable as an operating system can get. windoze on the other hand hasn't changed for the most part since they stole the GUI from Apple back in the late 80's early 90's. It still has the same clunky look and feel that has become a plague on the computing industry.

Canta unsure
Posted: Tue, 13th Jan 2004, 12:07am

Post 52 of 71

Pooky

Force: 4834 | Joined: 8th Jul 2003 | Posts: 5913

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User MacOS User FXhome Movie Maker

Gold Member

cantaclaro wrote:

It still has the same clunky look and feel that has become a plague on the computing industry.
That can be changed. As I said, you could even get it to look exactly like OS X.


Anyway, let's just calm down and say that you prefer macs and I like both.
Posted: Tue, 13th Jan 2004, 12:48am

Post 53 of 71

canadian1der

Force: 0 | Joined: 10th Dec 2001 | Posts: 13

Windows User

Member

For everyone saying that Microsoft stole their GUI from Apple, it is true, they did copy many great ideas from Apple, but you have to remember that Apple also took the idea for their original GUI from an OS developed by Xerox corp. wink I remember this from a documentary I watched in Junior High because my teacher was an Apple Maniac. Here's a link
http://cognitivevent.com/gui.html
Posted: Tue, 13th Jan 2004, 1:05am

Post 54 of 71

cantaclaro

Force: 2036 | Joined: 24th Oct 2001 | Posts: 875

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

Yeah but there is a difference from Apple buying it when Xerox couldn't sell it and micro$oft stealing it when apple was selling millions...

Canta unsure
Posted: Tue, 13th Jan 2004, 1:48am

Post 55 of 71

CX3

Force: 3137 | Joined: 1st Apr 2003 | Posts: 2527

EffectsLab Lite User VideoWrap User MacOS User FXhome Movie Maker

Gold Member

chalk another 1 on apples side of the board... haha
Posted: Tue, 13th Jan 2004, 2:01am

Post 56 of 71

Pooky

Force: 4834 | Joined: 8th Jul 2003 | Posts: 5913

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User MacOS User FXhome Movie Maker

Gold Member

Posted: Tue, 13th Jan 2004, 2:31am

Post 57 of 71

Magic_man12

Force: 853 | Joined: 20th Mar 2002 | Posts: 1350

Windows User MacOS User

Member

HA ha - mac vs pc (windows) debates are great.

Personally I prefer windows.

Why?......

"macs look good out of the box"

Whats wrong with what a Dell looks like? I dont think it looks any worse than any mac out there.....and on a minor point, WHO CARES what the box that holds the goods looks like eek! If mac brags about "looking" better your probably paying more for just what it looks like on the outside (i bet the metal cases for the G5's aren't cheap haha)

I was rather dissapointed the first time i used a G5. It a couple months ago at school (seneca college). BRAND new computers - Final Cut pro 4 ready to go. Worked for 10 mins, and "Final Cut Pro 4 has blah blah blah and will close" - no save or anything. So the whole "Mac's dont mess up etc," is a bunch of BS, because this was a BRAND new G5 (and it happened to more than just me).

The first time i used a mac, was a G4 in an audio suite at school. People complain about the "blue screen of death". I've been on windows XP for more than a year and have NEVER SEEN IT. EVER! and i use this computer EVERYDAY. Maybe if you were on windows 98? Anyways, back to the G4 in the audio suite - my first time using a mac......1 hour into using it....all of the sudden the mouse stops moving.......nothing works....cant do anything.... 20 minutes later.....still the same... frozen solid! (didn't leave a good impression on me because it was my first time using a mac).

Loading my external hardrive on ANY windows XP machine - no prob! plug it in, all three new drives show up....no problems at all - yank the cord out when i want to take it out.
On a MAC....Sometimes only loads 1 of the drives (happened of 2 of the 5 G5 i tried) ...SOmetimes didn't even recognize it at all (happend on 1 of the 5 G5's ..all runnin OSX btw...) then it loaded all three new drives on the other two G5's i tried. Why didn't it work on the others? i dont know. And when i yanked the cord out...it tells you to F OFF and put it back in and drag the stuff into the trash! and it WONT do anything else untill you 1) do what it asks, or 2) pull the plug.

One last thing that puts Windows on the + side for me. My final video project for my video class. Everything i did to the video was done on my XP machine. (compositing , editing - everything) the final render for the entire movie took 1 hour - (12 mins long, 2.5 gigs - had to render lots of slo mo and filters etc etc...) Alright so movie done...BUT it has to be on a minidv tape. So i bring it to school and have to use a mac and final cut pro4 to put it on minidv (i dont have a minidv deck to do this at home) It took the mac 48 minutes just to prep the file to play back. Didn't have to read any filters, any changes of anykind. File - export to tape. 48 MINUTES!!! WHY?!?!?!?!?!?! (i was angry lol)

I like Windows better because everyone likes gaming every once in a while anyways (good luck with that on a mac).I've had far less bad experiences with windows than i have with mac osx and i HAVE used both XP and the newest OSX on G5's and XP on pentium 4's. So it's not like my comparisons are on older models and obsolete to debate about.


"Widoze wont be around in a decade" is a laughable statement! Do you really think that Apple by itself (as they are the only ones who make mac computers....) will really eliminate and put out of business all the companies that make pc's? Hewlett Packard? Dell (YA RITE!) Mircrosoft!!!! How about IBM? MDG? Even all the small tiny companies that make their own cheap brands of PC's.... Can apple go against all of this and win..... NOT IN A MILLION YEARS! Macs are just too expensive. The average person who wants a computer for the internet - music, and maybe typing stuff up will NEVER spend 3 grand + on a mac when they see adds for Pc's everyday for 799 etc etc etc.

Do i hate macs? no - i used them often @ school and have no problem with it. If i had the choice of what to use - definately windows.

-MAGIC
Posted: Tue, 13th Jan 2004, 2:46am

Post 58 of 71

FiveIronFrenzy

Force: 464 | Joined: 25th Dec 2003 | Posts: 438

Windows User

Gold Member

Guys, guys! Its a computer (Glorious music) we need not to fight! But, need to join in one...and love each other.

(Korny peace music)
Posted: Tue, 13th Jan 2004, 6:01am

Post 59 of 71

CX3

Force: 3137 | Joined: 1st Apr 2003 | Posts: 2527

EffectsLab Lite User VideoWrap User MacOS User FXhome Movie Maker

Gold Member

lol@pookys score board
Posted: Tue, 13th Jan 2004, 6:08am

Post 60 of 71

Aculag

Force: 8365 | Joined: 21st Jun 2002 | Posts: 8581

EffectsLab Lite User VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

pooky wrote:

cantaclaro wrote:

It still has the same clunky look and feel that has become a plague on the computing industry.
That can be changed. As I said, you could even get it to look exactly like OS X.
Sure, it can be changed, but have you noticed that it... HASN'T? Ahhhh.....
Posted: Tue, 13th Jan 2004, 9:15pm

Post 61 of 71

Pooky

Force: 4834 | Joined: 8th Jul 2003 | Posts: 5913

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User MacOS User FXhome Movie Maker

Gold Member

What I mean is, you can skin Windows using Windowblinds or StyleXP.

Oh and thanks to magic_man:




smile
Posted: Tue, 13th Jan 2004, 9:18pm

Post 62 of 71

anonymous

Ohhhh YEeeee

lol

-MAGIC
Posted: Tue, 13th Jan 2004, 9:25pm

Post 63 of 71

TAP2

Force: 1128 | Joined: 8th Jan 2003 | Posts: 1848

Windows User

Member

I've no problem with the origional xp style.
Posted: Tue, 13th Jan 2004, 10:15pm

Post 64 of 71

MechaForce

Force: 4654 | Joined: 3rd Aug 2001 | Posts: 1934

FXhome Movie Maker Windows User MacOS User

SuperUser

Who gives a crap? Get one of each like me!
Posted: Tue, 13th Jan 2004, 10:44pm

Post 65 of 71

pboniface

Force: 2335 | Joined: 3rd Sep 2003 | Posts: 366

VisionLab User Windows User

Gold Member

Well.. PC's, processors and memory is so cheap (Relative I guess) that rather than have a dual 2ghz apple for £5000.00. I have a render farm of 5 2.4Ghz PC's and can still use my P.C. to surf the web while its rendering.

Mind you...If someone offers me a G5 to "test" I wont say "No Thankyou"
Posted: Wed, 14th Jan 2004, 3:55am

Post 66 of 71

Hybrid-Halo

Force: 9315 | Joined: 7th Feb 2003 | Posts: 3367

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 3 Pro User MuzzlePlug User PowerPlug User FXpreset Maker Windows User MacOS User

SuperUser

Rating: +2

This topic's been going a long time considering people were asking to end the debate on page one. So allow me to be the first to say this.

GUYS, SHUT THE HELL UP.

Ultimately, no one cares whether the machine you sign your soul to bears an apple logo or runs the latest version of Windows. The reason we are all gathered here is Film. Film is a media that can be produced on both platforms with little difference between them. Maybe we should all concentrate more on the reason we are here as a pose to the means we arrive here. If that makes sense.

The windows Vs Mac debate will never be solved. A user who now segregates himself to one operating systems applications now risks missing out on picking up new revolutionary software on the other systems and effectively renders themselves out dated. I own one of each, just in order to keep up. Somehow I managed to accept this 3-4 years ago. When do you lot plan on catching up?
Posted: Wed, 14th Jan 2004, 4:08am

Post 67 of 71

er-no

Force: 9531 | Joined: 24th Sep 2002 | Posts: 3964

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 2 Pro User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User MacOS User

SuperUser

I've got both. Which I'm very thankful for! Still, Mac's are better.

*yawns, stirs the pot a bit more then goes and plays Mario Kart.

smile They are.
Posted: Wed, 14th Jan 2004, 7:13am

Post 68 of 71

CX3

Force: 3137 | Joined: 1st Apr 2003 | Posts: 2527

EffectsLab Lite User VideoWrap User MacOS User FXhome Movie Maker

Gold Member

hey lemme get in, im luigi!

*Hybrid - Let us have our fun, we at fxhome love a good debate, part of the reason the forums are so alive smile

and i agree w/ er-no... macs are better... *drops some more spice into the pot(
Posted: Wed, 14th Jan 2004, 10:50am

Post 69 of 71

Mantra

Force: 1888 | Joined: 25th Nov 2002 | Posts: 551

EffectsLab Lite User MacOS User

Gold Member

I'm with CX3, there are plenty of debates about a number of subjects, this just happens to be one of the 'tastier' ones. There is no harm done here, if people don't like the debate then don't get involved, it doesn't mean the subject matter isn't worth talking about.

I view computers and software as 'tools' to do a job. For me, Apple make a 'tool' I prefer using and if it works for me then I see know reason to change. In fact, when I got my very first Mac, 9 years ago, it was my friend who's a qualified Microsoft Engineer who pushed me towards them. All these years down the road and I have never looked back (and his opinion hasn't changed).

Whatever system you have, if its right for what you want to do then great! (But I'd recommend a Mac wink )
Posted: Wed, 21st Jan 2004, 3:13am

Post 70 of 71

Hybrid-Halo

Force: 9315 | Joined: 7th Feb 2003 | Posts: 3367

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 3 Pro User MuzzlePlug User PowerPlug User FXpreset Maker Windows User MacOS User

SuperUser

I ended a null debate with my own argument. Nothing wrong with that wink
Posted: Wed, 21st Jan 2004, 5:14pm

Post 71 of 71

CX3

Force: 3137 | Joined: 1st Apr 2003 | Posts: 2527

EffectsLab Lite User VideoWrap User MacOS User FXhome Movie Maker

Gold Member

Who said it ended?? muwhahahaha muwhahaaaa!... *crickets chirping*... im done...