You are viewing an archive of the old fxhome.com forums. The community has since moved to hitfilm.com.

Big Fish

Posted: Sat, 10th Jan 2004, 6:01am

Post 1 of 106

Cypher

Force: 3050 | Joined: 22nd Feb 2002 | Posts: 2126

EffectsLab Lite User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 4 Pro User PhotoKey 3 Plug-in User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

Big Fish is phenomenol.

Who's seen this? I was interested in the film because it looked different than what we've been dealt recently and saw it tonight. Wow. Best film of the year - it's amazing.

I've only given this to 4 other feature films in my entire life, and Big Fish is #5 with a big FIVE out of FIVE stars. It's great.
Posted: Sat, 10th Jan 2004, 6:13am

Post 2 of 106

jstow222

Force: 970 | Joined: 28th Oct 2002 | Posts: 1146

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User

Gold Member

Well were you doubting, as soon as I heard Tim Burton I knew it was going to be something different and cool, cant wait to see it.
Posted: Sat, 10th Jan 2004, 8:50am

Post 3 of 106

b4uask30male

Force: 5619 | Joined: 22nd Feb 2002 | Posts: 3497

Windows User

Gold Member

for those on the otherside of the pond any chance of given us an ideawhat it is?
Posted: Sat, 10th Jan 2004, 12:50pm

Post 4 of 106

AndrewtheActorMan

Force: 1859 | Joined: 31st May 2003 | Posts: 1477

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

Rating: +1

I am going to go see Big Fish this weekend *maybe*

It is the movie I have been waiting for, since i am a HUGE Tim Burton fan.




EDIT: If you want to see the Big Fish trailer and photos..etc.. - go here:
http://movies.go.com/movies/B/bigfish_2002/index.html#


Andrew biggrin
Posted: Sat, 10th Jan 2004, 2:23pm

Post 5 of 106

Sollthar

Force: 13360 | Joined: 30th Oct 2001 | Posts: 6094

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 2 Pro User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User MacOS User

SuperUser

Looking forward a lot to see it! it's a Tim Burton movie, what else could it be then ingenious. smile
Posted: Sat, 10th Jan 2004, 6:44pm

Post 6 of 106

FiveIronFrenzy

Force: 464 | Joined: 25th Dec 2003 | Posts: 438

Windows User

Gold Member

I can't be better than ROTK?! The special effect, and visual effects look great!

The Nerd
Posted: Sat, 10th Jan 2004, 11:31pm

Post 7 of 106

Mantra

Force: 1888 | Joined: 25th Nov 2002 | Posts: 551

EffectsLab Lite User MacOS User

Gold Member

Sollthar wrote:

Looking forward a lot to see it! it's a Tim Burton movie, what else could it be then ingenious. smile
It could be 'Planet of the Apes' smile

Seriously though , I am very much a fan of Tim Burton but Planet of the Apes 'scared' me in the way that most of John Woo's H/Wood films have, great director turning out less than great films within the H/Wood system.
Aagh!

Ed Wood, Edward Scissorhands, Sleepy Hollow... all great films, in my opinion, lets hope that Big Fish is another great film from the great director!
Posted: Sun, 11th Jan 2004, 7:24pm

Post 8 of 106

jstow222

Force: 970 | Joined: 28th Oct 2002 | Posts: 1146

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User

Gold Member

Its still not out here in my town. I called the theatre and just found out that they may never get it.
Posted: Sun, 11th Jan 2004, 8:45pm

Post 9 of 106

Ben

Force: 454 | Joined: 13th Feb 2002 | Posts: 97

Windows User

Gold Member

According to the odeon site we should get this on the 23rd, the same day as my chester interview, so i think i'll go see that after to take my mind off it (optimism)
Posted: Sun, 11th Jan 2004, 8:54pm

Post 10 of 106

er-no

Force: 9531 | Joined: 24th Sep 2002 | Posts: 3964

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 2 Pro User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User MacOS User

SuperUser

I'm really really looking forward to this, saw a short interview with Burton on it last night!

I hope its as excellent as I hope it will be. hehe wink
Posted: Sun, 11th Jan 2004, 9:39pm

Post 11 of 106

Coureur de Bois

Force: 1394 | Joined: 23rd Sep 2002 | Posts: 1127

VideoWrap User Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

This film looks like an artisitc masterpiece, can't wait to see it. Tim Burton never lets me down smile
Posted: Sun, 11th Jan 2004, 10:12pm

Post 12 of 106

jstow222

Force: 970 | Joined: 28th Oct 2002 | Posts: 1146

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User

Gold Member

Ok, I dont think Big Fish will be coming to my theatre. But I really want to see this movie without having to drive an hour 1/2 to do so, so I plan on putting out a stink, hopefully after enought requests they can get it. But apparently they are too conserned with cashing in on crap like Mona Lisa smile and cheaper by the dozen, bah, that and they are over priced.
Posted: Sun, 11th Jan 2004, 10:13pm

Post 13 of 106

cantaclaro

Force: 2036 | Joined: 24th Oct 2001 | Posts: 875

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

orion0340 wrote:

This film looks like an artisitc masterpiece, can't wait to see it. Tim Burton never lets me down smile
/me looks away and doesn't say anything about Planet of the Apes...
Posted: Sun, 11th Jan 2004, 10:15pm

Post 14 of 106

Coureur de Bois

Force: 1394 | Joined: 23rd Sep 2002 | Posts: 1127

VideoWrap User Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

cantaclaro wrote:


/me looks away and doesn't say anything about Planet of the Apes...
Well I liked it, hehe smile
Posted: Mon, 12th Jan 2004, 4:49am

Post 15 of 106

elementcinema

Force: 436 | Joined: 17th Dec 2003 | Posts: 814

Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

BIG FISH IS ANOTHER TYPICAL MOVIE FROM TIM BURTON~can the guy think of anything else? all his damn movies look and sound the same, its sad really. the movie is a bad movie. its very long paced i wanted to just leave but i couldnt. i can never leave a movie no matter how bad it is. its just the way i am. its not a movie you HAVE to go and see..if anything wait for it to come out on video. the effects were alright i guess..nothing new tho. just thouhgt i would let you guys know. if anyone else has seen it let me us know what you thouhgt,
Posted: Mon, 12th Jan 2004, 5:59am

Post 16 of 106

Cypher

Force: 3050 | Joined: 22nd Feb 2002 | Posts: 2126

EffectsLab Lite User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 4 Pro User PhotoKey 3 Plug-in User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

it's funny how out of everything, he comments on the effects.

Somebody was watching the movie for the wrong reasons wink
Posted: Mon, 12th Jan 2004, 3:31pm

Post 17 of 106

anonymous

alright well obviously i wasnt just commenting on the effects. and before you start ripping my comment apart, how about you go and see the movie first..and if you would like for me to break it down for you here it is..
cinematography is okay (3of5)
plot needs alot of work (it just dragged on and on, 2of5)
acting wasnt too bad actually
as is everyother movie by tim burton it is never story driven. his movies are just another excuse for trying new things and things that never make any sense in movies..(i.e. Nightmare before christmas, edward scissor hands) but the exception of BATMAN. batman was good if you compare it to batman 3 and 4. hopefully the new batman wont be as bad as those ones. if you did not know, the new batman film is coming out soon. it is called Batman: intimidation. director Christopher Nolan. he is known for Momento. one of the greatest movies ever written. but back to tim burton..notice how all his scores all sound the same in his movies. cinematography are the same. the stories in general context are always the same. please go and see elf instead of Big Fish.
Posted: Mon, 12th Jan 2004, 5:02pm

Post 18 of 106

elementcinema

Force: 436 | Joined: 17th Dec 2003 | Posts: 814

Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

i was the guest by the way above..i forgot to log in
Posted: Mon, 12th Jan 2004, 6:52pm

Post 19 of 106

Mantra

Force: 1888 | Joined: 25th Nov 2002 | Posts: 551

EffectsLab Lite User MacOS User

Gold Member

In respect to Tim Burtons films sounding the same, that's because he has teamed up with the same composer, Danny Elfman, for nearly all his films. Elfman does have a very distinct sound (mainly due to his use of brass) but most composers have there 'signature' sounds; Hans Zimmer and John Williams, for example both have strong signatures that make you go 'Ah, John Williams', etc.

Tim Burton, makes unusual (to a certain degree) films and Danny Elfman being a jazz musician complements his off the wall films perfectly, in my opinion.

I look forward to getting to see 'Big Fish' and i'll keep your comments in mind.
Cheers!
Posted: Mon, 12th Jan 2004, 7:41pm

Post 20 of 106

Amadeus0

Force: 300 | Joined: 8th Feb 2002 | Posts: 121

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User

Gold Member

I loved the cinematography. At times it just sparkled. In one scene he uses a camera cut to elapse time, and it's done with such easy skillfulness.

The music fit, nothing bad there.

The story was told in a straight forward manner, but that was a good thing considering the Story itself was based on past incidents being recreated in the present. Any other way might/would have presented certain problems.

The SpecialFX were cute and fit in (I'm talking mostly about the "Big fish" CG in the opening and used throughout the movie.)

It was a bit long, but that's due to the relaxed pacing that helped re-create the typical Southern Family enviroment (I know. I'm from the South. We love to talk, and tell stories...It was kinda of funny seeing it done like that on the silver screen.)

Overall a very well done movie. A Perfect Score. (In fact it might become the first -that wasn't a gift- "Drama" to make my DVD collection.)
Posted: Mon, 12th Jan 2004, 8:42pm

Post 21 of 106

jstow222

Force: 970 | Joined: 28th Oct 2002 | Posts: 1146

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User

Gold Member

elementcinema, you make yourself out to seem very young with those elemntary views on Tim burton's films. You apparently are watching films for the wrong reasons and obviously cant acknowledge filmaking as an artform. Also, why go see the film if you dislike Tim Burton's films so much?

Last edited Tue, 13th Jan 2004, 12:27am; edited 1 times in total.

Posted: Tue, 13th Jan 2004, 12:05am

Post 22 of 106

Cypher

Force: 3050 | Joined: 22nd Feb 2002 | Posts: 2126

EffectsLab Lite User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 4 Pro User PhotoKey 3 Plug-in User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

I love Danny Elfman's scores - he has the most original motifs, although the style may sound the same - but who's doesn't? and how can you compare elf to big fish? I can't - although if one asked me what they should see - i would instantly say big fish. elf was good, but that's it. It's already been forgotten by most.
Posted: Tue, 13th Jan 2004, 3:12pm

Post 23 of 106

elementcinema

Force: 436 | Joined: 17th Dec 2003 | Posts: 814

Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

jstow222 said :. You apparently are watching films for the wrong reasons and obviously cant acknowledge filmaking as an artform. Also, why go see the film if you dislike Tim Burton's films so much?

the reason why i saw the film because i have an open mind for every movie. it gives you little tips and new ways for when you make your own films. filmaking is an artform and thats why i hate it when ppl say how tim burton is so artistic and everything. its not true. you dont even know who he is..i know his background because i looked into him a long time ago. he first was a hair dresser for Paul thomas anderson (i hope you know who he is) and P.T.A owed tim a favour so he let him co-direct a film (i forget which one). the film was so wierd in a sense that some ppl liked it. he isnt artistic he just doesnt make sense and it seems fit. tim burton is not truly artistic like other filmmakers like Kevin Smith, Spike Jones and Darren Aronofsky (i hope to god you know who he is..) but anyway...do not tell me that i watch films for the wrong reasons. i dont watch them for the special effects, i dont watch them for myself. i watch them for others. lets me find ways to make my films better so other ppl will enjoy them. i also just plain old love movies. did you know that tim burton tried out for a superman film with the wb and wrote a horrible sript with polar bear fights and a giant spider?? SUPERMAN! not something that he can just do whatever he wants to. WB fired him obviously because he cant film nothing but his gay ass movies. same goes for PTA. if you do not know who any of the ppl i told you about are let me know and i will inform you. but i hope you do not need to be informed.
Posted: Tue, 13th Jan 2004, 3:59pm

Post 24 of 106

Mantra

Force: 1888 | Joined: 25th Nov 2002 | Posts: 551

EffectsLab Lite User MacOS User

Gold Member

Hey element!

You mentioned that Tim Burton was a hair dresser yet failed to mention he was an artist for Disney. Why emit that fact if you are arguing about 'artistry'? Just my point of view but if someones an artist I'm guessing that makes them artistic wink It's matter of personal taste after that.

Oh, and any credibility to your argument is completely undermined when you use phrases like, " because he cant film nothing but his gay ass movies." It's a shame you put that.

Cheers!
Posted: Tue, 13th Jan 2004, 8:45pm

Post 25 of 106

Cypher

Force: 3050 | Joined: 22nd Feb 2002 | Posts: 2126

EffectsLab Lite User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 4 Pro User PhotoKey 3 Plug-in User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

elementcinema wrote:

i dont watch them for myself. i watch them for others.
HA - then you ARE watching them for the wrong reasons if not for yourself.

elementcinema wrote:

tim burton is not truly artistic
And you truly dont' know what you're talking about.
Posted: Wed, 14th Jan 2004, 2:51am

Post 26 of 106

elementcinema

Force: 436 | Joined: 17th Dec 2003 | Posts: 814

Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

im not even gonna try with you guys anymore..its impossible..i brought up my point/opinion a long time ago and i figured that this is a forum with the freedom of speech, but no my opinion gets bashed. and the reason why i retaliated was because you guys seemed so sure of yourselfs. and also the fact taht tim burton was an artist for disney lol..no accomplishment there. but whatever thats MY opinion. if i wanted your opinions i would beat it into you! (joke) razz
Posted: Wed, 14th Jan 2004, 2:52am

Post 27 of 106

FiveIronFrenzy

Force: 464 | Joined: 25th Dec 2003 | Posts: 438

Windows User

Gold Member

I can't wait to see it....

eek
Posted: Wed, 14th Jan 2004, 3:36am

Post 28 of 106

Cypher

Force: 3050 | Joined: 22nd Feb 2002 | Posts: 2126

EffectsLab Lite User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 4 Pro User PhotoKey 3 Plug-in User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

dude lighten up - it's all for shits and giggles.
Posted: Wed, 14th Jan 2004, 1:46pm

Post 29 of 106

elementcinema

Force: 436 | Joined: 17th Dec 2003 | Posts: 814

Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

i know it is. its all good
Posted: Sat, 17th Jan 2004, 2:36am

Post 30 of 106

AndrewtheActorMan

Force: 1859 | Joined: 31st May 2003 | Posts: 1477

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

Wow...i just got back from seeing it, and it is now my favorite movie w/ the exception of Sleepy Hollow...yet another ARTISTIC Tim Burton movie. But Big Fish was just awsome.


I loved the way everything sorta had the "looks-real-at-first-glance-but-once-you-look-carefully-it-looks-slightly-surreal" look. Like the fish, it looked very artistic, but not 100% real, just slightly Tim Burton-ey. I can't say all the stuff that was excellent in it! For one, the shoe-on-the powerline idea was genious. Just how it was pulled off. Around here, you drive around and sometimes you see shoes on the powerline, and you just wonder, "Why is there a pair of shoes up there?" And all the stuff about the town being discovered and how it was destroyed/taken over....wow


Just my 2 cents...


OH! And Element Cinema? You sound like my theatre teacher...who thinks that film isnt an art....but i can bet you, if he was in a film, he would say it was art wink hehe


Andrew biggrin
Posted: Sat, 17th Jan 2004, 3:39am

Post 31 of 106

Aculag

Force: 8365 | Joined: 21st Jun 2002 | Posts: 8581

EffectsLab Lite User VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

elementcinema wrote:

tim burton is not truly artistic like other filmmakers like Kevin Smith
KEVIN SMITH!? How the hell can you include KEVIN SMITH in a list of ARTISTIC directors? Are you insane? Have you ever even SEEN a Kevin Smith Movie? Your other two, I can understand, even though they're not really THAT artistic. What about people like Baz Luhrmann? Or Wes Anderson? I guess it depends on how you define "Artistic", but I can say that I wouldn't call any of Kevin Smith's films a piece of art. Anyway, wow man. Tim Burton is not artistic, but KEVIN SMITH (!) is... Madness.
Posted: Sat, 17th Jan 2004, 3:56am

Post 32 of 106

jstow222

Force: 970 | Joined: 28th Oct 2002 | Posts: 1146

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User

Gold Member

I have only senn one Wes Anderson movie and that is Royal Tenenbaums, but I love it. One of the very few DVDs I own.
Posted: Sat, 17th Jan 2004, 4:19am

Post 33 of 106

Aculag

Force: 8365 | Joined: 21st Jun 2002 | Posts: 8581

EffectsLab Lite User VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

Watch his others. Rushmore is my favorite, and Bottle Rocket is his other, and first.
Posted: Sat, 17th Jan 2004, 6:54pm

Post 34 of 106

OneDanShow

Force: 260 | Joined: 16th Dec 2002 | Posts: 84

Windows User

Gold Member

I loved Big Fish and thought it was great.

Being a student that actually goes to Auburn University though (where Bloom and his wife met) it's funny because that wasn't our campus (it was Huntington in Montgomery) and AU doesn't have sorority houses.

The film was very well done, though, and I'll be sure to buy it on DVD.

As for Wes Anderson, you should check out Rushmore.
Posted: Sat, 17th Jan 2004, 7:48pm

Post 35 of 106

JohnCarter

Force: 3295 | Joined: 11th Mar 2003 | Posts: 1078

VisionLab User Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

Anonymous wrote:

but back to tim burton..notice how all his scores all sound the same in his movies. cinematography are the same. the stories in general context are always the same. please go and see elf instead of Big Fish.
Yeah, it's called a "style"... Something most directors don't have anymore nowadays. Burton has a signature style. If you don't like his "Style", don't go see Burton movies. They always be "stylized"... That's how he does things. That being said, you knew that going in since that was one of your first comments so why did you bother? To piss vinegar all over the guy's work? You are entitled to your opinion but I think people are also expecting better arguments than "gay ass" movies and "no stories". First it isn't true (although Mars Attack may qualify fot that) but Burton has made very strong movies.

BTW, he wasn't fired by Warner Bros. He dropped the project because Warner was shaking in their boots because of the fan reaction to Nicolas Cage casting (which was hare-brained, I'll give you that). Also, the Polar bears where requested by the producers, not Burton. Never heard about the giant spiders story so can't comment on that.

Also, Burton got his first break on his own merit from a short film he did all by himself, FrankenWeenie. Get your facts straight.
Posted: Sat, 17th Jan 2004, 9:25pm

Post 36 of 106

elementcinema

Force: 436 | Joined: 17th Dec 2003 | Posts: 814

Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

Kevin Smith is artistic no one ever thought could be possible..they way he portrays his opinions or his stories are very well done. have you seen dogma? chasing amy? because i can almost garentee you are just have a picture of jay and silent bob in your head. the stories he wrote not just for movies but comics, novels, etc. he wrote one of the best scripts for superman ever written but then Tim burton was hired by Warner Bros. because he has the better name on movies. and then burton ended up being fired because they didnt like his style and the story he wrote was ridiculously stupid. that doesnt really have much to do with artistic knowledge or anything but its just the fact that kevin smith is a no holds barred director. there is no line for him. he brought the bar up. and just the fact that he knows he doesnt have a style and that he isnt artistic makes him artistic. i put him up there with spike jones and darren because they are all directors who would tell a story based in reality and really get the point across. have you ever seen "Requiem For a Dream"? if not please do. at the end of that movie i sat and looked at the blank tv screen for almost 20 minutes in shock of because how good that movie is. it really made me think. none of tim burtons movies ever made me do that. reality was so well portrayed that you would think that you are watching somebody's life being filmed. and like i said before. im not saying that im right or anything. im just saying that these are my opinions..and i guess the only reason why i dont like tim burton is because he created "Edward Scissors hands" and he also RUINED BATMAN. why do you think they are making a new batman film?
Posted: Sat, 17th Jan 2004, 9:30pm

Post 37 of 106

elementcinema

Force: 436 | Joined: 17th Dec 2003 | Posts: 814

Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

once again these are MY opinions and i havent bashed yours so please speak your mind a respectful way.. biggrin
Posted: Sat, 17th Jan 2004, 9:31pm

Post 38 of 106

AndrewtheActorMan

Force: 1859 | Joined: 31st May 2003 | Posts: 1477

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

because people liked the other batman movies, and they desided to make more, although the ones he DIDNT direct were horrible.

And a reason of "Cuz he created Edward Scissorhands" is not a reason to say he isnt artistic, personally, that is one of my favorite movies.


Andrew unsure
Posted: Sat, 17th Jan 2004, 9:40pm

Post 39 of 106

elementcinema

Force: 436 | Joined: 17th Dec 2003 | Posts: 814

Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

once again andrew..MY opinions. Edward scissors hands was really wierd. but whatever. i was done with this thread a long time ago. i said my peace and im done. i just think batman couldve been better thats all. i hope i didnt create any enemies during these past few days in this thread. the last thing i wanted was this to be an argument. the first post for this thread was someone asking how the movie was if anyone seen it. i said i didnt like it and gave in my opinion regarding tim burton and a whole fiasco steamed up! it wasnt intended. some ppl like it i guess. confused
Posted: Sat, 17th Jan 2004, 10:21pm

Post 40 of 106

Cypher

Force: 3050 | Joined: 22nd Feb 2002 | Posts: 2126

EffectsLab Lite User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 4 Pro User PhotoKey 3 Plug-in User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

requiem for a dream could have been better too.
Posted: Sat, 17th Jan 2004, 11:49pm

Post 41 of 106

Aculag

Force: 8365 | Joined: 21st Jun 2002 | Posts: 8581

EffectsLab Lite User VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

Element, I've seen all of them, and I pretty much only like Clerks. Mallrats is ok, but all of them have dialogue that sounds like these people are english professors who are reading out of dictionaries. You see that I have my opinion as well, so respect it. His films are not that great, and they're certainly not art.
Posted: Sun, 18th Jan 2004, 6:45am

Post 42 of 106

elementcinema

Force: 436 | Joined: 17th Dec 2003 | Posts: 814

Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

you liked clerks over dogma?
Posted: Sun, 18th Jan 2004, 6:46am

Post 43 of 106

JohnCarter

Force: 3295 | Joined: 11th Mar 2003 | Posts: 1078

VisionLab User Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

[quote="elementcinema"]Edward scissors hands was really wierd. but whatever. [quote]

Edward Scissorhands was a fairy tale about an artist (Edward) struggling for understanding and acceptance in a very bland world (the uniform while although brightly colored burbs). It was set up as a fairy tale from frame one. It was very straightforward and imaginative.

Obviously, you are somebody who prefers "reality", which in films is a misnomer and an oxymoron since no matter how you do it (even in documentary), by the very moment you edit a piece of footage, reality becomes interpreted, therefore it is no longer the absolute reality, but I digress.

Obviously, for somebody of your leaning, a Burton tale is BOUND to ruffle you the wrong way since fantasy is something you are not confortable with. However, you should be honest in your expression of your opinion and recognize the artistic values of Burton's work. That would be a fair and balanced opinion. You may not like it but you must recognize (actually you do, indirectly) that he has a truly original voice.

And yet again:

- Burton wasn't fired from Warner - the project was abandoned over fan anger at the casting of Nic Cage.

- Burton had input on the story but wasn't the writer of the piece.

- I read Kevin Smith's Superman script and it was nothing to write home about. You are obviously seriously biased here since your man Kevin got a rough treatment (and surely unfair I'm sure!) at the studio and there was a very public dislike of the two men (Burton and Smith). Seems to me you carry on Smith's battle for him. Good for you. But I think Kevin is old enough to take care of himself.

- That being said, I actually quite enjoy Smith's movies (although I think that Jay and Silent Bob strikes back IS a definite stinker).

Last edited Sun, 18th Jan 2004, 8:09am; edited 2 times in total.

Posted: Sun, 18th Jan 2004, 6:51am

Post 44 of 106

kungfukid

Force: 220 | Joined: 24th Sep 2003 | Posts: 318

EffectsLab Lite User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

ok dunno if anyone posted this Tim Burton is really good but he screwed up batman i dont think the dudes ever read a comic book anyways planet of the apes sux.. and kevin smith is awsome!! cool
Posted: Sun, 18th Jan 2004, 6:57am

Post 45 of 106

elementcinema

Force: 436 | Joined: 17th Dec 2003 | Posts: 814

Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

thank you john carter. i appreciate what you did. i could not stress that enough. i first expressed my opinioins and i do notice tim burtons artistic work it just doesnt intrigue me. fantasy is something used way too much these days because ppl are afraid to write about something realistic. we need more young directors out there who know what life is like out there and who are able to portray that in a very artistic way. but either way i find every director are artistic in some way. even all these ppl who create movie and short films here at CSB. but once again thank you for your input john.
Posted: Sun, 18th Jan 2004, 6:58am

Post 46 of 106

elementcinema

Force: 436 | Joined: 17th Dec 2003 | Posts: 814

Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

lol right on kungfukid!!
Posted: Sun, 18th Jan 2004, 7:00am

Post 47 of 106

LtMcMurphy

Force: 1105 | Joined: 8th Jan 2003 | Posts: 583

Windows User

Member

elementcinema wrote:

jstow222 said :. You apparently are watching films for the wrong reasons and obviously cant acknowledge filmaking as an artform. Also, why go see the film if you dislike Tim Burton's films so much?

the reason why i saw the film because i have an open mind for every movie. it gives you little tips and new ways for when you make your own films. filmaking is an artform and thats why i hate it when ppl say how tim burton is so artistic and everything. its not true. you dont even know who he is..i know his background because i looked into him a long time ago. he first was a hair dresser for Paul thomas anderson (i hope you know who he is) and P.T.A owed tim a favour so he let him co-direct a film (i forget which one). the film was so wierd in a sense that some ppl liked it. he isnt artistic he just doesnt make sense and it seems fit. tim burton is not truly artistic like other filmmakers like Kevin Smith, Spike Jones and Darren Aronofsky (i hope to god you know who he is..) but anyway...do not tell me that i watch films for the wrong reasons. i dont watch them for the special effects, i dont watch them for myself. i watch them for others. lets me find ways to make my films better so other ppl will enjoy them. i also just plain old love movies. did you know that tim burton tried out for a superman film with the wb and wrote a horrible sript with polar bear fights and a giant spider?? SUPERMAN! not something that he can just do whatever he wants to. WB fired him obviously because he cant film nothing but his gay ass movies. same goes for PTA. if you do not know who any of the ppl i told you about are let me know and i will inform you. but i hope you do not need to be informed.
Lemme get this straight. I hope you answer this: P. T. Anderson gave Tim Burton his break? I don't think that's true... Tim Burton's first full-length feature-film was Pee-Wee's Big Adventure in '85. P.T. Anderson's first full-length feature film was in '96. Does this make sense? I think you are making this all up trying to make people believe you actually know something. If I'm wrong, please direct me to your sources. If you can't, you're an idiot and no one should respect your views.

Plus, Clerks is the best Kevin Smith movie. Yes, even better than Mallrats...

Plus Plus, Tim Burton IS artistic. Just not the artistic you like (I.E. fart jokes).

Plus Plus Plus, Tim Burton is never credited as co-directing anything with P.T. Anderson (so says IMDB.com, which is my source).
Posted: Sun, 18th Jan 2004, 7:12am

Post 48 of 106

Aculag

Force: 8365 | Joined: 21st Jun 2002 | Posts: 8581

EffectsLab Lite User VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

Plus Plus Plus Plus Plus: Joel Shumacher should be credited with "RUINING" Batman. I don't know if you have seen the bullshit that he pumped out for the last couple movies. THAT'S why they're making a new Batman film, not because of Burton.
Posted: Sun, 18th Jan 2004, 7:20am

Post 49 of 106

Waser

Force: 4731 | Joined: 7th Sep 2003 | Posts: 3111

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 2 Pro User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

SuperUser

Joel Shumacher is kind of sad. He makes some really good movies in my opinion, like Phonebooth and Falling Down, but he pumps out horrible shit
Posted: Sun, 18th Jan 2004, 9:56pm

Post 50 of 106

elementcinema

Force: 436 | Joined: 17th Dec 2003 | Posts: 814

Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

once again im done with this thread but here is my source. i watched a documentary on AE about tim burton. tim burton and PTA are really good friends. PTA's first break was in 96 yes but it doesnt mean he wasnt up there in the ranks to give anyone a break. another source was "an evening with kevin smith" you should check that out if you like kevin. im not making any of this up. but i do think that tim burton ruined the first batmans and if you read the comics then you would be on my side, but seeing how you just like to speak without having any backup then i suggest you back off. and IMDB isnt that great i can tell you that much. but i just find it funny that none of you can leave this alone. i will go back to the first post of this thread...BIG FISH WAS A BAD MOVIE IN MY OPINION!! there done
Posted: Sun, 18th Jan 2004, 9:59pm

Post 51 of 106

AndrewtheActorMan

Force: 1859 | Joined: 31st May 2003 | Posts: 1477

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

so, Element Cinema, care to backup why you thought it was horrible wink

Andrew unsure

PS: You make no since...lol
Posted: Sun, 18th Jan 2004, 10:01pm

Post 52 of 106

Aculag

Force: 8365 | Joined: 21st Jun 2002 | Posts: 8581

EffectsLab Lite User VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

You find it funny that WE can't let it go, but when you say you're done with the thread you come back... interesting.
Posted: Sun, 18th Jan 2004, 10:05pm

Post 53 of 106

AndrewtheActorMan

Force: 1859 | Joined: 31st May 2003 | Posts: 1477

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

I'm not letting it go, cuz i have nothing else to do but argue that Tim Burton IS an artist... hmm..must be a stupid thing to be argueing about...


Andrew biggrin
Posted: Sun, 18th Jan 2004, 10:11pm

Post 54 of 106

elementcinema

Force: 436 | Joined: 17th Dec 2003 | Posts: 814

Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

well first off, andrew i do make SENSE,( retard) and aculag its just the fact that it pisses me off when you guys seem to always come back and insult ppl or me for that matter just because i didnt like a movie that you did. i cant stress that enough. im sure you dont email ebert and roper saying that you disagree with the movies that they gave two thumbs up for. but seeing how you can do it here on the forums you take advantage of it trying to look big and some sort of movie genius. its pretty sad really. nobody really cares about how much you know about directors or producers or anything it doesnt make you a better filmmaker. if anything it makes you look like i child. i might aswell just sit here and tell you that my daddy can kick your daddys ass anyday. would that solve anything seeing how its put into your context? stupid baby

Last edited Sun, 18th Jan 2004, 10:12pm; edited 2 times in total.

Posted: Sun, 18th Jan 2004, 10:11pm

Post 55 of 106

elementcinema

Force: 436 | Joined: 17th Dec 2003 | Posts: 814

Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

andrew is getting the picture..but im sure you can find something else to do
Posted: Sun, 18th Jan 2004, 10:26pm

Post 56 of 106

Axeman

Force: 17995 | Joined: 20th Jan 2002 | Posts: 6124

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 5 Pro User MuzzlePlug User PowerPlug User PhotoKey 3 Plug-in User FXhome Movie Maker FXpreset Maker MacOS User

SuperUser

This is getting pretty pathetic, guys.

Everybody needs to remember a couple of things, I think: People have different tastes, and opinions vary.

elementcinema- I think part of the reason you were 'attacked' is that in your original post, you sort of stated your opinion as if it were fact. One might think that since YOU are the one saying it, people would realize that you are stating YOUR opinion. But sometimes people don't get it.

Obviously, elementcinema is not the final word and official factmaker with regard to cinema. Neither is anyone else in the world. All any of us can do is state our opinion as to whether somehting was good or bad. Elementcinema thought Big Fish was bad. Good for him. Let it go.
Posted: Sun, 18th Jan 2004, 10:40pm

Post 57 of 106

elementcinema

Force: 436 | Joined: 17th Dec 2003 | Posts: 814

Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

right on
Posted: Sun, 18th Jan 2004, 10:40pm

Post 58 of 106

kungfukid

Force: 220 | Joined: 24th Sep 2003 | Posts: 318

EffectsLab Lite User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

...and there was silence....
Posted: Sun, 18th Jan 2004, 10:52pm

Post 59 of 106

elementcinema

Force: 436 | Joined: 17th Dec 2003 | Posts: 814

Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

booyah
Posted: Sun, 18th Jan 2004, 11:26pm

Post 60 of 106

Cypher

Force: 3050 | Joined: 22nd Feb 2002 | Posts: 2126

EffectsLab Lite User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 4 Pro User PhotoKey 3 Plug-in User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

elementcinema wrote:

well first off, andrew i do make SENSE,( retard) and aculag its just the fact that it pisses me off when you guys seem to always come back and insult ppl or me for that matter just because i didnt like a movie that you did. i cant stress that enough. im sure you dont email ebert and roper saying that you disagree with the movies that they gave two thumbs up for. but seeing how you can do it here on the forums you take advantage of it trying to look big and some sort of movie genius. its pretty sad really. nobody really cares about how much you know about directors or producers or anything it doesnt make you a better filmmaker. if anything it makes you look like i child. i might aswell just sit here and tell you that my daddy can kick your daddys ass anyday. would that solve anything seeing how its put into your context? stupid baby
I relate what you just said into you. Sort of a self-synopsis of one's self.
Posted: Sun, 18th Jan 2004, 11:29pm

Post 61 of 106

Brettsta

Force: 3385 | Joined: 15th Nov 2003 | Posts: 2114

VisionLab User FXpreset Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

elementcinema wrote:

( retard)
Theres no need for that lol
Posted: Sun, 18th Jan 2004, 11:49pm

Post 62 of 106

AndrewtheActorMan

Force: 1859 | Joined: 31st May 2003 | Posts: 1477

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

Allright, I look back at what i have said, and i look like a jerk biggrin Sorry.

Didnt mean to sound like a huge jerk, but i did...so, sorry

Andrew biggrin
Posted: Mon, 19th Jan 2004, 12:31am

Post 63 of 106

Aculag

Force: 8365 | Joined: 21st Jun 2002 | Posts: 8581

EffectsLab Lite User VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

Element, everything you said in your last post is describing EXACTLY what you've been doing this whole time. Don't make it out as if everyone here is the bad guy except you, when you're doing the exact things you're scolding us for. Stupid ignorant child.
Posted: Mon, 19th Jan 2004, 12:34am

Post 64 of 106

kungfukid

Force: 220 | Joined: 24th Sep 2003 | Posts: 318

EffectsLab Lite User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

LOL
Posted: Mon, 19th Jan 2004, 1:14am

Post 65 of 106

jstow222

Force: 970 | Joined: 28th Oct 2002 | Posts: 1146

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User

Gold Member

Hahaha, all this large part because of Mr. Burton, maybe he IS a genious.
Posted: Mon, 19th Jan 2004, 1:54am

Post 66 of 106

LtMcMurphy

Force: 1105 | Joined: 8th Jan 2003 | Posts: 583

Windows User

Member

Anyone who can spark a discussion like this has to have somthing strong under the hood.

Oh, on PT Anderson's OFFICIAL site, Tim Burton's name is mentioned about 10 times, all in connection with his movies, NEVER in context with Anderson and Burton being in league, and even there Anderson does not share a co-director credit with Burton. There's my proof.
Posted: Mon, 19th Jan 2004, 2:40pm

Post 67 of 106

anonymous

i never said the co-anything together..i specifically said that!! they are good friends..maybe thats why tim was mentioned about 10 times on PTA's official site? 8 wink
Posted: Mon, 19th Jan 2004, 3:26pm

Post 68 of 106

elementcinema

Force: 436 | Joined: 17th Dec 2003 | Posts: 814

Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

that was me..i forgot to login
Posted: Tue, 20th Jan 2004, 1:07am

Post 69 of 106

Aculag

Force: 8365 | Joined: 21st Jun 2002 | Posts: 8581

EffectsLab Lite User VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

elementcinema wrote:

P.T.A owed tim a favour so he let him co-direct a film (i forget which one).
If you didn't mean that he let Burton co-direct a film WITH HIM... that sentence is incredibly misleading.
Posted: Tue, 20th Jan 2004, 1:38am

Post 70 of 106

elementcinema

Force: 436 | Joined: 17th Dec 2003 | Posts: 814

Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

sorry, my mistake, i was upset and i was trying hard to make sense.
Posted: Tue, 20th Jan 2004, 2:48am

Post 71 of 106

Aculag

Force: 8365 | Joined: 21st Jun 2002 | Posts: 8581

EffectsLab Lite User VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

Don't you hate when that happens?
Posted: Tue, 20th Jan 2004, 2:54am

Post 72 of 106

AndrewtheActorMan

Force: 1859 | Joined: 31st May 2003 | Posts: 1477

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

So ElementCinema? Does that mean that you are admitting that we were right? lol lol wink

Andrew biggrin
Posted: Tue, 20th Jan 2004, 3:43am

Post 73 of 106

JohnCarter

Force: 3295 | Joined: 11th Mar 2003 | Posts: 1078

VisionLab User Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

elementcinema wrote:

sorry, my mistake, i was upset and i was trying hard to make sense.
Convenient, isn't it?

Please respect my opinion! Yes, I don't check what I claim as facts, yes I am sprouting out nonsense and half truths because I am upset, but I need respect, darn it!

You just killed any credibility you may have had right there. And it goes a long way to explain why you were "attacked"...
Posted: Tue, 20th Jan 2004, 4:06am

Post 74 of 106

Aculag

Force: 8365 | Joined: 21st Jun 2002 | Posts: 8581

EffectsLab Lite User VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

Wow. I thought this debate was over...
Posted: Tue, 20th Jan 2004, 4:10am

Post 75 of 106

elementcinema

Force: 436 | Joined: 17th Dec 2003 | Posts: 814

Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

me too.. confused
Posted: Tue, 20th Jan 2004, 5:06am

Post 76 of 106

Aculag

Force: 8365 | Joined: 21st Jun 2002 | Posts: 8581

EffectsLab Lite User VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

Rating: -1

It's me and you now, element... Against the odds....
Posted: Tue, 20th Jan 2004, 8:40am

Post 77 of 106

LtMcMurphy

Force: 1105 | Joined: 8th Jan 2003 | Posts: 583

Windows User

Member

Dibs on the loser's wallet!
Posted: Tue, 20th Jan 2004, 12:31pm

Post 78 of 106

Axeman

Force: 17995 | Joined: 20th Jan 2002 | Posts: 6124

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 5 Pro User MuzzlePlug User PowerPlug User PhotoKey 3 Plug-in User FXhome Movie Maker FXpreset Maker MacOS User

SuperUser

Aculag wrote:

Wow. I thought this debate was over...
If it isn't, this thread will be gone in a hurry.

Now, if anyone cares to post their thoughts or opinions on Big Fish, I think this is the right place. Just don't attack the people who disagree with you.
Posted: Tue, 20th Jan 2004, 2:10pm

Post 79 of 106

ssjaaron

Force: 1545 | Joined: 11th Jan 2003 | Posts: 1115

EffectsLab Lite User FXhome Movie Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

i saw big fish yesterday. it was fun, wierd, cool, intertaining. great story
loved it wink
peace out
Posted: Tue, 20th Jan 2004, 6:23pm

Post 80 of 106

elementcinema

Force: 436 | Joined: 17th Dec 2003 | Posts: 814

Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

Rating: -1

Aculag wrote:

It's me and you now, element... Against the odds....
me and you? and team? hmmm
Posted: Tue, 20th Jan 2004, 6:31pm

Post 81 of 106

anonymous

Aculag wrote:

It's me and you now, element... Against the odds....
me and you? a team? lol hmm..against what odds by the way? razz
Posted: Tue, 20th Jan 2004, 9:58pm

Post 82 of 106

anonymous

To put in as plain of English as I can, Big Fish was an average movie. There were only two things that struck me during that movie. The perspective in how it was told and unfolded grabbed my attention. Although, a lot of the flashbacks to his stories were too deliberately setup. Like before the flashback came, I knew they were setting it up to do so. I like a movie that isn't predictable and flows more smoothly. The last thing I liked about it was how true the tall tales were. I sometimes catch my self, telling people about some event in my life, and as I'm telling it I realize that it really isn't that interesting. So through small lies or being very melodramatic about the event, I make it more interesting. I never really sat down and thought about how a lot of people do that just to grab your attention better until I saw that movie. I guess I had higher expectations like I do for most movies when I see movie trailers. Sadly they put the best parts in the trailers and leave nothing left for the rest of the movie.
Posted: Tue, 20th Jan 2004, 10:10pm

Post 83 of 106

JohnCarter

Force: 3295 | Joined: 11th Mar 2003 | Posts: 1078

VisionLab User Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

Well, the movie was dragging in places and the structure was somewhat evident and it's definitely not Burton's best film, but it had it's charm, had a story (no matter what element says) and had an interesting interplay between two threading stories. The climax/ending was lame and predictable from the witch scene through, but I didn't feel the trailer misled anybody in regards to the what the story was about nor did I feel that all the best stuff was in the trailer.
Posted: Wed, 21st Jan 2004, 2:10am

Post 84 of 106

Aculag

Force: 8365 | Joined: 21st Jun 2002 | Posts: 8581

EffectsLab Lite User VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

elementcinema wrote:

me and you? and team? hmmm
It was a joke. Since we're the only ones who thought the debate was over. Get it?
Posted: Wed, 21st Jan 2004, 3:39am

Post 85 of 106

elementcinema

Force: 436 | Joined: 17th Dec 2003 | Posts: 814

Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

yeah i got that..thats what the "hmm" was for.. razz
Posted: Wed, 21st Jan 2004, 3:58am

Post 86 of 106

elementcinema

Force: 436 | Joined: 17th Dec 2003 | Posts: 814

Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

Here is MY review of the movie. I realized I didn't quite explain myself enough and it is maybe the cause of the arguements followed after.

Big Fish is a misfire. The film that wants to be lighter than air instead crashes to earth with the swiftness of a concrete parachute. Director Tim Burton, whose early career displayed a dazzling gift for the surreal, is in a slump. Yet whatever one thought of his two most recent pictures, Planet of the Apes or Sleepy Hollow, nothing will prepare his admirers for this belabored oddity that is one long-winded tall tale illustrated with hammy, artificial sets and gee-whiz acting.The circus performers and fantasy elements may delight youngsters, but older moviegoers will be put off by the clumsiness in the film's style and tone. Also by insisting on the literal reality of Edward's inventions -- as opposed to the gross exaggerations of an overactive imagination -- the movie undermines its own theme of a teller of tale tales who relates truth through fiction. Production design and costumes lack the ingenuity of Burton's previous forays into colorful imaginary worlds. Sets in particular look a little too much like movie sets.

There you go. I tried to be a subtle and positive as possible. Hopefully no harm will come of this. I didn't want to get quite into the story though. It would take too long. (Maybe some other time!) biggrin

Last edited Wed, 21st Jan 2004, 4:16am; edited 2 times in total.

Posted: Wed, 21st Jan 2004, 3:58am

Post 87 of 106

kungfukid

Force: 220 | Joined: 24th Sep 2003 | Posts: 318

EffectsLab Lite User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

this topic jukst keeps going
Posted: Wed, 21st Jan 2004, 4:20am

Post 88 of 106

JoseTheo

Force: 0 | Joined: 21st Jan 2004 | Posts: 12

Member

Big Fish was by far the greatest achievement in cinematic (drama) history. The story line had a classic feel to it, but camera angles and some special effects added the new world element needed to make it an instant classic.

elementcinemaproductions... you dont even know.. i bet you didnt even see this flick.
Posted: Wed, 21st Jan 2004, 4:25am

Post 89 of 106

elementcinema

Force: 436 | Joined: 17th Dec 2003 | Posts: 814

Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

I bet you haven't seen it either, or atleast seen anything at all before hand. Because im sure anyone here will not agree with you about how its the "greatest achievement in cinematic (drama) history. "but camera angles and SOME? special effects added the new world element needed to make it an instand classic" ok first of all just SOME special effects? the whole thing was fantasy and almost completely effects. but who cares about effects. its the story that captivates you right? well maybe not for you. but i wonder what everyone else thinks about your opinion seeing how its ALOT more far fetch'd than mine.
Posted: Wed, 21st Jan 2004, 4:28am

Post 90 of 106

Aculag

Force: 8365 | Joined: 21st Jun 2002 | Posts: 8581

EffectsLab Lite User VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

JoseTheo wrote:

Big Fish was by far the greatest achievement in cinematic (drama) history.
Wow. I haven't seen it, but I know that's not true by far.
Posted: Wed, 21st Jan 2004, 4:29am

Post 91 of 106

JoseTheo

Force: 0 | Joined: 21st Jan 2004 | Posts: 12

Member

I said "some special effects" for what reason? (I'm asking you).. oh wait.. as predicted you answered my question: because thats not all I saw in this epic movie.. the story was very captivating.. unlike other movies that try to be "wierd to be good" like Requiem for a Dream (I bet you love this stupid movie to death) this film had an interesting fable-like story to it and mixed in a lot of new elements to make it more appealing to this generation and many more to come.. this is the new fairy tale of the new generation.

By the way.. I have seen it.. I went the day it opened. smile
Posted: Wed, 21st Jan 2004, 4:32am

Post 92 of 106

Aculag

Force: 8365 | Joined: 21st Jun 2002 | Posts: 8581

EffectsLab Lite User VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

Rating: -1

I bet you feel really special for that too, huh? Going the day it opened. What an accomplishment.
Posted: Wed, 21st Jan 2004, 4:33am

Post 93 of 106

JoseTheo

Force: 0 | Joined: 21st Jan 2004 | Posts: 12

Member

I love you
Posted: Wed, 21st Jan 2004, 4:34am

Post 94 of 106

elementcinema

Force: 436 | Joined: 17th Dec 2003 | Posts: 814

Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

i cant believe you would call it "epic". Requiem wasnt wierd to be good. the cinematography was very well done. you probably havent even seen Requiem. the story, the stye, the cinematics make you FEEL for the characters. I didnt feel anything for the dying father or for when he died for that matter. the scene was very dull. Requiem in MY opinion has the best character dev. ever. every character hits rock bottom at the end of the movie and you hit it with them. but seeing how you watch movies for the wrong reason thats ok. i gave in my opinion of big fish and i took alot into consideration. i can see how ppl could like big fish. but i didnt. thats it, thats final. but epic? wow..
Posted: Wed, 21st Jan 2004, 4:34am

Post 95 of 106

elementcinema

Force: 436 | Joined: 17th Dec 2003 | Posts: 814

Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

Rating: -1

lol right on aculag! biggrin
Posted: Wed, 21st Jan 2004, 4:36am

Post 96 of 106

JoseTheo

Force: 0 | Joined: 21st Jan 2004 | Posts: 12

Member

Requiem of a dream? Yeah I saw.. I almost fell asleep during the first hour.. the movie spends an hour introducing everything.. then its the climax.. then its done.. I thought i blacked out at one point because I noticed there wasnt a body to the movie... nothing..

oh while we're talking.. do me a favour and check out my website:

www.freewebs.com/ronssurpise

Thanks smile
Posted: Wed, 21st Jan 2004, 4:39am

Post 97 of 106

elementcinema

Force: 436 | Joined: 17th Dec 2003 | Posts: 814

Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

you have no idea what you are talking about..
Posted: Wed, 21st Jan 2004, 4:39am

Post 98 of 106

Cypher

Force: 3050 | Joined: 22nd Feb 2002 | Posts: 2126

EffectsLab Lite User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 4 Pro User PhotoKey 3 Plug-in User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

elementcinema wrote:

Here is MY review of the movie. I realized I didn't quite explain myself enough and it is maybe the cause of the arguements followed after.

Big Fish is a misfire. The film that wants to be lighter than air instead crashes to earth with the swiftness of a concrete parachute. Director Tim Burton, whose early career displayed a dazzling gift for the surreal, is in a slump. Yet whatever one thought of his two most recent pictures, Planet of the Apes or Sleepy Hollow, nothing will prepare his admirers for this belabored oddity that is one long-winded tall tale illustrated with hammy, artificial sets and gee-whiz acting.The circus performers and fantasy elements may delight youngsters, but older moviegoers will be put off by the clumsiness in the film's style and tone. Also by insisting on the literal reality of Edward's inventions -- as opposed to the gross exaggerations of an overactive imagination -- the movie undermines its own theme of a teller of tale tales who relates truth through fiction. Production design and costumes lack the ingenuity of Burton's previous forays into colorful imaginary worlds. Sets in particular look a little too much like movie sets.

There you go. I tried to be a subtle and positive as possible. Hopefully no harm will come of this. I didn't want to get quite into the story though. It would take too long. (Maybe some other time!) biggrin
I pretty much disagree with every single thing you said - except for the sets. They did look too movie-like and surreal - but to me, I see that is being the whole point. This movie wasn't supposed to feel real (at least the flashbacks) and its great that it feels very artificial, because even when in context, it was artificial to some degree.
Posted: Wed, 21st Jan 2004, 4:40am

Post 99 of 106

elementcinema

Force: 436 | Joined: 17th Dec 2003 | Posts: 814

Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

yeah i can see where you are coming from cypher..i can understand how it was supossed to be like that..it didnt catch my eye tho..but i somewhat agree with you biggrin
Posted: Wed, 21st Jan 2004, 4:42am

Post 100 of 106

JoseTheo

Force: 0 | Joined: 21st Jan 2004 | Posts: 12

Member

Rating: -1

I guess I missed the part where you said that the movie seemed too fake.. thanks to the last guy who posted what you said earlier.. I agree with you.. it was pretty fake.. and I guess thats just tim burton for you.. he loves to give his audience handfuls of eye candy.. so much that it makes them sick.. kinda like his last two extraordinary BOX OFFICE SMASHES.. (planet of the apes being one of the two)... box offices smashes.. pff.. worst movie ive seen.. and thanks to some good arguing and persuasion, i have to agree with element.. he made some strong points...

By the way.. I love requiem for a dream... you just seemed like the kind of guy who did too.. so i thought i would try and piss you off to take you off track.. didnt work.. oh well..
Posted: Wed, 21st Jan 2004, 4:46am

Post 101 of 106

elementcinema

Force: 436 | Joined: 17th Dec 2003 | Posts: 814

Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

lol uhhhh ok???
Posted: Wed, 21st Jan 2004, 4:47am

Post 102 of 106

JoseTheo

Force: 0 | Joined: 21st Jan 2004 | Posts: 12

Member

be my boyfriend......?
Posted: Wed, 21st Jan 2004, 4:48am

Post 103 of 106

elementcinema

Force: 436 | Joined: 17th Dec 2003 | Posts: 814

Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

sure but not if aculag wants me...he is my sugar daddy razz
Posted: Wed, 21st Jan 2004, 4:51am

Post 104 of 106

elementcinema

Force: 436 | Joined: 17th Dec 2003 | Posts: 814

Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

I CANNOT BELIEVE HOW BIG THIS TOPIC HAS GOTTEN!! its mostly because of me tho and i have probably annoyed a good amount of you but i thought id just say sorry..if it helps..im not as stupid as you think i am confused
Posted: Wed, 21st Jan 2004, 5:38am

Post 105 of 106

anonymous

Bottom line is this movie was nothing special. It had some good ideas and creative ways of expressing itself, but overall lacked in everything else. When I saw the trailer accompanied by some wannabe Edward Scissorhands music, I was captivated. But sad thing was, everything interresting they had to show in the movie was in the trailer. For starters I was distracted the whole movie with Gramp's son and his forign wife. Not that I got anything against mixed marriges, it was just a distraction for me. And as far as Edward Bloom went, casting for his youth and mandhood was great. But Gramp's??? Like it was said earlier, I felt nothing for the fat bastard. Once the movie has become predictable and distracting, which this movie did, it losses the true essence of a magical (if you will) story. I'm not saying it was a crappy movie, but it was a movie I would say I would see just once. Okay maybe twice but I would have to be really bored!
Posted: Wed, 21st Jan 2004, 2:32pm

Post 106 of 106

anonymous

who are you samwise?