You are viewing an archive of the old fxhome.com forums. The community has since moved to hitfilm.com.

The Fall of the House of Usher, the Untold Story.

Posted: Mon, 12th Jan 2004, 1:01pm

Post 1 of 26

nerdcore

Force: 200 | Joined: 26th Apr 2003 | Posts: 12

EffectsLab Lite User

Gold Member

This film starts at the end of the Fall of the House of Usher, by Edgar Allen Poe. It was originally part of my english project, which included the actual poem itself, but I decided to post just the end for now, if I get some good reviews maybe I will post the rest of the movie. Please let me know what I could do better or any suggestions, as this was my first movie that I have ever produced/directed/edited with me in charge.

Anyway with that in mind please sit back and enjoy the movie.
(If you are unfilmiar with the plot of the fall of the house of usher I suggest reading the poem itself, however I will give a brief description of it below)

This poem talks about a man who comes to visit his old friend named Usher in his old mansion. The family seems to have a curse that is also related to the mansion itself. When the man arrives at the house he is surprised by the changes in his old friend. He seems to be going insane,and his the doctors who see him can't figure out why. His sister, also seems to have a problem, however she seems sane, and her problem is physical, and it almsost seems like she is decaying with the house. One night Usher tells his friend that the sister is dead, and they put her in a coffin and into a type of vault, where the doctors will later examine. However eventually scratching sounds are heard from the house and it turns out Usher put her in the coffin alive. She breaks out, bloody from the struggle of nawing and clawing her way out, and kills Usher, causing the house to implode and the friend to narrowly escape.

-Please note that this is a very poor representation of Poe's work
for a full version search on google or http://www.bartleby.com/195/10.html
use that link.
More Info
Posted: Mon, 12th Jan 2004, 1:39pm

Post 2 of 26

CX3

Force: 3137 | Joined: 1st Apr 2003 | Posts: 2527

EffectsLab Lite User VideoWrap User MacOS User FXhome Movie Maker

Gold Member

omg, that file is pretty big for only being 5 somethin minutes long. Im still going to download it tho but i would suggest making it a smaller size so more people will download it as well. Ill comment when i get back.
Posted: Mon, 12th Jan 2004, 4:37pm

Post 3 of 26

nerdcore

Force: 200 | Joined: 26th Apr 2003 | Posts: 12

EffectsLab Lite User

Gold Member

thanks for the comment, right now this is the only mode of compression I have available, however I will try to get a divx out or something.
Posted: Mon, 12th Jan 2004, 6:04pm

Post 4 of 26

nerdcore

Force: 200 | Joined: 26th Apr 2003 | Posts: 12

EffectsLab Lite User

Gold Member

got it down to 50 mb, and am currently uploading it
Posted: Tue, 13th Jan 2004, 2:45am

Post 5 of 26

chrisb

Force: 47 | Joined: 6th Oct 2003 | Posts: 17

Windows User

Member

I would say that if you are going to vote on your own movies at least make that a fair ranking. I havent even watched it yet and tarn gave it a one and you gave it a 5. Be fair even wih your own movies.
Posted: Tue, 13th Jan 2004, 2:49am

Post 6 of 26

Brettsta

Force: 3385 | Joined: 15th Nov 2003 | Posts: 2114

VisionLab User FXpreset Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

Rating: +1

5 min..., 80 MB!!! EVen 50 is way to much. Get it down to 5, 10. Please get a compressor tard tard tard By the time the movie is downloaded, it will be next year. Can you wait that long? That file is called compressed battle, which I find pretty funny.

Edit- Saw it now, sabers had way too much glow, you can tell that the jacket thing was reversed. Sabers were very choppy, add blur in alamdv!!! To me Poe and sabers dont go... Umm not sure what to say neutral Effects were placed poorly. It looks like they were just thrown on. Just because you have amazing software doesnt mean you can make great effects. You have to have talent...
Posted: Tue, 13th Jan 2004, 3:37am

Post 7 of 26

unclepain

Force: 482 | Joined: 8th Mar 2002 | Posts: 192

Gold Member

This really should be called "Fun with reversed footage". I'm not quite sure what this has to do with "Fall of the House of Usher", although it was interesting at times. Some of the reversed clips looked kinda cool. I thought the dude sliding the cans across the table looked pretty spiffy, but then I'm thinking... "Why am I watching reversed footage of some guy sliding pop cans across a table?" Well, it was unique that's for sure.

Last edited Tue, 13th Jan 2004, 5:28am; edited 1 times in total.

Posted: Tue, 13th Jan 2004, 3:53am

Post 8 of 26

voiceoverwizard

Force: 931 | Joined: 30th Dec 2002 | Posts: 465

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User

Gold Member

Well as for file size you could cut the file size in half by only having the movie here. If you want to showcase your out takes, and your mom's critique you can have them as a separate file. If you had done that then you would only owe me 2 1/2 minutes of my life back. I saw that Tarn voted a one and some else voted a 5 so I decided to go ahead and down load it to see why. Well, I see why Tarn gave it a one, and something tells me when I go back and check I will see the 5 is your own. I give it a 1 if you didn't vote yourself a 5, if you did I will deduct 1.
Now as for the content of your movie if you are going to do lightsabres they take a long time, if you don't want to spend the time don't do light sabres.
Posted: Tue, 13th Jan 2004, 4:14am

Post 9 of 26

nerdcore

Force: 200 | Joined: 26th Apr 2003 | Posts: 12

EffectsLab Lite User

Gold Member

yeah well, I was just hoping to get the movie seen a little and some tips... reason I rated it five.

Although I do admit that it is not the best it could be, this was
my FIRST MOVIE EVER editing so critism is appreiciated as long as it is constructive.

You should see some of the other movies made by Quantum Ninja like
Jesus Vs Muhammad though, they were made by more experienced members on the team

well thanks for all who suffered through the movie, a compressed movie is on the way along with 3 or 4 other movies by more experienced member, which i think you may enjoy.

Thanks
tom
Posted: Tue, 13th Jan 2004, 4:25am

Post 10 of 26

nerdcore

Force: 200 | Joined: 26th Apr 2003 | Posts: 12

EffectsLab Lite User

Gold Member

also in response to the people asking wtf is going on

if you read the thing in the begining it should help

Again thanks for watching

and watch the other movies by quantum by more exp people then me.
Posted: Tue, 13th Jan 2004, 7:33am

Post 11 of 26

CX3

Force: 3137 | Joined: 1st Apr 2003 | Posts: 2527

EffectsLab Lite User VideoWrap User MacOS User FXhome Movie Maker

Gold Member

Jesus vs Mohamod didnt that much better than this to me. And i agree pretty much with what every1 else said so far.
Posted: Tue, 13th Jan 2004, 11:57am

Post 12 of 26

pboniface

Force: 2335 | Joined: 3rd Sep 2003 | Posts: 366

VisionLab User Windows User

Gold Member

Well, I guess your "blurb" did explain that this is just the end of your movie, and not the whole film... which is why, for what appears to be a bog-standard (Albeit badly done) Lightsabre test.. seen it all before.. yes, yes, yes, very good you can do lightsabres, now move on. smile

This also goes a long way to explain why for a short clip like this you have.. in the credits... 4 characters (I only saw two in this clip).. a "Based on The fall of the house of usher".. 80ll0x was it... it was a lightsabre duel..nothing more, nothing less.. If this was for an English class as well, then you should really have checked your spelling... unless of course the story really was "Adopted by" someone..not "Adapted by"

Sorry to rip on you.. opinions are like a-holes.. everyones got one, and I kinda like Poe so, to see lightsabres used in a derivative work is ludicrous..I downloaded this expecting to see a horror story or sorts.. not two guys hitting sticks together played backwards.. mind you the backwards thing.. worked for a bit.. got on my nerves eventually though.. and the whole effect got stupid when the snow started falling upwards..

anyway... looking forward to your version of. "The Raven - The untold story" when the raven and the ghost of Lenore have a lightsabre duel smile

I would like to say nice camera work, but it was all backwards, so I couldnt tell..
Posted: Tue, 13th Jan 2004, 3:42pm

Post 13 of 26

DarthZorn

Force: 0 | Joined: 22nd Sep 2003 | Posts: 15

Member

This has nothing to do with anything Poe did or anything close to the Story. There is no story, just two guys jumping around in reverse with poor saber EFX. Now I'm sure you worked to get this to look right, bu man this was dissapointing. Even the music was redundant. I'll give you 2 stars for the reverse ideas, but even in that it's very sparatic and not even a true battle. For all the hype it sure doesn't get near the number one spot in the top ten. Hone those skills and try again with a plot and dialog before you call it a story. Until then keep it as a "test" or something like that. You may have some good inspiration, but hone your skills, keep at it, and come back with something that will really rock the site.
Posted: Tue, 13th Jan 2004, 3:49pm

Post 14 of 26

soulsurferx

Force: 0 | Joined: 26th Feb 2003 | Posts: 2

Member

What was that? I was looking forward to something that never happened. Different idea for the backwards movement, but the lightsabers...were they necessary? Should keep it listed as a test or concept idea, not a movie. Try real swords next time and maybe some cut aways to dialog close ups.
Posted: Tue, 13th Jan 2004, 3:56pm

Post 15 of 26

Sledgehammer

Force: 0 | Joined: 13th Jan 2004 | Posts: 2

Member

well hey you sure got a lot of replies on here for your work. I must agree with the last few posts though. The reverse action is a good idea that needs more practice. Keep working on it and the EFX too...it'll all improve with time and work. Keep entertaining and having fun with these cool tools.
Posted: Tue, 13th Jan 2004, 4:38pm

Post 16 of 26

anonymous

EVERYBODY WHO KEEPS ASKING ABOUT WHAT THIS HAS TO DO WITH POE PLEASE READ THE BLOG AT THE BEGINNING EXPLAING THE FILM WE DIDN't POST THE ACTUAL BEGINING OF THE MOVIE WHICH COVERS THE STORY OF POE, if you want we wILL post it so it makes since but it was too big together and i didn't have ennough time with finals

Still in high school

well overall i am happy with the reviews given it is my first movie thanks for the comments even the harsh ones.
Posted: Tue, 13th Jan 2004, 5:01pm

Post 17 of 26

pboniface

Force: 2335 | Joined: 3rd Sep 2003 | Posts: 366

VisionLab User Windows User

Gold Member

I have no complaints about the fact that you only posted the fight scene from the end portion of your movie... Yes, I read the blurb...

This doesn't account for the fact that the lightsabres have no place in a derivitive work purporting to be based on an Edgar Allan Poe poem. Now, I can see your argument... that it is an FX forum and it is a derivitive.. you could almost say that pistols and LA Gangs have no place in Romeo & Juliet.. but Baz Luhrmann managed it...

I dont think just telling people to "read the blog" is very helpful smile

Make the screen size smaller, take out the outtakes, compress it properly, post the whole movie, then perhaps we will see the lightsabres in the context you mean them to be... unless the context is just..."Boy, we really need some lightsabres" in which case you managed perfectly smile

Stories have a beginning, a middle, and an end (Gernerally) We cant really comment on anything if you only show us one of these parts.
Posted: Tue, 13th Jan 2004, 5:44pm

Post 18 of 26

anonymous

Although it may not make scence for lightsabers to be in this storyline, does it really matter?

I think the point of them posting on this site is to get feedback on the lightsaber scence...

only being your first time i think you did pretty good job. all in all it was a little bit choppy and the audio was off a little bit, but the fight itself was well done.. wink
Posted: Tue, 13th Jan 2004, 8:43pm

Post 19 of 26

Brettsta

Force: 3385 | Joined: 15th Nov 2003 | Posts: 2114

VisionLab User FXpreset Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

Anonymous wrote:

Although it may not make scence for lightsabers to be in this storyline, does it really matter?

I think the point of them posting on this site is to get feedback on the lightsaber scence...

only being your first time i think you did pretty good job. all in all it was a little bit choppy and the audio was off a little bit, but the fight itself was well done.. wink
First of all, it does really matter, alot. This is Poe we're talking about, not George Lucas. Lightsabers in the film totally ruins the feeling on his great poems. Bad advice to just tell everyone read the blurb when they ask questions too. Also, we do vote a lot on effects, but if it doesnt fit the context and it looks like bad, we are not going to vote it great. One word with the sabers-- R A N D O M.
Posted: Tue, 13th Jan 2004, 10:43pm

Post 20 of 26

ZarfStudios

Force: 0 | Joined: 13th Jan 2004 | Posts: 8

Member

well, this "movie" was a a pretty good ATTEMPT to create a lightsabre battle, BUT you guys still need alot alot of work....

On a side note:

Brettsta wrote:

First of all, it does really matter, alot. This is Poe we're talking about, not George Lucas. Lightsabers in the film totally ruins the feeling on his great poems. Bad advice to just tell everyone read the blurb when they ask questions too. Also, we do vote a lot on effects, but if it doesnt fit the context and it looks like bad, we are not going to vote it great. One word with the sabers-- R A N D O M.
Ok, First of all "The Fall of the House of Usher" was a story not a poem =/. Next, I came under the impression that you thought your videos were outstanding compared to this one. So i went ahead and watched some of your videos and i came to a strong conclusion, you have no room to talk. so next time you have something negtive and critical to say, think first.


Brettsta wrote:

but if it doesnt fit the context and it looks like bad

you might want to proof read before you submit as well. [/quote]
Posted: Tue, 13th Jan 2004, 10:45pm

Post 21 of 26

stqagehanduk

Force: 460 | Joined: 3rd Jun 2002 | Posts: 438

Gold Member

I haven't downloaded your film as the other posts have put me right off - Lighsabres? Edgar Allan Poe? Your mother's opinion on camera? And you voted for yourself! Five out of five! That's not cricket ...
Posted: Tue, 13th Jan 2004, 10:55pm

Post 22 of 26

pboniface

Force: 2335 | Joined: 3rd Sep 2003 | Posts: 366

VisionLab User Windows User

Gold Member

Welcom to FXHome smile

pretty good ATTEMPT
No it wasnt smile The effects were poor as has been mentioned previously.. You only have to watch "Art of the Sabre" to realise that the bar has been raised yet people still constantly dont even aim for the bar, let alone reach it...

"The Fall of the House of Usher" was a story not a poem
Story, Poem, Epic, Tale, Hard Core Death Metal Song, Whatever, the medium is not the issue, just the "out of placeness" of the effects..

So i went ahead and watched some of your videos and i came to a strong conclusion, you have no room to talk. so next time you have something negtive and critical to say, think first.
I have never seen any of Leonard Maltins Films, Or Barry Normans (if you are English).. Yet they still rip on movies good or bad... go figure !

So i went ahead and watched some of your videos and i came to a strong conclusion, you have no room to talk. so next
The two I's here should be capitals... as is the S in "so" following a full stop (period).
you might want to proof read before you submit as well.

Last edited Tue, 13th Jan 2004, 11:05pm; edited 1 times in total.

Posted: Tue, 13th Jan 2004, 11:03pm

Post 23 of 26

Brettsta

Force: 3385 | Joined: 15th Nov 2003 | Posts: 2114

VisionLab User FXpreset Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

Zarf, my things arent "movies." They are tests from the first times I was testing AlamDV, through "short story" form. Compared to this I do think my tests are better... The Lightsaber Test I have has much better sabers, these look like crap,plus these didnt fit the context of the story at all. I dont know where you come off saying that, but come on.

Poe + Sabers = tard Thats a fact, I know everyone else agrees. Also I have every right to say my opinion on things. I know how to do things, and I am looking into doing my first real project soon.

Anyone agree with the stuff I said?
Posted: Tue, 13th Jan 2004, 11:51pm

Post 24 of 26

ZarfStudios

Force: 0 | Joined: 13th Jan 2004 | Posts: 8

Member

Welcom to FXHome
Thank you neutral

pboniface wrote:


The two I's here should be capitals... as is the S in "so" following a full stop (period).
I was talking about actual Content, not Punctuation...

Brettsta wrote:

Poe + Sabers = Thats a fact, I know everyone else agrees.
yea its out of out place, at least its original, "the break in" Thats just codswallop, i mean it has been done a million times.

Now, i surmise your thinking and pensiveness, but at least understand what im saying... I mean its been said that this video is out of place 200 times, im getting sharooshed of reading it, how does it benifit you to repeat something that has been said on the exact same thread over and over?
i guess i just dont understand this site quite yet because im new here....
Posted: Tue, 13th Jan 2004, 11:57pm

Post 25 of 26

Brettsta

Force: 3385 | Joined: 15th Nov 2003 | Posts: 2114

VisionLab User FXpreset Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

You dont understand that this website is opinionated. We all have the right to our opinions. Also, The Break In was just a TEST I did shortly after I got AlamDV. I improve with my videos over a little time. Trust me, I watch it and laugh sometimes, but it was my first video ever using special effects. I could've just posted a few gun shots and say watch it, but I try to do tests in short story type form, as previously stated. Im not gonna throw a 2 second clip in the cinema. You've got a lot to learn about FXHome.

[/end]
Posted: Thu, 15th Jan 2004, 4:59am

Post 26 of 26

anonymous

Ignoring the whole issue of whether or not lightsabers and Poe is appropriate and any other issues, I just would like to know what the title of the first song is. I've heard it before in the 'Band of Fellows' (I think thats the right title) trailer but neither had the songs used listed in the credits.