You are viewing an archive of the old fxhome.com forums. The community has since moved to hitfilm.com.

California's "Three Strikes" Policy

Posted: Fri, 23rd Jan 2004, 3:53am

Post 1 of 40

elementcinema

Force: 436 | Joined: 17th Dec 2003 | Posts: 814

Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

I'm sure you all have heard of California's "three strikes and you're out" policy on felons. In case you haven't, here's how it works. In California, if you commit three felonies of any kind, or commit a felony with numerous misdemeanors before that, you will face at least 25 years in jail. Sounds good, right?

Well, it isn't. For instance, a man in California committed two unarmed robberies, then stole two slices of pizzas from some kids. He was sentenced to 25 years in jail for that. Crazy, but true.

Politicians know that three strikes isn't working, so why is three strikes getting more popular? People want to hear that we are getting tough on crime and don't understand the other things involved with the issue. For a politician to speak out against three strikes is to commit political suicide. It's really sad.

And this policy is putting more small-fry drug dealers behind bars, while the guys at the top of the ladder get off in exchange for names. Really sad.
Whatever happend to logic?
Posted: Fri, 23rd Jan 2004, 4:21am

Post 2 of 40

Aculag

Force: 8365 | Joined: 21st Jun 2002 | Posts: 8581

EffectsLab Lite User VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

It's not about being fair, it's about teaching people their lesson. Obviously, if they've already had two FELONIES (!), and been jailed for it, and then they go out and do something again, they're not learning their lesson, are they? Of course, there are some out there who'll never learn, and that's why our prison system is so full. I think that even though the sentence may be harsh, it's a good deterrent. People may actually start to think twice before stealing those slices of pizza from that kid, or before they knock off that 7-11, or whatever. Try not to think of it in terms of "25 years in prison for stealing an apple pie from a vending machine?", think of it in terms of "Well, now I know that apple pie will still be there when I want it." Something like that.
Posted: Fri, 23rd Jan 2004, 4:28am

Post 3 of 40

elementcinema

Force: 436 | Joined: 17th Dec 2003 | Posts: 814

Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

no i agree with you but here:
1.) It costs the tax payers too much damn money to pay for keeping people in prison for that long.

2.) I can't believe that a person who steals something can spend the rest of their lives in jail, rotting away with little or no freedom. That makes the government of Cali seem like a bunch of idiots.

3.) Every case should be looked at individually. Where is the so-called "justice" in basing a person's sentence on crimes that have been committed in the past, which mostly likely the criminal has already paid his debt to society for?

A murder gets a 25 year to life sentence and you cant compare someone who robbed someones house 3 times to a murderer and 25 years isnt neccessary. but i do believe that if someone were to commit a crime it would mean that they should be kicked out of society all together seeing that they are unfit to survive in civilized environnents. they should just keep it the way it was and deal with every case seperately..
Posted: Fri, 23rd Jan 2004, 4:32am

Post 4 of 40

anonymous

Its pointless, the people will never change, and atleast 99% arent going to learn their lesson. All a 25 year sentance is doing is making the prison systems more full, and making tax payers pay even more. Plus ruining i minor felons entire life. Lets say hypothetically that this felon (John) gets out of prison, and has learned his lesson. Lets say John cleans up and trys to get a job. Well to bad! He spent 25 years in prison. You think employers will be happy to hire John now? ha. Guess again. He will have no job, and will slowly drift right back to where he started. Once again he will have to knock of the ocassional 7-11 in order to get his funds. And then he ends back up in prison because i guess he didnt learn hsi lesson! aww to bad. Well ill tell you something, the system doesnt work! lol. Of course, thats not to say that he could have avoided turning to crime in the first place. But who knows why he did it? The fact remains that we are going to have to figure something out. Those prisons are just getting bigger and bigger.
Posted: Fri, 23rd Jan 2004, 4:36am

Post 5 of 40

elementcinema

Force: 436 | Joined: 17th Dec 2003 | Posts: 814

Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

so very true. if anything someone who committed a crime such as a robery or B&E they shouldnt have to go to prison, atleast not for so long. give them community service, a parole officer, a fine even. not 25 years in prison.
Posted: Fri, 23rd Jan 2004, 5:01am

Post 6 of 40

Aculag

Force: 8365 | Joined: 21st Jun 2002 | Posts: 8581

EffectsLab Lite User VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

Rating: +1

elementcinema wrote:

no i agree with you but here:
1.) It costs the tax payers too much damn money to pay for keeping people in prison for that long.

2.) I can't believe that a person who steals something can spend the rest of their lives in jail, rotting away with little or no freedom. That makes the government of Cali seem like a bunch of idiots.

3.) Every case should be looked at individually. Where is the so-called "justice" in basing a person's sentence on crimes that have been committed in the past, which mostly likely the criminal has already paid his debt to society for?

A murder gets a 25 year to life sentence and you cant compare someone who robbed someones house 3 times to a murderer and 25 years isnt neccessary. but i do believe that if someone were to commit a crime it would mean that they should be kicked out of society all together seeing that they are unfit to survive in civilized environnents. they should just keep it the way it was and deal with every case seperately..
1. You're Canadian. Why do you care what California's taxpayers are paying? I happen to be a resident of California, so if anyone should be complaining, it's me. But taxes aren't any higher than normal, so it's not worth worrying about.

2. 25 years isn't exactly a lifetime. Maybe if you're like 60 and you commit a crime... But most people that age aren't out there robbing bookstores.

3. Ok, say you're a criminal, which I'm assuming you're not. You're going to rob this place because you think there's lots of loot inside. You get caught! You serve your 3-5 years for breaking and entering. Now you're older. Wiser. You think you can do it again. Same thing happens. After ,you get out this time, you're like, "Man, I haven't broken into anything in a long-ass time! I've been cooped up for 3-5 years!" So you go do it again. You're looking at it as though the government is throwing people in jail for walking down the street. We're talking about felonies here. Not misdemeanors. I really doubt this guy you say was thrown in jail for taking pizza did something that small. (Can I see the article about it? It's not that I don't believe you, I just want to see it to make sure)

Of course you can't compare murder to grand theft auto. That's not at all what's going on with this. Situation!

A man breaks into a house looking for jewels. He gets caught. The system thinks he's learned his lesson so they let him out on parole. After his parole is up, he's still been good, but it turns out it was all a show and he's been plotting to rob a bank. Another felony. Now you can't say that's not worth more time... Anyway, if the guy gets out of prison, then does something AGAIN, they can't just give him a slap on the wrist and say, "Silly!". This guy won't learn. Throw him away for a long long time.

And if this seems too harsh a punishment for you, how's the gas chamber? At least they're not executing people for doing such things. No matter what, the felony that they're put away for is still a felony, and if they KEEP doing it, they need to get what they deserve for it.

Now, I can say these things because I'm neither a criminal, or a liberal, if you can differentiate between the two... wink I don't feel sympathy for someone who wants to sell drugs on street corners, or break into my house, or steal my car, so in my opinion, these rules are a good thing.
Posted: Fri, 23rd Jan 2004, 5:32am

Post 7 of 40

anonymous

All im saying is, if you put someone away for 25 years, you have just ruined their entire life. They will not ever be able to get a good job, and thats it. I dont think thats right. As for what should be done, i haven't a clue.
Posted: Fri, 23rd Jan 2004, 5:42am

Post 8 of 40

Hybrid-Halo

Force: 9315 | Joined: 7th Feb 2003 | Posts: 3367

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 3 Pro User MuzzlePlug User PowerPlug User FXpreset Maker Windows User MacOS User

SuperUser

I'm 20 and have never committed a felony...

Now using theoretical math... this could mean that by the time I am 60...

3*20=60
felonies at a 20:0 ratio...
60*0=0

So theoretically I will still have committed a total of 0 felonies.

If I can manage it, why can't everyone else? It should be 3 strikes and you're put on an island with other criminals.
Posted: Fri, 23rd Jan 2004, 6:31am

Post 9 of 40

cantaclaro

Force: 2036 | Joined: 24th Oct 2001 | Posts: 875

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

Dude...that would be a kick-ass reality show...The Real Survivor...I can just see it. "This week on The Real Survivor, TJ finds himself a new girlfriend. I bought him for a cigarette and a pack of Juicy Fruit, i know that may seem like a lot but I needed somebody to watch my back..."

Canta unsure
Posted: Fri, 23rd Jan 2004, 6:43am

Post 10 of 40

Bowie

Force: 1330 | Joined: 11th Nov 2002 | Posts: 208

MacOS User

Gold Member

Rating: +2

elementcinema, what is with your posts? You have some opinions about our country, okay. Why does it spill into this movie site? What is the real reason you are doing this? You're Canadian, not a Californian. A felon is what THE PEOPLE have decided it is. A danger to the community. So, you think we should let the Felons run free. What a great idea. I'm sure they would be nice nieghbors. Will they commit another Felony. YES. Maybe later you can lecture everyone about the U.S. Bill of Rights. Right from your home in Canada. Right now, I have no problem with your wanting to express yourself, but if posts like these continue, I'd have to offer that this isn't the best place for these discussions. Personally, I get offended. Most of you know that I'm in the Justice System. I have my opinions. But, they only come out in response to posts like this. I think if I started a thread about another cultures' traditions, laws, whatever, I'd offend someone. You, elementcinema, are doing this now. So, I look forward to your next movie project, but not threads like this.
Posted: Fri, 23rd Jan 2004, 6:54am

Post 11 of 40

Aculag

Force: 8365 | Joined: 21st Jun 2002 | Posts: 8581

EffectsLab Lite User VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

Thank you.
Posted: Fri, 23rd Jan 2004, 8:00pm

Post 12 of 40

anonymous

Atleast people are thinking, questioning, and trying to discuss issues of importance. obviously there is no reason for this on a film site, but im happy to atleast see that some people ask questions. It seems that these days to many people are caught up in the little picture, and their current small pleasures, as opposes to looking at the future, or thinking ahead. Im actually really surprised how many people on this site really do have good opinions. I mean, even the ones i dont agree with usually have really good points. So anyway, im done with this thread, thanks for the discussion! biggrin
Posted: Fri, 23rd Jan 2004, 9:42pm

Post 13 of 40

raider

Force: 774 | Joined: 25th Mar 2002 | Posts: 360

Windows User

Gold Member

I am a police officer. If you steal a car or murder someone, you have broken the law. If you STEAL a slice of pizza, you have broken the law. What if your house was broken into every week, would you not press charges because it's not that big of a crime? You people are saying it's OK to commit small crimes?? wtf
Posted: Fri, 23rd Jan 2004, 11:54pm

Post 14 of 40

Aculag

Force: 8365 | Joined: 21st Jun 2002 | Posts: 8581

EffectsLab Lite User VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

Who's you people? Not everyone here is saying that.
Posted: Sat, 24th Jan 2004, 12:31am

Post 15 of 40

elementcinema

Force: 436 | Joined: 17th Dec 2003 | Posts: 814

Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

what is the problem with posting topics like this? i havent said anything regarding your country that was insulting. i have just brought up the subject of somethings that have to do with your country. thats all. the reason for this is that all you see on tv these days is events happening in the US. I find it wierd that some of you find it offensive that a canadian is talking about events that have to do with your country and not mine..do you guys have something to hide? am i getting to close to something? what is it? i have posted two topics. Michael Moore (A FILMMAKER) and this one. this one intrigued me on the news the other day when i heard about it. it just seems like that a 3 strike law sounds too much like daycare. and im sorry aculag but 25 years is a long time. may not be a lifetime but 25 years is alot. holding someone for 25 years for stealing a car is ridiculous. a waste of time and money. your prisons are big enough now. and if you guys are wondering at all why im so interested in america or its laws and what not is because my older brother lives in washington DC. he works for the local swat team there. he is also american. born and raised in seattle. but anyway..you guys just seem a little edgy for no reason. all im doing is talking about social events in your country..i wouldve figured you wouldve liked that in a sense seeing how you would like to hear another persons view who doesnt live in your country..i know i would..
Posted: Sat, 24th Jan 2004, 12:33am

Post 16 of 40

voiceoverwizard

Force: 931 | Joined: 30th Dec 2002 | Posts: 465

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User

Gold Member

Oddly enough I have gone to the political debate forums and no body wants to discuss Movie making, or special effects, or chromakeying, not even "bullettime". What is up with that? Perhaps you can tell us elementcinema! surprised

Posted: Sat, 24th Jan 2004, 12:34am

Post 17 of 40

elementcinema

Force: 436 | Joined: 17th Dec 2003 | Posts: 814

Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

Aculag wrote:

It's not about being fair, it's about teaching people their lesson. Obviously, if they've already had two FELONIES (!), and been jailed for it, and then they go out and do something again, they're not learning their lesson, are they?
about teaching ppl their lesson? well if someone were to commit a crime for the first time and then sentenced to whatever and then commit another crime then dont you think that someone is doing something wrong?? ppl should learn their lesson the first time otherwise its your government letting a felon free. think about it
Posted: Sat, 24th Jan 2004, 12:36am

Post 18 of 40

voiceoverwizard

Force: 931 | Joined: 30th Dec 2002 | Posts: 465

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User

Gold Member

Incidentally other states have 3 strikes and your out laws that have mandatory life sentences not just 25 years.

I believe Michigan is one, but not positive.

Last edited Sat, 24th Jan 2004, 12:36am; edited 1 times in total.

Posted: Sat, 24th Jan 2004, 12:36am

Post 19 of 40

elementcinema

Force: 436 | Joined: 17th Dec 2003 | Posts: 814

Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

justinsane wrote:

Oddly enough I have gone to the political debate forums and no body wants to discuss Movie making, or special effects, or chromakeying, not even "bullettime". What is up with that? Perhaps you can tell us elementcinema! surprised

very funny..but seeing how this is a general chat forum then i guess its okay right? i wasnt the one who posted that topin on the state of the union did i? that was the first. and then i posted another topic about michael moore who is a filmmaker with some indepth opinions abuot your country that interested me. and now i have this one..nothing wrong with that. you guys are just getting too upset because you are taking what im saying all wrong. im sure if i was american you would have a different view on me correct?
Posted: Sat, 24th Jan 2004, 12:37am

Post 20 of 40

elementcinema

Force: 436 | Joined: 17th Dec 2003 | Posts: 814

Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

justinsane wrote:

Incidentally other states have 3 strikes and your out laws that have mandatory life sentences not just 25 years.

I believe Michigan is one, but not positive.
wow..high taxes there. and what a way to ruin someones life. you would be singing a different story if you were sentenced to life for selling drugs or something
Posted: Sat, 24th Jan 2004, 12:46am

Post 21 of 40

voiceoverwizard

Force: 931 | Joined: 30th Dec 2002 | Posts: 465

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User

Gold Member

Rating: +1

elementcinema wrote:

justinsane wrote:

Oddly enough I have gone to the political debate forums and no body wants to discuss Movie making, or special effects, or chromakeying, not even "bullettime". What is up with that? Perhaps you can tell us elementcinema! surprised

very funny..but seeing how this is a general chat forum then i guess its okay right? i wasnt the one who posted that topin on the state of the union did i? that was the first. and then i posted another topic about michael moore who is a filmmaker with some indepth opinions abuot your country that interested me. and now i have this one..nothing wrong with that. you guys are just getting too upset because you are taking what im saying all wrong. im sure if i was american you would have a different view on me correct?
Not really I don't care if you are American or British, or Japanese, only that you are basically doing to this site what Michael Moore does to film, stirring up crap and injecting partial agenda driven statements. That is your perogative but you should take them to a site which is about those type of discussions there are plenty of them. Here we like to disuss lighter stuff until there is something meaningful enough. For example the Columbia shuttle, or 9/11.
Just don't try to pigeon hole US as "anti foreigner" since only about half of us are American. One of the best parts about this site is that it transcends all the things that normally divide.
HERE THERE IS NO NATIONALITY, NO RACE, NO RELIGION. WE ARE JUST FILM AND COMPUTER ENTHUSIASTS.
OK?
Posted: Sat, 24th Jan 2004, 12:56am

Post 22 of 40

Aculag

Force: 8365 | Joined: 21st Jun 2002 | Posts: 8581

EffectsLab Lite User VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

elementcinema wrote:

about teaching ppl their lesson? well if someone were to commit a crime for the first time and then sentenced to whatever and then commit another crime then dont you think that someone is doing something wrong?? ppl should learn their lesson the first time otherwise its your government letting a felon free. think about it
Well, obviously! But the point is that for a lot of people, even if they system THINKS they've learned their lesson, they have not. Are you just trying to be difficult here, or do you really not understand that? That's why, if they haven't learned their lesson by the THIRD. GODDAMNED. TIME. they deserve to be put away for that long. And I don't care if that's a long time or not. They deserve it. They committed a felony, I don't care what it was, and they have committed a felony THRICE. I feel that's justification for quite a large sentence.

elementcinema wrote:

you would be singing a different story if you were sentenced to life for selling drugs or something
First, it's "singing a different SONG" not story. Second, element, are YOU a drug dealer? Are some of your close friends drug dealers? Your parents maybe? Is this why you are continuously acting like it's an alright thing to do to sell drugs? Maybe you haven't noticed, but selling drugs that are illegal and selling them without a license is a felony in this country. Maybe up in canuck land you can go around smoking crack in a taxi or on your lunch break at school, maybe sell a couple bags of weed while you're at it, and no one will care, but here in the United States Of America, that's a punishable offence. And I'm sorry, but people SHOULD be punished for doing such things. And if they are put back on the streets, and start doing it again, for one thing, they'd get a harsher sentence anyway, because that's a parole violation, but the fact that they decided to go do it again just tells me that they're f*cking ignorant. Just like you're being by going on like this and not realizing that what's happening with this Three Strikes plan is actually a good thing that aims towards keeping criminals off of our streets and out of our homes, not putting kids in jail for 25 years for tagging a street sign (which, is a misdemeanor last time I checked) or whatever it is you kids go out and do these days.
Posted: Sat, 24th Jan 2004, 2:13am

Post 23 of 40

elementcinema

Force: 436 | Joined: 17th Dec 2003 | Posts: 814

Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

Aculag wrote:

, are YOU a drug dealer? Are some of your close friends drug dealers? Your parents maybe? Is this why you are continuously acting like it's an alright thing to do to sell drugs? Maybe you haven't noticed, but selling drugs that are illegal and selling them without a license is a felony in this country. Maybe up in canuck land you can go around smoking crack in a taxi or on your lunch break at school, maybe sell a couple bags of weed while you're at it, and no one will care, but here in the United States Of America, that's a punishable offence.
drug dealer? where did you get that from? i was using it as an example. im not here to stir up things..you guys are assuming that because you guys cant handle a civil conversation about anything without getting offended. i havent come out and say anything like "red necks, or stupid yanks" or anything like that but you take it upon yourself to call my home land "canuck land". if its going to be like this they fine..ill play that way.

and im sorry justinsane but waser started a topic about the state of the union and i dont see you saying anything to him about it..oh no wait..he's american so i guess that would be wrong right? stupid racist. all i wanted were opinions and all i got was stupid judgements and insults. its sad and pathetic. you guys (and by "you guys" im not meaning the US) just get too defensive. and how can you compare me to michael moore? the only reason why you dont like him is because he is doing what he does form the inside. you guys cant stand the fact that one of your own ppl are causing grief in your country. ridiculous..and aculag im not trying to be difficult, i would rethink that before you start typing a reply. you should too justinsane. and what i was saying is that they shouldnt have to make it three times before they learnt their lesson. maybe if you justice system worked a little better then wouldnt have to give them a three strike rule..i dont see any three strike rules here in canada and our ppl are no different than yours. not at all. we just have the intelligence to disregard everything we see on tv as "cool". everything seems to be becomming so cliché its retarded. everything is so exploited in your country its insane! you guys brought this on yourselves. just think about what you say before you post a reply or anything otherwise you will just look stupid as you do right now,
Posted: Sat, 24th Jan 2004, 2:15am

Post 24 of 40

Hybrid-Halo

Force: 9315 | Joined: 7th Feb 2003 | Posts: 3367

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 3 Pro User MuzzlePlug User PowerPlug User FXpreset Maker Windows User MacOS User

SuperUser

General Chat, anything goes!
Posted: Sat, 24th Jan 2004, 2:20am

Post 25 of 40

Aculag

Force: 8365 | Joined: 21st Jun 2002 | Posts: 8581

EffectsLab Lite User VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

You just don't seem to be looking at it from any side but an ignorant perspective that would look at it as if it's such a horrible thing. Maybe if you took a step back and looked at it from the point of view of a concerned american citizen who doesn't like criminals and who doesn't want them around, your opinion would change.

I didn't say you WERE a drug dealer, and since you used that as your example, so did I. Simply the fact that you keep acting like you're trying to defend the people who commit such crimes is where I "got that from". It was just an example.

And calling your homeland "canuck land" isn't really an insult, more of a nickname. Would you rather I post a topic complaining about a law in your country that has no effect on me whatsoever?

We shouldn't be fighting here. Sorry if I sounded like an ass, but I'm just trying to get my point across to you, and you don't seem to be accepting it.
Posted: Sat, 24th Jan 2004, 2:25am

Post 26 of 40

Bowie

Force: 1330 | Joined: 11th Nov 2002 | Posts: 208

MacOS User

Gold Member

Aculag, give it up. He's ignorant.
Posted: Sat, 24th Jan 2004, 2:28am

Post 27 of 40

averagejoe

Force: 3592 | Joined: 31st Mar 2001 | Posts: 710

VisionLab User PhotoKey 2 Pro User FXpreset Maker Windows User

SuperUser

The 3 strikes is set as another deterent. Yes some still go back on the street and screw up and get 25 years or life. Others realize that if they break the law again they will be a blue hair when they get out and they decide not to do it. The ones that keep breaking the law are the ones that should be put away and strictly enforced.

In my opinion the ones that dont learn thier lesson need to be put away for good. At least my taxes will pay for his food and not my Wife's Great Grand Mothers wedding ring from her jewlery box.

The problem here is that elementcinema needs to open his eyes and think of why laws are in place. Not reading an article and thinking it sucks or it is unfair. If you break the law you should be in jail or prison if the law requires it. Enough said twisted

People should be held accountable for wrong doing.
Posted: Sat, 24th Jan 2004, 3:13am

Post 28 of 40

elementcinema

Force: 436 | Joined: 17th Dec 2003 | Posts: 814

Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

bowie im not the one who is ignorant..i can take a civil conversation without getting offended. i wasnt against anything when i first started this topic. i just didnt fully agree with the whole 3 strike thing. i wasnt against it. the thing i didnt agree with was that ppl should learn their lesson the first time and not have to be sent to prison three times and the third one being a 25 year sentence. i do see it as someone who would live in california. it does keep ppl of the streets but its just the fact that they use a rule that you hear in kindergarden for a justice system. i think that a case should be handled individually and a sentence should be given for every case.. im sorry but thats my opinion..just because i dont agree with yours does not make me ignorant..and when you guys start ranting about god knows what and that i just post topics here to start stuff then so be it. i dont really care..would you like to know why? because its over the internet!!! but im sure that some of you take it so seriously and that some of you are REALLY getting mad and i dont understand why. what is there to do about it? nothing. and like what hybrid-halo said..its a general chat. anything goes. atleast im not on here preaching about my beliefs of god and religion because THAT gets annoying. all im doing is bringing up certain topics that i thought you guys might be interested in..but i guess not..are you guys ashamed or anything? all i wanted were some opinions and obviously you would get other ones as an arguement (not a real one). im apart of alot of forums and i post the same things everywhere because im curious about what other ppl think. its a good thing to do. helps you understand things alot better. make you smarter in a sense. learn new things. the one thing i find really funny is that the so called "police officers" here get pretty offended when they should be the ones who really get interested in the topic. i know i would..but whatever..you guys are just so thick headed.
Posted: Sat, 24th Jan 2004, 3:20am

Post 29 of 40

Bowie

Force: 1330 | Joined: 11th Nov 2002 | Posts: 208

MacOS User

Gold Member

Cheer up. The Police Officers here understand. You speculate. If you were wanting to learn something, you had a chance here. But you argued. You get annoying. You don't know what you are talking about. Do you get it yet? We don't like argueing about it, because there isn't an argument against it. Lick your wounds, go make a movie.

You can also stop sending insults via private msgr.

You can rant on, call me whatever you want now. I'm done responding to you.


Edit : Speculate = guess

Last edited Sat, 24th Jan 2004, 3:33am; edited 2 times in total.

Posted: Sat, 24th Jan 2004, 3:29am

Post 30 of 40

elementcinema

Force: 436 | Joined: 17th Dec 2003 | Posts: 814

Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

you can post what i said all you want..ill say it right here. you are being a prick. i dont think the police officers here understand because you are just getting ANNOYED. that is what you said. so obviously you dont understand. i know there isnt any arguements about it. all i wanted were opinions..im sorry but i like to know whats going on in my world. i dont like to be left in the dark about anything. and hearing others opinions helps. im not trying to be annoying but you guys are making me out to be. not me. how do i speculate bowie? elaborate on that. and lick what wounds?
Posted: Sat, 24th Jan 2004, 3:40am

Post 31 of 40

elementcinema

Force: 436 | Joined: 17th Dec 2003 | Posts: 814

Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

what was i guessing?
Posted: Sat, 24th Jan 2004, 3:40am

Post 32 of 40

Aculag

Force: 8365 | Joined: 21st Jun 2002 | Posts: 8581

EffectsLab Lite User VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

Hey, man. You wanted opinions and you got them. Just because one person is not putting opinons doesn't mean you should generalise and say "You guys are just so thick headed". Who's being thick headed? If you look back at all of your posts here, you're the one being thick headed. Can we please avoid such arguments (read: fights) in the forums here? It's not that you're being annoying, it's that when you post, you honestly do not seem like you're listening to others opinions. Let's just try and keep things civil, eh? I know I must sound like a hippocrite, since I can say mean things sometimes too, but once I do, I apologise, and try and maintain the civility that I think this board should be known for. We're all a friendly bunch here. Let's try and keep it that way.
Posted: Sat, 24th Jan 2004, 3:45am

Post 33 of 40

Gibs

Force: 1663 | Joined: 21st May 2002 | Posts: 1611

CompositeLab Pro User FXhome Movie Maker FXpreset Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

The posting of your opinions is okay. But the way they come across (whether you mean it or not) makes it sound like you are bashing the justice system in America. Naturally, some people respond, defending it and trying to explain why it is the way it is. Then you respond back, others respond again, and we keep on going forever.

The point I'm trying to make is that if you're going to post your opinions, take the utmost care in making sure you won't offend anybody in the process. And don't post your opinion if you don't know all of the details about the issue. These political debates have been going on for a little too long, and if we keep it up someone will end up alienating themselves. Let's not let nationality get in the way of filmmaking.
Posted: Sat, 24th Jan 2004, 3:45am

Post 34 of 40

elementcinema

Force: 436 | Joined: 17th Dec 2003 | Posts: 814

Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

i have apologized..not here yet. maybe i will maybe i wont..just right now i dunno im confused. i apologized regarding big fish..remember? and i may be mean sometimes too. im not thick headed, i have taken all of your opinions into consideration but i just had a arguement for each one..doesnt make me thick headed. well anyway..ive decided that im sorry. im not gonna bother with this anymore..ill take my topics and opinions some where else. if you read from the beginning you will notice that it was bowie who got frustrated at first and not me and when i just didnt agree with him things got heavy. thats all
Posted: Sat, 24th Jan 2004, 5:08pm

Post 35 of 40

jjuerss

Force: 1150 | Joined: 5th Jul 2003 | Posts: 332

EffectsLab Lite User VideoWrap User Windows User FXhome Movie Maker

Gold Member

Just some food for thought...

The vast majority of crimes are commited by young men (aged 18 to 25 years if I remember correctly). Then they tend to grow up, see the error of their ways and become productive members of society. Personally I believe sending these young men to prison for 25 years for 3 relatively minor criminal offences as a terrible injustice, and a typical knee jerk reaction by right wing politicians trying to garner votes at the expense of these young men.

<edit>The above facts were found by an investigation carried out a few years ago. Please don't ask for the source, I can't remember the source</edit>

I am not for one minute suggesting that serious criminals shouldn't be out away for a long time, but 25 years for ANY 3 crimes? Come on, that is not justice. Justice is about fairness, it is about punishments that fit the crime, and prisons should be about rehabilitation as well as punishment.

Three strikes and you're out is about vindictiveness and a politicising of the issue. But worst of all it is a crime itself against human rights and has nothing to do with justice.

I write this as a human, not a nationality.
Posted: Sat, 24th Jan 2004, 6:03pm

Post 36 of 40

Gibs

Force: 1663 | Joined: 21st May 2002 | Posts: 1611

CompositeLab Pro User FXhome Movie Maker FXpreset Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

jjuerss wrote:

I am not for one minute suggesting that serious criminals shouldn't be out away for a long time, but 25 years for ANY 3 crimes?
I think that the three strikes policy is for three felonies, not misdemeanors.
Posted: Sat, 24th Jan 2004, 6:09pm

Post 37 of 40

jjuerss

Force: 1150 | Joined: 5th Jul 2003 | Posts: 332

EffectsLab Lite User VideoWrap User Windows User FXhome Movie Maker

Gold Member

Could someone list a few examples of what are felonies and what are misdemeanours in the US

Cheers.
Posted: Sat, 24th Jan 2004, 7:57pm

Post 38 of 40

Gibs

Force: 1663 | Joined: 21st May 2002 | Posts: 1611

CompositeLab Pro User FXhome Movie Maker FXpreset Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

I couldn't find an exact listing, but this is some stuff I was able to figure out by searching a bit on the internet:

Felonies:

Assault with a deadly weapon (gun, knife, etc.)
Attempted kidnapping
Stolen firearm
Unlawful possession of firearm by minor

Misdemeanors:

Carrying dangerous weapon on school grounds
Destruction of property
Possession of small amounts of marijuana.
Selling alcohol to a minor

Hope this helps some. The way I see it, if you assault someone with a weapon, it's a felony (and rightly so), but you're not going to get in much trouble for tagging a street sign.[/u]
Posted: Sat, 24th Jan 2004, 11:26pm

Post 39 of 40

Bowie

Force: 1330 | Joined: 11th Nov 2002 | Posts: 208

MacOS User

Gold Member

The California Legislature is hardly "right wing." They are almost the most liberal group of law-makers in the US. Sure, politicians pander to voters. They do what the voters want. That's how "the people" decide what the laws are. If "the people" want it a certain way, then it will be. Our society has decided that 3 felonies is enough to remove that person from the community. Why is this soooooo hard to understand?

Ah, Lloyd 66- Possession of marijuana (small amount = under 1 oz.) isn't actually even a misd. It's a petty offense, only a 200 dollar fine in Colorado, at least.

Last edited Sun, 25th Jan 2004, 8:42am; edited 1 times in total.

Posted: Sun, 25th Jan 2004, 3:40am

Post 40 of 40

Gibs

Force: 1663 | Joined: 21st May 2002 | Posts: 1611

CompositeLab Pro User FXhome Movie Maker FXpreset Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

Thanks for the clarification. smile