You are viewing an archive of the old fxhome.com forums. The community has since moved to hitfilm.com.

Need writing help?

Posted: Sun, 15th Feb 2004, 9:32am

Post 1 of 40

sfbmovieco

Force: 2354 | Joined: 19th Mar 2002 | Posts: 1552

VideoWrap User PhotoKey 2 User Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

Rating: +1

Hello fellow FXHomers, my name is Joshua Brown, and I have been part of this community for nearly two years now. My single claim to fame on the site is the movie 'Verbatim'. Hopefully it rings a bell for some of you. smile

My reason for introducing myself again into the community is to check out what may be a strong need, not only in this community, but in your lives outside the fxhome arena.

What I am proposing is a start of a new small business idea I've had for some time now. And I am first bringing the news to the people here, to see if my services are needed, to check the market, if you will.

Many of you have trouble writing screenplays and what not; my idea is to, for a fee, write stories for many of you out there who seem to struggle. The prices will vary according to length and what you are looking for in terms of genre/style. However, the prices will be minimal compared to the less than good sites out there charging way too much. I have written one movie (Verbatim) and I am currently working on two other movies...(Both of which I've written 30 pages or more on both.)

What I also intend to offer is other writing services. Many of you are in grade/middle/high school, and are often under demand to write papers while dealing with your hectic life. In my company, I not only intend to write screenplays for others, but more than likely essays, poetry and much much more.

Please, if anyone is interested/wants to see any sort of my work/wants to know more, please respond to this post. For even more detailed info you can reach me on AIM instant messanger under the screename:

WRITINGONTHAWALL

Thank you all, and have a great day.

JB
Posted: Sun, 15th Feb 2004, 10:26am

Post 2 of 40

callum_slade

Force: 279 | Joined: 22nd Jun 2002 | Posts: 150

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User

Gold Member

This kills the whole objective of fxhome! Here at fxhome people like to create there own story lines and write everything so they can say "hey i writed and made that movie". Not "i payed this dud £400 to write my movie".


Im sorry but i hate this idea completly and im sure many fxhomer's will agree with me on this one.


......................
Posted: Sun, 15th Feb 2004, 11:25am

Post 3 of 40

sfbmovieco

Force: 2354 | Joined: 19th Mar 2002 | Posts: 1552

VideoWrap User PhotoKey 2 User Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

I think you missed my point...I am staying away from those high prices...And I will take the idea from the person and turn it into a screenplay for the person...Many people have asked me to do this, so I don't think it will be too much different at fxhome...Spielberg doesnt go, oh i didnt write this movie so i shouldnt get credit...i guess we just have different opinions.
Posted: Sun, 15th Feb 2004, 11:47am

Post 4 of 40

Aculag

Force: 8365 | Joined: 21st Jun 2002 | Posts: 8581

EffectsLab Lite User VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

Actually, it is a pretty good idea, because frankly, a lot of the dialogue in movies here are not up to scratch. And I hardly think there's anything wrong with someone offering to help. However, sfb... Can we see some examples of your work? Just saying you've written more than 30 pages on 2 scripts doesn't really say much for your abilities...

Oh, by the way... Do mine eyes decieve me? Or are you offering as well that people can pay you to do their homework for them? That's a bit slimy, don't you think?
Posted: Sun, 15th Feb 2004, 11:50am

Post 5 of 40

Mellifluous

Force: 5604 | Joined: 6th Oct 2002 | Posts: 3782

EffectsLab Pro User Windows User

Gold Member

sfbmovieco wrote:

What I also intend to offer is other writing services. Many of you are in grade/middle/high school, and are often under demand to write papers while dealing with your hectic life. In my company, I not only intend to write screenplays for others, but more than likely essays, poetry and much much more.
What would your prices be? Many people on here who 'struggle' simply do so because they are not old enough to have developed writing skills. The people you're aiming at would thus be kids of about 11 or 12 who won't be able to pay much.

I think it would be much more in the spirit of FXHome if you offered this help here for free. If you want to market this idea to other people I'm sure there are places more appropriate. However, I am inclined to be against this idea because it is encouraging people to plagiarism & (if your writing skils are as good as you say they are) to attaining grades they don't deserve.
Posted: Sun, 15th Feb 2004, 11:55am

Post 6 of 40

Sollthar

Force: 13360 | Joined: 30th Oct 2001 | Posts: 6094

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 2 Pro User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User MacOS User

SuperUser

My only question would be, what makes you qualified to write a script for money?

Have you studied literature? Drama? Won a lot of prizes for your writings? Or do you just like what you write?




I am just wondering cause if that is a "business idea", it sounds a bit odd when you say "I have written one screenplay yet".
Posted: Sun, 15th Feb 2004, 1:50pm

Post 7 of 40

Rawree

Force: 3250 | Joined: 27th Jun 2002 | Posts: 1925

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

What I also intend to offer is other writing services. Many of you are in grade/middle/high school, and are often under demand to write papers while dealing with your hectic life. In my company, I not only intend to write screenplays for others, but more than likely essays, poetry and much much more.
So you're saying that you plan to do people's homework for them? because if you are then that's a bad idea. Would you sit someone's exams for them as well? No because that would be an equally bad idea (If anyone soes want their homework done for them just beat the nerdy kid until he does it for free twisted )

Apart from that I have to agree with Callum. The whole point of this site is to showcase your talents as a film maker, get your friends and crew to help with the writing etc but getting someone else to do it for you is pretty ridiculous. Not everyone is able to create amazing 3D animations or great bluescreening effects but everyone can pick up a pen and write a good enough story.

Rawree.

PS I would also like to know what qualifies you to charge for this service.[/b]

Last edited Sun, 15th Feb 2004, 1:51pm; edited 1 times in total.

Posted: Sun, 15th Feb 2004, 1:50pm

Post 8 of 40

Simon K Jones

Force: 27955 | Joined: 1st Jan 2002 | Posts: 11683

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 5 Pro User MuzzlePlug User PowerPlug User PhotoKey 3 Plug-in User FXhome Movie Maker FXpreset Maker Windows User

FXhome Team Member

Employing other people to write essays/dissertations etc for you is enough to get kicked out of most educational establishments.

And, as has already been said, you're going to need to demonstrate your writing skills a little more thoroughly if you want to get people interested.
Posted: Sun, 15th Feb 2004, 2:00pm

Post 9 of 40

Sollthar

Force: 13360 | Joined: 30th Oct 2001 | Posts: 6094

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 2 Pro User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User MacOS User

SuperUser

Not everyone is able to create amazing 3D animations or great bluescreening effects but everyone can pick up a pen and write a good enough story.
I strongly disagree there. Writing a good script is probably the hardest thing about a movie.
And hiring a professional scriptwriter is common in the business, as you're hiring professional cameramen, actors, fxcompanies, composers etc.



But still, to me it sounds very odd. You have written ONE script and didn't post anything about your qualifications... That you like your own writing doesn't really mean anything, neither does a pagecount.

Not implying anything, but currently, I'm still very curious to hear what you have in backup except that you have written a script with 30 pages yet.
Posted: Sun, 15th Feb 2004, 2:20pm

Post 10 of 40

4036Douglas

Force: 920 | Joined: 8th Jun 2003 | Posts: 893

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User

Gold Member

Rawree wrote:


(If anyone soes want their homework done for them just beat the nerdy kid until he does it for free twisted )
Hey! You wouldn't beat up a fellow fxhomer, would you? sad
Posted: Sun, 15th Feb 2004, 2:59pm

Post 11 of 40

anonymous

sfbmovieco wrote:

Please, if anyone is interested/wants to see any sort of my work/wants to know more, please respond to this post. For even more detailed info you can reach me on AIM instant messanger under the screename: WRITINGONTHAWALL
Well, he does offer people an opportunity to see his writing, albeit on a private one-to-one basis...

Verbatim was OK. Nothing to write home about in terms of dialogues or even story. I kind of agree with the others. What makes you feel you are qualified?
Posted: Sun, 15th Feb 2004, 3:19pm

Post 12 of 40

ssjaaron

Force: 1545 | Joined: 11th Jan 2003 | Posts: 1115

EffectsLab Lite User FXhome Movie Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

i like this idea, i like it alot. but you would have to work nonstop, because of the demand of the people lol.
peace out
Posted: Sun, 15th Feb 2004, 3:26pm

Post 13 of 40

Mellifluous

Force: 5604 | Joined: 6th Oct 2002 | Posts: 3782

EffectsLab Pro User Windows User

Gold Member

I still think he should scrap the idea of helping people with their essays. That's just unethical.
Posted: Sun, 15th Feb 2004, 4:00pm

Post 14 of 40

Magic_man12

Force: 853 | Joined: 20th Mar 2002 | Posts: 1350

Windows User MacOS User

Member

The writing essays , doin hwk etc...no...

I dont see anything wrong with people making movies that arn't their own scripts. If you think there is a problem with that - GO WATCH THE CREDITS OF THE DVDs YOU OWN!
I would say 90% of them at LEAST, have different names for "Written By" and "Directed By".

Normally someone writes the script - sells it and then other people entirely make the movie.

(of course there are exceptions like star wars and many more, but my point it MOST movies' directors are not the writers.)

-MAGIC
Posted: Sun, 15th Feb 2004, 4:14pm

Post 15 of 40

JohnCarter

Force: 3295 | Joined: 11th Mar 2003 | Posts: 1078

VisionLab User Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

Magic_man12 wrote:

The writing essays , doin hwk etc...no...

I dont see anything wrong with people making movies that arn't their own scripts. If you think there is a problem with that - GO WATCH THE CREDITS OF THE DVDs YOU OWN!
I would say 90% of them at LEAST, have different names for "Written By" and "Directed By".

Normally someone writes the script - sells it and then other people entirely make the movie.

(of course there are exceptions like star wars and many more, but my point it MOST movies' directors are not the writers.)

-MAGIC
Nobody argues with that. I think the debate stems from sfbmovieco "yet-to-be-proven" writing skills. My understanding of the current thread is that people wonder why he thinks he has better qualifications than others to write screenplays. I think it's more the issue here than wether or not people use screenwriters in real movies.
Posted: Sun, 15th Feb 2004, 4:14pm

Post 16 of 40

Rawree

Force: 3250 | Joined: 27th Jun 2002 | Posts: 1925

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

I don't see a problem with it and think that it is hard to come up with a good script but surely you'll feel even more proud of your work if you can say "Yeah, it's good and it's all my own work." My opinion is:
If your making a small short, your script is average and you're happy with it then fine. If you want someone to write the script with/for you then that's also fine, it's all personal choice. However I believe that charging for this service is impractical more than anything (It's only fair that you get some reward for your work). 1. Many people are iof an age where thay can't send you a cheque or do credit card stuff.
2. You only have their word that they'll pay (This makes it sound as if I think of you all as con artists!)

Rawree.

Hey! You wouldn't beat up a fellow fxhomer, would you?
Wouldn't I? unsure twisted
Posted: Sun, 15th Feb 2004, 5:43pm

Post 17 of 40

Frozenpede

Force: 630 | Joined: 28th Jan 2004 | Posts: 1113

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User

Gold Member

I think that the main problem here is that people nead to realise that EVERYTHING can be insperation of a plot, once you have the basis for the plot, you can fill in the holes and have a pretty good story. It may not be the next Shakespeare as far as English skills go but it will be entertaining and one more step on the road to making really good scripts like what sfbmovieco is talking about! biggrin
Posted: Mon, 16th Feb 2004, 9:28am

Post 18 of 40

sfbmovieco

Force: 2354 | Joined: 19th Mar 2002 | Posts: 1552

VideoWrap User PhotoKey 2 User Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

Let me just clear up a few things...

1. My main writing business idea here is the screenplay one. The hw idea stems from mostly my friends who want it done, so I thought I would extend the courtesy to those of you in cyberspace. By all means, if you want to do your own work, please do so.

2. I have offered an aim address, along with an e mail address to contact me if you want to see my screenplays/essays.

3. However, if you would search in the site, parts of my work (both screenplays im working on) are up on the forum. I thought most people would search, but if not, please, again feel free to e mail me requesting them.

4. Nothing says I am qualified...I think no writer in hollywood has a clear cut qualified status about them, other than certain directors write their screenplays and make them look good. Now yes, a good movie cannot be made from a bad script. But I guess what im saying is that if you don't want someone to write a script for you, then dont bother. I'm not gonna take your money then give u a script your not satisfied with. It's not highway robbery. This service is for the majority of filmmakers out there who like getting their hands on the camera and envisioning words becoming actions on the silver screen.

5. Prices and such have yet to be determined as this idea is in the infancy of its design. I would have to say first and foremost that the hw idea (here at least) is out the window, unless you are really in need. In that case, contact me through AIM or e-mail and i will oblige. Other than that, anyone here is more than welcome to see my work. Again, this service was intended for those who maybe had an outline of an idea (or no idead at all) and wanted someone to save them some time or energy by writing them a script.

Thank you all for your comments, concerns, questions, and interesting thoughts.

Josh
Posted: Mon, 16th Feb 2004, 1:45pm

Post 19 of 40

elementcinema

Force: 436 | Joined: 17th Dec 2003 | Posts: 814

Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

I dont really mind the idea of maybe co-writing a story, but just like kevin smith i wouldnt direct a story that i didnt write myself. Ill maybe take some help ofcourse to make it THAT much better. but i would still rather write my own stuff because you can then look at the final product and say "wow, this is all mine and its that damn good!" hehe biggrin
Posted: Mon, 16th Feb 2004, 4:40pm

Post 20 of 40

sfbmovieco

Force: 2354 | Joined: 19th Mar 2002 | Posts: 1552

VideoWrap User PhotoKey 2 User Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

Some of you asked for samples of my work...Here are the links to my partial scripts on the site...They have been changed since they were posted, so if you really are interested, e mail me a request to see them...:

http://fxhome.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=89436&highlight=#89436

http://fxhome.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=86724&highlight=#86724



I also decided to post a few essays from school...This first one is a take on John Swifts 'A Humble Offer' only with a new topic chosen by me...

----------------------------------------

A Humble Offer: Dealing With Taxes

It is with the utmost respect that I present such an issue before the population of this great and relentless nation. For it is the great attitude and spirit of America that keeps perspiration a necessity in the workplace. Therefore, I do so humbly offer a solution to a plague that has clutched the helpless citizens of what should supposedly be a free and democratic country. In these troubling, disturbing times a rich family is defined as a family that has a combined income of over one-hundred thousand dollars; this of course according to the liberals, and you must excuse my poor use of the political nomenclature because I never mean to corner such communistic and tyrannical people into a bad name. However, it is crucial to the survival of this country that the robin-hood style of government and taxes be put to a stop. In this nation, five percent of the population pays more than fifty percent of the taxes. Yet some fifty percent of the population pays only four percent of the taxes. This creates an undeniably wide middle class, leaving many of the hard working families left to give up some fifty percent of their pay check paying for the grossly irresponsible and demeaning people that do not fend for them selves in what can only be touted as a socialistic government. It is due to these insecurities against our nation and the floundering of the money that is stolen from hard working people that I do so lustily offer my solution; the government, from this day forward, will tax no one within the bounds of the United States.
This may come as a complete shock to many, but please be assured that it will greatly enhance the economy ten fold. For starters, people will now receive their full pay check instead of noticing a huge miscalculation from the IRS, because we all know that the government pats itself on the back many times over in the course of a year. Because they have their entire paycheck, they will most certainly have more money than when they started out; some will even have double what they used to make. More money in the pockets of consumers means that more money will be spent on frivolous items. What does this mean? This can only mean that Tickle Me Elmo toys and Furby’s will rule once again, and the demand for new addicting things to spend money on will most certainly stir new demands. More people will want to go to their favorite expensive restaurant more often; after all, they have double the money they used to have. And what does a company do when demand is high? They must feed the need of the consumers, so they hire mass amounts of workers that may need little to no training whatsoever. Along with increased spending comes the feeling of charity. Noticing that they have more annual income, people will feel a need to give back to the community. This money will only go to the most important programs, leaving stupid and intolerant programs to cease being. After all, if people do not give their money willingly to a cause, is it really that important to begin with?
With the rise of the population, the rise of people mooching off of government (tax payers) money never stops rising. Therefore, with no tax money going to these poor yet ignorant souls, it will increase their desire to find a job and to benefit society even more so. They will easily be able to find jobs due to the increased need for a workforce.
You may be wondering why I am so adamant in my sentiment for tax breaks for everyone. I can assure everyone hear that I will definitely not benefit from my offer, because for at least another 4 years I will not pay taxes anyway. As a lover of all people, I consider it my duty to look out for all of those in need. Money causes many problems in our society, and so more money in the pockets of Americans will give more hope to those who have lost confidence in our communistic government. We shall welcome in an old idea into a new era of capitalism, competitiveness, ingenuity. After all, why did we fight the British if it was not for their horrible ideals about taxation without representation?
----------------------------------------------

Here's one more piece of work, from the past year...It was a paper on time...

-------------------------
Time: The Myth of Control
People who say time controls us are wasting not only their breath; they are wasting time that they could be using to say meaningful things that actually pertain to new ideas of time. As humans, we all know about time, and that it continues to pass us by on a daily basis. In grade school, we learn how to tell time and the importance of being able to distinguish dates and whatnot. However, after we learn of its significance in the world, we tend to think little about it. Even so, it continues to push us around as its slave; as creatures of this earth we are dependant on time. Having established that, many believe there is little else to think about. Do your homework, finish your chores, hang out with friends. Why must I think about time? What about those thirty minutes a guy spent sitting, racking his brain, nervously awaiting the arrival of his date; or what about the fifteen minutes the basketball fan spent staring off into space in the stands, waiting for the game to start. Were these people wasting their time? To judge their use of time would be futile and prove nothing. Therefore, it is my conjecture that time will continue to shape, mold, kill. For ultimately, it is time, or for that matter, the lack of time we possess, that brings upon our demise.
Throughout the years of education, it is proposed to us that we should spend our time wisely, save our time accordingly and that it is preposterous to waste such a valuable thing as time. Yet, the irony remains that the younger persuasion is held back because of time. How so, you may ask; without experience in the world, a child will accomplish very little. This leads to the natural progression of questioning, how is experience gained? Through time, trials, tribulations, maturity is profoundly affected for the betterment of all God’s creatures. Would a five year old boy skinning his knee and the ensuing ride to the hospital be a waste of time? After all, the hospital was forty-five minutes out of the way, and the family missed the youngest daughters dance recital. The five year old boy will grow up and relive his accident many times; he will remember the pain and be changed for the better. However, this boy must also realize that he never owned time; for time itself is endless and infinite in nature. Many claim it to be ‘their time’ when a glorious achievement befuddles itself upon them. Even so, these people do not realize time is not of our creation; while we can count it, spend it and lose it, time cannot be possessed, it can only be borrowed.
Vaishnava philosophy implies that, “every sincere discussion about time ultimately has to lead us toward religion.” (Krishna) Religions today do often tell their followers the overwhelmingly powerful actions of time; at the same time, it can be seen that many people of the world that are not religious see time as an enemy. Time is something to be conquered, something to take advantage of, something to use at your own discretion. To believe in such a notion would be similar to telling someone to take a hold of the all knowing God and tell him how to run this world. Tampering with such a thing as fate, which also can be construed as time, is a dangerous hobby that many enjoy dabbling in. In the end, I believe that we should realize time exists and that we cannot shape time; time shapes us. Stop worrying about it. Some will say writing is a waste of time; for me, doing something you enjoy is never a waste.


Work Cited
Krishna, Hare. Vaishnava Philosophy "Time I Am". 1997
9 Feb. 2003 < http://www.iskcon.org/main/twohk/philo/roots/time.htm>


-----------------------------------------
Again, to see my scripts, other essays I've written or to chat IM me at WRITINGONTHAWALL or e-mail moviescreator@hotmail.com

Thank you.

And please, do not use this as a forum to debate my opinions in my essays, they are merely just to show you my style of writing, not my opinion...
Posted: Mon, 16th Feb 2004, 7:16pm

Post 21 of 40

Serdar3500

Force: 865 | Joined: 4th Mar 2003 | Posts: 408

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User

Gold Member

Nothing special. I would recommend to you that you scrap this idea. Think of something to do that would actually attract a lot of business. This screenwriting idea will get you maybe one customer unless you are a well known writer with a BA or Masters hanging around your neck.
Posted: Mon, 16th Feb 2004, 8:29pm

Post 22 of 40

sfbmovieco

Force: 2354 | Joined: 19th Mar 2002 | Posts: 1552

VideoWrap User PhotoKey 2 User Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

If you have nothing good to say, then like my grade school teacher, don't say anything at all. I would recommend to you that you let me do what I want. smile
Posted: Mon, 16th Feb 2004, 8:38pm

Post 23 of 40

Rawree

Force: 3250 | Joined: 27th Jun 2002 | Posts: 1925

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

I think you mean don't say anything unless it's constructive. Saying that you only want people to say what you want to hear just makes you sound dumb.
Posted: Mon, 16th Feb 2004, 9:52pm

Post 24 of 40

Serdar3500

Force: 865 | Joined: 4th Mar 2003 | Posts: 408

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User

Gold Member

If you have nothing good to say, then like my grade school teacher, don't say anything at all.
That was something good to say. I did not rag on you but gave you some information that would help you. Furthermore, YOu would be better off setting up your website and posting all of the information there such prices, your past work, your qualifications (if any), and that way you will get a more professional response rather than posting on a forum asking for business. Setup your website (if that's how you intend to attract business) then post on forums about the website and your services. Not the other way around.

I, for example, setup my business that way. I setup my website, referred several local hip hop artists to the site, and got the business I need. I have 3 music videos lined up for production, and even a website design deal because one of the artists liked mine.
Posted: Tue, 17th Feb 2004, 12:24am

Post 25 of 40

stqagehanduk

Force: 460 | Joined: 3rd Jun 2002 | Posts: 438

Gold Member

I am simply astounded ... It's just the sheer brazen arrogance that nails me ...

There's a great many people here with a great many talents more concrete and more demonstronstrable that yours, and they're all here to share and offer help and advice. They're not targeting kids for cash.

If your "If you can't say anything nice then don't say anything at all" extends to your written work then you must be one fun author ...
Posted: Tue, 17th Feb 2004, 8:16am

Post 26 of 40

sfbmovieco

Force: 2354 | Joined: 19th Mar 2002 | Posts: 1552

VideoWrap User PhotoKey 2 User Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

Lets all be communists and offer services for free. Damn those hollywood writers for charging money, and damn those theatres for making me pay 9 dollars for a ticket. Why cant the director be happy with the satisfaction of people seeing his movie?

Sound silly?

Thats what you just said.
Posted: Tue, 17th Feb 2004, 10:07am

Post 27 of 40

stqagehanduk

Force: 460 | Joined: 3rd Jun 2002 | Posts: 438

Gold Member

That's not what's being said at all. You may not be too bright but at least you seem to have an imagination.

Nice and simple for you:


This is a co-operative site, not a marketplace.

You can try an sell what you like, where you like, but this is an inappropriate place to do it.

You have no track record and no testimonial beyond the loud and insistent yell of your own ego. So, in fact, you seem to actually have nothing to sell.

You seem to be targeting kids, I suspect because you know they'll be less judgemental of whatever you curn out for them.
Posted: Tue, 17th Feb 2004, 11:09am

Post 28 of 40

Xcession

Force: 42802 | Joined: 21st Mar 2001 | Posts: 1964

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 3 Pro User Windows User

SuperUser

To be perfectly honest, having read your excerpts, I don't think you've got anything to sell. Its a second-rate product and you're trying to sell it to the inexperienced and undereducated. Isn't that just exploitation?

At least i assume you're marketting it to the inexperienced - i can't work out why anyone vaguely intelligent would buy it, unless it were for a nominal fee, like $1 or something.

Your style of prose is an unholy dirge of repeated phrases and words, pretentious use of the language, and curiously introverted egoism. I pity anyone who has to mark what you write.
Posted: Tue, 17th Feb 2004, 6:31pm

Post 29 of 40

sfbmovieco

Force: 2354 | Joined: 19th Mar 2002 | Posts: 1552

VideoWrap User PhotoKey 2 User Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

Hahaha. Too bad thats why I aced my high school english class. (Being that my high school is one of the top in the state.)
Posted: Tue, 17th Feb 2004, 8:58pm

Post 30 of 40

stqagehanduk

Force: 460 | Joined: 3rd Jun 2002 | Posts: 438

Gold Member

If you can't say anything nice don't say anything at all. You're a communist. I'm top of the class. Na na nanana.

What's next? Is your Dad bigger than mine, perhaps? Do I possibly have cooties?

But if you want to play that game - I'm an internationally and independently performed playwright. Do I win?
Posted: Tue, 17th Feb 2004, 9:11pm

Post 31 of 40

Sollthar

Force: 13360 | Joined: 30th Oct 2001 | Posts: 6094

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 2 Pro User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User MacOS User

SuperUser

Rating: +1

I thought you wanted to know what people thought about your idea and check on interest... Or am I wrong there?

In that case:

You should be aware that you'll only or dominantly have kids or smalltime filmmakers as costumers. Because a serious moviemaker wouldn't pay someone money to write a script who has no qualifications at all. And with "I think no writer in hollywood has a clear cut qualified status about them" you don't really help yourself... Even if that isn't wrong, but it's not the way a "business" works (fortunately, I might add).

It reminds me a bit of that kid who wanted to open an FX studio because he knew how to handle AlamDV... If you know what I mean. I'd try getting something up that might go as a qualification rather then "here, I've written something" - cause almost every filmmaker out there is on the same level with you there...
Posted: Tue, 17th Feb 2004, 10:13pm

Post 32 of 40

Hybrid-Halo

Force: 9315 | Joined: 7th Feb 2003 | Posts: 3367

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 3 Pro User MuzzlePlug User PowerPlug User FXpreset Maker Windows User MacOS User

SuperUser

*tags sfbmovieco *
Your it!
Posted: Tue, 17th Feb 2004, 10:36pm

Post 33 of 40

TMM

Force: 2288 | Joined: 10th Dec 2001 | Posts: 1241

Windows User

Gold Member

sfbmovieco wrote:

I not only intend to write screenplays for others, but more than likely essays, poetry and much much more.
Why not rename the thread "How to cheat through high school"?

sfbmovieco wrote:

WRITINGONTHAWALL
u've spelt "the" wrong... not a good start razz

sfbmovieco wrote:

I would have to say first and foremost that the hw idea (here at least) is out the window, unless you are really in need. In that case, contact me through AIM or e-mail and i will oblige.
heh is all i have to say here...

sfbmovieco wrote:

Hahaha. Too bad thats why I aced my high school english class. (Being that my high school is one of the top in the state.)
LMAO! that's one of the funniest things i have ever heard in a while, in the words of a wiseman, "the first thing you're taught when you leave school is to forget everything you've been taught at school, because it's a load of arse" and with this, i agree, i got a B in english (quite a good grade, not the best, but not bad... this is the england english...) but i am shitey mcshite at english, i can't spell, and my essay's aren't that much better than yours...

As has been mentioned many times, if u watch ya DVDs the director isn't always the writer - but this is amateur movie making, which means really small budgets, and your own satisfaction - ur not making these movies to be HUGE blockbuster hits to become a millionaire and retire in the bahamas, you're making them out of fun, or to go into the above stated career...

I agree that writing is difficult, but so are all the other aspects, ok some movies in here may not be good, but people have put the effort in to make the best movie they can, and i have seen in a lot of cases improvement from film to film. getting someone else to write it for you, doesn't help you improve on your writing skills...

Anyway, think i'm done for now... think this idea is a big no-no, you're main target is kid's or unexperienced movie makers, and, they could prolly do a better job than you...

TMM
Posted: Tue, 17th Feb 2004, 10:45pm

Post 34 of 40

Mellifluous

Force: 5604 | Joined: 6th Oct 2002 | Posts: 3782

EffectsLab Pro User Windows User

Gold Member

Ok, you've had people's opinions & some are in favour but most responses say it's either a bad idea or something they're not interested in.

The best thing to do is try it out & see if people actually employ you. In fact, I highly recommend doing that. Offer people the service rather than asking them if they'd like you to offer the service. You seem determined to do it anyway, & it would either make you realise it's not a good idea or silence the doubters.

I admit that I am a doubter. In this community, we are mainly amateurs. We're not going to get better at filmmaking just because we get someone to write a professional script. You can make a crap film out of a good script, so we need to write our own scripts so we develop further. That's my POV anyway. The answer to the guys not so good at writing? Try harder. Pay attention in those language lessons & read a book.

There are a few people here who are not amateurs, & who obviously produce higher standard films. But they're probably not going to employ you either, because they have the ability to write good scripts themselves.

Good luck in the idea, but try & sound less arrogant about yourself. You probably would have got a far better reception if you'd just said "I will write scripts for a small fee, & here are several examples of my work", & put a link to them in a document file. I do have a feeling that you will be more in demand by your friends than filmmakers, but that's just my opinion.

Giving our English grades seems to be perfunctory on this topic. I got an A in English Language & Literature at college in England...anyone require my services? wink

Last edited Tue, 17th Feb 2004, 10:59pm; edited 1 times in total.

Posted: Tue, 17th Feb 2004, 10:57pm

Post 35 of 40

stqagehanduk

Force: 460 | Joined: 3rd Jun 2002 | Posts: 438

Gold Member

In a similar spirit I've decided to throw open my services as a male model and gigilo, no job too big nor thong too small. Anyone who's seen me will see exactly what point is being made.
Posted: Tue, 17th Feb 2004, 11:39pm

Post 36 of 40

Serdar3500

Force: 865 | Joined: 4th Mar 2003 | Posts: 408

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User

Gold Member

Hahaha. Too bad thats why I aced my high school english class.
I, for one, am surprised. And by the way Professor Sfbmovieco, you have a punctuation error in very same sentence you used to flaunt your "expertise" in the English language.
Posted: Wed, 18th Feb 2004, 3:11am

Post 37 of 40

Gibs

Force: 1663 | Joined: 21st May 2002 | Posts: 1611

CompositeLab Pro User FXhome Movie Maker FXpreset Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

When you think about it, English and grammar skills have nothing to do with writing scripts, at least in the way the final movie is affected.

Sfb, if you really want to do this, then do it for free, with shorter scripts, as by request of others. If you really enjoy writing (and are not in it just for money), then this will be no problem, and then maybe you'll have a bigger portfolio when you do decide to go to Hollywood and write professionally.
Posted: Wed, 18th Feb 2004, 10:14am

Post 38 of 40

sfbmovieco

Force: 2354 | Joined: 19th Mar 2002 | Posts: 1552

VideoWrap User PhotoKey 2 User Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

My apologies to all on my recent ranting. I will keep my writings to myself and only write what I will direct. Again, this is no fake apology. Sorry for the little flare up now and then. Sometimes, a lil fxhome drama is needed to charge me up into making a movie.

(That along with making only 600 a month, about to be on your own...)


jb
Posted: Wed, 18th Feb 2004, 10:40am

Post 39 of 40

stqagehanduk

Force: 460 | Joined: 3rd Jun 2002 | Posts: 438

Gold Member

Self knowledge is a beautiful and precious thing. Consequently I'm offering self knowledge here at a knock-down low low price. Any bids on nuggets of insightful soul-searching on my part?
Posted: Wed, 18th Feb 2004, 12:03pm

Post 40 of 40

stqagehanduk

Force: 460 | Joined: 3rd Jun 2002 | Posts: 438

Gold Member

Rating: -2

Do I ave any bids on I Am Ofetn Inhibited By Fear Of Rejection? Anybody? Anybody?