You are viewing an archive of the old fxhome.com forums. The community has since moved to hitfilm.com.

Halo 2

Posted: Tue, 11th May 2004, 1:04pm

Post 1 of 116

aaron 99

Force: 369 | Joined: 13th Mar 2003 | Posts: 189

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User

Gold Member

Halo2 (The greatest game ever) Has set an official release date

November 9th

This will be by far the best game ever. It will continue the story and add weapons, vehicles and characters.
Budgie has released some new screenshots here.

http://www.bungie.net/Games/Halo2/Gallery.aspx?Gallery=Screenshots&page=3

I have my reserved and if you liked halo you should to.
Can't wait!!!!

Last edited Sat, 15th May 2004, 9:54pm; edited 2 times in total.

Posted: Tue, 11th May 2004, 1:07pm

Post 2 of 116

Aculag

Force: 8365 | Joined: 21st Jun 2002 | Posts: 8581

EffectsLab Lite User VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

I just bought halo the other day, beat it, and loved it. I'm sure the sequel will be awesome.
Posted: Tue, 11th May 2004, 1:14pm

Post 3 of 116

er-no

Force: 9531 | Joined: 24th Sep 2002 | Posts: 3964

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 2 Pro User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User MacOS User

SuperUser

Halo was over-rated.
Halo 2 will also be over-rated.

Just my opinion though smile
Posted: Tue, 11th May 2004, 1:16pm

Post 4 of 116

Xcession

Force: 42802 | Joined: 21st Mar 2001 | Posts: 1964

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 3 Pro User Windows User

SuperUser

I found halo 1 extremely repetitive, tedious and boring.

It broke all sorts of cardinal rules about FPS games (don't infinitely respawn the enemy, you f**ks!) and about 2/3 of the way through, i was so genuinely angry with the game and its makers; I ended up finishing it fueled purely by anger and the irrational thought that by finishing the game, i might somehow be insulting the developers, or indirectly holding their children to ransom or pouring acid in their faces.

Thats about all i have to say really. Halo was a massive disappointment to me, and is a very, VERY mediocre game.

Perhaps the console experience was better.

Whadyaknow?....the screenshots of Halo 2 look exactly the same as halo 1, except for a new environment (the neon city look) and a few more bump maps. Woo Bloody Hoo.

Thats one game i will most certainly not be buying, no - not even to torch it then put it out *that* way.
Posted: Tue, 11th May 2004, 1:35pm

Post 5 of 116

Zirk

Force: 1400 | Joined: 5th May 2004 | Posts: 35

VisionLab User FXhome Movie Maker

Gold Member

I didnt likke Halo particulary much either.

Then again, Im not a huge fan of FPS so I gues im not to qualified to comment it. I turned it off for good quite early in the game, where I had just saved when I was trying to rescue some soldiers and I had the jeep up in the rocky hills with them. The checkpoint was just at that presice spot, so everytime I loded it stated with the jeep falling over me and the soldiers in a mess, killing us all.

Yeah, to bad I didnt keep more savefiles but hey. doesnt matter.
Posted: Tue, 11th May 2004, 1:37pm

Post 6 of 116

Andreas

Force: 4943 | Joined: 9th Apr 2002 | Posts: 2657

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 2 Pro User MuzzlePlug User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User MacOS User

SuperUser

I didn't like the one player, running around killing thousend of aliens play.

Although I did really enjoy playing both split screen and coporetive (??).
As I don't play much games this was the newest FPS game I played since Counter - Strike. Which made everything much better then it prolly was, I did just play it for a week, but sometimes after parties it's fun to play with buddies, a bit of alchole in the body makes everything fun (almost).
Posted: Tue, 11th May 2004, 1:42pm

Post 7 of 116

Kid

Force: 4177 | Joined: 1st Apr 2001 | Posts: 1876

EffectsLab Lite User VideoWrap User Windows User

Gold Member

Yeah I don't know what all the hype is for either.

Halo wasn't anything special, it had nice touches but as an FPS on a console it was only the best of a bad bunch. FPS is way better on the PC, not only because the graphics and control method are much better but also because on the PC they simply seem to put more effort into making a story and the levels rather than just repeating the same thing over and over.

As for Halo2, someone showed me screenshots the other day and was going on about how great it looked and I was wondering if I was looking at the same ones cos I thought they looked quite shoddy!
Posted: Tue, 11th May 2004, 2:07pm

Post 8 of 116

Mellifluous

Force: 5604 | Joined: 6th Oct 2002 | Posts: 3782

EffectsLab Pro User Windows User

Gold Member

Half- Life 2 is going to be the game experience of the year. The new application engine that it's running on sounds amazing & sets new boundaries (or should that be no boundaries wink )

Halo is good, but repetitive. Too easy at times.
Posted: Tue, 11th May 2004, 2:53pm

Post 9 of 116

CX3

Force: 3137 | Joined: 1st Apr 2003 | Posts: 2527

EffectsLab Lite User VideoWrap User MacOS User FXhome Movie Maker

Gold Member

That game is gonna be ridiculous... and i mean.. honestly... could the graphics be any more crystal clear??? Amazing...
Posted: Tue, 11th May 2004, 7:06pm

Post 10 of 116

Colincsl

Force: 260 | Joined: 8th Jan 2004 | Posts: 278

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User

Gold Member

CX3 wrote:

That game is gonna be ridiculous... and i mean.. honestly... could the graphics be any more crystal clear??? Amazing...
Which game do you mean? Halo2 or Half-life 2(I'm not quite sure considering HL2 was mentioned in the previous post)

I never liked Halo much. Yes it is ok, but it is WAY overrated. I am sure that Halo 2 ill be the same way. Personally I can't wait until HL2. It's going to be completely awesome.


HL2>>>>>>>>>Halo 2
Posted: Tue, 11th May 2004, 7:32pm

Post 11 of 116

elementcinema

Force: 436 | Joined: 17th Dec 2003 | Posts: 814

Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

you havent played it yet, so how do you know if its going to be the best game ever? personally i think the first one was crappy. quite boring actually. there were alot of bugs and glitches in the game too. and who cares about the graphics, FF7 has the worst graphics ever and it is still everyones favorite game. right? :p

if you guys want a good game get Splinter Cell: PT. amazing game. there is so much you can do.
Posted: Tue, 11th May 2004, 8:23pm

Post 12 of 116

Pooky

Force: 4834 | Joined: 8th Jul 2003 | Posts: 5913

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User MacOS User FXhome Movie Maker

Gold Member

Yes when I heard Halo was coming out on the PC, I was like "woo!" because I had never played it on the Xbox, but had heard so much good stuff about it I was sure it was great. Then when it came out, I downloaded the demo, and was MASSIVELY disappointed. The graphics were extremely mediocre for a PC game (I have a Geforce FX 5200 so thats not the problem) and the gameplay was incredibly repetitive.

Now, Half-life 2, THAT is going to be the best game ever when it comes out. Perfect graphics, awesome storyline, superb gameplay, great environments.... I'm definately gettign this one the second it comes out.

Yeah Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow is great! Though the single player might be a little restrained, the multiplayer is totally brilliant! If you have no idea how the multi works, INFORM YOURSELF because it really is a wonderfully well thought out system. And multi is in no way restrained, because, for example, there is a game mode called "neutralization" where there are 4 or 5 little machines around a map (usualyl a building, but there are jungle maps as well) and the objective is for the spies to hack 3 of them. It takes 10 secs to hack one, and there are mercenaries trying ot stop you. It really is fun.
Posted: Tue, 11th May 2004, 8:34pm

Post 13 of 116

Mellifluous

Force: 5604 | Joined: 6th Oct 2002 | Posts: 3782

EffectsLab Pro User Windows User

Gold Member

Maybe the demo didn't do justice. Often, the graphics of a demo are dumbed down so that even people with low end graphics cards can use them. This happens a lot - I've played games from demo cd's & not been able to play the final game. I thought the graphics were pretty good & quite amazing scenes have been created. But the gameplay isn't great.
Posted: Tue, 11th May 2004, 9:03pm

Post 14 of 116

TAP2

Force: 1128 | Joined: 8th Jan 2003 | Posts: 1848

Windows User

Member

Unreal Tournament 2004 is king of the hill at the moment, through gameplay and graphics.

I doubt Microsoft's HALO 2 will be as good, but you never know.
Posted: Tue, 11th May 2004, 9:08pm

Post 15 of 116

aaron 99

Force: 369 | Joined: 13th Mar 2003 | Posts: 189

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User

Gold Member

Even if you didn't like halo, halo2 will be great.

Go to bungies website or any gaming board and do some research on the new features, watch the E3 video then you will agree with me!

I notice all of the bad reviews are coming from campaign mode. Get some friends and play multiplayer, that's what makes this game great.
Posted: Tue, 11th May 2004, 9:11pm

Post 16 of 116

fallen

Force: 1595 | Joined: 11th Nov 2001 | Posts: 586

EffectsLab Lite User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

aaron 99 wrote:

Halo2 (The greatest game ever) Has set an official release date

if anybody cares, they'd already know
Posted: Tue, 11th May 2004, 9:13pm

Post 17 of 116

aaron 99

Force: 369 | Joined: 13th Mar 2003 | Posts: 189

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User

Gold Member

fallen wrote:

aaron 99 wrote:

Halo2 (The greatest game ever) Has set an official release date

if anybody cares, they'd already know
Well I didn't know because they just said it this morning
Posted: Tue, 11th May 2004, 9:15pm

Post 18 of 116

Pooky

Force: 4834 | Joined: 8th Jul 2003 | Posts: 5913

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User MacOS User FXhome Movie Maker

Gold Member

Multiplayer in Halo is extrememly mediocre as well. Capture the flag.... deathmatch.... team deathmatch.... I mean come on, if you want vehicles, buy BF: Vietnam.
Posted: Tue, 11th May 2004, 9:17pm

Post 19 of 116

aaron 99

Force: 369 | Joined: 13th Mar 2003 | Posts: 189

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User

Gold Member

plus, the story is amazing.

If you don't belive me read the books!
Posted: Tue, 11th May 2004, 9:52pm

Post 20 of 116

Hajiku_Flip

Force: 3786 | Joined: 2nd Jun 2002 | Posts: 1669

Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

Heh, you should know not to post pro-Xbox stuff on this board. This is the only place I've ever been thats so consistantly against Xbox and everything about it. oink But yes, the Halo 2 footage from the conference was amazing and I can't wait to play the final game. GOTY for sure.
Posted: Tue, 11th May 2004, 9:53pm

Post 21 of 116

MechaForce

Force: 4654 | Joined: 3rd Aug 2001 | Posts: 1934

FXhome Movie Maker Windows User MacOS User

SuperUser

Listen:

If you don't like Halo, don't play it. If you like Halo, play it.

If it was a bad game, no one would like it. Therefore, it's not a bad game, because tons of people like it.
Posted: Tue, 11th May 2004, 10:32pm

Post 22 of 116

Brettsta

Force: 3385 | Joined: 15th Nov 2003 | Posts: 2114

VisionLab User FXpreset Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

Hajiku_Flip wrote:

Heh, you should know not to post pro-Xbox stuff on this board. This is the only place I've ever been thats so consistantly against Xbox and everything about it. oink But yes, the Halo 2 footage from the conference was amazing and I can't wait to play the final game. GOTY for sure.
As an owner of xbox and ps2, I can honestly say xbox is better for basically everything. Halo, being a lot of peoples favorite games, was not my favorite, but it is still pretty cool. Im really siked for the release of halo 2. It was suppose to come out last december or something. Then it was delayed to March 3. I checked ebgames.com, and found out itd been delayed till the current release date. Lets hope it stays put.
Posted: Tue, 11th May 2004, 10:46pm

Post 23 of 116

Waser

Force: 4731 | Joined: 7th Sep 2003 | Posts: 3111

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 2 Pro User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

SuperUser

I own allot of consoles that I still use (Saturn, PS2, XBOX, and GC) and I have to say the PS2 is by far my favorite, and xbox is my least. I got an xbox for one reason, and that was Shenmue II, which happens to be my favorite game, but everything else on the xbox is just not that appealing to me. I don't even own halo, but have played the crap out of it, and never thought it was worth more than a 20 dollar purchase
Posted: Tue, 11th May 2004, 10:54pm

Post 24 of 116

CX3

Force: 3137 | Joined: 1st Apr 2003 | Posts: 2527

EffectsLab Lite User VideoWrap User MacOS User FXhome Movie Maker

Gold Member

s an owner of xbox and ps2, I can honestly say xbox is better for basically everything.
Noooo waaaaayyy. I own both as well and PS2 is so much better right now. Xbox has potential but has ZERO games people really want to buy. The only game I own is StarWars: Nights of the Old Republic (which is one of the best games i've ever played...) and halo. But when i look at my ps2 games, they far surpass those of Xbox. Socom2 is one of the best online right now i believe. [/b]
Posted: Tue, 11th May 2004, 11:09pm

Post 25 of 116

Slick

Force: 1140 | Joined: 20th Jul 2003 | Posts: 924

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User

Gold Member

I think socom and socom 2 are among the gratest games ever. I use to play Socom online alot but sence I moved there is something wrong with my playstation 2 and Im not able to get online.
Posted: Tue, 11th May 2004, 11:37pm

Post 26 of 116

Kid

Force: 4177 | Joined: 1st Apr 2001 | Posts: 1876

EffectsLab Lite User VideoWrap User Windows User

Gold Member

I have an xbox, I still don't like halo because FPS on consoles sucks. I can only assume that all the people who think it is great have never played a proper one on the pc with a mouse.
Posted: Tue, 11th May 2004, 11:39pm

Post 27 of 116

Mellifluous

Force: 5604 | Joined: 6th Oct 2002 | Posts: 3782

EffectsLab Pro User Windows User

Gold Member

True. I love Unreal Tournament on PC, but on PS2 it's a nightmare to control with the sticks.
Posted: Tue, 11th May 2004, 11:40pm

Post 28 of 116

Xcession

Force: 42802 | Joined: 21st Mar 2001 | Posts: 1964

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 3 Pro User Windows User

SuperUser

People are mistaking the numbers of people who OWN a product, with the number of people who LIKE a product. With only one decent game when the Xbox came out, Halo was pretty much the only game worth getting.

That doesn't make it not-shit tho.

Halo was shallow in the most horrid of ways. To say it was good or great is only putting yourself down.

I'd love to say something generic, predictable and door-opening like "those who like it, like it, those who don't, don't" but to be honest anyone who believes an FPS on a console is even remotely good - quite frankly is a charlatan. Wake up.

Halo 2 will only be bought by the same vacant consumer whores who bought Halo 1 - the people who are so lacking in depth that an FPS on a pc is too complex for them - and by those who realise that Halo is one of only a handful of games worth getting on the Xbox

Last edited Tue, 11th May 2004, 11:56pm; edited 4 times in total.

Posted: Tue, 11th May 2004, 11:41pm

Post 29 of 116

Pooky

Force: 4834 | Joined: 8th Jul 2003 | Posts: 5913

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User MacOS User FXhome Movie Maker

Gold Member

Yep.
Posted: Wed, 12th May 2004, 4:58am

Post 30 of 116

jarar1

Force: 390 | Joined: 1st Nov 2001 | Posts: 228

Gold Member

I know I'm going to open myself up for lots of ridicule, but I actually prefer to play FPS on consoles, though the PS2 is my macine of choice.

I've played several FPS games on my PC, but I've also picked up the console ports of my favorites. There's just something about kicking back on my couch with my home theatre blaring that is so much better than sitting at my keyboard. And the degredation in graphics usually present on PC ports doesn't bother me. As long as it's a fun game, with a good story, I don't care how it looks.

But back to the topic at hand, I've never played Halo. I've watched it played, but since I'm not into mulit-player games, and Halo seems to have a pretty weak single player mode, I never bothered trying it.
Posted: Wed, 12th May 2004, 5:02am

Post 31 of 116

Bryce007

Force: 1910 | Joined: 5th Apr 2003 | Posts: 2609

VideoWrap User Windows User

Gold Member

Lets just be honest..Halo was a very fun game on the xbox, not on the pc. infact, i didnt enjoy the pc version at all really. The multiplayer with relatively simple, useful vehicles was groundbreaking at the time. But, when the EPIC (pun intended) Unreal tournament 2004 came out, they beat halo 2 to the punch. There isnt really any way that halo will have nearly as much content or expandability. And considering how similar halo 2 is looking to Halo 1, they are pretty much going to sell a ton of copys off of hype alone. If you really wanted better graphics, more and better vehicle (that can actually be destroyed) and superior maps and a constant stream of total conversion, Unreal simply rules. (and still will, once halo 2 comes out)
Posted: Wed, 12th May 2004, 12:53pm

Post 32 of 116

elementcinema

Force: 436 | Joined: 17th Dec 2003 | Posts: 814

Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

in my opinion, FPS games are boring and repetitve. Now that there are games like splinter cell, and FPS games like rainbow six, etc. original FPS games are just so boring. Unreal Tournament is the same thing as it was years ago, just better graphics and new guns, characters, etc. Not alot of people notice the potential these new FPS games have. The tom clancy ones..those are amazing.
Posted: Wed, 12th May 2004, 1:22pm

Post 33 of 116

aaron 99

Force: 369 | Joined: 13th Mar 2003 | Posts: 189

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User

Gold Member

Brettsta wrote:

It was suppose to come out last december or something. Then it was delayed to March 3. I checked ebgames.com, and found out itd been delayed till the current release date. Lets hope it stays put.
You obviously got those dates from a magazine or gaming web site or something because this is the first release date from Bungie.

And everybody saying socom was better because it was online is because Halo has 16 player system link and PS2 doesn't.

Ps: Halo2 will be a massively online game
Posted: Wed, 12th May 2004, 1:23pm

Post 34 of 116

Xcession

Force: 42802 | Joined: 21st Mar 2001 | Posts: 1964

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 3 Pro User Windows User

SuperUser

What exactly is a "massively online game" ? Either its online, or its not - there are no shades of on/off.
Posted: Wed, 12th May 2004, 1:39pm

Post 35 of 116

Joshua Davies

Force: 25400 | Joined: 21st Mar 2001 | Posts: 3029

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 5 Pro User MuzzlePlug User PowerPlug User PhotoKey 3 Plug-in User FXpreset Maker Windows User MacOS User

FXhome Team Member

Problem is that Halo 2 still won't get close to the concepts of online play that Bungie intended for Halo 1.

I've followed Halo development back from when it was all starting on the Mac (we're talking 1998) and I know friends of mine (Xcession) have followed it for nearly that long as well. I had a friend close to Bungie and the stuff they were managing to do with OpenGL and those old Macs and PCs (we're talking nVidia TNT/TNT2 and 266Mhz Pentium 2s) was just amazing. The vision was to create a highly optimised network game engine and a virtual world where people could join and become part of an ongoing battle. The battle would last for a period of time (couple of weeks or something). Really stunning stuff which as since been done very badly by Planetside.

What ended up happening when they were baught out was that they had to convert the whole thing to DirectX and remove all the grand ideas of online play. They also had to convert to joypad control which is just rubbish for FPS. 4-5 years later we ended up with a game which had slightly better graphics (although as the Xbox GPU is about 50times faster than the old systems they did demos on the graphics are not that amazing) but no real substance. The PC version plays badly (and needs an expensive graphics card to run well) while the Xbox has really limited and nasty online play.

I can see why many people didn't feel the disappointment I did when the game came out - few people were in to the early development of the game before it was shifted to console. I was really annoyed by the whole thing, and as all the other games introduced with the console were even more rubbish I gave my Xbox away. The PS2 may have never been amazing like the PS1 but atleast it didn't destroy what would have been the best game ever.
Posted: Wed, 12th May 2004, 1:44pm

Post 36 of 116

aaron 99

Force: 369 | Joined: 13th Mar 2003 | Posts: 189

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User

Gold Member

Xcession wrote:

What exactly is a "massively online game" ? Either its online, or its not - there are no shades of on/off.
That means most game have 16 this one will have 32 or higher


Schwar--- It would have been a lot better with those things but microsoft rushed it and said it had to launch with the Xbox.

However Halo2 is being given all the time it needs
Posted: Wed, 12th May 2004, 1:52pm

Post 37 of 116

Xcession

Force: 42802 | Joined: 21st Mar 2001 | Posts: 1964

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 3 Pro User Windows User

SuperUser

32 or more isn't 'massive'. its 'entry-level' for most online multiplayer games of this arcadey style of play.
Posted: Wed, 12th May 2004, 1:55pm

Post 38 of 116

aaron 99

Force: 369 | Joined: 13th Mar 2003 | Posts: 189

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User

Gold Member

Thats what their using as of now, It doesn't release for another 6 months so that may grow

And over 32 is over twice as much as some games like socom
Posted: Wed, 12th May 2004, 1:59pm

Post 39 of 116

Simon K Jones

Force: 27955 | Joined: 1st Jan 2002 | Posts: 11683

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 5 Pro User MuzzlePlug User PowerPlug User PhotoKey 3 Plug-in User FXhome Movie Maker FXpreset Maker Windows User

FXhome Team Member

aaron 99 wrote:

Xcession wrote:

What exactly is a "massively online game" ? Either its online, or its not - there are no shades of on/off.
That means most game have 16 this one will have 32 or higher
Battlefield:1942 could support 64 players years ago. Of course, seeing as very few people have good enough connections to support that even today, it's kind of a moot point.

The term 'massively multiplayer' is meant to be used for the big persistent world games like Everquest, Planetside, EVE, etc, where they have thousands playing at the same time.

Just to chip in, in terms of multiplayer I favour Battlefield:Vietnam and Warcraft3. TOCA2 is also looking like it's going to be a lot of fun.

However, the golden oldie Aliens Vs Predator (the first one) simply cannot be beaten for sheer visceral thrills, excitement and adrenaline-pumping, pulse-quickening action. Playing co-op as marines, with hundreds of aliens descending on you, a battle for survival...it doesn't get much better than that.
Posted: Wed, 12th May 2004, 2:00pm

Post 40 of 116

Xcession

Force: 42802 | Joined: 21st Mar 2001 | Posts: 1964

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 3 Pro User Windows User

SuperUser

Thats because games like socom aren't arcadey shooty games - they (along with almost any other tom clancey game) require a comparatively slower speed of play, more time taken and with more detail going into the finer details: such as exactly where on the body you hit your enemy, precicely what of your enemy's body you can see from behind a rock, etc.

Games such as halo/ut/quake/BF tend to have much higher user numbers on a server at a time, because less bandwidth is required - the details of a frag, a player, a battlefield are far less.

If Halo had any less than 32 players possible on a server, it would just be silly - they'd be shooting themselves in the foot (more, that is!). As such, halo is "massively" nothing (except overhyped, perhaps razz), nor particularly impressive in its ability to have 32+ players.
Posted: Wed, 12th May 2004, 2:19pm

Post 41 of 116

Joshua Davies

Force: 25400 | Joined: 21st Mar 2001 | Posts: 3029

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 5 Pro User MuzzlePlug User PowerPlug User PhotoKey 3 Plug-in User FXpreset Maker Windows User MacOS User

FXhome Team Member

And it still only going to do regular multiplayer - not online battle type stuff. It basically appear that Halo 2 will be Halo 1 but made a bit more like a regular PC FPS. It is still not a great game or anything special for the matter which is a great shame.

I would just like to say I used to be Halo's biggest fan (as Xcession and Malone will tell you) and even now I find it hard not to defend the Bungie guys (although very few of the cool guys are left as most have quit since Microsoft took over). It is a great shame when people are almost forced to sell out their ideas and concepts only to see them changed in to something nowhere near as good.
Posted: Wed, 12th May 2004, 2:22pm

Post 42 of 116

aaron 99

Force: 369 | Joined: 13th Mar 2003 | Posts: 189

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User

Gold Member

I never said Halo 2 will have the greatest online play ever. No, I said it will be the greatest overall play.

I mean new weapons (Battle rifle, SMG's, Fuel Rod cannon, maybe a flamethrower) duel weapon use (Duel needlers, and plasma pistol's)
All vehicles can be destroyed, flying vehicles in multiplayer (Banshee) new Vehicle's (Creep, ATV, phantom, shadow) new enemies (Brute, Prophet, and others) new weapons on the back of the warthog, new abilities (Sprinting, high jacking) New maps, better AI (Enemies can call for search partys, marines can drive)

^^^Thats just to name a few^^^
Posted: Wed, 12th May 2004, 2:26pm

Post 43 of 116

Mellifluous

Force: 5604 | Joined: 6th Oct 2002 | Posts: 3782

EffectsLab Pro User Windows User

Gold Member

Yeah, what a pity they didn't keep to their original concepts, instead constricting themselves & the game.

From what I've read of HL2, it's the game Halo set out ot be. The technlogy sounds amazing (but we will see).
Posted: Wed, 12th May 2004, 2:29pm

Post 44 of 116

Mellifluous

Force: 5604 | Joined: 6th Oct 2002 | Posts: 3782

EffectsLab Pro User Windows User

Gold Member

Er, Aaron - *cough* *cough*

aaron 99 wrote:

GREATEST GAME EVER
*cough*
Posted: Wed, 12th May 2004, 2:29pm

Post 45 of 116

Xcession

Force: 42802 | Joined: 21st Mar 2001 | Posts: 1964

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 3 Pro User Windows User

SuperUser

I suppose that will be better than halo 1.

And for a console, i conceed that if that feature list makes it to the release, it will probably be one of the best overall multiplayer experience on a console.

Its not really saying much tho is it? Destructible vehicles and a rich array of weapons are hardly ground-breaking features. Still, for a mere console i guess it'll be reasonable.

On PC, however, it'll just die a death. I can scarcely contain my excitement about waiting several months for a game, which has ...*gasp*...flying vehicles?! OMFG?!1?!1one!?!1?eleven.

Since you enjoy moving goalposts, perhaps you should clarify on exactly what platforms Halo 2 will be the GREATEST GAME EVA??! >_<?!1!! I dare you to say PC.

Last edited Wed, 12th May 2004, 2:31pm; edited 1 times in total.

Posted: Wed, 12th May 2004, 2:31pm

Post 46 of 116

Kid

Force: 4177 | Joined: 1st Apr 2001 | Posts: 1876

EffectsLab Lite User VideoWrap User Windows User

Gold Member

FPS's don't have to be repetative. The tom clancy ones are the same thing over and over through missions but they are going for realism. You could alternatively go for something with a good story like half life or max payne which show that FPS's don't have to be simply a fragfest. I personally don't like to play the ones like Quake or Unreal because of this.

Also Halo 2 won't be the greatest game ever, not even the greatest game ever on a console because other games are much more suited to the platform. It is debatable whether it is even the best fps on a console.
Posted: Wed, 12th May 2004, 2:36pm

Post 47 of 116

aaron 99

Force: 369 | Joined: 13th Mar 2003 | Posts: 189

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User

Gold Member

Mellifluous wrote:

Er, Aaron - *cough* *cough*

aaron 99 wrote:

GREATEST GAME EVER
*cough*
????????????????????????????????????




And yes, it sounds like you have been following this close, the only platform its set to be released for is Xbox. No talk at all has said anthing about the PC
Posted: Wed, 12th May 2004, 2:38pm

Post 48 of 116

Mellifluous

Force: 5604 | Joined: 6th Oct 2002 | Posts: 3782

EffectsLab Pro User Windows User

Gold Member

I agree with you on the whole, Kid, though I do like UT.

FPS with stories are fantastic. Max Payne 1 & 2, Half Life & Deus Ex were all really decent stories that I really enjoyed (hopefully Max Payne 3 will be a lot longer, though). Hopefully there are more immersive ones to come.

Last edited Wed, 12th May 2004, 2:48pm; edited 2 times in total.

Posted: Wed, 12th May 2004, 2:39pm

Post 49 of 116

Joshua Davies

Force: 25400 | Joined: 21st Mar 2001 | Posts: 3029

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 5 Pro User MuzzlePlug User PowerPlug User PhotoKey 3 Plug-in User FXpreset Maker Windows User MacOS User

FXhome Team Member

Think my greatest game of the year (if it does come out this year) will be World Of Warcraft. Its not really my kind of game but I'm really in to multiplayer anything at the moment and Blizzard are the best games makers in the world. They have a vast and very skilled team of programmers and animators as well as skilled ideas people. They also seem to make more money from their products (less going to production/distribution companies) than any other software company. All this means that World Of Warcraft has all the backing it needs to become an amazing title.
Posted: Wed, 12th May 2004, 2:40pm

Post 50 of 116

Xcession

Force: 42802 | Joined: 21st Mar 2001 | Posts: 1964

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 3 Pro User Windows User

SuperUser

With blanket statements like "GREATEST GAME EVER" it would appear to be you who has involved platforms other than an Xbox. Sorry.
Posted: Wed, 12th May 2004, 2:41pm

Post 51 of 116

aaron 99

Force: 369 | Joined: 13th Mar 2003 | Posts: 189

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User

Gold Member

schwar wrote:

They also seem to make more money from their products.
Halo 2 doesn't come out for 6 more months and has already sold over 4 million copies
Posted: Wed, 12th May 2004, 2:42pm

Post 52 of 116

Xcession

Force: 42802 | Joined: 21st Mar 2001 | Posts: 1964

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 3 Pro User Windows User

SuperUser

4 million? What a sad reflection on the average intellect of the console user.
Posted: Wed, 12th May 2004, 2:45pm

Post 53 of 116

aaron 99

Force: 369 | Joined: 13th Mar 2003 | Posts: 189

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User

Gold Member

Sorry for the old info its 5 million now. The most for any Xbox game EVER
Posted: Wed, 12th May 2004, 2:46pm

Post 54 of 116

Xcession

Force: 42802 | Joined: 21st Mar 2001 | Posts: 1964

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 3 Pro User Windows User

SuperUser

It gets worse razz
Posted: Wed, 12th May 2004, 2:47pm

Post 55 of 116

Joshua Davies

Force: 25400 | Joined: 21st Mar 2001 | Posts: 3029

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 5 Pro User MuzzlePlug User PowerPlug User PhotoKey 3 Plug-in User FXpreset Maker Windows User MacOS User

FXhome Team Member

Well thats rather over the top... Thats like a third of total Vice City sales (12-14 million and the largest selling game ever) on all formats. As the Xbox is such a small format (there are only like 12-15million Xbox's out there) I doubt 4 million have already sold - got a link stating that? If they have then they have already probably sold every copy they will sell.

Anyway, it doesn't stop the fact that the money made from Halo 2 goes to Microsoft, not Bungie. Microsoft give Bungie a set budget. The beauty of Blizzard is that they seem to get a high percentage the profits from their game releases. WC3 has sold over 3.5 million units with most of the money going to Blizzard, even if Halo 2 sold to every Xbox owner on the planet Bungie wouldn't get as much money as Blizzard.

Last edited Wed, 12th May 2004, 2:56pm; edited 6 times in total.

Posted: Wed, 12th May 2004, 2:48pm

Post 56 of 116

Mellifluous

Force: 5604 | Joined: 6th Oct 2002 | Posts: 3782

EffectsLab Pro User Windows User

Gold Member

The problem with FPS is that they cater for an audience who just like to shoot people & watch them die. I suppose the developers find it too hard to come up with proper stories other than combatting global terrorism a la Rainbow Six (another Tom Clancy, heh). So they're very formulaic, where you either combat terrorists or aliens (wow, deep stuff). People should get the message that we like stories in FPS, games that give a bit of character development.

And another thing: we've yet to see, I think, a multiplayer game where characters are actually developed (edit: in a story) That'd be fantastic.
Posted: Wed, 12th May 2004, 2:51pm

Post 57 of 116

Simon K Jones

Force: 27955 | Joined: 1st Jan 2002 | Posts: 11683

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 5 Pro User MuzzlePlug User PowerPlug User PhotoKey 3 Plug-in User FXhome Movie Maker FXpreset Maker Windows User

FXhome Team Member

Games I like are ones that blend genres. My favourite games tend to be blends of FPS and RPG - Deus Ex, Deus Ex 2 and Morrowind, for example.

As for online games that enable character development - just about every MMOG allows you to do that. Unfortunately they all use silly D&D levelling up stuff that totally breaks immersion, rather than Morrowind's elegant, sensible and realistic "the more you practice something, the better you get at it" system.
Posted: Wed, 12th May 2004, 3:31pm

Post 58 of 116

er-no

Force: 9531 | Joined: 24th Sep 2002 | Posts: 3964

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 2 Pro User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User MacOS User

SuperUser

aaron 99 wrote:

Sorry for the old info its 5 million now. The most for any Xbox game EVER
Excuse me? Sold five million already?

Heh - have Microsoft been making up figures again.
Posted: Wed, 12th May 2004, 4:03pm

Post 59 of 116

elementcinema

Force: 436 | Joined: 17th Dec 2003 | Posts: 814

Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

haha microsoft hasnt sold not even merely close to that. Why would so many people buy this game after just playing the demo.

seriously tho, if thats the case then microsoft can easily hype up this game so much and say its the greatest game ever and blah blah blah and then just come out with the shittiest low-budget game imaginable but it doesnt matter because they knew so many people would pay for it before it is released. that would be a cool scam.
Posted: Wed, 12th May 2004, 4:05pm

Post 60 of 116

Mellifluous

Force: 5604 | Joined: 6th Oct 2002 | Posts: 3782

EffectsLab Pro User Windows User

Gold Member

A plot for "Ocean's XIII", perhaps? Someone ought to inform the Hollywood scriptwriters.
Posted: Wed, 12th May 2004, 5:33pm

Post 61 of 116

aaron 99

Force: 369 | Joined: 13th Mar 2003 | Posts: 189

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User

Gold Member

You guys don't belive me? Its all over the internet!


Ps: You will also be able to play as the Covanent in multiplayer
Posted: Wed, 12th May 2004, 5:45pm

Post 62 of 116

Xcession

Force: 42802 | Joined: 21st Mar 2001 | Posts: 1964

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 3 Pro User Windows User

SuperUser

show us then.
Posted: Wed, 12th May 2004, 5:47pm

Post 63 of 116

aaron 99

Force: 369 | Joined: 13th Mar 2003 | Posts: 189

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User

Gold Member

HOW LAZY ARE YOU PPL!!!!!


Go to the HBO or TNR web sites
Posted: Wed, 12th May 2004, 5:48pm

Post 64 of 116

Xcession

Force: 42802 | Joined: 21st Mar 2001 | Posts: 1964

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 3 Pro User Windows User

SuperUser

on the scale of lazy, theres "not searching the internet"...then a few rungs below, theres "not pasting a url that i've allegedly found this information on, and have been quoting all day, so is probably very near the top of my history"
Posted: Wed, 12th May 2004, 5:51pm

Post 65 of 116

aaron 99

Force: 369 | Joined: 13th Mar 2003 | Posts: 189

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User

Gold Member

This topic is really starting to get pointless. I'm not going to post for 6 months until once I have that game and while you make up your excuses I will be enjoying THE GREATEST GAME EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted: Wed, 12th May 2004, 5:55pm

Post 66 of 116

Xcession

Force: 42802 | Joined: 21st Mar 2001 | Posts: 1964

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 3 Pro User Windows User

SuperUser

You mean excuses like not getting a URL which is surely on the tip of your tongue, and instead starting the conversation from the beginning again, when you could just provide us with evidence and shut us all up?

I just want to see the sales figures, thats all. Seeing proof of fact in someone's side of a discussion, is about as un-pointless as discussion gets.
Posted: Wed, 12th May 2004, 6:27pm

Post 67 of 116

aaron 99

Force: 369 | Joined: 13th Mar 2003 | Posts: 189

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User

Gold Member

Rating: -1

This is going against what I said in my last post so this is my last

Here you go lazy:

http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/default.asp?site=AOL-keyword

They had over 1 million pre-orders alone

http://gamestop.com/Default.asp?cookie%5Ftest=1&

They've had over 2 million


Amazon has sold a lot

Plus the places like best buy ect


ps: This really is the last post on this topic
Posted: Wed, 12th May 2004, 6:40pm

Post 68 of 116

Xcession

Force: 42802 | Joined: 21st Mar 2001 | Posts: 1964

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 3 Pro User Windows User

SuperUser

Rating: +1/-1

Ok and where EXACTLY on either of those two generic sites (which any chump could have connected to halo 2), does it say that they've sold as many as you mention?

I like your discussion technique. For those who want to be more like Aaron 99, follow this simple tutorial and you'll be well on your way..

1. start with a blanket statement
2. back up your pseudo-arguement with 'facts' you've fabricated.
3. circumlocute your way out of the hole you've dug yourself when people ask for proof of said facts, and if challenged, use the "its common knowledge" defense, which is a great tool because it makes them look ignorant, makes you look like you're "with it" and hopefully stuns them into silence (while they hunt for aforementionned 'common knowledge').
4. When/If this defense is challenged, followed up by pointing in the other direction, go "look - over there!" and leg it into the anonimity of alleged silence until such a time as your false facts either become truth, or until everyone has forgotten about it.

What an amazing case you've put for halo 2! Well Done!
Posted: Wed, 12th May 2004, 6:42pm

Post 69 of 116

er-no

Force: 9531 | Joined: 24th Sep 2002 | Posts: 3964

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 2 Pro User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User MacOS User

SuperUser

I've followed the links and had a browse around - I found nothing mentioning a few million preorders or anything like that?

I'm quite sure I would have also picked up on a game having 5million preorders six months before its release. Heh, just admit it, you made up the statistic.
Posted: Wed, 12th May 2004, 6:55pm

Post 70 of 116

aaron 99

Force: 369 | Joined: 13th Mar 2003 | Posts: 189

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User

Gold Member

No matter what I post its not going to work you'll always say something like "Oh that's an invalid source" or something like that so why don't you do this


If you are going to buy halo 2 and want to discuss the plot or features or something we can do just that.

If you want to sit he and make up excuses totally irrelevant to the topic go somewhere else.

I am honored that you have spent the whole morning replying to my topic.


If you don't want to buy this game then make your own topic about how bad it will be, because you are obviously not wanted here!


But it appears that you do have some interest in this game considering you have been posting from 10:00

Here is an Idea, why don't you do some research on a topic before you start an argument about it

You my friend are a troll, A FLAMING TROLL
Posted: Wed, 12th May 2004, 7:05pm

Post 71 of 116

Xcession

Force: 42802 | Joined: 21st Mar 2001 | Posts: 1964

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 3 Pro User Windows User

SuperUser

Research? Speak for yourself! You're the one quoting non-existant facts.

If you actually showed us where one of those many gaming sites said what their pre-order figures were, i'd shut the hell up and disappear from the thread.

Trolling would be to insult you with baseless accusations. We've, on the other hand, given you ample opportunity to corroberate your facts and make us all wrong for eternity, you've not taken it - rather telling don't you think? The only reason i'm now staying on is to watch you squirm.
Posted: Wed, 12th May 2004, 7:12pm

Post 72 of 116

aaron 99

Force: 369 | Joined: 13th Mar 2003 | Posts: 189

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User

Gold Member

Well it appears that for the halo2 to poll "yes" has 100% of the votes

And what do you mean "WE" Your the only one I have a problem with


If you will not leave I will fairwell Lame ass troll
Posted: Wed, 12th May 2004, 7:15pm

Post 73 of 116

Xcession

Force: 42802 | Joined: 21st Mar 2001 | Posts: 1964

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 3 Pro User Windows User

SuperUser

Don't let the door hit you on the way out
Posted: Wed, 12th May 2004, 7:17pm

Post 74 of 116

CX3

Force: 3137 | Joined: 1st Apr 2003 | Posts: 2527

EffectsLab Lite User VideoWrap User MacOS User FXhome Movie Maker

Gold Member

Yea aaron, i love halo, and i will def be buying halo2. But u havent shown any evidence of the amt. of copies pre-ordered. Just give the proof and stop dancing around it, cuz i would like to know as well.
Posted: Wed, 12th May 2004, 8:25pm

Post 75 of 116

Joshua Davies

Force: 25400 | Joined: 21st Mar 2001 | Posts: 3029

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 5 Pro User MuzzlePlug User PowerPlug User PhotoKey 3 Plug-in User FXpreset Maker Windows User MacOS User

FXhome Team Member

Heh, nice - still no links proving the 4-5million pre-orders. If you did read this why not just give us the URL as well?
Posted: Wed, 12th May 2004, 8:27pm

Post 76 of 116

sidewinder

Force: 4937 | Joined: 5th Aug 2001 | Posts: 2453

FXhome Movie Maker Windows User MacOS User

SuperUser

Aaron, shut up man, you're making a fool of yourself.

So guys, is using a controller too advanced for your hand-eye coordination skills? I don't understand this rabid hatred you seem to hold for any game invovling gun combat that is played on the television, rather than on a much more expensive box hooked up to a monitor.





They're practically the same! Why, to beleive I thought Halo 2 looked better.



I thought that looked fun, until I realized I couldn't play it with a mouse and keyboard.



WHY MICROSOFT, WHY!? Why did you have to bastardize this once proud game!



And to think I could be playing a Myth style strategy game! But noooooo.
Posted: Wed, 12th May 2004, 8:40pm

Post 77 of 116

Joshua Davies

Force: 25400 | Joined: 21st Mar 2001 | Posts: 3029

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 5 Pro User MuzzlePlug User PowerPlug User PhotoKey 3 Plug-in User FXpreset Maker Windows User MacOS User

FXhome Team Member

Why does it have to be too complex for us? Why can't it just be the a mouse is a better control for a FPS? I think its the "BEST GAME EVER" thing that annoyed people.

Halo is respected by most Xbox players but thats about it. PC gamers find Halo pretty old hat on the whole. The PC is the biggest platform for FPS games where Halo faces the most competition and loses. If you take a class game like GT3 - it is considered by most people to be the best racing game on any platform. Halo is only the best FPS on the Xbox - which itself isn't a big platform like PS2 or PCs.

I think this one will go on and on, would still be good to see Aaron's link. wink

P.S. Good to see ya Sidewinder - you and Mecha should pop in to chat sometime, would loved to hear about your next project.
Posted: Wed, 12th May 2004, 11:47pm

Post 78 of 116

Bryce007

Force: 1910 | Joined: 5th Apr 2003 | Posts: 2609

VideoWrap User Windows User

Gold Member

MAN, that was the worst circle arguing of all time on a forum. anyways, Halo 2 looks really fun, and i would prefer the xbox version over the pc version. But, it really isnt that stunningly innovative. still going to buy it though.
Posted: Thu, 13th May 2004, 4:13pm

Post 79 of 116

TAP2

Force: 1128 | Joined: 8th Jan 2003 | Posts: 1848

Windows User

Member

For those of you who don't know what the hell you're talking about...
This is about as good as games get NOW, in terms of graphics.

That screenshot is taken on my computer - Radeon 9700 Pro (with 2X Anti Alising)

From the look at Mecha's screens, HALO2 may have better character detail (although there aren't any people in the piccy I've posted)
Then again, I've seen screenshots of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and HalfLife 2 that are far superior to all these screens.

Posted: Thu, 13th May 2004, 7:05pm

Post 80 of 116

MechaForce

Force: 4654 | Joined: 3rd Aug 2001 | Posts: 1934

FXhome Movie Maker Windows User MacOS User

SuperUser

If you don't like Halo, don't play it. Telling people how terrible the game is just because YOU don't like it is pointless because it's a very well made and fun game, which many people enjoy.

And there is no such thing as the "Best Game Ever".

-End Of Discussion-

Hi Schwar!
Posted: Thu, 13th May 2004, 7:08pm

Post 81 of 116

sidewinder

Force: 4937 | Joined: 5th Aug 2001 | Posts: 2453

FXhome Movie Maker Windows User MacOS User

SuperUser

Is that picture supposed to blow Halo 2 and the Xbox out of the water? I really don't understand..
Posted: Thu, 13th May 2004, 7:42pm

Post 82 of 116

CX3

Force: 3137 | Joined: 1st Apr 2003 | Posts: 2527

EffectsLab Lite User VideoWrap User MacOS User FXhome Movie Maker

Gold Member

yea, i didnt get whats goin on w/ that either..
Posted: Thu, 13th May 2004, 8:09pm

Post 83 of 116

Joshua Davies

Force: 25400 | Joined: 21st Mar 2001 | Posts: 3029

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 5 Pro User MuzzlePlug User PowerPlug User PhotoKey 3 Plug-in User FXpreset Maker Windows User MacOS User

FXhome Team Member

Wonder what those screen shots for Halo2 were done on as its not in the resolution the game plays at..
Posted: Thu, 13th May 2004, 10:09pm

Post 84 of 116

sidewinder

Force: 4937 | Joined: 5th Aug 2001 | Posts: 2453

FXhome Movie Maker Windows User MacOS User

SuperUser

The game plays on HDTV resolution.

Haven't we had this debate before? PC FPS's Versus Console FPS's?
Posted: Thu, 13th May 2004, 11:34pm

Post 85 of 116

Bryce007

Force: 1910 | Joined: 5th Apr 2003 | Posts: 2609

VideoWrap User Windows User

Gold Member

Farcry screenshot? i dont know where that came from..
either way, that game doesnt have the overall best graphics. it may have one of the best engines, but im going to have to say max payne 2's textures, models, bumpmapping and overall graphical structure outdoes farcry. farcry beats it on water (obviously), scale and ragdoll (just barely)
Posted: Fri, 14th May 2004, 5:35pm

Post 86 of 116

TAP2

Force: 1128 | Joined: 8th Jan 2003 | Posts: 1848

Windows User

Member

Hi,

I just realised that the JPEG compression I used did kind of blur the whole image. Those screenshots of Halo2 look identical, if not worse, to Unreal Tournament 2004.

1) PC Games will ALLWAYS have better graphics. PC Hardware doubles in power and halves in price every year, PC games also follow a similar pattern. Many PC Games also run at 1600*1024 compared to the pathetic 720*576 of consoles.
You can start an argument with me about this, but you've no ground to stand on. By the time XBOX2 is released, PC will technically allready have overtaken it (even admitted by the XBOX2 designers!)

In just ONE year, Graphics cards have improved enormously (from Radeon 9700Pro to X800) 104.5 frames a second... no comment.


2) Far Cry is designed at providing very impressive graphics in huge enviroments. It also has amazingly large draw distances. If in the picture above, I'd got my sniper rifle out - I could have easily zoomed right in to the tower in the background.
Max Payne 2 features an incredible engine, although it is designed for ultra photorealistic indoor environments. Therefore, the quality overall is better.
The ragdoll physics in Far Cry seems better to me, I love shooting barrels into the ocean and watching them float away smile

The overall conclusion is that Halo2 XBOX version will be under several limitations, therefore it will be inferior to the PC Version. The PC Version will deliver some amazing graphics, but like everything - it won't last 5 minutes.

Precides, Isn't it the gameplay that counts the most?
Call Of Duty has poor graphics, yet it's an awesome game. I prefur the classic keyboard/mouse anyday to a crappy controller. (I especially hate the XBOX ones. PS2 and GC ones are great)
Posted: Fri, 14th May 2004, 6:20pm

Post 87 of 116

Joshua Davies

Force: 25400 | Joined: 21st Mar 2001 | Posts: 3029

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 5 Pro User MuzzlePlug User PowerPlug User PhotoKey 3 Plug-in User FXpreset Maker Windows User MacOS User

FXhome Team Member

Sidewinder - the game may play at HD res (although I expect 1280x720 would really stress out the Xbox, it would have no chance at 1920x1080) but those image are 1600x1200 which isn't an HD resolution.
Posted: Sat, 15th May 2004, 12:01am

Post 88 of 116

aaron 99

Force: 369 | Joined: 13th Mar 2003 | Posts: 189

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User

Gold Member

Rating: -2

OK guys, you wanted this so here it is

Nobody has pre-orderd halo2. Halo2 will NOT have any new weapons,
halo2 to will NOT have a new plot, halo2 will have NO new features. I made it all up. ITS ALL A LIE.
In fact there is no such game as halo2, I just thought of that too.
Does that make you guys happy?

Oh, Xcession, I made up a little tute for you too.

If you want to learn to write like a troll, AKA Xcession, just follow these simple steps:


1. Come to comment about a game that you won't even buy
2. Take every signal word and butcher and twist it to use it against the person.
3. Continue to post messages to annoying other people
4. Repeat
5. Repeat

Troll- someone who post just to annoy other users



PS: This is my largest topic razz
Posted: Sat, 15th May 2004, 1:29am

Post 89 of 116

Kid

Force: 4177 | Joined: 1st Apr 2001 | Posts: 1876

EffectsLab Lite User VideoWrap User Windows User

Gold Member

You are trying to be clever by saying the exact opposite of everything hoping this will suddenly trick us into thinking you are right. The problem is that we are not as daft as you. razz

It is fair to say that Halo2 will have new stuff, it will be better than Halo and it will be bought by some people. However it is also safe to say that it is inferior in graphics, control method and finish to the current release of pc fps games.

It is also safe to say that it is not the best game ever. If not for the reasons above then for the fact that it is outsold by much more popular games even on consoles such as the sims or grand theft auto.
Posted: Sat, 15th May 2004, 3:22am

Post 90 of 116

Brettsta

Force: 3385 | Joined: 15th Nov 2003 | Posts: 2114

VisionLab User FXpreset Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

i definately dont think the games graphics are inferior to others. Im really impressed by them.
Posted: Sat, 15th May 2004, 11:13am

Post 91 of 116

Kid

Force: 4177 | Joined: 1st Apr 2001 | Posts: 1876

EffectsLab Lite User VideoWrap User Windows User

Gold Member

Brettsta wrote:

i definately dont think the games graphics are inferior to others. Im really impressed by them.
Hehe now that is a prime example of blinkers. PC game graphics are far advanced of any console game graphics simply because the console has a limit to its power, not to mention the lower framerate and res of the screen.
Posted: Sat, 15th May 2004, 12:39pm

Post 92 of 116

DigiSm89

Force: 815 | Joined: 2nd Jun 2002 | Posts: 1898

Windows User

Member

Also, besides the graphics, PC games are generally better for the fact that they are using Pre-existing technology that has been proven and tested for years (computers). For that reason, we have technologies like the Internet, where online multiplayer games far surpass the silly XBOX live service. PCs open up a whole world to cyber communication for games.

EDIT: BTW Kid, what in blazes is "Blinkers"? Is that when people just look at something just for its overall "coolness" and disregard the actual specs?
Posted: Sat, 15th May 2004, 12:49pm

Post 93 of 116

TAP2

Force: 1128 | Joined: 8th Jan 2003 | Posts: 1848

Windows User

Member

Exactly, I find Single Player games boring. I allways play Multiplayer, and I've heard that console internet functions are useless.

If you think those pictures of Halo 2 are amazing you obviously aren't experiencing the latest games at their full potential. Next time I play Unreal Tournament 2004 I'll take a screenshot.

Also, when you guys reply can you say who you're replying to. I don't know if some of you are aruging me or aaron 99.

Cheers,
Posted: Sat, 15th May 2004, 12:50pm

Post 94 of 116

DigiSm89

Force: 815 | Joined: 2nd Jun 2002 | Posts: 1898

Windows User

Member

Oh, why would anyone ever argue you TAP2? eek
Posted: Sat, 15th May 2004, 1:18pm

Post 95 of 116

Kid

Force: 4177 | Joined: 1st Apr 2001 | Posts: 1876

EffectsLab Lite User VideoWrap User Windows User

Gold Member

DigiSm89 wrote:

EDIT: BTW Kid, what in blazes is "Blinkers"? Is that when people just look at something just for its overall "coolness" and disregard the actual specs?
Blinkers are something they put on horses when they race so they can only see straight ahead and not get distracted by other things around them. To say someone is blinkered implies that they have one point they are trying to prove no matter what other evidence is about.
Posted: Sat, 15th May 2004, 1:21pm

Post 96 of 116

DigiSm89

Force: 815 | Joined: 2nd Jun 2002 | Posts: 1898

Windows User

Member

Ah, gotcha.
Posted: Sat, 15th May 2004, 1:30pm

Post 97 of 116

aaron 99

Force: 369 | Joined: 13th Mar 2003 | Posts: 189

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User

Gold Member

Kid wrote:

You are trying to be clever by saying the exact opposite of everything hoping this will suddenly trick us into thinking you are right.
What do you people want from me!?! I say its the truth and you say I'm wrong, a say its a lie and you say I'm wrong.



Kid wrote:


It is also safe to say that it is not the best game ever. If not for the reasons above then for the fact that it is outsold by much more popular games even on consoles such as the sims or grand theft auto.
I don't know if you mean halo or halo 2 cuz


http://www.mgforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22029

Thats an old article, so its really bigger then that
Posted: Sat, 15th May 2004, 1:37pm

Post 98 of 116

Kid

Force: 4177 | Joined: 1st Apr 2001 | Posts: 1876

EffectsLab Lite User VideoWrap User Windows User

Gold Member

That says that Halo sold 4 million copies ever, not before release. GTA3 sold over 7million copies ever, Vice city sold 5 million before release alone and The sims have sold more than 13 million copies. So you can see that Halo may be big on xbox but overall it is small fry.
Posted: Sat, 15th May 2004, 1:42pm

Post 99 of 116

TAP2

Force: 1128 | Joined: 8th Jan 2003 | Posts: 1848

Windows User

Member

You tell 'em Kid biggrin

I'm so pleased that GTA San Francisco is coming out for PS2 first though. I was pissed off, because I own a PS2, when rumours were going round that it was out for XBOX first.
Posted: Sat, 15th May 2004, 1:44pm

Post 100 of 116

aaron 99

Force: 369 | Joined: 13th Mar 2003 | Posts: 189

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User

Gold Member

TAP2 wrote:


I'm so pleased that GTA San Francisco is coming out for PS2.
San Francisco lol
Posted: Sat, 15th May 2004, 2:00pm

Post 101 of 116

aaron 99

Force: 369 | Joined: 13th Mar 2003 | Posts: 189

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User

Gold Member

http://features.teamxbox.com/xbox/805/TeamXbox-Best-of-E3-Awards/p1

Page 1:
Best of show and best xbox live

page 4:
best FPS
cool

PS: Topic has reached 100 post. largest topic I ever made
Posted: Sat, 15th May 2004, 2:16pm

Post 102 of 116

aaron 99

Force: 369 | Joined: 13th Mar 2003 | Posts: 189

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User

Gold Member

Back on topic:


Halo 2 - Frequently Asked Questions.

Q. When will Halo 2 be released
November 9th Any other date that you hear at the moment is incorrect.

Q. Will there be a Public Beta Test for Halo 2
Unfortunately no. Halo 2 will undergo rigorous internal testing but it will not be available to the public. Anyone who claims to have a beta copy or demo of Halo 2 is pulling your leg.

Q. Will Halo 2 support online play via Xbox Live
Yes. 32 players
Q. What about flying vehicles in Multiplayer
You bet. All vehicles in Campaign mode will be available in Multiplayer mode.
Q. What are these Halo 2 updates I’ve been hearing about.
Frankie, a new Bungie employee, is now issuing weekly updates, every Friday night, concerning what’s going on in the Bungie Studios. [See ‘Links and URL’ section for the URL]

Q. Will there be bots in Halo 2.
So far, Bungie have failed to mention Bots. They are considering the idea, but if they can’t get the coding and AI right, then they will be left out of the game. Keep an eye on the Updates to see if Frankie lets us know any information.

~ The Storyline.
Halo 2 will pick up where Halo: First Strike left off. The Covenant have found their way to Earth and are momentarily destroying it. The returning characters are Master Chief, Cortana and Sergeant Johnson. There is a possibility of 343 Guilty Spark returning as well. Everyone else will be new.

~ The Weapons.
:: The Humans
Battle Rifle - One half of the evolution of the Assault Rifle. Behaves very much like the Pistol from Halo 1, only it has been described as being, ‘More flexible.’ It holds a 2x zoom, and the headshot kills apply here. Un-shielded enemies will die with one shot to the head.
SMG - The other half of the evolution of the Assault Rifle. This gun is very similar to the Assault Rifle. [Obviously, being a Sub-Machine Gun] It has a very fast rate of rife, but with that comes it’s disadvantage. It has an extremely poor accuracy at long distance targets. On a plus side, this gun can be Duel Wielded to give it that extra punch. Whether it be duel wielded with another SMG or a Plasma Pistol, the choice is up to the player. Restrictions are that only one handed weapons can be Duel Wielded. This means no double Rocket Launchers.

:: The Covenant.
As of now, we only know one new Covenant weapon, dubbed the ‘X03 Gun.’ [Note; this is because the gun was first shown at a conference named X03]. We know very little about it, only that it has a zoom feature. 2 possibilities can come of the gun. 1, it becomes the Covenant Sniper Rifle or 2, it becomes the Covenant Battle Rifle. Stay tuned to the Friday Updates to find out more.

The list of known weapons in Halo 2 are as follows:
Battle Rifle
Sub Machine Gun
Rocket Launcher
Needler
Plasma Pistol
Plasma Rifle
Sniper Rifle

~ The Enemies.
Brute - New enemy named the ‘Brute’ will be in Halo 2. From reading Halo: First Strike we learn the Brutes are more powerful than Elites. Still, very little is known about them.
The Prophets - The Prophets will also be a new enemy in the game. They will serve as religious and spiritual leaders in the Covenant. Again, very little is known about them.
The Engineers - Mentioned in the books and originally supposed to be included in Halo: Combat Evolved, there may be a slight chance of them popping up in Halo 2. Nothing has been confirmed though.

All enemies from Halo: Combat Evolved will be returning, including the Flood. If the Flood returns then there is also a high possibility of the Sentinels returning.
A new Covenant soldier has been announced in one of the Friday Updates. Nothing is known about it at this time, only that “It’s alien and you know it’s bad.”

~ The Environments.
So far, we know of a few places Master Chief will be visiting in Halo 2. These include:
Another Halo [possibly more than one Halo]
Earth
A low gravity environment [A Moon base]
[Possibly] The Covenant Home world
Ancient Forerunner facilities

~ The Vehicles.
:: Human.
ATV - Described as ‘The humans answer to the Ghost.’ The ATV is a single manned machine, faster than the Warthog. Handling problems could be a feature here though. The downside is that there are no weapons on board, but the driver has the ability to lean his gun on the windshield and shoot. It may not be a lot of protection, but it helps a bit. The ATV may even replace the Ghost as the ‘escape with the flag’ vehicle.
Warthog - Original ‘Hog will be returning as well as one with a Gauss rifle [Seen in the E3 2003 Halo 2 Demo]. There are three other types of Warthog –The Snow, Jungle and Troop transport- but so far they have not been confirmed by Bungie. We can suspect they will be included though.
Scorpion Tank - Bungie have promised to use this vehicle more often in Halo 2. During Campaign mode, a player was only allowed to use it once. It may be even more helpful now that the AI can drive.

:: Covenant
The Ghost - Primarily, the Ghost will remain untouched. The few exceptions are that the Control Panel now lights up, the noise of the engine has been changed, the Plasma Cannons on the front have also been updated a little and small particles of dust now kick up from underneath the Ghost.
Banshee - The Banshee is, like the Ghost, remaining intact. The engine noise is being changed and a few details will be added to make it look a little different from the Banshee in Halo: Combat Evolved.
The Creep - A new covenant transport vehicle. AI controlled, which means it can be destroyed. The vehicle can be seen many times in the Halo 2 Demo.
The Phantom - The new Covenant drop ship, also AI controlled. This can be seen in the Halo 2 Demo.
The Shadow - The Covenants answer to the Warthog with the ability to hold four players. One driver, two on the side and one gunner at the top. Shade Stationary turret sits on top of the Shadow.

The fate of the Covenant Mortar tank is still unknown. So for it has not been mentioned, but it may still be included.
~ Miscellaneous
:: Drop ships are now AI controlled. Can also be shot down.
:: Possibility of Halo 2 Announcement trailer being apart of Halo2 [OXM 2003]
:: Confirmed; Left trigger fires left gun, right trigger fires right gun. [Jamie Griesemer OXM 2003]
:: Enemies now communicate with each other, call in search parties and even deploy troops to a certain locations depending on your actions.
:: More weapons in Halo 2 designed to take out tanks. IE, possibly an Anti-Tank/Vehicle missile.
:: Banshees’ sound and look have been upgraded. Handling and weaponry still remain the same.
:: Human stationary turrets now available in Halo 2. Shades will be returning.
:: Completely new AI system in Halo 2. Much smarter than Halos’.
:: Enemies on Halo 2 will now be able to follow you anywhere you go. Not just restricted to the one area as they were in Halo: Combat Evolved.
:: It’s now possible to enter the cockpit of the pelican and see the pilots, although it’s not possible to drive it. In Halo, the doors to the cockpit were always locked.
:: The flamethrower will only be included in Halo 2 if Bungie can make it extremely realistic. Example, setting trees, grass and enemies on fire. Then have the fire spread to other areas.
:: Possibility of visiting the Covenant Home world [Atomic Magazine 2003]
:: Bungie have hinted at the fact there may a slight ‘bump’ in the alliance between he Elites and the Prophets. Is it possible for this to be more than just a ‘bump’ ? The theory of the Covenant breaking apart now looks more like a fact.

~ The Links and URLs

:: The Websites
HBO;http://halo.bungie.org
Bungie; http://bungie.net
Halo Official Website; http://halo.bungie.net
Bungie Web cam; http://www.bungie.com/inside/webcam.html
The Halo 2 FAQ; http://tinyurl.com/62fr
Frankie’s’ Weekly Update; http://halosn.bungie.org/halo2updates/allupdates.html
Halo 2 Concept Art; http://halo.bungie.net/site/halo/features/concept_art10.html
Halo 2 Renders; http://halo.bungie.net/site/halo/features/gallery_07.html

:: The Videos
Halo 2 Announcement Trailer; http://halo.bungie.org/misc/halo2trailermirrors.html
Halo 2 E3 2003 Demo; http://halo.bungie.org/misc/e32003trailermirrors.html
Inside Halo 2; http://halo.bungie.org/misc/makingofhalo2mirrors.html
The Bungie Factor; http://halosn.bungie.org/misc/bungiefactormirrors.htm
Posted: Sat, 15th May 2004, 2:17pm

Post 103 of 116

MechaForce

Force: 4654 | Joined: 3rd Aug 2001 | Posts: 1934

FXhome Movie Maker Windows User MacOS User

SuperUser

Listen: If you're bad at controlling FPS games with a gamepad, it doesn't give the game a bad control scheme.

Oh, and you're wrong.


I've played UT2k4, Far Cry, yadayadayada, all amazing games, but I still think that Halo is a great game too. How do you explain this? (Rhetorical question - - you're already wrong.)

PS: Your opinions are invalid.

PPS: Stop arguing about graphics. That was settled years ago.
Posted: Sat, 15th May 2004, 2:29pm

Post 104 of 116

Joshua Davies

Force: 25400 | Joined: 21st Mar 2001 | Posts: 3029

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 5 Pro User MuzzlePlug User PowerPlug User PhotoKey 3 Plug-in User FXpreset Maker Windows User MacOS User

FXhome Team Member

Aaron 99 - you are aware that the post you gave is the views of an Xbox website so it only includes Xbox titles - heh. It wasn't voted the best game of E3, just the best Xbox game of E3 by teamXbox.com - hardly amazing.
Posted: Sat, 15th May 2004, 2:51pm

Post 105 of 116

Brettsta

Force: 3385 | Joined: 15th Nov 2003 | Posts: 2114

VisionLab User FXpreset Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

idk if anyone said something, but a new gta is coming out. Itll be with gangstas rather than the mafia i think this time.
Posted: Sat, 15th May 2004, 3:18pm

Post 106 of 116

DigiSm89

Force: 815 | Joined: 2nd Jun 2002 | Posts: 1898

Windows User

Member

MechaForce wrote:

Listen: If you're bad at controlling FPS games with a gamepad, it doesn't give the game a bad control scheme.
I play Halo PC with keyboard and mouse and I'm fine. (Although, compared to the real experts online, I'm nothing but a grain of rice). It's not that hard to get used to keyboard and mouse. I personally like using both because you have more freedom on your character and less finger strain.

Last edited Sat, 15th May 2004, 4:26pm; edited 1 times in total.

Posted: Sat, 15th May 2004, 4:25pm

Post 107 of 116

Xcession

Force: 42802 | Joined: 21st Mar 2001 | Posts: 1964

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 3 Pro User Windows User

SuperUser

My issue with FPS games on consoles, is that i'm yet to use a console controller that doesn't rely on you using all the wrong fingers for doing all the wrong things. This frustrates me immensely. In my experience, console FPS games are massively dumbed-down, in terms of interactivity, because with such minimal control over your environment, its futile to tax the user's dexterity with such a clumsy control medium.

I can't be the first to think of this, so i'm in no doubt i haven't considered a critical factor here...but why do controller designs always required us to do such precice movements with our thumbs?

Ever noticed how our fingers articulate at 3 points on the hand, yet the thumb only articulates on 2? This isn't coincidence. From an evolutionary stand-point, the thumb was designed go give a vice-like grip on any objects we manipulate. Its 'point' was not precicion, it was power - so why are we forever using controllers that requires our thumbs to do all the precice work in place of a mouse? Even track-ball mice are better.

Until such a controller exists, i don't think i'll ever enjoy FPS games on consoles to the same degree, if at all, like a PC.

If i'm in a First Person perspective...i demand a First Person amount of control.
Posted: Sat, 15th May 2004, 4:42pm

Post 108 of 116

Mellifluous

Force: 5604 | Joined: 6th Oct 2002 | Posts: 3782

EffectsLab Pro User Windows User

Gold Member

I find FPS on consoles fine, personally. Except Unreal Tournament, which is just configured bizarrely.

I've got nothing against consoles, either. I own a PS2, which is fine & does what you expect. As others have pointed out a great game depends on its playability, not on its graphics. Console graphics are not as good as pc though, because you're playing it through a tv, for god's sake. It doesn't really matter though, does it?
Posted: Sat, 15th May 2004, 5:08pm

Post 109 of 116

Xcession

Force: 42802 | Joined: 21st Mar 2001 | Posts: 1964

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 3 Pro User Windows User

SuperUser

Players of the original Elite - conceivably the most popular game of all time - would undoubtedly say "no, graphics aren't important"...but thats because Elite had heroine-like gameplay.

I used to be a huge fan of counter-strike, another notoriously popular game, yet with only average graphics - using an engine from 1998 ffs! Yet again, proof that gameplay triumphs over graphics.


FPS games, however, especially single-play ones, are so focused on the user's experience, that after a while there comes a point where people requires a visual experience to balance the gameplay one.

I used to be a massive pro-gameplay person, but recently i've become more graphics focussed. After about 14 years of playing every FPS known to mankind, it takes a truely remarkable FPS to float my boat, so now i'm looking more at graphics. At the worst extreme, its kinda hard to get into a game, regardless how amazing the gameplay, when you've gotta shoot a 'person' who is actually just two boxes. Stupid example, but kinda illustrates my point.

If you're gonna play a game which proports to being a first person experience of some person's life, unless the the experience is that of a blind person; i'd imagine first-hand quality of scenary to be a prerequisit.
Posted: Sat, 15th May 2004, 5:20pm

Post 110 of 116

TAP2

Force: 1128 | Joined: 8th Jan 2003 | Posts: 1848

Windows User

Member

Mecha, I'd happily kick your ass anyday at a control-pad based game. A Mouse and a keyboard is better FULL STOP. In the case of flight simulators and racing games maybe not, be certainly with FPS games.

Halo 2 is a good game, I never said it wasn't. I just said that PC Games are better.
Posted: Sat, 15th May 2004, 5:58pm

Post 111 of 116

er-no

Force: 9531 | Joined: 24th Sep 2002 | Posts: 3964

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 2 Pro User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User MacOS User

SuperUser

TAP2 wrote:


Halo 2 is a good game, I never said it wasn't. I just said that PC Games are better.
None of us have played it, you can't judge that its a good game. I don't think it'll be all that great, but I'll let you know when I get it smile
Posted: Sat, 15th May 2004, 7:16pm

Post 112 of 116

MechaForce

Force: 4654 | Joined: 3rd Aug 2001 | Posts: 1934

FXhome Movie Maker Windows User MacOS User

SuperUser

This is what I'm trying to get at: Halo isn't a bad game.
Posted: Sat, 15th May 2004, 9:46pm

Post 113 of 116

aaron 99

Force: 369 | Joined: 13th Mar 2003 | Posts: 189

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User

Gold Member

Still trying to get back on topic:


So...

I think the plot for halo2 will be better because your not just fighting for your own survival, but the survival of humans. This will be more incentive knowing that you are fighting for your future family. When you read the books you really see how bad the humans are loosing and this is their last stand


And yes I will continue talking to myself if I have to, just get back on topic
Posted: Sat, 15th May 2004, 9:50pm

Post 114 of 116

DigiSm89

Force: 815 | Joined: 2nd Jun 2002 | Posts: 1898

Windows User

Member

aaron 99 wrote:

And yes I will continue talking to myself if I have to, just get back on topic
If no one cares, then you'll be the one off topic. tard
Posted: Sat, 15th May 2004, 9:52pm

Post 115 of 116

aaron 99

Force: 369 | Joined: 13th Mar 2003 | Posts: 189

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User

Gold Member

DigiSm89 wrote:


If no one cares, then you'll be the one off topic. tard
No, because this topic is about halo2, if you want to talk about something different go to another topic
Posted: Sat, 15th May 2004, 9:56pm

Post 116 of 116

Joshua Davies

Force: 25400 | Joined: 21st Mar 2001 | Posts: 3029

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 5 Pro User MuzzlePlug User PowerPlug User PhotoKey 3 Plug-in User FXpreset Maker Windows User MacOS User

FXhome Team Member

I think this topic has got about as silly as possible...