You are viewing an archive of the old fxhome.com forums. The community has since moved to hitfilm.com.

William Hung is a Moron

Posted: Thu, 13th May 2004, 4:34pm

Post 1 of 77

jaycoolyea

Force: 703 | Joined: 2nd Dec 2003 | Posts: 138

EffectsLab Lite User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

The most popular singer in America right now is an untalented cookie cutter pop star with legions of fans. "But James, what's so weird about that?" Well, not only is he untalented but everyone AGREES that he is untalented. Yes, this is William Hung, a guy whose 15 minutes are just about up. He rose to fame on American Idol by people laughing at his terrible rendition of She Bangs. He was so bad that he became famous and actually got a record deal. This is just.....sick. The fact that some genuinely talented musician is out there somewhere working on the next Kid A while William Hung stays in his undeserved bubble which is about to burst. Who is at fault here? Both parties, definitely, I say. The record companies and the music listening public are both morons because they are exploiting some guy who genuinely has no talent whatsoever and should go to college or something and find something he's good at. William Hung is a moron for actually relishing this as if he really will have a musical career. It's sad sad sad.
Posted: Thu, 13th May 2004, 5:04pm

Post 2 of 77

owen rixon

Force: 1155 | Joined: 30th Jun 2002 | Posts: 499

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User FXhome Movie Maker

Gold Member

talented musician.......kid A........i think not.
Posted: Thu, 13th May 2004, 5:09pm

Post 3 of 77

jaycoolyea

Force: 703 | Joined: 2nd Dec 2003 | Posts: 138

EffectsLab Lite User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

thats just my opinion, but thats not the point.
Posted: Thu, 13th May 2004, 6:12pm

Post 4 of 77

Aculag

Force: 8365 | Joined: 21st Jun 2002 | Posts: 8581

EffectsLab Lite User VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

owen rixon wrote:

talented musician.......kid A........i think not.
I'm not sure how you can even compare William Hung to Radiohead... Hmm...

Last edited Thu, 13th May 2004, 8:08pm; edited 1 times in total.

Posted: Thu, 13th May 2004, 7:40pm

Post 5 of 77

monkey

Force: 230 | Joined: 18th Jun 2002 | Posts: 62

Gold Member

Hung's a clown - it's funny to watch sometimes.
Posted: Thu, 13th May 2004, 7:45pm

Post 6 of 77

no_hole

Force: 278 | Joined: 14th Oct 2002 | Posts: 197

Gold Member

He entertains people and if i'm not mistaken thats what musicians do
Posted: Thu, 13th May 2004, 8:58pm

Post 7 of 77

4036Douglas

Force: 920 | Joined: 8th Jun 2003 | Posts: 893

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User

Gold Member

I think he already went to college.. He's some engineer person if im not mistaken.
Posted: Thu, 13th May 2004, 9:02pm

Post 8 of 77

Brettsta

Force: 3385 | Joined: 15th Nov 2003 | Posts: 2114

VisionLab User FXpreset Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

4036Douglas wrote:

I think he already went to college.. He's some engineer person if im not mistaken.
hes attending i think
Posted: Thu, 13th May 2004, 9:05pm

Post 9 of 77

aenigma

Force: 480 | Joined: 5th May 2004 | Posts: 416

EffectsLab Lite User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

jaycoolyea wrote:

The most popular singer in America right now...
Is that, most popular singer compared to the rest of the poor excuses for musicians that they roll out of that crap factory called American Idol? Personally I’d never heard of him until I read this thread so I guess you just added to his 15 minutes. Maybe he can hire you to promote him on the Internet and his bright shining star will go on forever… wink
Posted: Thu, 13th May 2004, 9:05pm

Post 10 of 77

BackOfTheHearse

Force: 2660 | Joined: 17th Nov 2001 | Posts: 1099

EffectsLab Pro User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Actually, what he's done doesn't make him a moron. It makes him a genius. He's learned (with the help of outside sources of course) to exploit the public. And that's what ALL people and products do in order to gain profit. The guy is rolling in cash now, which I feel does not render him a moron.
Posted: Thu, 13th May 2004, 9:19pm

Post 11 of 77

Brettsta

Force: 3385 | Joined: 15th Nov 2003 | Posts: 2114

VisionLab User FXpreset Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

nitroviper007 wrote:

Actually, what he's done doesn't make him a moron. It makes him a genius. He's learned (with the help of outside sources of course) to exploit the public. And that's what ALL people and products do in order to gain profit. The guy is rolling in cash now, which I feel does not render him a moron.
yeah, hes obviously doing something right!
Posted: Thu, 13th May 2004, 10:08pm

Post 12 of 77

jaycoolyea

Force: 703 | Joined: 2nd Dec 2003 | Posts: 138

EffectsLab Lite User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

William is only a small part of the problem. He would not even matter if the american public didn't love him. Now we are going to be constantly polluted with william hung shit for years to come. Hopefully people wake up and see that he is only a simple asian man with no musical talent, whatsoever.
Posted: Thu, 13th May 2004, 10:17pm

Post 13 of 77

BackOfTheHearse

Force: 2660 | Joined: 17th Nov 2001 | Posts: 1099

EffectsLab Pro User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

jaycoolyea wrote:

Hopefully people wake up and see that he is only a simple asian man with no musical talent, whatsoever.
Yea, but Eminem is a simple white man with no musical talent (well, just about no talent in any form, except the art of pissing people off) and people love that guy for some reason too.
Posted: Thu, 13th May 2004, 10:18pm

Post 14 of 77

jaycoolyea

Force: 703 | Joined: 2nd Dec 2003 | Posts: 138

EffectsLab Lite User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

I also happen to despise eminem.
Posted: Thu, 13th May 2004, 10:24pm

Post 15 of 77

Brettsta

Force: 3385 | Joined: 15th Nov 2003 | Posts: 2114

VisionLab User FXpreset Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

eminems a great rapper, and has talent. He wouldnt be where he is today if he didnt.
Posted: Thu, 13th May 2004, 10:28pm

Post 16 of 77

jaycoolyea

Force: 703 | Joined: 2nd Dec 2003 | Posts: 138

EffectsLab Lite User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

dear god! what are you talking about? eminem has no talent, whatsoever. no, wait, he has developed the ability to have basic human conversations. he just talks/ yells, and has others write his lines for him. the only thing he has going for him is that he is 'controversial.' when i first heard his "my band" song, i laughed out loud at how terrible it was. i thought it was a parody. i thought to myself, people could not possibly like this mainstream sludge.

but sure enough.... it was topping charts around the nation, and is wasting precious airtime that could be used to play actual MUSIC.

anyone who likes eminem has absolutely terrible taste. no exceptions.
Posted: Thu, 13th May 2004, 10:31pm

Post 17 of 77

Mellifluous

Force: 5604 | Joined: 6th Oct 2002 | Posts: 3782

EffectsLab Pro User Windows User

Gold Member

I hate eminem as a person, but I can't help admitting that with some songs he does have talent, be it fleeting. Without Me is an example.
Posted: Thu, 13th May 2004, 10:35pm

Post 18 of 77

Aculag

Force: 8365 | Joined: 21st Jun 2002 | Posts: 8581

EffectsLab Lite User VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

Perhaps anyone who ONLY likes eminem has terrible taste, since they only like that one thing. I listen to eminem once in a while, and can sit through it for at least 15 minutes without deciding to change to something else, so does that mean that I have bad taste? No. You are sounding ignorant.
Posted: Thu, 13th May 2004, 10:37pm

Post 19 of 77

wpl

Force: 1782 | Joined: 17th Jul 2002 | Posts: 1389

Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

just in case you guys havn't seen this http://www.williamhung.net/
I found this when I saw a pop-up add with mr. hung on it. for some reason I clicked it crazy anyways look at the section called "mary me william" heh
Posted: Thu, 13th May 2004, 11:12pm

Post 20 of 77

Gibs

Force: 1663 | Joined: 21st May 2002 | Posts: 1611

CompositeLab Pro User FXhome Movie Maker FXpreset Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

You know Jay, it's ironic, but I do agree with you. I can't believe people actually follow shows like American Idol and care about them, but I guess that shows you what America is like. And I can't stand Eminem either, I think he's a horrible person, but I can understand how some people may like his music. Well, kinda. confused
Posted: Thu, 13th May 2004, 11:25pm

Post 21 of 77

Bryce007

Force: 1910 | Joined: 5th Apr 2003 | Posts: 2609

VideoWrap User Windows User

Gold Member

The other day i heard three songs that are considered classic.

"Hotel california", "i believe i can fly" and "circle of life". I then, realized, wait...this sounds stunningly bad. So bad, i was almost crying i was laughing so hard at the mispronouncations and poor english accent. Needless to say, william hung is funny for about 5 minutes under these conditions, so i promptly deleted the mp3 files. This guy is a paradox. Somehow, he is a completely jackass that doesnt know the jokes on him, yet he still remains a genius at exploiting his short living and self depreciating fame. Also, eminem is incredibly intelligent and skilled, but he still doesnt have have i consider talent. (taking what you have and making good use of it)
Posted: Thu, 13th May 2004, 11:41pm

Post 22 of 77

wpl

Force: 1782 | Joined: 17th Jul 2002 | Posts: 1389

Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

just in case you don't know how bad he sings listen to a little bit of hotel california on this site.
http://www.mainstreetmusic.com/cgi-bin/msmusic/LA0001115707.html

it just makes me feel like doing this
Posted: Thu, 13th May 2004, 11:59pm

Post 23 of 77

Pooky

Force: 4834 | Joined: 8th Jul 2003 | Posts: 5913

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User MacOS User FXhome Movie Maker

Gold Member

Or here if you're not in the US

http://www.towerrecords.com/product.aspx?pfid=2979084

But it really is hilariously terrible.
Posted: Fri, 14th May 2004, 12:27am

Post 24 of 77

aenigma

Force: 480 | Joined: 5th May 2004 | Posts: 416

EffectsLab Lite User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Thanks for the warning WPL I just added that domain to my ban list in my hosts file.

And unfortunately Eminem is rather talented as far as rap goes. If you ever watched the bonus material from 8 mile you would know that he can freestyle like no other. Not that I’m a big Eminem fan or anything. One thing is for sure though William Hung will never see one cent from me even if half of America chooses to suck down his bile. If that’s what they want then let them have it.
Posted: Fri, 14th May 2004, 12:31am

Post 25 of 77

Brettsta

Force: 3385 | Joined: 15th Nov 2003 | Posts: 2114

VisionLab User FXpreset Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

u like to bash everyone who has differetnt taste then u, dont you jaycoolyea. Accept the fact,I think eminem is talented and he werites his own stuff.
Posted: Fri, 14th May 2004, 2:40am

Post 26 of 77

jaycoolyea

Force: 703 | Joined: 2nd Dec 2003 | Posts: 138

EffectsLab Lite User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

i am not alone in disliking eminem, if you havent noticed. (psst... see above posts)
Posted: Fri, 14th May 2004, 2:54am

Post 27 of 77

Magic_man12

Force: 853 | Joined: 20th Mar 2002 | Posts: 1350

Windows User MacOS User

Member

someone sounds jealous... hahaha

-MAGIC
Posted: Fri, 14th May 2004, 3:21am

Post 28 of 77

jaycoolyea

Force: 703 | Joined: 2nd Dec 2003 | Posts: 138

EffectsLab Lite User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

Brettsta wrote:

eminems a great rapper, and has talent. He wouldnt be where he is today if he didnt.
people could say the same thing about william hung. the american public as a whole has terrible taste, promoted by mtv and mainstream radio morons. people like eminem, members of blink 182, 50 cent, and most other music related celebrities are where they are today from their appearance, and their apparent 'stardom.'

people feel they have an obligation to like them, because it seems everyone else does. the media has control of people's opinions. thats not the way it should be, but thats the way it is.
Posted: Fri, 14th May 2004, 3:28am

Post 29 of 77

joylessdissolution

Force: 0 | Joined: 21st Apr 2003 | Posts: 23

Gold Member

Let me start by saying, I dont like William Hung. I have never found him amusing, and I dont like the fact that so many people like him. That being said, this entire topic is going to get us nowhere. Arguing over whether or not a certain artist, or band, is "good" is a completely fruitless endevour. There is no difference between "good" and "bad," it is 100% a matter of opinion. The only rational that exists to judge such things are your own feelings, or what the masses(culture) have to say. Basically, all we are doing here is having a childish argument over something that cannot be resolved. If someone enjoys William Hung, then let them. Even if you do think they are a product of the mass media, and someone who has no thoughts of their own. So there is nothing wrong with a post saying saying that William Hung, or Eminem, or whoever, sucks. Arguing over the truth of this statement, however, is a waste of everyones time. biggrin
Posted: Fri, 14th May 2004, 4:57am

Post 30 of 77

Waser

Force: 4731 | Joined: 7th Sep 2003 | Posts: 3111

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 2 Pro User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

SuperUser

eminem was alright in the beginning, but he is a joke that got old.
by the way I don't get it, no one like Hung now anyway
Posted: Fri, 14th May 2004, 1:48pm

Post 31 of 77

BackOfTheHearse

Force: 2660 | Joined: 17th Nov 2001 | Posts: 1099

EffectsLab Pro User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

I don't know that anyone actually likes William Hung. They don't need to. They just need to feel bad for him being kicked off a stupid reality show, or hear about him on one of the 90 bajillion talk shows he's appeared on.. and WHAM! They go out and buy an album. Not because they like him. Just because they are curious as to the fact that other people seem to like him.
Posted: Fri, 14th May 2004, 2:11pm

Post 32 of 77

jaycoolyea

Force: 703 | Joined: 2nd Dec 2003 | Posts: 138

EffectsLab Lite User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

http://www.williamhung.net/marry.cfm

from the william hung fan site:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Meet William Hung. A student at UC Berkeley, William studies Civil Engineering, but his dream is to make music his career. William has true talent, and has captured the hearts of Americans across the country who watched him sing and dance his heart out on Tuesday, January 27. Since his TV debut, William has gathered a large fan base. Nobody ceases to be amused by his comical dance moves and earnest rendition of "She Bangs". Because we respect William's true talent and comical ability, we have decided to create this fan club dedicated to William himself.

Already, William has accumulated a few nicknames from us.
We affectionately refer to him as:
*William-Hung
*Leader Hung
*Hung Himself
*The Hung
*Hong Kong Ricky Martin
WILLIAM HUNG FOREVER

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

please tell me again that people don't like him?
Posted: Fri, 14th May 2004, 11:09pm

Post 33 of 77

stqagehanduk

Force: 460 | Joined: 3rd Jun 2002 | Posts: 438

Gold Member

The problem with not liking things is that sometimes you just don't like them because you feel you shouldn't.

I'll use the Spice Girls and myself as an example. I used to mock them relentlessly until I had a Damascan moment and realised that, yes, I actually liked many of their songs. I don't know this William Hung at all but my guess is that he's probably a capable enough singer and, unluckily for him, an easy target.

Be uncool. Like everything. I forget who said that, but it's good advice.
Posted: Fri, 14th May 2004, 11:20pm

Post 34 of 77

pboniface

Force: 2335 | Joined: 3rd Sep 2003 | Posts: 366

VisionLab User Windows User

Gold Member

Absolutely... I am an "ex" goth who spent my youth listening to Sisters Of Mercy, Bauhaus, Dead Kennedys, New Model army etc.... My sister grew up listening to mid 80's hair rock...which I despised with every bone in my body..

now, 20 years later I am standy on a f'ing Karaoke stage singin Living on a prayer, final countdown et al... and loving every minute of it... (Admittedly, my Belgian Mistress "Stella" is something to do with it but hey...)

You dont like him, dont buy his stuff, if you do,, so what.. enjoy, lifes to short to bitch about it smile

and anyway, is it just me of does Will Hung sound like a great name for a porn star or what ?
Posted: Fri, 14th May 2004, 11:40pm

Post 35 of 77

jaycoolyea

Force: 703 | Joined: 2nd Dec 2003 | Posts: 138

EffectsLab Lite User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

stqagehanduk, i understand what you;re saying completely. but, no joke, this guy has NO musical talent whatsoever. he is basically a national joke gone bad.

check out some sound and video of him singing from his site, and you'll se what i mean.

http://www.williamhung.net
Posted: Sat, 15th May 2004, 7:20am

Post 36 of 77

stqagehanduk

Force: 460 | Joined: 3rd Jun 2002 | Posts: 438

Gold Member

I've just listened to him doing something unspeakable to "can you feel the love tonight" (of which, admittedly, I wasn't a grewat fan to start with) ...

Hmmm. He's not actually very good, is he? Oh well, live and let live. After all, I own a Rolf Harris album, so who am I to judge?
Posted: Sat, 15th May 2004, 12:34pm

Post 37 of 77

Mantra

Force: 1888 | Joined: 25th Nov 2002 | Posts: 551

EffectsLab Lite User MacOS User

Gold Member

Novelty artists and records will always be around. Record companies will always latch on to someone like this guy to make a quick buck.

I'd argue that these novelty acts don't make such a huge dent to the hopes of aspiring musicians, rather it's the general mass produced bands (the 'good' acts from American /Pop idol, etc.) and music piracy that effects the industry.

Fad artists come and go.
Posted: Sun, 16th May 2004, 6:08pm

Post 38 of 77

jetaimaster

Force: 200 | Joined: 1st Feb 2004 | Posts: 107

EffectsLab Lite User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

so what if he is not good
britney spears can't sing
truthfully, a lot of professional singers aren't too great

sure, he looks like a moron
but he's making more money than you
Posted: Sun, 30th May 2004, 1:57am

Post 39 of 77

gent23mj

Force: 250 | Joined: 21st Apr 2003 | Posts: 224

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User

Gold Member

nitroviper007 wrote:

Actually, what he's done doesn't make him a moron. It makes him a genius. He's learned (with the help of outside sources of course) to exploit the public. And that's what ALL people and products do in order to gain profit. The guy is rolling in cash now, which I feel does not render him a moron.
I agree on the moron part, however, he is still not a musician. Indeed one should do what he loves to the best he can. I could say the same thing about some of the films on this website. The fact that you eager young filmmakers love to make movies is what makes them all the better. So its not cool to drill the kid for TRYING. It seems his ambitious heart has earned him a pretty hefty paycheck. However,I think if you want to be drilling anyone it should be the money hungry record companies, TV show hosts, news anchors, etc... that exploit the poor kid. And dont blame American Idol, they didnt invite him lol.
Posted: Sun, 30th May 2004, 2:03am

Post 40 of 77

gent23mj

Force: 250 | Joined: 21st Apr 2003 | Posts: 224

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User

Gold Member

sorry, i agree that he is NOT a moron
Posted: Sun, 30th May 2004, 6:45pm

Post 41 of 77

Coureur de Bois

Force: 1394 | Joined: 23rd Sep 2002 | Posts: 1127

VideoWrap User Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

You're getting upset over something as trivial as this? Wow settle down Type A, it's really not affecting your life, is it?
Posted: Sun, 30th May 2004, 11:33pm

Post 42 of 77

gpmovies

Force: 274 | Joined: 24th Nov 2002 | Posts: 220

Windows User

Gold Member

practically no one accept jaycoolyea knows what music is. I hate all large labelled music. I am an indie musician signed with a small record label. We're underground music and if u search for it, it's mostly the best stuff around. Don't listen to the media, they are a huge problem in this world. Do some research i'm sure some views will change.

P.S: Eminem has no talent all he is in controversy, and success in the media needs either: sex, voilence, sarscasm comedy or someone being stupid without knowing it. Get away from the TV kids.
Posted: Sun, 30th May 2004, 11:53pm

Post 43 of 77

Kid

Force: 4177 | Joined: 1st Apr 2001 | Posts: 1876

EffectsLab Lite User VideoWrap User Windows User

Gold Member

gpmovies wrote:

practically no one accept jaycoolyea knows what music is. I hate all large labelled music.
Well then you are a chump. Ruling out all label music is as bad as ruling out all underground music. You should take everything as it comes.

However most music is picked up by a label because it is popular and therefore thought of as good by a decent amount of people so although all of it may not be to your taste there are usually more good signed artists than not.

Also signed music tends to be better because the money and equipment and mixing skills are given to artists to make them sound as good as they can. This is why a lot of people sound rubbish 'before they were famous' or live.
Posted: Mon, 31st May 2004, 5:03pm

Post 44 of 77

gent23mj

Force: 250 | Joined: 21st Apr 2003 | Posts: 224

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User

Gold Member

Kid wrote:

gpmovies wrote:

practically no one accept jaycoolyea knows what music is. I hate all large labelled music.
Well then you are a chump. Ruling out all label music is as bad as ruling out all underground music. You should take everything as it comes.

However most music is picked up by a label because it is popular and therefore thought of as good by a decent amount of people so although all of it may not be to your taste there are usually more good signed artists than not.

Also signed music tends to be better because the money and equipment and mixing skills are given to artists to make them sound as good as they can. This is why a lot of people sound rubbish 'before they were famous' or live.
Word!
Posted: Mon, 31st May 2004, 5:06pm

Post 45 of 77

gent23mj

Force: 250 | Joined: 21st Apr 2003 | Posts: 224

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User

Gold Member

gpmovies wrote:

practically no one accept jaycoolyea knows what music is. I hate all large labelled music. I am an indie musician signed with a small record label. We're underground music and if u search for it, it's mostly the best stuff around. Don't listen to the media, they are a huge problem in this world. Do some research i'm sure some views will change.

P.S: Eminem has no talent all he is in controversy, and success in the media needs either: sex, voilence, sarscasm comedy or someone being stupid without knowing it. Get away from the TV kids.
Eminem is a brilliant lyricist...just because you dont like him, dont take away from him. Thats called "hating" in the hip hop culture. You need to remove your bias before making a judgement
Posted: Mon, 31st May 2004, 9:05pm

Post 46 of 77

gpmovies

Force: 274 | Joined: 24th Nov 2002 | Posts: 220

Windows User

Gold Member

Shizzle rizzle tizzle gizzle mafizzle.....give me a contract...
real music doesn't suck and have real words.
Posted: Mon, 31st May 2004, 9:33pm

Post 47 of 77

Magic_man12

Force: 853 | Joined: 20th Mar 2002 | Posts: 1350

Windows User MacOS User

Member

umm... you dont get a contract for shizzle rizzle tizzle gizzle mafizzle......

If you dont like a type of music good for you - dont insult the people who make it

i would bet 100000 dollars that (im assuming your badmouthing eminem as the last comment was about him) that he could compose better music than you - and i dont mean just rap.

Unless your making more money than him you shouldn't talk

-MAGIC
Posted: Tue, 1st Jun 2004, 2:16am

Post 48 of 77

Brettsta

Force: 3385 | Joined: 15th Nov 2003 | Posts: 2114

VisionLab User FXpreset Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

You say these people suck... Theyre making millions of dollars, they must be doing something right!
Posted: Tue, 1st Jun 2004, 2:35am

Post 49 of 77

wdy

Force: 1700 | Joined: 30th Dec 2002 | Posts: 1258

CompositeLab Lite User EffectsLab Lite User MacOS User

Gold Member

William Hung, does not suck. I listened to his CD the other day and he's an amazing singer the only reason it sounds bad to us is because of accent, he's oriental. This guys making big bucks and i'm sure people wouldn't be buying his CD if he sucked.
Posted: Tue, 1st Jun 2004, 2:36am

Post 50 of 77

Aculag

Force: 8365 | Joined: 21st Jun 2002 | Posts: 8581

EffectsLab Lite User VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

wdy wrote:

William Hung, does not suck. I listened to his CD the other day and he's an amazing singer the only reason it sounds bad to us is because of accent, he's oriental. This guys making big bucks and i'm sure people wouldn't be buying his CD if he sucked.
I am positive this is a joke, and a bad one.
Posted: Tue, 1st Jun 2004, 2:39am

Post 51 of 77

wdy

Force: 1700 | Joined: 30th Dec 2002 | Posts: 1258

CompositeLab Lite User EffectsLab Lite User MacOS User

Gold Member

Nope, i can't say im gonna go out a buy the CD and listen to him. But any musician would know he does have talent. His accent is what's make's it sound so funny, he actually hits all the right key notes.
Posted: Tue, 1st Jun 2004, 2:43am

Post 52 of 77

Aculag

Force: 8365 | Joined: 21st Jun 2002 | Posts: 8581

EffectsLab Lite User VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

You sir... are not correct.

Read the rest of this thread, please. Seriously, he can't sing worth a damn. I know a good singer when I hear one, and even if he was singing in his native language, he would still be a terrible singer.

Oh right, you listen to "punk" right? "Punk" singers wouldn't know good singing if it came up and bit them in the ass. And apparently, neither do their listeners...
Posted: Tue, 1st Jun 2004, 2:46am

Post 53 of 77

wdy

Force: 1700 | Joined: 30th Dec 2002 | Posts: 1258

CompositeLab Lite User EffectsLab Lite User MacOS User

Gold Member

Aculag...your a very moody person... any how punk music is great. I just saw my favourite band Blink182 this weekend along with The Used and Taking Back Sunday in Toronto. You tell me they can't sing. They are pretty damn good and put on an amazing show. May I ask to see some of your singing talent? There's nothing wrong with people taste's in music it just so happens you have such a big grudge...now cheer up. razz

I learn alot about music from my friend Mark who is an amazing artist who play's acoustic music like Dashboard Confessional. I open to all kinds of music just so happen's i've got a thing for pop-punk. Mark's an amazing at music should check out some of his talent at www.purevolume.com/markandthegist that's some talent for you.
Posted: Tue, 1st Jun 2004, 2:50am

Post 54 of 77

Aculag

Force: 8365 | Joined: 21st Jun 2002 | Posts: 8581

EffectsLab Lite User VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

I have no grudge, I just know talent when I hear it. And there is no talent in nasaly yelling. I sing in a band, and I'm not going to say I have a good voice, since that's egotistical, but I can sure sing better that any "punk" singer, or this musical phenom, William Hung.
Posted: Tue, 1st Jun 2004, 2:52am

Post 55 of 77

wdy

Force: 1700 | Joined: 30th Dec 2002 | Posts: 1258

CompositeLab Lite User EffectsLab Lite User MacOS User

Gold Member

You have any demo's i'm interested in hearing some of your work. Try re-singing What Went Wrong by Blink-182. Its acoustic.

Can't say there's much yelling it pop-punk music or punk, you must be mistaken and thinking of Hardcore or Screamo.
Posted: Tue, 1st Jun 2004, 2:56am

Post 56 of 77

PhLogan

Force: 490 | Joined: 1st May 2004 | Posts: 290

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User

Gold Member

Im new here and didnt read this whole thread, but here is my opinon:

1) Blink182 is not punk in my opinion (or many other "punk listeners")
2)Aculag is right - most punk singers CANNOT sing.
3)Punk is alot of what I listen too so I can say this.
Posted: Tue, 1st Jun 2004, 3:01am

Post 57 of 77

Marek

Force: 2225 | Joined: 25th Dec 2002 | Posts: 1754

EffectsLab Lite User FXpreset Maker Windows User

Gold Member

wdy wrote:

Can't say there's much yelling it pop-punk music or punk, you must be mistaken and thinking of Hardcore or Screamo.
Or William Hung. smile

I like punk too, but I don't think william hung is anywhere near good. Personally, I think he's a guy that has been pushed by the public to think he is decent at singing, so he made a cd. It's like this kid at my school. He's kinda a little mentally challenged i guess. Anyway, he goes by the name of 'Q-Dogg' and he does freestyle rap. Actually, he raps better than I could, or would ever want to for that matter. Anyway, people make him think he's good enough to get a contract. Most people are just being jerks and trying to make fun of him around their friends but whatever. Anyway, william hung sucks at singing biggrin

And as PhLogan said, Blink is not punk. They used to be good and more punk-ish, but after Enima, it all went downhill. Dammit is by far their best song, and that's a pretty old song for them.

Sugarcult rocks baby! razz
Posted: Tue, 1st Jun 2004, 3:02am

Post 58 of 77

Brettsta

Force: 3385 | Joined: 15th Nov 2003 | Posts: 2114

VisionLab User FXpreset Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

I hate when people say bands like Good Charlotte and Blink 182 are "sellouts." They have been playing the same music, only now that a lot of people know and like it, that somehow makes it sound bad to them? Anyways, some punk/emo singers do have good voices, and some dont. I wouldnt say most punk singers cant sing, because thats a sterotype I guess.
Posted: Tue, 1st Jun 2004, 3:06am

Post 59 of 77

Marek

Force: 2225 | Joined: 25th Dec 2002 | Posts: 1754

EffectsLab Lite User FXpreset Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Brettsta, have you not heard Blink's new CD? That's definately a sign of selling out. They just emulated the popular music of the time and mixed it with a little bit of their own style. That's kinda partially selling out. smile And as for Good Charolette, they havn't changed. I used to like them, but now I don't really. I mean, they have a ton of good songs, but I really don't like them. Partially because of all the reject goths (yeah I know, it doesn't make sense to me either) wear Good Charolette shirts.
Posted: Tue, 1st Jun 2004, 3:57am

Post 60 of 77

Waser

Force: 4731 | Joined: 7th Sep 2003 | Posts: 3111

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 2 Pro User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

SuperUser

seriously, I hate the whole idea that something is automatically bad if they (or whoever) "sell out". If the music is good to you, buy it. If you don't like it, insult other people's tastes.

Personally I love it when a band I like make it big or make a come back. Take The Cure for example. I have liked The Cure for a while, and back about two years ago some jerks made fun of me for wearing it, but with the huge 80s comeback that came about a year later (or maybe even sooner) soon everyone loves the cure, and everything 80s (stuff I was made fun of for liking when I was 12). Now The Cure is coming back, and 80s music is allot more popular and I think that is awesome especially because The Cure will be getting more money now smile . But most people in my position would either be like "Damn, the rest of you are posers. I so liked the 80s before it was popular" or "Man, 80s music sucks now". Neither really make any sense anyway. I don't even know what point I am trying to make. Gimme a break. Ive been in the desert for 4 days.
Posted: Tue, 1st Jun 2004, 4:02am

Post 61 of 77

Aculag

Force: 8365 | Joined: 21st Jun 2002 | Posts: 8581

EffectsLab Lite User VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

The Cure sold out.
Posted: Tue, 1st Jun 2004, 4:24am

Post 62 of 77

gent23mj

Force: 250 | Joined: 21st Apr 2003 | Posts: 224

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User

Gold Member

gpmovies wrote:

Shizzle rizzle tizzle gizzle mafizzle.....give me a contract...
real music doesn't suck and have real words.
This tends to be Snoop Dogs Marketing Plan...not anywhere close to Eminems songs...

I do not really agree with anything Eminem stands for...but I am going to recognize his ability with words and the art of expression...remember weird to you doesnt mean not good.
Posted: Tue, 1st Jun 2004, 4:29am

Post 63 of 77

gent23mj

Force: 250 | Joined: 21st Apr 2003 | Posts: 224

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User

Gold Member

Rating: +1

remember, music IS ALL ABOUT PERSONAL expression

in some cases, it may SUCK, to you, or according to a certain genre or style...but that doesnt really make anyone morons or sell outs

most singers or bands do it because they love it or because it makes them money, not because you asked them to...so dont gripe

Live and let live
Posted: Tue, 1st Jun 2004, 1:36pm

Post 64 of 77

PhLogan

Force: 490 | Joined: 1st May 2004 | Posts: 290

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User

Gold Member

I believe bands can sell out, though I didnt say Blink182 or Good Charolotte were sellouts (though they are)...they just arent what punk music really is or stands for. This doesn't make them bad or good or anything, and it doesnt mean I dont like them. I also agree a sellout shouldn't automatically be labeled as bad. I listen to many different types of music if its GOOD, not just because its one genre that's popular, or because its not sold out, or whatever...I just listen to what is I like. Music is a personal expression and that is what Blink182 is doign by goign up on stage and having a good time and singing abour poop or whatever (I know alot of their songs are more serious), as long as their having fun then by all means keep doing it. If a band were to sell out to a limit where they HATE the music they are making and the lyrics they "write" ect...then that is sad and is truly selling out. But I think a band can morph and bend their music as much as they want to meet more popular demands...as long as they agree with everything their managers are telling them to do and are still having a good time preforming.
Posted: Wed, 2nd Jun 2004, 8:00pm

Post 65 of 77

Aculag

Force: 8365 | Joined: 21st Jun 2002 | Posts: 8581

EffectsLab Lite User VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

gent23mj wrote:

most singers or bands do it because they love it or because it makes them money
I would think that most people making music do it because they love it, with the exception of all the teeny bopper disney kids who do it because they look good and get paid to do it. But doesn't "doing it for the money" count as "selling out" to you? It sure does to me. Music is an art form, and people who do it for the sole purpose of earning money treat it like a job. Same as people who make movies for the sole purpose of earning money. That's why so many bad movies are made. And so much bad music.
Posted: Wed, 2nd Jun 2004, 9:21pm

Post 66 of 77

DigiSm89

Force: 815 | Joined: 2nd Jun 2002 | Posts: 1898

Windows User

Member

I think this whole discussion's moronic. wink

One's success must contribute to some talent along the line.
Posted: Wed, 2nd Jun 2004, 9:23pm

Post 67 of 77

Marek

Force: 2225 | Joined: 25th Dec 2002 | Posts: 1754

EffectsLab Lite User FXpreset Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Wouldn't the talen be contributing to the success? I don't see a lot of people get successful, then suddenly get talented for no apparent reason. smile
Posted: Wed, 2nd Jun 2004, 10:13pm

Post 68 of 77

MechaForce

Force: 4654 | Joined: 3rd Aug 2001 | Posts: 1934

FXhome Movie Maker Windows User MacOS User

SuperUser

If I have a chance to sell out in life, I'm definitely going to do so. Selling out would rock.

The only problem is that when bands say "Hey, lets sell out!", they usually lose their original sound and try to sound more mainstream. That's the crappy part.
Posted: Wed, 2nd Jun 2004, 11:17pm

Post 69 of 77

gent23mj

Force: 250 | Joined: 21st Apr 2003 | Posts: 224

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User

Gold Member

Aculag wrote:

gent23mj wrote:

most singers or bands do it because they love it or because it makes them money
I would think that most people making music do it because they love it, with the exception of all the teeny bopper disney kids who do it because they look good and get paid to do it. But doesn't "doing it for the money" count as "selling out" to you? It sure does to me. Music is an art form, and people who do it for the sole purpose of earning money treat it like a job. Same as people who make movies for the sole purpose of earning money. That's why so many bad movies are made. And so much bad music.
Yes, I agree, the lil teeny bopper disney kids do get on my nerves. I will say that pop music is not bad in and of itself, but unfortunately, thats the easiest entry into the market it seems. It's not that hard to find a producer and a studio who are willing to Market you for a buck or two. Ok now i know i am going to slammed all over this forum for this but i dont care...take Justin Timberlake...nsync has some guys on it that can sing...unfortunately for THEM lol, JT saw more opportunity with money and decided to go solo. And as POP is concerned, JT can jam, he has talent, unfortunately, he was associated with the most widely dissed boy-bands.

He is a rare example. And why is Jessica Simpson's sister singing now, eck!
Posted: Wed, 2nd Jun 2004, 11:32pm

Post 70 of 77

Aculag

Force: 8365 | Joined: 21st Jun 2002 | Posts: 8581

EffectsLab Lite User VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

I can actually stand Justin timberlake. He's got a real funky sound.
Posted: Fri, 4th Jun 2004, 3:38pm

Post 71 of 77

gent23mj

Force: 250 | Joined: 21st Apr 2003 | Posts: 224

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User

Gold Member

Aculag wrote:

I can actually stand Justin timberlake. He's got a real funky sound.
LOL u rock dude!

and i forgot to mention that i hate when singers have so much going for them and they change their image becuase they think that people are getting bored with them. Most bands mainstream do this. All pop stars seem to do this. Unfortunately, one talented individual i can think of, Christina Aguilera, wonderful voice, now going along with the whole homosexual movement, getting away from her bread and butter "whitney Houston, Mariah Carey(original Mariah style) style and giving the audience what she thinks "they want to hear"

ah well....i hope linkin park doesnt sell out
Posted: Fri, 4th Jun 2004, 6:29pm

Post 72 of 77

sidewinder

Force: 4937 | Joined: 5th Aug 2001 | Posts: 2453

FXhome Movie Maker Windows User MacOS User

SuperUser

Most of you missed the point. People aren't buying his stuff because they want to hear him sing. They're buying it to laugh at how bad he sings.

It has nothing to do with taste. It's comedy, not art.
Posted: Fri, 4th Jun 2004, 7:26pm

Post 73 of 77

gent23mj

Force: 250 | Joined: 21st Apr 2003 | Posts: 224

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User

Gold Member

sidewinder wrote:

Most of you missed the point. People aren't buying his stuff because they want to hear him sing. They're buying it to laugh at how bad he sings.

It has nothing to do with taste. It's comedy, not art.
we understand that, it just developed into another discussion
Posted: Sat, 5th Jun 2004, 7:23am

Post 74 of 77

sidewinder

Force: 4937 | Joined: 5th Aug 2001 | Posts: 2453

FXhome Movie Maker Windows User MacOS User

SuperUser

No, you still don't understand.
Posted: Mon, 7th Jun 2004, 1:11am

Post 75 of 77

gpmovies

Force: 274 | Joined: 24th Nov 2002 | Posts: 220

Windows User

Gold Member

Listen to some good underground music.... forget wat the media and their marketing ploys have taught you. go to shows be active then voice ur opinion in music. try this... www.purevolume.com. then again my views may be slightly skewed from urs seein as how i'm the biggest fan of real punk rock (not GC and simple plan n junk). But check some ppl out... blue skies at war, hawthorh Hieghts, Coheed and Cambria, Moneen...Alexisonfire even tho they aren't so underground nemore. P.s Someone please listen to one of these bands tell me wat u think. i'd be interested to hear it.
Posted: Mon, 7th Jun 2004, 4:41am

Post 76 of 77

Bryce007

Force: 1910 | Joined: 5th Apr 2003 | Posts: 2609

VideoWrap User Windows User

Gold Member

In my personal and often highly regarded opinion, william hung is a modern sex symbol for the new millenium. I mean, look at the guy. His gleaming pearly whites, his stylish haircut and perhaps the best shaped head of anyone out there. Not to mention his incredible charisma and addictive charm!
Posted: Mon, 28th Jun 2004, 6:07am

Post 77 of 77

jonky64

Force: 0 | Joined: 11th Sep 2002 | Posts: 116

Windows User

Member

I feel bad for him because he was like, " I making friends!" and he probally doesnt even know how dorky he is. I wonder if he really thinks he can sing?