You are viewing an archive of the old fxhome.com forums. The community has since moved to hitfilm.com.

Girl Boy is out!

Posted: Mon, 9th Aug 2004, 3:16pm

Post 1 of 92

ssjaaron

Force: 1545 | Joined: 11th Jan 2003 | Posts: 1115

EffectsLab Lite User FXhome Movie Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

hey guys, i know some of you dont care much about Girl boy, but i am a fan.
well the Full Girl Boy movie is out, i am downloading it right now, but when i watch it ill tell you what i think, i would also like to hear your opions.
i hope it suprizes you guys, and me aswell.
mabey this will change some opinions.

watch it here
http://www.schoolis2die4.com/girlboy_full.wmv
its (60Mbs) Windows Media Player 9 needed
Right click and "Save Target as..."
Posted: Mon, 9th Aug 2004, 3:46pm

Post 2 of 92

Sollthar

Force: 13360 | Joined: 30th Oct 2001 | Posts: 6094

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 2 Pro User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User MacOS User

SuperUser

I've watched it a few days ago and was bit confused really. Though it did like many things of it (especially effects, some cinematography, sounddesign) I couldn't really get into it. The whole style was too weird for me and stopped me from having any of the "wow" moments I was expecting. I felt it mostly went on for too long.

It is an impressive achievement nevertheless and kudos to the makers for their patience in making this, but I must say now I've seen it it's just not a style of film I like much. Guess I'll be in the minority though.
Posted: Mon, 9th Aug 2004, 4:01pm

Post 3 of 92

ssjaaron

Force: 1545 | Joined: 11th Jan 2003 | Posts: 1115

EffectsLab Lite User FXhome Movie Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

i am still downloading it, but i love weird style, i am all about black and white weird movies.
thanks sollthar for your comment
Posted: Tue, 10th Aug 2004, 1:16am

Post 4 of 92

Ice_Man

Force: 1390 | Joined: 26th Nov 2002 | Posts: 1208

Windows User

Gold Member

guh. atrocious download speeds from that link you posted. . . . guess for now I'll have to be patient.

and 16 hours from now, I'll just be pissed.
Posted: Tue, 10th Aug 2004, 2:51am

Post 5 of 92

ssjaaron

Force: 1545 | Joined: 11th Jan 2003 | Posts: 1115

EffectsLab Lite User FXhome Movie Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

ya this is the direct DL from his site, i am still downloading it, but i had to stop it once.
from what i have watched, it is weird, but cool, i like these guys style
peace out
Posted: Tue, 10th Aug 2004, 3:13am

Post 6 of 92

Aculag

Force: 8365 | Joined: 21st Jun 2002 | Posts: 8581

EffectsLab Lite User VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

Guess I'll post my comments about it tomorrow when it's done downloading...
Posted: Tue, 10th Aug 2004, 4:53am

Post 7 of 92

ari

Force: 1219 | Joined: 4th Oct 2002 | Posts: 164

VisionLab User MacOS User

Gold Member

when does the movie end? there are no fight scenes or any stuff in the trailer she just waks up out of bed and then it ends.
Posted: Tue, 10th Aug 2004, 5:56am

Post 8 of 92

ssjaaron

Force: 1545 | Joined: 11th Jan 2003 | Posts: 1115

EffectsLab Lite User FXhome Movie Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

did you DL the Intire thing, becuase i saw alot more than that.
Also if sombody ever Dl the intire thing, Dont Delete it make rehost it or something, becuase thier server is so slow!
peace out
Posted: Tue, 10th Aug 2004, 8:08am

Post 9 of 92

ari

Force: 1219 | Joined: 4th Oct 2002 | Posts: 164

VisionLab User MacOS User

Gold Member

i just downloaded it agian and it said there was an error.
Posted: Tue, 10th Aug 2004, 8:21am

Post 10 of 92

Rawree

Force: 3250 | Joined: 27th Jun 2002 | Posts: 1925

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

The same thing happens to me, I downloaded the whole thing but it stops before the end. I'm thinking that it's got something to do with my computer because I've had this problem before.
Posted: Tue, 10th Aug 2004, 1:00pm

Post 11 of 92

ssjaaron

Force: 1545 | Joined: 11th Jan 2003 | Posts: 1115

EffectsLab Lite User FXhome Movie Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

I got the whole thing Downloaded!!! i just left it alone all night to DL and it worked so i am going to watch it and post about it. ill try to get it hosted so you guys can all enjoy it.
peace out
Posted: Tue, 10th Aug 2004, 1:02pm

Post 12 of 92

Xcession

Force: 42802 | Joined: 21st Mar 2001 | Posts: 1964

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 3 Pro User Windows User

SuperUser

Whoopeepeaceout!
Posted: Tue, 10th Aug 2004, 1:05pm

Post 13 of 92

Simon K Jones

Force: 27955 | Joined: 1st Jan 2002 | Posts: 11683

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 5 Pro User MuzzlePlug User PowerPlug User PhotoKey 3 Plug-in User FXhome Movie Maker FXpreset Maker Windows User

FXhome Team Member

Er, maybe I haven't been paying attention, but what is Girl Boy?
Posted: Tue, 10th Aug 2004, 1:29pm

Post 14 of 92

ssjaaron

Force: 1545 | Joined: 11th Jan 2003 | Posts: 1115

EffectsLab Lite User FXhome Movie Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

its a film by some 16teen year olds that won a whole bunch of awards for thier film. it is all shot on the Canon Xl1, its pretty long, and has alot of Awsome FX.
check it out.

by the way t said i had the whole movie, But NO i dont, it stops right after the girl boy flips the kid off and gets beat up. Sollthar do you still have the one you DL, because i really want to see the whole thing, please rehost it sombody so we can all watch it.
peace out
Posted: Tue, 10th Aug 2004, 1:32pm

Post 15 of 92

Sollthar

Force: 13360 | Joined: 30th Oct 2001 | Posts: 6094

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 2 Pro User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User MacOS User

SuperUser

No, I deleted it, sorry. sad


According to the website they were 16 when they started and worked 4 years on the film. So they're around 20 now as I have understood it, no?
Posted: Mon, 6th Sep 2004, 5:18pm

Post 16 of 92

ssjaaron

Force: 1545 | Joined: 11th Jan 2003 | Posts: 1115

EffectsLab Lite User FXhome Movie Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

i know its been awhile but, AF community hosted girl boy 14, so those of you that could not watch it ,now you can, thanks to AFcommunity.
http://www.schoolis2die4.com/index.html
mirror2 is the one you want.
please watch it guys
thanks peaceout
Posted: Mon, 6th Sep 2004, 5:48pm

Post 17 of 92

Xcession

Force: 42802 | Joined: 21st Mar 2001 | Posts: 1964

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 3 Pro User Windows User

SuperUser

Its just a suggestion, and one which is completely unrelated to the topic of this thread...

have you ever thought of putting "peace out" in your signature, rather than typing it manually every single time you post? Doing the latter is kinda similar in oddness, to signing your posts with your name, despite your name being clearly in the post information razz
Posted: Mon, 6th Sep 2004, 6:23pm

Post 18 of 92

ssjaaron

Force: 1545 | Joined: 11th Jan 2003 | Posts: 1115

EffectsLab Lite User FXhome Movie Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

thats a really good idea wink
thanks
Posted: Mon, 6th Sep 2004, 6:42pm

Post 19 of 92

Cypher

Force: 3050 | Joined: 22nd Feb 2002 | Posts: 2126

EffectsLab Lite User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 4 Pro User PhotoKey 3 Plug-in User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

Rating: +1

I downloaded this yesterday and watched it (while at work, no less) and holy crap it was awesome.

If this were in the fxhome cinema, I would give it a 5 (which never happens).

It was wierd, and a bit hard to follow, but its one of those where you have to think a little about it to understand what the filmmakers were trying to do. The plot isn't sound and the premise isn't perfect, but I think I know what they were trying to get at...but its very tough to explain.

Anyway, the incredible visual effects are !!!!!#!(#!!@!@!@!@! (that good) which are in fact the best I've seen from non professionfal level. Much better than sollthar's or twisted studios or that starways movie some time ago or a handful of others (sorry solly, but this just blew me away whereas your stuff is just "impressive" compared to this...plus, they didn't have that yucky zoom thing:D). The cinematography is damn good for the most part, with only a handful of unpleasant angles. The sound design is very very good. The editing is right on. The music is well chosen.

Man, I love this film.
Posted: Mon, 6th Sep 2004, 7:30pm

Post 20 of 92

Aculag

Force: 8365 | Joined: 21st Jun 2002 | Posts: 8581

EffectsLab Lite User VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

Just watched it. I liked it, but it was pretty weird, and I didn't exactly get what was going on, but it was still pretty cool.
Posted: Mon, 6th Sep 2004, 11:02pm

Post 21 of 92

Atom

Force: 4300 | Joined: 9th May 2004 | Posts: 7014

EffectsLab Lite User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

ssjaaron wrote:

i know its been awhile but, AF community hosted girl boy 14, so those of you that could not watch it ,now you can, thanks to AFcommunity.
http://www.schoolis2die4.com/index.html
mirror2 is the one you want.
please watch it guys
thanks peaceout
I still can't find it.
What about mirror2?
Posted: Mon, 6th Sep 2004, 11:05pm

Post 22 of 92

Serpent

Force: 5426 | Joined: 26th Dec 2003 | Posts: 6515

CompositeLab Pro User EffectsLab Pro User FXhome Movie Maker FXpreset Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

Maybe the "/Watch the movie" section, click on mirror 2 for faster download time???
Posted: Mon, 6th Sep 2004, 11:09pm

Post 23 of 92

Atom

Force: 4300 | Joined: 9th May 2004 | Posts: 7014

EffectsLab Lite User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Serpent wrote:

Maybe the "/Watch the movie" section, click on mirror 2 for faster download time???
Oh, thanks Serp. smile The site setup is kinda weird, and whats up with the JVC cam at the bottom? This whole group seems kinda cool, patient, and professional, but its all too weird for me.
Posted: Mon, 6th Sep 2004, 11:32pm

Post 24 of 92

Slick

Force: 1140 | Joined: 20th Jul 2003 | Posts: 924

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User

Gold Member

Rating: +1

Praise to me and marek for hosting it so it doesnt take 3 hours to download right everyone wink.

Hope our bandwidth doesnt go out.
Posted: Mon, 6th Sep 2004, 11:37pm

Post 25 of 92

Pooky

Force: 4834 | Joined: 8th Jul 2003 | Posts: 5913

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User MacOS User FXhome Movie Maker

Gold Member

Holy cow that took 1 minute. biggrin

Anyway, though I didn't get much of it, I thought it was really really well made. I just really want to know how they do that uber slow motion.
Posted: Mon, 6th Sep 2004, 11:46pm

Post 26 of 92

ben3308

Force: 5210 | Joined: 24th May 2004 | Posts: 6433

VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Rating: +2

Morphing between each frame. There's even a program that can automatically morph differences between frames. I don't remember the URL of the site though. I'll try to drag it up. Oh, and before you ask a question, check out the dudes' website. Or the tute on FloridaFX.com on how to do simulated motion with morphing. They use examples such as the slow-mo in GirlBoy and Sollthar's Matrix Jump. Check it out.
Posted: Tue, 7th Sep 2004, 1:37am

Post 27 of 92

Atom

Force: 4300 | Joined: 9th May 2004 | Posts: 7014

EffectsLab Lite User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Slick wrote:

Praise to me and marek for hosting it so it doesnt take 3 hours to download right everyone wink.

Hope our bandwidth doesnt go out.
A definite +1 goes to you for that charity, Slick.

IN MY PERSONAL OPINION: This movie sucked. It didn't entertain me, and the cool shots were cliched and shown on the trailer. The story was dramatic, but overall too complicated and unexplainied for me. Plus, it was all weird to an almost deranged sense, and not very well edited. (my opinion)
Posted: Tue, 7th Sep 2004, 1:56am

Post 28 of 92

ssjaaron

Force: 1545 | Joined: 11th Jan 2003 | Posts: 1115

EffectsLab Lite User FXhome Movie Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

on my fxtest 2 i have a morph test, check i out
http://cpostudios.com/fxtest2.mov
enjoy, and tell me what you guys think

-aaron
Posted: Tue, 7th Sep 2004, 3:04am

Post 29 of 92

Cypher

Force: 3050 | Joined: 22nd Feb 2002 | Posts: 2126

EffectsLab Lite User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 4 Pro User PhotoKey 3 Plug-in User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

sweet, now how did you get that morph done?
Posted: Tue, 7th Sep 2004, 3:07am

Post 30 of 92

Evman

Force: 4382 | Joined: 25th Jan 2004 | Posts: 3609

VisionLab User VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

wow, I just saw this, and wow. I usually skip through longer movies on the internet, but this kept me interested. the cinematography, sound design, and editing were incredible. The fight scene rivaled the matrix fights.

Only problem is that I have no idea what the hell was going on. biggrin
Posted: Tue, 7th Sep 2004, 3:50am

Post 31 of 92

sidewinder

Force: 4937 | Joined: 5th Aug 2001 | Posts: 2453

FXhome Movie Maker Windows User MacOS User

SuperUser

Film technical quality was excellent.

That said, it was pretentious, and it's use of the columbine diaries was offensive. It's like me making an action movie out of 9/11 or a character drama from Mein Kampf.

It's hard to like a movie when it states a message you already disagree with.
Posted: Tue, 7th Sep 2004, 4:16am

Post 32 of 92

Cypher

Force: 3050 | Joined: 22nd Feb 2002 | Posts: 2126

EffectsLab Lite User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 4 Pro User PhotoKey 3 Plug-in User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

It was offensive?

How?

It was effective, not offensive. It drove a point.

Sure, you may disagree with the point, but don't be a cry-baby pussy and be offended because you disagree.

And pretentious is such a pretentious word.
Posted: Tue, 7th Sep 2004, 4:24am

Post 33 of 92

Waser

Force: 4731 | Joined: 7th Sep 2003 | Posts: 3111

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 2 Pro User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

SuperUser

I haven't seen it yet, but what's the message of the movie? I want to know going in
Posted: Tue, 7th Sep 2004, 5:06am

Post 34 of 92

Evman

Force: 4382 | Joined: 25th Jan 2004 | Posts: 3609

VisionLab User VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

dunno. It made no sense to me. biggrin but it was still kickass
Posted: Tue, 7th Sep 2004, 5:12am

Post 35 of 92

Aculag

Force: 8365 | Joined: 21st Jun 2002 | Posts: 8581

EffectsLab Lite User VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

I thought they shouldn't have used the Columbine diary stuff as well. It just seemed like they were praising it somehow, and since the story was not entirely coherent, they may well have been.
Posted: Tue, 7th Sep 2004, 5:37am

Post 36 of 92

Waser

Force: 4731 | Joined: 7th Sep 2003 | Posts: 3111

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 2 Pro User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

SuperUser

Ooooooh, it's one of THOSE movies...... I still have no idea what the hell it's about.
Posted: Tue, 7th Sep 2004, 5:45am

Post 37 of 92

Sollthar

Force: 13360 | Joined: 30th Oct 2001 | Posts: 6094

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 2 Pro User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User MacOS User

SuperUser

Heh, Cypher seems to be easily impressed with morphing effects. smile


Check out
http://www.revisionfx.com/rstwixtor.htm
for example. "Twixtor" is a tool to create effects like that with a couple of clicks.

Same with Dynapels "Motionperfect"
http://www.dynapel.com/index.shtml
Posted: Tue, 7th Sep 2004, 5:55am

Post 38 of 92

sidewinder

Force: 4937 | Joined: 5th Aug 2001 | Posts: 2453

FXhome Movie Maker Windows User MacOS User

SuperUser

It was offensive?

How?
You're kidding me, right? Glorifying the words of a school shooter isn't considerred offensive in Canada?

Sure, you may disagree with the point, but don't be a cry-baby pussy and be offended because you disagree.
So then tell me what the point was. razz
Posted: Tue, 7th Sep 2004, 6:00am

Post 39 of 92

cantaclaro

Force: 2036 | Joined: 24th Oct 2001 | Posts: 875

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

This movie had no point or meaning, as you can see nobody has answered Waser's question because nobody can. If you think that you understand this movie you are full of crap. It is garbage, well edited and well effected, but garbage none the less.

Cypher is against guns but for Columbine...hmmmm

Canta unsure
Posted: Tue, 7th Sep 2004, 11:45am

Post 40 of 92

TAP2

Force: 1128 | Joined: 8th Jan 2003 | Posts: 1848

Windows User

Member

I'm getting 160kbps from http://www.afcommunity.com/Host/fgio/girlboy_full.wmv
Posted: Tue, 7th Sep 2004, 12:09pm

Post 41 of 92

TAP2

Force: 1128 | Joined: 8th Jan 2003 | Posts: 1848

Windows User

Member

OK, well if some 3D gorks on here got their acts togethor they could probably produce something even better.

You could easily impress fxhomers with a short clip involving 3D of that quality, and the bullets can't be that hard. 3D ties and laces are a different story thou.
Posted: Tue, 7th Sep 2004, 1:02pm

Post 42 of 92

otteypm

Force: 1494 | Joined: 29th Mar 2001 | Posts: 775

Windows User

Gold Member

There are plenty of comments I could make but the issue that keeps coming up in my head is that it took them four years to make it......
I just don't think the quality of the film justifies four years work.
Posted: Tue, 7th Sep 2004, 1:15pm

Post 43 of 92

TAP2

Force: 1128 | Joined: 8th Jan 2003 | Posts: 1848

Windows User

Member

I agree with otteypm, and I don't think it had any decent dialogues.
It's suprisingly difficult to get a decent, easy flowing conversation between characters on film, especially if you've only got one camera.
Posted: Tue, 7th Sep 2004, 4:09pm

Post 44 of 92

Sollthar

Force: 13360 | Joined: 30th Oct 2001 | Posts: 6094

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 2 Pro User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User MacOS User

SuperUser

The effects did look great mostly. I didn't like the style of them, but the were almost all quite well done! Especially the fly.

Allthough it's a good tip for all filmmakers, who want to make compositing A LOAD easier: Do it in black and white. Things will look good/real at least 3 times as quick.
Posted: Tue, 7th Sep 2004, 4:58pm

Post 45 of 92

Aculag

Force: 8365 | Joined: 21st Jun 2002 | Posts: 8581

EffectsLab Lite User VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

Rating: +1

Sollthar wrote:

Things will look good/real at least 3 times as quick.
So if they made this in color, instead of B&W, it would have taken them 12 years. wink
Posted: Tue, 7th Sep 2004, 5:15pm

Post 46 of 92

Joshua Davies

Force: 25400 | Joined: 21st Mar 2001 | Posts: 3029

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 5 Pro User MuzzlePlug User PowerPlug User PhotoKey 3 Plug-in User FXpreset Maker Windows User MacOS User

FXhome Team Member

Rating: +1

Aculag - Hehe...

Downloading it now. Quite an interesting and varied range of comments so far.

Sollthar is right (as always) - black and white compositing is really much easier than full colour. Another way to improve your compositing is to make your movie 1/2 or 1/4 size then compress it really badly. smile
Posted: Tue, 7th Sep 2004, 5:46pm

Post 47 of 92

sidewinder

Force: 4937 | Joined: 5th Aug 2001 | Posts: 2453

FXhome Movie Maker Windows User MacOS User

SuperUser

Like in DXM!
Posted: Tue, 7th Sep 2004, 5:51pm

Post 48 of 92

Sollthar

Force: 13360 | Joined: 30th Oct 2001 | Posts: 6094

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 2 Pro User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User MacOS User

SuperUser

Another way to improve your compositing is to make your movie 1/2 or 1/4 size then compress it really badly.
lmao. You should add that to "Schwars tips on how to make your movie look better" smile
Posted: Tue, 7th Sep 2004, 6:26pm

Post 49 of 92

Simon K Jones

Force: 27955 | Joined: 1st Jan 2002 | Posts: 11683

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 5 Pro User MuzzlePlug User PowerPlug User PhotoKey 3 Plug-in User FXhome Movie Maker FXpreset Maker Windows User

FXhome Team Member

Well, I'd love to watch this movie, but I've tried downloading it twice now and the file has become oddly truncated both times. First time it cut off after 5 minutes, this time I got to the fight in the toilets and it cut off.

What I saw was alright - although presumably I haven't got to the amazing effects yet. It's overly arty and self-conscious, in a David Lynch kind of way. Which is about as far from my tastes as you can get. Of course, the weirdness might make a certain kind of sense or be placed in context if I was able to watch the entire movie.

Some interesting editing (the title sequence was quite nice, kind of like Seven meets Buffy) and a good sound mix and music. However, as soon as a bunch of teenagers walked into the bathroom wearing sunglasses I got a worried feeling. And when they started fighting Matrix-style...well, I couldn't help but laugh. Even back when the Matrix was still 'cool' this kind of thing looked a little daft.

However, I'll reserve final judgement on the film until I've seen the full thing. Given the fact it's in an unscrubbable WMV format and seems to refuse to download fully, that could be a while, though...

Last edited Tue, 7th Sep 2004, 7:12pm; edited 1 times in total.

Posted: Tue, 7th Sep 2004, 7:10pm

Post 50 of 92

otteypm

Force: 1494 | Joined: 29th Mar 2001 | Posts: 775

Windows User

Gold Member

the weirdness might make a certain kind of sense of be placed in context if I was able to watch the entire movie.
This was my main problem with the film, it came across as a fairly incoherant bunch of scenes and images, with a bit of a scrap at the end.

Pretentious elements such as the If You Had One Bullet thing were wasted, because the end was just a pointlless overkill battle.

I read the film was originally about an hour long cut down to the half hour or so it is at now, I can't imagine what they would have filled that space with, maybe they lost the plot by cutting it down, but I think I would have given up if it carried on in the same style.

At the very core of it is the fact that I don't really care what happens to Girl/Boy, she/he should learn to tie their shoe laces then they wouldn't get beaten up in the toilets.

I should probably add here that I didn't hate the film as much as I am making out, it had potential to be much better, and some of the elements show a filmmaking style developing, I think they have suffered by over hyping themselves......
Posted: Tue, 7th Sep 2004, 7:58pm

Post 51 of 92

Joshua Davies

Force: 25400 | Joined: 21st Mar 2001 | Posts: 3029

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 5 Pro User MuzzlePlug User PowerPlug User PhotoKey 3 Plug-in User FXpreset Maker Windows User MacOS User

FXhome Team Member

Erm, what on earth?

Where were all the great effects? I saw like 3 bits of good 3D and that was about it. Not sure how this can be 4 years work, bit of a waste of time really. Rather lame in everyway if you ask me, not entertaining and not that well structured. I really think they did use black and white to try and make it look better.

Twisted Studio boys and Sollthar are way ahead of this. I would give it a 4/5 for few good effects which were in there and 1/5 for just about everything else.
Posted: Tue, 7th Sep 2004, 8:09pm

Post 52 of 92

Cypher

Force: 3050 | Joined: 22nd Feb 2002 | Posts: 2126

EffectsLab Lite User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 4 Pro User PhotoKey 3 Plug-in User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

You must not have seen the full thing then, schwar. Or you're just blind wink
Posted: Tue, 7th Sep 2004, 8:13pm

Post 53 of 92

Joshua Davies

Force: 25400 | Joined: 21st Mar 2001 | Posts: 3029

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 5 Pro User MuzzlePlug User PowerPlug User PhotoKey 3 Plug-in User FXpreset Maker Windows User MacOS User

FXhome Team Member

I will count myself lucky if I did miss any as the 25mins I watched were so boring I think I would have just given up and died if it was any longer.

Pretentious might be a pretentious word, but its the right word to describe this tripe.
Posted: Tue, 7th Sep 2004, 8:18pm

Post 54 of 92

er-no

Force: 9531 | Joined: 24th Sep 2002 | Posts: 3964

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 2 Pro User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User MacOS User

SuperUser

Rating: +1

What a load of randomness pieced together and then tried to be passed off as some sort of 'deep and meaningful film'. Apart from the very good 3D work and some excellent camera work, from a narrative point of view, this film is crap!

I gave it a chance for most, then had a trigger inside me that just flipped and I was like 'this really is random shite'. They've gotten away with the fact there is no acting by some music and effects and a crap over the top and hugely pointless fight in the toilets - Matrix-esque.

Maybe I'm getting it all wrong! Maybe the fly is the definition of manhood and life itself, its desperate attempt at freedom from the camera is the directors way of trying to portray the struggle of a girl who keeps changing between a girl and boy in the same bloody toilets whilst on the most trippy period of her life.

Do you agree, Cypher?
Posted: Tue, 7th Sep 2004, 8:22pm

Post 55 of 92

Hybrid-Halo

Force: 9315 | Joined: 7th Feb 2003 | Posts: 3367

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 3 Pro User MuzzlePlug User PowerPlug User FXpreset Maker Windows User MacOS User

SuperUser

"A trippy period"

ewww, sounds Messy. But I agree, there were a few cool moments but overall. Cack.

Everything else has been said. Dreamscape makes more sense and Dreamscape makes NO sense.
Posted: Tue, 7th Sep 2004, 8:24pm

Post 56 of 92

otteypm

Force: 1494 | Joined: 29th Mar 2001 | Posts: 775

Windows User

Gold Member

No, the fly was an externalisation of the fragility of the girls self control, how her mind flits and wanders between the real world and the world that exists behind mirrors and tv screens where she is free to commit acts of violence. confused

Did the fly get squished I can't remember now, all I can remember is endless lingering scenes where actors stare vacantly into space.
Posted: Tue, 7th Sep 2004, 8:29pm

Post 57 of 92

er-no

Force: 9531 | Joined: 24th Sep 2002 | Posts: 3964

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 2 Pro User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User MacOS User

SuperUser

Rating: +1

otteypm wrote:

No, the fly was an externalisation of the fragility of the girls self control, how her mind flits and wanders between the real world and the world that exists behind mirrors and tv screens where she is free to commit acts of violence. confused

Did the fly get squished I can't remember now, all I can remember is endless lingering scenes where actors stare vacantly into space.
I thought it died by getting shot! Then in the next few seconds it was back.. as if by magic.. presenting to us the very strength of the human mind and emotions. The fly represented the lingering scenes, showing us that we should take life with but a slice of bread, slowly spreading the butter on, and not trying to eat all the slice at once without any butter to aid the throat.
Posted: Tue, 7th Sep 2004, 8:47pm

Post 58 of 92

otteypm

Force: 1494 | Joined: 29th Mar 2001 | Posts: 775

Windows User

Gold Member

Rating: +1

I thought it died by getting shot!
So thats the pay off for the If You Had One Bullet question, the answer shoot that f***ing fly so we can get on with our incoherant, play school kung fu fight scene.
Posted: Wed, 8th Sep 2004, 12:13am

Post 59 of 92

Atom

Force: 4300 | Joined: 9th May 2004 | Posts: 7014

EffectsLab Lite User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

otteypm wrote:

No, the fly was an externalisation of the fragility of the girls self control, how her mind flits and wanders between the real world and the world that exists behind mirrors and tv screens where she is free to commit acts of violence.
You got that from this crap? Well, maybe I did miss the meaning of this film. I agree with everyone else on this one. Some effects and some camera techniques were to say the most 'cool'. But, overall, I thought this movie was pure crap. I enjoyed the trailer, because it was so random and weird that I wondered what the story was about, but I was afraid everyone would be pissed when I slammed this film in this thread. So, here the slamming goes:

-There is absolutely no excuse for not having a meaning or story behind a film. Film is the representation of a story, and in essence: Storytelling through sight. Effects don't compensate for lack of story. (Ex. Matrix Reloaded/Revolutions)
-These filmmakers have great patience, yes, to work for four years on a film. However, this film shows lack of patience, with most of the scenes not thought-out and completely random. The references to Columbine seemed curious, but after a while, not somewhat, but very disturbing. This film was almost scary, in the sense of being weird. It made me think these guys were too into this film, to work omn something this strange for so long, almost demented.
Posted: Wed, 8th Sep 2004, 12:22am

Post 60 of 92

Katsu

Force: 1757 | Joined: 5th Sep 2003 | Posts: 119

VisionLab User VideoWrap User Windows User FXpreset Maker

Gold Member

Rating: +1

Does nobody think this movie is "entertaining" ?
To say the truth, if I watch a movie (doesn`t matter if cinema or here) I watch it as "viewer" not as a "filmmaker".

And who knows? Maybe there IS some deeper thinking behind these rondomly mixed scenes, maybe there IS a story behind this movie...
Who knows? And... who cares? I don`t...
But like I said at the beginning.. As a viewer I think this movie is very entertaining.
Posted: Wed, 8th Sep 2004, 12:54am

Post 61 of 92

ben3308

Force: 5210 | Joined: 24th May 2004 | Posts: 6433

VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

atom wrote:

otteypm wrote:

No, the fly was an externalisation of the fragility of the girls self control, how her mind flits and wanders between the real world and the world that exists behind mirrors and tv screens where she is free to commit acts of violence.
You got that from this crap? Well, maybe I did miss the meaning of this film. I agree with everyone else on this one. Some effects and some camera techniques were to say the most 'cool'. But, overall, I thought this movie was pure crap. I enjoyed the trailer, because it was so random and weird that I wondered what the story was about, but I was afraid everyone would be pissed when I slammed this film in this thread. So, here the slamming goes:

-There is absolutely no excuse for not having a meaning or story behind a film. Film is the representation of a story, and in essence: Storytelling through sight. Effects don't compensate for lack of story. (Ex. Matrix Reloaded/Revolutions)
-These filmmakers have great patience, yes, to work for four years on a film. However, this film shows lack of patience, with most of the scenes not thought-out and completely random. The references to Columbine seemed curious, but after a while, not somewhat, but very disturbing. This film was almost scary, in the sense of being weird. It made me think these guys were too into this film, to work omn something this strange for so long, almost demented.
Here, here!
Posted: Wed, 8th Sep 2004, 12:55am

Post 62 of 92

Slick

Force: 1140 | Joined: 20th Jul 2003 | Posts: 924

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User

Gold Member

Tarn wrote:

Well, I'd love to watch this movie, but I've tried downloading it twice now and the file has become oddly truncated both times. First time it cut off after 5 minutes, this time I got to the fight in the toilets and it cut off.
Are you sure you are using our mirror? It should be working.

Heres a direct link to the movie on our servers -

http://www.afcommunity.com/Host/fgio/girlboy_full.wmv
Posted: Wed, 8th Sep 2004, 1:39am

Post 63 of 92

ssjaaron

Force: 1545 | Joined: 11th Jan 2003 | Posts: 1115

EffectsLab Lite User FXhome Movie Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

hey i admit, some most of the story was very cluddered, and i did not get alot of it. ya i dont know what the fly is for either.
Well i am going to have the Director Fernando Dominguez come and post, and hopefully answer many unanswered Questions.

Personally i was blown away by the Fx, i dont know why because i have seen alot of fx here and on other sites. but his have looked alot better than alot of peoples i have seen. (i hope i am making sense confused )

well ill see if i can get him to have a chat with us

-ssjaaron neutral
Posted: Wed, 8th Sep 2004, 2:01am

Post 64 of 92

ben3308

Force: 5210 | Joined: 24th May 2004 | Posts: 6433

VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

ssjaaron wrote:

Personally i was blown away by the Fx, i dont know why because i have seen alot of fx here and on other sites. but his have looked alot better than alot of peoples i have seen. (i hope i am making sense confused )
You are making sense. I understand what you're saying. If you would get the director to post, i would love for him to field some questions of mine. Maybe I just didn't understand the film. After all, I didn't understand Kill Bill at all, in fact, I hated it, but everyone seems to like it; so I guess that's just me. I guess I can also understand how this took so long, as you don't spend the whole year working on the film. Just parts of it. I've been doing trial and error concepts for Atom for the past two years, but only about two months of those two years have been devoted to the film.
Posted: Wed, 8th Sep 2004, 2:16am

Post 65 of 92

Evman

Force: 4382 | Joined: 25th Jan 2004 | Posts: 3609

VisionLab User VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

I still don't understand how you could HATE kill bill... was there too much blood for you? razz
Posted: Wed, 8th Sep 2004, 2:35am

Post 66 of 92

sidewinder

Force: 4937 | Joined: 5th Aug 2001 | Posts: 2453

FXhome Movie Maker Windows User MacOS User

SuperUser

There wasn't enough.


Actually, Quentin Tarantino doesn't direct action well, and the first part was expanded too much to make one movie, and in turn, was very slow in many parts.

Kill Bill 2 was excellent.
Posted: Wed, 8th Sep 2004, 2:58am

Post 67 of 92

Evman

Force: 4382 | Joined: 25th Jan 2004 | Posts: 3609

VisionLab User VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

yes, the 2nd part was better.
Posted: Wed, 8th Sep 2004, 3:09am

Post 68 of 92

Atom

Force: 4300 | Joined: 9th May 2004 | Posts: 7014

EffectsLab Lite User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

evman101 wrote:

I still don't understand how you could HATE kill bill... was there too much blood for you? razz
I'm going to comment, and that's going to be the end of it, okay? DO NOT ANSWER TO THIS! Please, okay?

Ben and I were both horrified by the demented and ultimately disgusting graphic effect of the film, and (in my opinion) the incredibly atrocious and unprofessional editing. I feel that Tarentino is a sick human being, and I find it VERY disturbing that (through his films) he finds religion in violence. Because, in a whole: Violence is his religion, and that really bothers me. I thought the violence was bad, but the clencher for me was the heavy lack of 'real' story, the oddly edited sound, and random anime and black and white. I got to the point where 'the bride' bit off a clergymens tongue in full graphic violence for like 10 minutes, and then bashed his head in between a doorway for at least 4 minutes. Now, don't think that I'm just being biased, or that I just thought this about Tarentino before I saw the film. I thought Pulp Fiction was 'okay', and I TRUTHFULLY begged and annoyed and begged and annoyed and begged my dad until he took me and ben to see Kill Bill, vol.1, and I had to leave. And believe me, I never leave a movie. I stayed through both "See Spot Run" AND "Gigli" to see if they got any better, but, of course, they didn't. confused And, personally, I am not a religious person, but I PRAY TO GOD that anybody under 17 DOES NOT SEE THIS MOVIE. Because I feel that it has and always will emotionally scar me for life, and it just goes to show you how well the MPAA system works.

(This is all just bias opinion, and I am hoping that this post will close any remarks on why me or ben hate Kill Bill for the entirety of our time on FXHome) smile

-Andrew Atom Adams
Posted: Wed, 8th Sep 2004, 3:25am

Post 69 of 92

Evman

Force: 4382 | Joined: 25th Jan 2004 | Posts: 3609

VisionLab User VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

okay, you say don't answer to this, but I just have to say that all the stuff that you mentioned made me like it even more. Except the thing you said about lack of story. How can you talk like that about a movie when you didn't see the whole thing? It had a very good story if you see it in conjunction with part 2, which, after all, you are supposed to do because it is really one movie, you will see the great story and characters. The fact that it was so violent made it really cool. I loved the random anime stuff and I loved how tarantino didn't stick to conventional filmmaking. He did what he wanted.

Btw, There's a reason its rated R, "Kiddo". Heh, I just quoted volume 2 accidentally. razz

Now that that is said and done, back to GirlBoy.
Posted: Wed, 8th Sep 2004, 3:39am

Post 70 of 92

Cypher

Force: 3050 | Joined: 22nd Feb 2002 | Posts: 2126

EffectsLab Lite User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 4 Pro User PhotoKey 3 Plug-in User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

The over-the-top, anime-ish violence made Kill Bill vol 1 that much better.

I agree that yes, it's longer than it should be as a volume, there were some slow parts here and there, but the sheer kickassery of the rest overshadows the parts I didn't like making a great volume 1.

Volume 2 on the other hand, is a completley different movie in ever way except plot and premise. The style, the writing, the music, the cinematography, the editing is all different.

I for one like vol 1 more because its just a hell of alot more fun to watch - but then again, i'm "used to" i guess you can say the violence. I've watched films much more grutesque from this when I was like 7 (my dad is a big fan of grindhouse flicks and anime) and I guess I just have the balls for the violence. But its so unrealistic I can't see people really taking it to heart: it's not supposed to be real. Kill Bill is entertainment above all else, I say, I like girlboy, I was very, very entertained.

I guess you guys can say that my style in film is far different from many of those on the forum. Although sollthar has shown he is a worthy filmmaker and very adept at visual effects, I can't see myself watching a feature created by him, judging by what I've seen (ie...turicon. i barely got through that) and i know solly feels the same about my films; they're not his cup of tea, which is cool, i have no problems there.

but yes, it would be great if we got the makers of girlboy to post on this forum.

the problem i think most people are having is because its something entirely different in a narrative perspective and these people are just not used to it. Change is a very big problem in human nature (if you disagree, take it up with the countless professors who have backed this up). To me, this film, although awkward and unique, is not exactly in a boat of its own, I've seen other films just as wacky, except in different tenses.
Posted: Wed, 8th Sep 2004, 4:09am

Post 71 of 92

axess

Force: 90 | Joined: 5th Sep 2004 | Posts: 5

Member

Well, Im Federico, and Im the editor of GIRLBOY, so well... you can ask about
whatever you like (or not like) about this little piece of crap we like to call our movie. heheh

Fernando is not really into posting, so he passed me the honor...

And by the way... yes, to all those of you who think we are a little demented... we are.
And that we don´t really care much whether you like or not like our movie.... actually we are kinda hating it right now... but we are indeed really proud of it, and thankfull to ALL OF YOU, for taking your time to watch it and comment on it... wink

Sorry for my english, remember, we come from Argentina...
Posted: Wed, 8th Sep 2004, 5:26am

Post 72 of 92

Kerfin

Force: 240 | Joined: 20th Jun 2003 | Posts: 40

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User

Gold Member

Okay I watched it yesterday. I didn't like it much, but I certainly didn't hate it. I think most people here are very negative about it because the movie got so much exposure and hype.

I can see they worked very hard on this, but 4 years? It seems to me they were learning filmmaking by doing this movie, that's the only reason I can see that much time.

As it was commented before, black and white is a good choice for low budget movies because it is easier to make it look good. Actually, I don't remember seeing a lot of people here who are any good with color and lighting, I know Sollthar (who is getting better and better, The Final Day looks very good) is good and another I cannot recall the name. Of course that is only my opinion, you can disagree. Also I can't shoot in color either. I don't like thinking about color temperature and stuff like that. You can fix a lot of things in post, but not lack of experience with lighting. BUYING A 4000$ CAMERA WON'T MAKE YOUR MOVIE LOOK MORE PROFESSIONNAL IF YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND LIGHTING. Learn still photography ! I have a 800$ miniDV camera and I find it useless to buy anything better until I can light a scene well. And most people here who claim they can light well CANNOT. You can't get good with lighting in a matter of months. Cinematographers work years before becoming good.

That said, sure it is easier to frame and light shots in b&w... some shots in this movie looked VERY good while others looked VERY amateur. B&W doesnt help with bad framing. I blame this on the 4 years it has taken to make this movie. That's what happens when you work on something for too long. I feel they should simply have started everything from scratch once they knew exactly what it is they wanted to do. You can see they cut a lot of things and added new ideas while shooting it. I think this movie was saved by the editing and the special effects (not that well done since you can easily see how they were done, but who cares they looked so cool !). So Frederico, good job on that.

I, too, felt the guys with sunglasses (agents anyone?) and the fights were out of place. I mean, it looked like they shot a Matrix fan movie then decided to use the footage for something else. The choreogrphy was good, but I kept having this "I've seen that move before" feeling. Also, exact moves were taken from Matrix. But in a way... it's good this movie had this, because I don't think the movie have been such a success. It would have another art movie. That's what makes this movie different. Art + enterainment. Most people here like entertainment only so they get put off by artsy-only stuff.

It seems to me that those guys could do a lot better now and more consistant in quality. They must have learned a lot while doing this movie. I don't mind the movie being "pretentious" or over-trying to be artsy. After all, they are (were?) young and at that age everybody feels they're artists. And with that much exposure it would probably be easier to find budget.

Somebody mentionned David Lynch, I'm a big fan of him and I disagree completly, there was nothing Lynchian about this movie.

Sorry about the bad english (not my first language), I have to go now and don't have time to re-read.
Posted: Wed, 8th Sep 2004, 5:27am

Post 73 of 92

sidewinder

Force: 4937 | Joined: 5th Aug 2001 | Posts: 2453

FXhome Movie Maker Windows User MacOS User

SuperUser

To be honest, a little of that hate comes from Jealousy, as it is in fact a very polished film. It's the content that's off-putting.

Could you possibly explain the message behind the columbine quotes?

And why the film took four years?
Posted: Wed, 8th Sep 2004, 5:39am

Post 74 of 92

Waser

Force: 4731 | Joined: 7th Sep 2003 | Posts: 3111

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 2 Pro User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

SuperUser

sidewinder wrote:



And why the film took four years?
c'mon Sidewinder, filming random stuff takes FOREVER! Plus, it was in BLACK AND WHITE! Black and white! Black and White+random stuff+glorifying (sic?) the columbine killings = Great, deep, thought out, deep movie
Posted: Wed, 8th Sep 2004, 6:17am

Post 75 of 92

Aculag

Force: 8365 | Joined: 21st Jun 2002 | Posts: 8581

EffectsLab Lite User VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

What's odd about this taking 4 years to me, is that when I saw the trailer 2 years ago or so (maybe 3?) it had all the visual effects shots in it. I really doubt it took 4 years to shoot all the footage, since no one ages at all. And since it seemed like all the effects shots were at least very close to being finished, since they were in the trailer.

So maybe they just have a really slow computer and it took several years to compress the footage.
Posted: Wed, 8th Sep 2004, 8:05am

Post 76 of 92

axess

Force: 90 | Joined: 5th Sep 2004 | Posts: 5

Member

Rating: +6

OK, so here I go,

The film took 4 years to make, basically because there was no such a thing as a screenplay, or a production plan, or filming schedules, shooting began in 1999 when they were still in highschool, so they could only shot on the weekends, and not all weekends, so you could imagine it took several months to complete each scene... (I say "they", because I wasn´t involved in the project at the time, I met Fernando in 2001, when almost everything was already shot... everything but the action sequences) and the actrees had already gone to live to france, so, no more scenes could be done with her, so you can imagine, it was quite chaotic.

Basically everything was done at the same time... shooting, drawing storyboards, editing, FX, back to shooting... reediting... redrawing.... It was constantly like that.

The structure of the film was created in the editing...

Which brings us to the subject of the Columbine Analogy....

You see, originally it wasnt supossed to be that important...
The first cut of the movie, which was 57 minutes long!!!!, only featured it at the beginning, and was never mentioned again... and it kinda fell out of place...

Of course the subject of high shchool opression, mixed with a little bit of the madness, fears and doubts of adolescense was there anyhow, but later we tried to go for the extremes...

So when I recuted the movie entirely to 25 min I had the idea to twist it a little, and make the suicidal note work as some sort of backbone of the movie, that in some weird way divided the movie in acts.... THE SO CALLED THREE ACT STRUCTURE.... or something that resembled it.


Basically we wanted to bring some interesting subjects to the movie...
make the people who watch it try really hard to find the conexions between the boys at columbine and this girl(boy) that is our main characther... by no means we tried to glorify what happened in Columbine... we just tried to bring some questions to the table... and make people think... that maybe this two kids Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold were victims too, even though they were the ones who pulled the trigger... they were also victims.... but victims of what??? that's the question... and we are not so arrogant to pretend to have the definitive answer to that... And thats the reason why everything in the movie seems cryptic, like with a close meaning, because we dont have the real answer to that... we believe its much more interesting for a film, or any type of art
form to ask questions, meaningful questions, rather than answer those questions... its better to trust the audience and let them decide what to think for themselves.

Oteherwise you get silly moralist films, that lead to ovbious answers that serves to no other purpose than to make people comfortable.... We tried to shake things a little bit and see what came out of it... wheter we succeded or not is another thing.

Id like to comment that the version of the film that everyone is downloading, is in someway the most weird, in terms of meaning, there is another one, which I prefer better, that runs like 10 min longer and in someways enlightens some of the doubts the film creates to some people... like its a more polished version... the 25min cut, had to be trimmed for tv, it needed to last less than 30 min... lets hope someday the 33 min version could be out. Its not like its more CLEAR, but in a weird way it makes more sense.



AND FOR THOSE OBSESSED WITH B&W PHOTOGRAPHY....
YEEEES!!!!!
WE MADE IT BLACK AND WHITE TO MAKE IT LOOK BETTER!!!!!!!
WHO CAN BLAME US!
smile

Did anyone blame Spielberg for making the TREX appear in a rainy night in JURASSIC PARK????


Somebody posted that once we knew what we were doing we should have started again from scratch!... You figure... we have 17 hours of filmed material, we have to do something with it!!! this was the best thing we could came up with. Besides It was a great learning process... I suggest that if anybody wants to be a filmmaker, don´t waste four years in crappy film schools, investe those same four years in making a crappy film like GirlBOY, you have no idea how much you can learn from it.
WHEN I SAY CRAPPY FILM I MEAN IT smile

See ya
Posted: Wed, 8th Sep 2004, 12:17pm

Post 77 of 92

TAP2

Force: 1128 | Joined: 8th Jan 2003 | Posts: 1848

Windows User

Member

Does nobody think this movie is "entertaining" ?
To say the truth, if I watch a movie (doesn`t matter if cinema or here) I watch it as "viewer" not as a "filmmaker".

And who knows? Maybe there IS some deeper thinking behind these rondomly mixed scenes, maybe there IS a story behind this movie...
Who knows? And... who cares? I don`t...
But like I said at the beginning.. As a viewer I think this movie is very entertaining.
Very good point... We're all trying to 'find mistakes' when we watch movies. Maybe we should just all try relaxing and enjoying them, although I still think they could have made and finished that in a few short months if they'd had time.
Posted: Wed, 8th Sep 2004, 1:21pm

Post 78 of 92

ben3308

Force: 5210 | Joined: 24th May 2004 | Posts: 6433

VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Rating: +1

I think that I could see where some parts of the movie were going, like when the boy is being shot at dramatically and it shows clips of the girl kinda like a flashback, but some other parts I didn't understand. I guess GirlBoy is one of those films that you have to use your own discdretion to understand. Though I must say I wasn't that pleased with the direction of the film, kudos to you for the editing- though some parts were random, which is what some people, take ssjaaron for instance, love, but I'm not a big fan of- but I liked the editing during the fight scene. Basically, it was awesome. While GirlBoy may not be one of my favorite films, it is revolutionary, and I think we can all take something from it.
Posted: Wed, 8th Sep 2004, 1:38pm

Post 79 of 92

Sollthar

Force: 13360 | Joined: 30th Oct 2001 | Posts: 6094

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 2 Pro User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User MacOS User

SuperUser

Thanks a lot for that great insight axess!

As I said before, even though it isn't a style of film I like, I do see the time, work and passion that has gone into it and Fernando and his crew definately deserve a lot of respect for that!

It's this passion that is necessary to make a stand in the filmworld. To work on something for 4 years, without being sure if anyone will ever see it or like it. Thats the right attitude, only very little amateurfilmmakers have and I find it great that you encourage others to do it, and even if only a couple of people follow that and we get more films with such a passion, it's been worth it in my opinion!


(btw, the black and white trick is a good one. Any trick that makes footage look better is a good one. And as you see, it did work greatly on some) wink
Posted: Wed, 8th Sep 2004, 11:19pm

Post 80 of 92

Atom

Force: 4300 | Joined: 9th May 2004 | Posts: 7014

EffectsLab Lite User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Don't get me wrong, I would be extremely proud if I accomplished something of Girl(Boy)'s nature. But, as a filmmaker and an audience, I didn't enjoy it. In fact, I was disturbed. I'm sorry, because I know how it feels for someone to slam a film you've been working on FOREVER. Believe me, I KNOW

So don't feel bad, I just didn't like it. Then again, I don't like weird stuff in general, thats probably just me. But the Colombine stuff REALLY bothered me. Sorry. Thats just my thought. confused

Andrew Atom Adams
Posted: Thu, 9th Sep 2004, 1:59am

Post 81 of 92

axess

Force: 90 | Joined: 5th Sep 2004 | Posts: 5

Member

Rating: +2

BELIEVE ME, we also know how it feel to get your film critized... as a matter of fact, theres plenty of people who dislikes our movie, or plain hate it.... we don´t really care much about it.

We knew from the beginning this was not a film everyone would like, it´s quite weird, and uneven, sometimes boring, sometimes a little too much experimental... sometimes too matrix like... PLUS the columbine thing... its an explosive mix...
We knew some people would get offended... but I´ve already explained why we did that

We wanted to touch a nerve... see if we could get some sort of reaction of the audience...

Actually we where quite surprised when we found people who really liked the move, even loved it... I Guess its part of the game we are playing... some will like what you do, some wont...

Let me put it this way... in many many ways, girlBOY is a flawed movie... an like many flawed movies, it turns out to be quite interesting, if you are willing to see through the cracks, to see beyond what the movie really is, it can be a really interesting thing to watch... if you are not willing to do so, if all you want to get out of a movie are some good action scenes and thrilling moments... (which is perfectly fine, don´t get me wrong), then probably this will never be your kind of movie, because it demands active participation from the audience to get something out of it.
we can understand that.
Posted: Thu, 9th Sep 2004, 2:06am

Post 82 of 92

Atom

Force: 4300 | Joined: 9th May 2004 | Posts: 7014

EffectsLab Lite User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

axess wrote:

BELIEVE ME, we also know how it feel to get your film critized... as a matter of fact, theres plenty of people who dislikes our movie, or plain hate it.... we don´t really care much about it.

We knew from the beginning this was not a film everyone would like, it´s quite weird, and uneven, sometimes boring, sometimes a little too much experimental... sometimes too matrix like... PLUS the columbine thing... its an explosive mix...
We knew some people would get offended... but I´ve already explained why we did that

We wanted to touch a nerve... see if we could get some sort of reaction of the audience...

Actually we where quite surprised when we found people who really liked the move, even loved it... I Guess its part of the game we are playing... some will like what you do, some wont...

Let me put it this way... in many many ways, girlBOY is a flawed movie... an like many flawed movies, it turns out to be quite interesting, if you are willing to see through the cracks, to see beyond what the movie really is, it can be a really interesting thing to watch... if you are not willing to do so, if all you want to get out of a movie are some good action scenes and thrilling moments... (which is perfectly fine, don´t get me wrong), then probably this will never be your kind of movie, because it demands active participation from the audience to get something out of it.
we can understand that.
Well put, axess. +1 indeed.
Posted: Thu, 9th Sep 2004, 4:19am

Post 83 of 92

sidewinder

Force: 4937 | Joined: 5th Aug 2001 | Posts: 2453

FXhome Movie Maker Windows User MacOS User

SuperUser

Though you essentially said it's okay for me to make a bad movie in order to make people get angry if they watch it.
Posted: Thu, 9th Sep 2004, 4:25am

Post 84 of 92

Cypher

Force: 3050 | Joined: 22nd Feb 2002 | Posts: 2126

EffectsLab Lite User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 4 Pro User PhotoKey 3 Plug-in User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

nobody forces you to watch anything
Posted: Thu, 9th Sep 2004, 5:44am

Post 85 of 92

Sollthar

Force: 13360 | Joined: 30th Oct 2001 | Posts: 6094

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 2 Pro User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User MacOS User

SuperUser

And what about that invisible girl next to me pointing a gun at my head? neutral
Posted: Thu, 9th Sep 2004, 6:49am

Post 86 of 92

axess

Force: 90 | Joined: 5th Sep 2004 | Posts: 5

Member

Rating: +1

sidewinder wrote:

Though you essentially said it's okay for me to make a bad movie in order to make people get angry if they watch it.
Wheter you think its bad

No, that´s not what I said... But then.. if that´s what you got from it, its ok...
What I said is that because of the subjects we were touching, it was obvious that some people would get offended, I don´t justifie that so, You see, IT´s just a movie, and I basically believe in terms of movies, you can do whatever you want, as long as you understand its just that, a movie. If people get offended is either because they are too suceptible or too silly to understand that....

LET ME PUT IT THIS WAY... there´s people who think the masaccre at Columbine happened because this 2 kids listened to marylin manson, and played violent videogames... SOME OTHER people, like me, and fernando, and many others, believe theres a lot more to it, something lurking underneath the surface, that just as easy as it triggered in this two kids at columbine, it could have or still could get triggered in any kid around the world... as long as there´s people who believe it all comes down to the clothes we wear or the music we listen to... the possibilities of another columbine are still there...
we believe that first we have to understand that things are not just as simple, life is not painted in black and white... (ironically our movie is b&w, but that´s not the point)

This first group of people, would always get offended if we touched the subject of columbine... because they cannot see past beyond their own prejudice. There was not much we could do about that, just let them be, and let our movie touch whoever would permit so.

Im not saying that everyone who doesnt like our movie is silly or anything like that... actually everyone is in their own right to hate girlboy, or love it.
What Im saying, is that its just a movie, and not a good enough reason to get offended, no matter how serious the subject is.
Posted: Thu, 9th Sep 2004, 11:16am

Post 87 of 92

Mellifluous

Force: 5604 | Joined: 6th Oct 2002 | Posts: 3782

EffectsLab Pro User Windows User

Gold Member

Rating: +1

Just managed to watch the film.

Technically, this film is superb. Some very nice shots here, not just the fight, & it seems that filming was a lot about exploring what you can do with a camera as much as with special effects. The editing was very well done, with nice use of masking & transparency to do things like reflections in objects such as characters' eyes. You obviously worked hard on editing & camerawork, which is another aspect I liked. Nice & flowing, without being shakey, & I'm a fan of fast pans. Liked the mix of b & w & colour too even though your motives for this may not be for plot reasons...

The plot obviously involved discrimination of some sort, but because not many words were spoken I couldn't decide whether to take the title literally & that the girl was a guy in drag, or what. I couldn't see what the boy's connection to the girl was - maybe another aspect of the girl, a hallucination or what...

Nevertheless, I thought the use of the Columbine diary was fine. Someone saw fit to actually publish it & reveal the thoughts of the killer, so why not have it in a film? Because this was the only information we had for the film, I put everything in context of this & tried to understand it. Without condoning their actions, pupils who go to such extremes at their school don't do so lightly; ususally it's because of heavy stress such as bullying or trouble at home. So, not condoning, merely trying to understand. People get uncomfortable if people try to get them to have sympathy for these types of pupils e.g. the Columbine killer, because they would prefer to believe they're demented psychos. Wouldn't we all. But we cannot get away from the fact that maybe, just maybe, these killers are products of ourselves & how we bully/relate to them.

So I kind of got a comprehension of what was going on at the end of the film, but still, as you know doubt have heard, people find the plot confusing & I'm no exception, though I think I get the message.

The fight was superb, with nice use of a toilet smile Nice photography, but fx shoelaces & tie seemed odd. Why did you use them? For continuity? The fight though seems totally out of place in the film, & would have been better suited to another film that revealed the occurrences leading up to the fight better.

I must mention the sound, too. Some of the music seemed familiar but I take it was composed all for the film? If so, well done. The sound effects were equally good, atmospheric etc, including the various fly sounds. It's uncommon for amateur films to have as good a sound as yours so hats off for that.

Overall, liked photography & quirky editing but didn't find plot so great. I understand though that little time with actors caused this. If you use your talents on a better plot then you may go far because technically & stylistically this is very professional, but it definitely has its flaws.
Posted: Thu, 9th Sep 2004, 1:14pm

Post 88 of 92

ssjaaron

Force: 1545 | Joined: 11th Jan 2003 | Posts: 1115

EffectsLab Lite User FXhome Movie Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

i agree completely mellifluos wink

-ssjaaron tard
Posted: Thu, 9th Sep 2004, 4:45pm

Post 89 of 92

axess

Force: 90 | Joined: 5th Sep 2004 | Posts: 5

Member

Something funny, for those who get confused with the title, into thinking this could have been a boy or a girl in a drag....

Since we lost our main actrees somewher along the road (thankfully after shooting most of her scenes) for some very specific shots, our GIRL, is actually a boy wearing a wig , just the wig, not the whole school uniform. We found those shots quite embarrasing, since obviously you can tell something wierd has happened to our girls hair, but well, we couldn´t bring her back from france, so the wig had to do....

Nontheles, it wasn´t meant to be understood like that, the girl imagines to be a boy, or becomes one, who knows, what we know for sure, is that in terms of story, she is not a crossdressing. wink

and that fW"##$$ shoelaces shot.... hehe, it was added in te reediting process, fernando created a lot of new shots to see if I could insert them into the action scene, some of them could be put in the movie, some couldn´t, one of those shots is the one of the shoelaces tying themselves.
There were plenty of really extremes shots that couldn´t be put. SOME WERE REALLY IMPRESSIVE, I´ll suggest Fer to put those small shots in the website, so everyone can see them.
the problem with those shots, was that they were too surreal, too extreme,
cameras flying two inches from the floor, following three bullets across the bathroom, floor breaking when someone fell... stuff like that, just insert shots, but they were worth watching.
Posted: Thu, 9th Sep 2004, 10:08pm

Post 90 of 92

Cypher

Force: 3050 | Joined: 22nd Feb 2002 | Posts: 2126

EffectsLab Lite User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 4 Pro User PhotoKey 3 Plug-in User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

Sollthar wrote:

And what about that invisible girl next to me pointing a gun at my head? neutral
that's just cause you're crazy
Posted: Mon, 13th Sep 2004, 10:27pm

Post 91 of 92

Cypher

Force: 3050 | Joined: 22nd Feb 2002 | Posts: 2126

EffectsLab Lite User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 4 Pro User PhotoKey 3 Plug-in User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

sidewinder wrote:

You're kidding me, right? Glorifying the words of a school shooter isn't considerred offensive in Canada?
I don't see it as glorifying in any way. It's all very disturbing.
Posted: Tue, 12th Aug 2008, 12:09pm

Post 92 of 92

fatgirl

Force: 0 | Joined: 22nd Nov 2005 | Posts: 6

Member

Hey there guys.
Fernando Sarmiento here, creator of Girl(Boy)

I´ve just premiered online my latest film, called "ELA in Love at First Byte". It´s a weird retro mix of Tron, Silverhawks, She Ra, Heavy Metal, and Flash Gordon.

Give it a try here!

Vimeo
http://www.vimeo.com/1456640

Youtube
http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=A8Y4959T3Oc

Thanks!
Hope you guys like it!