You are viewing an archive of the old fxhome.com forums. The community has since moved to hitfilm.com.

Notification before AlamDV3 is released?

Posted: Thu, 17th Mar 2005, 6:18pm

Post 1 of 9

Jetwise

Force: 220 | Joined: 15th Oct 2004 | Posts: 90

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User

Gold Member

Apologies if this has been asked, I did search first.

I see that as of today there are 9 items left on the ADV3 list. I've been purposely delaying my Alam purchase as long as possible because I've downloaded the ADV2 demo and apparently everything I've ever filmed falls into the dreaded Microsoft DV category. I can't get a thing to open, and I'm not interested or willing to re-render in different codecs this close to ADV3 launch.

So, the question: Will there be, say, a one week warning saying if you don't buy AlamDV2 now you will be paying a lot more for ADV3?

Thanks, it will help me plan my finances properly.
Posted: Thu, 17th Mar 2005, 9:32pm

Post 2 of 9

Marek

Force: 2225 | Joined: 25th Dec 2002 | Posts: 1754

EffectsLab Lite User FXpreset Maker Windows User

Gold Member

What can it hurt to buy it now? If you don't need it now you'll still be saving money (not a whole lot mind you; it's still a program for filmmakers on a budget)

You don't have to use AlamDV2, and if your projects can wait, why not save a little cash right now?
Posted: Thu, 17th Mar 2005, 11:30pm

Post 3 of 9

Jetwise

Force: 220 | Joined: 15th Oct 2004 | Posts: 90

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User

Gold Member

"What can it hurt to buy it now?"

I know you mean well Marek, I appreciate your response. I am a husband and a father of three. I work full time and attend school full time. I run a struggling part time business. Life is full and there is usually too much month left over at the end of the money. I don’t spend money on cigarettes or alcohol or gambling or…pick your poison. When I do spend money on myself, it is usually saved up and usually has something to do with video editing and film. My question is rooted in personal finance balancing, and based on your response, I’m assuming the answer is No?


On another note: Sometimes I want to scream at you folks to quit pretending $100 isn't $100. It’s cheap; it’s worth it, yes, yes. People conclude that without being told, and based completely on their individual interpretation of the value of money as it relates to their own life and situation at a given time. My 10 year old daughter happens to think it’s way too expensive, as well she should at her age.
Posted: Fri, 18th Mar 2005, 12:28am

Post 4 of 9

pzgamer825

Force: 140 | Joined: 2nd Jan 2005 | Posts: 194

Windows User

Member

I know how you feel. I'm 14 and was really hoping to pick up a copy, however I don't exactly have the money at the moment, and don't know if I will in time for the ADV3 release.

My recommendation is get it now. If you have the money, splurge. It should be worth it in the end, I think you will appreciate the purchase.

However, the price increase won't be that much, only around 14 dollars. At least that is what I have heard. It is more than it is now, but it isn't overly terrible.
Posted: Fri, 18th Mar 2005, 1:14am

Post 5 of 9

Gibs

Force: 1663 | Joined: 21st May 2002 | Posts: 1611

CompositeLab Pro User FXhome Movie Maker FXpreset Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

If the price increase is really small like that, I would suggest waiting. That way you can try out the Alamdv3 demo to be absolutely sure you are spending the money in the right place.
Posted: Fri, 18th Mar 2005, 1:27am

Post 6 of 9

Rawree

Force: 3250 | Joined: 27th Jun 2002 | Posts: 1925

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

Rating: +1

It's really down to how confident you are that AlamDV3 will be worth your money: You may end up waiting to try the demo and decide the program's not for you in which case you've saved yourself $120(?) but similarly you may find that it's a program you want in which case you'll be paying $20(?) more than if you'd bought AlamDv2 now and upgraded. Also if you bought AlamDv2 now for the update and realise when it comes out that it doesn't suit your needs then you're down $100 whereas if you gamble and buy it now and the upgrade is everything you ever wanted then you've got it $20(?) than if you'd waited.

I would personally say that if budgeting is a main factor in your purchase the extra 20 or so dollars is worth it just so you know the program is what you want; after all it's better than spending $100 on a program that you don't want/need.
Posted: Fri, 18th Mar 2005, 2:40am

Post 7 of 9

Hybrid-Halo

Force: 9315 | Joined: 7th Feb 2003 | Posts: 3367

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 3 Pro User MuzzlePlug User PowerPlug User FXpreset Maker Windows User MacOS User

SuperUser

Jetwise wrote:

Sometimes I want to scream at you folks to quit pretending $100 isn't $100. It’s cheap; it’s worth it, yes, yes. People conclude that without being told, and based completely on their individual interpretation of the value of money as it relates to their own life and situation at a given time. My 10 year old daughter happens to think it’s way too expensive, as well she should at her age.
Though amateur film is something we all share in common on this site and it's a simple fact that $100 is not alot of money for a program that is better in many respects to ones which are selling for in excess of 7 times that amount.

Film making is not a "cheap" hobby, a camera that's useable is still over $400. Relatively little is cheap in film making, though is is as cheap as the company can make it. And I think they do a good job by creating such highly affordable pieces of software.
Posted: Fri, 18th Mar 2005, 3:04pm

Post 8 of 9

Mellifluous

Force: 5604 | Joined: 6th Oct 2002 | Posts: 3782

EffectsLab Pro User Windows User

Gold Member

I understand your question perfectly. Guys, I doubt if he's disputing the cheapness of the program, he's probably already sold on that. But if you do have financial commitments such as paying bills & the added pressure of making sure your family is provided for, then this is a valid question. I'm guessing that Jetwise's considerations are based on the fact that he must examine his current financial state & things he must account for, balanced against the fact that currently AlamDV is cheaper at the moment than it will when shortly AlamDV3 is released. If he cannot logistically afford himself the luxury of buying AlamDV right now without allocating a certain amount of money each week say, then it's an important issue for him. An issue that I think no kids on here can appreciate...

My advice is to buy it/save up for it as soon as possible as a release date is very unclear, otherwise you may be left kicking yourself.
Posted: Fri, 18th Mar 2005, 6:07pm

Post 9 of 9

Jetwise

Force: 220 | Joined: 15th Oct 2004 | Posts: 90

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User

Gold Member

Mell, exactly.

Thank you everyone for your input. Most helpful. I didn't realize there was only a $20 difference--actually I thought it was double so that is a huge relief. But I believe I will be trying to get this taken care of before ADV3 is released anyway. It's just too cool to not own as soon as possible smile