You are viewing an archive of the old fxhome.com forums. The community has since moved to hitfilm.com.

The Ring Two

Posted: Fri, 18th Mar 2005, 9:29am

Post 1 of 53

Waser

Force: 4731 | Joined: 7th Sep 2003 | Posts: 3111

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 2 Pro User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

SuperUser

It's about 2:23 AM here, and I just got back from the midnight showing of The Ring Two, and i must say: YES

I'm a huge fan of the ring saga (the american movie, ringu, the book, i love it all), and was especially excited when I heard that the director of Ringu would be doing The Ring Two, but some of the commercials here had such lines as "I fouuuund you!" and "I'm not you're.....mommy!" and not to mention the grudge, which had it's japanese director do the hollywood re-make, blew my balls off because of how bad it was. I was starting to doubt whether or not The Ring Two would live up to my hype. But it did.

Everything about this movie was really great. The direction, the acting, and the visuals are all amazing. Even that little turd kid from the first movie, who I hated, was creepy as hell in this one. The plot was decent, especially considering that there wasn't much to fill up after the first movie. I loved this movie, and actually, I can easily say this is the best movie of 2005. By the way, right now I'm too scared to go downstairs because I know smara is waiting to fold herself up them at me...... ugh
Posted: Fri, 18th Mar 2005, 11:28am

Post 2 of 53

Hybrid-Halo

Force: 9315 | Joined: 7th Feb 2003 | Posts: 3367

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 3 Pro User MuzzlePlug User PowerPlug User FXpreset Maker Windows User MacOS User

SuperUser

In reading this, I am greatly relaxed.

As a fellow Ring fan (origional japanese Ring) hearing you say that The Ring two is good is reassuring. I was going to go see it regardless, but now I expect to enjoy it. wink
Posted: Fri, 18th Mar 2005, 11:39am

Post 3 of 53

jstow222

Force: 970 | Joined: 28th Oct 2002 | Posts: 1146

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User

Gold Member

I prefer to rent horror movies, so I'll wait till then. But glad to know it's decent because I really enjoyed the first one.
Posted: Fri, 18th Mar 2005, 1:46pm

Post 4 of 53

er-no

Force: 9531 | Joined: 24th Sep 2002 | Posts: 3964

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 2 Pro User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User MacOS User

SuperUser

I thought The Grudge was quite good smile
Posted: Fri, 18th Mar 2005, 4:35pm

Post 5 of 53

FiveIronFrenzy

Force: 464 | Joined: 25th Dec 2003 | Posts: 438

Windows User

Gold Member

I am seeing it today. I am a huge fan of the film, I can't wait. Is it scarier than the first?
Posted: Fri, 18th Mar 2005, 6:37pm

Post 6 of 53

Waser

Force: 4731 | Joined: 7th Sep 2003 | Posts: 3111

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 2 Pro User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

SuperUser

in my opinion it is scarier. I feel that in The Ring, most of the horror came with the anticipation that you may see another messed up face, whereas The Ring Two has allot more genuienly scary moments, and there is a bit near the very end that made me feel terror for a solid 60 or so seconds. Not just a BAM and you're shocked, and afterwords you laft, but terror for a solid minute. Im gonna go see it again today smile
Posted: Fri, 18th Mar 2005, 6:37pm

Post 7 of 53

Aculag

Force: 8365 | Joined: 21st Jun 2002 | Posts: 8581

EffectsLab Lite User VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

er-no wrote:

I thought The Grudge was quite good smile
Yuck. Piece of trash, that was. I went and rented the Japanese original after watching the American version and was once again disappointed. Some movies were never meant to be good I guess.

I hope to see Ring 2 tonight.
Posted: Fri, 18th Mar 2005, 6:39pm

Post 8 of 53

Waser

Force: 4731 | Joined: 7th Sep 2003 | Posts: 3111

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 2 Pro User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

SuperUser

I thought the grudge was a really good "hey, lets go to the dollar cinema and have a laugh" movie
Posted: Fri, 18th Mar 2005, 6:58pm

Post 9 of 53

Hybrid-Halo

Force: 9315 | Joined: 7th Feb 2003 | Posts: 3367

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 3 Pro User MuzzlePlug User PowerPlug User FXpreset Maker Windows User MacOS User

SuperUser

er-no wrote:

I thought The Grudge was quite good smile
Yeah, I enjoyed it too. It was a vast improvement over the japanese origional.
Posted: Fri, 18th Mar 2005, 7:33pm

Post 10 of 53

Aculag

Force: 8365 | Joined: 21st Jun 2002 | Posts: 8581

EffectsLab Lite User VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

Hybrid-Halo wrote:

Yeah, I enjoyed it too. It was a vast improvement over the japanese origional.
I definitely agree with that, however it's not really saying much.
Posted: Sat, 19th Mar 2005, 3:07am

Post 11 of 53

Frozenpede

Force: 630 | Joined: 28th Jan 2004 | Posts: 1113

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User

Gold Member

ah, the ring can never compare to the great horror classic Darkness "the darkness eats my pencils" is the greatest line of all time
Posted: Sat, 19th Mar 2005, 3:11am

Post 12 of 53

Hybrid-Halo

Force: 9315 | Joined: 7th Feb 2003 | Posts: 3367

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 3 Pro User MuzzlePlug User PowerPlug User FXpreset Maker Windows User MacOS User

SuperUser

Aculag wrote:

Hybrid-Halo wrote:

Yeah, I enjoyed it too. It was a vast improvement over the japanese origional.
I definitely agree with that, however it's not really saying much.
True, the origional was dire. Absolutely dire, and though The Grudge is in many ways a well filmed movie, in other ways parts that should be terrifying are just plain unconvincing.. ah well.
Posted: Sat, 19th Mar 2005, 11:08pm

Post 13 of 53

Zea

Force: 1773 | Joined: 20th Feb 2005 | Posts: 742

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

I just saw the ring 2 today, and i thought it was very good. It was as good as the first at least, if not better. Im glad they got away from "the tape" as much as they did, cause that was getting repeditive. This one has a lot more history too it, which i like. As for the grudge, i thought it was a very well made movie, and there arent many out there. The sound is what made it the scary movie it was, so i give credit to that.
Posted: Sat, 19th Mar 2005, 11:10pm

Post 14 of 53

Evman

Force: 4382 | Joined: 25th Jan 2004 | Posts: 3609

VisionLab User VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

Frozenpede wrote:

ah, the ring can never compare to the great horror classic Darkness "the darkness eats my pencils" is the greatest line of all time
HA! THE LARVE ARE WATCHING US!!! AHHH! Wow that was an incredible movie.
Posted: Sun, 20th Mar 2005, 4:57am

Post 15 of 53

Serpent

Force: 5426 | Joined: 26th Dec 2003 | Posts: 6515

CompositeLab Pro User EffectsLab Pro User FXhome Movie Maker FXpreset Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

The Ring 2 was a very well made, good movie. It was scary, and a few OMG POP OUT things. It was not however as psychologically disturbing as the first one. I am not scared right now, where in the first one I was scared for days. Er, weeks, until this day actually.
Posted: Sun, 20th Mar 2005, 7:53am

Post 16 of 53

LtMcMurphy

Force: 1105 | Joined: 8th Jan 2003 | Posts: 583

Windows User

Member

aculag and me got back from seeing it (and making a movie of our own wink ) and in my opinion it sucked pretty bad. IF YOU ARE GOING TO HAVE A SIMPLE SHOT OF A DEER LOOKING AT SOMETHING OR WALKING AWAY WHY MAKE IT CGI???????????????? thats retarded man, same with the mother line, I thought this was a horror movie not a michael bay movie???

oh and by the way there were zero freaky parts and the BAM parts took way too long to come up and you already knew what the faces looked like so i wasnt scared period unlike the first one
Posted: Sun, 20th Mar 2005, 7:57am

Post 17 of 53

Aculag

Force: 8365 | Joined: 21st Jun 2002 | Posts: 8581

EffectsLab Lite User VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

Normally, since I have friends who work at a movie theater, I see my movies for free. Generally, that is a very good thing.

Tonight, at 7:00pm, I paid $8.75 for a ticket for The Ring Two. I want it back.

I am utterly appalled at the descision to have Hideo Nakata direct this film. Although, perhaps I should be more upset with the writer.

This mess of a film was not worth my money, or my time. It took everything that made the first one (the American version, mind you) good and threw it out to window to try too hard to scare people with dumb generic gimmick scares. The plot was ridiculous. I won't say too much for those of you who are into cheap scares, but it involves mostly Samara's Mother, and it's insanely moronic.

The Ring is one of my favorite movies, but The Ring Two is an utter disappointment. However, I don't think it should be really all too much of a surprise considering the fact that Ringu was also horrible, and it's the same director! Maybe Japanese films don't translate well into American films, or maybe it's just that Japanes directors don't do well directing American actors.

The Grudge is another example. Bad Japanese movie translates to bad American movie. Same director. The Ring: Bad Japanese movie translates into great American movie. American director! The Ring 2: Bad Sequel to great American movie based on bad Japanese movie.

Maybe I'm wrong about that, but it seems that way at the moment. I love Naomi Watts. I think she's a great actress and she's breathtakingly beautiful, but in this movie, when she was anything other than scared, she was bad. So apparently, not even a great actress can save a movie directed by a fool.

I could go on and on, but I won't. Just don't waste your money unless you hated the first Ring, and like cheesy gimmicky horror.
Posted: Sun, 20th Mar 2005, 8:26am

Post 18 of 53

Hybrid-Halo

Force: 9315 | Joined: 7th Feb 2003 | Posts: 3367

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 3 Pro User MuzzlePlug User PowerPlug User FXpreset Maker Windows User MacOS User

SuperUser

I think the Ring films rely on you being scared to enjoy them, and for an audience which is reasonably large that do find the film scary, I think it's excellent.

Few critics or friends of mine would say anything less than Ringu was one of the best horror films ever made. It took the genre in a new direction way before all this western crap kicked in but that's the reason I like it so much... I liked it alot because being totally honest.. it terrified me.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/ringu/

And though I didn't enjoy The Ring a great deal... I'm hoping the sequel is better because I think it's an idea that's worth making a good movie with. And if anyone can do it... in this case it's Nakata.
Posted: Sun, 20th Mar 2005, 9:00am

Post 19 of 53

Waser

Force: 4731 | Joined: 7th Sep 2003 | Posts: 3111

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 2 Pro User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

SuperUser

well it seems that allot of people who have seen the ring two have been dissapointed (a ton of my freinds called me upon exiting the theater to tell me it sucked), so I feel kind of silly. Still loved it though
Posted: Sun, 20th Mar 2005, 2:47pm

Post 20 of 53

Zea

Force: 1773 | Joined: 20th Feb 2005 | Posts: 742

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

I thought it was as good as the first, and for LtMcMurphy asking about the CGI deer, they used the CGI because:

(1) It's Hollywood and they could (Budget Supported it)
(2) They wanted to make it perfect, because before the shot they already have it how they want it, and they dont want to train a deer that might not turn out how they wanted it.
(3) If they use a real deer for it just walking and staring, then they use CGI deer for them attacking the car and stuff, itll look awkward to see two differnt looking deer in the same 30 seconds. They did it to make it blend.

I'd also say whether you guys think it was appropiate or not, the CGI in the ring for the deer looked very convincing, unlike some other CGI animals like some things in other scary movies.

Maybe this will clear some up?
Posted: Sun, 20th Mar 2005, 5:50pm

Post 21 of 53

Serpent

Force: 5426 | Joined: 26th Dec 2003 | Posts: 6515

CompositeLab Pro User EffectsLab Pro User FXhome Movie Maker FXpreset Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

Well Zea, that's the problem, CG and real life SHOULD blend together... If it doesn't than it is bad, unrealistic CG.
Posted: Sun, 20th Mar 2005, 6:15pm

Post 22 of 53

Waser

Force: 4731 | Joined: 7th Sep 2003 | Posts: 3111

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 2 Pro User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

SuperUser

I may be wrong, but I think that the director was trying to get a certain emotion out of the deer that real deer couldn't portray. I mean, at the fair, that one deer looks PISSED. probably wrong though
Posted: Sun, 20th Mar 2005, 8:18pm

Post 23 of 53

Aculag

Force: 8365 | Joined: 21st Jun 2002 | Posts: 8581

EffectsLab Lite User VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

Hybrid-Halo wrote:

And if anyone can do it... in this case it's Nakata.
In this case, you're way wrong. Heh.
Posted: Sun, 20th Mar 2005, 8:42pm

Post 24 of 53

Hybrid-Halo

Force: 9315 | Joined: 7th Feb 2003 | Posts: 3367

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 3 Pro User MuzzlePlug User PowerPlug User FXpreset Maker Windows User MacOS User

SuperUser

Aculag wrote:

Hybrid-Halo wrote:

And if anyone can do it... in this case it's Nakata.
In this case, you're way wrong. Heh.
After hearing that there's a CG Deer... quite possibly. I mean... if a director can't make a real dear look angry what can he do? smile
Posted: Sun, 20th Mar 2005, 8:43pm

Post 25 of 53

Rawree

Force: 3250 | Joined: 27th Jun 2002 | Posts: 1925

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

Zea wrote:


(3) If they use a real deer for it just walking and staring, then they use CGI deer for them attacking the car and stuff, itll look awkward to see two differnt looking deer in the same 30 seconds. They did it to make it blend.
Yeah, remember how they used a CG double of Keanu Reeves for all 3 Matrix movies so that it wouldn't look awkward when they would've changed to the real actor neutral

It doesn't matter how well it blends from one shot to the next, if it looks like CGI then someone hasn't done their job (if people will believe that a CGI spaceship is real then a deer standning about shouldn't be too hard).
The reason for more and more CGI is because it's becoming cheaper and cheaper and directors want everything perfect (right down to the way something blinks) and becausee they think it's easier to shoot an empty plate and tell someone else to worry about the shot (which it is)
Posted: Sun, 20th Mar 2005, 9:04pm

Post 26 of 53

Aculag

Force: 8365 | Joined: 21st Jun 2002 | Posts: 8581

EffectsLab Lite User VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

Hybrid-Halo wrote:

After hearing that there's a CG Deer... quite possibly. I mean... if a director can't make a real dear look angry what can he do? smile
I don't care about the deer so much as the rest of the movie. It's just not well directed. At all.
Posted: Sun, 20th Mar 2005, 9:12pm

Post 27 of 53

Hybrid-Halo

Force: 9315 | Joined: 7th Feb 2003 | Posts: 3367

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 3 Pro User MuzzlePlug User PowerPlug User FXpreset Maker Windows User MacOS User

SuperUser

I have to go watch it anyway, just to get some kind of closure. smile

The general verdict is that The Ring two sucks, but a similiar verdict was given to The Grudge and I enjoyed that alot. I'll post something when I've seen it.
Posted: Sun, 20th Mar 2005, 9:33pm

Post 28 of 53

Aculag

Force: 8365 | Joined: 21st Jun 2002 | Posts: 8581

EffectsLab Lite User VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

I think it will depend on taste. Considering that it doesn't have any of the subtlety and psychological scares as the first one, I think it will appeal to people who like more straight out horrors like perhaps The Exorcist, where the scary stuff is presented to you right there, and doesn't require any sort of afterthought.

But yes, let us know your verdict.
Posted: Sun, 20th Mar 2005, 9:53pm

Post 29 of 53

Frozenpede

Force: 630 | Joined: 28th Jan 2004 | Posts: 1113

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User

Gold Member

I get the idea that now days making a horror movie that people like is next to impossible, I mean lets recount the recent failures... Boogeyman, Darkness, The Grudge.....I havnt heard any opinions on White Noise...

what was the last horror movie that the general concencious was that it was good?
Posted: Mon, 21st Mar 2005, 1:24am

Post 30 of 53

Waser

Force: 4731 | Joined: 7th Sep 2003 | Posts: 3111

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 2 Pro User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

SuperUser

Hybrid-Halo wrote:

The general verdict is that The Ring two sucks.
dont listen to anyone but me hybrid, i LOVED ringu wink
Posted: Mon, 21st Mar 2005, 3:58am

Post 31 of 53

Aculag

Force: 8365 | Joined: 21st Jun 2002 | Posts: 8581

EffectsLab Lite User VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

Frozenpede wrote:

what was the last horror movie that the general concencious was that it was good?
The Ring.
Posted: Mon, 21st Mar 2005, 8:30am

Post 32 of 53

Bryce007

Force: 1910 | Joined: 5th Apr 2003 | Posts: 2609

VideoWrap User Windows User

Gold Member

I Thought the grudge was far superior to the ring in pretty much all regards, save acting. The grudge had a much more brooding and nasty demeanor and the look of samara isn't nearly as bizzare and disconcerting as what the grudge had waiting for you (the first time you watch it, that is). The tone and cinematography was much more effective in the grudge imo, however, the ring had less hangups that are so prevalent in horror movies these days such as "walking into obviously bad situation just out of curiousity" that made they're way into the grudge. but, since the only parts in a horror movie that have made me jump pretty much ever are:

1. the ring, when they zoomed to the nastys faces and when samara zooms out of the tv.
2. all of the intended jump scenes in the grudge

3. the darkhouse/camera flash scene in saw.


It kinda makes me think they need to start making these movies 3d in order to truly scare the hell out of people, thanks to alot of idea's being used thoroughly by any of the non-slasher movies to come out recently. I certainly think even if a horror movie sucked, i bet it would suck less in 3d, at least then it would be engaging you at a more visceral level.
Posted: Tue, 22nd Mar 2005, 2:47am

Post 33 of 53

Frozenpede

Force: 630 | Joined: 28th Jan 2004 | Posts: 1113

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User

Gold Member

Frankenstein use to be the top dog....people just dont scare as easy no more.....shame....shame
Posted: Tue, 22nd Mar 2005, 7:33pm

Post 34 of 53

Hybrid-Halo

Force: 9315 | Joined: 7th Feb 2003 | Posts: 3367

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 3 Pro User MuzzlePlug User PowerPlug User FXpreset Maker Windows User MacOS User

SuperUser

Funnily enough the only film I remember actively terrifying me for a long long time was E.T. When he got ill and all pastey white. I can't imagine anything more horrifying than hearing scraping under your bed and looking down to seeing a pastey white E.T. Moaning.

But enough of that, Ring Two isn't out here yet as far as I know so I won't be able to watch it, though not that my opinion matters a great deal as I was a fan of the japanese origionals and I didn't think the western remake was terrible though it is undoubtedly a gaping wound that Nakata would have to have worked hard to sew up.

I think things would have been very different had Nakata also directed the origional, in which case I believe The Ring would have far excelled The Grudge. But as it stands, The Grudge glows with origionality and improvement over "Juon" whereas The Ring was a kind if let down to Ringu fans.

I still can't wait to watch Ring 2 anyway. I believe you're right Aculag... it's some kind of taste thing. I've watched movies that others have enjoyed greatly because they terrified them... and not been phased by them at all. So I imagine it's the same for people that aren't genuinely frightened by the Ring concept.
Posted: Tue, 22nd Mar 2005, 8:27pm

Post 35 of 53

Joshwa

Force: 495 | Joined: 16th Feb 2004 | Posts: 236

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User

Gold Member

I just uploaded the video tape from Ringu to putfile if any wants to see. Not scary, just werid. I had to compress it from 30mb, which took a while as every program i tried to open it with crashed! Spooky burst

http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=ring30
Posted: Tue, 22nd Mar 2005, 8:29pm

Post 36 of 53

Waser

Force: 4731 | Joined: 7th Sep 2003 | Posts: 3111

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 2 Pro User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

SuperUser

the thing i loved about the ringu tape is that it was more relevant to the story. and that odd squeak in the backround is just spooky
Posted: Tue, 22nd Mar 2005, 9:29pm

Post 37 of 53

Xcession

Force: 42802 | Joined: 21st Mar 2001 | Posts: 1964

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 3 Pro User Windows User

SuperUser

Rating: +1

Japanese horror and hollywood horror are hard to compare. In fact japanese films in general are quite hard to compare to more westernised remakes or western films as a whole.

From the comments so far, there has been quite a lot of appreciation for outright scariness. There have been comments saying that in effect, The Ring pulled its punches, The Grudge was scarier, Ringu wasn't scary at all, etc, etc.

In my experience, Japanese horror rarely panders to the frivolous western requirement of packing enough predictably scary/gory shots into a movie, as to give the audience their money's worth. Thats not why you make movies. I'm not saying there aren't crappy, hollywoodised, japanese movies *coughBR2*, but there are always exceptions.

The fickle demands of western consumer culture seem to have eclipsed the fact that films are an art. Just because you don't like Picasso doesn't mean he sucks. Its far more likely that - in fact - you simply can't/don't/won't appreciate the message, heritage, talent or cultural climate in which it was originally drawn/painted/written/performed/filmed.

Mercifully there are some parts of the world where cinema seems to still be about that. Or was until recently, at least. In my opinion Japan exemplifies this with things like Ringu.

Please stop comparing things which are arguably as similar as chalk and cheese. I liked The Ring, but still far prefer Ringu - its a whole different ball game.
Posted: Tue, 22nd Mar 2005, 10:27pm

Post 38 of 53

Atom

Force: 4300 | Joined: 9th May 2004 | Posts: 7014

EffectsLab Lite User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Ring 2: 2 words

Peesa Crap
Posted: Tue, 22nd Mar 2005, 11:35pm

Post 39 of 53

Waser

Force: 4731 | Joined: 7th Sep 2003 | Posts: 3111

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 2 Pro User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

SuperUser

Rating: +1

atom, your skill in gungan poetics blows my mind.

Posted: Wed, 23rd Mar 2005, 1:06am

Post 40 of 53

Aculag

Force: 8365 | Joined: 21st Jun 2002 | Posts: 8581

EffectsLab Lite User VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

Xcession wrote:

Please stop comparing things which are arguably as similar as chalk and cheese. I liked The Ring, but still far prefer Ringu - its a whole different ball game.
Again, it all comes down to specific tastes in the end. I'm sure not all Japanese people think Ringu is a great film, and I'm sure there are Japanese people who love American films. Taste taste taste.
Posted: Wed, 23rd Mar 2005, 1:27am

Post 41 of 53

Mellifluous

Force: 5604 | Joined: 6th Oct 2002 | Posts: 3782

EffectsLab Pro User Windows User

Gold Member

It is a matter of taste. I personally thought Ringu was the better movie, the Hollywood Ring overstated everything, & the girl was not scary at all in it. On an enjoyment side, though, I've rewatched The Ring a few times whilst I can't really feel I'd rewatch Ringu. And I tried to watch the sequel & prequel but I lost interest after about 30 mins in each.
Posted: Wed, 23rd Mar 2005, 4:11am

Post 42 of 53

Frozenpede

Force: 630 | Joined: 28th Jan 2004 | Posts: 1113

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User

Gold Member

Xcession I must say......wtf? if you dont like it....its not good. Why make a movie that dosnt entertain? art isnt art just because you say it is. Slapping speghetti on a canvas is just that. The entertainment industry is meant to entertain. Think about it, you make a car to get someone somewhere, you make a chair so people dont have to stand all the time, you make a road so people can drive somewhere and not pop their tires on sharp rocks......you make a movie so someone is entertained, if they arnt...then why make it?
Posted: Wed, 23rd Mar 2005, 4:30am

Post 43 of 53

Waser

Force: 4731 | Joined: 7th Sep 2003 | Posts: 3111

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 2 Pro User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

SuperUser

I think george lucas would like to have a word with you, frozen


you want my advice? bring a saftey.

many filmmakers make films to suit their own needs, and people end up liking them.
Posted: Wed, 23rd Mar 2005, 4:41am

Post 44 of 53

Frozenpede

Force: 630 | Joined: 28th Jan 2004 | Posts: 1113

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User

Gold Member

haha, well sure, people of comon agreements on what is entertaining....but Xcession seamed to be making the argument "just cuz no one likes it dosnt mean its bad"
Posted: Wed, 23rd Mar 2005, 5:57am

Post 45 of 53

Waser

Force: 4731 | Joined: 7th Sep 2003 | Posts: 3111

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 2 Pro User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

SuperUser

actually the only thing I disagree on with xcession is that BRII ROCKED!!!!2!!12121!!!! DID YOU SEE THAT PART WHERE THE J-ROCKERS SHOT THE GRENADE LAUNCHERS BACK 2 BAK?!??/!? YES!

really, though, it seemed that xcession was more saying that some people won't like a movie because they don't appreciate the style of the source, or at least that's what i gathered
Posted: Wed, 23rd Mar 2005, 9:46am

Post 46 of 53

Xcession

Force: 42802 | Joined: 21st Mar 2001 | Posts: 1964

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 3 Pro User Windows User

SuperUser

Amusingly that is totally the opposite of what i said, Fronzepede.

Of course there are sucky film-makers - just like there are sucky artists. I mentionned Picasso because since we're clearly talking about two non-sucky film-makers who are undeniably geniuses in their own, i thought i would alude to another artist who was also brilliant but not liked by all.

We're comparing two unavoidably excellent films which are both respected, not one film which is excellent and one which is dire. What i'm saying, quite obviously is...oh look at that...oh great...nice...you've made me cut and paste
just because you don't like Picasso doesn't mean he sucks
If no one likes it, i'd agree, whatever it is probably does suck. This conversation doesn't cover that though, as both films are excellent.
Posted: Wed, 23rd Mar 2005, 6:22pm

Post 47 of 53

Frozenpede

Force: 630 | Joined: 28th Jan 2004 | Posts: 1113

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User

Gold Member

now I see what your saying.
Posted: Wed, 23rd Mar 2005, 6:54pm

Post 48 of 53

boffa86

Force: 890 | Joined: 18th Jun 2003 | Posts: 641

EffectsLab Lite User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

The Tape
Posted: Sun, 3rd Apr 2005, 2:51am

Post 49 of 53

er-no

Force: 9531 | Joined: 24th Sep 2002 | Posts: 3964

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 2 Pro User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User MacOS User

SuperUser

Just got back from seeing this in the cinemaaaaa.

Was alrite, some really good visual stuff in the film and well, I didn't expect too much but was definetely worth the watch.

All its led me to want to do is create a spoof film...

...hmmmm
Posted: Sun, 3rd Apr 2005, 2:54am

Post 50 of 53

Hybrid-Halo

Force: 9315 | Joined: 7th Feb 2003 | Posts: 3367

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 3 Pro User MuzzlePlug User PowerPlug User FXpreset Maker Windows User MacOS User

SuperUser

er-no wrote:

Just got back from seeing this in the cinemaaaaa.

Was alrite, some really good visual stuff in the film and well, I didn't expect too much but was definetely worth the watch.

All its led me to want to do is create a spoof film...

...hmmmm
To those that wouldn't have guessed, I watched Ring Two with er-no and agree with his opinion.

Some interesting visual effects/slants and working with the storyline mixed with genuinely spooky moments worked quite well I thought, and the cinematography wasn't half bad either.

all in all The Ring Two successfully stitches up the bleeding wound that The Ring struck to my heart. let's hope no infections arise in the future.
Posted: Sun, 3rd Apr 2005, 2:59am

Post 51 of 53

er-no

Force: 9531 | Joined: 24th Sep 2002 | Posts: 3964

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 2 Pro User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User MacOS User

SuperUser

Hybrid-Halo wrote:


To those that wouldn't have guessed, I watched Ring Two with er-no and agree with his opinion.

The Ring Two successfully stitches up the bleeding wound that The Ring struck to my heart. let's hope no infections arise in the future.
There is a DVD that if you watch it... within seven minutes you die...

The Band
Posted: Sun, 3rd Apr 2005, 10:00am

Post 52 of 53

devilskater

Force: 581 | Joined: 27th Jun 2002 | Posts: 890

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User

Gold Member

boffa86 wrote:

The Tape
That is sooo.....I dont want to watch it...it freaks me out.
Well the Ring 2 was kinda cool.... I got scared a couple of times...and it all still haunts me. BUT... the chick was so hot..that I didnt feel as scared as in The Ring.

So I am not gonna watch that tape dude, sry.
Anybody else seen it?

Cheers,
devilskater

Last edited Sun, 3rd Apr 2005, 3:11pm; edited 1 times in total.

Posted: Sun, 3rd Apr 2005, 1:20pm

Post 53 of 53

Sollthar

Force: 13360 | Joined: 30th Oct 2001 | Posts: 6094

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 2 Pro User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User MacOS User

SuperUser

I thought it was okay. But by far not as good as the one by gore verbinski.