You are viewing an archive of the old fxhome.com forums. The community has since moved to hitfilm.com.

Lowering the price

Posted: Sun, 20th Mar 2005, 12:56pm

Post 1 of 17

tercero

Force: 0 | Joined: 7th Jan 2005 | Posts: 7

Member

I wrote a couple of months back that I have been visiting the site over the past couple of years, waiting for the release of AlamDV3, and I kept seeing the "coming soon". I'm curious though. You charge quite a bit for AlamDV2, and since according to any business model, you've gone through your peak customers and customer fatigue has probably come (and gone), why you haven't lowered the price for software that is...well. Really very dated.

/I'd prefer that a moderator or product developer answer this question.
Posted: Sun, 20th Mar 2005, 1:58pm

Post 2 of 17

Mellifluous

Force: 5604 | Joined: 6th Oct 2002 | Posts: 3782

EffectsLab Pro User Windows User

Gold Member

Rating: +1

I'm not a mod, but yes AlamDV2 is dated & AlamDV3 won't - it'll be like timetravelling 100 years into the future razz People who buy AlamDV2 now not only get that dated but great program also get AlamDV3 free. Considering CSB plan to charge more for AlamDV3, isn't this an incentive enough? And in a way by doing this, CSB are doing exactly what you're asking.
Posted: Sun, 20th Mar 2005, 3:11pm

Post 3 of 17

tercero

Force: 0 | Joined: 7th Jan 2005 | Posts: 7

Member

Mellifluous wrote:

I'm not a mod, but yes AlamDV2 is dated & AlamDV3 won't - it'll be like timetravelling 100 years into the future razz People who buy AlamDV2 now not only get that dated but great program also get AlamDV3 free. Considering CSB plan to charge more for AlamDV3, isn't this an incentive enough? And in a way by doing this, CSB are doing exactly what you're asking.
Not to be rude, but again. I'd prefer an answer from the sites owners. Speculation isn't helpful. It's just opinion.


//thanks.
Posted: Sun, 20th Mar 2005, 3:21pm

Post 4 of 17

Rawree

Force: 3250 | Joined: 27th Jun 2002 | Posts: 1925

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

If you go to the Chatroom then you're more likely to get a quick and direct response from CSB but I'd say that Mel's pretty much covered that the price doesn't go down because they're offering a (more expensive) program instead of a reduction in price.
Posted: Sun, 20th Mar 2005, 3:35pm

Post 5 of 17

tercero

Force: 0 | Joined: 7th Jan 2005 | Posts: 7

Member

Rawree wrote:

If you go to the Chatroom then you're more likely to get a quick and direct response from CSB but I'd say that Mel's pretty much covered that the price doesn't go down because they're offering a (more expensive) program instead of a reduction in price.
Thanks Rawree. I'll give it a try (chatroom)....
Posted: Sun, 20th Mar 2005, 6:16pm

Post 6 of 17

Waser

Force: 4731 | Joined: 7th Sep 2003 | Posts: 3111

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 2 Pro User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

SuperUser

Rating: +1

quite a bit? ha!
Posted: Sun, 20th Mar 2005, 11:04pm

Post 7 of 17

raider

Force: 774 | Joined: 25th Mar 2002 | Posts: 360

Windows User

Gold Member

I think their target market wasn't really intended to be high school students. That's just my opinion and guess really. I would think it would be to mature short filmmakers or a more professional venue. Windows movie maker 2 - there's your inexpensiveness. You really have to research the cost to specification ratio.
Posted: Sun, 20th Mar 2005, 11:44pm

Post 8 of 17

LilCaesars

Force: 480 | Joined: 27th Dec 2004 | Posts: 530

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

We know of a few schools who use our programs which is cool, and we hope to make this one of the biggest markets for us in the future.
Yeah so I think they did intend for high school students. I do think that the price is very reasonable though. If you look around in the market for other products this is well below their price range. Just do a little bit of work and you can buy it easy.
Posted: Sun, 20th Mar 2005, 11:51pm

Post 9 of 17

Serpent

Force: 5426 | Joined: 26th Dec 2003 | Posts: 6515

CompositeLab Pro User EffectsLab Pro User FXhome Movie Maker FXpreset Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

I think their target audience is, umm, people that are into film...
Posted: Mon, 21st Mar 2005, 12:52am

Post 10 of 17

DPUMA8

Force: 230 | Joined: 1st Dec 2004 | Posts: 181

EffectsLab Lite User

Gold Member

Wow. $93.98 for a special effects program? That is too expensive????? I really haven't seen any other programs that have a price of $100. Most of the ones I see are $300+.

With the low price that I perceive, I don't see any slowdown for people buying these products because I can't find any other similar programs that can compete in this price range
Posted: Mon, 21st Mar 2005, 1:13am

Post 11 of 17

Hybrid-Halo

Force: 9315 | Joined: 7th Feb 2003 | Posts: 3367

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 3 Pro User MuzzlePlug User PowerPlug User FXpreset Maker Windows User MacOS User

SuperUser

Though I can't speak on behalf of the company itself, I think I'm in a position to re-affirm what Mellifluous said, he is indeed totally correct.
The idea is basically, to remove AlamDV2 from existence. When AlamDV3 comes out the AlamDV2 as you currently know it will cease to exist. It will not be purchaseable. Why?
Simply because CSB don't believe it represents the level of professionalism which they are now reaching with the new programs. AlamDV3 isn't just an upgrade, it's a whole new ball game and speaking as one of the program beta testers... I have to say it's excellent.
The reason the price for AlamDV2 hasn't gone down, is because of the free upgrade to AlamDV3 which upon release will sell for a price closer to £69.99. After which AlamDV2 will dissappear.

I'd also like to take this time to address some other things said in this thread.

tercero wrote:

since according to any business model, you've gone through your peak customers and customer fatigue has probably come(and gone).
In terms of being a company, CSB hasn't even started. The current products are not termed as being "final". Even Chromanator is currently considered an "unfinished work". I think you'll find the business model doesn't actually begin until all three programs, AlamDV3, Chromanator and Digigrade become final that things start moving.

raider wrote:

I think their target market wasn't really intended to be high school students.
Absolutely wrong. smile Though It's of course not limited to that, it is CSB intention to mark out their products as "excellent software, excellent price" and to get both educational establishments, young film-makers and more professional studios interested. Though at Current AlamDV2 is pretty much a strictly amateur effects program. AlamDV3 is veering much closer to being a professional program which could fit into any film studios budget.

I really can't enforce enough, that where things are now is simply the tip of the iceberg. All spin aside, things are only just firing up and the site already has some 21,000 members.

Are you excited yet? Because hell... I am.
Posted: Mon, 21st Mar 2005, 1:43am

Post 12 of 17

tercero

Force: 0 | Joined: 7th Jan 2005 | Posts: 7

Member

Rating: -2

Thanks for the answers. Peoples. But again, I'm not looking for any sort of input from people who either own the program or are going to buy it in the future.
I was asking the owners of CSB c.o.b. as FXHome why they haven't lowered the price considering they haven't brought a new program to market in 3 + years.
Please refrain from posting opinions and conjecture if you would.

Thanks, it's appreciated.

Tercero.
Posted: Mon, 21st Mar 2005, 2:22am

Post 13 of 17

Joshua Davies

Force: 25400 | Joined: 21st Mar 2001 | Posts: 3029

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 5 Pro User MuzzlePlug User PowerPlug User PhotoKey 3 Plug-in User FXpreset Maker Windows User MacOS User

FXhome Team Member

Why exactly would we lower the price? I don't really know any software which drops in price as it gets older, other than computer games, and our software was priced too low to begin with.

The price of the software will increase when AlamDV3 is released. AlamDV2 will remain at its current low price until that release AND you get the update to AlamDV3 for free - seems like a good deal to me. Almost too good.
Posted: Mon, 21st Mar 2005, 2:41am

Post 14 of 17

Pooky

Force: 4834 | Joined: 8th Jul 2003 | Posts: 5913

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User MacOS User FXhome Movie Maker

Gold Member

Indeed think of it as buying AlamDV3 for cheap with AlamDV2 as a bonus smile
Posted: Mon, 21st Mar 2005, 2:52am

Post 15 of 17

tercero

Force: 0 | Joined: 7th Jan 2005 | Posts: 7

Member

schwar wrote:

Why exactly would we lower the price? I don't really know any software which drops in price as it gets older, other than computer games, and our software was priced too low to begin with.

The price of the software will increase when AlamDV3 is released. AlamDV2 will remain at its current low price until that release AND you get the update to AlamDV3 for free - seems like a good deal to me. Almost too good.
Thanks for the answer Schwar. It's appreciated.
Posted: Mon, 21st Mar 2005, 2:53am

Post 16 of 17

Joshua Davies

Force: 25400 | Joined: 21st Mar 2001 | Posts: 3029

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 5 Pro User MuzzlePlug User PowerPlug User PhotoKey 3 Plug-in User FXpreset Maker Windows User MacOS User

FXhome Team Member

smile
Posted: Mon, 21st Mar 2005, 4:20am

Post 17 of 17

Steeb

Force: 1650 | Joined: 14th Nov 2004 | Posts: 217

VisionLab User Windows User

Gold Member

tercero wrote:

Thanks for the answers. Peoples. But again, I'm not looking for any sort of input from people who either own the program or are going to buy it in the future.
I was asking the owners of CSB c.o.b. as FXHome why they haven't lowered the price considering they haven't brought a new program to market in 3 + years.
Please refrain from posting opinions and conjecture if you would.

Thanks, it's appreciated.

Tercero.
When you post a question in the forum, you're going to get responses from members of the community. Perhaps you should e-mail CSB directly next time you have a question that you don't want us to reply to. Also, as Rawree said, you could ask them directly in the chatroom.

As to lowering the price, you can get a 5% discount off of the already low price of AlamDV2 by purchasing Chromanator - you'll still be money ahead compared to the closest competition and you'll end up with three kickass programs.