You are viewing an archive of the old fxhome.com forums. The community has since moved to hitfilm.com.

I saw Star Wars 3 and I am confused. Explanation? Spoilers

Posted: Fri, 3rd Jun 2005, 12:40am

Post 1 of 46

DPUMA8

Force: 230 | Joined: 1st Dec 2004 | Posts: 181

EffectsLab Lite User

Gold Member

I saw this movie last night and it was entertaining but I did not understand much of it. I thought it would tie in the stories but for me it didn't. Here are the things I don't understand.

1. Queen Amadala-Now her name is Padme and she is a regular citizen. What happened to her old name and her position as queen? What about her twins that were with her in episode 1?
2. Who are the bad guys? I see that there is the republic and there is the empire.
3. What is all the fighting about? How does this war start? It seems that both sides are fighting for peace. Why don't they both just stop?
4. Why is that robot general guy coughing so much? Did I miss something from an earlier episode?
5. Darth Vader was promised that he can prevent someone from dying. What happened? Padme dies. I thought that crossing over to the dark side would prevent her death.
6. What is the Background of Han Solo and how did he hook up with Chewbacca?
7. What happens between 3 and 4? In 3 luke is born. In 4, he is grown up. What happens inbetween these 2 episodes.
8. What are the books like? How many are there?

Well, as you can see I am not a die hard fan like many that are out there so any help would be nice. I liked the movies and I thought that all 6 would tie in and make 1 giant story but it seems like a long timeline movie where only certain parts are shown making it impossible for a guy like me to know what is going on.
Posted: Fri, 3rd Jun 2005, 12:59am

Post 2 of 46

LtMcMurphy

Force: 1105 | Joined: 8th Jan 2003 | Posts: 583

Windows User

Member

Rating: +3/-1

i have several questions for you:

1. did you see all the movies?

if you have maybe you need to pay more attention because most of this is explained
Posted: Fri, 3rd Jun 2005, 1:02am

Post 3 of 46

Steeb

Force: 1650 | Joined: 14th Nov 2004 | Posts: 217

VisionLab User Windows User

Gold Member

First off, I would suggest going back and watching the films again. It will help a bunch. But here's what I can come up with...

1. Her name was always Padme Amidala. Her position as Queen was elected and her term was over. She became a senator after that, at the request of the new queen. She had decoys when she was queen - handmaidens who looked similar and were basically bullet-catchers (except they don't use bullets.) It didn't really address her decoys after the one who was killed at the beginning of Ep II.
2. The Republic becomes an Empire under Palpatine. He was controlling both sides - he was in charge of Dooku and the Separatists, as well as being Supreme Chancellor (and then Emperor) of the republic. To be more general, the Sith were the bad guys.
3. The war was started by Palpatine manipulating the leaders of different planets. The plan had been in motion for years (it takes a while to grow clones, even ones with accelerated life cycles.) Basically, Palpy caused a rift in the republic, putting the Separatists (who he controlled through Dooku) in one corner and the Republic (which he was in charge of, thanks to the easily manipulated Jar Jar nominating him to receive increased executive powers.) He clouded the future with the Dark Side so that the Jedi wouldn't catch on, even with a Sith Lord right under their noses.
4. General Grievous is a cyborg. I assume that the second season of the Clone Wars will answer this, but I really don't know why he was sick.
5. Anakin was manipulated emotionally by Palpatine and was told that to get him to cross to the dark side. Palpatine used Anakin's weakness - his love for Padme.
6. ?? Someone else will have to help with this one.
7. The Empire grows, star systems are oppressed, people get restless and form a Rebellion. Princess Leia learns some funky hair-dos. Other stuff happens...
8. Haven't read any of them except for the Original Trilogy. They are excellent and fill in many blanks.

[/geek rant]

razz

Edit: As McMurphy said, most of this is explained pretty much outright. Watch them again! biggrin

Last edited Fri, 3rd Jun 2005, 1:49am; edited 2 times in total.

Posted: Fri, 3rd Jun 2005, 1:02am

Post 4 of 46

Pooky

Force: 4834 | Joined: 8th Jul 2003 | Posts: 5913

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User MacOS User FXhome Movie Maker

Gold Member

Hehe, you seem to get confused easily smile Anyway

1. Queen Amidala and Padme are not the same people. Padme is her maid or something... I think.

2. Republic were good guys, but the emperor became supreme chacellor and turned it into bad guys too (in EPIII he declares it an empire, so it becomes the empire instead of the republic). The bad guys from the start are the Trade Federation (droid army).

3. In EPI, an unknown sith lord (turns out to be chancellor/empreror palpatine) tells the Trade Federation to attack Naboo. This starts a war between the Republic and the Trade Federation, known as the clone wars because of the Clone Army that the Republic creates. However, the twist is that Chancellor/Emperor Palpatine becomes leader of both sides, without anyone knowing till it's too late. Palpatine is a bad guy, by the way.

4. Watch the Clone Wars cartoon, it has something to do with Mace Windu and gas while Grievous kidnaps Palpatine.

5.Darth Vader does indeed seem to get power over life and death or something, but he is so convinced that Padme will die that he ends up killing her through the force.

6. No idea, read the books or something.

7. Luke grows up... Obi-Wan and Yoda are in hiding... Empire rules the galaxy, but a rebel force rises. Yeah.

8. There are probably hundreds of books, about pretty much everything.
Posted: Fri, 3rd Jun 2005, 1:16am

Post 5 of 46

Evman

Force: 4382 | Joined: 25th Jan 2004 | Posts: 3609

VisionLab User VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

pooky wrote:



1. Queen Amidala and Padme are not the same people. Padme is her maid or something... I think.

ltmcmurphy wrote:

i have several questions for you:

1. did you see all the movies?

if you have maybe you need to pay more attention because most of this is explained
Posted: Fri, 3rd Jun 2005, 1:56am

Post 6 of 46

DigiSm89

Force: 815 | Joined: 2nd Jun 2002 | Posts: 1898

Windows User

Member

pooky wrote:

Hehe, you seem to get confused easily smile Anyway

1. Queen Amidala and Padme are not the same people. Padme is her maid or something... I think.

2. Republic were good guys, but the emperor became supreme chacellor and turned it into bad guys too (in EPIII he declares it an empire, so it becomes the empire instead of the republic). The bad guys from the start are the Trade Federation (droid army).

3. In EPI, an unknown sith lord (turns out to be chancellor/empreror palpatine) tells the Trade Federation to attack Naboo. This starts a war between the Republic and the Trade Federation, known as the clone wars because of the Clone Army that the Republic creates. However, the twist is that Chancellor/Emperor Palpatine becomes leader of both sides, without anyone knowing till it's too late. Palpatine is a bad guy, by the way.

4. Watch the Clone Wars cartoon, it has something to do with Mace Windu and gas while Grievous kidnaps Palpatine.

5.Darth Vader does indeed seem to get power over life and death or something, but he is so convinced that Padme will die that he ends up killing her through the force.

6. No idea, read the books or something.

7. Luke grows up... Obi-Wan and Yoda are in hiding... Empire rules the galaxy, but a rebel force rises. Yeah.

8. There are probably hundreds of books, about pretty much everything.
1. Er... IN EP1, the maid you are talking about (I think) is the pretend Queen that exists throughout most of the movie (tatooine, naboo, etc). Padme Amidala pretends to be Queen Amidala's maid, however, upon meeting with the gungans, to establish an honest alliance, she reveals herself as the true Queen Amidala.


5. I'll go into a bit more detail into this. Anakin is also convinced by Palpatine that "Good" and "evil" are just mere perspectives. What the jedis tell him as the "good" side of the force is not necessarily true considering the jedis are telling him this. Because of this confusion of what is really good and what's really evil, the task of seducting Anakin to the dark side is a rather easy task. To show that the "dark" side of the force is actually the "good" side, Palpatine uses the "ability to create life" as a method to show that the Sith aren't evil and aren't selfish; rather, they are "selfless". I use the word "selfless" because the morality of the Jedi are well clarified because they are often referred to as "selfish". (Anakin even retorts this statement in the movie when Palpatine is trying to convince him otherwise).

Why do I elaborate so much into this? Because people are often confused as to how quickly Anakin turns to the dark side: "Nooooooooo! What have I done?.....I will do anything you say..master." The reason they believe that this change is too quick is because they aren't really paying attention to the dialogues of the movie and are instead too fascinated and too immersed into the constant live action and mesmorizing sequences throughout the movie.



DigiSm89
Posted: Fri, 3rd Jun 2005, 2:12am

Post 7 of 46

Steeb

Force: 1650 | Joined: 14th Nov 2004 | Posts: 217

VisionLab User Windows User

Gold Member

DigiSm89 wrote:

I'll go into a bit more detail into this. Anakin is also convinced by Palpatine that "Good" and "evil" are just mere perspectives. What the jedis tell him as the "good" side of the force is not necessarily true considering the jedis are telling him this. Because of this confusion of what is really good and what's really evil, the task of seducting Anakin to the dark side is a rather easy task. To show that the "dark" side of the force is actually the "good" side, Palpatine uses the "ability to create life" as a method to show that the Sith aren't evil and aren't selfish; rather, they are "selfless".
Agreed. Also, by planting into Anakin's head that Palpy was the only person with the knowledge to save Padme, he gave Anakin strong motivation to keep Palpy safe (or at least alive.) It worked well enough to get Anakin to lop off Mace's arm.

By the way, I strongly believe that it would have been a much more powerful (not to mention believable) scene had Mace quoted Ezekiel 25:17 as he was standing over Palpy. That would have put the movie over the top. That, and Mace sprouting a giant Jerri curl when Palpy zaps him with the lightning. I mean, if Palpy's face can kinda melt when he gets zapped, why can't Mace sprout hair?

Last edited Fri, 3rd Jun 2005, 5:25am; edited 2 times in total.

Posted: Fri, 3rd Jun 2005, 2:27am

Post 8 of 46

Serpent

Force: 5426 | Joined: 26th Dec 2003 | Posts: 6515

CompositeLab Pro User EffectsLab Pro User FXhome Movie Maker FXpreset Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

Tut tut tut Pooky... wink

Anyways, the VAder Life/Death thing... Palpy said that those powers are possible, but that does not gaurantee he will learn those powers. He was too late anyways.
Posted: Fri, 3rd Jun 2005, 2:38am

Post 9 of 46

LtMcMurphy

Force: 1105 | Joined: 8th Jan 2003 | Posts: 583

Windows User

Member

ive read a bunch of the star wars books and many of them looking back are horrible and totally not worth the read, stick with good books like THE COUNT OF MONTE CRISTO and stay away from fan fiction
Posted: Fri, 3rd Jun 2005, 5:19am

Post 10 of 46

Waser

Force: 4731 | Joined: 7th Sep 2003 | Posts: 3111

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 2 Pro User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

SuperUser

Rating: +1

1.A wildly disputed part of the star wars mythos people do not know that Padme is actually a Gungan spy who just looks allot like the Queen. This is most apparent in the mustafar scene.
2. The bad guys are infact an empire, but not the "galactic empire" but rather the Teek empire. Watch Caravan of Courage and The Battle for Endor to learn more about this back story.
3. It would seem so, wouldn't it? If you have seen the star wars holiday special (which I have to assume you have) there is a key scene in where Bea Arthur has an argument with a rodian in the cantina. This rodian was a key player in the senate, and bea arthur was a widely known seperatist advocate.
4. In episode II there is a scene in which Grevious (robot general guy) is watching the holonet, and sees an anti-death stick ad. Grevious finds the ad so annoying that he takes up smoking, and developes a cough after the three years in between the episodes.
5. Ah, what you didn't realize is that Padme did survive, as Anakin saved her when he broke free from the table. He stumbled around a bit because he was consentrating so hard. So who was in the coffin? That dirty gungan spy! Padme later took on the guise of, yup, you guessed it, Bea Arthur! (see how it's all coming together?)
6. Han Solo is actually in Episode III with Chewbacca. His real name, Tarful, was dropped, after him and Chewie (formally Chewbacca) leave Kyssyckykcyck to Tatooine.
7. Nothing actually happens in the 19 year gap here. I always found it odd that literally nothing happens. Nothing.
8. There are 155 (official) books to be percise, and i have read about 100 of them (I have all 155, just haven't found the time to read the last 55). These books are very strange, and are much more erotic than the films. My favorite book: Book #44 -The Wampan Empire vs. Dagobah-
Posted: Fri, 3rd Jun 2005, 6:01am

Post 11 of 46

Atom

Force: 4300 | Joined: 9th May 2004 | Posts: 7014

EffectsLab Lite User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

DPUMA8 wrote:

I saw this movie last night and it was entertaining but I did not understand much of it. I thought it would tie in the stories but for me it didn't. Here are the things I don't understand.

1. Queen Amadala-Now her name is Padme and she is a regular citizen. What happened to her old name and her position as queen? What about her twins that were with her in episode 1?
2. Who are the bad guys? I see that there is the republic and there is the empire.
3. What is all the fighting about? How does this war start? It seems that both sides are fighting for peace. Why don't they both just stop?
4. Why is that robot general guy coughing so much? Did I miss something from an earlier episode?
5. Darth Vader was promised that he can prevent someone from dying. What happened? Padme dies. I thought that crossing over to the dark side would prevent her death.
6. What is the Background of Han Solo and how did he hook up with Chewbacca?
7. What happens between 3 and 4? In 3 luke is born. In 4, he is grown up. What happens inbetween these 2 episodes.
8. What are the books like? How many are there?

Well, as you can see I am not a die hard fan like many that are out there so any help would be nice. I liked the movies and I thought that all 6 would tie in and make 1 giant story but it seems like a long timeline movie where only certain parts are shown making it impossible for a guy like me to know what is going on.
Whoa.

Have seen ANY of the movies? Not very perceptive, if you have.

Everybody's pretty much answered you. (I especially like some of Waser KWAAAYYYY-ZEEE!!!! theories about Padme) So, I'll say some stuff myself.

6.) In the original script draft, Han Solo was added in as a little kid who supposedly was stranded on the Wookie Planet and raised by Chewy. Thus being true, he was seen in action as the original aid to Yoda's escape off the Wookie planet. However, they realized the story would be too hard for people such as yourself to understand, as well as the fact that including Han really wasn't necessary. How did they hook up? At one of Jabba's many gay bars (as seen on ROTJ) where Jabba's grudge against Han began when he started hitting on his boyfriend.

7.) Well, this is pretty much explained in the slo-mo montage of shots at the end. Those being: Vader joins Palpy, the Deathstar starts construction, the Empire rises, and their ain't no mo' Jedi brothas.


Oh, and yeah, I didn't get at the end. Who was the guy with the black mask with the breathing noises? What happened to Anakin? I didn't see him die.

And why is Yoda still alive in this one, I thought he died in "Return of the Jedi"?

smile
Posted: Fri, 3rd Jun 2005, 7:37am

Post 12 of 46

silencer

Force: 250 | Joined: 5th Jan 2005 | Posts: 184

Windows User FXhome Movie Maker

Gold Member

What i want to know is... Who was Sifa Deeus, was it maybe Darth (Sidius) sounds a bit like an alias to create the clone army?? And also when Palpy is talking to Ani at the opera thing, the Sith lord he speaks of who learned how to control the Midiclorians to create life, do we think his apprentice could have been Ani's father because in Ep 1 Shmi says that basically Ani was an imaculate birth (someone creating life through Midi's) seems possible. One more thing I always thought the Empire didn't like Aliens ie not humanoid but in the council chambers when the Emperor is making his speech there are loads of Aliens there. Oh... this may sound silly but are Stormtroopers clones or do they stop being clones so change the name to Stormtroopers

I believe Han saves Chewys life at some point so Chewy stays with Han to repay the "life debt" but they become good friends etc

I love the books, I started at the Jedi Search Trilogy and have read everyone since then, but not the young Jedi books

Cool topic smile
Posted: Fri, 3rd Jun 2005, 7:45am

Post 13 of 46

Hybrid-Halo

Force: 9315 | Joined: 7th Feb 2003 | Posts: 3367

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 3 Pro User MuzzlePlug User PowerPlug User FXpreset Maker Windows User MacOS User

SuperUser

"That Opera thing" being the Galactic Senate... I'm assuming that there was some form of entertainment going down. (I could be wrong).

StormTroopers = CloneTroopers. When the Republic becomes the Empire then the CloneTroopers effectively start to become known as StormTroopers.

Darth Plagas, Darth Sideous (Palpatine's) master was not Anakin's father. A while ago before the start of episode I it is said that The Jedi and the Sith were far greater in numbers. For the sake of being obvious, Palpatine killed Plagas.

General Grievous has a cough and is generally a bit crap because he has been wounded by Mace Windu during the Clone Wars animated. Mace Windu actually crushes the bugger.

General Grievous is an alien kept alive via machinery, hence the rather organic eyes and genetic (the heart and veins) interior.
Posted: Fri, 3rd Jun 2005, 9:30am

Post 14 of 46

Joshua Davies

Force: 25400 | Joined: 21st Mar 2001 | Posts: 3029

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 5 Pro User MuzzlePlug User PowerPlug User PhotoKey 3 Plug-in User FXpreset Maker Windows User MacOS User

FXhome Team Member

This must be a joke right?
Posted: Fri, 3rd Jun 2005, 9:52am

Post 15 of 46

DPUMA8

Force: 230 | Joined: 1st Dec 2004 | Posts: 181

EffectsLab Lite User

Gold Member

Wow.

Let me remind some of you guys that I AM NOT A HUGE STAR WARS FAN! I have not even heard of any animated series or have read any original drafts. I saw Episode 1 and 2 in the theater and that is it. I have seen Star Wars 4,5,6 probably 10 years ago (Maybe even more). I don't remember everything and I am not a huge enough fan to rent all those movies and sit through 20 hours of Star Wars. They were good movies but not in my top 50 of all time. Sorry.

I am getting clearer on this (Thanks for the help) and I know that I need to watch all 6 again to refresh my memory to get the best idea, but I probably won't do it. So this is why I asked for a few questions to be answered. Just to get a better idea.

So I have a few more questions since for me, as a non Star Wars die hard fan, can someone tell me what happens if 7,8,9 came out? My friend told me that Luke gets to be a little crazy too (True?).

What other shows are there that are involved with the Star Wars movies? I read that there is a cartoon series and a holiday special. Anything else?

Sorry to offend some of you for not being more of a Star Wars fan.
Posted: Fri, 3rd Jun 2005, 10:28am

Post 16 of 46

Xcession

Force: 42802 | Joined: 21st Mar 2001 | Posts: 1964

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 3 Pro User Windows User

SuperUser

DPUMA8: no one is *insulted* really, more irritated - and not by the fact that you're not a big starwars fan either, but more by the fact that this topic is just a bit silly.

Asking people to explain a massively long, complex, interwoven plot of 6 films which you *ought* to watch anyway, (if simply for the sake of broadening your knowledge of film and exposing yourself to a piece of classic cinema) when you could just rent/buy them, watch them yourself and answer your own questions, seems just a bit...i dunno...lazy!

I haven't seen El Cid for a decade or so. Anyone fancy explaining the 3 hour epic and the entire history of the Spanish Moroccan war to me?

But i digress, in answer to some of your more reasonable, latter questions...

7, 8 and 9 could either follow Leia and Han's children: Jacen and Jayna (iirc), or it could follow Luke setting up the Jedi Academy and his subsequent fall to the dark-side. Yes you heard that right.

I think one of the main reasons why 789 will probably never see the light of day, is that the main family behind the original plot - The Skywalkers - has all but disbanded. It would be rather dilute viewing to watch *just* han/leia, or *just* luke, going about their individual story-lines. The beauty of the original plot was in the multi-generational depth of the skywalker story. With everyone dead, but for Leia and Luke, the fire of the plot "has gone out of the universe".

There is, however, going to be a TV series. I read somewhere what it was going to be about, but i've since forgotten. I think it was going to be about some seemingly random character shown for a split-second, no doubt, in the famous 'Cantina Scene' from ep 4.

The 'holiday special' that you refer to was shown in the 80s, i believe, after Jedi. It was trashy and camp, from what i remember. There was also a brief Ewok's series, but the teddy-bear interest factor waned quickly and it ended, or got dropped, i dunno which.

Other than the TV series in development at the moment, the only other recent stuff other than the films, is the Clone Wars cartoon, done by the same group as Samurai Jack (on cartoon network). Extremely good it is too. Thats in its 3rd season at the moment, 10 eps a season.


On another note. Pooky: Padme is not a different person to Amidala. what is wrong with you?
Posted: Fri, 3rd Jun 2005, 10:58am

Post 17 of 46

silencer

Force: 250 | Joined: 5th Jan 2005 | Posts: 184

Windows User FXhome Movie Maker

Gold Member

Right Darth Plagus is not Palpatines father because he clearly says to anakin that he has no ability to keep someone from dying so it is quite possible that the Apprentice to Darth Plagus who was taught all his master knew etc could be Anakins father smile as for eps 7,8,9 there are many ways they could go with many more villans in the books, i know Lucas doesn't want to use expanded universe stuff but its a thought. The Skywalker family doesn't disband infact it grows with Han marrying leia and them having 3 children then Luke Marrying Mara Jade and them having a child.

All in all a great set of movies with many unanswered questions for us all to come up with ideas for them smile

One thing that annoyed me was the fact we never saw Vader with his red Lightsaber out...oh er misses, or didn't really see how powerful he was to say that the whole galaxy is scared of the guy, apart from that great movies
Posted: Fri, 3rd Jun 2005, 11:01am

Post 18 of 46

Xcession

Force: 42802 | Joined: 21st Mar 2001 | Posts: 1964

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 3 Pro User Windows User

SuperUser

Well not read.
Posted: Fri, 3rd Jun 2005, 7:13pm

Post 19 of 46

Evman

Force: 4382 | Joined: 25th Jan 2004 | Posts: 3609

VisionLab User VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

DPUMA8 wrote:

Wow.

Let me remind some of you guys that I AM NOT A HUGE STAR WARS FAN! I have not even heard of any animated series or have read any original drafts. I saw Episode 1 and 2 in the theater and that is it. I have seen Star Wars 4,5,6 probably 10 years ago (Maybe even more). I don't remember everything and I am not a huge enough fan to rent all those movies and sit through 20 hours of Star Wars. They were good movies but not in my top 50 of all time. Sorry.

Wait... so you're not a huge enough fan to watch them all again (would take a day or two), however you ARE a big enough fan to want to know all the intricacies of the plot? The movies were made to be watched, not told to you by someone else.
Posted: Fri, 3rd Jun 2005, 7:46pm

Post 20 of 46

Rawree

Force: 3250 | Joined: 27th Jun 2002 | Posts: 1925

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

Lucas has said that 7,8 and 9 won't ever exist because the Star Wars movies are Anakin's story (Child > Death). There is, I believe I heard, a CGI TV series (Like the Captain Scarlet one I guess) and a live action TV series if all goes to plan.

Possibly a good idea as I think 6 movies are quite enough to squeeze for every penny with Extended cuts, remasters, Special editions and the like.
Posted: Fri, 3rd Jun 2005, 8:23pm

Post 21 of 46

DigiSm89

Force: 815 | Joined: 2nd Jun 2002 | Posts: 1898

Windows User

Member

Xcession wrote:

On another note. Pooky: Padme is not a different person to Amidala. what is wrong with you?
Heh. razz



DigiSm89
Posted: Fri, 3rd Jun 2005, 8:34pm

Post 22 of 46

Hybrid-Halo

Force: 9315 | Joined: 7th Feb 2003 | Posts: 3367

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 3 Pro User MuzzlePlug User PowerPlug User FXpreset Maker Windows User MacOS User

SuperUser

silencer wrote:

Right Darth Plagus is not Palpatines father because he clearly says to anakin that he has no ability to keep someone from dying so it is quite possible that the Apprentice to Darth Plagus who was taught all his master knew etc could be Anakins father smile
Darth Plagas was Palpatines master who taught Palpatine everything he knew before Palpatine killed Plagas in his sleep. Palpatine is not Anakin's father, as Anakin was an immaculate conception. (i.e. Jesus H Christ).

It's the Sith way that you constantly desire more and more power, and when you have learnt everything you can from a master there is no longer any need for them.
Posted: Fri, 3rd Jun 2005, 8:36pm

Post 23 of 46

Simon K Jones

Force: 27955 | Joined: 1st Jan 2002 | Posts: 11683

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 5 Pro User MuzzlePlug User PowerPlug User PhotoKey 3 Plug-in User FXhome Movie Maker FXpreset Maker Windows User

FXhome Team Member

It is implied, however, that Plagus (is that how you spell it?) might have forced the conception of Anakin. We don't know either way, but it's a definate possibility.
Posted: Fri, 3rd Jun 2005, 8:49pm

Post 24 of 46

Rawree

Force: 3250 | Joined: 27th Jun 2002 | Posts: 1925

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

So was it inspiring open ended storytelling or George Lucas deciding he can't be bothered to tie up all the loose ends? wink
Posted: Fri, 3rd Jun 2005, 9:13pm

Post 25 of 46

silencer

Force: 250 | Joined: 5th Jan 2005 | Posts: 184

Windows User FXhome Movie Maker

Gold Member

Thanks Tarn i'm glad someone else saw the idea that Darth Plagus's apprentice could well have been Anakins father!, and just to go back if Palpatine is Plagus's Apprentice why does he say he has no knowlege of keeping people alive, is that a ploy and if so to what end because i believe Anakin would've gladly gone to the dark side if Palpatine had said he could teach him that trick, instead of "going round the houses"
Posted: Fri, 3rd Jun 2005, 9:15pm

Post 26 of 46

Evman

Force: 4382 | Joined: 25th Jan 2004 | Posts: 3609

VisionLab User VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

Tarn wrote:

It is implied, however, that Plagus (is that how you spell it?) might have forced the conception of Anakin. We don't know either way, but it's a definate possibility.
Some also say plagus didn't even exist, and was just a story made up by palpatine to entrance anakin with the thought of the power to stop death. Dunno which is true though.
Posted: Fri, 3rd Jun 2005, 9:28pm

Post 27 of 46

DigiSm89

Force: 815 | Joined: 2nd Jun 2002 | Posts: 1898

Windows User

Member

My friend told me of that some story mentions that Plagus used his ability to create life to create Anakin.




DigiSm89
Posted: Fri, 3rd Jun 2005, 10:15pm

Post 28 of 46

Serpent

Force: 5426 | Joined: 26th Dec 2003 | Posts: 6515

CompositeLab Pro User EffectsLab Pro User FXhome Movie Maker FXpreset Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

More Star Wars movies could still come I think. John Williams hinted in a documentary that I watched, not word for word but this is basically what he said: "Some say that this was the last Star Wars movie, but I wouldn't be so sure of that." I think maybe they will make other movies from the Star Wars universe, and if not, ah well.
Posted: Sat, 4th Jun 2005, 4:17pm

Post 29 of 46

ben3308

Force: 5210 | Joined: 24th May 2004 | Posts: 6433

VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

evman101 wrote:

Tarn wrote:

It is implied, however, that Plagus (is that how you spell it?) might have forced the conception of Anakin. We don't know either way, but it's a definate possibility.
Some also say plagus didn't even exist, and was just a story made up by palpatine to entrance anakin with the thought of the power to stop death. Dunno which is true though.
I always thought of Plagus was pretty much just made-up, as well. While a story of a leader would be cool, it seems more wicked and sadastic to create a story in which Palpy gets his power. As for Sifa Deeus (or whatever the hell his name was), I always thought him to be Count Dooku. (Which, is a very un-threatening name to go with in the first place. What happened to Darth Tyrannus?) See, from my understanding Dooku was a fallen Jedi believed to be dead (Cypher Deus) and really he is learning the Sith ways under the alias Darth Tyrannus, and then reveals himself to the Jedi as Count Dooku.


Just trying to clear that note up for myself, am I correct?

Oh, and it has been stated many times that Anakin is a metaphorical character resembling Christ, in that, he was born of the Force from a virgin. Not Plagus, The Force.
Posted: Sat, 4th Jun 2005, 4:24pm

Post 30 of 46

Evman

Force: 4382 | Joined: 25th Jan 2004 | Posts: 3609

VisionLab User VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

It was in the book Labyrinth of Evil that General Grievous got in an accident, and was put back together with droid parts, and Count Dooku kept him alive with Sifo Dyas' blood or life force or something. I don't know for sure. I have to read that book.
Posted: Sat, 4th Jun 2005, 5:12pm

Post 31 of 46

Simon K Jones

Force: 27955 | Joined: 1st Jan 2002 | Posts: 11683

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 5 Pro User MuzzlePlug User PowerPlug User PhotoKey 3 Plug-in User FXhome Movie Maker FXpreset Maker Windows User

FXhome Team Member

ben3308 wrote:

Just trying to clear that note up for myself, am I correct?
Good question. I've never been entirely sure about Sifo-Dyas (official spelling, apparently.....sounds remarkably like Cypher Deus...hmm), but I don't think he's Dooku. He was a genuine Jedi, perhaps manipulated by Palpatine as well, before he was killed and replaced by Dooku.

Oh, and it has been stated many times that Anakin is a metaphorical character resembling Christ, in that, he was born of the Force from a virgin. Not Plagus, The Force.
While Anakin's virgin birth is clearly a Christ allegory, there's nothing there that requires it to be identical. Anakin's birth came about via the midichlorians/the Force, but we don't know whether that was a natural occurrence (or the Force doing it's thing) or whether the midichlorians were manipulated by Darth Plagus, as described by Palpatine.

If the Force is taken to be 'life' itself, and Plagus was the one that manipulated life to create Anakin, then I suppose Darth Plagus could be considered to be Star Wars' God being. God was then killed by Palpatine (about as close to the Devil as you can imagine), who then twisted the Christ character into something evil via temptation and a need for control, before the Christ character redeemed himself by destroying the Devil.

Alternatively, we could stop reading too much into the films and just watch the cool explosions. razz
Posted: Sat, 4th Jun 2005, 5:26pm

Post 32 of 46

Waser

Force: 4731 | Joined: 7th Sep 2003 | Posts: 3111

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 2 Pro User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

SuperUser

Am I the only one who thinks that Palpatine actually knows the power, but doesn't actually want to teach it to Anakin? And in turn, Palpatine is vader's "father"? Dur? DUR?!?!
Posted: Sat, 4th Jun 2005, 8:42pm

Post 33 of 46

silencer

Force: 250 | Joined: 5th Jan 2005 | Posts: 184

Windows User FXhome Movie Maker

Gold Member

I was thinking the same thing waser, Palpy does say when mace is about to kill him that he knows the power to save life etc but then says later to Anakin that he doesn't. I like the idea that Palpy is Anakins father, would be another great twist! Anyone know why Yoda said he'd lost when he could've kept fighting the Emperor? maybe Yoda's cloak has the power hmmm... Oh and how come Anakin somersaults over Obi Wan on the floating lava things without dying?? the high ground wasn't that high, Obi Wan jumps higher than that in Ep 1 and Ani could've just walked off the floating thing onto the rocks wink lol one more thing, why wasn't R2's memory wiped... does he just forget all this before Ep 4???
Posted: Sat, 4th Jun 2005, 8:45pm

Post 34 of 46

Evman

Force: 4382 | Joined: 25th Jan 2004 | Posts: 3609

VisionLab User VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

silencer wrote:

lol one more thing, why wasn't R2's memory wiped... does he just forget all this before Ep 4???
His mind wasn't wiped... thats why he knows who obi-wan is.
Posted: Sat, 4th Jun 2005, 9:05pm

Post 35 of 46

Rawree

Force: 3250 | Joined: 27th Jun 2002 | Posts: 1925

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

silencer wrote:

Ani could've just walked off the floating thing onto the rocks wink
You mean the rocks that burned the skin from his bones? wink
Posted: Sun, 5th Jun 2005, 7:24am

Post 36 of 46

silencer

Force: 250 | Joined: 5th Jan 2005 | Posts: 184

Windows User FXhome Movie Maker

Gold Member

So R2 decided not to tell his best bud anything for 18yrs??? bit strange. The rocks didn't burn Anakin it was the fact he slid down towards the lava and the heat from that set him on fire, Obi Wan was on the rocks remember wink Could Ani not have used a force push or something, just seems a bit of a cop out to me
Posted: Sun, 5th Jun 2005, 11:21am

Post 37 of 46

Rawree

Force: 3250 | Joined: 27th Jun 2002 | Posts: 1925

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

Yeah the lava set him alight but I think it's safe to say that the rocks or sand or whatever it was he was lying on would be hot enough to blister his skin off (isn't that a lovely image), the roads get pretty hot on a summer day so just imagine what being 7' from a river of lava would do to it!

I can only think of two reasons for R2 to say nothing:
- Droids think logically and perhaps there was no logical advantage to giving 3PO a complete rundown of the last 20 years or so.

- He understands the importance of keeping all this stuff quiet until the time is right (ie when Vader attacks their ship and the only hope of saving the rebellion is finding Obi Wan). Plus it's pretty clear that R2 is the brains of the outfit and 3PO would probably only ham things up.
Posted: Sun, 5th Jun 2005, 12:18pm

Post 38 of 46

silencer

Force: 250 | Joined: 5th Jan 2005 | Posts: 184

Windows User FXhome Movie Maker

Gold Member

So them riding around 3' from the lava all through the fight is fine lol just happens to burn Ani at the end and how come Obi Wan didn't burn his feet surely the heat would still be there a few feet up crazy I'm sure we could pick holes in these movies all day but i just love em, best set of movies EVER!!

ANyone else noticed the boxing Clonetrooper fighting a droid when Obi Wan is chasing Greivous?
Posted: Sun, 5th Jun 2005, 5:27pm

Post 39 of 46

Evman

Force: 4382 | Joined: 25th Jan 2004 | Posts: 3609

VisionLab User VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

Honestly, some people will never be satisfied till they pick apart every little detail of these films... Its a Star Wars movie... there is no sound in space, lightsabers don't exist, you can't travel faster than the speed of light, and there is no such thing as a mechanical limb replacement (at least not one that you'd be able to articulate that well...). Star Wars calls for you to suspend your disbelief, and enjoy the story... if you can't do that, then Star Wars isn't for you...

</rant>

EDIT: Not really directed to any one person, just a general observation biggrin
Posted: Sun, 5th Jun 2005, 5:49pm

Post 40 of 46

Rawree

Force: 3250 | Joined: 27th Jun 2002 | Posts: 1925

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

People pick apart details of all movies but it seems that people only ever complain that Star Wars is being ripped to shreds. Nobody ever complains about the "Star Wars Elements" of the movies (Lightsabers, Intergalactic Space Travel, Wookies etc) because it's impossible to say what these things would be like in the real world. As soon as something which should require no suspension of disbelief at all (Jumping, near-moulten rocks = hot) is called into question it seems that people get rather miffed at the fact that the movie is being "Picked Apart".

If it was something entirely trivial like "Lightsabers wouldn't have a blue tint because <Insert "Scientific" explaination from Gary, age 30 who lives in his parents attic>" then perhaps that is too far. Something like "If he could easily jump 30m if he wanted, why can't he make a 12' leap?" does seem fairly reasonable as there's no logical reason that he couldn't make that jump.

Do understand that these comments arn't really meant to be taken seriously and they were written fairly satirically; I also find it pretty funny that people seem to over analyse every aspect of these movies in particular but it also annoys me when people bang on about the movies being "picked apart". Let the nerds have their fun wink

Mainly directed at Evman but he's a nice guy so I don't think he'll mind wink
Posted: Sun, 5th Jun 2005, 6:21pm

Post 41 of 46

ben3308

Force: 5210 | Joined: 24th May 2004 | Posts: 6433

VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

evman101 wrote:

and there is no such thing as a mechanical limb replacement (at least not one that you'd be able to articulate that well...).
Oh, I beg to differ...

Myoelectric arms are easily articulated; I know people who have them.
Posted: Sun, 5th Jun 2005, 6:43pm

Post 42 of 46

The video machine

Force: 266 | Joined: 12th Jul 2004 | Posts: 284

Windows User

Gold Member

Wasn't it that obi-wan slashed anakins legs off, it was some pretty fast cuts and you only see it once in the cinema so i didn't really see properly, but thats what i thought i saw...
Posted: Sun, 5th Jun 2005, 6:59pm

Post 43 of 46

Hybrid-Halo

Force: 9315 | Joined: 7th Feb 2003 | Posts: 3367

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 3 Pro User MuzzlePlug User PowerPlug User FXpreset Maker Windows User MacOS User

SuperUser

The video machine wrote:

Wasn't it that obi-wan slashed anakins legs off, it was some pretty fast cuts and you only see it once in the cinema so i didn't really see properly, but thats what i thought i saw...
Well either they fall off then roll down the rocks and into the lava of their own accord or Obi-Wan chopped them off. wink

He's also quite clearly without legs at several points during the Immolation scene.
Posted: Sun, 5th Jun 2005, 7:34pm

Post 44 of 46

Steeb

Force: 1650 | Joined: 14th Nov 2004 | Posts: 217

VisionLab User Windows User

Gold Member

It got his left arm, too. Helluva swing that was. Don't F with Obi Wan.
Posted: Sun, 5th Jun 2005, 8:23pm

Post 45 of 46

Evman

Force: 4382 | Joined: 25th Jan 2004 | Posts: 3609

VisionLab User VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

Rawree wrote:


Mainly directed at Evman but he's a nice guy so I don't think he'll mind wink
I HATE YOU!!! wink

Yeah, well it does get a little annoying after a while, I try to enjoy the movies, and then some people come up to me and complain about the littlest things... Its Star Wars... since when has it made sense? I guess too many people complain to me about it cause im the nerd that knows the most about it, so I find any complaining to be annoying. razz

Yeah, he got his left arm too, all in one swing, but the sound effects only made it seem like he got his legs... Anywho, I do like the symbolism of him struggling to get up the bank with only his mechanical arm to help him, and the whole blue on blue lightsaber fight was VERY symbolic. Its funny - the reason they chose to keep Anakin's saber blue during it was because red wouldn't show up really well against Mustafar's setting. Ended up being symbolic of Brother vs Brother. think
Posted: Sun, 5th Jun 2005, 8:47pm

Post 46 of 46

silencer

Force: 250 | Joined: 5th Jan 2005 | Posts: 184

Windows User FXhome Movie Maker

Gold Member

LOL I don't really think i'm "picking it apart" in a bad way but you need to keep a balance in what characters can do etc. Look i love the movies and saw the first one in 1978 when i was 5yrs old and have been hooked since then. So i can only appologise for getting some of you annoyed over things we have no control over (how you can get annoyed over that is beyond me) wink but anyhow i am sorry, hope you all forgive my lack of Star Wars knowledge, its not like its been with me all my life (oh it has)...


p.s. Why do the battle droids speak to each other in English LOL (Joke)