You are viewing an archive of the old fxhome.com forums. The community has since moved to hitfilm.com.

Superhero Harry TRAILER HERE NOW.

Posted: Thu, 25th Aug 2005, 1:47pm

Post 1 of 78

b4uask30male

Force: 5619 | Joined: 22nd Feb 2002 | Posts: 3497

Windows User

Gold Member

Hi

Here is the trailer for Superhero Harry.
Some of the theme of this film is based around the English political correctness that our country suffers from, all these types of jokes are based on real events that have happened in England, such as a woman driving and eating an apple, a police helicopter was called out on her and it cost the tax payers thousands of pounds to fine the woman a few hundred.

Anyway I hope you enjoy this trailer

www.superteam.biz/shhtrailer.wmv

comments are welcome
Posted: Thu, 25th Aug 2005, 3:41pm

Post 2 of 78

Serpent

Force: 5426 | Joined: 26th Dec 2003 | Posts: 6515

CompositeLab Pro User EffectsLab Pro User FXhome Movie Maker FXpreset Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

I enoyed this trailer, but there were a few things that should be fixed for the final product. When the woman is punching that man repeatedly, the sound effects are a bit cheasy. Then, the first opening city scene is just meh, it's all, colory. Maybe it will play into the movie, but I dunno. As for the trailer part, it was a very different trailer style. It was interesting, the acting was good and the visual effects for the most part were great. Good luck with the film.
Posted: Thu, 25th Aug 2005, 4:10pm

Post 3 of 78

radiometricx

Force: 10 | Joined: 20th May 2003 | Posts: 81

Windows User

Member

Good job. That wig doesn't really look quite right on Peter, though.
Posted: Thu, 25th Aug 2005, 4:42pm

Post 4 of 78

b4uask30male

Force: 5619 | Joined: 22nd Feb 2002 | Posts: 3497

Windows User

Gold Member

Hi
Thanks for the comments, I'm trying for the whole comic book feel bright colours and such ( even the wig )
It's not a serious film like batman or even solthars superhero film it's just a simple comic book style film.

Thanks once again for watching.
Posted: Fri, 26th Aug 2005, 2:23am

Post 5 of 78

ben3308

Force: 5210 | Joined: 24th May 2004 | Posts: 6433

VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Gosh. Well I don't really want to say anything bad, but I really feel I need to, because I did not like this at all.

SOUND
Considering it's a trailer, you need a little bit of build up and suspense, and this had neither. It basically sounded like you slapped a couple of cheesy sound effects on there and rendered it. Your sound design needs ALOT of work, as far as this trailer goes. Maybe play different parts of suspenseful songs over and over again until you get an idea of what will sound best, that usually works for me.

PICTURE
Color grading was a mess! It was sooooo inconsistent, it wasn't funny. YOU NEED CONSISTENCY IN A MOVIE! Maybe your movie has some, but the trailer sure as hell doesn't show it. I know, I know, it's a superhero movie, so the colors are more like comics, but to me that sounds more like a scapegoat or excuse, because, well, it is.

I couldn't really tell if the shots were well framed or not, mainly because most were too busy to take in all at once, or had the actor extremely close to the camera, Bad idea. Other shots looked like you placed a camera on the table and just pressed record. Maybe try stepping far back from the source and zooming in on them to get more depth.

ACTING
The Bush joke, IMO, was overdone and not funny...at all. It actually just seemed stupid. Not funny stupid, more like, "What the crap are these British guys saying?" stupid. (Not to offend Britain, or anything, that's just what ran through my head) The other acting, well....there wasn't much other acting. I dunno, but if you don't have funny people/good actors, then I'd avoid monologues or other things that are laborious for actors.

EFFECTS
Some effects were cool, but most looked overdone, corny, and ill placed. In a trailer you have the freedom to show a small amount- possibly the good 2 seconds- of an effects shot without revealing the whole thing, and I don't think you used that to your advantage. Maybe cut quicker next time.

EDITING
Man, this was bad. It had some formulaic 'trailer editing' but other than that, the shots lingered for too long and lacked luster. You DEFINETLY need to brush up the editing on this. At least make it a *bit* tighter.

COMPRESSION
Do I have even have to say this? When viewed in Windows Media Player, it skews the image vertically. Set aspect ratio differently when rendering so that I don't have to change it when viewing. Not too hard to do.

THE TRAILER IN GENERAL
Well, as was aforementioned, I really didn't like this, because I did not find it to be a fair representation of one's skill- because, well, let's face it, it wasnt that great. You're an adult- I''m assuming frmo your avatar- and you're a Top Jedi, so I'd expected you to have a little more skill in these areas when it comes to filmmaking, but I guess I was mistaken. Brush up your game a little more and you'll get there. I anticipate the final movie.


Postscript: Smoothnecks was the bomb. No, but seriously. The bomb.
Posted: Fri, 26th Aug 2005, 2:37am

Post 6 of 78

Bugclimber

Force: 1305 | Joined: 7th Jul 2004 | Posts: 635

CompositeLab Pro User EffectsLab Pro User FXhome Movie Maker FXpreset Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

I felt the same as Ben. It seemed like you filmed it REALLY well, then sort of..... I dunno spent very short time on the editing. It all just seemed rushed. I'm SURE you're better than this, and the footage looks great. It just all seemed.... cheap. specially that first buildings shot. That one intro with the Comic book page credits you posted b4 was awesome tho! I'm sure this will turn out awesome! I look forward to it, but this trailer just seems to give it a bad name.



PS. The acting is awesome though! cool
Posted: Fri, 26th Aug 2005, 3:12am

Post 7 of 78

Colincsl

Force: 260 | Joined: 8th Jan 2004 | Posts: 278

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User

Gold Member

I didn't like the trailer, however I am anticipating the movie. I think it will come out much better.
Posted: Fri, 26th Aug 2005, 3:26am

Post 8 of 78

PhLogan

Force: 490 | Joined: 1st May 2004 | Posts: 290

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User

Gold Member

I agree that the trailer wasnt that great and was actually rather boring. The color grading was annoying me a great deal, too. I do, however, look forward to the movie, but this trailer had such a slow pace to it that I was not interested by the end.
Posted: Fri, 26th Aug 2005, 8:48am

Post 9 of 78

b4uask30male

Force: 5619 | Joined: 22nd Feb 2002 | Posts: 3497

Windows User

Gold Member

Thanks guys

You do know that this film is a zero budget ? I say this because as I move on in filming people look at my films as if money was spent on them.
I'm no different from you guys, except I push and make full lenght films with zero money, and not worth nit picking that much.

Did I mention the film it's a comic book film. ? I think you guys will like the sequal it goes all batman style very dark just the way you like it, but this film is a family type film.
The colour grading changes are:
In the film when he meets the Hoodies the style changes and gets gritty, I struggled with myself to put those clips in along with the normal clips, i gave in as i've only shot 20% of the film and needed stuff to show.

I personaly agree the trailer is lacking in a solid way but again my fault for not having enough footage shot yet.
I do think this ( as normal with me ) is a huge film that NO OTHER film maker with zero budget will ever come close to and I think it looking at other films on fxhome that SHH will be truley the best film ever, wink


ah just read the guys comments above, about me being a top jedi, dude I only got this high helping people not because of my filming skills, so please re-think and don't judge me by my force, if i posted on here with only 1 or 2 force then i bet you wouldn't have commented that eek
Posted: Fri, 26th Aug 2005, 9:40am

Post 10 of 78

Platinum

Force: 110 | Joined: 16th Mar 2002 | Posts: 46

Windows User

Member

I'm not a huge fan of the trailer, but it did give me a sense of 'fun' and I want to be able to see the finish product. The trailer to me appears to have either broken the mould of what we expect from a trailer, or it shows awful editing/colour grading. Yes it feels uncomfortable, but when you put it into context, it made it seem comic like.

Overall, the trailer showed exciting and confident acting, but lacked to deliver a precise message. The combination of bad and good elements of the trailer gave a conflicting viewpoint for me. I couldn't decide if I liked it or hated it.

Can't wait to see the final product - the work I've seen of yours before has been excellent and I know that the final product will deliver.
Posted: Fri, 26th Aug 2005, 6:36pm

Post 11 of 78

davlin

Force: 1572 | Joined: 21st Jan 2002 | Posts: 1088

EffectsLab Pro User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

I've not seen one of B4's movies in a while so looking at the posts about it
I thought i'd have a look.
This is a fantastic trailer showing the complete dedication to capturing the
style and feel of the earlier type comic and cartoon books of years gone by "sigh".

I do feel that some of the previous posts don't fully grasp what is
being done here.By the looks of it the Superteam crew have taken a
courageous and artistic route in producing a film with the magic and OTT
actions of comic strip heroes.From the first moment of the trailer you are
taken on a trip to fantasy land with stylishly enriched colours and great
OTT characters.(who said Peters wig did'nt fit......sigh!).
The humour is laugh out loud and acting is first class.B4's list of actors seems endless(don't know how he does it).

I can't wait for full feature.
This is Superteams answer to Tim Burton....LOL

Well Done all.

O'l Dav biggrin
Posted: Fri, 26th Aug 2005, 9:20pm

Post 12 of 78

DPUMA8

Force: 230 | Joined: 1st Dec 2004 | Posts: 181

EffectsLab Lite User

Gold Member

Well I will say that I liked it. I don't know why people assume that every movie has to have $5,000 put into it. Too much of this, "have to out do every other movie on this site attitude."
I have a movie that is funny but it has many filmmaking errors, bad acting, and horrible fight scenes but I am afraid of putting it on this site because I am sure it will get ripped on for not being a professional, expensive clip rather than watching it for fun.

But anyway, Man I like it and I appreciate all the coordination that you have done on your movies and it looks good to me. Let me know when it comes out and I will watch it for entertainment rather than for technical aspect. Great job!!!!
Posted: Fri, 26th Aug 2005, 10:10pm

Post 13 of 78

ben3308

Force: 5210 | Joined: 24th May 2004 | Posts: 6433

VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Rating: +2

b4uask30male wrote:

You do know that this film is a zero budget ? I say this because as I move on in filming people look at my films as if money was spent on them.
I'm no different from you guys, except I push and make full lenght films with zero money, and not worth nit picking that much.
If you want to make a good film, everything is always worth nit picking. If someone watches a movie, they don't care how much it costs. They care if it's good. I make good movies all the time with zero budget, but I don't use that as any excuse. Excusing the quality of something for unecessary reasons is just pathetic. You're an adult, come on now. But if you'd rather make something substandard, yet have good excuses for it, that's okay too....oh, wait, no it's not.


Did I mention the film it's a comic book film. ? I think you guys will like the sequal it goes all batman style very dark just the way you like it, but this film is a family type film.
Doesn't mean the grading has to be all crazy and inconsistent. Sky High was a highly saturated family movie, and the visual style of it looked good, well-placed. With this trailer, it just looks like you slapped some filters on and prayed for the best.

I do think this ( as normal with me ) is a huge film that NO OTHER film maker with zero budget will ever come close to
If you're gonna go and sound pigheaded like that, then I'm just gonna go ahead and say it: don't go saying stuff like that, because if the final product is crap, people are gonna hate you for it. And if I was judging the movie purely from the trailer, I'd consider it crap.
ah just read the guys comments above, about me being a top jedi, dude I only got this high helping people not because of my filming skills, so please re-think and don't judge me by my force, if i posted on here with only 1 or 2 force then i bet you wouldn't have commented that eek
I only say that because force is a fairly good indicator of how much you browse the site. Considering you've browsed the site alot, I would've thought you would've picked up tips on how to avoid all the mistakes you've made.

You know, I really tried to be constructive in my first post, but all your excuses have upset me. Sorry if you feel offended by anything I've said, but, well....it's the truth. Now go finish the movie!

Postscript: Just re-watched it, to make sure I was correct in my original analysis, and I found a few thigns which could help you fix it:

Stay away from 3D transitions. They look REALLY CHEAP. Stick with cuts and fades.

You kept the music from the individual clips running, which makes the sound jump fro soundtrack, to soundtrack, to soundtrack. That's just sloppy. Consider taking out the msuic track from the original clips, leaving the dialogue, and dubbing over a new song or something, so your trailer just isn't so.....I dunno, disorganized.

Postpostscript:
Okay, well I watched it yet another time, and I guess it's not so bad, but the first 34 seconds are just horibble, and they're what mainly deterred me. I can see you made an effort later on in the trailer. Good job.
Posted: Sat, 27th Aug 2005, 7:30am

Post 14 of 78

b4uask30male

Force: 5619 | Joined: 22nd Feb 2002 | Posts: 3497

Windows User

Gold Member

Sorry ben but you lost all cred when I read your post at the top about the compression,
I'm on dial up and 9mb was the best I could do, that's nothing to do with me as a film maker so the attack on the compression would be a personal attack and bringing up my other starship troopers film within the same post and putting in down suggests I write.
I've seen hundreds of films on here with bad compression ( worse than mine ) but I won't lower myself to moan about it.
Posted: Sat, 27th Aug 2005, 8:52am

Post 15 of 78

Mellifluous

Force: 5604 | Joined: 6th Oct 2002 | Posts: 3782

EffectsLab Pro User Windows User

Gold Member

I enjoyed this, things I liked were:

3d city; 3d rocks; firemen; policeman; cool smoke effects; gritty feel after 1:04; acting; speech bubble

There were a few things I didn't like so much. I know what you were going for and I think it doesn't quite succeed, but then again this is probably a concept trailer for you, I'm sure you'll make a few changes by the time final cut reaches us.

For the cartoon look, you had plenty of filter settings. With the first 3d city in gaudy colours shot, I think it could work but on top of those colours maybe add a saturation or washed out look? A few of them worked but there were parts where it looked too pinky or bluey.

Because that, and some of the transitions and even the news bars give totally the wrong impression. They look too cute and Windows Movie Maker, Early Learning Centre kiddies tv program. Then there was like a 3d frame in the golfing bit that looked totally wrong too. You had a lot of 3d frames, but why don't you make the frames more like the graphic novel style you had in your concept title sequence you showed a while back? That worked pretty well imo

There was one part where you had a big shot of the skyscrapers and then a small frame of a character, in the same screen, and that would look so much better in a real comicbook style frame, that one looked quite odd. You don't have to make it look cheap to make it look like a comicbook, even if you're aiming for it to look like The Beano or something. The Mask was successful in having a roughly similar visual look that I think you're going for, yet it still had real-looking news bars and that sort of thing.

Anyway, I like the look of this, my comments above aren't meant to rip it apart, just honest feelings having watched this. I did like it, and the 3d and action looked really good, and I enjoyed watching it and that's what matters at the end of the day smile
Posted: Sat, 27th Aug 2005, 10:43am

Post 16 of 78

davlin

Force: 1572 | Joined: 21st Jan 2002 | Posts: 1088

EffectsLab Pro User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

DPUMA8 wrote:

Well I will say that I liked it. I don't know why people assume that every movie has to have $5,000 put into it. Too much of this, "have to out do every other movie on this site attitude."
I have a movie that is funny but it has many filmmaking errors, bad acting, and horrible fight scenes but I am afraid of putting it on this site because I am sure it will get ripped on for not being a professional, expensive clip rather than watching it for fun.

But anyway, Man I like it and I appreciate all the coordination that you have done on your movies and it looks good to me. Let me know when it comes out and I will watch it for entertainment rather than for technical aspect. Great job!!!!
Sorry if this is OT but this post is worthy of a re-read....DPUMA8 says it all.
Please don't let the odd few members put you off by the their extreme
critical remarks their are loads of genuine helpful film makers on this
site who will encourage you (and me)to make your hobby more fun.
If you have any movies you would like to share please put them up and i for one will promise to view them as entertainment and not some university
project.

O'l Dav

Last edited Sun, 28th Aug 2005, 1:01pm; edited 1 times in total.

Posted: Sat, 27th Aug 2005, 1:21pm

Post 17 of 78

ben3308

Force: 5210 | Joined: 24th May 2004 | Posts: 6433

VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

b4uask30male wrote:

Sorry ben but you lost all cred when I read your post at the top about the compression,
I'm on dial up and 9mb was the best I could do, that's nothing to do with me as a film maker so the attack on the compression would be a personal attack and bringing up my other starship troopers film within the same post and putting in down suggests I write.
I've seen hundreds of films on here with bad compression ( worse than mine ) but I won't lower myself to moan about it.
I was speaking about how the image was skewed, not the quality. Did you even read what I wrote? The aspect ratio is off when viewed in Windows Media Player. That's the problem that I was pointing out, not the grainyness or fuzziness. You got me all wrong.
Posted: Sat, 27th Aug 2005, 2:20pm

Post 18 of 78

b4uask30male

Force: 5619 | Joined: 22nd Feb 2002 | Posts: 3497

Windows User

Gold Member

Did you even read what I wrote?
To be honest no sad
I skimmed throught it and saw you cussing my other film, then I skimmed through it again and saw you moaning that my force is high and that I should be a GOD at film making because of it, I then looked at your force and saw you had nearly as many neg posts as postive so I thought that you seem to say things that other don't like.
So I guess I didn't want to read anymore of your post, whereas Mel comments are 100% valid well worded and helpful.
Posted: Sat, 27th Aug 2005, 4:15pm

Post 19 of 78

Bugclimber

Force: 1305 | Joined: 7th Jul 2004 | Posts: 635

CompositeLab Pro User EffectsLab Pro User FXhome Movie Maker FXpreset Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

Please people. Let's not get into an argument over someone's OPINION. Ben speaks his mind. That's why ppl give him negatives. He's not trying to be mean, just HELP you. He is giving constructive criticism. He didn't say...

"I hate this. It's crap"

But he did point out some things he didn't like. Please. Let's not be so immature as to ignore what ppl say. Do not judge ppl on their negatives and positives, because, TBH, I think that sometimes the negative ratings you receive just don't have any basis besides,

1) The rater disagrees with you (not for what the system's for!mad)

2) The rater has a grudge against you


Judging ppl on force and rating, IMHO, is just stupid.


Adam
Posted: Sat, 27th Aug 2005, 4:38pm

Post 20 of 78

Steeb

Force: 1650 | Joined: 14th Nov 2004 | Posts: 217

VisionLab User Windows User

Gold Member

Sorry to butt in...

b4uask30male wrote:

Did you even read what I wrote?
To be honest no sad
I skimmed throught it and saw you cussing my other film.
The only reference I saw to your other movie made by Ben was this:

ben3308 wrote:

Postscript: Smoothnecks was the bomb. No, but seriously. The bomb.
This is a compliment. It is American slang for F'ing great. He was not cussing your film, nor was he attacking it. He was trying to give constructive criticism about your trailer - something you invited by posting it on this site. In fact, the last line of the original post is "comments are welcome."


BTW - whoever rated Ben's post down - shame!
Posted: Sat, 27th Aug 2005, 4:46pm

Post 21 of 78

ben3308

Force: 5210 | Joined: 24th May 2004 | Posts: 6433

VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Thanks for that, steeb. I really wasn't trying to disrespect anything, I just saw flaws, pointed them out, then gave pointers on how to fix them.

Sorry, b4, that the argument has gone as far as it has. Maybe we can agree to disagree in the future.
Posted: Sat, 27th Aug 2005, 5:10pm

Post 22 of 78

Serpent

Force: 5426 | Joined: 26th Dec 2003 | Posts: 6515

CompositeLab Pro User EffectsLab Pro User FXhome Movie Maker FXpreset Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

b4uask30male wrote:

Did you even read what I wrote?
To be honest no sad
I skimmed throught it and saw you cussing my other film, then I skimmed through it again and saw you moaning that my force is high and that I should be a GOD at film making because of it, I then looked at your force and saw you had nearly as many neg posts as postive so I thought that you seem to say things that other don't like.
So I guess I didn't want to read anymore of your post, whereas Mel comments are 100% valid well worded and helpful.
Don't skip people's posts due to -1's. Pooky for example got 100 -1's a LONG time ago, yet his criticism is some of the most useful I have ever recieved. Also, Ben, +1's have nothing to do with skill. I am not saying b4 lacks skill, obviously, but you can't judge a movie based on force, which is if I am not mistaken what "Top Jedi" is based on. I think the top jedi thing is gone now, I can't find it in info boxes anymore.
Posted: Sat, 27th Aug 2005, 5:17pm

Post 23 of 78

Pooky

Force: 4834 | Joined: 8th Jul 2003 | Posts: 5913

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User MacOS User FXhome Movie Maker

Gold Member

Serpent wrote:

yet his criticism is some of the most useful I have ever recieved.


cool

B4 - I understand how unfair negative criticism may seem sometimes, but you'll have to learn (like I eventually did) that it's a lot more useful than positive criticism. I'd have to agree with ben that the grading seems random in the trailer. Now I understnad it's out of context but we're talking about the trailer aren't we? Also Ben was right that the image is stretched vertically in windows media player. I believe you could solve this by setting your aspect ratio to 16:9 instead of 4:3 when you render/compress.

Also you might want to tighten the editing a bit because some parts were rather slow. Finally, the 3D city at the beginning was good except for the randomly coloured buildings... just shwo me one comic book/movie where the buildings are coloured like that and I'll forget it smile

Movie looks like it could be cool though, waiting for the release smile

Last edited Sat, 27th Aug 2005, 5:24pm; edited 1 times in total.

Posted: Sat, 27th Aug 2005, 5:22pm

Post 24 of 78

ben3308

Force: 5210 | Joined: 24th May 2004 | Posts: 6433

VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Serpent wrote:

Also, Ben, +1's have nothing to do with skill. I am not saying b4 lacks skill, obviously, but you can't judge a movie based on force, which is if I am not mistaken what "Top Jedi" is based on.
What I meant was that because he had so much force, it meant he had obviously browsed this site for some time, hence he would've picked up more information and pointers pertaining to filmmaking, hence his skill would've been improved. That was my logic.
Posted: Sat, 27th Aug 2005, 5:24pm

Post 25 of 78

LilCaesars

Force: 480 | Joined: 27th Dec 2004 | Posts: 530

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

I liked this generally. The only thing I can say I didn't like were the 3d buildings. They just looked really fake and I don't really think you should put visual effects into a movie unless it looks good. Otherwise it just brings the whole thing down in my opinion. It's pretty cool that you're doing a feature length movie with no money, but I would still suggest putting in money to make it look better. The grading is interesting, but it just really annoyed me throughout the whole thing. I think this has potential to be good, but there are some visual things that just bother me. I know you're trying to go for teh comic book look, but this doesn't feel like a comic book to me it just feels annoying. Mess around with the grading a little and the visual effects and then I think you will have a great movie.
Posted: Sat, 27th Aug 2005, 5:43pm

Post 26 of 78

Bugclimber

Force: 1305 | Joined: 7th Jul 2004 | Posts: 635

CompositeLab Pro User EffectsLab Pro User FXhome Movie Maker FXpreset Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

[quote="pooky"]

Serpent wrote:

except for the randomly coloured buildings... just shwo me one comic book/movie where the buildings are coloured like that and I'll forget it smile
The thing that bugged me most is the part when the building explodes and it has that horrible coloring that extends beyond it. That is NOT comic book-y IMHO.
Posted: Sat, 27th Aug 2005, 6:11pm

Post 27 of 78

sk8npirate

Force: 590 | Joined: 28th Feb 2004 | Posts: 757

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User

Gold Member

Well I think the unique look is cool. I think comic books all have their own unique looks so Im not going to slam someone for being original. I didn't like all of it but I must say Im excited to see the film when its released. I really like the trailer especially torwards the end. The effects look good and the acting seems pretty decent too. I hope Superteam keeps doing what they love, and I look forward to seeing the results.
Posted: Sat, 27th Aug 2005, 6:31pm

Post 28 of 78

b4uask30male

Force: 5619 | Joined: 22nd Feb 2002 | Posts: 3497

Windows User

Gold Member

thanks guys
aj, i don't have any money to use ( I don't have job still ) so once again another no budget

the actors, thats interesting i posted on a actors site and got over 150 cv's sent to me, i'm slowly going through them choosing who's best ( even had a guy from 28days later and shaun of the dead apply )
Posted: Sat, 27th Aug 2005, 7:03pm

Post 29 of 78

ssj john

Force: 563 | Joined: 4th Nov 2003 | Posts: 795

Windows User MacOS User

Member

K I don't want to offend anyone in anyway, but here's my opinion about the movie or trailor. Sorry b4uask But it didn't pull me in. It didn't make me excitied to see the final product. Sorry if that offends you but I'm just telling the truth. I wont say much more cuz what else I think has already been said by ben. And remeber b4uask dont get to BIG headed about your movies, if you think your movies gonna be the best, its not gonna be. I've seen plenty of movies on here that r zero budget that are far better then some of your movies. Thats just something that kinda bugged me about what you said.
Posted: Sat, 27th Aug 2005, 7:27pm

Post 30 of 78

Bryce007

Force: 1910 | Joined: 5th Apr 2003 | Posts: 2609

VideoWrap User Windows User

Gold Member

Ok ok..then comes my opinion.

Im going to be honest here, and keep in mind its my single opinion.

Couple of things i noticed:

The contrast was virtually non-existent in some scenes. As ben mentioned, The color correction was All over the place throughout the trailer.

The Acting wasn't bad, I actually thought it was appropriate for what it is, Which is a zero budget movie.

The Fx were...Well...They could be better. Too much motion blur. And digital camera movement looks terrible, never use it.

The music was pretty subpar, but if since its royalty free, I that can be overlooked.

Couple of questions:

what camera did you use for this?

What editing suite and color corrections programs do you use?

Also, Is there a reason you don't have a job? It seems like you could improve your movie quite abit if you had a small budget.
Posted: Sat, 27th Aug 2005, 8:33pm

Post 31 of 78

CX3

Force: 3137 | Joined: 1st Apr 2003 | Posts: 2527

EffectsLab Lite User VideoWrap User MacOS User FXhome Movie Maker

Gold Member

I think that trailers are one of the hardest things to edit. How to make an audience want to see your film by showing them bits and peices of the film but without telling them the whole movie... yet... not telling them too little about the movie. I think it helps to watch how many trailer's are edited prior.

I don't think the fact that you have no budget has any say in this so much. The only thing me and AJ have had budgeted was Daywalker, and that was a mere $700... mostly feeding the cast at every shoot. X3i isnt even close to being budgeted, I wish it was hah. You just have to find loops. That's what most people on this site do.

I don't think the trailer was, so much, horrible. I do think it could be improved a lot more. Search the net for some better quality sound effects. Hell, if you'd like, I could send you some of mine (swooshes and whooshes and what not). I the style you started using towards the end of the trailer, how it looked as if they talked and then they turned into a page of a comic book and to the next, maybe you could have used that a little more throughout, just an opinion.

All in all, I'm excited to see this though. I enjoy superhero flicks a lot. And it seems like this is a good year for superhero type movies. Sollthar and Night Cast, you with Harry and me with well... X3i haha. Anyways, I hope the movie turns out great and godforbis if it doesnt, you're still getting a lot of good experience. Trial and Error, A filmmakers friend ha, Love to do "Trial" but hate to see "Error", but hey, it makes us better.

Chris
Posted: Sat, 27th Aug 2005, 8:49pm

Post 32 of 78

sk8npirate

Force: 590 | Joined: 28th Feb 2004 | Posts: 757

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User

Gold Member

CX3 do you make your own "swooshes and whooshes"? I never really know where to find these, or how to make my own. Could you tell me how you make/where to get them?

Sorry if I seem like im jacking your thread but I think this can help us both b4uask
Posted: Sat, 27th Aug 2005, 9:06pm

Post 33 of 78

b4uask30male

Force: 5619 | Joined: 22nd Feb 2002 | Posts: 3497

Windows User

Gold Member

Hi
Thanks guys, all valid points and as you all know I take the comments on board and try to use them.

I don't have a job ( for many years now ) because I believe that by making films ( feature films even with no budget ) that something might happen ( not big headed ) I also think the best, doesn't always work out the best but if I stopped and thought my films are not the best then I wouldn't make them, I know other people are better at cgi, editing etc, but I still have to believe.
Just wondering if anyone goes full out to make a film like me only thinking that the film is ok?.

Visual effects aside, I'm sure you guys will laugh at the finished film ( in a good way ) as 99% of people have laughed at my other comedies.

I used vegas to colour correct and pinnacle studio to edit
Posted: Sat, 27th Aug 2005, 9:52pm

Post 34 of 78

ben3308

Force: 5210 | Joined: 24th May 2004 | Posts: 6433

VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

b4, I've got a few questions and suggestions....

When it showed the clip of the PT Cruiser driving down the road, it had a rainbow color spectrum. Was this a preset, or did you make it yourself?

Maybe for the same effect with a less 'preset' look, up your saturation, but not all the way. maybe to 70 percent or so. Up the luminance to about .01 higher than it is standard, and maybe do a light, highly feathered chroma key on the light blues and harsh reds, then up the saturation all the way on the keyed objects, ultimately making all the classic superhero colors stand out without making it look like you slapped a tint over the screen. Maybe also consider upping the contrast alot more on most of the clips (the hoodie clips were nicely contrasted, maybe a bit much, though).

I'd also suggest doing some 50 opacity navy blue midtones to enhance the comic book look wihtout being overly cheesy. Vegas has great color correcting tools, you just have to know how to use them.
Posted: Sun, 28th Aug 2005, 7:57am

Post 35 of 78

b4uask30male

Force: 5619 | Joined: 22nd Feb 2002 | Posts: 3497

Windows User

Gold Member

Hi

The colours on the pt was a present in AE, 4 colour gradient i think.
I knew I wanted this film to be all colourful but never thought so many people wouldn't like it, i did push the saturation up high on propuse trying to lose the DV feel and move into comic feel.

I'll try to use those idea's you mention when I get around to editing the full film

Someone asked what camera I used, trv900 ( set to true 16.9 ) I gotthe ( before someone asks you don't work ) i got the camera through a deal, I was making tutorial dvd's on signing, koi, tropicial fish etc and a guy took my dvd's and I got his 2 trv900 camera's, he's since made way more money than the camera's were worth but i've got to finish my last feature "2 epic" and got working on this, i'll be doing more tutorials to sell myself soon.
Posted: Sun, 28th Aug 2005, 9:48pm

Post 36 of 78

ssj john

Force: 563 | Joined: 4th Nov 2003 | Posts: 795

Windows User MacOS User

Member

b4uask30male wrote:

Hi
Thanks guys, all valid points and as you all know I take the comments on board and try to use them.

I don't have a job ( for many years now ) because I believe that by making films ( feature films even with no budget ) that something might happen ( not big headed ) I also think the best, doesn't always work out the best but if I stopped and thought my films are not the best then I wouldn't make them, I know other people are better at cgi, editing etc, but I still have to believe.
Just wondering if anyone goes full out to make a film like me only thinking that the film is ok?.

Visual effects aside, I'm sure you guys will laugh at the finished film ( in a good way ) as 99% of people have laughed at my other comedies.

I used vegas to colour correct and pinnacle studio to edit
I think you misundertood what i mean't. You should make a movie that you think is the best YOU can do. But you should never think that what your doing is better than everybody else. THat is called pride and entire nations have fallen because of pride. But I don't want to get all poetic. But plz dont say to me MY movies are better than yours that really bugs me.
Posted: Sun, 28th Aug 2005, 11:22pm

Post 37 of 78

CX3

Force: 3137 | Joined: 1st Apr 2003 | Posts: 2527

EffectsLab Lite User VideoWrap User MacOS User FXhome Movie Maker

Gold Member

My movies are better than yours.
Posted: Sun, 28th Aug 2005, 11:57pm

Post 38 of 78

ssj john

Force: 563 | Joined: 4th Nov 2003 | Posts: 795

Windows User MacOS User

Member

CX3 wrote:

My movies are better than yours.
Well seeming how I don't really have any movies yeah yours are probably better than mine.
Posted: Mon, 29th Aug 2005, 12:15am

Post 39 of 78

Hybrid-Halo

Force: 9315 | Joined: 7th Feb 2003 | Posts: 3367

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 3 Pro User MuzzlePlug User PowerPlug User FXpreset Maker Windows User MacOS User

SuperUser

I am just a little bit concerned as to how making a no budget film is a big deal, the majority of movies on fxhome and infact - both of my submissions have no budget whatsoever and I believe them both to be decent.

Criticism is often difficult to take, but you're far better off listening to what even your worst critic has to say rather than justifying reasons for things being sub-par, as by doing that you're agreeing with your critic really...

I'll be blunt, I thought this trailer was probably a bit too long, didn't make me want to watch the whole thing and I laughed out loud at some of the CG. Still, it could be entertaining. Good luck with the rest of the production.

-Hybrid.
Posted: Mon, 29th Aug 2005, 12:41am

Post 40 of 78

CX3

Force: 3137 | Joined: 1st Apr 2003 | Posts: 2527

EffectsLab Lite User VideoWrap User MacOS User FXhome Movie Maker

Gold Member

My movies are better than yours.

Well seeming how I don't really have any movies yeah yours are probably better than mine.
Hah, I was just playin w/ u man.
Posted: Mon, 29th Aug 2005, 12:50am

Post 41 of 78

ssj john

Force: 563 | Joined: 4th Nov 2003 | Posts: 795

Windows User MacOS User

Member

CX3 wrote:

My movies are better than yours.

Well seeming how I don't really have any movies yeah yours are probably better than mine.
Hah, I was just playin w/ u man.
You were?!?!? No I'm kiddin I know you were CHEEYAH's

Word
-john-
Posted: Mon, 29th Aug 2005, 7:18am

Post 42 of 78

b4uask30male

Force: 5619 | Joined: 22nd Feb 2002 | Posts: 3497

Windows User

Gold Member

Hybrid-Halo, I love honest feedback just check my old films, when you guys said the sound was bad, i improved, when you guys said add shadows in cgi I did and so.

The same reason I bring up no budget is the same reason that ben on his first post thougt I should be excellent at everything because of my force.
Not many people on here make films ( mostly tests ) then not many people make a feature film, then not many people make a huge feature film ( in terms of amount of actors and cgi work needed within the film ) I have do this a few times and people ( not just on here ) think to make a film like this is costs, it doesn't cost (well had to borrow money from the wife for the costume ) so I mention this before people like ben get their expectations too high based on "style of film" "amount of force on fxhome" etc.


My film is better than yours wink
Posted: Mon, 29th Aug 2005, 7:41am

Post 43 of 78

Bryce007

Force: 1910 | Joined: 5th Apr 2003 | Posts: 2609

VideoWrap User Windows User

Gold Member

My Films is Quite abit different than your to be certain, In fact, B4uask, I'd really appreciate you taking a look at my latest effort, tell me what you think in the

http://fxhome.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=19694&start=15

Thread. Also, Tell me if you have trouble viewing it.
Posted: Mon, 29th Aug 2005, 2:00pm

Post 44 of 78

Serpent

Force: 5426 | Joined: 26th Dec 2003 | Posts: 6515

CompositeLab Pro User EffectsLab Pro User FXhome Movie Maker FXpreset Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

b4uask30male wrote:

Hybrid-Halo, I love honest feedback just check my old films, when you guys said the sound was bad, i improved, when you guys said add shadows in cgi I did and so.

The same reason I bring up no budget is the same reason that ben on his first post thougt I should be excellent at everything because of my force.
Not many people on here make films ( mostly tests ) then not many people make a feature film, then not many people make a huge feature film ( in terms of amount of actors and cgi work needed within the film ) I have do this a few times and people ( not just on here ) think to make a film like this is costs, it doesn't cost (well had to borrow money from the wife for the costume ) so I mention this before people like ben get their expectations too high based on "style of film" "amount of force on fxhome" etc.


My film is better than yours wink
I think he just mentioned that he expected it to be better based off how often you go to this site actively, thus gaining a ton of skill. (This site is quite useful.) But you need to forget about FXHomer23356 who created muzze flash test #37-#39. We aren't trying to compare you to anything, just give you tips and pointers for future trailers, and to make the final product better. I haven't seen it, so I don't know if our criticism is helping for the final film, but for the trailers I think our criticism is valid. Now, the only time ben mentioned the word "style" was saying the grading style looked sloppy. Now, it doesn't cost any money to improve the digital grading. We all know that you are going hard at this, I imagine a feature film is very tough. But that has nothing to do with the trailer critiques, pretend it's not even a film, just a trailer you put together as a trailer editing test, then those skills will improve. But on criticisms about grading, and CGI, don't block that out, apply it to the film. Good luck to you, and I can't wait to see how it turns out.
Posted: Mon, 29th Aug 2005, 2:22pm

Post 45 of 78

Hybrid-Halo

Force: 9315 | Joined: 7th Feb 2003 | Posts: 3367

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 3 Pro User MuzzlePlug User PowerPlug User FXpreset Maker Windows User MacOS User

SuperUser

Rating: +3

b4uask30male wrote:

Not many people on here make films ( mostly tests ) then not many people make a feature film, then not many people make a huge feature film ( in terms of amount of actors and cgi work needed within the film )
There's a certain air of arrogance that surrounds alot of your replies in this thread, and it has got me a little concerned. Granted that at points you have heeded advice but way too often you seem to look for reasons as to why people criticise your submission and try to rebuke the criticism itself rather than take a step back and try to see if the movie is itself the sole reason for the criticism, I guarantee that more often than not - it is.

Don't, for even a second, assume that whatever you're working on is any good. Everyone with a clue knows that you can never properly judge your own work because of your involvement with it. The stressful process of film making itself imbues a personal bias, you simply can't examine your own film objectively.

Whether or not SuperHero Harry is indeed a feature film, or just a new elongated method of torture is yet to be decided. In the meantime listen to, and act upon, the advice people give you. Doing anything else guarantees you passage down the spiral staircase of channel 5 movies.

I don't have any care for how great you think you may be, how much force you have, or how little money you've spent on the production of this. The acting is still terrible, the special effects lacking oomph, no grading. Just...lacking in general. The one cool thing so far is the superhero suit itself.

My advice - get some proper CG or Compositing brains in on the work or learn how yourself, and read some comics. Examine how the Hero is framed as to make them look more heroic. A good example of a hero character in film is Blade 2. Blade looks badass in every single shot and it's not solely because he's a big black dude.

Good luck...
-Hybrid.
Posted: Mon, 29th Aug 2005, 2:30pm

Post 46 of 78

shadu

Force: 90 | Joined: 25th Apr 2003 | Posts: 345

Member

Editing trailer is very hard... The two trailer we made take 5-8 versions each to complete. One of us made it and show it to the 2 others one who then make critic (sometime very bad one) and it is redone. In our two case the first version is very far from the last one.

Maybe try have someone to make screen test of your work.

Shadu
Posted: Mon, 29th Aug 2005, 4:02pm

Post 47 of 78

b4uask30male

Force: 5619 | Joined: 22nd Feb 2002 | Posts: 3497

Windows User

Gold Member

Bryce007, i'm on dial up and will look next week ( should be getting braodband back then )

I think someone might have missunderstood my demermination as greatness. sad

If you want to go down that road, look at my early stuff shot on DV ( forgetting that in 1992 I won the surrey comedy award for a film on VHS )
I think i've improved since then, taking advice to help me get where I am now, yeah I believe I've become better than some others, and others have got better than me at things, I'm still not good with CGI, never said I was.
Music is a struggle and my last film 2 EPIC that has done well had proper music for it, at this point SHH is free stuff from the net, so I hope this will change.
I'll be honest even though people on this site are not too happy with the grading ( First real film I've done using it ) I like the colours and style and although I take advice i'll proberly keep this style for the full film, it may be a bad move but on other site ( where they are not a tech as you guys ) they don't see the colour grading, they see a film with a different style.

I am going to make a sequal to this ( after a few other films I have planned ) and this film will be darker in all area's, i'll be needing advice on that as I always shoot in the day and would like the sequal to look night time, I'll admit i've not tried doing day/night stuff and will proberly suck at it, but i'll try.

This film is due to be finished early 2006.
Thanks
Posted: Mon, 29th Aug 2005, 8:31pm

Post 48 of 78

ssj john

Force: 563 | Joined: 4th Nov 2003 | Posts: 795

Windows User MacOS User

Member

Hybrid-Halo wrote:

b4uask30male wrote:

Not many people on here make films ( mostly tests ) then not many people make a feature film, then not many people make a huge feature film ( in terms of amount of actors and cgi work needed within the film )
There's a certain air of arrogance that surrounds alot of your replies in this thread, and it has got me a little concerned. Granted that at points you have heeded advice but way too often you seem to look for reasons as to why people criticise your submission and try to rebuke the criticism itself rather than take a step back and try to see if the movie is itself the sole reason for the criticism, I guarantee that more often than not - it is.

Don't, for even a second, assume that whatever you're working on is any good. Everyone with a clue knows that you can never properly judge your own work because of your involvement with it. The stressful process of film making itself imbues a personal bias, you simply can't examine your own film objectively.

Whether or not SuperHero Harry is indeed a feature film, or just a new elongated method of torture is yet to be decided. In the meantime listen to, and act upon, the advice people give you. Doing anything else guarantees you passage down the spiral staircase of channel 5 movies.

I don't have any care for how great you think you may be, how much force you have, or how little money you've spent on the production of this. The acting is still terrible, the special effects lacking oomph, no grading. Just...lacking in general. The one cool thing so far is the superhero suit itself.

My advice - get some proper CG or Compositing brains in on the work or learn how yourself, and read some comics. Examine how the Hero is framed as to make them look more heroic. A good example of a hero character in film is Blade 2. Blade looks badass in every single shot and it's not solely because he's a big black dude.

Good luck...
-Hybrid.
Hybrid I love you...Oh and B4uask I'd like to know of this "other" site you speak of. I want to check it out, is it a movie making site? or just some random forum
Posted: Tue, 30th Aug 2005, 8:28am

Post 49 of 78

b4uask30male

Force: 5619 | Joined: 22nd Feb 2002 | Posts: 3497

Windows User

Gold Member

UK crusiers

superteam forum

to name but 2, and before you say superteam is a film making forum it's not there are only about 4 people on there that make films, the rest are ( this might be hard for you to believe seeing as you are questioning me about this ) those other people are just normal people that have over time enjoyed watching my other films and stuck around to watch more.

Look what's up with you, can't you just admit there are other people in the world that don't watch films like we do, they just enjoy them, myself, i look at films like you, seeing what can be improved or i notice errors ( not that i'll mention them all to the maker )

These questions are designed to see if i'm telling the truth, no wonder why a guy a few posts back said he won't put his film online here, just the attitude of the posters, I feel sorry for that guy and I know of another who wants to post his short film here but hasn't for the same reason, none of us are experts, I've said this before valued comments are welcome but questioning people to see if they are telling the truth is way beyond commenting on films.
To the guy that wanted to post his film here, your welcome to post on the superteam forum, you'll get comments from normal members of the public, who will simply say they liked it or not. (without any hidden sarcasm )
smile
Posted: Tue, 30th Aug 2005, 10:26am

Post 50 of 78

Hybrid-Halo

Force: 9315 | Joined: 7th Feb 2003 | Posts: 3367

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 3 Pro User MuzzlePlug User PowerPlug User FXpreset Maker Windows User MacOS User

SuperUser

Rating: +1

Once again, an almost unintelligable post that doesn't attempt anything other than asserting your own superiority over the users here at fxhome. People submit their work to be criticised so that they, as film makers can improve. This is a special effects and film making site afterall, if someone were to release a movie or trailer and have neither of these issues addressed then the site's purpose has failed.

Not releasing something here through fear of criticism is pathetic, the moderators look after people and anyone not following the rules in regard to critiqueing submissions have their posts deleted. To release movies to a specific group of people who are inclined to sugar coat any criticism they give you is a pretty stupid way of trying to make a movie. I use the word "trying" because under such circumstances your work would never improve and remain 'drivel'.

Here, if something is bad then by all means... Everyone should say so. And they have. You'd be doing yourself a big favour by looking as to why rather than whining like a baby with ants in his nappy. If you really are going to release feature films (see definition : elongated torture) then you'll be releasing to a far wider, unmoderated, far more brutal audience - the general public. And you won't have a forum to justify any shoddiness to them on.

-Hybrid.
Posted: Tue, 30th Aug 2005, 10:35am

Post 51 of 78

Arktic

Force: 9977 | Joined: 10th Nov 2003 | Posts: 2785

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 2 Pro User FXhome Movie Maker FXpreset Maker Windows User MacOS User

SuperUser

Rating: +1

To be honest, I agree pretty much with Hybrid's sentiments, if not the exact way he's phrased what he's saying.

People here aren't criticising your trailer because they want to 'question' you, or they are jealous of your skill etc - they're doing it becuse they can see things that are wrong, and you are perfectly able to improve upon them if you want your work to look professional.

You say that in the past you've taken onboard criticisms etc, but I can't really see that you're doing that here. When someone points out what they see as a flaw in your movie, don't just jump to it's defence - you should honestly look objectively at that criticism and see WHY someone has chosen to mention that.

Just think about this - if a critic publishes a review of a blockbuster movie in a paper, the director doesn't write in the next day and say "Oh well, acctually, the reason the CGI was bad was...." etc. What they will do however, is reply to the critics by making their next movie bigger and better, taking onboard the criticims and suggestions they have recieved in the past.

Just something for you to think about.

Cheers,
Arktic.
Posted: Tue, 30th Aug 2005, 10:49am

Post 52 of 78

er-no

Force: 9531 | Joined: 24th Sep 2002 | Posts: 3964

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 2 Pro User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User MacOS User

SuperUser

Rating: +1

I guess if anything Ian, you've managed to create a thread in which you've got a lot of attention towards you're movie.

When the final thing is released, I'm going to give it a watch because I like to see if your style or direction has changed since your Stargate episodes. smile

You should take criticism on board, as it's how we improve. You might get annoyed at the sheer amount of critism you get, but quite a few users, especially the new ones at fxhome, look up to you directly as a result of your post count and force. Funny really, but true. And yes, because you've submitted quite a few movies in the past, people expect bigger and better things.

Maybe go for what you want with Superhero Harry, but take all comments on board and go for something that is near impossible to organise and film. That's what I've done recently and I think myself and all involved managed to pull off some fantastic film-making.

Good luck and I do look forward to SHH, if only for some of the one-liners.
wink

I think this argument/debate is coming to an end, so unless you have something constructive to say, please refrain from posting unless it's directly about the trailer smile

Joby
Posted: Tue, 30th Aug 2005, 11:53am

Post 53 of 78

Nagual

Force: 1050 | Joined: 21st Jul 2004 | Posts: 289

EffectsLab Lite User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 2 User Windows User

Gold Member

I was hoping to add a useful bit of critique, however I can't since your site seems to be down at the mo.
Posted: Tue, 30th Aug 2005, 9:42pm

Post 54 of 78

ssj john

Force: 563 | Joined: 4th Nov 2003 | Posts: 795

Windows User MacOS User

Member

b4uask30male wrote:

UK crusiers

superteam forum

to name but 2, and before you say superteam is a film making forum it's not there are only about 4 people on there that make films, the rest are ( this might be hard for you to believe seeing as you are questioning me about this ) those other people are just normal people that have over time enjoyed watching my other films and stuck around to watch more
See that right there is the reason why the other people on the "other forum" aren't critizing your work as harshly as we. Because they don't know anything about cinematography or cgi or any subject that deals with film making. Don't try to make us feel guilty because we are more harsh. THis is a fx site. YOu submit your movies to see what other think of your effects, so you have to expect someone to say that they are not good if they are not good. What dosn't kill you makes you stronger. And don't make us think that, cuz these kids on the "other" forum like your movie means that its the best thing ever. They aren't educated in the ways of film. Like when I was ten just to see someone holding a lightsaber was the coolest thing, and i thought that must mean that they were professional. Now I know that lightsabers are one of the easiest effects to pull off. And now when someone makes a movie about two jedi's fighting. I actually think its kinda funny to watch. But I could be wrong this could blow everyother film in the fxhome cinema's away!

WORD
-john-

P.S. I knew you were telling the truth about the other forum. I just wanted to know if it was a film making forum. Cuz that explains excatly why they are not as harsh with there comments. And another thing. If you don't want to people to ask things that sidetrack from the main topic don't say things that might draw them away from the topic. Good Luck on SHH
Posted: Tue, 30th Aug 2005, 10:24pm

Post 55 of 78

Atom

Force: 4300 | Joined: 9th May 2004 | Posts: 7014

EffectsLab Lite User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Rating: -2

I think B4 needs to take an Atom Chill Pill.

Seriously, they work.

Atom, who?
Posted: Tue, 30th Aug 2005, 11:00pm

Post 56 of 78

ben3308

Force: 5210 | Joined: 24th May 2004 | Posts: 6433

VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Rating: +3

b4uask30male wrote:

I'll be honest even though people on this site are not too happy with the grading ( First real film I've done using it ) I like the colours and style and although I take advice i'll proberly keep this style for the full film, it may be a bad move but on other site ( where they are not a tech as you guys ) they don't see the colour grading, they see a film with a different style.
The grading on your video makes it look like a cheap Star Wars fanfilm (saying that because they are now the most mass-produced, generically cheap independent films on the net now) with a cheap preset slapped on the footage for some sort of failed aesthetic effect.

Here, I'll give an example, so you'll see that there's truth to what I'm saying and not just arrogantly blow it off like you did with my previous comments.

Considering you're going for a colorful, saturated style, I'll make a similar scenario. Say I wanted to add a blue-ish tone to my video to give it a colder, more desolate presence on-screen. Here's the video without any grading.

now I grade the footage properly, and here's what I get


Now, you see, THAT works. But with the way you're doing your grading now, my graded image would look like this

I knew I wanted blue, so I added a blue preset and rendered, and look, oh, what did I get? A crappy image. It's indiscriminant and fuzzy; not to mention the fact that there's a crapload of excess blue all over the screen.

Do you maybe see what we're all trying to say now? If you can't even accept this small amount of criticism then I highly doubt you'll go anywhere in the film industry, ever.

But seriously, now, consider regrading. It'll make your image look a WHOLE lot better.

Last edited Wed, 31st Aug 2005, 8:58pm; edited 2 times in total.

Posted: Wed, 31st Aug 2005, 8:48am

Post 57 of 78

b4uask30male

Force: 5619 | Joined: 22nd Feb 2002 | Posts: 3497

Windows User

Gold Member

sorry ben didn't read the above post as er-no had asked people not to comment unless it's about the trailer.

On a side note, er-no... you sly dog...smile You caught me, Marketing and publicity is an art, self promotion is hard but if done right everyone hears the brand name.
Posted: Wed, 31st Aug 2005, 12:20pm

Post 58 of 78

JohnCarter

Force: 3295 | Joined: 11th Mar 2003 | Posts: 1078

VisionLab User Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

YAWN.

There is no accounting for taste and while I am not a particular fan of the look b4 is going for, it is utlimately his call.

I couldn't watch the whole thing because the dreaded Windows Player (When will you use Quicktime Ian?!?! Please!) gets hung up buffering at 46% for centuries before invariably crashing but from what I could see, I must admit I was disappointed. You have accustomed us to much better work in the past. This thing felt rushed. It is like you couldn't wait to put something together and it does feel that way - something cobbled together.

It acts more like a teaser than a trailer, it is confusing in its structure, gives very little information about the story, the sound is bad (most likely compression) and the editing is below your usual standards. I think this one needs to be put back on the canvas and reworked. It feels and reads like a rush job. Sorry.
Posted: Wed, 31st Aug 2005, 1:25pm

Post 59 of 78

ben3308

Force: 5210 | Joined: 24th May 2004 | Posts: 6433

VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

b4uask30male wrote:

Marketing and publicity is an art, self promotion is hard but if done right everyone hears the brand name.
*cough* Hey, has anyone heard about that Splinter Cell movie some guy's making? *cough*

wink
Posted: Wed, 31st Aug 2005, 2:02pm

Post 60 of 78

b4uask30male

Force: 5619 | Joined: 22nd Feb 2002 | Posts: 3497

Windows User

Gold Member

ben3308 wrote:

b4uask30male wrote:

Marketing and publicity is an art, self promotion is hard but if done right everyone hears the brand name.
*cough* Hey, has anyone heard about that Splinter Cell movie some guy's making? *cough*

wink
Now your learning, why do you think superteam are well known.....
The easy part is making a film, the hard part is telling people about it.
Posted: Wed, 31st Aug 2005, 8:35pm

Post 61 of 78

ben3308

Force: 5210 | Joined: 24th May 2004 | Posts: 6433

VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

b4, seriously, though, read my post a few posts up about grading. It has everything to do with the trailer, and I really think it'll help.
Posted: Wed, 31st Aug 2005, 8:41pm

Post 62 of 78

ssj john

Force: 563 | Joined: 4th Nov 2003 | Posts: 795

Windows User MacOS User

Member

b4uask30male wrote:

ben3308 wrote:

b4uask30male wrote:

Marketing and publicity is an art, self promotion is hard but if done right everyone hears the brand name.
*cough* Hey, has anyone heard about that Splinter Cell movie some guy's making? *cough*

wink
Now your learning, why do you think superteam are well known.....
The easy part is making a film, the hard part is telling people about it.
Ummm I'm not sure superteam is well known for what you think it is b4...*cough*
Posted: Wed, 31st Aug 2005, 8:59pm

Post 63 of 78

b4uask30male

Force: 5619 | Joined: 22nd Feb 2002 | Posts: 3497

Windows User

Gold Member

Thanks ben, I do have a bit of a problem, I like the style, others that don't know any different like it but people like you that make films notice something others don't.
I mentioned this to John Carter and he said that if people like (you guys ) notice something not right then distributors and film companies will also.
So I'm a little stuck sad

any suggestions ?


ssj john, yeah smile we get the superteam name way out past the STAR and past the GATE, no one remembers those that don't get noticed for good or bad.
(EDIT)
actully, when I say we get the name out there, it's just poor old me doing the pushing, some super - team I have sad
Posted: Wed, 31st Aug 2005, 9:50pm

Post 64 of 78

Atom

Force: 4300 | Joined: 9th May 2004 | Posts: 7014

EffectsLab Lite User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

ben3308 wrote:

b4uask30male wrote:

Marketing and publicity is an art, self promotion is hard but if done right everyone hears the brand name.
*cough* Hey, has anyone heard about that Splinter Cell movie some guy's making? *cough*

wink
Thank god that guy didn't over-hype that movie and completely kill its chance of a good premiere.
Posted: Thu, 1st Sep 2005, 3:47pm

Post 65 of 78

davlin

Force: 1572 | Joined: 21st Jan 2002 | Posts: 1088

EffectsLab Pro User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

[quote="b4uask30male"]Thanks ben, I do have a bit of a problem, I like the style, others that don't know any different like it but people like you that make films notice something others don't.
I mentioned this to John Carter and he said that if people like (you guys ) notice something not right then distributors and film companies will also.
So I'm a little stuck sad

any suggestions ?

It seems to me Ian that you will continue to trip over unless you set your mind to what you truly want.It appears you're ready to change your style
to suit other people because it might jeopardise its poss future with distributors and such. I personally don't agree with that sentiment as it goes against everything I believe a filmaker should be.If you wanna film
upside down and whistle dixie at the same time that's your choice because
freedom of expression is the most important thing for all of us.
If you make a movie that's important to you and in a style YOU like, that
is all that matters, because we all do our best when working on projects close to our hearts and who knows a real winner could come out of it.

JC said it...."it's ultimately your call"

O'l Dav






biggrin
Posted: Thu, 1st Sep 2005, 4:47pm

Post 66 of 78

Nagual

Force: 1050 | Joined: 21st Jul 2004 | Posts: 289

EffectsLab Lite User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 2 User Windows User

Gold Member

At last! I have been able to download this and see what all the fuss is about. I have watched it a couple of times to make sure I haven't missed anything important and have come up with the following comments.

By far the biggest thing that I like is the humour, its obviously quite off beat and unusual. It works well with the style you are trying to emulate, and given a bit of work I think you will have a good flick on your hands. However, you'll note I said trying to emulate. This is, as others have said due to the colour grading. Its not bad all the way through, which is what I was expecting after reading some of these comments, its just inconsistant in places and needs a bit of rework ( well, perhaps a lot of work ) in others. At times 34-42, 48-45 and 1.10-1.35 its not too shabby really. I can easily see the effect you wanted to go for and in these areas it's just about there. In other places the colours are blending together too much, the comic book style you are wanting I think, has very bold colours but they tend to remain quite seperate from each other, creating blocks of colour on the page, or in the case frame.

I'd be interested to know what editing / colour grading software you use, as you have said your onna zero budget it would interesting to see what your are doing it with. As for suggestions to help you create a more visually impacting look, you could try different techniques in colour grading ( not knowing what you use I can't really say more now.. ) or try masking off areas and grading them that way, then animating the masks... but thats a lot of work.

Good luck no matter what you end up doing.
Posted: Thu, 1st Sep 2005, 8:19pm

Post 67 of 78

b4uask30male

Force: 5619 | Joined: 22nd Feb 2002 | Posts: 3497

Windows User

Gold Member

Thanks Nagual +1, I think you have told me what the others are trying to tell me and i didn't get what they was saying, you wrote.:

the comic book style you are wanting I think, has very bold colours but they tend to remain quite seperate from each other, creating blocks of colour on the page, or in the case frame.

I've not read too many comic books and thought I was about right with the style but what you said makes very good sense and understand why their is a fuss, I blended the colours insted of making each one richer.

I'm really happy now, honestly, that's going to help me, i won't have time to do another trailer but I'll work on each bit of a scene to get it as you suggested.

I use vegas for colour grading, i'm not an expert at it and this is my first real try ( i'm really waiting for digigrade ) any tips on colour grading in vegas would help.
Cheers.
( p.s glad you got the comedy jokes )
Posted: Thu, 1st Sep 2005, 10:33pm

Post 68 of 78

ben3308

Force: 5210 | Joined: 24th May 2004 | Posts: 6433

VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Rating: +1

b4uask30male wrote:

I use vegas for colour grading, i'm not an expert at it and this is my first real try ( i'm really waiting for digigrade ) any tips on colour grading in vegas would help.
Well, I guess you were on a 'no-reading-Ben's-posts' tangent or something two pages ago, but.....

ben3308 wrote:

Maybe for the same effect with a less 'preset' look, up your saturation, but not all the way. maybe to 70 percent or so. Up the luminance to about .01 higher than it is standard, and maybe do a light, highly feathered chroma key on the light blues and harsh reds, then up the saturation all the way on the keyed objects, ultimately making all the classic superhero colors stand out without making it look like you slapped a tint over the screen. Maybe also consider upping the contrast alot more on most of the clips (the hoodie clips were nicely contrasted, maybe a bit much, though).

I'd also suggest doing some 50 opacity navy blue midtones to enhance the comic book look wihtout being overly cheesy. Vegas has great color correcting tools, you just have to know how to use them.
Try doing what I said, I think you'll be surprised how good it looks. Just try it, you've got nothing to lose.
Posted: Tue, 6th Sep 2005, 2:08am

Post 69 of 78

Hybrid-Halo

Force: 9315 | Joined: 7th Feb 2003 | Posts: 3367

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 3 Pro User MuzzlePlug User PowerPlug User FXpreset Maker Windows User MacOS User

SuperUser

ben3308 wrote:

Try doing what I said, I think you'll be surprised how good it looks. Just try it, you've got nothing to lose.
There are few occasions during which you will find me agreeing so strongly with Ben (though noted, growing in frequency). B4, you can't simply deflect anything said which isn't outright praising your work, all the comments made ARE about the trailer so wisen up and start taking the advice that people are kindly giving you.

Any other community on the net would have quite frankly ripped you to pieces.
Posted: Tue, 6th Sep 2005, 2:21am

Post 70 of 78

Bryce007

Force: 1910 | Joined: 5th Apr 2003 | Posts: 2609

VideoWrap User Windows User

Gold Member

Hey, just as a sidenote, If you sent me a higher quality WMV i could filter it abit myself and send it back, As i've got a pretty good idea as to what would look good on this.
Posted: Tue, 6th Sep 2005, 4:21am

Post 71 of 78

Atom

Force: 4300 | Joined: 9th May 2004 | Posts: 7014

EffectsLab Lite User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Rating: -2

This trailer was sooooooo awesome!!!!! I love it!!!!!
Put a clown in it!!!!!!

(Hopefully since I put a good comment he'll read it and put a clown in)
Posted: Tue, 6th Sep 2005, 7:55am

Post 72 of 78

b4uask30male

Force: 5619 | Joined: 22nd Feb 2002 | Posts: 3497

Windows User

Gold Member

Thanks atom, smile you are just like me, My posts are kind even if I don't like a film, see you other guys there is a nice guy (atom ) on this forum who is grown up enough to not give sarcastic comments but speaks from the heart.


Do you guys, atom and ben work on the same films together ? that makes a lot of sense why atom would post back on my trailer suddenly.
Posted: Tue, 6th Sep 2005, 1:10pm

Post 73 of 78

ben3308

Force: 5210 | Joined: 24th May 2004 | Posts: 6433

VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Yeah, we're twin brothers, so we do generally the same stuff.
Posted: Tue, 6th Sep 2005, 1:52pm

Post 74 of 78

b4uask30male

Force: 5619 | Joined: 22nd Feb 2002 | Posts: 3497

Windows User

Gold Member

Really,

I don't think i've seen your films ( i'm on dial up till next monday ) so i'll check them out.

Please, PLEASE tell me you have used the twin side of things in films, man what I would film with twins in my "2 EPIC", it would have been way better.

tell me, please.
Posted: Tue, 6th Sep 2005, 2:47pm

Post 75 of 78

Atom

Force: 4300 | Joined: 9th May 2004 | Posts: 7014

EffectsLab Lite User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

b4uask30male wrote:

Really,

I don't think i've seen your films ( i'm on dial up till next monday ) so i'll check them out.

Please, PLEASE tell me you have used the twin side of things in films, man what I would film with twins in my "2 EPIC", it would have been way better.

tell me, please.
My, my, I pity you and you dial-up. smile Here's hoping for something better, eh? And no, ben and I don't really take advantage of the twin thing because, well, that's old. We've been twins our WHOLE LIFE, and making short films on our VCR since we were like 5 or 6, so yeah, we've done some twin things, but it's far more fun for us to work in tandem behind-the-scenes. Ben films 70% and edits 30%. I film about 30%, which is most of the time necessary, and edit the majority of it. It's a good system, and it works. Once you get better internet, if you wanna check out some of our stuff, go to the FXHome Remakes thread and look for the Splinter Cell Remake.
Posted: Tue, 6th Sep 2005, 5:29pm

Post 76 of 78

b4uask30male

Force: 5619 | Joined: 22nd Feb 2002 | Posts: 3497

Windows User

Gold Member

I'll do that, all the hype it better be worth it wink

Any chance of seeing the old vhs stuff,? maybe fxhome should have a bit for "before they were famous" I bet everyone has old films hidden away.
Posted: Tue, 6th Sep 2005, 5:36pm

Post 77 of 78

Hybrid-Halo

Force: 9315 | Joined: 7th Feb 2003 | Posts: 3367

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 3 Pro User MuzzlePlug User PowerPlug User FXpreset Maker Windows User MacOS User

SuperUser

b4uask30male wrote:

Maybe fxhome should have a bit for "before they were famous" I bet everyone has old films hidden away.
To justify a "before they were famous" - people would have to be famous. This site exists as more than a cinema. Fxhome is designed as to improve peoples film work, I don't think people wish to either claim that they are quite at the point of claiming any sort of fame just yet, as many people release their first movies on fxhome which in the future may themselves become pieces for a "before they were famous" distribution.
Posted: Tue, 6th Sep 2005, 6:33pm

Post 78 of 78

ben3308

Force: 5210 | Joined: 24th May 2004 | Posts: 6433

VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

We could do a parody of E! True Hollywood Story or something. That might be cool for Splinter Cell BTS.