You are viewing an archive of the old fxhome.com forums. The community has since moved to hitfilm.com.

USA Short Film Grants?

Posted: Tue, 30th Aug 2005, 4:58am

Post 1 of 28

nanafanboy

Force: 690 | Joined: 1st Sep 2002 | Posts: 345

VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

I know alot of the users here are from the UK, and it would appear it is fairly easy to find money for a short film there (I may be wrong). In any case, I was wondering if anyone knew how to get Grants for short films in the USA. Thanks alot folks. I eagerly await your replies
Posted: Tue, 30th Aug 2005, 6:17am

Post 2 of 28

FCRabbath

Force: 305 | Joined: 11th Oct 2004 | Posts: 583

Member

thats a good question actually. I would assume there are quite a few out there. Dunno about the UK tho.
Posted: Tue, 30th Aug 2005, 1:23pm

Post 3 of 28

Mellifluous

Force: 5604 | Joined: 6th Oct 2002 | Posts: 3782

EffectsLab Pro User Windows User

Gold Member

On the contrary, it's more difficult to find funding here in the UK. I included a US funding link in the

FXHOME's The Ultimate Filmaker's FAQ 4!

Direct Link: Filmmaker Magazine funding page
Posted: Tue, 30th Aug 2005, 5:37pm

Post 4 of 28

Zeolahn

Force: 240 | Joined: 12th Jul 2005 | Posts: 114

EffectsLab Lite User

Gold Member

Rating: +1

Be a true indie filmmaker and empty your bank account to make a movie.
Posted: Tue, 30th Aug 2005, 7:26pm

Post 5 of 28

nanafanboy

Force: 690 | Joined: 1st Sep 2002 | Posts: 345

VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

hey Mellifluous sorry I didn't see that in your ultimate faq... I looked in there but I must have missed it. Thanks for the link

Zeolahn: I am a 19 year old with very little money. I live in Indiana and am lower class. I simply don't have the financial means. If I did I wouldn't be asking about grants. Thanks for your reply, though
Posted: Wed, 31st Aug 2005, 5:11pm

Post 6 of 28

Zeolahn

Force: 240 | Joined: 12th Jul 2005 | Posts: 114

EffectsLab Lite User

Gold Member

I'm an 18 year old lower class Pennsylvanian. I used $3000 of my own money to make my indie film.

"Any reason to not make a film is just an excuse."

Sorry for the tought love, but you have to risk it.
Posted: Thu, 1st Sep 2005, 5:13am

Post 7 of 28

nanafanboy

Force: 690 | Joined: 1st Sep 2002 | Posts: 345

VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

well I wish I had 3000 dollars period, but I don't. Money is tight and I am trying to pay for school.

"any reason not to make a film is just an excuse"

I agree with that whole heartedly. I have never not made a film because I don't have the money. I do it to the best of my ability without the cash. It would just be nice to have access to it.
Posted: Thu, 1st Sep 2005, 3:29pm

Post 8 of 28

Zeolahn

Force: 240 | Joined: 12th Jul 2005 | Posts: 114

EffectsLab Lite User

Gold Member

nanafanboy wrote:

I am trying to pay for school.
Well you will have to make a choice. Film, or school. I chose film.
Posted: Fri, 2nd Sep 2005, 5:53am

Post 9 of 28

nanafanboy

Force: 690 | Joined: 1st Sep 2002 | Posts: 345

VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

I am going to school for film.
Posted: Fri, 2nd Sep 2005, 12:44pm

Post 10 of 28

ben3308

Force: 5210 | Joined: 24th May 2004 | Posts: 6433

VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Rating: -1

Zeolahn wrote:

nanafanboy wrote:

I am trying to pay for school.
Well you will have to make a choice. Film, or school. I chose film.
This is NOT true at all. There are all KINDS of scholarships for all kinds of schools, and seeing as you claim that you're poor, you'd get good financial aid, because schools give out discounts based upon need. THEN use that extra cash to finance your film. You don't have to choose. That's just absurd.
Posted: Sat, 3rd Sep 2005, 1:57am

Post 11 of 28

Zeolahn

Force: 240 | Joined: 12th Jul 2005 | Posts: 114

EffectsLab Lite User

Gold Member

School for film is useless. The best way to learn film is to learn from your mistakes. That's what I did, as well as the men behind the soon to see international distribution film, Project Valkryie. They were in film school for a bit, realized it was useless, and dropped out.

Oh, and upon searching everywhere, there are no scholarships available to me because I'm not "lower class enough". I might be able to get loans, but I highly doubt that $30,000 for film school (not to mention the mountain of interest) is needed or worth it. Sorry, I'd like to not owe someone 30 grand before the age of 25. So if you are able to find me a free way of getting into school, you let me know.

Colleges in all forms are useless, and if it weren't for some companies refusing to hire people without a college degree Colleges would cease to exist. College is a massive waste of money, as you can just as easily teach yourself any trade. High Schools should have Career-focused courses.

This is all, of course, opinion. Feel free to beleive what you want to beleive, just speaking my mind.
Posted: Sat, 3rd Sep 2005, 11:39pm

Post 12 of 28

Atom

Force: 4300 | Joined: 9th May 2004 | Posts: 7014

EffectsLab Lite User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Zeolahn wrote:

Colleges in all forms are useless, and if it weren't for some companies refusing to hire people without a college degree Colleges would cease to exist. College is a massive waste of money, as you can just as easily teach yourself any trade. High Schools should have Career-focused courses.
Let us all applaud the stupidest post on FXHome today.

clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap
Posted: Sat, 3rd Sep 2005, 11:41pm

Post 13 of 28

ben3308

Force: 5210 | Joined: 24th May 2004 | Posts: 6433

VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Zeolahn wrote:

High Schools should have Career-focused courses.
They do. You can opt to go into a vocational school, or enter a work program to improve your grades and skill in a job during high school. I'm in high school now, so I know what I'm talking about.
Posted: Sun, 4th Sep 2005, 1:08pm

Post 14 of 28

Lithium Kraft

Force: 2728 | Joined: 10th Jun 2005 | Posts: 538

VisionLab User FXpreset Maker Windows User

Gold Member

My view on the subject is that if you don't have a real idea of where you're headed later in life set in stone, I guess college isn't that necessary. No point in spending tens of thousands of dollars learning about something you don't even want to do. But for people with a real aim at something they want to do, I say college is good. In their case, college is not a waste of money, the degrees prove that you're enthusiastic and determined to pursue a carreer that is otherwise not taught in normal schools. People go to college to learn the things they didn't learn in high school. More specific things. In my case, ornithology. Sure there's science classes, biology classes, stuff like that in high school...but they're hardly focused on birds. So you go to college and take ornithology courses. Thats the thing. They're specific. They focus exactly on what you need to know and teach it to you.


(yay Cornell Lab of Ornithology!)
Posted: Sun, 4th Sep 2005, 3:46pm

Post 15 of 28

Zeolahn

Force: 240 | Joined: 12th Jul 2005 | Posts: 114

EffectsLab Lite User

Gold Member

atom wrote:

Let us all applaud the stupidest post on FXHome today.
How is that post stupid? If the NFL would drop their rule of having to have 3 years of playing Football in a college (done just to support Colleges) and draft High School Football players after they graduate, I gurantee you that a lot of colleges would probably go bankrupt.

And it's the same thing everywhere. If businesses would hire people without college degrees, training them on the job, previous to the job, or accepting high school classes as enough, Colleges would have no reason to exist. As far as I can tell, the only reason people go to college is because the place they want to work won't hire people that didn't go to college. Most of the people could already do their trade.

And ben3308, I graduated from High School three months ago, so I know what I'm talking about too. High School does not have a four-year class dedicated to Filmmaking (which you shouldn't be going to school for anyway), or to Nursing, or to business management, or teaching, or anything else that is accepted by businesses as an equal standings to four years at a college. If there were every single college would go Bankrupt because the free Government funded education already gave them what they needed so they no longer feel like being $40,000 in debt before they're 25.
Posted: Sun, 4th Sep 2005, 5:10pm

Post 16 of 28

Boyocs

Force: 50 | Joined: 22nd Jun 2005 | Posts: 61

MacOS User

Member

Wow, there are a lot of opinions flying around here so, I thought that I might as well toss mine in.
If the NFL would drop their rule of having to have 3 years of playing Football in a college (done just to support Colleges) and draft High School Football players after they graduate, I guarantee you that a lot of colleges would probably go bankrupt.
Jeez, not everyone goes to college just to play football! Besides, if you went straight to the NFL from high school, you would be in big trouble if ever were injured, or something else prevented you from playing. Who would wanna hire a burned out professional athlete with no college degree?
High School does not have a four-year class dedicated to Filmmaking (which you shouldn't be going to school for anyway), or to Nursing, or to business management, or teaching, or anything else that is accepted by businesses as an equal standings to four years at a college.
This would mean choosing your career when you are in eighth grade. I don't know of many people who know what they are going to do with their life when they are only 13 and 14 years old. It just wouldn't work.
Posted: Sun, 4th Sep 2005, 5:48pm

Post 17 of 28

Lithium Kraft

Force: 2728 | Joined: 10th Jun 2005 | Posts: 538

VisionLab User FXpreset Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Going back to the original question, what do you plan on using grant money to get?
Posted: Mon, 5th Sep 2005, 7:56pm

Post 18 of 28

nanafanboy

Force: 690 | Joined: 1st Sep 2002 | Posts: 345

VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

I am trying to fund a low budget short film that pays homage to old Japanese Kaiju films. I need money for monster suits, miniatures, etc.
Posted: Tue, 6th Sep 2005, 12:42am

Post 19 of 28

rypcat

Force: 285 | Joined: 17th Nov 2002 | Posts: 115

FXhome Movie Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

I think that some of us are forgetting that there is more to life than just getting a job and making money. You should do what you find to be most fulfilling, be it filmmaking or football or getting a PhD in religious studies. Some people find satisfaction in life by learning and expanding their world horizons, and college is a great way to go about it. By learning about other things you learn more about yourself and what really makes you a happy person in life.
Posted: Tue, 6th Sep 2005, 2:05am

Post 20 of 28

Zeolahn

Force: 240 | Joined: 12th Jul 2005 | Posts: 114

EffectsLab Lite User

Gold Member

nanafanboy wrote:

I am trying to fund a low budget short film that pays homage to old Japanese Kaiju films. I need money for monster suits, miniatures, etc.
I don't mean to be rude dude, but there are only two ways to get money for your indie film. Borrowing it from "investors", or get a job, save up some cash, then use it to make your film.
Posted: Tue, 6th Sep 2005, 4:57am

Post 21 of 28

nanafanboy

Force: 690 | Joined: 1st Sep 2002 | Posts: 345

VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Okay Zeolahn... It appears you are under the impression that I am an idiot.

I understand borrowing money from investors. I understand paying for my own films (trust me on that one). I didn't ask "hey how do I get money for my movies" I asked about grants. I am curious what kind of grants are out there and how they work. So please either post something useful or keep your college/NFL bashing to yourself.

Sorry if it seems like I am being harsh but some of your comments have been aggrevating and the only person who has helped me at all with this topic is Mellifilous.
Posted: Tue, 6th Sep 2005, 4:58pm

Post 22 of 28

Zeolahn

Force: 240 | Joined: 12th Jul 2005 | Posts: 114

EffectsLab Lite User

Gold Member

There are no film grants. Some places say they give away money, but the requirements are so strict and retarded that not many can take advantage of that. Not to mention a real filmmaker should turn down handouts and work or it themselves. There are only two ways of funding your movie. The ones posted.

Ai laready posted something useful, emptying your bank account like real indie filmmakers do and pay for the movie yourself. Which someone agreed with whole-heartdily since that little statement got me a swell rating.

Sorry if I'm aggravating you, but you gotta accpet the fact that nobody is going to help you but yourself. Stop whining about being poor, and either make your movie or shut up.
Posted: Tue, 6th Sep 2005, 5:14pm

Post 23 of 28

rypcat

Force: 285 | Joined: 17th Nov 2002 | Posts: 115

FXhome Movie Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

I think this topic is getting a little too vehement, perhaps it could be closed?
Posted: Tue, 6th Sep 2005, 5:17pm

Post 24 of 28

Magic_man12

Force: 853 | Joined: 20th Mar 2002 | Posts: 1350

Windows User MacOS User

Member

funny thread... lol

first off - colleges are not a waste of time or money (im sure if you pick a real crap college and crap course it would be...)
If you had to name 2 directors that you thought were the most successful, made the most money, and most well known... who would you pick...

Speilburg, Lucas.

Both went to college. Going to college gives you all the stuff you need to know that you dont learn by mistakes.... Sure you can make movies over and over and over again... but if you have no education about it, dont know anything about any rules etc... your going to repeat the SAME mistakes and errors over and over again.

ok sure... the guys doing Project Valkryie droppoed out to make the film...but honestly.... do you think they are the only people to have done that?? no....How come i've never heard any other stories about people dropping out of college and making "real" films...?....
Just because it happens once, or a few times, doesn't mean it happens to alot of people... Im sure 10000's of people do the same thing and dont get anywhere.

I work as a web designer right now... most of the stuff I do I knew how to do in high school... would I have gotten the job right out of high school doing the same job? no - i had to have a fancy peice of paper that said I knew how to do it. (+ i learned a crap load lol)

Go to college. If you do it opens a hundred more doors for you to pick from than not going.... where you may only have 2....

-MAGIC
Posted: Tue, 6th Sep 2005, 7:00pm

Post 25 of 28

ben3308

Force: 5210 | Joined: 24th May 2004 | Posts: 6433

VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Whoever gave me that -1 an hour ago- probably Zeolahn- is a freakin' idiot. I'm sorry, it's the truth. Take 100 kids who graduated high school this year. I can guarantee you the ones that go to college are going to make more money and most likely be more successful in life than those that don't. Do you want to work at McDonald's for the rest of your life? Say a business has two people to choose from. Both are equally qualified, except for the fact that one went to college. College guy gets the job, because he didn't solely recieve a bare-minimum, state-mandated education. He went further in his academics, which is what is necessary to be an autonomous, healthy human being.

Grants aren't pheasible? College is a waste?

Well, Zeolahn, it's obvious you didn't go to college, because you've said some of the stupidest things I've ever heard in the entirety of my existence.

Oh, and good luck at Mickey D's. Maybe you'll make manager someday.
Posted: Tue, 6th Sep 2005, 8:22pm

Post 26 of 28

nanafanboy

Force: 690 | Joined: 1st Sep 2002 | Posts: 345

VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

I apologize to everyone about this thread. When I started it I didn't want it turn into a big argument. Some people are just being ridiculous. If Someone has information about grants then please feel free to post them. If you are simply going to argue or make outrageous claims and rate other members down then keep your opinions and rantings to yourself.

Thank you
Posted: Tue, 6th Sep 2005, 8:40pm

Post 27 of 28

Mellifluous

Force: 5604 | Joined: 6th Oct 2002 | Posts: 3782

EffectsLab Pro User Windows User

Gold Member

Zeolahn, calm down. Instead of going down the road you have, which is ramming your opinion down other people's throats so hard it's making you choke, you could have just offered it as another possible alternative. Just because you've done it doesn't mean everyone has to bow and follow suit. Kudos for being brave and going down that route, but everyone's different and could be successful doing things differently.

It is true that you have to jump through a few hoops with some funders, but there are probably many out there that would be able to support nanafanboy. Anyways, it's for him to discover for himself.
Posted: Tue, 6th Sep 2005, 9:21pm

Post 28 of 28

Zeolahn

Force: 240 | Joined: 12th Jul 2005 | Posts: 114

EffectsLab Lite User

Gold Member

This entire thing started because a simple statement, "YOu have to make a choice, film or school" was taken out of context.

I didn't mean school or film period, I meant either make the movie now and do school later, or do school now and do the film later. If you do not have the money for both at once, you MUST choose one.