You are viewing an archive of the old fxhome.com forums. The community has since moved to hitfilm.com.

Which films are you looking forward to this year?

Posted: Fri, 13th Jan 2006, 2:20am

Post 1 of 43

Alex Reeve

Force: 470 | Joined: 3rd Oct 2005 | Posts: 364

MacOS User

Member

With Munich and Brokeback Mountain about to hit the screens here in the UK, it's looking like it could be a quality year for films. So which are you anticipating the most?

I'm personally looking forward to:

1) El Laberinto del Fauno / Pan's Labyrinth
Dark fantasy from Guillermo del Toro, director of Blade 2 & Hellboy.

Trailer

2) Flight 93
Could potentially be very controversial, but director Paul Greengrass has proved be can handle sensitive material with Bloody Sunday.

Trailer

3) Silent Hill
I don't expect a masterpiece, but there's some talent on both sides of the camera. Should easily be the best video game >movie adaptation.

Trailer

4) Superman Returns
I have my doubts, but I'm a lifelong Superman fanatic, so I'll be there opening day.

Trailer

5) Tideland
Another dark fantasy, this time from Terry Gilliam (a genius imho). It's had some very mixed early reviews and distribution troubles, so it may be a while...

Website
Posted: Fri, 13th Jan 2006, 2:41am

Post 2 of 43

rogolo

Force: 5436 | Joined: 29th May 2005 | Posts: 1513

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 4 User MacOS User

Gold Member

So far, just looking forward to 5-25-77, MI:3, and I guess X-Men 3, and The Wiggles Movie 2: Fun with Semi-Automoatic Guns.

Last edited Fri, 13th Jan 2006, 2:45am; edited 1 times in total.

Posted: Fri, 13th Jan 2006, 2:41am

Post 3 of 43

Frank Grimes

Force: 1255 | Joined: 15th May 2005 | Posts: 80

CompositeLab Pro User EffectsLab Pro User FXpreset Maker Windows User

Gold Member

I'll avoid the more obvious summer blockbusters which i'll definately go see. (Hint, the number 3 is in the titles).

There's 2 more i'll probably go see:

Miami Vice - big michael mann fan

Lady in the Water - M Night Shyamalan's new movie. Hoping to god its better than the shite that was The Village.

I'll name a few more later.
Posted: Fri, 13th Jan 2006, 3:17am

Post 4 of 43

Framen Noodles

Force: 0 | Joined: 18th Dec 2005 | Posts: 44

Windows User MacOS User

Member

rogolo wrote:

So far, just looking forward to 5-25-77, MI:3, and I guess X-Men 3, and The Wiggles Movie 2: Fun with Semi-Automoatic Guns.
The Wiggles? What the deuce is that about?

I am looking foward to X-Men 3 as well, that's about it. Nothing looks really groundbreaking.
Posted: Fri, 13th Jan 2006, 3:26am

Post 5 of 43

starfan

Force: 325 | Joined: 27th Mar 2005 | Posts: 353

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User FXpreset Maker

Gold Member

"Which films are you looking forward to this year?"



good ones smile. depends what catches my eye but super-man all the way
Posted: Fri, 13th Jan 2006, 10:24am

Post 6 of 43

Simon K Jones

Force: 27955 | Joined: 1st Jan 2002 | Posts: 11683

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 5 Pro User MuzzlePlug User PowerPlug User PhotoKey 3 Plug-in User FXhome Movie Maker FXpreset Maker Windows User

FXhome Team Member

Ones I'm really looking forward to:

V for Vendetta

The Fountain

Munich

Syriana

Good Night, Good Luck

Brokeback Mountain

And a couple of maybes:

Superman

X3
Posted: Fri, 13th Jan 2006, 10:31am

Post 7 of 43

sfbmovieco

Force: 2354 | Joined: 19th Mar 2002 | Posts: 1552

VideoWrap User PhotoKey 2 User Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

A Scanner Darkly

Pirates of the Carribean 2

Lady In The Water

The Benchwarmers

Zodiac

The Number 23

and

Munich

Some may not come out this year, just going by IMDB


EDIT: How dare I forget Date Movie!
Posted: Fri, 13th Jan 2006, 10:39am

Post 8 of 43

NickF

Force: 2726 | Joined: 4th Jun 2004 | Posts: 933

EffectsLab Pro User MacOS User FXhome Movie Maker

Gold Member

rogolo wrote:

So far, just looking forward to 5-25-77, MI:3, and I guess X-Men 3, and The Wiggles Movie 2: Fun with Semi-Automoatic Guns.
DON'T DISS THE WIGGLES! (i still have the videos from my childhood razz)
Posted: Fri, 13th Jan 2006, 11:32am

Post 9 of 43

Cogz

Force: 16050 | Joined: 18th Jun 2002 | Posts: 674

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 5 Pro User MuzzlePlug User PowerPlug User FXpreset Maker Windows User MacOS User

FXhome Team Member

X-Men 3, despite the polystyrene looking sets from the trailer, I still think I'll enjoy it.

Superman Returns, well, gotta see this one, I certainly hope Singer has done a good job; otherwise I'll shoot him for leaving X3.

Sin City 2, I really enjoyed the first one, looking forward to getting the 2 disc special edition when it comes out here in the UK soon.

The Da Vinci Code, not had chance to read the book yet, but certainly looks like an intriguing storyline.

Casino Royale (007), I'm a huge Bond fan, however not pleased with the way the latest films have been done, hopefully this one which will be based on the first book will get back into the original bond-esque gritty style which I liked from the classic earlier films.

Mission Impossible III, wasn't too keen on the second, so thought this might be scraping the barrel, until I saw the trailer, wow, certainly looks good.
Posted: Fri, 13th Jan 2006, 8:07pm

Post 10 of 43

Frozenpede

Force: 630 | Joined: 28th Jan 2004 | Posts: 1113

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User

Gold Member

Flight 93 could go two ways: 1.) its a powerful film of men and women standing up and doing what they have to in the tradition of Alamo or 2.) it could be a sickening liberal propaganda movie trying to use 9-11 to make a point.

A movie about 9-11 has to be about the story and about courage, fear, pain, loss, gain. It cant be "oh look at poor muslims forced to do this" or any other liberal agenda...it has to be what it was.

Anyway Im looking forward to:

Pirates of the Carribean 2

A New World

Looking for Comedy in the Muslim World
now this movie just looks funny and I think its Mel Brooks son (Albert Brooks?)
http://wip.warnerbros.com/lookingforcomedy/LFC_content.html

Poseidon
it has the girl from Phantom of the Opera so Im curious
http://www.apple.com/trailers/wb/poseidon/large.html
Posted: Fri, 13th Jan 2006, 8:45pm

Post 11 of 43

Waser

Force: 4731 | Joined: 7th Sep 2003 | Posts: 3111

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 2 Pro User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

SuperUser

Pirates of the Carribiean 2
X3
V for Vendetta
Silent Hill (pyramid head was in the trailer. this will be the best movie of the year)
Superman

Other than that, I think this year's line up so to speak looks really dull. More than any movie this year though, I am most looking forward to season 2 of Lost.
Posted: Fri, 13th Jan 2006, 10:22pm

Post 12 of 43

Serpent

Force: 5426 | Joined: 26th Dec 2003 | Posts: 6515

CompositeLab Pro User EffectsLab Pro User FXhome Movie Maker FXpreset Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

A New World, Vendetta, POTC2 (most anticipated), Silent Hill, X3, and MI3 (even though MI2 was a joke, the literally wrote action scenes, and then wrote a story around it), Looking for Comedy in the Muslim World (interviews on the Daily Show had me interested), and last but not least of course, Jurassic Park 4.

Bolded are the ones I can't wait for the most. JP4 is probably going to be much worse than 1 or 2, but I still want to see it. It may not even be released in 2K6, but it's a possibility.
Posted: Fri, 13th Jan 2006, 11:18pm

Post 13 of 43

Aculag

Force: 8365 | Joined: 21st Jun 2002 | Posts: 8581

EffectsLab Lite User VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

Serpent, show me some information on Jurassic Park 4. Also, when you say:

JP4 is probably going to be much worse than 1 or 2
Do you mean it's probably going to be much worse than 2 or 3? Because 1 is great.

I guess I'm looking forward to V and Xmen 3, and Lady In The Water, and I don't really know much else. Maybe Silent Hill, although I get the feeling it'll be awful and overhyped.
Posted: Sat, 14th Jan 2006, 12:36am

Post 14 of 43

Simon K Jones

Force: 27955 | Joined: 1st Jan 2002 | Posts: 11683

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 5 Pro User MuzzlePlug User PowerPlug User PhotoKey 3 Plug-in User FXhome Movie Maker FXpreset Maker Windows User

FXhome Team Member

Frozenpede wrote:

Flight 93 could go two ways: 1.) its a powerful film of men and women standing up and doing what they have to in the tradition of Alamo or 2.) it could be a sickening liberal propaganda movie trying to use 9-11 to make a point.
Don't forget 3.) it could be a sickening right-wing, reactionary propaganda movie trying to use 9-11 to make a point. smile

However, I would ask....what exactly is wrong with 'making a point'? Surely that is what art is all about? Entertainment doesn't need to make a point, but I doubt you'd class Flight 93 as entertainment. So surely it's almost its responsibility to make a point, of some kind?

A movie about 9-11 has to be about the story and about courage, fear, pain, loss, gain.
It doesn't have to be about anything. It can be about whatever the filmmakers want, based on their own views. Based on, you know, that whole freedom of speech thing.

It cant be "oh look at poor muslims forced to do this" or any other liberal agenda...
Terrorist actions have no justification, obviously. But how is examining the root causes of something a 'liberal agenda', as if analysing something intelligently and rationally is a bad thing? The terrorists didn't do what they did "because they were Muslim", they had their reasons. Sure, there line of logic was completely fubared and there is absolutely no justification for the decisions they made - but there are reasons. Where there is a symptom, there's always a cause.

Of course, the movie could avoid all politics and just focus on the people on the plane. I'd argue that would almost inevitably end up as a fairly awful tv-movie style cheese-fest, however.

A movie about 9/11 needs to be political, if you ask me, because the entire event was political. To do otherwise would be missing the point and a big opportunity. Note I'm not saying it should be a liberal movie - I don't care particularly which angle the filmmakers would take, as long as they took one and prompted debate. Sitting on the fence, or ignoring the realities entirely would be very irresponsible.

it has to be what it was.
Except, how on earth do you pin down what it was?

I guess what I'm saying is...you have to be aware there's always several sides to it, and if you utterly ignore the so-called 'liberal' point of view simply out of some bizarre principal that sees liberal thinking as an evil, then you'll be missing out on some important information and intepretation.

Anyway Im looking forward to:

Pirates of the Carribean 2

A New World
Ah yes, I'm looking forward to both of those, too! I'm skeptical of PotC2, as I felt the first one was a very mixed affair. But if they can take the winning aspects of it and dump/fix the bad bits, then it could be damn good entertainment.

New World is Terrence Malick...so 'nuff said, really.
Posted: Sat, 14th Jan 2006, 1:14am

Post 15 of 43

sfbmovieco

Force: 2354 | Joined: 19th Mar 2002 | Posts: 1552

VideoWrap User PhotoKey 2 User Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

Rating: +1

Tarn wrote:

and if you utterly ignore the so-called 'liberal' point of view simply out of some bizarre principal that sees liberal thinking as an evil, then you'll be missing out on some important information and intepretation.
...Is that wrong? twisted hehe

I sincerely hope this movie just serves as a reminder that we cannot take freedom for granted. Liberal.Conservative. These words are afterthoughts to the true concern which is to defend freedom. The reason that we can sit here and say which movies we will be waiting for is a true testimony to that fact.

More films I am looking forward to watch is November and Tristram Shandy: A Cock & Bull Story
Posted: Sat, 14th Jan 2006, 2:12am

Post 16 of 43

Frank Grimes

Force: 1255 | Joined: 15th May 2005 | Posts: 80

CompositeLab Pro User EffectsLab Pro User FXpreset Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Another one I just remembered is The Departed aka the Infernal Affairs remake. Loved the original and the 2 sequels, actually quite excited about this one.
Posted: Sat, 14th Jan 2006, 2:23am

Post 17 of 43

Atom

Force: 4300 | Joined: 9th May 2004 | Posts: 7014

EffectsLab Lite User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

In order of importance:

Superman Returns
The DaVinci Code
X3
Miami Vice
Pirates of the Carribean 2
Flight 93

Can't think if any more of them right now.
Posted: Sat, 14th Jan 2006, 10:59am

Post 18 of 43

boffa86

Force: 890 | Joined: 18th Jun 2003 | Posts: 641

EffectsLab Lite User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Pirates of the carribean 2
http://www.apple.com/trailers/disney/piratesofcaribbean2/

007: casino royale
http://www.sonypictures.com/movies/casinoroyale/site/

flight 93
http://www.apple.com/trailers/universal/flight93/

jurassic park 4 (if it comes out this year)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0369610/

x-men 3
http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox/x3/hd/

superman returns
http://www.apple.com/trailers/wb/supermanreturns/hd/

final destination 3
http://www.apple.com/trailers/newline/finaldestination3/

ice age 2
http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox/ice_age_2/

cars
http://www.apple.com/trailers/disney/cars/hd/

mission: impossible 3
http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramount/missionimpossibleiii/

big mommas house 2
http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox/bigmommashouse2/

V for vendetta
http://www.apple.com/trailers/wb/v_for_vendetta/trailer/

the pink panther
http://www.apple.com/trailers/sony_pictures/thepinkpanther/

terminator 4
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0438488/
Posted: Sat, 14th Jan 2006, 11:33am

Post 19 of 43

Andreas

Force: 4943 | Joined: 9th Apr 2002 | Posts: 2657

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 2 Pro User MuzzlePlug User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User MacOS User

SuperUser

Somewhat in this Order:

Clerks 2
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0424345/

Nacho Libre
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0457510/

The Fantastic mr Fox
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0432283/

Andrew Henry's Meadow
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0407526/

5-25-77
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0326716/

Hell Ride
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0411475/

Idiocracy
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0387808/

Good Night, And Good Luck
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0433383/

The Martian Child
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0415965/

+ Pirates 2, Casino Royale, Superman, X-Men. Ice Age: The Meltdown, M:I-3


Films I haven't yet seen/haven't been released here, from 2005:

The Wendell Baker Story
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0373445/

Shopgirl
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0338427/

The Chumscrubber
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0406650/

Thumbsucker
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0318761/
Posted: Sat, 14th Jan 2006, 11:51am

Post 20 of 43

er-no

Force: 9531 | Joined: 24th Sep 2002 | Posts: 3964

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 2 Pro User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User MacOS User

SuperUser

V for Vendetta
X-Men 3
MI:3
Ice Age 2
Da Vinci Code


Superman is teh lame, I hope to be proven otherwise though. smile So 'Superman Returns' goes on my 'expected to be shockingly bad list' biggrin
Posted: Sat, 14th Jan 2006, 6:22pm

Post 21 of 43

film freak

Force: 1353 | Joined: 18th Sep 2004 | Posts: 1109

Windows User MacOS User

Member

Ice age 2
Pirates of the carribean 2
Casino Royale
Da Vinci code
Jurassic park 4 (hopefully)
Posted: Sat, 14th Jan 2006, 6:29pm

Post 22 of 43

Serpent

Force: 5426 | Joined: 26th Dec 2003 | Posts: 6515

CompositeLab Pro User EffectsLab Pro User FXhome Movie Maker FXpreset Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

Aculag wrote:

Serpent, show me some information on Jurassic Park 4. Also, when you say:

JP4 is probably going to be much worse than 1 or 2
Do you mean it's probably going to be much worse than 2 or 3? Because 1 is great.

I guess I'm looking forward to V and Xmen 3, and Lady In The Water, and I don't really know much else. Maybe Silent Hill, although I get the feeling it'll be awful and overhyped.
No, I loved 1, so it will be much worse than it. I don't count 3, if it is worse than that then babies will cry everywhere. I have no info about it, but on the IMDB it says '06, but still in pre-prod. I doubt it will be released.

Forgot about Ice Age 2, add that into the mix.
Posted: Sat, 14th Jan 2006, 6:32pm

Post 23 of 43

Waser

Force: 4731 | Joined: 7th Sep 2003 | Posts: 3111

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 2 Pro User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

SuperUser

er-no wrote:



Superman is teh lame, I hope to be proven otherwise though. smile So 'Superman Returns' goes on my 'expected to be shockingly bad list' biggrin
I actually hate superman, but I think the trailer looks kind of neat.
Posted: Sat, 14th Jan 2006, 6:39pm

Post 24 of 43

er-no

Force: 9531 | Joined: 24th Sep 2002 | Posts: 3964

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 2 Pro User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User MacOS User

SuperUser

Waser wrote:

er-no wrote:



Superman is teh lame, I hope to be proven otherwise though. smile So 'Superman Returns' goes on my 'expected to be shockingly bad list' biggrin
I actually hate superman, but I think the trailer looks kind of neat.
Nice girly music and some slow shots.
The best thing about that trailer was the end, and by that I mean it finished. Compare that trailer to a V for Vendetta trailer where Natalie Portman gets her hair shaved off? I know which one made me more weak at the knees.

Although the jump in the Superman trailer was cool.

biggrin
Posted: Sat, 14th Jan 2006, 7:10pm

Post 25 of 43

Simon K Jones

Force: 27955 | Joined: 1st Jan 2002 | Posts: 11683

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 5 Pro User MuzzlePlug User PowerPlug User PhotoKey 3 Plug-in User FXhome Movie Maker FXpreset Maker Windows User

FXhome Team Member

er-no wrote:

The best thing about that trailer was the end, and by that I mean it finished. Compare that trailer to a V for Vendetta trailer where Natalie Portman gets her hair shaved off? I know which one made me more weak at the knees.
Ooh, not tonIGHT!
Posted: Sat, 14th Jan 2006, 8:21pm

Post 26 of 43

Aculag

Force: 8365 | Joined: 21st Jun 2002 | Posts: 8581

EffectsLab Lite User VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

Serpent wrote:

if it is worse than that then babies will cry everywhere.
I think that will happen anyway.
Posted: Sat, 14th Jan 2006, 8:33pm

Post 27 of 43

Simon K Jones

Force: 27955 | Joined: 1st Jan 2002 | Posts: 11683

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 5 Pro User MuzzlePlug User PowerPlug User PhotoKey 3 Plug-in User FXhome Movie Maker FXpreset Maker Windows User

FXhome Team Member

I actually really liked Jurassic Park 3. It's not a patch on JP1, obviously, because JP1 is a classic. But I thought JP3 was a much more successful film than JP2, overall.

However, I wasn't aware that Jurassic Park 4 had even started pre-production, let alone shooting, so I can't imagine it's out this year?
Posted: Sat, 14th Jan 2006, 8:59pm

Post 28 of 43

Alex Reeve

Force: 470 | Joined: 3rd Oct 2005 | Posts: 364

MacOS User

Member

Jurassic Park 3 is underrated imho - It's got a great script (courtesy of Alexander Payne and Jim Taylor of "Sideways" fame), likeable characters and some great action, in particular the birdcage sequence. It's one of those rare films I actually wish was longer.

The Lost World is a sloppy, mean-spirited, charmless film by comparison.

There was talk of JP 4 involving trained dinosaurs taking down drug dealers and the like. Hopefully that idea has been scrapped!
Posted: Sat, 14th Jan 2006, 9:09pm

Post 29 of 43

Serpent

Force: 5426 | Joined: 26th Dec 2003 | Posts: 6515

CompositeLab Pro User EffectsLab Pro User FXhome Movie Maker FXpreset Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

JP3=SW Ep. 1, worst film out of a great series, which makes it worse in my eyes than it really was. But anyways, I heard JP4 involved Velociraptors to the max, and they become really really intelligent and stuff. That could turn out cool.
Posted: Sat, 14th Jan 2006, 9:30pm

Post 30 of 43

er-no

Force: 9531 | Joined: 24th Sep 2002 | Posts: 3964

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 2 Pro User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User MacOS User

SuperUser

Jurrasic Park 3 was imo very good. JP2 tried to beat JP1. Which is pretty darn impossible (tried to reintroduce the dinosaurs and kinda pretend JP1 never happened. And the girl beating the raptor with some gymnastic moves. What was that barn built for frickin gymnastics... lame.)

JP3 was well shot and had a lovely crisp edge to it which actually caused it at some points to be rather thrilling. Much more how a dinosaur film should be.

I also like Raptors and wish I was one.

JP1>JP3>JP2.
Posted: Sat, 14th Jan 2006, 11:17pm

Post 31 of 43

boffa86

Force: 890 | Joined: 18th Jun 2003 | Posts: 641

EffectsLab Lite User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

what ive read somewhe that everyone who was in jurassic park 1 except those who died in it signed to be a part of jurassic park 4
i hope this is true! jurassic park is not jurassic park without dr grant, dr sattler, John Hammond and dr malcolm smile
Posted: Sat, 14th Jan 2006, 11:28pm

Post 32 of 43

Klut

Force: 2120 | Joined: 16th Apr 2004 | Posts: 1585

VisionLab User FXpreset Maker Windows User MacOS User FXhome Movie Maker

Gold Member

I've been waiting for X-men 3 a darn long time, and I still find it very exciting. I hope it's gooood.


I'm also looking forward to Sin City 2 and V for Vendeta.
Posted: Tue, 17th Jan 2006, 3:26am

Post 33 of 43

Frozenpede

Force: 630 | Joined: 28th Jan 2004 | Posts: 1113

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User

Gold Member

Frozenpede wrote:

it has to be what it was.

Tarn wrote:

Except, how on earth do you pin down what it was?
what it was was a big explosion that went boom and people died. Now what people thought as it happened and what it looked like and how it felt can all be part of what it was. What happened outside, that wasnt 9-11, it may be leading up to 9-11... or it may not be...in reality we really dont know. We can guess and we can brain strom that this resolution lead to this or this sideways glance created that....but we dont know. What it was is what it was: a big boom and lots of blood and lots of tears. When you take that and you start putting things like "Its our fault because..." and other guesses, assumptions or predictions is like the guy in a movie theater that wont stop spouting his opinion at every little scene when the event is already taking place in front of him. I say liberal twist because lets be honest....the last movie that was made based on recent history with a conservative twist was a John Wayne flick.


haha its ironic that Tarn and I seam to like so many of the same movies and yet we have such vastly different views on politics in particular smile (I'm thinking of your listing A New World and of course Serenity)
Posted: Tue, 17th Jan 2006, 10:21am

Post 34 of 43

Simon K Jones

Force: 27955 | Joined: 1st Jan 2002 | Posts: 11683

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 5 Pro User MuzzlePlug User PowerPlug User PhotoKey 3 Plug-in User FXhome Movie Maker FXpreset Maker Windows User

FXhome Team Member

Frozenpede wrote:

What it was is what it was: a big boom and lots of blood and lots of tears. When you take that and you start putting things like "Its our fault because..." and other guesses, assumptions or predictions is like the guy in a movie theater that wont stop spouting his opinion at every little scene when the event is already taking place in front of him.
I think the worry I have about not 'getting into it' is that the movie would end up being like Die Hard on a plane. Sure, it'd be more serious, but essentially you'd have a bunch of Americans on a plane trying to take out some Muslim terrorists. Certainly, it has a tragic ending, but the core of the film could come across as being very exploitative. I also worry that without any kind of context (either political, social, historical) the film would end up with a very skewed 'message' - especially for young people who know little about the situation.

It's not about going down the "It's our fault because..." route, because that's way too innaccurate and simplified (and sounds like conservative, knee-jerking paranoia razz ). It's more about looking at it from as many angles as possible. Not necessarily to give people answers, but at least to raise some questions and get people thinking.

I say liberal twist because lets be honest....the last movie that was made based on recent history with a conservative twist was a John Wayne flick.
What about Forrest Gump?

haha its ironic that Tarn and I seam to like so many of the same movies and yet we have such vastly different views on politics in particular smile (I'm thinking of your listing A New World and of course Serenity)
Indeed. I think it goes to show that political views aren't as necessarily diametric as people think just because they disagree on fundamental points. There's always a middle-ground, sensible solution somewhere.
Posted: Tue, 17th Jan 2006, 1:35pm

Post 35 of 43

Frozenpede

Force: 630 | Joined: 28th Jan 2004 | Posts: 1113

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User

Gold Member

hmmm... I think the story itself gets people thinking really. As far as Die Hard on a plane I think it has more depth to it because its real. Die Hard is just lots of fighting meant to impress you while Flight 93 really happened..... now how accurate the movie is I have no way of knowing but its grounded in a very real reality. Haha you say knee jerk reactionism from the conservatives...its funny because Ive always seen it has being the other way around with liberals reacting to emotions on the drop of a dime, but defining ideologies is a whole other matter that could take up pages.

The Day After Tommorow was killed for me because it came off as a leftist movie to me....Syrriana looks much the same, and Im afraid that the trend will continue with this movie. Haha Forrest Gump? where does that become overly conservative?

When it comes to movies about 9-11, lets say Im a purist. It dosnt need anything added to it to make it more, its enough in itself.
Posted: Tue, 17th Jan 2006, 2:41pm

Post 36 of 43

Simon K Jones

Force: 27955 | Joined: 1st Jan 2002 | Posts: 11683

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 5 Pro User MuzzlePlug User PowerPlug User PhotoKey 3 Plug-in User FXhome Movie Maker FXpreset Maker Windows User

FXhome Team Member

Frozenpede wrote:

hmmm... I think the story itself gets people thinking really. As far as Die Hard on a plane I think it has more depth to it because its real. Die Hard is just lots of fighting meant to impress you while Flight 93 really happened..... now how accurate the movie is I have no way of knowing but its grounded in a very real reality.
True, but by dramatising it you inevitably inject it with a massive dosage of fiction. It's not an event I particularly want to see dramatised - certainly not yet. I'd argue that a documentary would be far more useful.

Haha you say knee jerk reactionism from the conservatives...its funny because Ive always seen it has being the other way around with liberals reacting to emotions on the drop of a dime,
Yes, that's the way it always goes. smile Knee-jerking is an unfortunate trait common to everyone, no matter their political views. razz

The Day After Tommorow was killed for me because it came off as a leftist movie to me....
Hm, I know what you mean, but it seemed more like leftist comedy to me. The Americans all streaming across the border into Mexico, for example. Most amusing, but it was hardly trying to make a serious political point. To think otherwise would be to take it too seriously, I think. smile

The environmental stuff is another issue, of course. While the film goes way OTT and ignores realism for drama's sake (in the process making quite an entertaining film, in my opinion), I don't think you can especially accuse it of having an agenda.

The environment is going down the toilet, that's pretty obvious no matter which way you look at it, it's not really got anything to with politics. The film did touch upon the current US government's reluctance to actually do anything about it, but, then, that's just the way it is. wink

Syrriana looks much the same, and Im afraid that the trend will continue with this movie.
That's an overtly political movie, so it's a bit different. It's setting out to make a point. I don't think I'd actively avoid or dislike a film based entirely on its politics, though - filmmakers are entitled to an opinion, just because I don't like their views doesn't mean I can't enjoy/appreciate the film.

Haha Forrest Gump? where does that become overly conservative?
Gump is old fashioned, goes to war, believes in God, starts up a business, works hard, loves his mother, etc etc, and his life turns out brilliantly well - despite being a complete idiot that, in reality, would probably have been fairly screwed from the start.

Jenny, however, is into more liberal politics and is interested in change, and ends up becoming a drug user, anti-war in a stupid way, parties hard (with an implication that it's a bad thing), and then as a punishment for all that she dies, fairly clearly of AIDS, even though it isn't specified.

The message is be good and traditional and you'll be successful, if you try anything different you'll get AIDS and die. smile

Doesn't stop it being a very entertaining film, but the message is pretty heavy-handed and one-sided.
Posted: Tue, 17th Jan 2006, 3:41pm

Post 37 of 43

film freak

Force: 1353 | Joined: 18th Sep 2004 | Posts: 1109

Windows User MacOS User

Member

I also can't wait for Mission impossible III, After seeing the trailer. It looks awesome.
Posted: Tue, 17th Jan 2006, 6:59pm

Post 38 of 43

Remco Gerritsen

Force: 578 | Joined: 4th Mar 2005 | Posts: 517

EffectsLab Lite User FXpreset Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Can't wait for Saw III (if it is coming, but they deserved the whole budget back in the first weekend 15 times)

So probably it will be that there will be more killing by Mr. Jigsaw wink
Posted: Tue, 17th Jan 2006, 7:56pm

Post 39 of 43

Waser

Force: 4731 | Joined: 7th Sep 2003 | Posts: 3111

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 2 Pro User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

SuperUser

MI 3 could be good, because of JJ Abrahms. Saw sucked, but Saw II was pretty good, so I could look forward to a Saw III, but I doubt there is one in production
Posted: Wed, 18th Jan 2006, 1:42am

Post 40 of 43

film freak

Force: 1353 | Joined: 18th Sep 2004 | Posts: 1109

Windows User MacOS User

Member

Waser wrote:

MI 3 JJ Abrahms.
*Sits in utter awe*
Posted: Wed, 18th Jan 2006, 12:58pm

Post 41 of 43

Frozenpede

Force: 630 | Joined: 28th Jan 2004 | Posts: 1113

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User

Gold Member

Tarn wrote:

Frozenpede wrote:

hmmm... I think the story itself gets people thinking really. As far as Die Hard on a plane I think it has more depth to it because its real. Die Hard is just lots of fighting meant to impress you while Flight 93 really happened..... now how accurate the movie is I have no way of knowing but its grounded in a very real reality.
True, but by dramatising it you inevitably inject it with a massive dosage of fiction. It's not an event I particularly want to see dramatised - certainly not yet. I'd argue that a documentary would be far more useful.
well our conversation I think has proved that the film makers have done something right, because whether the movie is brilliant or absolute trash, we're talking about it haha.

I'm curious to see it but I really dont know what to expect. Meanwhile A New World comes out on Friday and Im trying to get some people together to go see it.
Posted: Wed, 18th Jan 2006, 11:36pm

Post 42 of 43

Bugclimber

Force: 1305 | Joined: 7th Jul 2004 | Posts: 635

CompositeLab Pro User EffectsLab Pro User FXhome Movie Maker FXpreset Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

Ugh, I miss '05 when I could look forward to GoF, Star Wars Ep. 3 (Not that it turned out to be that great), and most of all, King Kong (Best picture, IMO)....


Enough of my reminiscing. All I'm really excited about is Pirates of the Caribbean 2 (It BETTER not suck... although it very well may...), and Lady in The Water. I am making very well sure not to find out ANYTHING about this movie. It looks nice and mysterious, and I've only seen one movie in my life which I had no clue about: Spirited Away. I thought that made the movie AMAZING (not that it wasn't already.) We just went to see it one day cause we knew it won best animated picture, and it's probably my favorite animated film. (And i generally don't like anime biggrin) So yeah, I want to see LitW, but with NO base of knowledge.
Posted: Fri, 27th Jan 2006, 4:23pm

Post 43 of 43

pixelboy

Force: 3000 | Joined: 13th Feb 2005 | Posts: 439

VisionLab User VideoWrap User FXpreset Maker FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Aculag wrote:

Serpent, show me some information on Jurassic Park 4. Also, when you say:

JP4 is probably going to be much worse than 1 or 2
Do you mean it's probably going to be much worse than 2 or 3? Because 1 is great.

I guess I'm looking forward to V and Xmen 3, and Lady In The Water, and I don't really know much else. Maybe Silent Hill, although I get the feeling it'll be awful and overhyped.
idk, Jp 1 is my favorite film in history, but two wasnt that awful. 3, on the other hand, barely counts as a film at all-and my thoughts are that 4 will follow down that path, although i'll remain hopeful.