FXHome products for Mac Intel Chips?
Posted: Fri, 27th Oct 2006, 7:53pm
Post 1 of 19
I know this has been asked before but I was wondering if there have been any updates about a universal version of Fxhome products? I have a new Macbook pro and its really fast but it struggles to run FXlab and CompLab. When should we expect to be able to download a newer version?
Posted: Fri, 27th Oct 2006, 9:07pm
Post 2 of 19
As far as I am aware, there is still no set date for when the FXhome programs can make the move to universal binary. The last I heard (from Schwar, I believe), FXhome is still waiting for essential third party companies to take the necessary steps.
I haven't heard anything regarding this recently, so I imagine the circumstances have not changed. Once there are any developments with this, I am sure FXhome will begin to incorporate universal binary as quickly as possible.
Posted: Fri, 27th Oct 2006, 10:29pm
Post 3 of 19
Thank you Wizard!
Posted: Fri, 3rd Nov 2006, 7:31pm
Post 4 of 19
I will eagerly look forward to the day when FxHome products are universal
Posted: Sat, 4th Nov 2006, 2:35am
Post 5 of 19
Me too! Its driving me crazy trying to use the non universal version on my macbook pro. It runs, but very slow.
Posted: Sat, 4th Nov 2006, 7:46am
Post 6 of 19
If you want to speed things up, get on Adobe's case to release a new version of Director.
And i bet it still runs faster on your machine than on my g4.
Posted: Sat, 4th Nov 2006, 8:40am
Post 7 of 19
Axeman wrote:And i bet it still runs faster on your machine than on my g4.
Hehe - same here. 1.2 GhZ iBook G4 with 768MB of RAM. I feel your pain.
Posted: Sat, 4th Nov 2006, 5:41pm
Post 8 of 19
Mine probably runs slower actually. Click on the link in my signature to see what my problems are.
Posted: Sat, 4th Nov 2006, 11:13pm
Post 9 of 19
my 1.67ghz powerbook g4 is painfully slow at rendering anything and have been contemplating over purchasing a refurb macbook pro rev. a but until then i won't know what non-universal apps feel like. it's hard for me to imagine it not being even just slightly faster. is it slow like the fastest powermac dual g5 knowing it could and should be running twice as fast?
Posted: Tue, 19th Dec 2006, 7:52pm
Post 10 of 19
*Anxiously awaits universal binary* My dual core MacBook Pro cant compete with my old single core Windows box....
Posted: Tue, 19th Dec 2006, 8:38pm
Post 11 of 19
If you run Windows and the Windows version of the software on your MacBook Pro it would really fly.
As it is we're being held back on the UB version at the moment, but the very latest version should be faster on Intel Mac than it was on any G4 system and most G5 systems.
We are doing our best to get this sorted and we'll keep you up-to-date.
Posted: Wed, 20th Dec 2006, 6:42am
Post 12 of 19
I just don't want to reboot into Windows (Boot Camp) to just use ELab and CLab. It's okay, I can wait a little longer.
I know you guys are doing your best. I am a patient man.
Thanks for the input Schwar!
Posted: Tue, 26th Dec 2006, 5:25am
Post 13 of 19
On our macbook it doesn't slow down considerably until we have 100's of effect filters in it.
Posted: Wed, 24th Jan 2007, 3:51am
Post 14 of 19
schwar wrote:If you run Windows and the Windows version of the software on your MacBook Pro it would really fly.
I think it would be a nice gesture to allow Mac customers to temporarily use the Windows version of Vlab (to be run under BootCamp or Parallels), to take advantage of greater speed while we wait for the UB to be completed. Of course this would be optional. Once it's available we can ditch our Windows copy and move back to the Mac side.
Just an idea. Either way I think I will be a new Vlab user as of this week.. before Friday's discount goes away.
Posted: Wed, 24th Jan 2007, 3:55am
Post 15 of 19
ccirelli: That would be awesome, but FXhome would have to be very careful with how they go about it, making sure that they can cancel licenses and what not when they release a UB version.
Posted: Wed, 24th Jan 2007, 3:59am
Post 16 of 19
Ya I suppose that might be a bit of a logistics nightmare, especially with such a large Mac user base (I'm assuming).
Posted: Sat, 27th Jan 2007, 7:54pm
Post 17 of 19
Anyone running CompositeLab an an Intel Mac?
I asked in the CompositeLab forum, but no answers yet, so I figured I'd try here.
Posted: Sat, 27th Jan 2007, 8:03pm
Post 18 of 19
Well I'm running Vlab, haven't done a whole lot yet but I would imagine you'd get around the same performance (assuming that is what you're asking for).
I'm reluctant to say "ya it runs fine on the Intel Mac under Rosetta".. I don't want the FXhome folks to see that and say "Oh see, it runs fine, let's hold off the UB version for a bit..." (joking). But since I don't have much to compare it to, it's hard to say if it's "slow".
I can tell you this - it's faster on my Intel iMac than AE 6.5 was on Dual G5 1.8 Power Mac. Perhaps not a fair comparison, just thought I'd mention it.
So yes it is definitely useable, but of course I'm eagerly (but patiently) awaiting the Intel-native or UB release.
Posted: Sat, 27th Jan 2007, 8:11pm
Post 19 of 19
Thanks, that helps. Yeah, a UB version would be nice...