You are viewing an archive of the old fxhome.com forums. The community has since moved to hitfilm.com.

Zombie Force

Posted: Thu, 2nd Nov 2006, 4:34pm

Post 1 of 41

Waser

Force: 4731 | Joined: 7th Sep 2003 | Posts: 3111

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 2 Pro User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

SuperUser

In the dead of night, they are coming.

ZOMBIE FORCE is the story of a nation overrun with ZOMBIES, and the four men who are given the task of taking them out.

A charismatic zombie by the name of Zombraham Lincoln has worked his way into the hearts of zombies and zombie sympathizers everywhere, and has even gotten a few governmental seats filled by zombies. ZOMBIES!!

It's up to a Colonel to train four juvenile delinquents into a pristine fighting force to save the United States, nay, FREEDOM itself, from the zombie threat.

The creative minds behind It's Coming join forces for one last FXHome film, and it somehow turned out to be like an hour long.

So on this most spooky of days, enjoy, ZOMBIE FORCE.


More Info
Posted: Thu, 2nd Nov 2006, 4:47pm

Post 2 of 41

Klut

Force: 2120 | Joined: 16th Apr 2004 | Posts: 1585

VisionLab User FXpreset Maker Windows User MacOS User FXhome Movie Maker

Gold Member

Awesome! Can't wait to see this!
(I'll write a review or something when I've actually seen it.)
Posted: Thu, 2nd Nov 2006, 5:01pm

Post 3 of 41

Xcession

Force: 42802 | Joined: 21st Mar 2001 | Posts: 1964

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 3 Pro User Windows User

SuperUser

Downloading now...slowly.

I don't doubt this is going to be the greatest thing since sliced wafer thin ham, but other people may need some justification for downloading 272MB. Can't you upload some shots from it or an example scene or something?
Posted: Thu, 2nd Nov 2006, 6:35pm

Post 4 of 41

Jazzmanian

Force: 765 | Joined: 3rd May 2006 | Posts: 719

CompositeLab Pro User Windows User

Gold Member

Not that I'm not willing to start the download process of that quarter GB .avi file when I get home tonight, but you don't happen to have a compressed version in .MOV or something lying about, do you?
Posted: Thu, 2nd Nov 2006, 6:53pm

Post 5 of 41

SurfBoy

Force: 30 | Joined: 14th Jul 2005 | Posts: 25

Member

The movie issssss an hour long though.
Posted: Thu, 2nd Nov 2006, 6:58pm

Post 6 of 41

Waser

Force: 4731 | Joined: 7th Sep 2003 | Posts: 3111

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 2 Pro User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

SuperUser

I have a smaller version, but it seriously just looks like mud flying around the screen.
Posted: Thu, 2nd Nov 2006, 8:55pm

Post 7 of 41

film freak

Force: 1353 | Joined: 18th Sep 2004 | Posts: 1109

Windows User MacOS User

Member

I can't wait to watch it!razz I'll download tonight, and post a reveiw soon.

Film Freak
Posted: Fri, 3rd Nov 2006, 6:33am

Post 8 of 41

B3N

Force: 3081 | Joined: 26th Feb 2006 | Posts: 1534

VisionLab User VideoWrap User FXpreset Maker Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

I can't belive you pulled that off!

I watched it last night and it was bloody brilliant.

The start of the film was good, as it shown you how the zombies were made. The camera work on the start was "alright" it picked up a lot of wind, but you maneged to pull that off, by doing rattling noises on the fence a bit.

The bit where the guys are pouring the waste in the well was really good, i liked how you made the music flow with the actions. I couldn't really understand why the dude was crying, but then when he ran off i realised why.

I loved the hand in the ground part that was class.
In the office was a pretty good setup, as we get introduced to the main charaters, and find out who they are. the lighting was good and you disguised the room well. Also the way you made the chief guy pusuade the four guys was well done, as they each have a certain problem. And i did think that the laughing was funny but was a little over reacted. good job on the winking tiltle bit biggrin

Locker room. This was a good set as well, as the guy was scared of zombies and you placed it in the right place of the film.


The first misson This was funny and good, the way you made the zombies act like normal people was brilliant. The fight scene was good but it really did'nt look like they were hitting each other. But then again they were using hammers smile
The music tied well between the fight and the guy on his own. i think you could have improved on the flamethrowe bit though




School that was a good bit with decent effects


Conel death This was good and i liked the words at the funerel, but i could see bits wrong with that, sometimes one off the team wasan't there but then sometimes they were close together and then the wide shots they were further away from each other

Best funny bit in the film The snowman made me seriously laugh out loud How could you pull such a funny thing off?

The rest
The rest of the film was good carrying on.

The whole thing
The whole thing is just a amazing zombie spoof, comedic, movie

I loved it and i'm giving you four stars, due to the amazing acting and comedic use.

Congrats man

B3N
Posted: Fri, 3rd Nov 2006, 7:53am

Post 9 of 41

Dancamfx

Force: 2558 | Joined: 7th Sep 2006 | Posts: 873

VisionLab User FXpreset Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

Do you think you could post one in a quicktime movie format?
Posted: Fri, 3rd Nov 2006, 11:44am

Post 10 of 41

Multiwagon

Force: 1513 | Joined: 2nd Jul 2006 | Posts: 494

CompositeLab Pro User EffectsLab Pro User FXpreset Maker Windows User

Gold Member

I liked it. I thought the beginning went rather slowly but maybe it was only for me. The one problem I really had with it was that the scene in the office went on for far to long. If you could have found a way to make it shorter it might have been better. I thoroughly enjoyed the second half. Especially the part with the porridge. That was my favorite part. Over all it was a good job. The camera and lighting work were done well and the sound (with the exception of the wind at the beginning) was also well done. 4/5
Posted: Fri, 3rd Nov 2006, 12:43pm

Post 11 of 41

Clintorules

Force: 725 | Joined: 15th May 2005 | Posts: 249

EffectsLab Pro User FXpreset Maker Windows User

Gold Member

well...yeah, overall, I’d have to say it was enjoyable.

There were some good parts, and some slightly annoying parts...some of the humor worked...some didn't...most of it did biggrin

The sound editing was the one thing that really bugged me. Nothing major...just occasionally the cut would come just a bit too soon, and cut off some of the dialog. That was about it...some nice faders could fix it.

As far as the shooting and cinematography, it was good. I think I’m gunna have that shot of the fence and the pad lock stuck in my head forever...

So yeah, good job!!!

Clinto
Posted: Sat, 4th Nov 2006, 11:45pm

Post 12 of 41

SurfBoy

Force: 30 | Joined: 14th Jul 2005 | Posts: 25

Member

Man, not a lot of comments on the mighty Zombie Force
Posted: Sun, 5th Nov 2006, 4:17pm

Post 13 of 41

B3N

Force: 3081 | Joined: 26th Feb 2006 | Posts: 1534

VisionLab User VideoWrap User FXpreset Maker Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

yeah, mabye the people who complained about the size, got zombiefyed by Waser
Posted: Sun, 5th Nov 2006, 6:50pm

Post 14 of 41

vilhelm nielsen

Force: 798 | Joined: 28th Jul 2003 | Posts: 345

EffectsLab Pro User FXpreset Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Man, that was awesome!

Enough said.
Posted: Mon, 6th Nov 2006, 12:44am

Post 15 of 41

er-no

Force: 9531 | Joined: 24th Sep 2002 | Posts: 3964

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 2 Pro User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User MacOS User

SuperUser

Hey Waser.

Well, I spoke to you about Zombie Force the other evening, and I couldn't help but sit back down after my first attempt to watch it and yeah.. watch it again. (you know the reason).

Anyways, overall, I'm saddened. Zombie Force had a pretty darn witty and funny script, especially the bit at the beginning with the tax dodge. It was well executed, timed and delivered, but the technical sides of the production throughout the movie let you down. I know that it was indeed no the technical you were going for, but I can't help but think about the wind when I hear it in a shot sad

I really appreciate and admire you and all involved who put together a film that lasts over the hour, thats just impressive. Yet I feel the downfall of this piece is only the technical issues which with a bit more time and I imagine people, could have been slightly ironed out so I could have enjoyed ZOMBIE FORCE to a much greater extent.

Really, I found myself chuckling away at the lines and script. The ending was slightly strange to me.

I'm saddened to hear this is the last fxhome entry? Why is this?

Overall. Zombie Force was great, I'm just doing a Brutus and attacking Julius (you)... I just remember telling you to sort out sound issues and technical bugs before...

Whats next then Waser? Hit me!
Posted: Mon, 6th Nov 2006, 2:57am

Post 16 of 41

Waser

Force: 4731 | Joined: 7th Sep 2003 | Posts: 3111

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 2 Pro User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

SuperUser

Thank you from the bottom of my heart to anyone who has taken an hour out of their day to watch this movie. I know having it be an hour long was asking a lot, but I have to thank those who have watched it.

Seems that the sound is the number one thing that is bugging people, especially in the first scene. The truth is that the first scene was shot, and during editing, the sound was so bad because of the wind that we went back and re-shot the whole thing, taking pauses when there minimal wind, attempting to block some with a jacket. Infact, when the main government guy delivers the line "INSIDIOUS" you not only can see the cameraman in his glasses, but someone blocking wind from the mic with his coat. so we re-shot it, and at least we thought it was much better, and only needed to do one voice over ("what about your dubya-three?"), and test screenings we had yeilded no complaints about the wind. Either way, this is definetly something I will be looking into fixing when we have wider screenings here at home, so I thank you for your feedback.

As for why this is the last fxhome film for me, there are several reasons. First of all, I just want a break after working on Zombie Force the ammount I did. It certainly was a hard 5 week shoot (which will some day be chronicled for your enjoyment). Also, I have a ton of school to focus on, and soon may have a paying job taking up more of of my time. There is also the fact that I may be leaving the country in the next few months to study film in Denmark, and upon my return, I will start pre-pre-pre-pre-pre production on a feature length movie with my good friend Chase Ames (who I co-wrote and co-directed Zombie Force with). However, I may shoot some shorter-than-zombie-force films in the upcoming months, and make a dvd of them availiable, taking after one of the greats here at fxhome (ER-NO IT'S YOU).

But I am far from leaving fxhome, I actually hope I never do. This place has given me too much, and is a gift that keeps on giving, and I would be doing myself a dis-service if I left for some reason. In fact, I'll probably be around even more, now that I'm on this little film-making sebatacle. Also, I have something I want to show all of fxhome soon enough, it just isn't quite.....ready.

I have recently submitted Zombie Force to the cinema in six chunks, each ranging from 15-20mb, so I hope that will make it less intimidating to those who would rather not wait 5 hours to download a movie they don't know they'll like.

Anyway, thanks again for the comments!
Posted: Mon, 6th Nov 2006, 4:49am

Post 17 of 41

ben3308

Force: 5210 | Joined: 24th May 2004 | Posts: 6433

VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

I found this mildly hilarious, haha. Congrats on another comedic escapade Waser, I thought it was pretty well done. Unfortunately, after sitting through 20 minutes of it, it got slow and I fast-forwarded in 2 minute increments about every 5 or 6 minutes, so I didn't sit through the entire thing, but what I saw was pretty funny. 3/5. It's be a 4, but where the technicals picked up to magnificence in placed, they fell to amateurism in others.
Posted: Mon, 6th Nov 2006, 7:35am

Post 18 of 41

Waser

Force: 4731 | Joined: 7th Sep 2003 | Posts: 3111

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 2 Pro User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

SuperUser

ben3308 wrote:

Unfortunately, after sitting through 20 minutes of it, it got slow and I fast-forwarded in 2 minute increments about every 5 or 6 minutes, so I didn't sit through the entire thing
I'm suprised to hear you say that, because if anything, I feel the first ten minutes are easily the slowest in the film, and was worried they would potentially scare off people from watching the rest.

also who knows, when you skipped over those two minutes every now and then, you may just have skipped over something from the movie that could have made it or broke if for you. Probably not, but you potentially could have gone right over a short sequence like the snowman one, and that would have made me sad.
Posted: Mon, 6th Nov 2006, 11:07pm

Post 19 of 41

ben3308

Force: 5210 | Joined: 24th May 2004 | Posts: 6433

VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

There was a snowman sequence? When? Maybe I'll have to sit and watch this whole thing all the way through...
Posted: Mon, 6th Nov 2006, 11:12pm

Post 20 of 41

Waser

Force: 4731 | Joined: 7th Sep 2003 | Posts: 3111

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 2 Pro User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

SuperUser

It's during the funeral sequence, and is possibly my most favorite part of the whole movie
Posted: Tue, 7th Nov 2006, 2:06am

Post 21 of 41

SurfBoy

Force: 30 | Joined: 14th Jul 2005 | Posts: 25

Member

ben3308 wrote:

There was a snowman sequence? When? Maybe I'll have to sit and watch this whole thing all the way through...
tard
Posted: Wed, 8th Nov 2006, 10:51am

Post 22 of 41

doone128

Force: 2200 | Joined: 31st Aug 2003 | Posts: 68

VisionLab User FXhome Movie Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

I've just finished watching this too. I thought it was pretty good! I actually laughed out loud at a few parts. The zombie hand in the ground was great and the snowman bit was just fabulous! Well done!
A few scenes could have been cut a bit shorter and the fight scenes were a tad weak (they don't hit each other! Cover the space with fake particle blood or summat!), but overall I enjoyed it.
Well done!
Posted: Wed, 8th Nov 2006, 12:05pm

Post 23 of 41

Bryce007

Force: 1910 | Joined: 5th Apr 2003 | Posts: 2609

VideoWrap User Windows User

Gold Member

Well, I watched all the way until the team is introduced in the office, and I've got to say, That span was the best the film had In my opinion. The Beginning (Minus the tax conversation) was pretty damn entertaining. The rest was...abit odd. The Snowman sequences was pretty entertaining as well. The rest I scanned through..


Overall though, I think because of my preferred style of humor, I'm not so qualified to objectively rate this film based on comedic merit, So, I'll comment on Technical merit.


And I'll just go ahead and say it: Technically, this movie was pretty rough. And that's a very good thing. Because the parts I laughed hardest at (The scene where someone falls into a green pit after dropping the funniest line in the movie) Was absolutely hilarious because of the technical inadequacies. I'd say a majority of the time, this movie's crappy fx and somewhat less than stellar acting is what made this incredibly funny in some parts.

If your aim was the above, then I commend you on making a great film. Either way, Your managed to make a feature length film. PERIOD. And that's friggin' impressive.
Posted: Thu, 9th Nov 2006, 5:30am

Post 24 of 41

King of Blades

Force: 1700 | Joined: 29th May 2006 | Posts: 794

EffectsLab Pro User Windows User

Gold Member

Hey, that was actually pretty good... although, I still have to download the last several parts.... the first part was pretty good, with the guy just sitting there smoking in the guy's face continuously...
Posted: Sun, 12th Nov 2006, 6:15pm

Post 25 of 41

SurfBoy

Force: 30 | Joined: 14th Jul 2005 | Posts: 25

Member

Bryce007 wrote:

Well, I watched all the way until the team is introduced in the office, and I've got to say, That span was the best the film had In my opinion. The Beginning (Minus the tax conversation) was pretty damn entertaining. The rest was...abit odd. The Snowman sequences was pretty entertaining as well. The rest I scanned through..


Overall though, I think because of my preferred style of humor, I'm not so qualified to objectively rate this film based on comedic merit, So, I'll comment on Technical merit.


And I'll just go ahead and say it: Technically, this movie was pretty rough. And that's a very good thing. Because the parts I laughed hardest at (The scene where someone falls into a green pit after dropping the funniest line in the movie) Was absolutely hilarious because of the technical inadequacies. I'd say a majority of the time, this movie's crappy fx and somewhat less than stellar acting is what made this incredibly funny in some parts.

If your aim was the above, then I commend you on making a great film. Either way, Your managed to make a feature length film. PERIOD. And that's friggin' impressive.
What is your prefered style of humor?
Posted: Mon, 13th Nov 2006, 3:13am

Post 26 of 41

hatsoff2halford

Force: 1360 | Joined: 6th Feb 2005 | Posts: 360

CompositeLab Pro User EffectsLab Pro User Windows User FXhome Movie Maker

Gold Member

Wow, Waser, you have exceeded my expecations for this... I have watched it twice, I can't get enough. Your humor is very similar to mine, so that's probably why I enjoyed this so much. I LOVE the Lost scene, it's executed perfectly. I could complain about some technical things, but to me it seems as if every part of this movie came together perfectly to make a masterpiece, including the technical problems.

I gave it a 5/5, awesome job.
Posted: Mon, 13th Nov 2006, 6:19am

Post 27 of 41

SurfBoy

Force: 30 | Joined: 14th Jul 2005 | Posts: 25

Member

hatsoff2halford wrote:

I LOVE the Lost scene, it's executed perfectly.
Good to see some true L O S T fans who got that scene.
Posted: Mon, 13th Nov 2006, 10:43pm

Post 28 of 41

Sollthar

Force: 13360 | Joined: 30th Oct 2001 | Posts: 6094

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 2 Pro User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User MacOS User

SuperUser

Rating: +1

So, finally I get round to writing my 2 cents after having seen the film for the first time quite some time ago. I've just watched it again and my impressions stay mostly the same.

First of all my serious congratulations for pulling off a 60 minute film like that. You've put quite some thought and effort into it and I commend you for having the nerve to bring it to an end. smile


Now to the actual film itself:

As you know, I'm a difficult crowd for comedies, as I'm the type that is quite picky at what to laugh about. And I'm especially difficult with slapstick or "weird/ridicolous" humour, for the lack of a better word, as I'm more the subtle satire or situation comedy type.

So some of the jokes worked for me (particularly at the beginning, the tax sheets dialogue was great) and some of the jokes didn't work for me (All of the costume design and the "acting all weird" stuff). Basically with humour it comes down to this for me: I only really laugh at stuff that could as well be taken seriously and is believable. So if something is OBVIOUSLY meant to be funny because it's so far fetched, chances are 99% I won't laugh at it.
And unfortunately, our humour styles don't match at all then. So all in all, I didn't find it funny.

With the humour not working for me, I was left with the rest of what the film had to offer in terms of it's production values, which were a bit of a mixed bag.

The camerawork switched from good to below average from shot to shot, with the occasional very good shot (eg the hand from below, which was obviously well planned and carried out). The average shot showed little attention to framing, light or narrative though, which was a bit of a letdown. I did notice that in some scenes you did use external lights, but the setup was often a non dramatic choice.
What was again well done though was the variety of shot types (close, medium-long, total etc) which made for a good visual pacing in many scenes.

The soundwork was well done, even though you had to deal with quite a noisy environment often and didn't seem to use an external recording device (which I'd recommend). Well done in the sense I could understand what was said - what was missing though was ambience sound to make your locations believable and acustically distinguishable or in other words, actual sounddesign. I could also HEAR most of the cuts, which is not good. sad If I can hear a cut, then there's something wrong. Cuts are unnatural and should flow as smoothly as possible, therefore is VITAL that there's no audio cuts hearable (blend the sounds, do sounddesign, anything).
The soundeffects you use for the guns, flamethrowers were well used, allthough seemed to be low HZ samples, which took away some of their impact. But they were well used.
What I really liked was the choice and use of the music. There were some great tracks used in the exact right moment. Good job there!

The editing appeared rough, also supported by the sound issue I've already adressed. When I can hear a cut, it sounds too hard. There were also some continuity problems if you look at people's movements or sometimes even lines. Some shots seemed to have the "action" command still in them, if you know what I mean. Still, the pacing side of the editing was well done again. I remember you feared that the beginning was too long; I actually thought it was the best part of the whole film (maybe also because it wasn't as ridicolous as the rest and I could watch it also for story and comedic value, after the moment those 4 guys walk in with their costumes you lost me on that side).
Then there was another thing I noticed with the editing; technically, humour is all about timing - which is something pretty every comedian in this world knows, regardless of style. So in film, comedy is not made with witty dialogue or funny faces, but with timing. And timing is mostly in editing. There were a few places I knew what joke you were going for, but I just felt the timing was not precise because the editing wasn't. Mostly you should be more couragous to cut quicker, as most of the cuts had "fat" in them as in, too many frames left. And I'm talking about frames. 3 frames here, 2 frames there, 4 frames there. Especially with comedy, that sort of precision is vital.

The effects were my favorite part I think. Especially the real life ones. The seemed to be on the highest level (the arm rip off shot looked very cool!). The compositing and particle effects worked pretty well too, even though it was obvious they were effects. But it didn't matter that much. Good job on the effects side.


I've written a lot now and I apologize for the rather deadpan review, but I try to be as honest and direct as possible. And this film left me with a rather mixed impression. Because it was a comedy, obviously some things were "supposed to look bad" - but honestly, this "supposed to look bad" thing always leaves a odd aftertaste, because I don't think anything should supposedly look bad.
And the problem with that is the following: For people the comedy works, they won't bother at all, in fact, they'll even like it. But if the comedy fails, everything looks different and when you can't laugh about something, all that lasts is technical holes that become obvious. And that is a shame.
Because I seriously think you can do better filmmaking wise if you want to and if you concentrate enough on it. Because when I look at the film I get the impression everything is there - the feel for storytelling, the feel for visuals, the feel for sound, the feel for direction... But yet it all doesn't go near to where that impression suggests it could because of the easier sillyness. (I almost get the impression you do that because you fear you might fail doing something serious, correct me if I'm wrong)

I hope you can take the comment as what it's worth and I wish you all the best luck on your future projects and I hope that one day you'll focus on the technical aspects more, maybe even try to do something more serious, because my inner feeling tells me you'd be good at it. wink
Posted: Tue, 14th Nov 2006, 1:00am

Post 29 of 41

Waser

Force: 4731 | Joined: 7th Sep 2003 | Posts: 3111

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 2 Pro User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

SuperUser

Rating: +1

Holy cow batman! Thanks for the long ass review Sollthar, and here I offer my long ass response:

Sollthar wrote:


And unfortunately, our humour styles don't match at all then. So all in all, I didn't find it funny.
Heh, I completley agree that if your sense of humor doesn't agree with the film, Zombie Force would be a hard pill to swallow.

Sollthar wrote:


The editing appeared rough, also supported by the sound issue I've already adressed. When I can hear a cut, it sounds too hard. There were also some continuity problems if you look at people's movements or sometimes even lines.
This was something that I noticed a ton in post production, and I hate myself for not being more careful about it while filming, and this is something that I will look for now more than ever.

Sollthar wrote:


I actually thought it was the best part of the whole film
Still, this is one of the biggest suprises so far for me. I think the first scene is so slow, and such a different feel for the film, and doesn't represent at all what the viewer is getting themselves into. Even though that was sort of supposed to be an overall joke.

Sollthar wrote:


Mostly you should be more couragous to cut quicker, as most of the cuts had "fat" in them as in, too many frames left. And I'm talking about frames. 3 frames here, 2 frames there, 4 frames there. Especially with comedy, that sort of precision is vital.
This is another thing I will agree on with you. When I was editing this film with Chase Ames, I felt like there may have been a couple times where we cut the shot at the exact moment someone got into character instead of waiting for the right moment.

Sollthar wrote:


The effects were my favorite part I think. Especially the real life ones. The seemed to be on the highest level (the arm rip off shot looked very cool!). The compositing and particle effects worked pretty well too, even though it was obvious they were effects. But it didn't matter that much. Good job on the effects side.
This more than anything warms my heart, because effects (at least computer generated ones) are my biggest pitfall, but with Zombie Force I was finally given the stage I needed to try some more practical stuff. I'm a huge fan of zombie pull-a-parts, so that's what we were sort of aiming for. I think the arm rip off scene is the one I am most proud of.

Sollthar wrote:


I've written a lot now and I apologize for the rather deadpan review, but I try to be as honest and direct as possible.
I wouldn't have it any other way, old friend. Seeing as how you are the go-to guy when it comes to some of the more ambitious sides of filmmaking, I'll respect your opinion no matter what it is. Except I think Cabin Fever rocks.

Sollthar wrote:


(I almost get the impression you do that because you fear you might fail doing something serious, correct me if I'm wrong)
I have to admit this is somewhat true. My most serious movie I've released on fxhome (Sortie) got pretty mixed reviews, but more so the fan base I have here in Salt Lake (as little as it is) told me that this was easily their least favorite movie, and that I should stick to comedy. However, this isn't something I plan to do really. There's no way I could make a career out of making Zombie Force type comedies (even though this is something I plan to revisit sometime in the future). My first feature length (which I plan to shoot in 2-4 years) will probably be much more to your liking. Without giving too much away, I'll just tell you that the comedy relies on dialogue, and it really isn't "silly" in the way you describe Zombie Force to be.

Sollthar wrote:


I hope you can take the comment as what it's worth and I wish you all the best luck on your future projects and I hope that one day you'll focus on the technical aspects more, maybe even try to do something more serious, because my inner feeling tells me you'd be good at it. wink
I really appreciate you taking the time to write your review, especially when you had such mixed feelings about it as a whole. And you'd better wish me the best of luck, because I'm probably going to be knocking on your door for advice for the next few years when I begin to get ready to move onto feature length. As for the serious film.....just keep your eyes open in 3-5 years.
Posted: Tue, 14th Nov 2006, 1:24am

Post 30 of 41

Sollthar

Force: 13360 | Joined: 30th Oct 2001 | Posts: 6094

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 2 Pro User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User MacOS User

SuperUser

Great you can use some of the things I've written. I do hold you in high regard, not only as a person, but also as a filmmaker. Which is why I might have been a bit more nitpicking because, as I said, I feel there's more there. smile

Still, this is one of the biggest suprises so far for me.
I seem to recall I'm not the only one who really liked that scene. Maybe because it's not yet going into "completely absurd" territory. I know that's why I liked it and actually found it funniest.

I think the arm rip off scene is the one I am most proud of.
With good reason. wink

Except I think Cabin Fever rocks.
And I still love you. biggrin

As for the serious film.....just keep your eyes open in 3-5 years.
I definately will and I'm looking forward to it! biggrin


And I wouldn't stop making comedies in any case, because you do have a great humour and a good sense for timing. I have no doubt, once the technical side improves, so will the comedy of the films be able to reach a wider type of audience.
Posted: Tue, 14th Nov 2006, 2:33pm

Post 31 of 41

Klut

Force: 2120 | Joined: 16th Apr 2004 | Posts: 1585

VisionLab User FXpreset Maker Windows User MacOS User FXhome Movie Maker

Gold Member

I'll skip writing a review, and just write something short and simple.

Brilliant.

5/5.
Posted: Tue, 14th Nov 2006, 8:11pm

Post 32 of 41

SurfBoy

Force: 30 | Joined: 14th Jul 2005 | Posts: 25

Member

KLUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Seeing you alive brings warm feelings to my heart. Very warm . . .
Posted: Tue, 14th Nov 2006, 10:07pm

Post 33 of 41

Klut

Force: 2120 | Joined: 16th Apr 2004 | Posts: 1585

VisionLab User FXpreset Maker Windows User MacOS User FXhome Movie Maker

Gold Member

I've been dead?
Posted: Tue, 14th Nov 2006, 10:48pm

Post 34 of 41

jmax

Force: 260 | Joined: 17th May 2006 | Posts: 671

MacOS User

Member

Very warm?
Posted: Tue, 14th Nov 2006, 11:53pm

Post 35 of 41

SurfBoy

Force: 30 | Joined: 14th Jul 2005 | Posts: 25

Member

VERY WARM
Posted: Thu, 16th Nov 2006, 3:54am

Post 36 of 41

Frozenpede

Force: 630 | Joined: 28th Jan 2004 | Posts: 1113

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User

Gold Member

The lack of Lenny took a bit of getting over (I spotted him in a zombie seen but that was it) you need to make an entire movie just for Lenny. You can call it "Lenny"
Posted: Fri, 17th Nov 2006, 4:32am

Post 37 of 41

A Pickle

Force: 1235 | Joined: 7th Sep 2004 | Posts: 1280

EffectsLab Lite User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Okay, the tax form discussion scene is pretty much the best comical scene that has ever been done in a movie. Props. Extreme props for that. XProps.

...XProps™.

A few things, though. I think the nuclear waste should've been a mix of water and car coolant, as that mixture gives a very convincing "Generic Nuclear Waste" glowy-green look.

Mostly what I liked about this was it's non-reliance on visual effects, rather depending on clever camera angles and well placed objects. The zombie incapable of extricating himself from the ground, which was (I assume) simply sod with a person under it.

Anyways. Make more movies for the FXhome cinema, seriously. Believe it or not, you're movies are kind of inspiration for my friends and I, who are more often than not either too drunk/lazy to get up and do some fricken' filming.

...

...and one more time, for good measure: XProps™.

Man I'm clever.
Posted: Wed, 13th Dec 2006, 9:56am

Post 38 of 41

Arktic

Force: 9977 | Joined: 10th Nov 2003 | Posts: 2785

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 2 Pro User FXhome Movie Maker FXpreset Maker Windows User MacOS User

SuperUser

You know what Waser?

I watched this AGES ago and I haven't even written a review yet.

Well, this isn't so much an in depth review, as I think Sollthar covered that, but let me just tell you I enjoyed the whole thing, and it certainly is a huge acchievement to make feature length film that actually kept my interest.

I'd also like to point out that I ushered in the start of my 21st birthday watching Thomas Petersen dressed in a hat and a moustache prancing about with Jer Chin dressed as the snowman - and I can't imagine a better birthday present.

Thanks.
Posted: Wed, 13th Dec 2006, 4:26pm

Post 39 of 41

Waser

Force: 4731 | Joined: 7th Sep 2003 | Posts: 3111

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 2 Pro User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

SuperUser

My work here is done.

Waser claps his hands and disapears as he walks away
Posted: Sat, 16th Dec 2006, 6:39am

Post 40 of 41

SurfBoy

Force: 30 | Joined: 14th Jul 2005 | Posts: 25

Member

Waser wrote:

My work here is done.

Waser claps his hands and disapears as he walks away
Thats exactly what Tyres says at the end of the Clubbing episode of Spaced!
Posted: Sat, 16th Dec 2006, 2:34pm

Post 41 of 41

Waser

Force: 4731 | Joined: 7th Sep 2003 | Posts: 3111

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 2 Pro User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

SuperUser

I didn't realize that. My work really must be done then.