You are viewing an archive of the old fxhome.com forums. The community has since moved to hitfilm.com.

The Halo movie?

IS the Halo movie on hold?

yes28%[ 11 ]
no5%[ 2 ]
their going to be a Halo movie!8%[ 3 ]
who cares59%[ 23 ]

Total Votes : 39

Posted: Fri, 26th Jan 2007, 2:02pm

Post 1 of 70

Orin Warren

Force: 658 | Joined: 2nd Oct 2006 | Posts: 461

Windows User

Member

I'm just wondering if anybody heard anything new on the Halo movie? Someone told me it was being put on hold? is this true? I hope not because I really like to see the movie and I think it should be coming out in 2008. But if anyone have any info please feel free to say any thing?
P.S. I cheack IMDB and it didn't help me much.
Posted: Fri, 26th Jan 2007, 2:06pm

Post 2 of 70

Simon K Jones

Force: 27955 | Joined: 1st Jan 2002 | Posts: 11683

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 5 Pro User MuzzlePlug User PowerPlug User PhotoKey 3 Plug-in User FXhome Movie Maker FXpreset Maker Windows User

FXhome Team Member

Last I heard, none of the studios were interested and financial backing couldn't be secured, so Microsoft and Wingnut are no longer actively pursuing the project.

More info:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/30560
Posted: Fri, 26th Jan 2007, 2:35pm

Post 3 of 70

Orin Warren

Force: 658 | Joined: 2nd Oct 2006 | Posts: 461

Windows User

Member

but I thought Universal was backing the movie?

edited:Just read your link! is Fox and Universal stupied!!!!!
Posted: Fri, 26th Jan 2007, 3:56pm

Post 4 of 70

Sollthar

Force: 13360 | Joined: 30th Oct 2001 | Posts: 6094

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 2 Pro User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User MacOS User

SuperUser

Rating: +1

Not sure a mediocre game like Halo would make for a good movie anyways.

So I choose "who cares"...
Posted: Fri, 26th Jan 2007, 3:56pm

Post 5 of 70

NickD

Force: 2163 | Joined: 10th Sep 2003 | Posts: 1224

EffectsLab Lite User FXpreset Maker Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

I agree with Sollthar.
Posted: Fri, 26th Jan 2007, 4:17pm

Post 6 of 70

Simon K Jones

Force: 27955 | Joined: 1st Jan 2002 | Posts: 11683

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 5 Pro User MuzzlePlug User PowerPlug User PhotoKey 3 Plug-in User FXhome Movie Maker FXpreset Maker Windows User

FXhome Team Member

I also agree with Sollthar. While Halo has more potential than, say, Mortal Kombat, it's still quite a limp franchise from what I've seen of the game, particularly with regard to the rather vacant (both in terms of personality and art direction) character of Master Chief.
Posted: Fri, 26th Jan 2007, 5:18pm

Post 7 of 70

JohnCarter

Force: 3295 | Joined: 11th Mar 2003 | Posts: 1078

VisionLab User Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

Orin Warren wrote:

Just read your link! is Fox and Universal stupied!!!!!
It was just a business decision.

When I heard the demanded budget, Microsoft ridiculous upfront and backend requests, Peter Jackson ridiculous salary demands for merely lending his name as producer and the fact that they tacked an almost $200,000,000 dollars movie to an unproven first time feature film director who only had shot 3 commercials before... I don't think they are that stupid. They would have shelled out ALL the cash and not made a penny...

Studios are businesses. They need to make money to survive.
Posted: Fri, 26th Jan 2007, 6:02pm

Post 8 of 70

Orin Warren

Force: 658 | Joined: 2nd Oct 2006 | Posts: 461

Windows User

Member

knowing how much they want, I agree with John carter. I wouldn't pay that much money for that movie, it may be good or it may be bad. So I wouldn't taken the chance just in case it bombed!
Posted: Fri, 26th Jan 2007, 6:51pm

Post 9 of 70

Kovacs

Force: 50 | Joined: 5th Dec 2006 | Posts: 80

Windows User

Member

I dunno... while a agree there are better game franchises to make movies out of I really liked Neill Blomkamp's short films Tetra Vaal and Alive In Joburg and would have loved to see what the guy could do with a real budget and feature-length running time.
Posted: Fri, 26th Jan 2007, 9:52pm

Post 10 of 70

Fill

Force: 1257 | Joined: 1st Jul 2005 | Posts: 1652

CompositeLab Lite User EffectsLab Lite User Windows User

Gold Member

I liked.. liked Halo. It was fun when it first came out but now to me it's just old. Gears of War is more tactical. I would rather duck and shoot than run in a room and go Rambo. I'll admit that I'm not very excited for Halo 3. I might like it if I play it but right now I'm pretty Halo-ed out.
Posted: Sat, 27th Jan 2007, 6:34am

Post 11 of 70

RigomrtsFX

Force: 1516 | Joined: 14th Apr 2006 | Posts: 267

VisionLab User

Gold Member

it has been on hold for some time
the one movie there banking on is ghost rider a 1975 comic book
whats funny is that hollwood is digging up just about any good comic book that they can make into a movie the next one is the werewolf by night and then afte that is the tomb of dracula all comic book take offs from comic books
and did you know that blade is really from the tomb of dracula
theres where he come from he was only in a few of the tombs he was all ways hunting drac.......

and just like the mk 3 the movie is being filmed right now
there banking on that one too
well we never know about comic books
there is talks about fantasic 4 part 2 and all so the hulk
and dawn of the dead 2
Posted: Sat, 27th Jan 2007, 6:47am

Post 12 of 70

King of Blades

Force: 1700 | Joined: 29th May 2006 | Posts: 794

EffectsLab Pro User Windows User

Gold Member

What would really make a good feature film based on a game would be the Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time trilogy.

It has a very linear gameplay, and would actually have more to the storyline than just a "supersoldier" killing a bunch of guys.... just 'cause.

Thus, I chose "who cares".
Posted: Sat, 27th Jan 2007, 7:26am

Post 13 of 70

MC Turtl3n3ck

Force: 218 | Joined: 5th Jun 2006 | Posts: 111

Windows User

Member

Rating: +3/-16

Sollthar wrote:

Not sure a mediocre game like Halo would make for a good movie anyways.

So I choose "who cares"...

Tarn wrote:

I also agree with Sollthar. While Halo has more potential than, say, Mortal Kombat, it's still quite a limp franchise from what I've seen of the game, particularly with regard to the rather vacant (both in terms of personality and art direction) character of Master Chief.
Wow, you're right, the Halo franchise is just medicore... Halo 2 was only the most popular XBOX Live game on the market for 2 years straight (beat out by Gears of War), and the two weeks before the release of Halo 2, only 1.5 million pre-orders had been purchased. And also, the game only sold "2.4 million copies during its first 24 hours on store shelves, thus out-grossing the film Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest as highest grossing release in entertainment history."

Wow, yeah, mediocre is one word for it... obviously, you don't have the darndest clue about what you're talking about.

The Halo franchise is absolutely the most dominant franchise in video gaming history, and any idiot that says its mediocre deserves to be shot. Wikipedia "Halo" if you don't believe me.

Microsoft's XBOX platforms were kept alive due to the release of Halo, I know numerous people (including myself) who purchased an XBOX just for Halo 1 or 2. Playstation would have killed the XBOX and dug the grave if XBOX didn't have Halo (just like GTA used to keep Playstation platforms alive, before it was released for all platforms).

So Sollthar an Tarn, how about we just wait until the release of Halo 3 and the incredible hype that goes with it, so that you can eat your own words about this "mediocre" franchise.

Obviously, you both are toal n00bs at video games and don't enjoy Halo because of two things:

A) You have never played it

or

B) You suck at it, and gave up during gameplay after getting pwned by family/friends/loved ones.

Please do some research before you speak your trivial minds.

Always with love,

MCTurtl3n3ck

p.s. Hey mods, please don't erase my comment because I bring up a valid argument, I mean, I know your against freedom of speech and all, but these Halo-Hating n00bs had it coming...
Posted: Sat, 27th Jan 2007, 7:59am

Post 14 of 70

King of Blades

Force: 1700 | Joined: 29th May 2006 | Posts: 794

EffectsLab Pro User Windows User

Gold Member

I have played Halo for myself... *chuckle* Perhaps for about 5 minutes, and that's all I needed; it sucked.

That game has consumed over half of my school... well, perhaps all of the nerdy kids.... every now and then some kid will ask me "Do you play Halo?"

It drives me crazy... seriously, it does.

But I believe when Sollthar said 'mediocre', he probably meant that Halo is an overdone video game that is overplayed, and is pretty much just full of shooting everywhere, hoping that you hit something in the process...

So would that make a very good movie? No, I wouldn't think so.

Tarn... well, not much of an explanation I can give for him...

But MC, I'm not about to flame your comment (amazingly) because I DO realize that your statement, as stated at the bottom of your post, is a valid argument.
Posted: Sat, 27th Jan 2007, 8:27am

Post 15 of 70

alpha54

Force: 830 | Joined: 26th Jan 2006 | Posts: 323

CompositeLab Pro User EffectsLab Pro User Windows User

Gold Member

I enjoyed playing Halo - it wasn't anywhere near as amazing as most of my XBOX-owning friends constantly claimed, but it was still fairly enjoyable shooter.

So, what's the game's premise? Oh yeah, you're this guy in a metal suit, there's about 10 different types of enemies, and you kill them all. Now whether you liked the game or not, it seems pretty clear to me that the concept would make for one crappy-as-hell movie! wink

Shooting digital enemies for two hours with some mates may be fun, but watching that for two hours? No way... smile
Posted: Sat, 27th Jan 2007, 9:54am

Post 16 of 70

Sollthar

Force: 13360 | Joined: 30th Oct 2001 | Posts: 6094

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 2 Pro User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User MacOS User

SuperUser

Rating: +5

lol MC Turtl3n3ck, I'd check my blood pressure from time to time. smile

I could explain the concept of different tastes to you now, or argue about the fact that only because a game is popular doesn't necessarily mean everyone has to agree it is a good game, or the fact that not everyone who has a different opinion then you automatically has no clue or deserves to be shot, or try to teach you to make a point without throwing aggressive and unnecessary insults around - but then again, we both know that would be a waste of time, don't we? smile


Oh, and do not worry. I won't delete your comment. In fact, I think it's pretty fun and I'm sure many Halo fans will be proud to have someone as socially and argumentatively skilled as you on their side. My trivial mind is still trying to comprehend. biggrin

Last edited Sat, 27th Jan 2007, 6:11pm; edited 1 times in total.

Posted: Sat, 27th Jan 2007, 10:26am

Post 17 of 70

Simon K Jones

Force: 27955 | Joined: 1st Jan 2002 | Posts: 11683

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 5 Pro User MuzzlePlug User PowerPlug User PhotoKey 3 Plug-in User FXhome Movie Maker FXpreset Maker Windows User

FXhome Team Member

Rating: +8

Sollthar's already covered most of this, but I'll just go over a few bits myself too...

MC Turtl3n3ck wrote:

The Halo franchise is absolutely the most dominant franchise in video gaming history, and any idiot that says its mediocre deserves to be shot. Wikipedia "Halo" if you don't believe me.
1. Wikipedia should never be used as the final word in an argument. Nothing there can really be considered factually accurate without extensive corroboration.

2. Sales and quality don't always go together. One of the top-selling games of 2006 was the Cars tie-in game. Nobody is going to claim that was a classic game - so why did it sell? Because it had a huge marketing budget behind it. Regardless of whether Halo is any good or not, it's always going to sell due to the marketing hype (note: this doesn't negate the possibility that a heavily marketed game might also be good; all I'm doing here is introducing you to one of the key concepts of capitalism).

3. Interesting how you say that anybody that disagrees with you should be shot. I'll go into that more in a moment...

Obviously, you both are toal n00bs at video games


Be wary of using the word 'obviously' during an argument. Invariably it will end up making you look like a wally.

Please do some research before you speak your trivial minds.
There's that "no other opinions except my own are valid" attitude again...

p.s. Hey mods, please don't erase my comment because I bring up a valid argument,
Please identify this 'valid argument', as I see none. Your post appears to be either flamebait, or the nonsensical and rude rantings of a drooling fanboy. You spend more time calling me and Sollthar idiots than making any decent points - other than "Halo sold loads", which everyone knows anyway.

I feel sorry for the Halo community, if you're the best ambassador they can muster. Hopefully some other Halo fans can put forward a more considered argument for the game/movie.

I mean, I know your against freedom of speech and all, but these Halo-Hating n00bs had it coming...
Now, this is the key point I'd like to focus on.

You talk about freedom of speech, yet would like to deny me and Sollthar our right to voice our opinions. Considering people have fought and died for their right to free speech, your abuse of the concept is frankly abhorrent and, I imagine, quite insulting to many people here who do take it seriously.

Your post wouldn't be deleted due to any free speech issue, at any rate. You're perfectly entitled to your opinion on Halo - as has been pointed out elsewhere, everyone is entitled to an opinion; however it should be noted that that doesn't automatically mean that all opinions hold equal worth.

No, the reason your post would be deleted would be due to its rude and insulting tone and its general lack of civility.

FXhome.com is known as a friendly place full of intelligent debate, even when touching upon highly sensitive topics such as politics and religion - and yet you blow up like this over a computer game topic.

As such, I will be leaving your post up as the perfect example to others of how not to post. You're a textbook example of exactly the kind of attitude we don't welcome at FXhome.com.

Unless you can learn how to debate intelligently and in a civilised manner, like everyone else on here manages (both young and old), I suggest you hold your foaming tongue in future.
Posted: Sat, 27th Jan 2007, 1:08pm

Post 18 of 70

Xcession

Force: 42802 | Joined: 21st Mar 2001 | Posts: 1964

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 3 Pro User Windows User

SuperUser

On the PC, certainly, Halo was possibly the most shallow, uninventive game I've ever completed. I played it to completion, just so i could argue from an infallible stand-point, when describing my hatred for the game in the most excruciating detail, to the halo fanboys.

Therefore from my experience of the franchise, however popular, I would sooner watch paint dry.
Posted: Sat, 27th Jan 2007, 6:08pm

Post 19 of 70

Waser

Force: 4731 | Joined: 7th Sep 2003 | Posts: 3111

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 2 Pro User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

SuperUser

I was going to come in and give my actual two cents on Halo and Halo 2, but seeing how crazy MC Turtl3n3ck is, I'll just say this:

Halo and Halo 2 are gay, and if you like them, you must be as well.
Posted: Sat, 27th Jan 2007, 6:18pm

Post 20 of 70

jmax

Force: 260 | Joined: 17th May 2006 | Posts: 671

MacOS User

Member

I always thought Master Chief's oufit was a little fruity...
Posted: Sat, 27th Jan 2007, 6:23pm

Post 21 of 70

JT9

Force: 852 | Joined: 11th May 2005 | Posts: 521

EffectsLab Lite User FXpreset Maker Windows User

Gold Member

MC Turtl3n3ck wrote:

Sollthar wrote:

Not sure a mediocre game like Halo would make for a good movie anyways.

So I choose "who cares"...

Tarn wrote:

I also agree with Sollthar. While Halo has more potential than, say, Mortal Kombat, it's still quite a limp franchise from what I've seen of the game, particularly with regard to the rather vacant (both in terms of personality and art direction) character of Master Chief.
I know your against freedom of speech and all, but these Halo-Hating n00bs had it coming...
Its freedom of speech to speak your mind and thats why most of said we don't like halo so you can just be ok with that.

Regards,
JT9
Posted: Sat, 27th Jan 2007, 6:34pm

Post 22 of 70

Hybrid-Halo

Force: 9315 | Joined: 7th Feb 2003 | Posts: 3367

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 3 Pro User MuzzlePlug User PowerPlug User FXpreset Maker Windows User MacOS User

SuperUser

Waser wrote:

I was going to come in and give my actual two cents on Halo and Halo 2, but seeing how crazy MC Turtl3n3ck is, I'll just say this:

Halo and Halo 2 are gay, and if you like them, you must be as well.
You forgot to mention Rascist. Only Rascists play Halo 2 online.

My opinion on the Halo franchise is similar to Xcessions. Halo is a good example of what's been done well for ages on the PC being brought to the console market (read : into mainstream) and receiving a lot of undeserved praise as a direct result of it. Whilst being fun in sections, Halo's horrific B-Movie of a storyline and 1990's use of cut scenes certainly don't earn it a place in my top 100 games of all time.

I guess to someone who didn't know of anything better it might be great.

I reckon the movie would be dire were it to directly involve the events covered in the games as they are simply not interesting. I've heard there are some books which are 'awful' though they atleast demonstrate that there is more to the Halo world. Perhaps there is room within that for an entertaining movie - I can't say.

-Hybrid.

Last edited Sat, 27th Jan 2007, 9:33pm; edited 1 times in total.

Posted: Sat, 27th Jan 2007, 9:16pm

Post 23 of 70

MC Turtl3n3ck

Force: 218 | Joined: 5th Jun 2006 | Posts: 111

Windows User

Member

Waser wrote:

Halo and Halo 2 are gay, and if you like them, you must be as well.
I respect that, you are entitled to your own opinion. If this was about WoW, I'd be saying the same thing as you.

Xcession wrote:

On the PC, certainly, Halo was possibly the most shallow, uninventive game I've ever completed.
I finished both the Halo 1 and 2 campaigns in less than half of a day of total playing time. I wasn't too fond of either of them, which is why I never argued that Halo was a dominant single-player game. I was arguing for Halo's multiplayer capabilities. Both of Halo's multiplayer options (Halo 2 of course on XBOX Live), have impressed me ever since Halo's official release date, and they stand 1st in my book, beating both Gears of War and Counter-Strike I.M.O. (even though both these games are incredible multi-player FPS's.)
If you really wanted to state your "opinion," a proper way would have been:

"Although sales for the Halo games have been absolutely nuts, Halo's gameplay is mediocre I.M.O." - this states that you don't like the game, but you are acknowledging the fact that the franchise isn't just "mediocre," because regardless of opinions (mine and yours), it is one of the best franchises to hit the video game market.

kingofbladeslv wrote:

I have played Halo for myself... *chuckle* Perhaps for about 5 minutes, and that's all I needed; it sucked.


First off, I have a ton of friends who don't enjoy Halo, but the number who do like it greatly outnumber them, but thats besides the point. I don't bash my friends opinions if they say they don't like the game, if its stupid, or if it boring, I could care less if they don't like it. However, if one of them were to say that Halo is not a successful franchise and just "mediocre," it would be incredibly easy to prove them wrong, not with my own opinions, but with pure facts.


kingofbladeslv wrote:

So would that make a very good movie? No, I wouldn't think so.


In all honesty, I would have too agree with you 110%. Notice how I never even brought the topic of the movie in my first post, mainly because I.M.O., a Halo movie would be unbearably awful and fail miserably, unless it somehow had incredible writers and an all-star cast (of which would be incredibly hard).

kingofbladeslv wrote:

But MC, I'm not about to flame your comment (amazingly) because I DO realize that your statement, as stated at the bottom of your post, is a valid argument.
Wow, when I read this, I almost died from shock. smile Thanks man.


Btw, that's freaking hilarious that I got 12 negative ratings for my last post, you guys crack me up smile
Posted: Sat, 27th Jan 2007, 9:35pm

Post 24 of 70

Hybrid-Halo

Force: 9315 | Joined: 7th Feb 2003 | Posts: 3367

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 3 Pro User MuzzlePlug User PowerPlug User FXpreset Maker Windows User MacOS User

SuperUser

MC Turtl3n3ck wrote:

In all honesty, I would have too agree with you 110%. Notice how I never even brought the topic of the movie in my first post, mainly because I.M.O., a Halo movie would be unbearably awful and fail miserably, unless it somehow had incredible writers and an all-star cast (of which would be incredibly hard).
It seems you were too busy vehemently defending the game to notice the topic of the thread then, on top of the points made against there being a Halo movie which you've just agreed with.

The negative ratings were simply because you jumped into a passive thread with an aggressive post which didn't even address the subject up for discussion leading the thread to go off topic.

Way to go.

-Hybrid.
Posted: Sat, 27th Jan 2007, 10:11pm

Post 25 of 70

Sollthar

Force: 13360 | Joined: 30th Oct 2001 | Posts: 6094

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 2 Pro User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User MacOS User

SuperUser

Rating: +1

Heh, interesting how you ignore both Tarns and my post. wink

For the fun of it - and for other readers of this topic, I shall have a little look at certain things.

"Although sales for the Halo games have been absolutely nuts, Halo's gameplay is mediocre I.M.O." - this states that you don't like the game, but you are acknowledging the fact that the franchise isn't just "mediocre," because regardless of opinions (mine and yours), it is one of the best franchises to hit the video game market.
That's a very interesting statement - because it contradicts itself.

The word "best" is a comparison of "good", which is an ethical / aesthetical term referring to a subjective view - commonly referred to as an "opinion".
To say "regardless of opinions, the game is the best franchise" is a classical paradoxon. Like "regardless of it's color, it's blue." or "I don't have an opinion, but my opinion is..."

Facts deal with numbers and objective values which themselves are either right or wrong. - the interpretation of those fact is again very subjective.

So stating "Halo is a top selling game" isn't an opinion, it's a fact either right or wrong. "Halo is a top selling franchise" and "the games/franchise has many fans" is the same.
"Halo/the franchise is GOOD / BAD / MEDIOCRE / THE BEST / THE WORST" are no facts, but viewpoints. Opinions, implied by the descriptive term "good" or use related words. (those sorts of words do have a name, unfortunately I'm not familiar with the english term)

If I add I.M.O. at the end or don't leave an explicit remark that my opinion is in fact my opinion doesn't really make any difference.
An IMO won't turn a fact into an opinion, nor make an opinion more or less of an opinion.

Let's have a look at what I said

Not sure a mediocre game like Halo would make for a good movie anyways.
Using an ethical / asthetical term like "mediocre" as a description of a game already states clearly I'm stating my opinion, not a fact.
Seeing my post does not specify what exact aspect of the game I am referring to (Graphics? Gameplay? Funfactor? Design? Story? Sales?) it leaves a lot open to interpretation. So for a serious argument, you'd first need to ask what I'm even referring to.

My post does not make any referrence to the games sales or neclects the fact it has a huge fanbase, made huge sales and is hugely popular with other people - fine by me. The only thing it makes clearly obvious, that I don't like the game much - reasons yet to be named.

However, if one of them were to say that Halo is not a successful franchise and just "mediocre," it would be incredibly easy to prove them wrong, not with my own opinions, but with pure facts
Neither Tarn nor myself stated the franchise wasn't successful anywhere in our posts.

As to rating the game mediocre (I was never referring to the franchise or it's financial impact), not sure how you could "prove" me wrong - as this is a matter of opinion. I base my opinion not on the games sales (because honestly, I don't care wheter something was commercially successful or not when I form my opinion. be it a game, a movie, or anything else) but on factors that aren't objectively or factually provable: How much enjoy playing it, how much I enjoy it's gamedesign, how much I like it's story. And in all those factors, Halo was a very mediocre - not bad, just not really remarkable - experience for me.

There's no "fact" that would make this opinion irrelevant or wrong. The FACT it saled loads isn't of interest to me for the game itself, the FACT other people like it is a good thing for the game, but again relatively irrelevant for my own opinion.

Btw, that's freaking hilarious that I got 12 negative ratings for my last post, you guys crack me up
It's because lots of people seem to disagree with your tone, even though they might agree with parts of what you say. Personally, I don't see what you gain from all the namecalling other then quite obviously make your opinion entirely irrelevant to a lot of readers who even go through the trouble of publically rating you down for it.

I can't see where this is hilarious either, but then again, I don't really have to. Obviously you enjoy the role you've taken on, so I won't try to lecture you on certain ideas of social behavior - I'm sure you know them just actively chose not to follow them on these boards for whatever reason.

Last edited Sun, 28th Jan 2007, 12:28am; edited 1 times in total.

Posted: Sat, 27th Jan 2007, 11:12pm

Post 26 of 70

Xcession

Force: 42802 | Joined: 21st Mar 2001 | Posts: 1964

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 3 Pro User Windows User

SuperUser

Sollthar i think you're missing the point...

Btw, that's freaking hilarious that I got 12 negative ratings for my last post, you guys crack me up
That statement sums up the entire thing. Its classic "Teenager arguing on the internet".

Its the tried-and-tested "I predict that you guys are going to try and belittle me, so i'm going to beat you to it, by implying a condescending, bemuzed, detachment from your behaviour" gambit. A classic, certainly, but alas a transparent one.

It ranks a close second to "I know i'm being petty and deeply childish, so just to piss you off i'm going be the first to tell you to 'grow up'". Which is my personal favorite.

Its usually deployed along-side "i'm going to deliberately write articulate points to 'prove' i'm not a retard" and the golden oldie "Check it out, I even agree with you!", used to confuse the (underestimated) prey into thinking they judged you wrong.

MC Turtleneck: Congratulations on making the top 10 most unpopular people on this website . You are not welcome here. Leave.


wparwpatpuoaicpihopbftrtareltcfwommw

Last edited Sat, 27th Jan 2007, 11:33pm; edited 1 times in total.

Posted: Sat, 27th Jan 2007, 11:31pm

Post 27 of 70

sfbmovieco

Force: 2354 | Joined: 19th Mar 2002 | Posts: 1552

VideoWrap User PhotoKey 2 User Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

MC Turtleneck, I don't care what you said about Halo but you made a passing joke about those who play WoW. You will die now.

...


Just kidding, I'll just arcane missle you until you scurry away in fear.
Posted: Sat, 27th Jan 2007, 11:43pm

Post 28 of 70

Waser

Force: 4731 | Joined: 7th Sep 2003 | Posts: 3111

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 2 Pro User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

SuperUser

Xcession wrote:



MC Turtleneck: Congratulations on making the top 10 most unpopular people on this website . You are not welcome here. Leave.
callum slade is 11! Soooo close!
Posted: Sat, 27th Jan 2007, 11:46pm

Post 29 of 70

Sollthar

Force: 13360 | Joined: 30th Oct 2001 | Posts: 6094

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 2 Pro User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User MacOS User

SuperUser

Sollthar i think you're missing the point...
Oh, I'm well assuming Turtle is very much aware of what he's doing and clever enough to realise why his behaviour gets the response it has get. I also know those little tricks in the book. smile

I do also assume he's actually aiming for that kind of response and actively trying to provoke it for whatever reason - be it simple boredom, a difficult childhood, a social background in which aggressive behaviour is normal, for his own entertainment value, to make a point about society or whatever else.

Though in the end, this is a public board within a community and therefore there are many "silent readers". This, and only this, is the reason Tarn and myself even bother to reply.

We could also simply have MC Turtlenecks posts deleted in the future and a majority of the community would probably agree with the decision. However, for once, that's a lot of work and frankly, he's not worth the time that needs. Secondly, he might make it personal, log on with different usernames, flood, spam or do other nasty things which again means: more work. And thirdly, trying to "hide" something isn't fxhomes style and there can't be any lesson taken of it from all the passive readers.

Replying to him calmly and with sense, even though it might appear being a waste of time, on the other hand, seems to be the better choice. As shown by the post ratings, the fxhome community is mature and stands above the level of forums where everyone posts in the manner our Turtle has and where random namecalling occurs in a regular basis - we all have seen it, we all don't want it here.
And as Tarn has mentioned, a post like his can stand and serve as an example of exactly what we don't want in this community and again - what many users seem to support judging by the post ratings. So it does even have a positive effect, as it is a good reminder every now and then.

Wheter MC Turtleneck himself realizes that or not, is of a very secondary importance.

MC Turtleneck: Leave this community and don't come back. You are not welcome.
I'd disagree. What isn't welcome and will never be is the attitude. He's welcome to stay and once he's over his "teenager arguing on the internet" phase, maybe he will even become a valuable part of this community. You never know.

Some kids just go through that phase where being unpopular is their actual goal. Personally, he doesn't really even bother me. That would be giving him too much credit. I find it merely fascinating.
Posted: Sat, 27th Jan 2007, 11:52pm

Post 30 of 70

NickD

Force: 2163 | Joined: 10th Sep 2003 | Posts: 1224

EffectsLab Lite User FXpreset Maker Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

Ah, sometimes you wonder why video games were even invented.

NickD

EDIT: Oh great here come the neg. ratings wink
Posted: Sun, 28th Jan 2007, 12:02am

Post 31 of 70

sfbmovieco

Force: 2354 | Joined: 19th Mar 2002 | Posts: 1552

VideoWrap User PhotoKey 2 User Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

Xcession wrote:



MC Turtleneck: Congratulations on making the top 10 most unpopular people on this website . You are not welcome here. Leave.


Xcession, Simon Cowell is really stepping it up this season on Idol and I applaude you for keeping up. Brilliant.
Posted: Sun, 28th Jan 2007, 12:03am

Post 32 of 70

NickD

Force: 2163 | Joined: 10th Sep 2003 | Posts: 1224

EffectsLab Lite User FXpreset Maker Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

Maybe he's related to Simon . . .






























No, that would be too creepy biggrin

NickD
Posted: Sun, 28th Jan 2007, 12:38am

Post 33 of 70

Klut

Force: 2120 | Joined: 16th Apr 2004 | Posts: 1585

VisionLab User FXpreset Maker Windows User MacOS User FXhome Movie Maker

Gold Member

If I could just comment the "it's the best sold game ever" thingy:

Many female singers get's their albums sold cause they are half-nude and sexy on the CD-cover, but their music suck.

It's the same with Halo.

Waser wrote:

Halo and Halo 2 are gay, and if you like them, you must be as well.
... Yeah
Posted: Sun, 28th Jan 2007, 1:57am

Post 34 of 70

ssj john

Force: 563 | Joined: 4th Nov 2003 | Posts: 795

Windows User MacOS User

Member

Well i like halo and halo 2. They are fun games! I think that nobody here would have a problem with that. I wouldn't mind seeing a movie made from it. I dont care enough to start a petition agianst making it.

Now as for Halo being a mediocre game, I think this is false in any meaning of mediocre you choose to use. Halo is liked by alot of people. Whether you choose to accept that or not it's true. If you don't have fun playing halo, well there are millions of other people who do. I realize that, that statement was opinion. And in my opinion MC overeacted a little bit.....ok alot.

Now why I think that for the most part halo is a great game. (not just sold only because its halo.) Well alot of you made good points. Halo wasn't anything innovative or new. They simply brought what was happening on the PC to the console. But that right there my friends is why halo was such a successful game. Because now normal average jocks, punks, and anyother stereotypical person could pretty easily hook there xbox up to other's and have huge multiplayer games. Now you didn't just have little nerds that tinkered with there computers and had the latest videos cards and software installed in there computers. I mean in junior high, almost everyperson on the basket ball team played halo. Try to find a whole basketball team that plays quake or unreal tournament, or even half life on the weekends. For those pc gamer that are constantly upgrading halo would be a pretty boring game. Why? because everything has been done before.

And for whoever said halo had no story, well if you've only played the game I can see where you get that impression. There's a reason for that, they purposely made the game surround the MC and only the MC because of the books. THey didn't want the books conflicting with the games. Like slipspace. slipspace? whats that? Well the game never explains it. But in the books slipspace is a big part of the story. THe books are about a squadron of Spartans that DO have personalities that are struggling to save humanity from the covenant. The halo's aren't what plays the huge part of halo's storyline it's the people who built them and what there intent was that the story is really about. There is as much story to halo as any other major franchise, like LOTR or starwars.
Posted: Sun, 28th Jan 2007, 11:20am

Post 35 of 70

Xcession

Force: 42802 | Joined: 21st Mar 2001 | Posts: 1964

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 3 Pro User Windows User

SuperUser

Ssj John has made a good point.

Halo was nothing new, or innovative. What has made it what it is today, is its impact on the public. It finally did "FPS on a console" well. More importantly however, it was the flagship game for the Xbox, which itself is a truely great line of consoles. Halo has done far more for console gaming in general, than most other games ever.

That, however, is where the importance of Halo stops...

The Movie won't be based on the community, it won't be based on the sales of the Xbox or the sales of the game. However I'll admit I hadn't factored in the books. I have no knowledge of the books, but if Halo The Game was the very best sub-plot they could scrape from the books (whatever excuses are made), it doesn't require a genius to conclude that neither the game NOR the books, are going to provide sufficient content for a movie of any artistic merit.

Comparisons with Lotr or Star Wars are moot. Lotr is one of the most jaw-dropping and well-written pieces of fantasy literature in existence. The original Star Wars (before any novels existed) was one of the most rich environments ever portreyed on screen. Its just chalk and cheese
Posted: Sun, 28th Jan 2007, 11:29am

Post 36 of 70

Sollthar

Force: 13360 | Joined: 30th Oct 2001 | Posts: 6094

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 2 Pro User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User MacOS User

SuperUser

SSJ John wrote:

Now as for Halo being a mediocre game, I think this is false in any meaning of mediocre you choose to use. Halo is liked by alot of people. Whether you choose to accept that or not it's true. If you don't have fun playing halo, well there are millions of other people who do. I realize that, that statement was opinion.
If you realize that statement was an opinion - my personal viewpoint, how can it be false?

I played Halo 1 on the PC. It's graphics seemed average at best to me, gameplaywise I've enjoyed other games a lot more and the story didn't manage to draw me in. Since no factor of the game managed to impress me or leave any other impact then being average - summing my opinion of the game as "mediocre" seems quite a logic conclusion.

I do - as I've stated before many times - accept the fact that there are many many many people out there who have an other opinion on the game. However I still fail to realize why this is of any importance in regard to my own opinion or why disagreeing with these people would make my viewpoint - that the game was mediocre - false in any way.
Their opinion, that the game was great, isn't false either just because my experience was different. The keypoint here is the different experiences and tastes.

Maybe you can enlighten me?


On a sidenote, I didn't even know there were books. Nor have a followed the sequel Halo 2 or anything else that has happened on the Halo front. The only thing about Halo I have and base my opinion on is the experience of playing Halo 1 on the PC a few years ago.
Posted: Sun, 28th Jan 2007, 2:41pm

Post 37 of 70

alpha54

Force: 830 | Joined: 26th Jan 2006 | Posts: 323

CompositeLab Pro User EffectsLab Pro User Windows User

Gold Member

Personally, I find it hard to really judge Halo as a game. The game play is nothing new, the story is non-existent and the graphics are approaching mediocrity in comparison to some current-gen games. Nevertheless, I'd be lying if I said Halo Co-op with friends wasn't the most fun I had playing a game in ages, when it first came out... smile
Posted: Sun, 28th Jan 2007, 4:13pm

Post 38 of 70

Simon K Jones

Force: 27955 | Joined: 1st Jan 2002 | Posts: 11683

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 5 Pro User MuzzlePlug User PowerPlug User PhotoKey 3 Plug-in User FXhome Movie Maker FXpreset Maker Windows User

FXhome Team Member

alpha54 wrote:

and the graphics are approaching mediocrity in comparison to some current-gen games.
While I'm not a Halo fan, I still feel the need to point out that that's a hardly fair comparison. Saying that a years-old game doesn't look as good as current-gen games is so obvious as to be redundant.

If you were to talk about the art design, then fair enough. But if the graphics of modern games weren't better, then something odd would be going on. It's fairer to compare Halo to other games that came out around the same time.

Nevertheless, I'd be lying if I said Halo Co-op with friends wasn't the most fun I had playing a game in ages, when it first came out... smile
Aaah, coop, how I love thee. You can take any game, whether it's mediocre or brilliant, add in a coop mode and it immediately becomes several magnitudes better.

Every game should have coop.
Posted: Sun, 28th Jan 2007, 4:55pm

Post 39 of 70

ben3308

Force: 5210 | Joined: 24th May 2004 | Posts: 6433

VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

I just want to jump in real quick and say that I think it's ridiculous to negative rate MC that much in his first post. I think it was obvious he was addressing the fact you guys called it a "dead franchise" (because franchising something would mean you're dealing in terms of money) and he went on to disprove it, with the best facts he could find, mind you. Few people on FXHome bring facts and statistics into their arguments, and if they do, they are hardly as thorough. Facts add validation to his argument, but I guess you couldn't see that.

As for the other abrasive stuff he said (which really is not that much): if you know he's going to be a 'fanboy' like that, then why add fuel to the fire by -1ing him? I mean, if you obviously know, if it is so apparent to you that he's as aggressive and disliked as you believe, then why in the world would you exacerbate the problem?

C'mon, guys! Teaming up against one guy who is, in your opinions, so [obviously] wrong to simply prove that you're right? Might not be what you intended, but that's what it looks like. And Xcession's comment about showing how many -1s he has was stupid. My bro and the new godfather are up there, and I know a bunch of people who have found both of them helpful.

All I'm saying is it was a petty argument, and once it was addressed once, I don't think all the other mods had to jump into the situation, Sollthar had it covered.


Nooooooooooow, as for my thoughts on a Halo movie: go for it. I've seen one user on here make quality Halo costumes that would look good in a movie, but sadly he didn't have the technical skills to boot. If you're dedicated enough and you simplify your plot and story so that it's not so effects/expenses-laden, then I think you could definitely pull the movie off.

My 2 cents, right there.
Posted: Sun, 28th Jan 2007, 5:02pm

Post 40 of 70

HandsomeScholars

Force: 208 | Joined: 18th Jun 2003 | Posts: 128

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User

Gold Member

What I don't get is why people liked Halo 2, that ruined it for me, I loved the first halo, it was just non stop shoot-em up fun, and the story wasn't half bad. But when Halo 2 came out they had to mess up all the fun stuff you had in the game, now you can blow up your vehicle... who wants that? So what if it was online, you could play the original halo on xbox connect for FREE. I still play the original from time to time with some buddies because its a great way to relax.

Im very skeptical of halo 3 though, considering how much they messed up halo 2 I don't think it will be a great improvement over 1, but I guess I'll download the demo when it shows up.

As far as a movie, they should just drop the whole idea, its not gonna go anywhere.

Also, im trying to figure out why people like playing Gears of War online so much, I mean dont get me wrong the gameplay is awesome the story mode is intense, but I watch my brother play it daily online and I've tried it a few times and I just cant get into it, a 3rd person shooter just doesn't work to well for multiplayer in my opinion. But campaign works for me cool
Posted: Sun, 28th Jan 2007, 5:22pm

Post 41 of 70

Sollthar

Force: 13360 | Joined: 30th Oct 2001 | Posts: 6094

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 2 Pro User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User MacOS User

SuperUser

ben3308 wrote:

I think it was obvious he was addressing the fact you guys called it a "dead franchise"
Care to point out where anyone called it a dead franchise? I said the game was mediocre and I wasn't sure if it would make for a good movie. Nothing more, nothing less.

ben3308 wrote:

Facts add validation to his argument, but I guess you couldn't see that.
It's not the "facts" he brought up that earned him all the -1's (though his only "fact" was that Halo sold loads, which has little to do with Tarns or my own low opinion of the game itself) it's the ATTITUDE in which he brought it.

ben3308 wrote:

As for the other abrasive stuff he said (which really is not that much)
No, he only called Tarn and myself "total noobs", our minds "trivial" and demanded that we are to be shot - for simply stating we don't like the game.

I'm aware you guys know each other and maybe, wherever you come from it's a common thing to add stuff like that in to make a point - who knows. Maybe he even thinks it's funny or cool.
In this forum, we're looking for discussing a civilized manner, which so far, MC Turtleneck has done quite the opposite. It's entirely possible to raise a valid and intelligent point without attacks or possible insults.

ben3308 wrote:

if you know he's going to be a 'fanboy' like that, then why add fuel to the fire by -1ing him? I mean, if you obviously know, if it is so apparent to you that he's as aggressive and disliked as you believe, then why in the world would you exacerbate the problem?
Read my reply to xcession as to why those -1's are fully justified and I'm happy to see they happened. Not because of a "Hah! Other people disagree with him so I must be right!" point of view, but simply because it shows that many people in this forum look at that post and realize it contains a lot of things that are simply uncalled for - and avise other readers to skip that post. That's what the rating system is for.

I see those ratings not as ridicolous, but as a pleasant sign that the community sees how unnecessary most of this post is. If you really read that and don't realize why the post has been downrated, I'd be worried.

ben3308 wrote:

Teaming up against one guy who is, in your opinions, so [obviously] wrong to simply prove that you're right? Might not be what you intended, but that's what it looks like.
Again, this is not about being right or wrong. He's right with every of those "facts" he stated, no one has ever disagreed with that.
It is only about the lack of social ability in bringing up his points - which both you, me and MC Turtleneck know wasn't the first time this happened. But it will be one of the last.

ben3308 wrote:

And Xcession's comment about showing how many -1s he has was stupid. My bro and the new godfather are up there, and I know a bunch of people who have found both of them helpful.
Having many -1's doesn't say "everyone hates you, no one likes you". You can behave like an asshole and still have some people who like you. That's entirely missing the point.

It means there are many people who obviously have a problem with the way you phrase your thoughts and posts, regardless of how many OTHER people might not have that problem.

So you can either react to that with "But other people like me, so DUH" or "Hah, you're so funny for not liking the way I behave you wimps" or "Eat it, I'll be a prick whenever I like" - which would be the socially slightly incable way of dealing with the matter.
The better way would be to analyze why so many people seem to have a problem and then try to change it.

So I disagree, Xcessions post wasn't stupid. It does show a problem. Now it's up to MC Turtleneck to chose how to deal with it...



I'd like to leave it at that now and carry on with the Halo Movie thread. smile
Posted: Sun, 28th Jan 2007, 6:47pm

Post 42 of 70

Multiwagon

Force: 1513 | Joined: 2nd Jul 2006 | Posts: 494

CompositeLab Pro User EffectsLab Pro User FXpreset Maker Windows User

Gold Member

OK. Were going to solve this. All of you come to my house and I will cook you dinner. Then you will be to engrossed with telling me how good my food is to argue. Sound good. smile
Posted: Sun, 28th Jan 2007, 9:21pm

Post 43 of 70

Atom

Force: 4300 | Joined: 9th May 2004 | Posts: 7014

EffectsLab Lite User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

http://fxhome.com/users/memberlist.php?&start=0&sortby=3&order=1

I'm number 3 on that list and think nothing of it but that there are a group of idiots who think it means something. If it means to "skip" said post, then I don't see how that goes in with being the most "unpopular on the website".
I like how some can use "gay" and "racist" is funny ways and not take any sh!t for it, and some can't. This is seriously a crooked situation.

I've stayed off for a while off and on because of stuff like this, but thought I'd throw myself into the convo.

Wow. Halo is gay, anyway, and so is this thread. Is there even a reason to the poll?
Posted: Sun, 28th Jan 2007, 10:30pm

Post 44 of 70

DigiSm89

Force: 815 | Joined: 2nd Jun 2002 | Posts: 1898

Windows User

Member

Atom wrote:

Wow. Halo is gay, anyway, and so is this thread. Is there even a reason to the poll?
Wow. Atom, if I recall, when you played Halo back when it first came out for PC, you DIDN'T think it was gay. In fact, you played the game joyfully and merrily with Pooky, Ben and Evman. Only now when there are better games (like Tarn said, it's only logical for there to be), you can look back and say that Halo sucked.

And besides, you role played as a commando and shot guns and rockets with Pooky.

Tell me THAT's not gay.

idea
Posted: Sun, 28th Jan 2007, 10:51pm

Post 45 of 70

Simon K Jones

Force: 27955 | Joined: 1st Jan 2002 | Posts: 11683

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 5 Pro User MuzzlePlug User PowerPlug User PhotoKey 3 Plug-in User FXhome Movie Maker FXpreset Maker Windows User

FXhome Team Member

Rating: +1

Let's try and keep the use of 'gay' as a derogative term to a minimum. It's not big and it's not clever.

atom wrote:

I'm number 3 on that list and think nothing of it
I agree that such things need to be kept in perspective, but if you think absolutely nothing of it then I'd be a bit surprised/perplexed.

but that there are a group of idiots who think it means something.
A group of idiots? There's some unpleasant and needless insulting going on here - where's it coming from? Insults are hardly the most convincing way of making a point.

If it means to "skip" said post, then I don't see how that goes in with being the most "unpopular on the website".
It doesn't. But it does mean that, out of all the posts on the website, a considerable number of people thought yours were worth skipping.

Now, you may 'think nothing' of such things, but personally I'd be a little concerned, for one of two possible reasons:

Either:

1. I'd be concerned about why people are wanting to skip my posts, and I'd want to analyse my own behaviour to see what it is that I'm doing that is causing people to do so. Simply saying "those people are bunch of idiots" is a cop-out. Some of it I'd reject and disagree with, some of it I'd take on board and consider that maybe there was a flaw in my approach.

or

2. If I didn't care about the community and ratings then I'd question why on earth I was wasting my time posting and attempting to be part of said community.

I like how some can use "gay" and "racist" is funny ways and not take any sh!t for it, and some can't. This is seriously a crooked situation.
I'd agree with you there, there is some bias going on that needs to be corrected (I include myself in that). However, the use of 'gay' and 'racist' in this topic was clearly intended to be humorous - whether you find it funny or not is another matter of course. Intent, however, is still a factor.

With regards to Turtle's comments towards myself, saying I was an idiot, a noob, that my mind was trivial and that I should be shot - there was no humour involved there (although I do recognise that 'should be shot' is an exaggeration and is not intended literally). It was simply insulting and aggressive behaviour.

Put in context, you can probably see why I objected more to Turtle's behaviour.

ben wrote:

I think it was obvious he was addressing the fact you guys called it a "dead franchise"
Wha? As sollthar asked, who said that? I'm pretty sure I didn't. In fact, I don't think anybody did. I'm well aware that Halo is a hugely successful franchise, and still is.

My point was simply that I don't like it, and I don't believe it would convert to a good movie. This, as has been pointed out repeatedly, is called 'an opinion'. It's a simple concept, and I'm not sure why it's causing so much difficulty for some people here.

and he went on to disprove it, with the best facts he could find, mind you.
Facts that had nothing to do with my or Sollthar's opinion of the game. No matter how many facts and statistics you throw at us, they have nothing to do with opinion.

One of Sollthar's favourite films is The Mummy. I think it's an appalling film, but I don't start insulting Sollthar because of that difference in opinion. Similarly, he doesn't start randomly throwing facts at me concerning how successful a film it was, as they would be irrelevant to my opinion.

Few people on FXHome bring facts and statistics into their arguments, and if they do, they are hardly as thorough.
Facts and statistics, as pointed out several times now, have very little to do with an opinion.

If we were debating whether Halo is a top-selling franchise or not, you'd have a point. But we weren't, so you don't.

Facts add validation to his argument, but I guess you couldn't see that.
I suggest you re-read the topic from the start. Your reading of it doesn't seem to tally with either my position or Turtle's position, so I'm a bit perplexed as to where you're coming from.

C'mon, guys! Teaming up against one guy who is, in your opinions, so [obviously] wrong to simply prove that you're right?
There's no teaming up here. We didn't tell mods (I presume you're talking about hybrid and xcession) to post, they did that off their own back. Just because they're mods doesn't mean they're not allowed to post their take on things.

But I digress...

While I've had many disagreements with you guys (atom & ben) in the past, I've always considered you to be eloquent and good at engaging in an intelligent debate, so I'm not sure why you've both leaped in at the deep end here and grabbed entirely the wrong end of the stick (to mix two metaphors) and resorted to thinly veiled (or not-so-veiled) insults.

There's several interesting debates that could be going on here, let's try and get some decorum back to the proceedings so we can have a good to-and-fro, without all this bizarre and brainless bickering.

Last edited Sun, 28th Jan 2007, 10:59pm; edited 5 times in total.

Posted: Sun, 28th Jan 2007, 10:52pm

Post 46 of 70

miker

Force: 386 | Joined: 30th Jul 2005 | Posts: 651

EffectsLab Lite User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Why doesn't Bill Gates just fund it? O-o
Posted: Sun, 28th Jan 2007, 11:17pm

Post 47 of 70

Sollthar

Force: 13360 | Joined: 30th Oct 2001 | Posts: 6094

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 2 Pro User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User MacOS User

SuperUser

Atom wrote:

I like how some can use "gay" and "racist" is funny ways and not take any sh!t for it, and some can't. This is seriously a crooked situation.
You're right on that, allthough that is a perfectly normal part of social interaction.

I can walk up to my best friend and call him an idiot and he'll look at me and laugh, probably wondering what he did - all in good spirit.
If I walk up to my lecturer during a lesson and call him idiot, he most likely wouldn't laugh and I'd be in trouble.

Same word, different situations, different social contexts = different reaction.

How something is perceived depends on a lot of complex factors.

If the exact same post, word by word, would have been written by Arktic for example (not that he would write something like that, he's just an example), I would not have taken offense and reacted entirely different. Because Arktic is my friend and I know him, hence I interprete a certain way/attitude/humour into his text and being a friend allows him the liberties to speak to me in that way and even call me a noob or an idiot.
Turtleneck on the other hand is not my friend. We have no history, I don't really know him, nor care about him, nor have any sort of affection for him. He's random forum user X to me. So therefore he can't take the liberties of talking to me like I'd be one of his other teen friends, because I'm not.

It's not the "words" that make the difference, it's the context of writer/reader and the context of the sitation that does.

But that there are a group of idiots who think it means something.
And there's the other group of idiots who chose to entirely ignore it.


Social abilities, like any other ability, is something that can be learned.
Posted: Mon, 29th Jan 2007, 1:19am

Post 48 of 70

Waser

Force: 4731 | Joined: 7th Sep 2003 | Posts: 3111

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 2 Pro User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

SuperUser

Sollthar wrote:


It's not the "words" that make the difference, it's the context of writer/reader and the context of the sitation that does.
This idea is one of about five or six that make up my core values.
Posted: Mon, 29th Jan 2007, 1:26am

Post 49 of 70

ssj john

Force: 563 | Joined: 4th Nov 2003 | Posts: 795

Windows User MacOS User

Member

Rating: +1

Sollthar wrote:

SSJ John wrote:

Now as for Halo being a mediocre game, I think this is false in any meaning of mediocre you choose to use. Halo is liked by alot of people. Whether you choose to accept that or not it's true. If you don't have fun playing halo, well there are millions of other people who do. I realize that, that statement was opinion.
If you realize that statement was an opinion - my personal viewpoint, how can it be false?

I played Halo 1 on the PC. It's graphics seemed average at best to me, gameplaywise I've enjoyed other games a lot more and the story didn't manage to draw me in. Since no factor of the game managed to impress me or leave any other impact then being average - summing my opinion of the game as "mediocre" seems quite a logic conclusion.

I do - as I've stated before many times - accept the fact that there are many many many people out there who have an other opinion on the game. However I still fail to realize why this is of any importance in regard to my own opinion or why disagreeing with these people would make my viewpoint - that the game was mediocre - false in any way.
Their opinion, that the game was great, isn't false either just because my experience was different. The keypoint here is the different experiences and tastes.

Maybe you can enlighten me?


On a sidenote, I didn't even know there were books. Nor have a followed the sequel Halo 2 or anything else that has happened on the Halo front. The only thing about Halo I have and base my opinion on is the experience of playing Halo 1 on the PC a few years ago.
Well that is a fair opinion, but only for halo on the PC. May I remind everyone that halo was not mean't to be a PC game. I was engineered for the console. If you don't like gaming on the console, thats fine...but than you have to take THAT into account when you are discussing halo on the XBOX and it being a mediocre game.

Anyways, the books I thought were really interesting. Maybe I overexagerated a little bit by saying they had as much story as LOTR. I was basing that on the movies not the books, which I have not personally read all the way through. But I do think that the halo books have just as much substance in terms of story as star wars. Halo the game is just one really really really cut down snippet of MC's whole life. THere is so much more to the halo universe than the Master Chief. Did you know there is a halo dictionary. Its a huge book that is not published to the public and it has the whole history of halo and the forerunners and the covenant. How many games have a resource like that?

In closing, I think that a movie based on the books for one would fit together better, because the books starts from when MC is young. And there are more characters that you grow emotionally attached to in the book. I'm not saying that a movie based on the books would be artistically record breaking. But it would be a decent entertaining movie to alot of people, including me.
--JOhn--

P.s. who wants to bet that soon there will be a new rule added to the forum, like no pc vs Mac debates except it will be, no should halo be a movie? debate. I swear we've had this debate like 3 times while i've been here. Everytime the response is the same.
Posted: Mon, 29th Jan 2007, 1:37am

Post 50 of 70

Multiwagon

Force: 1513 | Joined: 2nd Jul 2006 | Posts: 494

CompositeLab Pro User EffectsLab Pro User FXpreset Maker Windows User

Gold Member

ssj john I applaud you for skipping over the post without responding to it. +1. As for my opinion on the matter. I enjoyed the game when it came out and was drawn in the whole "Halo is the most amazing game ever" due to hearing it everywhere and having it practically shoved down my throat. Now, looking back on it, it isn't that good IN MY OPINION. There isn't enough of the story, in-game, to create a movie based on it, BUT, I BELIEVE there was enough left open-ended to make stuff up to fill in the gaps, HOWEVER, I DO NOT THINK, it should be made into a movie.


There is that good enough.




p.s. You can't tell someone to spend less time by their computer screen if you use leet speak.
Posted: Mon, 29th Jan 2007, 2:35am

Post 51 of 70

Gnome326

Force: 10 | Joined: 21st Mar 2005 | Posts: 436

Windows User

Member

Wow, you're right, the Halo franchise is just medicore... Halo 2 was only the most popular XBOX Live game on the market for 2 years straight (beat out by Gears of War), and the two weeks before the release of Halo 2, only 1.5 million pre-orders had been purchased. And also, the game only sold "2.4 million copies during its first 24 hours on store shelves, thus out-grossing the film Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest as highest grossing release in entertainment history."
Halo - $50+ per copy
Movie Ticket - 8 - 10.50 depending on whose purchasing the ticket.

With that in mind, 5 million people can go see Pirates on opening night and it won't even touch what 2 million copies of Halo would be. With that in mind, just because Halo is a very profitable video game doesn't neccessarily mean that its a very profitable movie. But I think it has the potential to be very profitable if they give it the right ammount of attention, the right crew, and the right marketing strategy.
Posted: Mon, 29th Jan 2007, 2:40am

Post 52 of 70

ssj john

Force: 563 | Joined: 4th Nov 2003 | Posts: 795

Windows User MacOS User

Member

Gnome326 wrote:

Wow, you're right, the Halo franchise is just medicore... Halo 2 was only the most popular XBOX Live game on the market for 2 years straight (beat out by Gears of War), and the two weeks before the release of Halo 2, only 1.5 million pre-orders had been purchased. And also, the game only sold "2.4 million copies during its first 24 hours on store shelves, thus out-grossing the film Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest as highest grossing release in entertainment history."
Halo - $50+ per copy
Movie Ticket - 8 - 10.50 depending on whose purchasing the ticket.

With that in mind, 5 million people can go see Pirates on opening night and it won't even touch what 2 million copies of Halo would be. With that in mind, just because Halo is a very profitable video game doesn't neccessarily mean that its a very profitable movie. But I think it has the potential to be very profitable if they give it the right ammount of attention, the right crew, and the right marketing strategy.
I think he was talking more in terms of Units sold vs tickets sold rather that $ vs $ cuz then yes obviously halo would have made more money. But it may have sold more copies than pirates sold tickets. Thats what I think he meant correct me if I'm wrong.
Posted: Mon, 29th Jan 2007, 2:54am

Post 53 of 70

Hybrid-Halo

Force: 9315 | Joined: 7th Feb 2003 | Posts: 3367

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 3 Pro User MuzzlePlug User PowerPlug User FXpreset Maker Windows User MacOS User

SuperUser

Just a sidenote : Gears of War is one of my all-time favourite games yet I'd never want to see an attempt at making a movie out of it. Very few games go to lengths to tell a story long enough to make a movie out of and even fewer of them do it well.

Which is fine, as games are largely about the gameplay. It's because of this that the transition from a computer game to a film is often so disastrous (Doom Movie anyone?). However - what really gets to me is when games with some great background stories (despite somewhat shallow ingame storylines) get overlooked and turned into basic action movies. Resident Evil and Silent Hill for example.

To my memory, the only good film based on a game is Final Fantasy : Advent Children. And I'm pretty sure I only have such high opinions on that because it riffed on my emotional attachment to Final Fantasy VII non-stop. smile

Could the Halo movie be a successful movie given a good team of writers and a creative director? quite possibly. Though the likelihood of this is not great and I'd rather not see any attempt made than witness another franchise cashed in on. I'm not a fan of the Halo series as I think I've made clear, though I appreciate it's value for bringing gaming into the mainstream just a little bit more.

Part of my disdain regarding game to movie adaptations is that I find them just very slightly condescending. As though Games are not being treated with the respect that they - as a relatively new form of media, deserve. I say this because with the exception of Silent Hill - very little artistic value from the origional games is being preserved in the movies which is very much what happened with Comic to Film adaptations for a long while. Then along came Sin City. If the Halo movie was to proove to be this kind of revelation, for games then I'd happily eat my words.

Also, at the end of the day I don't want to watch games, I want to play them. (This is something Konami are yet to work out. I'm looking at you Metal Gear Solid... wink)

-Hybrid.
Posted: Mon, 29th Jan 2007, 3:10am

Post 54 of 70

ben3308

Force: 5210 | Joined: 24th May 2004 | Posts: 6433

VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Tarn wrote:

While I've had many disagreements with you guys (atom & ben) in the past, I've always considered you to be eloquent and good at engaging in an intelligent debate, so I'm not sure why you've both leaped in at the deep end here and grabbed entirely the wrong end of the stick (to mix two metaphors) and resorted to thinly veiled (or not-so-veiled) insults.
Just for the record, I didn't insult anyone intentionally. If that happened, I'm sorry; I wasn't attempting to sling insults, subliminally or otherwise. It just seemed like every other mod was making it a point to go out against MC, and when you have a 5-on-1 debate going on, that really only angers the aggressor more.

And to me, it seemed like you'd put "looking like you're in the right" above above actually trying to solve the problem. My brother and MC are both a little too harsh in their defenses, so I'm hoping to soften the blow by saying this: no insults were meant, and I'm sorry if anyone got offended. (Though I can't truly see how....)

In fact, I think I even digressed from my argument to talk about the movie (what this thread is really about), and I even suggested some different things. Something ironic about my suggestion, is that the guy who had the original Halo movie idea was Hamm Media, one of the guys on the "most unpopular" list. Go figure.
Posted: Mon, 29th Jan 2007, 3:35am

Post 55 of 70

Hybrid-Halo

Force: 9315 | Joined: 7th Feb 2003 | Posts: 3367

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 3 Pro User MuzzlePlug User PowerPlug User FXpreset Maker Windows User MacOS User

SuperUser

As far as I can see, Turtleneck was rated down for aggressively defending something which was not under attack. If you read the initial posts you'll see that Halo was termed "A mediocre game" and "limp franchise from what I've seen of the game, particularly with regard to the rather vacant (both in terms of personality and art direction) character of Master Chief."

Whether or not you agree with these opinions is pretty irrelevent as they are both opinions which directly address the thoughts regarding a Halo movie - which is what the thread's about.

To jump in and directly attack those opinions and proving your point by stating statistically that the Halo franchise generates a lot of money is unabashedly idiotic. That the franchise is a success was never under debate. Add in a bunch of demeaning and personally aimed terms and I'd say you've earned some negative ratings. Especially when how good you are at a game in no way affects your opinion on it from a gamer standpoint, to go on to insult people or a community which you've not contributed to in the slightest is pretty much asking for it... It appears the last post of Turtle's was asking for nails in the coffin, in which case I'm happy to hammer away.

Why this isn't obvious to you, I'm unsure.

Now, moving on from that - I'm not sure why when opinions are involved people see the Mods as some form of collective. We have always been and continue to be a group of individuals and don't moderate arguments we want to partake within. It's not like we're the justice league flying out as a united force to counteract some idiotic posting.

Although that would be totally cool.

-Hybrid.

p.s. The post ratings dictate something slightly different to 5:1...
Posted: Mon, 29th Jan 2007, 3:40am

Post 56 of 70

ben3308

Force: 5210 | Joined: 24th May 2004 | Posts: 6433

VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Ah, but the mods I counted at first were you, Tarn, Sollthar, and Xcession. Actually more, like 4:1 with three times the negative rating power. Yeah, that's more like it.
Posted: Mon, 29th Jan 2007, 4:12am

Post 57 of 70

Zephlon

Force: 2282 | Joined: 28th Jun 2005 | Posts: 254

VisionLab User FXpreset Maker FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Rating: +1

Wow its amazing how one thread can make everyone want to kill each other.

My opinion (not like any one cares) Halo is a fun social event, kind of like WOW is. halo parties (LAN or online) are fun, so are SOCOM parties, Gears parties, or what ever else you like, its just, in my opinion, halo was the first FPS for a console with a fun balanced multi-player game, that people could get together chat, taunt, and laugh with each other. It was a new experience for people

I was used to playing 007 as my only 4 person multi-player on a console (N64), then when halo came out, you could play up to 12 people!, you could drive vehicle's!, and at the time, the graphics were pretty ground breaking. It was like an eye-gasm overload to a little n64'er like my self. I think as some-one else mentioned, it was just the first of its type done well on a console, that’s why its was such a hit, and halo 2 was a hit just cause it’s was the same game with a few things added to it to make it even more fun.

I don't see why we are all bashing each other over sales, stupid comment about "your gay", and other things like that. Some people like the game, some don't that’s it. And all that’s besides the topic anyways, it started off as a simple question about news on the halo movie.

I myself would go see it (like i did the DOOM movie, and like i will go see prince of Persia, by Bruckheimer in 2008) I think it could be interesting based off the plot in the books, not the plot in the game.

But that’s just my input.
Posted: Mon, 29th Jan 2007, 4:26am

Post 58 of 70

Hybrid-Halo

Force: 9315 | Joined: 7th Feb 2003 | Posts: 3367

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 3 Pro User MuzzlePlug User PowerPlug User FXpreset Maker Windows User MacOS User

SuperUser

ben3308 wrote:

Ah, but the mods I counted at first were you, Tarn, Sollthar, and Xcession. Actually more, like 4:1 with three times the negative rating power. Yeah, that's more like it.
Three times the what? We don't get any special negative rating powers, that'd just be crazy. I'm still yet to see why or how us being Mods affects much, it's not like we use the position to claim we're correct, infact none of us had even mentioned it. The attitude befuddles me.

And oooh BruckHeimers involved with a Prince of Persia movie?! That sounds interesting, I wonder how they'll work a story as a huge portion of the game is obviously based around the platformy/climbing elements with much less emphasis on story.
Posted: Mon, 29th Jan 2007, 8:39am

Post 59 of 70

Joshua Davies

Force: 25400 | Joined: 21st Mar 2001 | Posts: 3029

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 5 Pro User MuzzlePlug User PowerPlug User PhotoKey 3 Plug-in User FXpreset Maker Windows User MacOS User

FXhome Team Member

MC Turtl3n3ck wrote:

The Halo franchise is absolutely the most dominant franchise in video gaming history, and any idiot that says its mediocre deserves to be shot.
Hehe, talk about a gaming noob! Halo is no where NEAR the most dominant franchise in video gaming history! Its sold 12-13 million copies (5 million Halo 1 and 7-8 million Halo 2).

Each version of Grand Theft Auto on the PS2 has sold that many alone! Just looking at recent games franchises you have GTA, Gran Turismo, Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy and Tomb Raider which all destroy Halo in sales.

Of course, when it comes to franchise power even these are tiny compared to Nintendo big sellers. Pokémon and Zelda make Halo look utterly insignificant but Mario really is the daddy having out sold the Halo franchise about 10 times over!
Posted: Mon, 29th Jan 2007, 9:08am

Post 60 of 70

Simon K Jones

Force: 27955 | Joined: 1st Jan 2002 | Posts: 11683

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 5 Pro User MuzzlePlug User PowerPlug User PhotoKey 3 Plug-in User FXhome Movie Maker FXpreset Maker Windows User

FXhome Team Member

ben wrote:

Just for the record, I didn't insult anyone intentionally.
That's good to know, hopefully things can get back on track now.

Unfortunately given turtle's most recent post (which I had to delete due to its unjustified offensiveness) it's pretty clear that he was trying to insult people (everyone, in fact), even if you and atom gave him the benefit of the doubt.

And now to return to our advertised programme...

One potential problem would be that a lot of the Halo concepts are long-established in science fiction literature and television. While the games remain as games and outside of the general mainstream (sure, they hit the gaming mainstream, but they're still not on the same kind of level as some other mediums) they can get away with that, and it works really well, but moved into a bigger world they might get pulled up for idea stitching.

It's a bit like Max Payne, which people always cite as a good game-to-movie option. While its OTT, almost comedy noirish-ness works really well in the gaming world, as there's little to compare it to, transposed to film it'd just seem like a sub-par film noir, as it would then be directly compared to all the great film noirs that have been made over the years.

I think personally I'd like to see a really loose film adaptation of Halo, as there are some visual concepts (the Halo ring world thing primarily) that would be great to see on the big screen. Some of the cheesier aspects could be left behind, however.

May I remind everyone that halo was not mean't to be a PC game
Wasn't it meant to be a Mac game? And then a PC game, but then Microsoft bought Bungie out and it was fast-tracked as an xbox exclusive? The feature set that was conceived for the original Mac/PC game of Halo was cut down drastically for the console version, as I understand it.

I could be wrong there though, so I'm happy to be corrected by anyone that knows their gaming history better than me.
Posted: Mon, 29th Jan 2007, 6:43pm

Post 61 of 70

Hybrid-Halo

Force: 9315 | Joined: 7th Feb 2003 | Posts: 3367

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 3 Pro User MuzzlePlug User PowerPlug User FXpreset Maker Windows User MacOS User

SuperUser

Tarn wrote:

Wasn't it meant to be a Mac game? And then a PC game, but then Microsoft bought Bungie out and it was fast-tracked as an xbox exclusive? The feature set that was conceived for the original Mac/PC game of Halo was cut down drastically for the console version, as I understand it.

I could be wrong there though, so I'm happy to be corrected by anyone that knows their gaming history better than me.
You're correct on that Tarn, Bungie used to make a Mac shooter called Marathon which introduced some small aspects of Halo through it's storyline / information hidden away on computer systems, the Spartan suit for example. I remember way back in 1999 when Halo was announced as a Work in Progress for the Mac, oh how things changed.

I think at some point, Halo was to be an RTS too. Crazy.

-Hybrid.
Posted: Mon, 29th Jan 2007, 7:19pm

Post 62 of 70

Waser

Force: 4731 | Joined: 7th Sep 2003 | Posts: 3111

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 2 Pro User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

SuperUser

Hybrid-Halo wrote:



I think at some point, Halo was to be an RTS too. Crazy.

-Hybrid.
Considering the fond memories I have of Myth, that could have been awesome. Though, I have serious doubts about the new Halo RTS coming out.
Posted: Mon, 29th Jan 2007, 10:17pm

Post 63 of 70

ssj john

Force: 563 | Joined: 4th Nov 2003 | Posts: 795

Windows User MacOS User

Member

Tarn wrote:


May I remind everyone that halo was not mean't to be a PC game
Wasn't it meant to be a Mac game? And then a PC game, but then Microsoft bought Bungie out and it was fast-tracked as an xbox exclusive? The feature set that was conceived for the original Mac/PC game of Halo was cut down drastically for the console version, as I understand it.

I could be wrong there though, so I'm happy to be corrected by anyone that knows their gaming history better than me.
Well it depends on which version of halo you are talking about. Halo was originally supposed to be in RTS from the very begining. And yes it was for the mac, not for the pc. Then it was bought out by microsoft and it then turned into a 3rd person then a 1st person shooter for the xbox. Once it was on the xbox thats when they went back and adapted it to the PC. So no, Halo was never orginally intended for WINDOWS pc's from the beginning of development, either as a RTS or Shooter. And the first person shooter was implemented after they decided to make it for the xbox.
Posted: Tue, 30th Jan 2007, 7:53am

Post 64 of 70

Sollthar

Force: 13360 | Joined: 30th Oct 2001 | Posts: 6094

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 2 Pro User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User MacOS User

SuperUser

No surprise it's a crap game then... wink
Posted: Tue, 30th Jan 2007, 1:43pm

Post 65 of 70

Orin Warren

Force: 658 | Joined: 2nd Oct 2006 | Posts: 461

Windows User

Member

I wouldn't say Halo a crap game, it does bring endless enjoyment on Xbox live.
Posted: Wed, 31st Jan 2007, 1:45am

Post 66 of 70

Gnome326

Force: 10 | Joined: 21st Mar 2005 | Posts: 436

Windows User

Member

miker wrote:

Why doesn't Bill Gates just fund it? O-o
Or at least foot a good portion of the budget.
Posted: Wed, 31st Jan 2007, 2:08am

Post 67 of 70

Hybrid-Halo

Force: 9315 | Joined: 7th Feb 2003 | Posts: 3367

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 3 Pro User MuzzlePlug User PowerPlug User FXpreset Maker Windows User MacOS User

SuperUser

Orin Warren wrote:

I wouldn't say Halo a crap game, it does bring endless enjoyment on Xbox live.
Only if you're stuck in the past and not playing Gears of War. razz
Posted: Wed, 31st Jan 2007, 3:09am

Post 68 of 70

Orin Warren

Force: 658 | Joined: 2nd Oct 2006 | Posts: 461

Windows User

Member

Hybrid-Halo wrote:

Orin Warren wrote:

I wouldn't say Halo a crap game, it does bring endless enjoyment on Xbox live.
Only if you're stuck in the past and not playing Gears of War. razz
ture since I don't own a Xobx, I'm sorry to say I'm stuck in the past and only play Halo with my fiends who do own one.
Posted: Wed, 31st Jan 2007, 9:12am

Post 69 of 70

Simon K Jones

Force: 27955 | Joined: 1st Jan 2002 | Posts: 11683

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 5 Pro User MuzzlePlug User PowerPlug User PhotoKey 3 Plug-in User FXhome Movie Maker FXpreset Maker Windows User

FXhome Team Member

Gnome326 wrote:

miker wrote:

Why doesn't Bill Gates just fund it? O-o
Or at least foot a good portion of the budget.
I imagine he's too busy funding important things, like charities. smile
Posted: Wed, 31st Jan 2007, 10:12pm

Post 70 of 70

ssj john

Force: 563 | Joined: 4th Nov 2003 | Posts: 795

Windows User MacOS User

Member

Hybrid-Halo wrote:

Orin Warren wrote:

I wouldn't say Halo a crap game, it does bring endless enjoyment on Xbox live.
Only if you're stuck in the past and not playing Gears of War. razz
I have no soubt gears of war is a superior game to halo 2, but that doesnt mean that halo 2 or 1 is crap. Thats like saying mario 64 sucks because it is old when in my opinion is way better than the marios they have for the gamecube...