You are viewing an archive of the old fxhome.com forums. The community has since moved to hitfilm.com.

Atomic Demo Reel Test!

Good concept for a reel?

Hellz Yes21%[ 4 ]
No Joe37%[ 7 ]
I like Ben more than you42%[ 8 ]

Total Votes : 19

Posted: Sat, 23rd Jun 2007, 11:56pm

Post 1 of 60

Atom

Force: 4300 | Joined: 9th May 2004 | Posts: 7014

EffectsLab Lite User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Well, in boredom I decided to crack out the ol' NLE and take a whip at an exercise of my editing skillzzz. The result was a one minute demo showcase for yours truly and Atomic Productions.

I plan on making an actual longer and better one right before our DVD release, without copyrighted music. But for now, here it is:

Some Good Atomic Fun!
Atomic Demo Reel Test -Youtube
Atomic Demo Reel Test -Facebook Video

Sorry about the flash file, but I'm too lazy and impatient to get it up on my server, which is bogged-down right now anyway. Hope y'all enjoy!
Posted: Sun, 24th Jun 2007, 12:07am

Post 2 of 60

SilverDragon7

Force: 2265 | Joined: 29th Jun 2006 | Posts: 1990

VisionLab User VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Nice.

One movie I saw was Splinter Cell, but I haven't seen it, where could I?
Posted: Sun, 24th Jun 2007, 12:19am

Post 3 of 60

Atom

Force: 4300 | Joined: 9th May 2004 | Posts: 7014

EffectsLab Lite User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Rating: +1

SilverDragon7 wrote:

Nice.

One movie I saw was Splinter Cell, but I haven't seen it, where could I?
Go back 2 years and ask us to finish it, that seems to be the most popular means of viewing. wink
Posted: Sun, 24th Jun 2007, 12:21am

Post 4 of 60

SilverDragon7

Force: 2265 | Joined: 29th Jun 2006 | Posts: 1990

VisionLab User VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Oh.

*Travels back 2 years*

FINISH IT

*Slaps the Adams Bros. in the face*

*Travels back to the present*
Posted: Sun, 24th Jun 2007, 12:50am

Post 5 of 60

Serpent

Force: 5426 | Joined: 26th Dec 2003 | Posts: 6515

CompositeLab Pro User EffectsLab Pro User FXhome Movie Maker FXpreset Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

Honestly did not like it. There was a lot of good footage, but then a lot of "You Tube" looking footage. Hip hop is a big turn off for a lot of people (me included). A demo reel is meant to reach a lot of different kind of people. Also, I think one of your strong points is dialogue. You should definitely tie it in. My .02.
Posted: Sun, 24th Jun 2007, 1:02am

Post 6 of 60

Rawree

Force: 3250 | Joined: 27th Jun 2002 | Posts: 1925

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

Serpent wrote:

Honestly did not like it. There was a lot of good footage, but then a lot of "You Tube" looking footage. Hip hop is a big turn off for a lot of people (me included). A demo reel is meant to reach a lot of different kind of people. Also, I think one of your strong points is dialogue. You should definitely tie it in. My .02.
I only really have 2 main criticisms, both of which are sort of covered here. There was a really noticable variation in the quality of the clips; some obviously look very theatrical and then there's the odd one that looks like a home movie that's been squeezed in (the two clips at around the 35/36 second mark, especially given the heavily graded cinematic clips before and after them). Maybe reduce the number of clips so that you're not constantly cutting and cutting every couple of seconds and so that it gives the audience a chance to appreciate what they're seeing - if you think of your demo reel as an art gallery at the moment it feels like trying to look around from the cockpit of a jet fighter; there's no time to take any of it in.

The music is another issue because I think it's a very "love it or hate it" genre. When you come to replacing the soundtrack just go for something instrumental and drum and bass/dancey like everyone does biggrin
Posted: Sun, 24th Jun 2007, 1:19am

Post 7 of 60

Atom

Force: 4300 | Joined: 9th May 2004 | Posts: 7014

EffectsLab Lite User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Serpent wrote:

Hip hop is a big turn off for a lot of people
Maybe we just live in an urban area, but that kind of music (hip-hop/rock hybrid) is possibly the most accepted form of music and, IMO, packs a good punch for a montage of clips. I personally don't like hip-hop, but I can definitely drive to a good mix (try Jay-Z/Linkin Park mashups, Serp) of two genres.

It's something I can't really explain.

I knew you were gonna get onto that, though. You're one of those 'Dave Matthews Band' types, aren't you? smile

Rawree, you're completely right about the variation. It's mostly just a fun little thing, not my professional/official reel. The grading changes are to show our/my ability to shift in styles. A range, so to speak. Maybe that wasn't conveyed well enough. But, hey, that's why it's up here for criticism.
Posted: Sun, 24th Jun 2007, 1:23am

Post 8 of 60

doppelganger

Force: 134 | Joined: 16th May 2006 | Posts: 1157

MacOS User

Member

DAVE MATTHEWS BAND!!

Anyways I liked it... the song was good for it.

Favorite shot was the one of the guy standing out in the rain from you sc movie.

Linkin park has a lot of rap mixed in with rock its pretty awsome, 2nd favorite band behind Relient K.
Posted: Sun, 24th Jun 2007, 2:01am

Post 9 of 60

FCRabbath

Force: 305 | Joined: 11th Oct 2004 | Posts: 583

Member

Personally not a fan of the song, neat footage tho.
Posted: Sun, 24th Jun 2007, 2:14am

Post 10 of 60

Rockfilmers

Force: 2182 | Joined: 10th May 2007 | Posts: 1376

VisionLab User PhotoKey 4 User FXpreset Maker FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

I couldn't watch this without turning my speakers off.
Posted: Sun, 24th Jun 2007, 2:47am

Post 11 of 60

Serpent

Force: 5426 | Joined: 26th Dec 2003 | Posts: 6515

CompositeLab Pro User EffectsLab Pro User FXhome Movie Maker FXpreset Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

Atom wrote:

(try Jay-Z/Linkin Park mashups, Serp) of two genres.

It's something I can't really explain.

I knew you were gonna get onto that, though. You're one of those 'Dave Matthews Band' types, aren't you? smile
Oh my. You clearly don't know what kind of music I like at all... Hip hop and Dave Matthews Band are not the only two existing genres of music. You are clearly joking, but so far off.

As Rawree said, "love it or hate it." I hate it, as do others. If you make it more soundtracky and let the footage do the work, you'll find the music will just be background and won't turn anyone off. A percentage of users in this thread were turned off by the music. Same thing's going to happen if you plan to show this to someone as a demo of your work. (Not to mention it's copyrighted.)
Posted: Sun, 24th Jun 2007, 3:20am

Post 12 of 60

Atom

Force: 4300 | Joined: 9th May 2004 | Posts: 7014

EffectsLab Lite User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Well, I don't plan on it, nor using it, nor using copyrighted music at all. It's all just a bit of fun, really. Just wanted to know what people thought...so........thanks. smile

I quite like this style of music (again, a hybrid) and know it appeals to the majority, IMO, of the population and media industry around where I live. That's just how it is in da' nasty. (South wink) It's different in the east as a whole, regardless of personal taste, it's just less into so-called "hip-hop" stuff, and that's cool.

But it's still music.

And I'm not one of those big music-listeners, either, Serp. If it's good or catchy, I'll listen to it. Plain and simple. I don't have an aversion for any particular type/genre. Not saying you do, just........whatever. smile

Sorry you didn't like it. Maybe I'll try, Aculag-willing, some Presh in my real demo reel.
Posted: Sun, 24th Jun 2007, 3:24am

Post 13 of 60

Fill

Force: 1257 | Joined: 1st Jul 2005 | Posts: 1652

CompositeLab Lite User EffectsLab Lite User Windows User

Gold Member

Yeah, the song pretty much ruined this. I hate rap. Rock has innuendo, while rap just says it. Rap's message is, "Pop them <insert racist word>s and f**k my hoes." and rock's message is, "Have a good time." Unless you're talking emo/screamo.

Er, Atom, people in the south listen to that song as much as people up north here. I think about 30% of my friends myspaces have that song.
Posted: Sun, 24th Jun 2007, 3:45am

Post 14 of 60

ben3308

Force: 5210 | Joined: 24th May 2004 | Posts: 6433

VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

SWG, there's a HUGE difference between rap and hip hop (I took a week-long school-excused class on the history of hip hop, this was before I was a fan of it) because hip hop either has meaning, or is about- as you say rock is- having a good time.

Listen to the lyrics of 'Party Like a Rockstar' and you'll hear it's about nothing more than having a good time and partying, as you should know, like a 'rockstar'. wink

As for turning it off just because of the music: I think that's really rather ignorant. I cringe to watch some stuff on this site, but that doesn't mean I'll turn it off. At least be open to other styles that others may favor, it doesn't mean it's the end all.

However, I don't really like this as a reel at all, not enough time to catch one's breath, nor a variety of filmic-looking shots, and so, I must say I don't endorse this being posted, or officiated as a 'reel' for that matter. In fact, I'm rather partial to the third option on the poll....

Posted: Sun, 24th Jun 2007, 4:03am

Post 15 of 60

Thrawn

Force: 1995 | Joined: 11th Aug 2006 | Posts: 1962

CompositeLab Pro User EffectsLab Lite User FXhome Movie Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

uh... did you just make that?
Posted: Sun, 24th Jun 2007, 4:17am

Post 16 of 60

Atom

Force: 4300 | Joined: 9th May 2004 | Posts: 7014

EffectsLab Lite User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Unfortunately that shows the kind of time he has on his hands.

In other words, yes.
Posted: Sun, 24th Jun 2007, 5:30am

Post 17 of 60

KA Productions

Force: 1010 | Joined: 24th Dec 2006 | Posts: 255

VisionLab User Windows User

Gold Member

Lol that song. I have heard so much of it lately, and I'm not even into hip hop. But, I have to say, the editing job fit the flow of the music, but as already mentioned, you mixed professional looking clips, and home video looking clips. But you were bored, so who gives a shit.

Hell, I respect it cause I don't even have enough videos to make a demo reel.

Next one, though, use a rock song.
Posted: Sun, 24th Jun 2007, 10:36am

Post 18 of 60

vilhelm nielsen

Force: 798 | Joined: 28th Jul 2003 | Posts: 345

EffectsLab Pro User FXpreset Maker Windows User

Gold Member

ben3308 wrote:

However, I don't really like this as a reel at all, not enough time to catch one's breath, nor a variety of filmic-looking shots, and so, I must say I don't endorse this being posted, or officiated as a 'reel' for that matter.
But the reel was uploaded to your Youtube channel (and Atoms). Did your brother "hack" your youtube account, or did you just change your mind?

Anyway, I'm not really a big fan of the music either.
Posted: Sun, 24th Jun 2007, 2:28pm

Post 19 of 60

ben3308

Force: 5210 | Joined: 24th May 2004 | Posts: 6433

VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

It's just Youtube, on there I don't care as much. Posting something on here, however, is a different story.
Posted: Sun, 24th Jun 2007, 2:59pm

Post 20 of 60

vilhelm nielsen

Force: 798 | Joined: 28th Jul 2003 | Posts: 345

EffectsLab Pro User FXpreset Maker Windows User

Gold Member

It just seems a bit much to upload it 2 times, even though one of the uploaders doesn't really like it.
Posted: Sun, 24th Jun 2007, 4:58pm

Post 21 of 60

CX3

Force: 3137 | Joined: 1st Apr 2003 | Posts: 2527

EffectsLab Lite User VideoWrap User MacOS User FXhome Movie Maker

Gold Member

Rap's message is, "Pop them <insert racist word>s and f**k my hoes." and rock's message is, "Have a good time."
What kind of ignorant idiotic post is that?? Raise your right hand and slap yourself.. Then repeat with the left..
Posted: Sun, 24th Jun 2007, 5:37pm

Post 22 of 60

ben3308

Force: 5210 | Joined: 24th May 2004 | Posts: 6433

VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

The only two active black members on this site, and they happen to disagree entirely on the matter of an African-American-dominated genre. I never thought I'd see the day.

Oh, and SWG, seeing as most hip hop artists these days all come from Houston, I'd wager anything that it's way more popular down here; in Texas at least. Even the whitest Dave-Matthews-Band-loving white friend of mine knew what "Party Like a Rockstar" was, who made it, and when it became popular; and I don't think this guy is into rap at all.

Just something to think about.
Posted: Sun, 24th Jun 2007, 5:40pm

Post 23 of 60

Atom

Force: 4300 | Joined: 9th May 2004 | Posts: 7014

EffectsLab Lite User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

CX3 wrote:

Rap's message is, "Pop them <insert racist word>s and f**k my hoes." and rock's message is, "Have a good time."
What kind of ignorant idiotic post is that?? Raise your right hand and slap yourself.. Then repeat with the left..
And thus is the problem with ignorance and assumptions about any non-white music. Ahhhh......can't you smell that good old fashioned racism. wink

Anywho, back to the demo! Sorry you all don't care for the song. I'll try something more universally accepted on the official one.
Posted: Sun, 24th Jun 2007, 6:38pm

Post 24 of 60

Rawree

Force: 3250 | Joined: 27th Jun 2002 | Posts: 1925

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

Sorry to do this to your thread Atom but I'm oddly compelled to argue on yours and Bens side for once (kind of...).

Whoever said that rock's message is about "having a good time" is clearly living in a fantasy world in which the only available rock is old Bon Jovi records. Rock music (and associated styles) is full of sleaze, drugs, violence, anger, depression, discontent, materialism and hate just as much as hip hop or rap. I suppose the classic example would be Nirvana and Kurt Cobain, he wasn't singing about having a good time (I was originally going to mention the Sex Pistols as well but I know that someone will pick me up on the fact that technically they're punk etc etc). As for the lyrics being more subtle I think you'll find that you're talking rubbish there!

I'm always slightly annoyed when anyone says that they "hate" a particular genre of music, it just shows how closed minded they can be. Chances are a lot of the music you listen to draws inspiration from the same places as hip hop and rap (or even directly from those styles) and in many ways they're not that different. I don't have any Cliff Richard on my iPod and yet I respect his music simply for impact that he had on some of my favourite guitarists (alright, it's the Shadows that I acually respect, Cliff Richard himself is pretty dire). On a more relevant note: If can't appreciate elements of hip hop then it must mean you can't appreciate Rage Against the Machine - one of the greatest rock bands ever!

Basically, some of those whining about the choice of music need to grow up and open their minds a bit.
Posted: Sun, 24th Jun 2007, 7:32pm

Post 25 of 60

Pooky

Force: 4834 | Joined: 8th Jul 2003 | Posts: 5913

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User MacOS User FXhome Movie Maker

Gold Member

Well if that's the kind of music you like, I suppose sticking with it wouldn't be a bad idea, seeing as the reel is supposed to represent you.

However, I thought that the music was too slow and repetitive, and didn't keep my attention much longer than about 20 seconds. If you used something faster or that had more variation in it (which might mean no Rap or Hip-Hop) I think it'd work better.

But that's just me. I'm white.


I'm also joking
Posted: Sun, 24th Jun 2007, 7:38pm

Post 26 of 60

SilverDragon7

Force: 2265 | Joined: 29th Jun 2006 | Posts: 1990

VisionLab User VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Well I thinl the music doesn't 100% fit, most of your movies are dramas, so something slower and quiter might fit better.

But as Pooky said, it's supposed to represent Atomic Productions.
Posted: Sun, 24th Jun 2007, 8:45pm

Post 27 of 60

vilhelm nielsen

Force: 798 | Joined: 28th Jul 2003 | Posts: 345

EffectsLab Pro User FXpreset Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Rawree wrote:

...I suppose the classic example would be Nirvana and Kurt Cobain, he wasn't singing about having a good time (I was originally going to mention the Sex Pistols as well but I know that someone will pick me up on the fact that technically they're punk etc etc)...
Well, technically Nirvana is Grunge... *winks in a sarcastic way*

But I totally agree with you. Most rock is not about a walk in the park with a lovely woman, smiling at everyone you meet and listening to the birds singing.
Posted: Sun, 24th Jun 2007, 8:48pm

Post 28 of 60

SilverDragon7

Force: 2265 | Joined: 29th Jun 2006 | Posts: 1990

VisionLab User VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Tis is true, but then you find the could bands like Coldplay who bring a different style of rock (alternitive).
Posted: Sun, 24th Jun 2007, 9:04pm

Post 29 of 60

Rawree

Force: 3250 | Joined: 27th Jun 2002 | Posts: 1925

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

SilverDragon7 wrote:

Tis is true, but then you find the could bands like Coldplay who bring a different style of rock (alternitive).
What?
Posted: Sun, 24th Jun 2007, 9:09pm

Post 30 of 60

SilverDragon7

Force: 2265 | Joined: 29th Jun 2006 | Posts: 1990

VisionLab User VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

I agree that much of rock is full of sleaze, drugs, violence, anger, depression, discontent, materialism and hate just as much as hip hop or rap.

But then bands like Coldplay are there to keep the balance of rock.
Posted: Sun, 24th Jun 2007, 9:19pm

Post 31 of 60

Rawree

Force: 3250 | Joined: 27th Jun 2002 | Posts: 1925

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

SilverDragon7 wrote:

I agree that much of rock is full of sleaze, drugs, violence, anger, depression, discontent, materialism and hate just as much as hip hop or rap.

But then bands like Coldplay are there to keep the balance of rock.
I wouldn't exactly choose Coldplay as an example of happy clappy rock music. Sure Chris Martin is no Johnny Rotten when it comes to complaining about things but they're not exactly sunshine and rainbows.

"The Feeling" seem to have the whole cheerful world full of candyfloss thing going on but they just serve to prove that music like that ends up as drivel.
Posted: Sun, 24th Jun 2007, 9:21pm

Post 32 of 60

SilverDragon7

Force: 2265 | Joined: 29th Jun 2006 | Posts: 1990

VisionLab User VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Right, I see where your getting at.
Posted: Sun, 24th Jun 2007, 9:39pm

Post 33 of 60

Fill

Force: 1257 | Joined: 1st Jul 2005 | Posts: 1652

CompositeLab Lite User EffectsLab Lite User Windows User

Gold Member

I'll admit that my statement was a bit outrageous, but my opinion still stands that rap has a bad message. Sure, rock had drugs, sex, and violence, but it's not said straightforward(In most cases).

I'm always slightly annoyed when anyone says that they "hate" a particular genre of music, it just shows how closed minded they can be.
I do hate rap's message. The style of music isn't my cup of tea, but I don't hate it.

If can't appreciate elements of hip hop then it must mean you can't appreciate Rage Against the Machine - one of the greatest rock bands ever!
Rage Against the Machine is a great band.

Basically, some of those whining about the choice of music need to grow up and open their minds a bit.
I don't care what music people like, I care what the music says, and how it influences others.

And thus is the problem with ignorance and assumptions about any non-white music. Ahhhh......can't you smell that good old fashioned racism.
I know this is sarcasm, but 'non-white' music has nothing to do with this. Salsa isn't bad at all. I like it; not as much as rock(or if we're defining genres, post-punk), but I like the beats and the lyrics. The singers usually talk about the joys of life and how they love their country.

(I voted number 3 by the way)
Posted: Sun, 24th Jun 2007, 10:02pm

Post 34 of 60

Rawree

Force: 3250 | Joined: 27th Jun 2002 | Posts: 1925

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

Surely you can see how daft you sound making sweeping generalisations about a genre of music? I don't think there is a set message being promoted by rap music or hip hop any more than I think all books contain the same message as 'Mein Kampf' does. Perhaps you could enlighten us as to what the message being promoted is in rap music.

Oh and it's not just one genre of music that has the potential to influence people. I'm not even sure there's that much influencing going on, I'm not attempting to bring down capitalism whilst getting jacked up on heroin for example. Sounds like the kind of crap that people start spouting whenever something bad happens: "oh he must have watched/played/listened to the wrong thing and now he kills people".
Posted: Sun, 24th Jun 2007, 10:15pm

Post 35 of 60

Fill

Force: 1257 | Joined: 1st Jul 2005 | Posts: 1652

CompositeLab Lite User EffectsLab Lite User Windows User

Gold Member

For those calling me ignorant/arrogant, it's pretty damn hard to appreciate music that spews a word out that represents hundreds of years of oppression to a race of people. It's a damn shame that black people themselves use the n-word constantly like it's not big deal. News flash. It is a big deal.

Merriam-Webster says, "...but it now ranks as perhaps the most offensive and inflammatory racial slur in English." Honestly, I don't care if you're white or black, that word is just as offensive.

/rant

Last edited Sun, 24th Jun 2007, 10:23pm; edited 1 times in total.

Posted: Sun, 24th Jun 2007, 10:21pm

Post 36 of 60

ben3308

Force: 5210 | Joined: 24th May 2004 | Posts: 6433

VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

And so, the legend lives on....



Gotta love all those layered textures!
Posted: Sun, 24th Jun 2007, 10:32pm

Post 37 of 60

JackPot

Force: 10109 | Joined: 3rd Oct 2005 | Posts: 384

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 3 Pro User MuzzlePlug User PowerPlug User FXpreset Maker Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

heh.

When I watched your demo reel I was like, "Cool stuff, but the music sucks"

Then I read the rest of posts after the first and its mainly a discussion about the music.

...

I have never heard that song before. I am very liberal about music, and even I found it a bit sucky! Im from the UK though, so dont care much for hip hop.

However, I can imagine dancing to it in a club with a woman with a sexy booooooty after a few shots, beers, and cocktails...ect

But I thought your demo real was cool. (I have always enjoyed the stuff from atomic. You know you are gonna get a good standard of film making). The main problem I have with using that song in the background is that it doesnt seem to mix with the footage. (My perception may be slightly skewed because I can give context of those seemly random bits of footage [because I have seen all the atomic production films, {being an fxhome employee}]). Those snippets of film are not your classic hip hop genre.

If the music was in the back of the 8 mile trailer, then it would have worked.

I'd say a rock genre would have fitter more. Especially as the scenes seemed to be of the more emotional content.

on a different note:
LOL at the "I like ben more than you" option

on a separate note;
COME ON THE HAMMERS!

Last edited Sun, 24th Jun 2007, 10:36pm; edited 2 times in total.

Posted: Sun, 24th Jun 2007, 10:35pm

Post 38 of 60

SilverDragon7

Force: 2265 | Joined: 29th Jun 2006 | Posts: 1990

VisionLab User VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

ben3308 wrote:

You 50 dollor wh*re.
Posted: Sun, 24th Jun 2007, 10:37pm

Post 39 of 60

ben3308

Force: 5210 | Joined: 24th May 2004 | Posts: 6433

VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Kyal wrote:

For those calling me ignorant/arrogant, it's pretty damn hard to appreciate music that spews a word out that represents hundreds of years of oppression to a race of people.
That word does not represent hundreds of years of racism, my friend. It's an offensive racial slur, most certainly, but the etymology of the word by far is not solely synonymous with racism. In fact, it's misconceptions from the ignorance of people with alarmist views that have given the word its weight.

It's not as if today's 'rap' artists took the word straight from slaves. In fact, upon learning English, early African-Americans- slaves or otherwise- called themselves that and "negro"- a direct translation of "black"- for lack of a better word.

Why? Because that's the only descriptive word there was in the English language. White people are "white", black people are "black". As Americans we're blunt in our descriptions, but don't condemn us for it. Just because you're told a word is meant to remind you of days of slavery doesn't mean that's the truth.

Someone takes the word and says, "hey, that's racist!" without all the facts, and everyone else latches on. When an antagonist hears this, he effectively accepts it as a weapon of offense against a protagonist, because the protagonist has accepted it as inflammatory. This is pretty much most all explicit terms have come to be.



BUT......



Your original statement is horrible. Rap and hip-hop are two different kinds of music, get that straight. Hip-hop originated from the Puerto-Rican struggle in New York, and eventually spread to encompass the African-American crowd. It has employed the use of the word 'nigger' for a purpose: to empower he who says it, and, in effect, reverse the cycle of degradation of a race. It's actually meant as a jab back at white, corporate America; though nowadays I'll agree it's used in a more flippant manner.

Digressing, you still are ignorant. I'm not saying it's willful ignorance, nor am I accusing you of arrogance (I actually think you're a fine person with good ideas, that's why you're an honorary Atomic member!) but lumping "Party Like a Rockstar" into your view of the whole multi-genre of what appears to be breakbeat African-American-influenced music (I'm including rap, hip-hop, upbeat R&B, and a few others) is grossly inappropriate.

You have to see that you're categorizing something into your preconceived notions, and therefore prejudicing against them, man. You may not mean to, but you are. Bringing in the whole slavery thing is really just circular logic, as it's nothing to do with hip-hop, really.

Last edited Sun, 24th Jun 2007, 10:40pm; edited 1 times in total.

Posted: Sun, 24th Jun 2007, 10:40pm

Post 40 of 60

Bryce007

Force: 1910 | Joined: 5th Apr 2003 | Posts: 2609

VideoWrap User Windows User

Gold Member

Rating: +1

I really, truly dislike 95% of dirty south hip hop/rap. They generally have shockingly stupid, repetitive lyrics. (I do, however, Like both hip hop AND rap that ISN'T southern)

Lil' john should be put in the electric chair. Same with the yin yang twins.


But anyways, Yeah. Wasn't a fan of the demo reel.
Posted: Sun, 24th Jun 2007, 10:52pm

Post 41 of 60

Fill

Force: 1257 | Joined: 1st Jul 2005 | Posts: 1652

CompositeLab Lite User EffectsLab Lite User Windows User

Gold Member

I'm not talking about hip-hop and R&B. The n-word is a word for black people that was originated in a period of time that blacks were slaves.
Here's some history on the word.

I presume this debate is almost over due to the fact that we're starting to define things. That usually marks the end of an arguement on Fxhome. wink

(Thank you bryce)
Posted: Sun, 24th Jun 2007, 10:55pm

Post 42 of 60

ben3308

Force: 5210 | Joined: 24th May 2004 | Posts: 6433

VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Dirty South music is mainly rap, not hip-hop, so I'll agree with you there. The likes of Mike Jones, Chingo Bling, MIMS, and many other Houston-ites are guilty of mindless rap. However, I still think some of those songs can be enjoyable if they're not completely and obscenely ridiculous in content.

Classic and new generation hip-hop, on the other hand, is something that I think should be coveted the same as good classical music is.

Ice-T, Dr. Dre, Tupac, Notorious BIG, and several old school artists, along with newer school Steelo Sevizzle, Kanye West (to an extent), and Lupe Fiasco all have messages in their lyrics. Do they use the 'n' word? Yeah, but for purpose.

The problem with most people who dislike rap and hip-hop is that they don't actually take any time to listen to the lyrics themselves and they rather dismissively just shun the genre altogether. To me, this is the purest definition of ignorance I've seen, and I myself was completely, undoubtedly guilty of it until I took the course in the history of hip-hop. Before that week, I hated the mindless lyrics that Black-America was producing. Now, I completely appreciate it.

BUT....

...the cycle continues.





I'm not going to argue word semantics with you, SWG, as that'd just be stupid and pointless debating. The problem with the link you've posted, however, is that it compares the 'n' word to word of discrimination that might not always be true. "Wetback" and "Jewbird" assumes all Mexicans have to illegally immigrate or all Jews have large noses; whereas "negro" and its counterparts are descriptions that for the most part stay true to form, the equivalent of calling an Anglo "white". Genetically, Anglos are whiter than Africans, and vice-versa. Hence "white" and "black".

It just so happens that slavery came in and perverted people's conceptions of the word, so it's viewed as bad now. Essentially, the 'n' word is the same as calling someone "black", just not everyone sees it that way now that we've been indoctrinated into a culture of hate and suspicion.

I myself of course don't use it because of the historical connotations, I just want you to realize that the only reason I have an issue with this is because of the generalizations you've made about the rap and hip-hop genre. On a mostly British, white forum, who is going to defend the anthems of the southern man? Somebody has to! biggrin

Last edited Sun, 24th Jun 2007, 11:03pm; edited 1 times in total.

Posted: Sun, 24th Jun 2007, 10:59pm

Post 43 of 60

Fill

Force: 1257 | Joined: 1st Jul 2005 | Posts: 1652

CompositeLab Lite User EffectsLab Lite User Windows User

Gold Member

ben3308 wrote:

The problem with most people who dislike rap and hip-hop is that they don't actually take any time to listen to the lyrics themselves and they rather dismissively just shun the genre altogether.
You realize I was in a class for six months in which both people next to me were listening to rap the whole hour and twenty-five minutes of class?
Posted: Sun, 24th Jun 2007, 11:07pm

Post 44 of 60

ben3308

Force: 5210 | Joined: 24th May 2004 | Posts: 6433

VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

That doesn't come even close to you listening and absorbing the meaning of the words in the songs. Most likely, the people next to you played a great deal of mindless rap which you became desensitized to, then whenever they played actual hip-hop, you tuned it out.

I'm not saying this means you haven't heard the music itself, but comign from someone who has sat his whole life in a largely black and Mexican social landscape (somewhere around 15% white), I for sure know there's a difference between becoming frustrated over the repetitive white noise of commonplace rap and delving into the meaning of rarer hip-hop. Listen to anything Dr. Dre has done, in detail, and maybe you'll understand. I recommend "The Chronic".

As an African-American, I'd daresay you have a near obligation to do this, as it really is an integral part of the history of the struggle of your people. That's what hip-hop is, man.
Posted: Sun, 24th Jun 2007, 11:19pm

Post 45 of 60

Rawree

Force: 3250 | Joined: 27th Jun 2002 | Posts: 1925

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member



I was worried that this was going in a slightly race-related direction so now that God has spoken perhaps that won't happen.
Posted: Sun, 24th Jun 2007, 11:28pm

Post 46 of 60

Bryce007

Force: 1910 | Joined: 5th Apr 2003 | Posts: 2609

VideoWrap User Windows User

Gold Member

Since this is an adam's bros thread, I'll steer off topic to say this:


Old school rap, to me, it's beyond absurd.

I DO listen to the lyrics. And I'm actually surprised at just how astoundingly vulgar they get.

I don't really care if thats "THEY LIFE ON DA STREET!". NWA and, more specifically, Eazy E, Wrote some of the most intensely nasty, brutal and disgusting so called "Songs" that I've ever heard in my entire life. It's not important. it's not "cool" or "actual hip hop". It's a bunch of immoral degenerates trying to cash in on their image.

And keep in mind...I used to like Eminem before he started sucking.
Posted: Sun, 24th Jun 2007, 11:31pm

Post 47 of 60

vilhelm nielsen

Force: 798 | Joined: 28th Jul 2003 | Posts: 345

EffectsLab Pro User FXpreset Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Rap isn't all about West-side, East-side and ho's, there are other kinds of hip-hop and rap music.

For example I like Beastie Boys. That's rap, ain't it?

So please listen to Keith Richards, and stop talking about the racial issues. That battle has been going for over 100 years, and it will never stop.

By the way... I didn't listen to Ben3308 at first, but when I heard Sean Connery voted option three, I had to go for it.
Posted: Sun, 24th Jun 2007, 11:35pm

Post 48 of 60

ben3308

Force: 5210 | Joined: 24th May 2004 | Posts: 6433

VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Bryce007 wrote:

Old school rap, to me, it's beyond absurd.
Eazy E was okay in some of his stuff, but NWA and Dead Prez were way too extreme for what was going on. Not only were they cashing in on their image, but they were using their voice of influence in the wrong manner. I'm speaking Old School in the vein of Dr. Dre, early Eminem (sort of transitional for old/new school) and, to get to the main point here, Tupac.

However,

What does everyone think of the demoreel?
Posted: Sun, 24th Jun 2007, 11:37pm

Post 49 of 60

Sollthar

Force: 13360 | Joined: 30th Oct 2001 | Posts: 6094

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 2 Pro User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User MacOS User

SuperUser

Demoreel didn't look like much to me. A bunch of random shots, some good, most on a level pretty much everyone with a camera and some grading skills can pull off. Hence not something you want to be "demoing". The point of demoreel is only use your best work and best shots that will make the best impression.
That wasn't the case in this reel for me.

Oh, and rap sucks terribly. All of it.
Posted: Sun, 24th Jun 2007, 11:45pm

Post 50 of 60

ben3308

Force: 5210 | Joined: 24th May 2004 | Posts: 6433

VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Sollthar wrote:

Oh, and rap sucks terribly. All of it.
Not true.

And there are plenty more. wink
Posted: Mon, 25th Jun 2007, 12:17am

Post 51 of 60

Atom

Force: 4300 | Joined: 9th May 2004 | Posts: 7014

EffectsLab Lite User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Whoa, a little late to my own game and I find non-Atom-caused ruckus. Well, well. For all you uncultured hoebags like SWG (wink):

GET
OFF
MY
THREAD!


And take your damn opinion about music with you. You got comments like Jack's, that can include both the demo and music, be my guest to post. I don't want to hear the music mess. I talk my way around good and bad film for days, but you bring up music and I'm out.

Always too much drama. Oh, well.
Posted: Mon, 25th Jun 2007, 12:20am

Post 52 of 60

JackPot

Force: 10109 | Joined: 3rd Oct 2005 | Posts: 384

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 3 Pro User MuzzlePlug User PowerPlug User FXpreset Maker Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

Atom wrote:



You got comments like Jack's, that can include both the demo and music, be my guest to post.
So, what say you?


do you think I have a point about the emo content of the reel being more suitable to rock music?
Posted: Mon, 25th Jun 2007, 12:27am

Post 53 of 60

Fill

Force: 1257 | Joined: 1st Jul 2005 | Posts: 1652

CompositeLab Lite User EffectsLab Lite User Windows User

Gold Member

Posted: Mon, 25th Jun 2007, 12:31am

Post 54 of 60

SilverDragon7

Force: 2265 | Joined: 29th Jun 2006 | Posts: 1990

VisionLab User VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Serious you are not.
Posted: Mon, 25th Jun 2007, 6:22am

Post 55 of 60

CX3

Force: 3137 | Joined: 1st Apr 2003 | Posts: 2527

EffectsLab Lite User VideoWrap User MacOS User FXhome Movie Maker

Gold Member

I'll admit that my statement was a bit outrageous, but my opinion still stands that rap has a bad message.
Thats pathetic dood...

Its pretty sad that a person (a black person, at that!) can make a generalization on such a HUGE genre like rap. Cuz you know... ALL and EVERY rap song drops the n word and sends horrible messages... (sarcasm, for the slower)

Hey you know, the people that took down the twin towers were arabic. And you know what... I didnt care much for the message they were trying to send... So I'm not gonna like all the rest of the arabs as well. Problem solved! biggrin

............

Your in the nominees for my 07' stupidest comment awards. It's lookin good for you this year too.



Oh... *looks over at Sollthar to make sure he was being sarcastic in his last statement* ha
Posted: Mon, 25th Jun 2007, 8:17am

Post 56 of 60

Sollthar

Force: 13360 | Joined: 30th Oct 2001 | Posts: 6094

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 2 Pro User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User MacOS User

SuperUser

Oh... *looks over at Sollthar to make sure he was being sarcastic in his last statement* ha
Yeah, rap has a bad message dood... It's against world peace and such.


No, I simply don't like the music style. It's no orchestral score, so chances are I won't like it. wink
Posted: Mon, 25th Jun 2007, 8:41am

Post 57 of 60

B3N

Force: 3081 | Joined: 26th Feb 2006 | Posts: 1534

VisionLab User VideoWrap User FXpreset Maker Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

I agree with Sollthar and a few others here. Rap isn't my thing as i'm not really into the 'style off' it, but to be honest I stuck up with it and watched the video. The video it's self needs to have longer clips as many seem to cut through to quickly making the veiwer unable to examine your work.

Seeing as pictures are popping up everywhere on this thread also.


B3N wink
Posted: Thu, 28th Jun 2007, 4:22am

Post 58 of 60

miker

Force: 386 | Joined: 30th Jul 2005 | Posts: 651

EffectsLab Lite User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Liked the footage, hated the music.
Posted: Thu, 28th Jun 2007, 4:29am

Post 59 of 60

SilverDragon7

Force: 2265 | Joined: 29th Jun 2006 | Posts: 1990

VisionLab User VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

The music is 50-50 with me, I hate Rap music, but it suits what it is for.
Posted: Thu, 28th Jun 2007, 12:44pm

Post 60 of 60

Arktic

Force: 9977 | Joined: 10th Nov 2003 | Posts: 2785

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 2 Pro User FXhome Movie Maker FXpreset Maker Windows User MacOS User

SuperUser

Well, I'm not going to get into the whole debate about rap/hip-hop/the 'n' word/etc, mostly because wether or not I like rap (or any of the rest of that debate) has nothing to do with what I make of this demo reel.

It's quite a nice piece, but the music does spoil it. Not because I don't like that style of music, but because the music is far too downbeat for this kind of montage, imho. I think *that* is what's most likely to put people off, rather than just a distaste of the genre.

The music choice also links to the other MAJOR major flaw here - there's a lack of context and therefore meaning. This is what's going to sell you as a film-maker. Meaning for the audience.

The problem is that with lots of silent clips of footage (albeit very, very pretty footage), there's no message to get. Yes, after the first ten seconds I can see that you a) can make a good shot and b) you can edit. But that's it. And then because there's no context to any of the clips, you're drawn to listen to the music. And, for me at least, there's an incongruence between the style of shots and editing and the track. The visual action pounds with breakneck speed, really showcasing your tallents... but the song just plods along "party.. woo... party like a rockstar... yeah... woo.. oh yeah". There's no sound DRIVING the action, which you need for a montage set to music.

What I think you need to do for a reel to REALLY show off your skills, start in a similar way, with maybe 30s of choppy editing, but then slow it down a little and show us the clips of the films themselves, so that we get CONTEXT for them, and therefore MEANING.

Because meaning is what seperates art from a sequence of pretty flashing lights. You've got the style, you've got the look, but you're lacking in substance. Give us more substance, more context, and you'll be onto a winner IMHO.

Here is a ten minute montage that I edited, with a team of sub-editors. This, to me, is a good (not perfect, but good) example of how a demo reel should be cut. This was ls:tv's entry into the 2007 NaSTA 'Best Broadcaster' Award. And trust me when I say that editing an ENTIRE YEAR'S worth of content down into 10 measly minutes is a hell of a task - me and the station manager pulled an all nighter to get the final project edited, and it was really hard work. Worth it, in the end though, because I'm very pleased with the way the showreel turned out.

We tried here to show that yes, we've got flashy graphics and editing, but we also have top-quality content, which we reflected by pacing the video evenly with sections of fast montage set to music, and slower sections that showed off what each of our programmes offer. Also, note the music choices - we never stay with any particular track too long, and they're all pretty 'none-offensive' (i.e. you hear them, but they shouldn't stand out). They're also what I'd call 'beat heavy', in that most of the tracks put a heavy emphasis on the drums and rhythm - this is so that when you bring the track volume down to run a clip that's already got dialogue or an SFX track over it, you can still hear the beat and keep the pace, but it doesn't distract from the action.

We won the award, so at the end of the day, this demoreel did what it set out to do, and showed off the entire team's skills and abilities in the best possible light. (Apologies for the really rubbish low-quality version that's up there, I've now left ls:tv, so I can't really do anything about that, unless I find another host and upload my own copy... which I might do later tonight).

I know a 10 minute and a 1 minute montage are very different beasts, but hopefully you can look at this reel and make your own decisions about what does and does not work for it.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Arktic.