You are viewing an archive of the old fxhome.com forums. The community has since moved to hitfilm.com.

Should Halo 2 be XP Compatible?

HALO 2 - XP patch = would you buy it?

Yes18%[ 4 ]
No50%[ 11 ]
No. Half Life 2 is a better game.32%[ 7 ]

Total Votes : 22

Posted: Wed, 29th Aug 2007, 7:51pm

Post 1 of 39

JUIDAR

Force: 1525 | Joined: 10th Feb 2006 | Posts: 502

VisionLab User Windows User FXhome Movie Maker

Gold Member

I'm sure there are a lot of people out there that can't afford to chunk out the change for Windows Vista and were also dissapointed to here that Halo 2 was going to be for Vista only.

I hear that there is a group of programers out there working on an underground patch for it to work with XP but don't quote me on that. I also think it sucks that even if you do have it you have to pay a subscription which bites Halo 1 being free and all.

Anyway just complaining I'm sure if Microsoft hear's enough of it then for money making purposes they'll release a patch themselves.

Sorry meant to say would you buy it in the poll.

Last edited Wed, 29th Aug 2007, 8:29pm; edited 1 times in total.

Posted: Wed, 29th Aug 2007, 8:05pm

Post 2 of 39

Serpent

Force: 5426 | Joined: 26th Dec 2003 | Posts: 6515

CompositeLab Pro User EffectsLab Pro User FXhome Movie Maker FXpreset Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

Is it because of DirectX 10? I'm not much of a PC gamer, so I wouldn't know. But if it is, a bunch of people are working on DirectX 10 for XP (some are in Alpha/Beta stages) and it's rumored that Microsoft will release an official DirectX 10 for XP. I don't know that much about it though, so maybe someone else can chime in. But it's worth researching.
Posted: Wed, 29th Aug 2007, 8:36pm

Post 3 of 39

Hybrid-Halo

Force: 9315 | Joined: 7th Feb 2003 | Posts: 3367

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 3 Pro User MuzzlePlug User PowerPlug User FXpreset Maker Windows User MacOS User

SuperUser

I don't really care for Halo 2 on the PC. Allow me to explain why:

There has always been a fundamental difference in how first person shooters are designed dependent on their platform. Halo and Halo 2 are console shooters which simply neither compete nor work very well when played with a keyboard and mouse as neither the weapon balance or general flow of game play suit the control method.

Aside from this, the PC has always dominated the consoles in terms of exclusive FPS titles and even with multi-format titles assuming they're designed for the pc rather than shoddy console ports (I'm looking at you, Deus Ex 2).

If you really take yourself seriously as a PC gamer at all then you're looking at upgrading to Vista within the next year anyway at which point you could play Halo 2 to your hearts content. However, why anyone would pick Halo 2 over Left 4 Dead, Counterstrike, Half Life 2, Battlefield 2142, Stalker, Red Orchestra or Day of Defeat is beyond me.

..Though, plenty of other things are too. smile

-Hybrid.

p.s. I edited the thread topic so that it made some sense.

Last edited Wed, 29th Aug 2007, 9:30pm; edited 1 times in total.

Posted: Wed, 29th Aug 2007, 8:58pm

Post 4 of 39

JUIDAR

Force: 1525 | Joined: 10th Feb 2006 | Posts: 502

VisionLab User Windows User FXhome Movie Maker

Gold Member

I like Halo one it's like a major classic to me.

I can't stand using a controler for first person shooters I just can't get as accurate as a shot with a controler than a mouse.
Posted: Wed, 29th Aug 2007, 9:02pm

Post 5 of 39

JUIDAR

Force: 1525 | Joined: 10th Feb 2006 | Posts: 502

VisionLab User Windows User FXhome Movie Maker

Gold Member

Hybrid-Halo wrote:


p.s. I edited the thread topic so that it made some sense.
Why didn't it make sense. It was a statement not a question.
Posted: Wed, 29th Aug 2007, 9:02pm

Post 6 of 39

Kid

Force: 4177 | Joined: 1st Apr 2001 | Posts: 1876

EffectsLab Lite User VideoWrap User Windows User

Gold Member

I agree that halo isn't worth bothering with but I don't agree that gamers are looking towards upgrading. Thats what microsoft want you to think but the hardcore gamers are one lot who are against it. Benchmarks clearly show that vista is a huge resource hog and people want to get the best out of their machines. It can mean life or death in the game. Also there's the fact that the stupid driver signing makes getting optimised drivers a very slow process.

Plus none of the current batch of cards run dx10 games very well at all yet.

The main title that was going to push it, crysis is now going to work on either Vista or XP. The demos were all running in dx9 on xp too, mainly because its gonna run like a dog in dx10 on current generation hardware.

Without the support of the gamers or the games industry microsoft pretty much have to back down on this one.

Regardless of all this Halo will probably continue to only be available on Vista because its a selling point for Vista. Locking it to Vista isn't because dx10 is a requirement, its purely a promotional issue.
Posted: Wed, 29th Aug 2007, 9:27pm

Post 7 of 39

ssj john

Force: 563 | Joined: 4th Nov 2003 | Posts: 795

Windows User MacOS User

Member

Hybrid-Halo wrote:

I don't really care for Halo 2 on the PC. Allow me to explain why:

There has always been a fundamental difference in how first person shooters are designed dependent on their platform. Halo and Halo 2 are console shooters which simply neither compete nor work very well when played with a keyboard and mouse as neither the weapon balance or general flow of game play suit the control method.

Aside from this, the PC has always dominated the consoles in terms of exclusive FPS titles and even with multi-format titles assuming they're designed for the pc rather than shoddy console ports (I'm looking at you, Deus Ex 2).

If you really take yourself seriously as a PC gamer at all then you're looking at upgrading to Vista within the next year anyway at which point you could play Halo 2 to your hearts content. However, why anyone would pick Halo 2 over Left 4 Dead, Counterstrike, Half Life 2, Battlefield 2142, Stalker, Red Orchestra or Day of Defeat is beyond me.

-Hybrid.

p.s. I edited the thread topic so that it made some sense.
Your name is Hybrid-Halo....I always found that funny and Ironic. But I;m positive your name has nothing to do with halo the game or ever had anything to do with it.

Anywho, wow I really can't tell you how many times I've heard people say that on this forum. Every chance someone gets, they stab at halo, despite it's success, for some reason beyond me, people cannot cope with the fact that halo is a successful game. Why do people keep saying the same things about halo over and over again. Waste of your time if you ask me.

Who's to say that someone is picking halo 2 over any of those other games anyways, is there some kind of rule that retricts you to only playing one game. Maybe people are choosing to play halo 2 as well as half-life 2...
Posted: Wed, 29th Aug 2007, 9:48pm

Post 8 of 39

Hybrid-Halo

Force: 9315 | Joined: 7th Feb 2003 | Posts: 3367

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 3 Pro User MuzzlePlug User PowerPlug User FXpreset Maker Windows User MacOS User

SuperUser

Nothing restricts anyone, however... Even fans of the Halo franchise have come to agree that Halo 2 was in all, a disappointment regarding single player content which leaves its prime features as the multiplayer, which for reasons I have covered simply isn't very good, you can refer to its reviews if you disagree.

You will find that Halo's console success is not mirrored on the PC, which backs up every point I made. Granted, it's a success on the consoles though that's not the platform we are discussion. In any case, something's success is rarely any indication of quality. Michael Bay stands to be the most successful director in the past two decades. Go figure. smile

My comment is based upon the general view that when there is a wealth of better things surrounding you, it has to affect the choices you make. In this instance that would be not bothering with Halo 2 on PC. It's fine to think differently, though this is a poll where we are being asked to vote and state our reasonings.

And that's what I'm doing. There's no point in debating our differing opinions.

-Hybrid

p.s. Part of why I dislike Halo is probably because everyone thinks my name has something to do with it since the bloody game came out. Heh.
Posted: Wed, 29th Aug 2007, 10:03pm

Post 9 of 39

Frosty G

Force: 540 | Joined: 28th May 2005 | Posts: 640

EffectsLab Pro User Windows User

Gold Member

Hey now. The Rock is an awesome action movie.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jz3br1q5wIQ&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Edansjp3page%2Ecom%2Fboard2%2Fview%2Easp%3Fboardid%3D1%26id%3D3295%26start%3D0%26prev%3D3261%26next%3D3266

Pretty damn funny video if you like Halo or not.
Posted: Wed, 29th Aug 2007, 10:08pm

Post 10 of 39

ssj john

Force: 563 | Joined: 4th Nov 2003 | Posts: 795

Windows User MacOS User

Member

Rating: +1

I understand, and your entitled to your opinion. I also understand that the game is not fun for everyone, but with that said to alot of people it is. We all have different opinions like you said. So then, why do we have to agree that halo 2 was a dissapointment, sure some of us may agree because we have similar tastes but there is no law binding everyone to come to an agreeance. One mans trash is another mans treasure. I happen to not be so interested in half -life 2. Does that mean me and you have to come to some sort of agreement as to the quality of the game? No of course not, I have different tastes then you. I do realize that reviews also all say that it was a dissapointment. But agian, they are just people with opinions too. It just applies to everyone differently and when you say that I can't argue with your opinion and then tell me that I have to come to an agreeance that halo 2 was a dissapointment. Your basically telling me what my opinion has to be. Frankly thats a bit hypocritical.

Anyhow, that wasn't the main point of my post. I've heard your's and many others opinions on halo so many times, that I could write a paper on them. The fact of the matter is, everytime halo is mention, you all say the same things....almost exactly. It's just getting old. You see less and less people countering those arguments. Perhaps because those of us who like halo are getting tired of every topic about the game going sour because you haterzzz can't stand other people talking about a game that isn't perfect. We like halo, if you dont like hearing about it don't click on the topic.

I think its obvious that this thread is geared towards people who play halo and is asking them if they would like to see it on XP. If you don't like halo and don't play it. Then obviously nobodies asking you( and i don't mean that in a offensive way)I'm just saying.

I do realize that most of the time halo-fanatics scream about halo. But here's the great thing about forums, the topic you don't want to read you don't have to click on. It's an amazing thing I've come to learn.

As for my opinion on the actual thread at hand. I don't think halo needs to be ported to xp. Vista is going to become the standard for gaming and there really isn't a point too.
Posted: Wed, 29th Aug 2007, 10:17pm

Post 11 of 39

Pooky

Force: 4834 | Joined: 8th Jul 2003 | Posts: 5913

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User MacOS User FXhome Movie Maker

Gold Member

@ssj john

Agreed, and I think Halo is just a mediocre run-of-the-mill over-hyped shooter. razz

Here's what I think gets to us fans of more engaging and original shooters, aka single player shooter fans: Halo is overshadowing our favorite games. There are absolutely brilliant works of art like Half-Life 2 and Bioshock and whatnot, but darn Halo 3 with the very same exact gameplay from the last two games and some frankly sub-par graphics is being hyped by everyone as the killer app, super duper great shooter to end all shooters. And that just gets to us, because it is not (and that is not an opinion, it is fact: enjoying the game has nothing to do with it). razz

So yeah, I get how you could like Halo and have nothing against it, but it's just annoying that so many people seem to take it a step further and pretend that the actual good original shooters are inferior.
Posted: Wed, 29th Aug 2007, 10:58pm

Post 12 of 39

ssj john

Force: 563 | Joined: 4th Nov 2003 | Posts: 795

Windows User MacOS User

Member

The fact is that HALO fans are hyping and getting excited by HALO. If your not excited by halo, do you or should you, really care then? Really I don't believe in this whole overshadowing thing, especially on a personal level. If someone else thinks halo is the greatest game ever. w00t! good for them. That shouldn't effect the games that you are interested in, or your interests in other games. Let Halo fans be! This is basically the vibe you give off when you put down halo and glorify other games (whether the deserve to be glorified or not is not the point of this) Its like telling LOTR fans that they can't love and adore the LOTR trilogy because its not as good as the original star wars trilogy. We all have different TASTES! If there is big hype about halo, and you aren't interested in the game, then why are you worrying about the hype!! I don't understand! Let the people who are, worry about the hype and whether it lives up to it.

I mean really does halo, being a successful game, really effect you in any way when it comes to playing the games you love? If it does, please fill me in.

there isn't a big difference about halo fans and say....half life fans. ALthough I have heard there are people who like both...but thats rare. Really there both funs games, and just because you like one doesn't mean the other sucks.

Very rarely do I ever here people say that that other games are inferior to halo. Because thats sooooo subjective. Who said that a game has to have a whole bunch of revolutionary tools to be alot of fun? Maybe the reason why so many people like halo, is because its so simple compared to other shooters.
Posted: Wed, 29th Aug 2007, 11:31pm

Post 13 of 39

DigiSm89

Force: 815 | Joined: 2nd Jun 2002 | Posts: 1898

Windows User

Member

Pooky wrote:

So yeah, I get how you could like Halo and have nothing against it, but it's just annoying that so many people seem to take it a step further and pretend that the actual good original shooters are inferior.
Eh? I've not met a person who likes Halo and claims the other shooters are "inferior."

You Canadians are odd. razz


But anyways, this thread is about Halo. The original poster wrote about how he wished Halo 2 would come to XP. He never intended this thread to be an argument over which FPS was better. In fact, all he implied was that he liked Halo.

Now, Hybrid, why did you have to go and edit the poll to include HL2 if this thread is about Halo? Just because YOU like it and despise Halo?

It's like posting about how Macs are better than PCs whenever a topic about Windows comes up.
Posted: Wed, 29th Aug 2007, 11:48pm

Post 14 of 39

Hybrid-Halo

Force: 9315 | Joined: 7th Feb 2003 | Posts: 3367

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 3 Pro User MuzzlePlug User PowerPlug User FXpreset Maker Windows User MacOS User

SuperUser

mVPstar wrote:

Now, Hybrid, why did you have to go and edit the poll to include HL2 if this thread is about Halo? Just because YOU like it and despise Halo?

It's like posting about how Macs are better than PCs whenever a topic about Windows comes up.
You answered your own question smile Though I don't despise Halo at all. I just don't believe it to be able to hold it's own away from the Xbox Platform. And also because it's a sort of stock reaction which isn't exactly intended to be taken seriously...

Reviews for Halo 2 Vista wrote:

Games Master UK - 66 / 100
Pro-G -6 / 10
PC Gamer - 67 / 100
PC Zone UK - 60 / 100
Gamers Temple - 68 / 100
Whether or not you like it, Halo 2 is perceived as a poor game and as my initial posts state this is because the FPS market on the PC is simply more advanced and involved. This has nothing to do with whether or not you like to play the game, and everything to do with why I am voting No, Halo 2 doesn't need to come to XP.

Unfortunately, some of you have taken it upon yourselves to defend the franchise though it's not under attack. In terms of console shooters the Halo 2 death match is unrivalled, though why I mention that in a topic about the Vista version?

And like I have said before, I don't care to argue opinions and am quite happy to agree to disagree as being an avid gamer I understand that different types of gamers enjoy different experiences.

-Hybrid.
Posted: Thu, 30th Aug 2007, 12:00am

Post 15 of 39

DigiSm89

Force: 815 | Joined: 2nd Jun 2002 | Posts: 1898

Windows User

Member

Hybrid-Halo wrote:

You answered your own question smile Though I don't despise Halo at all. I just don't believe it to be able to hold it's own away from the Xbox Platform. And also because it's a sort of stock reaction which isn't exactly intended to be taken seriously...
Heh, I was actually referring to HL2.

I, too, find it annoying being told that "other people" don't like Halo. Why the heck do I care what other people like? And no, I don't take your Halo bashing seriously. It does nothing to alter my views about the game. Yes, I agree Halo 2 sucks. I also believe Halo 3 is nothing special other than a GFX upgrade. BUT, as I'm not a serious FPS gamer and I only play games to pass the time, Halo is good enough for me.

And, if your reaction isn't meant to be taken seriously...why post it? Seeking enjoyment in angry Halo fans, I see.


Can we just, for once, not post about "other products" in a thread that is intended to be focused solely on one product? sleep
Posted: Thu, 30th Aug 2007, 12:05am

Post 16 of 39

Kid

Force: 4177 | Joined: 1st Apr 2001 | Posts: 1876

EffectsLab Lite User VideoWrap User Windows User

Gold Member

Have any of these fans actually played it on the PC though? I doubt it.
Posted: Thu, 30th Aug 2007, 12:08am

Post 17 of 39

DigiSm89

Force: 815 | Joined: 2nd Jun 2002 | Posts: 1898

Windows User

Member

I'm no fan, but I have Halo PC.

It's nice for something short and sweet, but it can get boring really quickly. And online multiplayer is so bad. Still much nicer on the XBOX.
Posted: Thu, 30th Aug 2007, 12:08am

Post 18 of 39

ssj john

Force: 563 | Joined: 4th Nov 2003 | Posts: 795

Windows User MacOS User

Member

Also, if your "bashing" isn't meant to be takin seriously, why then do you react when someone argues that opinion. Couldn't you just say, Just kidding. No because you do mean what you say.

Just FYI I too, voted no. For some of the same reasons Hybrid-Halo said. Halo 2 isn't a competitor on the PC. But I beleive thats mostly because halo was made for a pattle and not for a mouse. If it were MADE for the PC. Who knows?

But then agian someone out there could pick up halo vista and think its the best game in the world. And yet that's their opinion and their opinion is valid.
Posted: Thu, 30th Aug 2007, 12:13am

Post 19 of 39

Hybrid-Halo

Force: 9315 | Joined: 7th Feb 2003 | Posts: 3367

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 3 Pro User MuzzlePlug User PowerPlug User FXpreset Maker Windows User MacOS User

SuperUser

mVPstar wrote:

I'm no fan, but I have Halo PC.

It's nice for something short and sweet, but it can get boring really quickly. And online multiplayer is so bad. Still much nicer on the XBOX.
I dunno, I think Halo on Xbox can be made a much better multiplayer game because it can be part of a 'console experience' which is the one aspect of gaming that the PC really lacks. Getting a load of mates around a console and a tv can make any game a real blast.

That, and Xbox Live is a really great system for online games as everyone talks and things are slightly more personal as you've got your gamertag. I had a lot of fun on the Halo games on consoles with a few beers, but have had totally different experiences on the PC.

I think I'm being quite reasonable in my points on here so far and I don't want to come off as though I am stating facts which you should all agree with, read what I've said - I totally accept that different people have different opinions, merely that the intellectual majority agrees with my own.

That some idiot through in-experience believes Halo 2 to be the best game doesn't matter, his opinion is valid and he's every right to state it... But he's still an idiot. smile

-Hybrid.
Posted: Thu, 30th Aug 2007, 12:28am

Post 20 of 39

DigiSm89

Force: 815 | Joined: 2nd Jun 2002 | Posts: 1898

Windows User

Member

In other FPS for online play, are you allowed to switch teams in the middle of a game?

It's so irritating playing an online game in which everyone on your team switches to the winning team, totally stacking it up so it's like 12 versus 3.

At least in Live, it's more restricted.

Hybrid-Halo wrote:

I totally accept that different people have different opinions, merely that the intellectual majority agrees with my own.
Which is yet another opinion. I always knew you to be an opinionated person Halo. razz
Posted: Thu, 30th Aug 2007, 12:33am

Post 21 of 39

ssj john

Force: 563 | Joined: 4th Nov 2003 | Posts: 795

Windows User MacOS User

Member

Hybrid-Halo wrote:


That some idiot through in-experience believes Halo 2 to be the best game doesn't matter, his opinion is valid and he's every right to state it... But he's still an idiot. smile

-Hybrid.
That commment right there, though probly meant to be humerous, just contradicts everything you've been claiming in the last 4 posts or so. First off, if you think his opinion makes him an idiot, then you don't think his opinion is valid. Secondly, who says he likes Halo 2 because of in-experience. This is where you are completely missing the target. You're so far off your hitting people to your immediate left. Just because someone plays HL2 and halo 2 doesnt mean they are automatically going to like HL2 better. Sorry but it doesn't, but it may be more likely. And lets face it, this intellectual majority your talking about who's to say that there tastes are valid to everyone!? I have seen movies that I absolutely love, but critics hated. Because thats a total matter of taste!
Posted: Thu, 30th Aug 2007, 12:35am

Post 22 of 39

Hybrid-Halo

Force: 9315 | Joined: 7th Feb 2003 | Posts: 3367

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 3 Pro User MuzzlePlug User PowerPlug User FXpreset Maker Windows User MacOS User

SuperUser

mVPstar wrote:

In other FPS for online play, are you allowed to switch teams in the middle of a game?

It's so irritating playing an online game in which everyone on your team switches to the winning team, totally stacking it up so it's like 12 versus 3.
Sheesh, that's not normal. There's usually an enforced team balance which won't allow team changes if the teams are equal to prevent that exact kind of thing from happening. Plus, if you're stuck on one side you'll fight harder for victory.

Which is yet another opinion. I always knew you to be an opinionated person Halo. razz
touché. Though everything is an opinion to some degree, nothing is concrete if you argue that particular semantic.

ssj john wrote:


That commment right there, though probly meant to be humerous
probably!

-Hybrid.
Posted: Thu, 30th Aug 2007, 12:38am

Post 23 of 39

DigiSm89

Force: 815 | Joined: 2nd Jun 2002 | Posts: 1898

Windows User

Member

Hybrid-Halo wrote:

Sheesh, that's not normal. There's usually an enforced team balance which won't allow team changes if the teams are equal to prevent that exact kind of thing from happening. Plus, if you're stuck on one side you'll fight harder for victory.
It would be cooler that in such an event, if you're the one alone, you get extra damage as well as more lives.
Posted: Thu, 30th Aug 2007, 12:43am

Post 24 of 39

Hybrid-Halo

Force: 9315 | Joined: 7th Feb 2003 | Posts: 3367

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 3 Pro User MuzzlePlug User PowerPlug User FXpreset Maker Windows User MacOS User

SuperUser

mVPstar wrote:

Hybrid-Halo wrote:

Sheesh, that's not normal. There's usually an enforced team balance which won't allow team changes if the teams are equal to prevent that exact kind of thing from happening. Plus, if you're stuck on one side you'll fight harder for victory.
It would be cooler that in such an event, if you're the one alone, you get extra damage as well as more lives.
There are things like that as game modes in a few other games, a 'Master Chief' mode would be cool, akin to the predator mode in Aliens vs Predator or Jedi Master mode in Jedi Knight : Outcast. Where one player is a powerful character who can slay everyone else relatively easily and everyone else has to kill them, with whoever kills them taking their place until they are killed and so on.

-Hybrid.
Posted: Thu, 30th Aug 2007, 1:15am

Post 25 of 39

ssj john

Force: 563 | Joined: 4th Nov 2003 | Posts: 795

Windows User MacOS User

Member

yeah they have that in halo...its called jauggernaut.
Posted: Thu, 30th Aug 2007, 2:29am

Post 26 of 39

JUIDAR

Force: 1525 | Joined: 10th Feb 2006 | Posts: 502

VisionLab User Windows User FXhome Movie Maker

Gold Member

I like Halo on PC probably because I've never played it on XBOX I don't own an XBOX but I did play Goldeneye on the Nintendo 64 and it took me forever to aim the gun at my target using the control stick. It just always seemed faster and easier to use the mouse but then again that's different with everybody my best friend is just the opposite.

The other thing I like most about Halo 1 is that the online play is free and it's so easy to just jump into a game and out. I'm a bit behind on the whole gaming thing I just heard Halo 3 had come out for xbox and I don't know anything about it other than some cinema scene trailors but I haven't actually seen what the gameplay looks like.

If Halo 2 is nothing more than an upgrade for Halo 1 though I would like to see it available for XP owners only I'm not sure I would get it if I had to pay a subscription to play it. My WOW subscription is enough and as unoften as I play that anymore I'm thinking about getting rid of it.

Oh and a comment made earlier I will say yes I like Halo because it's so simple.

lol

Not a lot of buttons to remember.....
Posted: Thu, 30th Aug 2007, 2:46am

Post 27 of 39

ops101ex

Force: 250 | Joined: 16th Nov 2002 | Posts: 209

Gold Member

Forget Vista, I demand Halo 2 for Mac!


Well, not really. But I am glad that the original one was ported to Mac, because if not for that, I probably would never have played it. Back then I played no video games at all, but one day when I was bored I decided to download the demo, and soon after became a fan. Now I have an Xbox and play Halo 2 on Live occasionally.

As for everyone's opinions on if it's a good game or not, I suppose that it partly depends on how you play. I just play for fun when I have free time. You could argue that I have no taste in games, but all that really matters to me is that it's fun and easier than booting into Windows to play Battlefield 2142, the only other game I own.
Posted: Thu, 30th Aug 2007, 3:39am

Post 28 of 39

aenigma

Force: 480 | Joined: 5th May 2004 | Posts: 416

EffectsLab Lite User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

"Released the third week of June 2007, a program that enables Halo 2 to run on Windows XP was released by user abcba on the FileFront forum. The program consists entirely of legal code that implements any missing function Halo 2 needs to run on Windows XP. Using this program, the single player section of Halo 2 is playable on Windows XP."

I still won't buy it for PC. first they take 3 years to port it and then they say it's going to be Vista only. whatever.
Posted: Thu, 30th Aug 2007, 5:48am

Post 29 of 39

A Pickle

Force: 1235 | Joined: 7th Sep 2004 | Posts: 1280

EffectsLab Lite User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

The fact that Halo 2 has been artificially tethered to a platform is terrible. That is as grave misconduct as is Apple's choice to make Mac OS X restricted only to the Mac platform. There's no technical reason prohibiting it, only a political one.

That's pretty gay.

Incidentally, you forgot the option, "Yes, but Half-Life 2 is still a better game." biggrin
Posted: Thu, 30th Aug 2007, 6:43am

Post 30 of 39

SilverDragon7

Force: 2265 | Joined: 29th Jun 2006 | Posts: 1990

VisionLab User VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Now, without reading the entire thread, I'm gonna say this... Why would you want to get Halo 2 now that it has come out on Vista? It was months after it came out on Xbox, which means you probably played it on an Xbox, right? You probably own an Xbox inorder to have played Halo 2 enough that it convinced you to want to buy it for a PC, right?

All I'm gonna say is if you don't have an Xbox, it would probably be cheaper to buy a regular one of ebay and then buy a copy of Halo 2.
Posted: Thu, 30th Aug 2007, 1:52pm

Post 31 of 39

FreshMentos

Force: 1667 | Joined: 10th Jun 2006 | Posts: 1141

VisionLab User MacOS User

Gold Member

At this point in time, why would you even care if Halo 2 was compatible with XP? As Halo 3 is coming out for 360 in less than a month. Although I loved Halo 1 and 2, 3 looks to be a major improvement over both of them.
Posted: Thu, 30th Aug 2007, 2:16pm

Post 32 of 39

Joshua Davies

Force: 25400 | Joined: 21st Mar 2001 | Posts: 3029

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 5 Pro User MuzzlePlug User PowerPlug User PhotoKey 3 Plug-in User FXpreset Maker Windows User MacOS User

FXhome Team Member

ops101ex wrote:

But I am glad that the original one was ported to Mac
I'm not that glad that it was ported from the Mac to Windows and Xbox then another team ported it back to the Mac in a shoddy way. Halo was a Mac game until M$ got its hands on it and watered it down. pfft...

Also someone early called Bioshock a work of art in the same sentence as Half Life 2. Bioshock is on a similar level to Halo if you ask me, over hyped to a massive degree and not a patch on the greatness which is HL2. The demo might have had pretty good graphics and sound but the game play was entirely average.

Halo 3 also looks worryingly average. Looking forward to Left 4 Dead, hope that really is a great as it looks.

Kid:
Although many Crysis demos have been on DX9 machines some been on DX10 and they have looked significantly better (although I understand they used some very specific hardware and drivers best suited to the game).

I'm not saying that Vista isn't pretty poor at the moment, I know from experience that many of my games are visibly slower, but once they get it right it should be pretty impressive.
Posted: Thu, 30th Aug 2007, 2:31pm

Post 33 of 39

ops101ex

Force: 250 | Joined: 16th Nov 2002 | Posts: 209

Gold Member

schwar wrote:

I'm not that glad that it was ported from the Mac to Windows and Xbox then another team ported it back to the Mac in a shoddy way. Halo was a Mac game until M$ got its hands on it and watered it down. pfft...
Yeah I know the sad story... (although really, to what degree did MS water it down? By giving them too little time to finish it?) but back then I was busy playing Nanosaur and Bugdom.
Posted: Thu, 30th Aug 2007, 3:10pm

Post 34 of 39

Joshua Davies

Force: 25400 | Joined: 21st Mar 2001 | Posts: 3029

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 5 Pro User MuzzlePlug User PowerPlug User PhotoKey 3 Plug-in User FXpreset Maker Windows User MacOS User

FXhome Team Member

Halo was going to be a persistent online war zone with moving frontlines much like a better version of planetside... They changed it quite a bit.
Posted: Thu, 30th Aug 2007, 3:15pm

Post 35 of 39

szczepanski

Force: 346 | Joined: 10th Aug 2007 | Posts: 227

Windows User

Member

I think that it was good that they put Halo onto the Mac, because then i could play it at school. What would i do without playing Halo in class? smile
Posted: Fri, 31st Aug 2007, 2:56am

Post 36 of 39

Hybrid-Halo

Force: 9315 | Joined: 7th Feb 2003 | Posts: 3367

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 3 Pro User MuzzlePlug User PowerPlug User FXpreset Maker Windows User MacOS User

SuperUser

szczepanski wrote:

I think that it was good that they put Halo onto the Mac, because then i could play it at school. What would i do without playing Halo in class? smile
The answer would be play the only other game on the Mac... Warcraft! biggrin
Posted: Fri, 31st Aug 2007, 3:31am

Post 37 of 39

szczepanski

Force: 346 | Joined: 10th Aug 2007 | Posts: 227

Windows User

Member

Hmmm i don't really like warcraft for some reason, i remember i used to play it when i was younger, but it never really entertained me. I sappose i'm one those "1st person shooter" type person. Heh that's just me eh?
Posted: Fri, 31st Aug 2007, 4:47am

Post 38 of 39

Gnome326

Force: 10 | Joined: 21st Mar 2005 | Posts: 436

Windows User

Member

but darn Halo 3 with the very same exact gameplay from the last two games and some frankly sub-par graphics is being hyped by everyone as the killer app, super duper great shooter to end all shooters.
Thank you... I'm not the only one who gets it. THe only reason why I have it on pre-order is cuz I'm hoping maybe something that attracted my attention about the first will jump out at me in the 3rd, though I'm not entirely sure. All the content I've seen has not been too promising but we shall see.

But I do have a pre-order on limited addition which is already filled up so there's no way I'm dropping that order. Heheh.
Posted: Sat, 1st Sep 2007, 7:19am

Post 39 of 39

ssj john

Force: 563 | Joined: 4th Nov 2003 | Posts: 795

Windows User MacOS User

Member

Well as for halo 3 being the same as the first two, I just got done reading about forge...I dunno if I've seen that in a FPS before, but even if there is one, it definately sets halo 3 apart from the first two. I'm undecided whether I like it yet or not. And I hope you can turn off being able to toggle between master chief and a monitor...

For those of you wondering what forge is. Well basically its a map editor. You can place vehicles where you want them and spawn points and such. But its a in-game map editor, meaning you become a monitor and you fly around the level and edit it, during the game. People can shoot at you and kill you. It's weird, and seems kinda unbalanced for a game that prides itself on balance. I dunno we'll see.

Besides the fact that this game has saved films, 4 player online co-op, filesharing, a bunch of new game modes, and forge and a number of new vehicles, new weapons, new grenades, and new equipment. You could say its exactly the same as the first two... Really though, halo 2 wasn't as similar to halo 1 as people claim. If you don't believe me, go back and play halo 2 for a bit then play halo 1. Its almost a different game. Give halo 3 more credit, I think it will still have that "halo" feel but different. I can't say better, but different, and I like different.