You are viewing an archive of the old fxhome.com forums. The community has since moved to hitfilm.com.

"PEDRO" -Please tell what you think?

Are you interested?

Yes, I AM!21%[ 3 ]
No, not really79%[ 11 ]

Total Votes : 14

Posted: Thu, 6th Sep 2007, 4:48pm

Post 1 of 32

Hugo3

Force: 1155 | Joined: 8th Jan 2007 | Posts: 39

VisionLab User Windows User

Gold Member

"PEDRO" is a short fake trailer in grindhouse style.It tells the story of a boy who goes crazy and starts killing his classmates in different ways.Teachers are telling the students that these murders are just accident because this private school doesn't want to lose its №1 reputation while Pedro continues to kill.Students decide to fight back on their own...

I'll be shooting this project in a week.
Here's a short test I've made:
http://video.mail.ru/mail/hugoerikssen/17/36.html
I really want to do it in a B-movie style.
Please comment!
Posted: Fri, 7th Sep 2007, 12:03am

Post 2 of 32

Atom

Force: 4300 | Joined: 9th May 2004 | Posts: 7014

EffectsLab Lite User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Hugo3 wrote:

"PEDRO" is a short fake trailer in grindhouse style.It tells the story of a boy who goes crazy and starts killing his classmates in different ways.Teachers are telling the students that these murders are just accident because this private school doesn't want to lose its №1 reputation while Pedro continues to kill.Students decide to fight back on their own...

I'll be shooting this project in a week.
Here's a short test I've made:
http://video.mail.ru/mail/hugoerikssen/17/36.html
I really want to do it in a B-movie style.
Please comment!
Frankly, I think it's an entirely inappropriate movie/trailer choice, and judging by the test you made coupled with your premise, I seriously want to recommend counseling. I'm not trying to be mean or anything, but things of that nature and the theme of "school shooting", especially when it lacks meaning almost completely and isn't a memorial-ish-for-the-victims story- never works.

I'm sorry, but I'm against this completely.
Posted: Fri, 7th Sep 2007, 3:08am

Post 3 of 32

Evman

Force: 4382 | Joined: 25th Jan 2004 | Posts: 3609

VisionLab User VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

While mindless B-Movie violence is ridiculously fun and all - I have to agree 100% with Atom and say that a school shooting situation is definitely not a way that I would go or condone.

Now I'm off to make my crazy B-Movie zombie film set in the midst of 9-11! It's gonna be Sick!

Seriously, reconsider.
Posted: Fri, 7th Sep 2007, 5:17am

Post 4 of 32

Dancamfx

Force: 2558 | Joined: 7th Sep 2006 | Posts: 873

VisionLab User FXpreset Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

I too have to agree with the two posts above. Schools and Shooting dont mix!
Posted: Fri, 7th Sep 2007, 7:19am

Post 5 of 32

BlueSmudge

Force: 808 | Joined: 30th Dec 2004 | Posts: 401

CompositeLab Pro User Windows User MacOS User FXhome Movie Maker

Gold Member

I would be all for it if it wasn't in a school. Takes away from what makes the grindhouse style so great. I could see maybe a small town not wanting to lose tourism, although thats overdone. But something like that.

That said, if you change location it should be good. Although the headshot needs work. Good luck.
Posted: Fri, 7th Sep 2007, 12:48pm

Post 6 of 32

Hugo3

Force: 1155 | Joined: 8th Jan 2007 | Posts: 39

VisionLab User Windows User

Gold Member

Thanks for all comments!
I really appreciate that you paid your attention to this topic.Now there's no way I'm going to forfeit with it so I'll try to make the best I can.Although I'm shooting at school I'll get it as bloody as I can. Anyway, if it would suck it will be even more grindhouse like eek. And if you can, please comment what can be improved in the test.
Thanks again
Posted: Fri, 7th Sep 2007, 1:39pm

Post 7 of 32

mercianfilm

Force: 210 | Joined: 31st Dec 2006 | Posts: 687

Windows User

Member

Hugo3 wrote:

Although I'm shooting at school I'll get it as bloody as I can.
Hang on- didn't you listen to the previous comments? Blood and gore is all good but it has to be used minimally an in the right context- with the current massacre's at schools in the world at the moment it would be extremely unwise and downright selfish to make a movie about the un necessary deaths of students- especially shootings!

Whilst making a film about taboo's can work sometimes ( The Queen, world trade centre etc) the context and genre of this film is wrong i feel- whilst you may be eager to do this movie i reckon most of, if not all of Fxhome seriously advise against you making it in that particular setting- maybe consider the otehr suggestions, such as a remote town, or an office or something- hey you could even go with a nationwide thing were it's the government taking away people!
Posted: Fri, 7th Sep 2007, 2:13pm

Post 8 of 32

ops101ex

Force: 250 | Joined: 16th Nov 2002 | Posts: 209

Gold Member

Perhaps in Russia school violence is not a sensitive issue but it certainly is here in the United States and Canada, and that's why we're not gonna like or support your idea. As everyone else is saying, just change your setting and characters -not students in a school- then get away with all the blood and gore you want.
Posted: Fri, 7th Sep 2007, 10:47pm

Post 9 of 32

King of Blades

Force: 1700 | Joined: 29th May 2006 | Posts: 794

EffectsLab Pro User Windows User

Gold Member

I see that you have not realized the reality of school shootings today. There was recently a school shooting in the U.S., killing more than a dozen students. Those students lost their lives because some deranged psychopath wanted to prove a point to people.

And perhaps you have not heard about the Columbine Massacre, a grand total of 13 people (along with the two boys who committed those crimes) were shot.

Forgive me if this sounds quite harsh, but you are promoting violence and death!

Sure, you may not live in the United States or any of her neighbors, but I can tell you right now that it will not go down to well with people who watch it on YouTube, if you plan on releasing it on YouTube.

Please, change your idea, or cancel the project altogether! I have had a friend turn a gun onto himself, and I don't want to lose anymore because of some immature filmmaker decided "it would be cool to have blood and gore and guns and death" in his film!
Posted: Fri, 7th Sep 2007, 11:15pm

Post 10 of 32

sfbmovieco

Force: 2354 | Joined: 19th Mar 2002 | Posts: 1552

VideoWrap User PhotoKey 2 User Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

So guns, gore and death are okay in the streets of our cities but not in schools?
Posted: Fri, 7th Sep 2007, 11:54pm

Post 11 of 32

Frosty G

Force: 540 | Joined: 28th May 2005 | Posts: 640

EffectsLab Pro User Windows User

Gold Member

sfbmovieco wrote:

So guns, gore and death are okay in the streets of our cities but not in schools?
Are you saying that just to pick a fight? Yes there is nothing good to having guns and death anywhere. But school shootings is a particular softspot with the public for obvious reasons. Nobody likes when people die, but people hate it even more when their children die or students in general die.
Posted: Fri, 7th Sep 2007, 11:56pm

Post 12 of 32

doppelganger

Force: 134 | Joined: 16th May 2006 | Posts: 1157

MacOS User

Member

sfbmovieco wrote:

So guns, gore and death are okay in the streets of our cities but not in schools?
Thats the vibe I'm gettin. I think the only time blood and gore are needed are the moment that would actually have blood and gore in them. If you shoot someone it the head there head does not explode and ten gallons of blood spew from the top, it just doesnt work that way.

My view on blood and gore- only use it when you have to.

Other wise it makes you look like a kid whose trying to be cool by overloading blood into a test/movie/etc.
Posted: Sat, 8th Sep 2007, 2:33am

Post 13 of 32

sfbmovieco

Force: 2354 | Joined: 19th Mar 2002 | Posts: 1552

VideoWrap User PhotoKey 2 User Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

Rating: +1

No I'm not picking a fight. I just do not agree with censorship in any form. You shouldn't have people saying, "You can do gore and death and blood here, here, here and here, but not there...Oh no, not there."

You have many filmmakers that are all sorts of ages who deal in selling death and mutilation and gore in their films. Rarely do they answer for the fact their films are so absurdly violent.

The issue to me is the filmmakers age. I personally do not think a 13 year old can deal with the issues appropriately no matter if it's done in an Elephant style of film or in a Grindhouse style.

Hugo, for the sake of your life I sure hope that you deal with this in the best way possible. If this film is in any way based on feelings you may have, I urge you to try and find some help in these matters.
Posted: Sat, 8th Sep 2007, 3:56am

Post 14 of 32

Frosty G

Force: 540 | Joined: 28th May 2005 | Posts: 640

EffectsLab Pro User Windows User

Gold Member

Well while I may agree with you that it is indeed rather mad when you step back and look at it, that is society and the way it works. Just like you can't say bomb on a plane or have a movie throwing a 757 into a building. As stupid as it may seem, its the way the world works. There will always be sensitivity to any similarities between entertainment and tragic real life events.
Posted: Sat, 8th Sep 2007, 6:11am

Post 15 of 32

ben3308

Force: 5210 | Joined: 24th May 2004 | Posts: 6433

VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

It's not at all hard to connect the dots on this one, sfb. It's not selective censorship, it's the sensitivity to the subject and how delicately it can affect people.

Some kid watches a movie with crazy violence on the streets, it seems like a movie. But let's say the same kid watches a movie based in school- something he goes to and can relate to- then the realism for that kid is now on a completely different level.

The same thing with American censoring nudity as opposed to violence: we're more receptive to nudity, so we censor it more than violence, which we have a rather dulled palate for.
Posted: Sat, 8th Sep 2007, 6:40am

Post 16 of 32

King of Blades

Force: 1700 | Joined: 29th May 2006 | Posts: 794

EffectsLab Pro User Windows User

Gold Member

ben3308 wrote:

The same thing with American censoring nudity as opposed to violence: we're more receptive to nudity, so we censor it more than violence, which we have a rather dulled palate for.
I can understand censoring nudity, but the fact that every station bleeps out profanity is a bit stupid. Their intent is to "shield the little kid's ears", then they failed miserably as the "bleep" tends to put more focus on the word itself instead of editing it out...[/quote]

Anyway, let's not get off topic. wink

sfbmovieco wrote:

You shouldn't have people saying, "You can do gore and death and blood here, here, here and here, but not there...Oh no, not there."
Now tell me; is it fine to have a bloody and savage gun fight in the streets, and is it still okay to have one in a school? A church? A daycare center? Definitely doesn't seem like it to me, but then again, people have different personalities and opinions...

I'd really rather not ignite an ongoing flame war, and let's not get hung up on what is or isn't right here... wink
Posted: Sat, 8th Sep 2007, 6:42am

Post 17 of 32

sfbmovieco

Force: 2354 | Joined: 19th Mar 2002 | Posts: 1552

VideoWrap User PhotoKey 2 User Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

Kids (teens in this case) can't relate to the streets?

Tell inner city kids living in Philadelphia, New York, L.A. and Houston that violence in the streets seems 'just like a movie.'

Your first statement makes no sense. Sensitivity and delicate topics are why there are censorship in the first place.

You're argument against a movie involving a school shooting, grindhouse style or not, is the same argument many groups use against video games which has proven to be just not true. In your argument, movies like The Basketball Diaries, Elephant and Dangerous Minds and any other movies where violence occurs in school are dangerous as they may influence young people.

I agree it isn't really appropriate to make a grindhouse style film set in a school. However, when you set a precedent for what is okay and what is not okay to make a movie about, you are in a dangerous area.

If you don't want to support the film, don't watch it. If you don't want your kids to be influenced by it, don't let them watch it. Although an art film, this is still a business and your consumer dollars can do your talking for you.

EDIT: King, so then where does it stop? Who are we going to let tell us where and when it's okay to have guns in a film? Shouldn't that be the filmmakers right? Again, streets are okay, but nowhere else? Just doesn't make sense.

EDIT2: I added The Basketball Diaries up there after doing some research. It was edited heavily to garner an R rating, was banned in South Korea and took heat 4 years after the film was made for having a Columbine style dream sequence of a school shooting...
Posted: Sat, 8th Sep 2007, 6:50am

Post 18 of 32

ben3308

Force: 5210 | Joined: 24th May 2004 | Posts: 6433

VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

A teenage FXHomer, any teenager FXHomer (myself included), does not have tact enough to pull off anything even close to the vein of Elephant or Dangerous Minds.

In fact, if we tried, it would probably turn out to be a horribly sadistic-looking movie about a school shooting.

See what I'm saying here? These types of FXHome users, specifically, are being given such advice as to avoid issues. Were I talking to someone like Stephen Soderbergh about the movie idea, it'd be different.

And as for your 'streets of Philly' argument: the point is, the majority of the population in the United States teen demographic goes to school. It's a highly-relatable thing. "Life on the streets", not so much. For most people, the glamorization of violence on the streets is a far-from-home, movie-like idea being shown. Compare that to such violence being shown at a school.

Then the violence is much more magnitude.

I'm not saying you can't do a school shooting movie at all, but unless you seriously, seriously know what you're doing with it- which I doubt many FXHomers do- then it is an idea I'd strongly advocate be censored.

EDIT: Oh, you mentioned the Basketball Diaries! I was actually wondering if you were gonna do that, I was about to point that out. I think censoring parts of that movie in different places is acceptable, given the dream sequence.

Abotu censorship: sometimes there's a need for it. The problem is, it would be great if we could rid ourselves of it completely, but (sort of like the Matrix/RealWorld scenario) most of us lack the skill to be emotionally frank about different things like sex, violence, and crime. We're just too sheltered of a race to be that way.
Posted: Sat, 8th Sep 2007, 7:08am

Post 19 of 32

King of Blades

Force: 1700 | Joined: 29th May 2006 | Posts: 794

EffectsLab Pro User Windows User

Gold Member

sfbmovieco wrote:

EDIT: King, so then where does it stop? Who are we going to let tell us where and when it's okay to have guns in a film? Shouldn't that be the filmmakers right? Again, streets are okay, but nowhere else? Just doesn't make sense.
*sigh*

sfb, That isn't my point. I never stated that it isn't okay to have guns in a film.

If you refuse to see the light of what I, along with many other people, are trying to say, then I cannot force you to believe in my beliefs/opinions through a forum post...
Posted: Sat, 8th Sep 2007, 7:18am

Post 20 of 32

sfbmovieco

Force: 2354 | Joined: 19th Mar 2002 | Posts: 1552

VideoWrap User PhotoKey 2 User Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

Hehe, see the light? Then I guess I have to ask, what is your point?

You asked if it was okay to have guns on the streets and you went on to name other places. I responded with, well I say yes to all of the above, why shouldn't it be ok?

It sounds like you aren't saying it's not okay to have guns in a film, but you are saying and suggesting where they should appear in a films location. I disagree entirely, that's my point.
Posted: Sat, 8th Sep 2007, 7:55am

Post 21 of 32

ben3308

Force: 5210 | Joined: 24th May 2004 | Posts: 6433

VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Fun fact while we're trying not to argue:

People on the chat the other day apparently though sfb was black.
Posted: Sat, 8th Sep 2007, 8:06am

Post 22 of 32

sfbmovieco

Force: 2354 | Joined: 19th Mar 2002 | Posts: 1552

VideoWrap User PhotoKey 2 User Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

Couldn't of been any long time members here. I've had movies in the cinema with me in them and done picture tests before as well.
Posted: Sat, 8th Sep 2007, 8:09am

Post 23 of 32

ben3308

Force: 5210 | Joined: 24th May 2004 | Posts: 6433

VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

scezpanski, Garrison, Hendo, and a few others.
Posted: Sat, 8th Sep 2007, 3:55pm

Post 24 of 32

Fill

Force: 1257 | Joined: 1st Jul 2005 | Posts: 1652

CompositeLab Lite User EffectsLab Lite User Windows User

Gold Member

First off, I am completely opposed to this idea. Unless you're doing some type of public service announcement talking about school shootings, you need to back the hell up. That stuff is real. Sure, gun shootings on the streets, and gangsters killing eachother is real, but it's almost worshiped by our culture.

Something like a school shooting is not water you want to dip your feet into. Making some mindless grindhouse movie about these kids shooting each other up in school, well... you need help.

I refuse to ever watch or even glance at the topic about your movie if it ever gets finished.

As for censorship, it's a mixed bag. I mean, I hear the f-word at school tons of times, but for some reason, in movies like Superbad, I was annoyed by the over use of it(It may have been the context of it, too serious of a tone?). I don't know... I think it depends on the situation. Don't quote me. wink
Posted: Sat, 8th Sep 2007, 4:05pm

Post 25 of 32

Evman

Force: 4382 | Joined: 25th Jan 2004 | Posts: 3609

VisionLab User VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

I just don't think its a good idea and it definitely isn't something I would chose to do. He can go right ahead and do it, but he's gonna have to live with any consequences he may face from the audience that ultimately sees it...
Posted: Sat, 8th Sep 2007, 4:58pm

Post 26 of 32

King of Blades

Force: 1700 | Joined: 29th May 2006 | Posts: 794

EffectsLab Pro User Windows User

Gold Member

Rating: -1

sfbmovieco wrote:

Hehe, see the light? Then I guess I have to ask, what is your point?

You asked if it was okay to have guns on the streets and you went on to name other places. I responded with, well I say yes to all of the above, why shouldn't it be ok?

It sounds like you aren't saying it's not okay to have guns in a film, but you are saying and suggesting where they should appear in a films location. I disagree entirely, that's my point.
Alright, it really seems as if we're in one hell of a deadlock here. I say, "guns in school are bad". You say, "guns in school are good".

No amount of backing anything up or any visual evidence will sway your belief, it seems.

But if you would like to know what my point is, then I'll just go right out and say it; I don't think gunfights in schools are particularly a good idea for a film.

'Nuff said.
Posted: Sat, 8th Sep 2007, 5:35pm

Post 27 of 32

sfbmovieco

Force: 2354 | Joined: 19th Mar 2002 | Posts: 1552

VideoWrap User PhotoKey 2 User Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

Whoa, whoa king. Please do not put words in my mouth. I never said guns in school are good. I simply said it's no ones place to tell a filmmaker where he can put guns in a movie. If you let a filmmaker have guns in the street, then you can't go, its okay here and here but not there. You are right, you're not going to change my mind, but don't slander me to save face please.
Posted: Sat, 8th Sep 2007, 6:23pm

Post 28 of 32

King of Blades

Force: 1700 | Joined: 29th May 2006 | Posts: 794

EffectsLab Pro User Windows User

Gold Member

sfbmovieco wrote:

Whoa, whoa king. Please do not put words in my mouth. I never said guns in school are good. I simply said it's no ones place to tell a filmmaker where he can put guns in a movie. If you let a filmmaker have guns in the street, then you can't go, its okay here and here but not there. You are right, you're not going to change my mind, but don't slander me to save face please.
Well, I appologize.

But I am not "letting" a filmmaker have guns in specified places. As I've said, I have lost a friend who turned a gun onto himself.

I do not want to lose anymore who have been, forgive the expression, "inspired", by Hugo3's movie, which is promoting the death of many students, students who are the future generation of our world!

I really hate repeating myself over and over, but I'll say it again; the deaths of recent school shootings should really send out a message saying "GUNS IN SCHOOL ARE BAD". Virginia Tech. Columbine. Santana. The Amish school. There have been almost 3 dozen disasters at schools, due to some idiots bringing guns to school, or bombs.

And I am *not* saying that filmmakers shouldn't have guns in certain places. I *am* saying that I don't think it's the best idea to base a movie on such a particular subject.
Posted: Sat, 8th Sep 2007, 7:04pm

Post 29 of 32

Rawree

Force: 3250 | Joined: 27th Jun 2002 | Posts: 1925

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

kingofbladeslv wrote:

sfbmovieco wrote:

Whoa, whoa king. Please do not put words in my mouth. I never said guns in school are good. I simply said it's no ones place to tell a filmmaker where he can put guns in a movie. If you let a filmmaker have guns in the street, then you can't go, its okay here and here but not there. You are right, you're not going to change my mind, but don't slander me to save face please.
Well, I appologize.

But I am not "letting" a filmmaker have guns in specified places. As I've said, I have lost a friend who turned a gun onto himself.

I do not want to lose anymore who have been, forgive the expression, "inspired", by Hugo3's movie, which is promoting the death of many students, students who are the future generation of our world!

I really hate repeating myself over and over, but I'll say it again; the deaths of recent school shootings should really send out a message saying "GUNS IN SCHOOL ARE BAD". Virginia Tech. Columbine. Santana. The Amish school. There have been almost 3 dozen disasters at schools, due to some idiots bringing guns to school, or bombs.

And I am *not* saying that filmmakers shouldn't have guns in certain places. I *am* saying that I don't think it's the best idea to base a movie on such a particular subject.
Guns are bad in any situation, I don't see how you can be so against guns in schools and at the same time say (by implication) that it's not as bad when it's people being gunned down in other situations. Also, I'm sorry for your loss but unless your mate was killed in a school shooting I fail to see the connection between his death and the glamorisation of events like Colombine and V.T - as far as I can tell you're saying that he killed himself.

As for this project: If you're making it to promote debate or even just to provoke emotion or some kind of reaction then that's fair enough, I think that art should provoke strong feelings and emotion and that to do that successfully requires talent of one kind or another. If, however, you're doing this for the wrong reasons (either because you're unhinged in some way or because your of the "Guns and killing are cool and manley" mentality) then it'll fall completely flat, be empty of any artistic merit and make you seem like an untalented psychopath. If you're just making this because you've seen Battle Royale one two many times then stop now, that's my advice.
Posted: Sat, 8th Sep 2007, 7:49pm

Post 30 of 32

King of Blades

Force: 1700 | Joined: 29th May 2006 | Posts: 794

EffectsLab Pro User Windows User

Gold Member

Rawree wrote:

I'm sorry for your loss but unless your mate was killed in a school shooting I fail to see the connection between his death and the glamorisation of events like Colombine and V.T - as far as I can tell you're saying that he killed himself.
No, he wasn't killed in a school shooting. The fact that he committed suicide is bad enough; to have more who were killed in a school shooting would be on a higher level. You're right-- it has no connection, but I believe it would be prudent not to take a risk that would provoke such an act.
Posted: Sat, 8th Sep 2007, 9:01pm

Post 31 of 32

sfbmovieco

Force: 2354 | Joined: 19th Mar 2002 | Posts: 1552

VideoWrap User PhotoKey 2 User Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

Columbine and VT are very much tragic incidents. However, as Rawree implied, there are murders everyday on the streets of our cities. There is rape, drug use and all sorts of other crime going on everyday. For you to draw a line on where these actions take place, isn't your place. It's no ones place.

Like I stated before, if you don't like it, don't see it. Don't let your kids watch it.

The main issue here is that guns in schools = kids with guns. I think Americans and the world sometimes put too much emphasis on kids losing their innocence at a young age. That is why it's frowned upon so much. Kids will lose their innocence regaurdless; whether it happens at 13 or 23 is of little importance in my mind.

I just think people on this forum who may have grown up in the inner city or in a different situation from the suburbs may find it almost humorous that you can say it's too true to life in the schools, but not so in cop or crime movies in the cities.

The public can blame any single form of art or technology for any single thing they want. Look at the book, Catcher in the Rye. That book is one of my favorite books of all time. Yet two different assassins had it on their person when they were caught, so it catches flack for provoking attacks.

When can we wake up and realize it is not the job of the government or society to regulate what we see and take into our bodies? I for one do not want to live in such a society.
Posted: Sat, 8th Sep 2007, 9:05pm

Post 32 of 32

King of Blades

Force: 1700 | Joined: 29th May 2006 | Posts: 794

EffectsLab Pro User Windows User

Gold Member

sfbmovieco wrote:

When can we wake up and realize it is not the job of the government or society to regulate what we see and take into our bodies? I for one do not want to live in such a society.
Well it looks like we see eye-to-eye on something... wink