You are viewing an archive of the old fxhome.com forums. The community has since moved to hitfilm.com.

Best Computer on Market

Posted: Wed, 12th Mar 2008, 1:06am

Post 1 of 44

DVStudio

Force: 4983 | Joined: 22nd Nov 2007 | Posts: 1845

CompositeLab Pro User EffectsLab Pro User PhotoKey 4 User FXpreset Maker FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Guys... I just found it. The best computer avilable. My dad has the model at work, but it doesn't have everything n it. The model is the Dell Precision T7400. It beats all the other PCs out there IN RAm and other specs. Mac fans... this PC beats the Mac Pro (and all other models) by 1000000%!!!!!!
Link=
http://www.dell.com/content/products/category.aspx/precn_biz?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd


Specs:
-5TB HDD
-128GB RAM (coming Q2 of 2008)
-Quad-Core Intel® Xeon® Processors 5400
-High-performance graphics cards up to dual 1.5GB cards and 225 watts in x16 PCI Express slot with optional dual-graphics [/u]
Posted: Wed, 12th Mar 2008, 1:32am

Post 2 of 44

FreshMentos

Force: 1667 | Joined: 10th Jun 2006 | Posts: 1141

VisionLab User MacOS User

Gold Member

Rating: +2

DVStudio wrote:

...Mac fans... this PC beats the Mac Pro (and all other models) by 1000000%!!!!!!
I'm very impressed that you were able to calculate that.

While your at it... How many times better is a potato chip than a T-Shirt?
Posted: Wed, 12th Mar 2008, 2:04am

Post 3 of 44

Aculag

Force: 8365 | Joined: 21st Jun 2002 | Posts: 8581

EffectsLab Lite User VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

Just because you can load mindless amounts of RAM and additions doesn't make it a good computer.
Let's not forget that it still runs Windows.
Posted: Wed, 12th Mar 2008, 2:05am

Post 4 of 44

D3L3T10N

Force: 317 | Joined: 23rd Jun 2007 | Posts: 472

CompositeLab Pro User FXhome Movie Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

DVStudio wrote:

Mac fans... this PC beats the Mac Pro (and all other models) by 1000000%!!!!!! [/u]
This being a site focused on filmmaking--the bulk of which is being done on Macs, I would be careful what you say about that kind of thing. It could be a little dangerous...

Also, I actually looked at the site, and 128GB of memory isn't that much. And I don't know where you got that 5TB thing from, but it wasn't from that site...

Last edited Thu, 13th Mar 2008, 1:27am; edited 1 times in total.

Posted: Wed, 12th Mar 2008, 2:35am

Post 5 of 44

FreshMentos

Force: 1667 | Joined: 10th Jun 2006 | Posts: 1141

VisionLab User MacOS User

Gold Member

D3L3T10N wrote:

Also, I actually looked at the site, and its not 128GB of RAM, its 128GB of memory, which, admittedly, isn't that much. And I don't know where you got that 5TB thing from, but it wasn't from that site...
Memory=RAM

I did not see on the site though that you could get a 5TB drive. Seems like a great computer for its price, but I'm not the biggest fan of Dells. I prefer custom built PC's. Oh, and Aculag is completely right.
Posted: Wed, 12th Mar 2008, 2:50am

Post 6 of 44

jrg2134

Force: 2491 | Joined: 11th Oct 2003 | Posts: 288

VisionLab User FXpreset Maker Windows User FXhome Movie Maker

Gold Member

Sounds like a pretty sweet computer.... although I agree with D3L3T10N. That computer may be great and wonderful for some things but iMacs are usually better for filmmaking.

Plus, technology advances every day. It is a bold claim to compare two modern computers and say one is better.

Both PCs and iMacs have their strong points and their weaknesses. PCs are better for somethings while iMacs for better at other things.
Posted: Wed, 12th Mar 2008, 8:27am

Post 7 of 44

A Pickle

Force: 1235 | Joined: 7th Sep 2004 | Posts: 1280

EffectsLab Lite User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

While I'll agree that Macs and PC's both have their place in filmmaking...

jrg2134 wrote:

Sounds like a pretty sweet computer.... although I agree with D3L3T10N. That computer may be great and wonderful for some things but iMacs are usually better for filmmaking.
Apple doesn't currently, and never has sold a 17" laptop with a high-end graphics card and dual hard drives in RAID 0. They also don't sell any... hmm... GOOD 13.3" laptops.

These factors being the case, I can disagree with you... AND Aculag, who seems to think it's nuts to run Windows. I want a 13.3" notebook with a dedicated graphics processor. Sadly, Mac OS X doesn't run on such a computer, so...
Posted: Wed, 12th Mar 2008, 8:54am

Post 8 of 44

Sollthar

Force: 13360 | Joined: 30th Oct 2001 | Posts: 6094

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 2 Pro User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User MacOS User

SuperUser

Rating: +1

Any topic where the word Mac is mentioned and you can count on A Pickle to jump in and repeat the same things over and over again. smile
Posted: Wed, 12th Mar 2008, 9:23am

Post 9 of 44

Simon K Jones

Force: 27955 | Joined: 1st Jan 2002 | Posts: 11683

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 5 Pro User MuzzlePlug User PowerPlug User PhotoKey 3 Plug-in User FXhome Movie Maker FXpreset Maker Windows User

FXhome Team Member

Rating: +1

Malone should just write an 'A Pickle' script into the forum, so that if the word 'mac' appears in a post a reply automatically gets pasted in?
Posted: Wed, 12th Mar 2008, 11:32am

Post 10 of 44

pdrg

Force: 5405 | Joined: 4th Dec 2006 | Posts: 4143

VisionLab User Windows User

Gold Member

I remember a couple of years ago, when MS and Sun made up again, MS had a 'hyperdome'(?) installed for testing - 64 processors, Terrabyte(s?) of RAM (memory is the M in RAM), pretty much the most hardcore mainframe you could chop together from intel pieces. The first thing the techies used it for to test it was set up right - a doom server. Apparently it was rather good.

So, let's clear this up a little without the nonsense and opinion...

1) DVStudio's dad works somewhere with a great computer, which will do certain disk/memory intensive things very well (I'd imagine it'd be great at 3D rendering, for instance, or compression)

2) It does outspec Macs. Yes, it does.

3) It might run W2K3S, UNIX, or another hardcore server OS. I doubt it's single-user running Vista or OSX (although doubtless it could do so effortlessly)

4) No, iMacs are not usually better at filmmaking. They're computers. So are PC's. You can run Avid flavours on both. Quantel EQ's and similar high-end kit run with dedicated hardware (although commonly Intel-based). Film is analogue. It all pales into insignificance compared with the abilities of the artist driving it.

5) RAM = Random Access Memory. I can't accept 'best' arguments as credible from someone who doesn't know the basics of computer architecture, sorry d3l3t10n.

As PC's and Macs are now the same stuff in different boxes, the whole argument is about the pretty box and the choice of OS. Operating Systems are simply utility layers to allow you to run software. If you know or care what OS you run, it isn't doing its job. You can make Vista look near as dammit like OSX, you can (I'm sure) skin OSX to look like Win 3.1 if you need to. Both OSes (plus UNIX, Linux, some others) abstract the hardware to run programmes, some programmes run a bit better on one or the other. If you use a programme that runs on both (eg Avid Xpress Pro), you don't have to care who made the OS or whether the box its running on has rounded corners.

PC users, your Mac bretheren have come over to Intel architecture (rightly or wrongly), instead of mocking them for paying more for good packaging and a different OS, instead be grateful you have a system you understand and prefer.

Mac users, don't be irrational and confuse your choice of OS with personality - it's still a computer, you're not more artistic or creative than a PC user just for choosing a tool you can understand.

Both camps, this is the time to stop bleating. Really. In the olden days, there were fundamental differences between the two, each with its own strengths and weaknesses (right-click on the PC for instance, or the shrinkwrapped nature of macs). Now the arguments may as well be Linux vs Windows - the same hardware capabilities support all 3 OS'es. But if you think your choice of OS (based largely on branding and market positioning) says anything interesting about you, you're deluded.

And before we get into Gates = Evil, Jobs = Messiah nonsense, neither is true. They're two businessmen, one arguably better than the other, who sell computers. One through comoditisation, the other through cult of personality, but they both just want to take your cash.

Maybe you buy Apple just because you for some semirational reason hate Gates / MS...have a look at who owns a massive slice of Apple. Oh. Guys, there really are no interesting arguments left on the Mac VS PC front, please can we just drop it forever?
Posted: Wed, 12th Mar 2008, 12:04pm

Post 11 of 44

DVStudio

Force: 4983 | Joined: 22nd Nov 2007 | Posts: 1845

CompositeLab Pro User EffectsLab Pro User PhotoKey 4 User FXpreset Maker FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Okay...
1) RAM= Memory which was already said

2) I forgot to put this in the spec list: It euns Vista Ultimate, but can also run Vista Buisiness (obviously)

3) I agree that Apple can't make good laptops and certainly none of their desktops compare vne remotely!
Posted: Wed, 12th Mar 2008, 12:07pm

Post 12 of 44

Simon K Jones

Force: 27955 | Joined: 1st Jan 2002 | Posts: 11683

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 5 Pro User MuzzlePlug User PowerPlug User PhotoKey 3 Plug-in User FXhome Movie Maker FXpreset Maker Windows User

FXhome Team Member

There's a general lack of knowledge in this topic that suggests to me that most people need to do some serious homework before offering advice or opinion on computer hardware...

DVStudio - what exactly is the point of your super high-spec machine? What are you planning on doing with it?
Posted: Wed, 12th Mar 2008, 1:37pm

Post 13 of 44

Jabooza

Force: 2743 | Joined: 21st Jul 2006 | Posts: 1446

VisionLab User VideoWrap User FXpreset Maker FXhome Movie Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

A Pickle wrote:

They also don't sell any... hmm... GOOD 13.3" laptops.
Well, I'm using a 13.3" Apple laptop right now and in my opinion it is very good. Since what is "good" is really almost always only a matter of opinion, you really can't say they don't make any "good" 13.3" laptops.

DVStudio wrote:

2) I forgot to put this in the spec list: It euns Vista Ultimate, but can also run Vista Buisiness (obviously)
Oh, well that certainly proves that it isn't good at all! smile Just kidding .......kinda.


-Jabooza
Posted: Wed, 12th Mar 2008, 1:55pm

Post 14 of 44

pdrg

Force: 5405 | Joined: 4th Dec 2006 | Posts: 4143

VisionLab User Windows User

Gold Member

DVStudio wrote:


2) I forgot to put this in the spec list: It euns Vista Ultimate, but can also run Vista Buisiness (obviously)
It's a server spec machine, indeed it'd work well as a virtualisation/consolidation server, which makes Vista a surprising choice - can it even manage that much RAM (it may well do, I'm out of step!). I'd be interested to hear what it's going to be used for at your dad's work.



3) I agree that Apple can't make good laptops and certainly none of their desktops compare vne remotely!
Oh DVStudio...
Apple make perfectly decent laptops and desktops to my mind. True, they're really a client rather than server company, so make client-focussed hardware, and won't have a line to compete with this funky Dell. But nor will most PC manufacturers, it's a niche market.

And their ultra-thin lappy is dead sexy...
Posted: Wed, 12th Mar 2008, 2:04pm

Post 15 of 44

Simon K Jones

Force: 27955 | Joined: 1st Jan 2002 | Posts: 11683

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 5 Pro User MuzzlePlug User PowerPlug User PhotoKey 3 Plug-in User FXhome Movie Maker FXpreset Maker Windows User

FXhome Team Member

Rating: +2

I wonder what it is about people (well, teenagers) that makes them think you have to have 'allegiance' to a particular brand of computer? It's so utterly arbitrary, like having an evangelical obsession with a particular brand of spanner, or a certain type of pencil.

There's a certain type of person that seems to think that liking things is a wholly exclusive thing - ie, you can only like ONE thing. If people like a particular TV show, then all other TV shows 'suck'. If people use PCs, then Macs 'suck'. If people like Halo, then Half Life 2 'sucks'.

It's such a strange attitude to have. In almost all of these cases, surely variety and the fact that there's a choice is something to celebrate, not shoot down?
Posted: Wed, 12th Mar 2008, 2:16pm

Post 16 of 44

Jabooza

Force: 2743 | Joined: 21st Jul 2006 | Posts: 1446

VisionLab User VideoWrap User FXpreset Maker FXhome Movie Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

Tarn wrote:

I wonder what it is about people (well, teenagers) that makes them think you have to have 'allegiance' to a particular brand of computer? It's so utterly arbitrary, like having an evangelical obsession with a particular brand of spanner, or a certain type of pencil.

There's a certain type of person that seems to think that liking things is a wholly exclusive thing - ie, you can only like ONE thing. If people like a particular TV show, then all other TV shows 'suck'. If people use PCs, then Macs 'suck'. If people like Halo, then Half Life 2 'sucks'.

It's such a strange attitude to have. In almost all of these cases, surely variety and the fact that there's a choice is something to celebrate, not shoot down?
If only we could all think like you Tarn (btw, it's not just teenagers, *cough*A Pickle*cough*).
Posted: Wed, 12th Mar 2008, 2:21pm

Post 17 of 44

Simon K Jones

Force: 27955 | Joined: 1st Jan 2002 | Posts: 11683

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 5 Pro User MuzzlePlug User PowerPlug User PhotoKey 3 Plug-in User FXhome Movie Maker FXpreset Maker Windows User

FXhome Team Member

Jabooza wrote:

If only we could all think like you Tarn (btw, it's not just teenagers, *cough*A Pickle*cough*).
Ah, I actually thought A Pickle was a teenager, mainly due to his slightly evangelical computer proselytizing. smile
Posted: Wed, 12th Mar 2008, 2:29pm

Post 18 of 44

SilverDragon7

Force: 2265 | Joined: 29th Jun 2006 | Posts: 1990

VisionLab User VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Tarn wrote:

I wonder what it is about people (well, teenagers) that makes them think you have to have 'allegiance' to a particular brand of computer? It's so utterly arbitrary, like having an evangelical obsession with a particular brand of spanner, or a certain type of pencil.

There's a certain type of person that seems to think that liking things is a wholly exclusive thing - ie, you can only like ONE thing. If people like a particular TV show, then all other TV shows 'suck'. If people use PCs, then Macs 'suck'. If people like Halo, then Half Life 2 'sucks'.
Absolutely true.

But then you have to remember about us teenagers who don't focas on the one product, like me. Mac and PC are both great, it really just depends on who is using them.

Last edited Wed, 12th Mar 2008, 2:48pm; edited 1 times in total.

Posted: Wed, 12th Mar 2008, 2:36pm

Post 19 of 44

pdrg

Force: 5405 | Joined: 4th Dec 2006 | Posts: 4143

VisionLab User Windows User

Gold Member

It's tribal, teenagers in particular need to identify themselves in context/contrast with the things around them - it's because they haven't formed senses of identity on their own.

Mods vs rockers, blur vs oasis, blah blah..
Posted: Wed, 12th Mar 2008, 2:44pm

Post 20 of 44

Jabooza

Force: 2743 | Joined: 21st Jul 2006 | Posts: 1446

VisionLab User VideoWrap User FXpreset Maker FXhome Movie Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

SilverDragon7 wrote:

But then you have to remember about us teenagers who don't focas on the one product, like me. Mac and PC are both great, it really just depends on who is using them.
I agree that PCs are better for some things, like gaming and office work (odd that those two things are complete opposites), but I personally prefer Macs for overall use and I do think they are are probably a better choice for doing media work. So I'm not quite an all-out Mac fanboy, I just prefer them and find them better for most but not all things. Also, I suppose it's worth mentioning that Macs are capable of doing gaming and office work as good as Windows if you were to buy the Windows operating system and use it on a Mac, but the price would be ridiculous after buying a Mac and a Windows operating system compared to just buying a Windows computer.
Posted: Wed, 12th Mar 2008, 3:33pm

Post 21 of 44

Atom

Force: 4300 | Joined: 9th May 2004 | Posts: 7014

EffectsLab Lite User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

I leave for a couple days and I miss something this hilarious?

Damn. Both sides are largely and sorely misinformed, and I'm embarrassed for both. That computer is very good, but iMacs are generally a lot better for filmmaking. But this computer runs Vista Ultimate, so it's definitely better than every other.

Give me a break.
Posted: Wed, 12th Mar 2008, 7:07pm

Post 22 of 44

Thrawn

Force: 1995 | Joined: 11th Aug 2006 | Posts: 1962

CompositeLab Pro User EffectsLab Lite User FXhome Movie Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

MAC PWNS ALLLLL!!!! LOL'ERZ!!! WINDOWZ SUCS!!!
wink

I laughed pretty hard while reading this thread... Most of you may already know I don't prefer Vista, but I totaly agree that they every OS has it's purpose (Yes, even Linux).
Posted: Wed, 12th Mar 2008, 7:14pm

Post 23 of 44

Fill

Force: 1257 | Joined: 1st Jul 2005 | Posts: 1652

CompositeLab Lite User EffectsLab Lite User Windows User

Gold Member

Ahahahaha. Macs are better for filmmaking? That's very correct.

It's the same situation with these two bottled waters. This bottled water is 20% more wet than this water. It's science I swear to god. You people just need to wake up and realize the reality around you!

Side comment: I think that super computer is great, but isn't it about time we slowed down on the large computer making and start coding some tighter software that will really utilize its power?
Posted: Wed, 12th Mar 2008, 7:31pm

Post 24 of 44

Phantom48

Force: 549 | Joined: 4th Jun 2007 | Posts: 139

EffectsLab Pro User FXpreset Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Rating: -8

MAC PWNS ALLLLL!!!! LOL'ERZ!!! WINDOWZ SUCS!!!
Lol i can't believe this. Listen- I have used both a Mac and a PC. You know which one i chose?


The PC.

Why?

Because its better. I am using right now an Alienware Area 51 with lots of goodies and other stuff, but thats not the reason. the reason i chose it is because, you have to admit it- theres more stuff for windows. more games, more support, most of all, more manufactures of PCs, which in retrospective unless your going for a top of line model (Alienware, Voodoo, That beast of a Dell) they are going to cost MUCH less due to increased competition. I'm not going to shell out 2 grand on a macbook when i can get something better from alienware for $1800.

also, i don't see windows and PC makers putting out annoying as fuck commercials that have gay as shit music and insult Macs (hmm.. you know like the ones Mac has???)

Don't call me a fanboy, im just saying I would ALWAYS choose a PC over a mac, even if Mac ran windows. (Microsoft wouldn't stoop that low though... twisted twisted twisted biggrin )

I can feel the Macboys commin'!!! but I dont give a shit because i dont plan on checking this thread again, mainly because I've already said what ive needed to say and i will simple sit back and ROFLMAO at the people who will surely argue my statements. (even though im right...)

fuck MACS WOOOHOOOOO!!!!!! Fuck 'em, Fuck 'em, Fuck Steve Jobs or whoever the fuck started that Piece 'o' shit company!

Amen!

Last edited Wed, 12th Mar 2008, 8:04pm; edited 3 times in total.

Posted: Wed, 12th Mar 2008, 7:31pm

Post 25 of 44

pdrg

Force: 5405 | Joined: 4th Dec 2006 | Posts: 4143

VisionLab User Windows User

Gold Member

Fill wrote:


Side comment: I think that super computer is great, but isn't it about time we slowed down on the large computer making and start coding some tighter software that will really utilize its power?
Excellent point, but we demand more and more from our home computers. 10 years ago, the idea of editing video on a laptop was pretty outrageous. Now we want HDV. Next we'll want 1080p. Next we'll want 3D, real-time processing, etc...and we'll want it with a cute user-interface, animated menues, all the hard decisions made for us by the computer, etc.

You're right that a lot of stuff could be coded tighter, but apps are too complex to write in assembly, and have to cope with such a wide range of hardware, that the ease of use is where all those clock-cycles are going.
Posted: Wed, 12th Mar 2008, 7:51pm

Post 26 of 44

Simon K Jones

Force: 27955 | Joined: 1st Jan 2002 | Posts: 11683

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 5 Pro User MuzzlePlug User PowerPlug User PhotoKey 3 Plug-in User FXhome Movie Maker FXpreset Maker Windows User

FXhome Team Member

Phantom48 wrote:

I'm not going to shell out 2 grand on a macbook when i can get something better from alienware for $1800.
If value for money is one of your primary concerns, then I find it a bit strange that you went for an Alienware PC?

Alright- let the flaming begin! twisted
If that's what you're looking for then I think you've probably come to the wrong forum, and will be sorely disappointed. That's not really how things work around here, as people generally have better things to be doing.

Thanks for the post though, it was highly amusing.
Posted: Wed, 12th Mar 2008, 7:53pm

Post 27 of 44

Pooky

Force: 4834 | Joined: 8th Jul 2003 | Posts: 5913

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User MacOS User FXhome Movie Maker

Gold Member

*hugs Tarn*

I agree entirely. I use a Mac, but have nothing against owning or using a PC. I play games on 360, but would buy a Wii, PS3, or gaming PC if I had the money. I'm a huge Half-Life fan, but own and liked Halo 3. I listen to music ranging from AC/DC, to Chris Brown, to Daft Punk, to Philip Glass. I'm not bi though. smile

At some point I realized that all this arguing over brand allegiances was utterly stupid and just preventing me from enjoying life correctly. So I stopped. Can't imagine why anyone wouldn't do the same. razz


Phantom48 - Go outside. No wait... don't. Don't go outside no matter what.

Last edited Wed, 12th Mar 2008, 8:00pm; edited 1 times in total.

Posted: Wed, 12th Mar 2008, 7:54pm

Post 28 of 44

pixelboy

Force: 3000 | Joined: 13th Feb 2005 | Posts: 439

VisionLab User VideoWrap User FXpreset Maker FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

...I like computers biggrin

Seriously, these fanboyish allegiances are just ridiculous. Just as Tarn said, preferring one OS (or anything, for that matter) over another does not mean all the other options aren't valid. Especially with something so trivial as this - It's almost worse than the Wii/PS3/X-Box debate eh
Can't we all just get along? Sheesh.

[EDIT] Ah, I see Pooky beat me to the punch there. biggrin
Posted: Wed, 12th Mar 2008, 8:08pm

Post 29 of 44

A Pickle

Force: 1235 | Joined: 7th Sep 2004 | Posts: 1280

EffectsLab Lite User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

pdrg wrote:

If only we could all think like you Tarn (btw, it's not just teenagers, *cough*A Pickle*cough*).

Tarn wrote:

Malone should just write an 'A Pickle' script into the forum, so that if the word 'mac' appears in a post a reply automatically gets pasted in?
I feel like I need to exonerate myself a little bit, here. People seem to think I'm of the opinion that Macs suck... and that's not the case. For me, Apple has no computer that I want. That is to say, they don't make a 17" notebook with two hard drives and a high-end graphics card -- they make a 17" notebook with one hard drive and a mid-range graphics card. I don't want that, I had a notebook like that once. It didn't fulfill my needs, in fact, it fell vastly short of them.

And again, Apple doesn't suck... it's just that they don't make a 13.3" notebook with a dedicated graphics card, so their entire lineup of 13.3" notebooks is really quite useless to me. So, keeping in mind, when I say Apple doesn't make any "good" 13.3" notebooks, I'm saying that with my biased slant on things -- not because the MacBook is a bad notebook. For people who can somehow use their computers without a dedicated graphics coprocessor, I'm sure it's just fine. I just can't stand integrated graphics, especially... ESPECIALLY... of the Intel flavor. Ugh. Using a computer with integrated graphics is like... using a club. In 15,000 BC. Ugh. Ugh. Ugh. Ugh. Ugh. Can't stand it. One bit. Ugh.

Also, I feel that a lot of the time, Mac users emanate this intrinsic need to hear your justification for going PC instead of Mac. Like, "Well mister, I better start hearing some jolly good arguments about why you're not buying a Mac! Since, you DO know that Macs can run Windows, right? And that's all that matters, right? That your applications run?" That's bogus. I want Windows. Yes, I know about Boot Camp, and I don't care. I don't want to pay the OS X tax on a computer that I'm only going to be using Windows on. If I ever bought a Mac, I would seriously NEVER boot into Mac OS X with it. Why would I want to pay for it, then?

In closing, I'm gonna have to agree that DVStudio started this thread in something of a manner of flamebait... and that there have been some rather un-informed anti-Mac (and anti-PC...) posts that have taken place here. Both are good computers. Including PC's. Including Macs.

But seriously...

...Apple doesn't make a 13.3" laptop with a graphics card, or a 17" with a high-end graphics card, two hard drives and a numpad. It's a sad truth.
Posted: Wed, 12th Mar 2008, 8:40pm

Post 30 of 44

Thrawn

Force: 1995 | Joined: 11th Aug 2006 | Posts: 1962

CompositeLab Pro User EffectsLab Lite User FXhome Movie Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

Phantom48 wrote:

MAC PWNS ALLLLL!!!! LOL'ERZ!!! WINDOWZ SUCS!!!
Lol i can't believe this. Listen- I have used both a Mac and a PC. You know which one i chose?


The PC.

Why?

Because its better. I am using right now an Alienware Area 51 with lots of goodies and other stuff, but thats not the reason. the reason i chose it is because, you have to admit it- theres more stuff for windows. more games, more support, most of all, more manufactures of PCs, which in retrospective unless your going for a top of line model (Alienware, Voodoo, That beast of a Dell) they are going to cost MUCH less due to increased competition. I'm not going to shell out 2 grand on a macbook when i can get something better from alienware for $1800.

also, i don't see windows and PC makers putting out annoying as fudge commercials that have gay as poo music and insult Macs (hmm.. you know like the ones Mac has???)

Don't call me a fanboy, im just saying I would ALWAYS choose a PC over a mac, even if Mac ran windows. (Microsoft wouldn't stoop that low though... twisted twisted twisted biggrin )

I can feel the Macboys commin'!!! but I dont give a poo because i dont plan on checking this thread again, mainly because I've already said what ive needed to say and i will simple sit back and ROFLMAO at the people who will surely argue my statements. (even though im right...)

fudge MACS WOOOHOOOOO!!!!!! fudge 'em, fudge 'em, fudge Steve Jobs or whoever the fudge started that Piece 'o' poo company!

Amen!
I hate to burst your bubble (and ruin your rant) but I was just joking. As much as I love to talk in n00b speak (<<{sarcastic}) I'm not really an apple mega-fanboy. Oh, and you might want to look into increasing your vocabulary, because you might have just used the word "poo" one to many times..
Posted: Wed, 12th Mar 2008, 8:57pm

Post 31 of 44

SilverDragon7

Force: 2265 | Joined: 29th Jun 2006 | Posts: 1990

VisionLab User VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

SilverDragon7 wrote:

Mac and PC are both great, it really just depends on who is using them.
Posted: Wed, 12th Mar 2008, 9:12pm

Post 32 of 44

CX3

Force: 3137 | Joined: 1st Apr 2003 | Posts: 2527

EffectsLab Lite User VideoWrap User MacOS User FXhome Movie Maker

Gold Member

Phantom48 wrote:

MAC PWNS ALLLLL!!!! LOL'ERZ!!! WINDOWZ SUCS!!!
Lol i can't believe this. Listen- I have used both a Mac and a PC. You know which one i chose?


The PC.

Why?

Because its better. I am using right now an Alienware Area 51 with lots of goodies and other stuff, but thats not the reason. the reason i chose it is because, you have to admit it- theres more stuff for windows. more games, more support, most of all, more manufactures of PCs, which in retrospective unless your going for a top of line model (Alienware, Voodoo, That beast of a Dell) they are going to cost MUCH less due to increased competition. I'm not going to shell out 2 grand on a macbook when i can get something better from alienware for $1800.

also, i don't see windows and PC makers putting out annoying as fudge commercials that have gay as poo music and insult Macs (hmm.. you know like the ones Mac has???)

Don't call me a fanboy, im just saying I would ALWAYS choose a PC over a mac, even if Mac ran windows. (Microsoft wouldn't stoop that low though... twisted twisted twisted biggrin )

I can feel the Macboys commin'!!! but I dont give a poo because i dont plan on checking this thread again, mainly because I've already said what ive needed to say and i will simple sit back and ROFLMAO at the people who will surely argue my statements. (even though im right...)

fudge MACS WOOOHOOOOO!!!!!! fudge 'em, fudge 'em, fudge Steve Jobs or whoever the fudge started that Piece 'o' poo company!

Amen!
Who invited this guy?
Posted: Wed, 12th Mar 2008, 9:19pm

Post 33 of 44

Fill

Force: 1257 | Joined: 1st Jul 2005 | Posts: 1652

CompositeLab Lite User EffectsLab Lite User Windows User

Gold Member

You misunderstand Phantom48. His whole post was sarcastic. You see, he's mastered a technique called elite-sarcasm that is so undetectable in real life, that's it's impossible to detect on the internet. What a talent.
Posted: Wed, 12th Mar 2008, 9:36pm

Post 34 of 44

CX3

Force: 3137 | Joined: 1st Apr 2003 | Posts: 2527

EffectsLab Lite User VideoWrap User MacOS User FXhome Movie Maker

Gold Member

Rating: +1

I'd say he mastered more of a technique called douche-bagam
Posted: Wed, 12th Mar 2008, 9:46pm

Post 35 of 44

SilverDragon7

Force: 2265 | Joined: 29th Jun 2006 | Posts: 1990

VisionLab User VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Who? Phantom or Thrawn?

Oh, and Phantom invited himself... You know he just had to crash the party wink.
Posted: Wed, 12th Mar 2008, 10:08pm

Post 36 of 44

Fill

Force: 1257 | Joined: 1st Jul 2005 | Posts: 1652

CompositeLab Lite User EffectsLab Lite User Windows User

Gold Member

Rating: +1

Posted: Wed, 12th Mar 2008, 10:57pm

Post 37 of 44

Jabooza

Force: 2743 | Joined: 21st Jul 2006 | Posts: 1446

VisionLab User VideoWrap User FXpreset Maker FXhome Movie Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

A Pickle wrote:

pdrg wrote:

If only we could all think like you Tarn (btw, it's not just teenagers, *cough*A Pickle*cough*).
Actually, I wrote that. smile

Fill wrote:

I disagree, I got quite a laugh out of Phantom's fanboyishness (that word should be added to the dictionary). smile


-Jabooza
Posted: Wed, 12th Mar 2008, 11:33pm

Post 38 of 44

DVStudio

Force: 4983 | Joined: 22nd Nov 2007 | Posts: 1845

CompositeLab Pro User EffectsLab Pro User PhotoKey 4 User FXpreset Maker FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Yeah... I don't know what it is about us teenagers. We're so weird that way.

My dad uses it at work for cameras. They have wireless camera system with about 5-10 cameras. That is it's primary use. It is in his office and it is really sweet!

Last edited Wed, 3rd Sep 2008, 5:06pm; edited 1 times in total.

Posted: Thu, 13th Mar 2008, 12:58am

Post 39 of 44

Phantom48

Force: 549 | Joined: 4th Jun 2007 | Posts: 139

EffectsLab Pro User FXpreset Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Aww...

come on guys, i was only playin- im not that much of a dick, and hey, i figured that at least some people would get a kick out of that. it was really fun to type and think up hehe. sorry if i offended anyone, i love you all and i love this forum. i didnt really mean for that to be taken seriously lol.


And about my "Elite-Sarcasm"...

Yes i poses that skill.

I also possess the "Elite-Smartass" skill so be careful.


(but come one, in a thread like this that was bound to spawn rants and arguments, you people gave me a -5 rating...)


So sorry, hope you can forgive,
Steve

(lol parties back on guys)
Posted: Thu, 13th Mar 2008, 1:31am

Post 40 of 44

D3L3T10N

Force: 317 | Joined: 23rd Jun 2007 | Posts: 472

CompositeLab Pro User FXhome Movie Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

Phantom48 wrote:

I would ALWAYS choose a PC over a mac, even if Mac ran windows. (Microsoft wouldn't stoop that low though... twisted twisted twisted biggrin )
All Macs released in about that past year and a half CAN run windows. They come pre-installed with the disk partitioning software necessary. All you need is a copy of Vista or XP.
Posted: Thu, 13th Mar 2008, 1:41am

Post 41 of 44

ben3308

Force: 5210 | Joined: 24th May 2004 | Posts: 6433

VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

All other debates aside, it's a bit stupid for someone to say, "yeah, that computer's cool, but iMacs are better for filmmaking."

As for that, OS preferences aside, a computer with such a hefty amount of RAM versus an all-in-one package (which, inherently, isn't going to be as robust as a standalone like the Mac Pro) iMac draws no contest: more RAM = faster editing/loading/batching/rendering (most usually).

As such, a higher-powered machine would be better. Don't just bring a bias in for no reason: more power in a machine is just more power. It's not something to argue about. It's apples to oranges: one computer is made to be a small, crisp package to do it all, the other is made for power. Different purposes. But for capturing, rendering, and the like, more power is favorable.
Posted: Mon, 24th Mar 2008, 6:51pm

Post 42 of 44

D3L3T10N

Force: 317 | Joined: 23rd Jun 2007 | Posts: 472

CompositeLab Pro User FXhome Movie Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

pdrg wrote:


5) RAM = Random Access Memory. I can't accept 'best' arguments as credible from someone who doesn't know the basics of computer architecture, sorry d3l3t10n.
When I talk about RAM, I'm talking about the physical RAM sticks that you insert in your computer to help video run smoother or increase your computers capacity for open apps. Sorry for any confusion.
Posted: Mon, 24th Mar 2008, 7:42pm

Post 43 of 44

pdrg

Force: 5405 | Joined: 4th Dec 2006 | Posts: 4143

VisionLab User Windows User

Gold Member

D3L3T10N wrote:

When I talk about RAM, I'm talking about the physical RAM sticks that you insert in your computer to help video run smoother or increase your computers capacity for open apps.
Me too!
Posted: Tue, 25th Mar 2008, 2:03pm

Post 44 of 44

Staff Only

Force: 1805 | Joined: 22nd Feb 2005 | Posts: 1232

VisionLab User MacOS User

Gold Member

Tarn wrote:

I wonder what it is about people (well, teenagers) that makes them think you have to have 'allegiance' to a particular brand of computer? It's so utterly arbitrary, like having an evangelical obsession with a particular brand of spanner, or a certain type of pencil.

There's a certain type of person that seems to think that liking things is a wholly exclusive thing - ie, you can only like ONE thing. If people like a particular TV show, then all other TV shows 'suck'. If people use PCs, then Macs 'suck'. If people like Halo, then Half Life 2 'sucks'.

It's such a strange attitude to have. In almost all of these cases, surely variety and the fact that there's a choice is something to celebrate, not shoot down?
Yup, I have a guy like that in my class...make that several guys. unsure