You are viewing an archive of the old fxhome.com forums. The community has since moved to hitfilm.com.

Cover's Redemptiathon

Posted: Tue, 8th Apr 2008, 10:43am

Post 1 of 61

Penguin

Force: 852 | Joined: 17th May 2006 | Posts: 560

EffectsLab Pro User FXpreset Maker FXhome Movie Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

This piece delves deeply into the deepest depths of the human mind, served with a hearty helping of contrast, shaky-cam, and philosophical narration. And of course, it was made in under 24 hours.


Made with generous permission from Atomic Productions, and hosted by NickFreeland.net.


More Info
Posted: Tue, 8th Apr 2008, 11:03am

Post 2 of 61

Xcession

Force: 42802 | Joined: 21st Mar 2001 | Posts: 1964

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 3 Pro User Windows User

SuperUser

QFT!!

Its an odd turn of events that Atomic Productions have become a byword for vacuous content and trying way too hard, but highly amusing that they're on-board with this pastiche. Kudos all round!
Posted: Tue, 8th Apr 2008, 2:51pm

Post 3 of 61

SilverDragon7

Force: 2265 | Joined: 29th Jun 2006 | Posts: 1990

VisionLab User VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

I saw this in your sig, and I knew it would be hilarious. You camerawork, grading, and overused contrast filter blew me away.

"It's about making movies with cool grading; that are confusing enough to disgiuse the fact that they don't really have a plot."

Also, why isn't there a .mov download? Jerk.
Posted: Tue, 8th Apr 2008, 4:16pm

Post 4 of 61

ben3308

Force: 5210 | Joined: 24th May 2004 | Posts: 6433

VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

When my brother told me he found this on NickFreeland's server weeks ago, I was expecting to be really angered by it. But upon watching it, I found it really smart and satirical, and for that it earns my seal of approval.

I really liked this. It's very clever, and the note that turns into a marathon number was a good segway. And yes, I can take a joke. The grading was pointed and well-adapted. The voiceover was as well. The music, camerawork, and editing, however, I didn't think emulated us.

I do do a bit of handycam, but it's nowhere near as crazy as it is in this movie. biggrin Here, the shots of inanimate things were considerably shaky, whereas in Messages (where I'm assuming you got those shots from) the shots of flowers, the telephone poles, and the city are all pretty static.

Also, the editing in our movies is a staple of our style that we're proud of (props to Atom on that) and I don't think you really captured it well. I think you missed a big opportunity on not having a shot, a line, or something from the end of the movie in the beginning. Marathon has Brian holding Reese, Cover's Story has the robbery, Redemption has the 'You talking about forgiveness?', and so on. A foreboding intro would've made this more effective for me.

But still, overall it was very clever.

Buuuuuuuuut.....

This doesn't really apply to the parody so much as what it stands for, but I do want people to realize that in writing voiceovers and shooting seemingly 'random' shots we actually write them as a script before we shoot: they're not just a bullshit devices added to tie everything together. And while I know this is parody, I fear that some of the more sweeping generalizations in here might undercut our work.

In Messages, the shots of the tree and the street were planned. The telephone poles and the mailbox both signify antiquated forms of communication. A bit of a stretch, I'm aware, but still intentional in the end result.

I also actually labored over the script for a week before shooting. I wanted the words to make sense and appropriately end on the 'gift of words' catchphrase that I wrote from the start. So the biggest thing that bugs me about this is that on my most recent movie, in particular, (which I wrote, shot, and directed by myself) I actually spent the most time writing and figuring out how it would build up to the product in a positive way than actually producing the film itself. The fact that the music, camerawork, and grading are all good are simply side effects of myself, Atom, and Tommy Gundersen all being talented at what we do. biggrin

In short, this is a good parody, but I hope that too many people don't pin all the generalizations in this to our movies as a whole, and instead see each film (Cover's Story, Redemption, Marathon, Messages, etc) for what it is, on its own.

That's really all. I'm sorry if I ranted, but I wanted to make clear just a few things that were criticized. After all, I don't want to be the complete source of criticism when I'm still only learning. wink
Posted: Tue, 8th Apr 2008, 4:26pm

Post 5 of 61

Simon K Jones

Force: 27955 | Joined: 1st Jan 2002 | Posts: 11683

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 5 Pro User MuzzlePlug User PowerPlug User PhotoKey 3 Plug-in User FXhome Movie Maker FXpreset Maker Windows User

FXhome Team Member

ben3308 wrote:

And while I know this is parody, I fear that some of the more sweeping generalizations in here might undercut our work.
The sign of a good parody, then. Hence you can no longer make a disaster movie set on an plane in mid-air without people thinking of Airplane!

Don't take it necessarily as a bad thing, though, as it indicates two things:

1. The parody was extremely effective.

2. The original source must have been successful at what it was trying to do, otherwise the parody itself would never have worked.

What I'd suggest is to take the existence of a parody as a reason to really spur your team onwards into new areas of creativity and inventiveness.


Also: I for one would like to see some more parodies of FXhomers' works. smile
Posted: Tue, 8th Apr 2008, 4:31pm

Post 6 of 61

Xcession

Force: 42802 | Joined: 21st Mar 2001 | Posts: 1964

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 3 Pro User Windows User

SuperUser

I think part of the job of parody is to deliberately undercut work with generalizations. Parody is a device to give people perspective, while also having a laugh and not taking anything too seriously.

I'm reminded of the recent multi-part South Park episode, where various directors are criticised for their techniques. One of those is Michael Bay, who is portrayed as having no concept of the difference between effects and a good movie. I thoroughly enjoy most Michael Bay movies, but I'm aware they're often just effects extravaganzas.

I'm sure Mr Bay won't have any trouble sleeping at night in his mansion on his solid platinum bed, but I'd like to think the SP parody is aimed more at keeping the Michael Bay evangelists inline by giving the rest of the film-going world ammunition. The issue isn't that Bay's films are bad, its simply that they're not the be-all and end-all of film.

The aim isn't really so much to criticise the creator, as to educate everyone else by example. Having your work used as an example is definately (on this occasion certainly) a compliment.

Last edited Tue, 8th Apr 2008, 4:44pm; edited 1 times in total.

Posted: Tue, 8th Apr 2008, 4:43pm

Post 7 of 61

ben3308

Force: 5210 | Joined: 24th May 2004 | Posts: 6433

VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Xcession wrote:

One of those is Michael Bay, who is portrayed to have no concept of the difference between effects and a good movie. I thoroughly enjoy most Michael Bay movies, but I'm aware they're just effects extravaganzas.
My point is more that, analogically, the movies I have made don't subsist only on cool grading and camerawork; there's more to them than that. Whereas with Michael Bay, they really are just movies that are 'awesome' for the sake of 'awesome'. I see the reason to parody me and my friends, but maybe you'll see my point. biggrin

As for Tarn's comment, my fear is confirmed in that I don't want people to just think of the things highlighted in this parody everytime they see something new from me just as people think of Airplane in your analogy! smile

Still, again, good parody, albeit a little scathing. But like I said, I enjoyed it if not for its cleverness then for its boldness. And, like Tarn, I hope it does usher in some more parody. From my view, Sollthar has just been asking for it for years... wink
Posted: Tue, 8th Apr 2008, 5:05pm

Post 8 of 61

Jabooza

Force: 2743 | Joined: 21st Jul 2006 | Posts: 1446

VisionLab User VideoWrap User FXpreset Maker FXhome Movie Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

Ben - this parody was an exaggerated version of your style; the reason the camera was very shaky all the time was because it was an exaggerated version of the shaky-cam that you guys use. Same goes for the narration; the narration in your movies has a lot of big words to make it sound cool, (although yours really does have meaning)... so we exaggerated it by using tons of big words that make it sound like it means something cool when it really means nothing at all.
Although I'm sure people will get a laugh out of this, I'm sure they'll still like and respect your style and your films. After all, we wouldn't have made a parody of them if they weren't actually good. smile



-Jabooza
Posted: Tue, 8th Apr 2008, 7:03pm

Post 9 of 61

Atom

Force: 4300 | Joined: 9th May 2004 | Posts: 7014

EffectsLab Lite User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Clever stuff, indeed. Especially the note that turns into a marathon number that then cuts to the actor with his shirt and pants rolled up. Now you know not to hate on our large vocabularies in movies. You couldn't work big words past the words 'consciousness' and 'universe', and I could tell it just killed you not to have anything more pseudo-philosophical packed into this. wink

Good show, guys. You know I laughed at the grading comment. smile

Just watch it with that word 'shaky-cam'. Handheld is much more appropriate when the camera movement is effectve. Like I said, 'shaky-cam' has negative connotations. And even though I couldn't care less, I'm sure it bugs Ben to death smile

3/5 (One off because it's a parody, one off because it has no plot. No pun intended. smile)

I am serious, and don't call me Shirley.
Posted: Tue, 8th Apr 2008, 9:41pm

Post 10 of 61

Serpent

Force: 5426 | Joined: 26th Dec 2003 | Posts: 6515

CompositeLab Pro User EffectsLab Pro User FXhome Movie Maker FXpreset Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

4/5 simply for the reaction you got out of Ben and Atom, which I knew would happen when I saw the sig. smile

Very funny though, the narration was brilliant. All-in-all very well-executed parody.
Posted: Tue, 8th Apr 2008, 10:00pm

Post 11 of 61

Atom

Force: 4300 | Joined: 9th May 2004 | Posts: 7014

EffectsLab Lite User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Serpent wrote:

4/5 simply for the reaction you got out of Ben and Atom, which I knew would happen when I saw the sig. smile
What reaction? smile I was more than willing to let him parody us.
Posted: Tue, 8th Apr 2008, 11:43pm

Post 12 of 61

FreshMentos

Force: 1667 | Joined: 10th Jun 2006 | Posts: 1141

VisionLab User MacOS User

Gold Member

I was really eager to see this when I saw your sig. The camera work was quite good in some parts, except for the exaggerated shakiness wink. The grading was very good in it's own way. Not only did I laugh my ass off, but I think it's your guy's best work yet. The ending was priceless too.

Oh, and to Atom and Ben, don't worry. I still think your films are outstanding wink

And I agree with Tarn, let's see some more parodies of other popular films in the cinema!
Posted: Wed, 9th Apr 2008, 1:16am

Post 13 of 61

Jabooza

Force: 2743 | Joined: 21st Jul 2006 | Posts: 1446

VisionLab User VideoWrap User FXpreset Maker FXhome Movie Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

FreshMentos wrote:

I think it's your guy's best work yet.
Wow, thanks FreshMentos. Although, I personally consider Avenged to be our best work thus far.
Posted: Wed, 9th Apr 2008, 2:49am

Post 14 of 61

Serpent

Force: 5426 | Joined: 26th Dec 2003 | Posts: 6515

CompositeLab Pro User EffectsLab Pro User FXhome Movie Maker FXpreset Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

Atom wrote:

Serpent wrote:

4/5 simply for the reaction you got out of Ben and Atom, which I knew would happen when I saw the sig. smile
What reaction? smile I was more than willing to let him parody us.
OK, fine, it was more ben's reaction I suppose. The word count on that wall of text would cover a few college application essays at least. smile
Posted: Wed, 9th Apr 2008, 3:18am

Post 15 of 61

ben3308

Force: 5210 | Joined: 24th May 2004 | Posts: 6433

VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Eh, read the 'wall of text', then, it's that length for a reason (and such is not to be coercive ad nauseum).

On another note, I've sent you a PM.

And Jabooza, don't be angry just because your best work yet is only that good because it borrows stuff from our best stuff. biggrin
Posted: Wed, 9th Apr 2008, 3:56am

Post 16 of 61

Serpent

Force: 5426 | Joined: 26th Dec 2003 | Posts: 6515

CompositeLab Pro User EffectsLab Pro User FXhome Movie Maker FXpreset Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

*Only read this if you are ben or are remotely interested in this exchange*

ben3308 wrote:

Eh, read the 'wall of text', then, it's that length for a reason (and such is not to be coercive ad nauseum).
I read the wall of text. No reaction at all would have been fine, a short thing would have been fine, your wall of text is fine. But not one of those is necessary, I'm just commenting on it and I think it's funny. Your reaction to my post is just as humorous to me. Your massive PM wasn't necessary either. Just get over it. You are so ridiculous. I didn't insult you once. I didn't make the goddamn parody, I just thought it was funny.

Because I am nice, I am not going to quote your arrogant PM. Let's just say, it's another wall of text. Ben, I've always liked your movies, your movies are always well received. Just get over yourself. If you take it to the next level, I will paste your PM because I will want to humiliate you. I don't care about how you feel afterwards because you are being a huge ass over nothing. Not once did I say you suck, or that this parody points out your suckiness, I just find your reactions amusing. If you were on the other end of it, you would too. Just step away from the keyboard and recollect. You need to be more secure and less arrogant. The fact that you started your PM with "this might sound arrogant" should be a clue that you should rethink what you are about to tell me. I am one of the biggest haters and critics of your arrogant posting habits in the cinema forum. You are taking my post completely wrong, and Atom certainly didn't.

About your whole problem with parodies, this parody, you being ridiculed (which you really aren't until you hit the submit button on your posts), I don't care.

And I am going to quote this because I find it disgusting, and again, I don't care.

"I genuinely despise the fact that simply because someone made fun of me and I found it offensive they are successful."

This isn't successful because you found it offensive, it's successful because it was a humorous parody. Your arrogance has blinded you. My post wasn't sincere, you know I would never rate a film based on a post in a topic. I was kidding. My one vote doesn't make a film successful, how it is received makes it successful.

Consider this my response to your PM, I'll keep to private messaging. I find your lack of maturity disturbing, and for Jabooza's sake, I ask you to also keep it to PM's and away from his (glorious) thread.

</walloftext>
Posted: Wed, 9th Apr 2008, 4:06am

Post 17 of 61

ben3308

Force: 5210 | Joined: 24th May 2004 | Posts: 6433

VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

*sigh*

I didn't completely enjoy the parody, you said something about my response, I responded with a PM. Let's leave it at that.

I edited this because....well it's not like anyone was going to read it.

Last edited Wed, 9th Apr 2008, 4:30am; edited 1 times in total.

Posted: Wed, 9th Apr 2008, 4:11am

Post 18 of 61

Atom

Force: 4300 | Joined: 9th May 2004 | Posts: 7014

EffectsLab Lite User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

In whoever's defense, that's quite a harsh statement, Serpent.

And let's not combine Jabooza and Darth Penguin to the point where it becomes like me and Ben.

Darth Penguin submitted this, he asked me for permission. As far as I'm concerned, it's his piece of work and he did a good job; if only a slightly uneven one. But hey, that's the parody business for you. Nobody expects Epic Movie to be anything like The Chronicles of Narnia, right?

I'd just like to give the lot of Jabooza and Darth Penguin credit, as I don't want to see DP overlooked or coupled with someone else. (As you'll see has a tendency to happen when you make movies together. smile) Past that, keep your personal quips to yourself or reserve them for where they're asked to be.

One thing in this that I was hoping to see, though, was more of a parody of the editing; as it's my part aside from the majority of writing. (which seems to be a large part of this smile) Big booming noises and moody music were things I was hoping to grin at that weren't there.

But otherwise, again, a clever little piece, if not a little premature. smile
Posted: Wed, 9th Apr 2008, 4:25am

Post 19 of 61

ben3308

Force: 5210 | Joined: 24th May 2004 | Posts: 6433

VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

EDITED Yahh Trick, Yahh!

As for the film, I'll save myself grief and say this overall: it was extremely clever. The overall product wasn't pitch-perfect, as I said before- there could've been a foreboding intro, that would've been the icing on the cake- but the parody is still very strong. Whether or not I think the content is slanted or not is, as I have learned, a bit of a misnomer, as that's precisely what parody is.

Exactly why Scary Movie 3 can be hilarious while The Ring can still exist as a good movie.

I forgot to rate it last time, but I give it a 3/5, much like Atom, not because it didn't 'work' for me but because a. it wasn't the genuine article, just a secondary copy biggrin and b. it lacked a bit of polish. Reason (a) is something you can't avoid but (b) is certainly something to work on for the future.

EDIT2:

Another thing I forgot to mention that I think others did is that this parody has many of the same mise-en-scene qualities of the source material, which is great. The cigarette, the note, the placement of the actors as far as segway from Messages to Cover's Story to Marathon goes, and the wardrobe changes all fit the same arrangements of the original movies. This is probably what I enjoyed the most out of the parody.
Posted: Wed, 9th Apr 2008, 11:27am

Post 20 of 61

Xcession

Force: 42802 | Joined: 21st Mar 2001 | Posts: 1964

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 3 Pro User Windows User

SuperUser

Rating: +1

Ben3308: You have reached your segways[sic]-per-thread limit.

segway [sic] credits can be purchase from the FXhome store.

Last edited Wed, 9th Apr 2008, 2:26pm; edited 1 times in total.

Posted: Wed, 9th Apr 2008, 12:00pm

Post 21 of 61

Coureur de Bois

Force: 1394 | Joined: 23rd Sep 2002 | Posts: 1127

VideoWrap User Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

Xcession wrote:

Ben3308: You have reached your segways-per-thread limit.

"segway" credits can be purchase from the FXhome store.
Didn't I already go over this with Atom?
Posted: Wed, 9th Apr 2008, 12:36pm

Post 22 of 61

Bryce007

Force: 1910 | Joined: 5th Apr 2003 | Posts: 2609

VideoWrap User Windows User

Gold Member

I wish there hadn't been a voice over. It wasn't subtle at all, and basically undercut the cleverness.

The camera work and smoking were hilarious though. Especially when he starts jogging, and the camera just goes NUTS. That got an audible laugh out of me.
Posted: Wed, 9th Apr 2008, 12:40pm

Post 23 of 61

Simon K Jones

Force: 27955 | Joined: 1st Jan 2002 | Posts: 11683

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 5 Pro User MuzzlePlug User PowerPlug User PhotoKey 3 Plug-in User FXhome Movie Maker FXpreset Maker Windows User

FXhome Team Member

Bryce007 wrote:

I wish there hadn't been a voice over. It wasn't subtle at all, and basically undercut the cleverness.
I disagree. A voiceover is an integral part of what Atom and Ben do - especially with Messages currently riding the charts. Not having the voiceover would be like Airplane without the pilots getting sick. razz

Holding the 'reveal' until halfway through I thought worked really well - for the first half I thought Penguin was actively trying to copy the Atomic style. When he revealed that he was actually taking the piss, it worked brilliantly.
Posted: Wed, 9th Apr 2008, 1:46pm

Post 24 of 61

Sollthar

Force: 13360 | Joined: 30th Oct 2001 | Posts: 6094

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 2 Pro User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User MacOS User

SuperUser

Hehehehehehe.

The best moment of this was

"making movies that are confusing enough to disguise the fact they don't really have a plot" followed by BANG and a random guy getting shot.

That made me actually laugh out loud. Brilliant.

5/5 for comedy value, 3/5 for technical execution, so a solid 4 in my book.


From my view, Sollthar has just been asking for it for years...
Bring it on. wink
Posted: Wed, 9th Apr 2008, 2:17pm

Post 25 of 61

pixelboy

Force: 3000 | Joined: 13th Feb 2005 | Posts: 439

VisionLab User VideoWrap User FXpreset Maker FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Hah, I quite enjoyed this biggrin Somewhat short, but certainly an effective parody. The technical qualities are generally solid as well. Not perhaps quite as much "polish" as Atom and Ben's stuff tends to have, but it's enough to work - and more than many of the films here in the Cinema.
4/5 from me, good job, guys biggrin

Sollthar wrote:


From my view, Sollthar has just been asking for it for years...
Bring it on. wink
Now that would be fun..."TurriCast", perhaps? smile
Posted: Wed, 9th Apr 2008, 2:23pm

Post 26 of 61

Simon K Jones

Force: 27955 | Joined: 1st Jan 2002 | Posts: 11683

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 5 Pro User MuzzlePlug User PowerPlug User PhotoKey 3 Plug-in User FXhome Movie Maker FXpreset Maker Windows User

FXhome Team Member

pixelboy wrote:

Not perhaps quite as much "polish" as Atom and Ben's stuff tends to have, but it's enough to work - and more than many of the films here in the Cinema.
That's actually a good point. Despite being a spoof, the actual technical execution of this is pretty good, and a big step up for the Darth Penguin/Jabooza gang (sorry, I'm never sure who is who...).

Coupled with The Hunter, I'm quite excited about what you guys get up to next.
Posted: Wed, 9th Apr 2008, 2:24pm

Post 27 of 61

NickF

Force: 2726 | Joined: 4th Jun 2004 | Posts: 933

EffectsLab Pro User MacOS User FXhome Movie Maker

Gold Member

Short but sweet, I like it. *Insert what other people have said about the comedic value and technical efforts here*

Less one because it makes me sad knowing that even though winter is coming soon, we don't get snow here...

4/5

Xcession wrote:

Ben3308: You have reached your segways-per-thread limit.

"segway" credits can be purchase from the FXhome store.
...as in segway or segue?

Edit: It should actually have been directed at Ben's post above yours, X, I just couldn't be bothered to read the "wall of text" wink

Speaking of segues...

About the less one star and the snow stuff... It's not true... But there is room for improvement (for everyone) and I'm waiting for something better (don't take this the wrong way, I liked this, but I know you haven't reached your pinnacle yet smile)
Posted: Wed, 9th Apr 2008, 3:19pm

Post 28 of 61

Jabooza

Force: 2743 | Joined: 21st Jul 2006 | Posts: 1446

VisionLab User VideoWrap User FXpreset Maker FXhome Movie Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

Thanks for the comments everyone!


Tarn wrote:

Despite being a spoof, the actual technical execution of this is pretty good, and a big step up for the Darth Penguin/Jabooza gang (sorry, I'm never sure who is who...).

Coupled with The Hunter, I'm quite excited about what you guys get up to next.
Heh, it's easy to get us confused. We pretty much just take turns submitting movies into the cinema, we both (along with Darth Penguin's brother) have pretty equal parts in making all of our movies, except the Hobo movies, which are mostly DP's.
About what's coming next, now that summer's approaching and the weather's warming up, we're gonna start making a lot more movies. It's nice to hear that you see us improving. smile
Speaking of The Hunter, people probably don't know much about it, since we've been hyping this movie instead of that one. It's pretty much just a quick comedic gun fight test, it just arrived in the cinema and can be viewed here.


Digerati Media wrote:

it makes me sad knowing that even though winter is coming soon, we don't get snow here...
LUCKY! Don't feel too sad, the snow gets old after a while. The snow you saw in this movie was pretty much the last of the snow of our five-month winter... in fact, it's quite nice to actually be able to see the ground now. smile


-Jabooza
Posted: Wed, 9th Apr 2008, 3:51pm

Post 29 of 61

Penguin

Force: 852 | Joined: 17th May 2006 | Posts: 560

EffectsLab Pro User FXpreset Maker FXhome Movie Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

First of all, I'm really glad everybody likes this. This is a better reception than we could have hoped for, especially from Ben and Atom themselves (although I haven't, obviously, seen Ben's PM, but I don't want to get into that).

Atom wrote:

And let's not combine Jabooza and Darth Penguin to the point where it becomes like me and Ben.
Yes, it is somewhat annoying that people attribute movies submitted in my account to Jabooza, but in this case, we both did an equal amount of work on it. And some credit also should go to Colby, the main actor, who doesn't have an FXhome account (well, he does, but his post total is uh... one smile )

Tarn wrote:

Despite being a spoof, the actual technical execution of this is pretty good, and a big step up for the Darth Penguin/Jabooza gang (sorry, I'm never sure who is who...).

Coupled with The Hunter, I'm quite excited about what you guys get up to next.
Yeah, I think in terms of technicals, this is probably at least as good as Avenged (which Jabooza already mentioned) although I still prefer that, since it's an original movie and not just a rip off of someone else's work. You can expect a few more movies from us this summer if everything works out as planned, hopefully including a more serious drama.

Digetari Media wrote:

Less one because it makes me sad knowing that even though winter is coming soon, we don't get snow here...
Winter... coming? Wha- oh you live in Australia never mind smile Snow has its benefits and its drawbacks though; it looks great on camera, but is near impossible to trudge through to get footage razz

By the way, SilverDragon7, we can put up a .mov if there is enough demand for one. To the CyberDuck Jabooza!
Posted: Wed, 9th Apr 2008, 4:34pm

Post 30 of 61

CX3

Force: 3137 | Joined: 1st Apr 2003 | Posts: 2527

EffectsLab Lite User VideoWrap User MacOS User FXhome Movie Maker

Gold Member

This was brilliant. 5/5 from me. And I agree with sollthar; the "making movies that are confusing enough to disguise the fact they don't really have a plot" followed by BANG and a random guy getting shot" had me laughing so hard its not even funny.



Also: I for one would like to see some more parodies of FXhomers' works.
We'd like to step up to the plate on that one ha

EDIT:
2. The original source must have been successful at what it was trying to do, otherwise the parody itself would never have worked.
Not necessarily
Posted: Wed, 9th Apr 2008, 6:30pm

Post 31 of 61

Simon K Jones

Force: 27955 | Joined: 1st Jan 2002 | Posts: 11683

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 5 Pro User MuzzlePlug User PowerPlug User PhotoKey 3 Plug-in User FXhome Movie Maker FXpreset Maker Windows User

FXhome Team Member

Hehehehe. I'd forgotten all about that. It's still utter genius, CX3. smile

2005....jeez. Where's it all go??
Posted: Wed, 9th Apr 2008, 6:34pm

Post 32 of 61

Serpent

Force: 5426 | Joined: 26th Dec 2003 | Posts: 6515

CompositeLab Pro User EffectsLab Pro User FXhome Movie Maker FXpreset Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

@CX3: I've had that on my iPod/iTunes since you posted it, best moment ever.

@Confusing DP and Jabooza, I saw Jabooza's sig with the title in it, so that's just where my mind went. I've never done this in the past (I think, and if I have, I'll try to get it straight in the future). So, apologies.
Posted: Wed, 9th Apr 2008, 7:16pm

Post 33 of 61

CX3

Force: 3137 | Joined: 1st Apr 2003 | Posts: 2527

EffectsLab Lite User VideoWrap User MacOS User FXhome Movie Maker

Gold Member

Hah, yea I know it doesn't even seem like that long ago. My FXhome 5 year anniversary was last week. cry
Posted: Wed, 9th Apr 2008, 8:14pm

Post 34 of 61

Zephlon

Force: 2282 | Joined: 28th Jun 2005 | Posts: 254

VisionLab User FXpreset Maker FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

I am giving you a 3/5. In terms of movie making (assuming when the name atomic productions is mentioned i think its a terrorist group of some sort) the ending sucked. but then again I think that is what you where going for? so I remain confused in what the rating should have been. although funny, production wasn't amazing, so i find my self lost, much like an American squirrel bequested with rabies and suddenly thrown into the open fields of Africa?

Props on the title.
Posted: Wed, 9th Apr 2008, 9:59pm

Post 35 of 61

Jabooza

Force: 2743 | Joined: 21st Jul 2006 | Posts: 1446

VisionLab User VideoWrap User FXpreset Maker FXhome Movie Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

Zephlon - have you watched any of Ben and Atom's (of Atomic Products) movies? If not, I can see why you didn't understand this, because this was a parody of their movies. smile


Movies from Atomic, which this one is parodying:
Messages
Marathon
Redemption
Cover's Story
Posted: Thu, 10th Apr 2008, 5:52pm

Post 36 of 61

Zephlon

Force: 2282 | Joined: 28th Jun 2005 | Posts: 254

VisionLab User FXpreset Maker FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Jabooza- It was kind of a joke post. I have been on FXhome for over 2 years, in that time its very impossible not to have seen any of The Adam's Bro's stuff.

But in all seriousness, the ending was one of those ending where you left the "out point" in the wrong place when you pushed render button.
Posted: Thu, 10th Apr 2008, 6:04pm

Post 37 of 61

Jabooza

Force: 2743 | Joined: 21st Jul 2006 | Posts: 1446

VisionLab User VideoWrap User FXpreset Maker FXhome Movie Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

Zephlon wrote:

But in all seriousness, the ending was one of those ending where you left the "out point" in the wrong place when you pushed render button.
That's a bit of an odd analogy. smile I'm not sure I get what you're saying. The ending was abrupt, we did it like that on purpose. Much as this post's ending is abrupt.
Posted: Fri, 11th Apr 2008, 1:00am

Post 38 of 61

Mr Pencil

Force: 396 | Joined: 8th Jul 2004 | Posts: 367

Windows User

Member

I am SO jealous.

This is hilarious. 4/5.
Posted: Fri, 11th Apr 2008, 1:03am

Post 39 of 61

Bryce007

Force: 1910 | Joined: 5th Apr 2003 | Posts: 2609

VideoWrap User Windows User

Gold Member

Rating: +1/-1

Anyone else think this video is a direct reference to this one?


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQ7JuUADoCk
Posted: Fri, 11th Apr 2008, 1:49am

Post 40 of 61

Atom

Force: 4300 | Joined: 9th May 2004 | Posts: 7014

EffectsLab Lite User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Bryce007 wrote:

Anyone else think this video is a direct reference to this one?


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQ7JuUADoCk
Goddammit. smile
Posted: Fri, 11th Apr 2008, 8:24am

Post 41 of 61

NickF

Force: 2726 | Joined: 4th Jun 2004 | Posts: 933

EffectsLab Pro User MacOS User FXhome Movie Maker

Gold Member

Bryce, getting kind of old, isn't it?
Posted: Fri, 11th Apr 2008, 9:26am

Post 42 of 61

Bryce007

Force: 1910 | Joined: 5th Apr 2003 | Posts: 2609

VideoWrap User Windows User

Gold Member

Digerati Media wrote:

Bryce, getting kind of old, isn't it?
No need to be Australian about it. I've never seen anyone pull the Rick Roll here @ FXhome. My advice: Hahden the **** up, mate smile
Posted: Fri, 11th Apr 2008, 10:38am

Post 43 of 61

NickF

Force: 2726 | Joined: 4th Jun 2004 | Posts: 933

EffectsLab Pro User MacOS User FXhome Movie Maker

Gold Member

Bryce007 wrote:

Digerati Media wrote:

Bryce, getting kind of old, isn't it?
No need to be Australian about it. I've never seen anyone pull the Rick Roll here @ FXhome. My advice: Hahden the **** up, mate smile
Kids these days... smile

I actually don't mind the music I just think it's dumb.
Posted: Fri, 11th Apr 2008, 10:41am

Post 44 of 61

Simon K Jones

Force: 27955 | Joined: 1st Jan 2002 | Posts: 11683

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 5 Pro User MuzzlePlug User PowerPlug User PhotoKey 3 Plug-in User FXhome Movie Maker FXpreset Maker Windows User

FXhome Team Member

You guys just completely lost me. What are you on about?
Posted: Fri, 11th Apr 2008, 10:53am

Post 45 of 61

NickF

Force: 2726 | Joined: 4th Jun 2004 | Posts: 933

EffectsLab Pro User MacOS User FXhome Movie Maker

Gold Member

The link six posts above this one.
Posted: Fri, 11th Apr 2008, 10:53am

Post 46 of 61

Simon K Jones

Force: 27955 | Joined: 1st Jan 2002 | Posts: 11683

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 5 Pro User MuzzlePlug User PowerPlug User PhotoKey 3 Plug-in User FXhome Movie Maker FXpreset Maker Windows User

FXhome Team Member

Digerati Media wrote:

The link six posts above this one.
Yes, but...what's Rick Astley got to do with anything?
Posted: Fri, 11th Apr 2008, 10:54am

Post 47 of 61

NickF

Force: 2726 | Joined: 4th Jun 2004 | Posts: 933

EffectsLab Pro User MacOS User FXhome Movie Maker

Gold Member

I've just had enough of people doing dumb things and trying to make topics get off topic (like this invariably has)
Posted: Sun, 13th Apr 2008, 8:15pm

Post 48 of 61

Klut

Force: 2120 | Joined: 16th Apr 2004 | Posts: 1585

VisionLab User FXpreset Maker Windows User MacOS User FXhome Movie Maker

Gold Member

I laughed.
Posted: Sun, 13th Apr 2008, 10:25pm

Post 49 of 61

Fill

Force: 1257 | Joined: 1st Jul 2005 | Posts: 1652

CompositeLab Lite User EffectsLab Lite User Windows User

Gold Member

I just got a chance to see this. I would have commented earlier, but my internet has been having problems. I actually busted out laughing in this movie. A very well done parody. The over use of the word 'paradox' was well executed. Great job on this guys.

I also laughed at Ben's reaction to this, and ultimately Bryce's Rick Roll. He's right; there have hardly been any Rick Rolls on this forum.

4/5.
Posted: Mon, 14th Apr 2008, 1:30am

Post 50 of 61

ben3308

Force: 5210 | Joined: 24th May 2004 | Posts: 6433

VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Besides movies that take years to make, like Project One, BTL, or NightCast, few movies get over two pages of comments.

As the fourth page on this thread is almost complete, you guys best be glad you parodied us of all people, our swinging controversy always brings the critics out of the woodwork! biggrin
Posted: Mon, 14th Apr 2008, 7:04pm

Post 51 of 61

Penguin

Force: 852 | Joined: 17th May 2006 | Posts: 560

EffectsLab Pro User FXpreset Maker FXhome Movie Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

Yeah... maybe to get attention for our future movies we should name them all after movies that you guys have done, no matter what they're about. All By His PBJ, Barbie Delight, Madison Street Cell, that kind of thing smile
Posted: Tue, 15th Apr 2008, 7:19am

Post 52 of 61

B3N

Force: 3081 | Joined: 26th Feb 2006 | Posts: 1534

VisionLab User VideoWrap User FXpreset Maker Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

Heh, well this was pretty decent. The camerawork was pretty a pretty funny comparison to the adam bros, the grading wasn't contrasted enough though! The acting was pretty good also but the whole parody style of things was pulled of greatly, sadly I didn't chuckle but instead smiled. smile

Good job, now your skills are increasing try creating something of your own wink
Posted: Tue, 15th Apr 2008, 2:04pm

Post 53 of 61

Jabooza

Force: 2743 | Joined: 21st Jul 2006 | Posts: 1446

VisionLab User VideoWrap User FXpreset Maker FXhome Movie Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

B3N wrote:

the grading wasn't contrasted enough though!
Heh, any more contrast and I'm not sure you'd be able to see anything anymore. smile

B3N wrote:

Good job, now your skills are increasing try creating something of your own wink
Thanks, but again, I do consider Avenged to be our best. smile
Posted: Sat, 3rd May 2008, 11:29pm

Post 54 of 61

cooldude

Force: 600 | Joined: 21st Mar 2005 | Posts: 132

CompositeLab Pro User EffectsLab Pro User Windows User

Gold Member

thouroughly enjoyed this. In fact, i even showed my friends the real movies and then this one so they could have a good laugh too wink

good work
Posted: Sun, 4th May 2008, 12:18am

Post 55 of 61

ben3308

Force: 5210 | Joined: 24th May 2004 | Posts: 6433

VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

What'd they think of the real movies? wink
Posted: Sun, 4th May 2008, 11:15am

Post 56 of 61

drspin98

Force: 470 | Joined: 14th May 2005 | Posts: 438

CompositeLab Pro User EffectsLab Pro User Windows User

Gold Member

I pretty much dislike parodies by amateur film makers. The vast majority of them are films that hide behind "humor" as a way to cover up the creator's lack of skill/talent/equipment/technicals, etc. Any bad film making is simply passed off as "Oh it supposed to be crappy because that's the funny part...." That, and I find VERY few of them at all humorous.

Having said that, I can think of no bigger tribute than being parodied. I would say that that is a sign of "making it", of being seen as profoundly "relevant"-at least in the venue that it is shown in.

Film makers here (and in general) don't crank out film 2 or 3 a week. That's because we all know that it takes a considerable amount of time/effort. To devote that and one's creative energies to such a project-now that is a compliment to one's work.

How flattered you must be.
Posted: Tue, 6th May 2008, 5:44pm

Post 57 of 61

Jabooza

Force: 2743 | Joined: 21st Jul 2006 | Posts: 1446

VisionLab User VideoWrap User FXpreset Maker FXhome Movie Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

drspin98 wrote:

I pretty much dislike parodies by amateur film makers. The vast majority of them are films that hide behind "humor" as a way to cover up the creator's lack of skill/talent/equipment/technicals, etc. Any bad film making is simply passed off as "Oh it supposed to be crappy because that's the funny part...." That, and I find VERY few of them at all humorous.

Having said that, I can think of no bigger tribute than being parodied. I would say that that is a sign of "making it", of being seen as profoundly "relevant"-at least in the venue that it is shown in.

Film makers here (and in general) don't crank out film 2 or 3 a week. That's because we all know that it takes a considerable amount of time/effort. To devote that and one's creative energies to such a project-now that is a compliment to one's work.

How flattered you must be.
You seem to have failed to comment on this specific movie and instead are talking to Ben and Atom about how it must feel to be parodied.
Does that mean we fall into the "Oh it supposed to be crappy because that's the funny part...." category? smile


-Jabooza
Posted: Wed, 7th May 2008, 4:26am

Post 58 of 61

Brett Plank

Force: 311 | Joined: 11th Oct 2006 | Posts: 16

EffectsLab Pro User FXhome Movie Maker

Gold Member

I seriously thought this was horrible.
Posted: Wed, 7th May 2008, 4:36am

Post 59 of 61

ben3308

Force: 5210 | Joined: 24th May 2004 | Posts: 6433

VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

BP Productions, have you seen the sources of the parody?

My group made them, and the subjects of satire are:

Messages
Marathon
Redemption
Cover's Story

I dunno if anyone can really appreciate a parody if they don't first watch the source of the joke! biggrin
Posted: Wed, 7th May 2008, 1:12pm

Post 60 of 61

Penguin

Force: 852 | Joined: 17th May 2006 | Posts: 560

EffectsLab Pro User FXpreset Maker FXhome Movie Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

BP Productions wrote:

I seriously thought this was horrible.
Thanks for the input smile Any particular reason why you thought it was horrible?
Posted: Wed, 7th May 2008, 2:13pm

Post 61 of 61

drspin98

Force: 470 | Joined: 14th May 2005 | Posts: 438

CompositeLab Pro User EffectsLab Pro User Windows User

Gold Member

Jabooza- Actually I thought it was very well done. I certainly was not referring to this effort in my anti-parody statement.

I really liked how the kid clumsily smokes his cig too fast. The VO guy did great (I tend to be hyper-critical of them). I think the ending could have been a little smoother-but overall-very nice (and yes, I must admit-funny)