You are viewing an archive of the old fxhome.com forums. The community has since moved to hitfilm.com.

Canon HV20 - On Clearance at Circuit City

Posted: Tue, 17th Jun 2008, 7:56pm

Post 1 of 29

Super Cameraman

Force: 430 | Joined: 25th May 2003 | Posts: 242

Windows User

Gold Member

Walked in to Circuit City today for a pleasant surprise, the Canon HV20 on clearance for $660. Is this a good deal for this camera? I hear only good things about it on this forum.

Also, if it is a good deal, is the camera really worth getting? My birthday is tomorrow (woohoo) and I could get enough money for the HV20, or I could put the money towards a Macbook Pro. What do you think?
Posted: Tue, 17th Jun 2008, 8:26pm

Post 2 of 29

fxmaniac

Force: 1653 | Joined: 27th Feb 2007 | Posts: 801

VisionLab User Windows User

Gold Member

It is an awsome camera. Great Deal!!!
Posted: Tue, 17th Jun 2008, 8:28pm

Post 3 of 29

D3L3T10N

Force: 317 | Joined: 23rd Jun 2007 | Posts: 472

CompositeLab Pro User FXhome Movie Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

Two words:

Great. Deal.

$660 is almost $80 cheaper than I got it for, which was also a couple hundred dollars cheaper that its original price due to the release of the HV30 (total rip off by the way). Anyway, I would get the camera. Its well worth the price.

EDIT: Curse you and your quick replies fxmaniac!
Posted: Tue, 17th Jun 2008, 9:06pm

Post 4 of 29

Super Cameraman

Force: 430 | Joined: 25th May 2003 | Posts: 242

Windows User

Gold Member

Besides being HD (or HDV, which I still don't see the big difference) is it that much better than Panasonic's 3CCD PV-GS300? (Which, if you don't feel like Googling is a MiniDV standard def consumer camera by Panasonic that has 3 CCD's.)

EDIT: Also, I don't have HDMI inputs on my TV, only component. But the TV's is 1080i apparently, although we do nothing HD with it ever. Would I still be able to connect it?
Posted: Tue, 17th Jun 2008, 10:11pm

Post 5 of 29

SilverDragon7

Force: 2265 | Joined: 29th Jun 2006 | Posts: 1990

VisionLab User VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Super Cameraman wrote:

Also, I don't have HDMI inputs on my TV, only component. But the TV's is 1080i apparently, although we do nothing HD with it ever. Would I still be able to connect it?
It doesn't matter is the camera is Hd and the TV isn't (or vice-versa)... But yes, through the component slots you will still see the video on the camera.
Posted: Wed, 18th Jun 2008, 12:33am

Post 6 of 29

Super Cameraman

Force: 430 | Joined: 25th May 2003 | Posts: 242

Windows User

Gold Member

Will it still be in hi definition? As you can tell, I am very new to HD. (Or HDV, whatever)
Posted: Wed, 18th Jun 2008, 12:45am

Post 7 of 29

SilverDragon7

Force: 2265 | Joined: 29th Jun 2006 | Posts: 1990

VisionLab User VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Well if your just watching it from camera-to-TV, then I don't know- probably not... But importing to your computer you will need a Firewire (or IEEE) cable for it to be HDV.
Posted: Wed, 18th Jun 2008, 1:19am

Post 8 of 29

Super Cameraman

Force: 430 | Joined: 25th May 2003 | Posts: 242

Windows User

Gold Member

Well I have a firewire port/cable. Does Premiere Pro (7.0) work well with HDV?

Also, I've been reading a lot of reviews, and while the majority of them are 8-10 out of 10 ratings, a few were pretty low, saying that battery life is pretty bad and that low light shooting is also pretty bad. Do the pros outweigh the cons?
Posted: Wed, 18th Jun 2008, 2:01am

Post 9 of 29

enoonsti

Force: 50 | Joined: 16th Nov 2007 | Posts: 97

Member

Super Cameraman wrote:


battery life is pretty bad and that low light shooting is also pretty bad.
Battery life seems OK to me, but I haven't filmed anything for a while (so my memory might be fading) nor am I the toughest critic around.

As for the low light shooting, there are some videos on Vimeo you might want to check out to help you decide: http://www.vimeo.com/videos/search:hv20_low_light

That being said, $660 sounds like a good deal. I got mine for just under $700, but it also included a tripod, some additional tapes, and other extras.
Posted: Wed, 18th Jun 2008, 2:26am

Post 10 of 29

EvilDonut

Force: 200 | Joined: 22nd Feb 2008 | Posts: 595

Member

also means it's cheaper on ebay now.

d
Posted: Wed, 18th Jun 2008, 6:35pm

Post 11 of 29

Super Cameraman

Force: 430 | Joined: 25th May 2003 | Posts: 242

Windows User

Gold Member

OH man. So. Circuit City is all out, BUT they have the floor model for $419! I'm going down there right now to see if it comes with a battery or a return policy, warranty, etc. I've handled the floor model before... it's pretty beat up if I can remember correctly, but I'm going to look at it right now. Hopefully I'll be able to clean it up.

(Now that I think about it, it does seem kind of gross. It's like... sub used.)
Posted: Wed, 18th Jun 2008, 6:55pm

Post 12 of 29

fxmaniac

Force: 1653 | Joined: 27th Feb 2007 | Posts: 801

VisionLab User Windows User

Gold Member

D3L3T10N wrote:

EDIT: Curse you and your quick replies fxmaniac!
biggrin My mad ninja typing skills win again smile
Posted: Wed, 18th Jun 2008, 7:27pm

Post 13 of 29

SilverDragon7

Force: 2265 | Joined: 29th Jun 2006 | Posts: 1990

VisionLab User VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Super Cameraman wrote:

Well I have a firewire port/cable. Does Premiere Pro (7.0) work well with HDV?
Yes.
Posted: Wed, 18th Jun 2008, 8:28pm

Post 14 of 29

Super Cameraman

Force: 430 | Joined: 25th May 2003 | Posts: 242

Windows User

Gold Member

Well I just came home with the camera, so far everything looks good. Might have to clean it, and get the sticker residue of it. (It has some big barcode on it) But the good news is that it only cost $530 WITH a 2 year warranty plan. I don't usually fall for these plans, but this things probably been abused so I don't want to risk anything.

And it came with all the cables, battery, and the manual, but no box. Just a bag. Let's hope it was worth it!
Posted: Wed, 18th Jun 2008, 8:39pm

Post 15 of 29

Bryan M Block

Force: 2260 | Joined: 9th Jul 2002 | Posts: 1505

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User

Gold Member

Super Cameraman wrote:

Well I just came home with the camera, so far everything looks good. Might have to clean it, and get the sticker residue of it. (It has some big barcode on it) But the good news is that it only cost $530 WITH a 2 year warranty plan. I don't usually fall for these plans, but this things probably been abused so I don't want to risk anything.

And it came with all the cables, battery, and the manual, but no box. Just a bag. Let's hope it was worth it!
Let me put into perspective that around 2000 (about 8 years ago) I paid more than that for a Sony "Digital 8" camcorder...
Posted: Wed, 18th Jun 2008, 9:12pm

Post 16 of 29

Super Cameraman

Force: 430 | Joined: 25th May 2003 | Posts: 242

Windows User

Gold Member

So it turns out, my computer doesn't seem to be powerful enough to capture and edit HDV video. It captures, but it won't preview while it captures (unless this is normal for HDV, I'm used to DV) and the videos will not play without starting and stopping. But the image quality looks great! The lens is much bigger than my previous camera and it really makes a difference. I was taping myself and I noticed that without even zooming in or getting that close the camera, the background was blurred, making for a very professional looking shot.

Is the video supposed to preview in the capture window in Premiere? It's not.
Posted: Thu, 19th Jun 2008, 8:15am

Post 17 of 29

Dead Iris

Force: 1329 | Joined: 24th Jul 2007 | Posts: 199

VisionLab User VideoWrap User Windows User

Gold Member

For about 100$ more, I got an HV30. So, yeah it sounds good to me. I have seent hem sell for as low as 350$ on ebay though.
Posted: Thu, 19th Jun 2008, 2:32pm

Post 18 of 29

D3L3T10N

Force: 317 | Joined: 23rd Jun 2007 | Posts: 472

CompositeLab Pro User FXhome Movie Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

Super Cameraman wrote:

So it turns out, my computer doesn't seem to be powerful enough to capture and edit HDV video. It captures, but it won't preview while it captures (unless this is normal for HDV, I'm used to DV) and the videos will not play without starting and stopping. But the image quality looks great! The lens is much bigger than my previous camera and it really makes a difference. I was taping myself and I noticed that without even zooming in or getting that close the camera, the background was blurred, making for a very professional looking shot.

Is the video supposed to preview in the capture window in Premiere? It's not.
This is normal. It should end up okay in the end. This has happened with me, where the preview has stopped and started, and been behind the camera. But as long as there are no dropped frames, which your editing app should alert you to, then your captured clips should turn out fine once you have imported them.
Posted: Thu, 19th Jun 2008, 4:51pm

Post 19 of 29

Super Cameraman

Force: 430 | Joined: 25th May 2003 | Posts: 242

Windows User

Gold Member

It's not that the preview is behind the camera. DV does that anyway, just turn the volume on the camera off and ignore the screen and it's fine. But with the HV20 the preview screen is totally black. It does record perfectly fine though. I'd just like to be able to see it on a bigger screen.

Also, 24P is really confusing me. I've read a few threads over at HV20.com about how it's not really 24P because it interlaces frames anyway... How can I make it 24P? Is it worth the hassle?
Posted: Thu, 19th Jun 2008, 9:13pm

Post 20 of 29

D3L3T10N

Force: 317 | Joined: 23rd Jun 2007 | Posts: 472

CompositeLab Pro User FXhome Movie Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

The 24p interlacing problem really depends on your editing system. I don't know about premiere, but in Final cut express, once you import your video, it automatically optimizes the project settings so that they are compatible with your footage. If you set your project settings for 24 fps and progressive scan, you shouldn't have this problem, but if the settings have been set wrong, premiere could interlace your video and create extra frames to simulate 30 fps, which is bad. As for your first question, sorry I'm no help, but I obviously don't use Premiere.
Posted: Fri, 20th Jun 2008, 12:55am

Post 21 of 29

Super Cameraman

Force: 430 | Joined: 25th May 2003 | Posts: 242

Windows User

Gold Member

Okay, so I'm going to give up on 24p for a while. Every time I try it ends up being 24i but in all honesty, just deinterlacing 60i in post looks good to me.
Posted: Fri, 20th Jun 2008, 2:11am

Post 22 of 29

EvilDonut

Force: 200 | Joined: 22nd Feb 2008 | Posts: 595

Member

Super Cameraman wrote:

It's not that the preview is behind the camera. DV does that anyway, just turn the volume on the camera off and ignore the screen and it's fine. But with the HV20 the preview screen is totally black. It does record perfectly fine though. I'd just like to be able to see it on a bigger screen.

Also, 24P is really confusing me. I've read a few threads over at HV20.com about how it's not really 24P because it interlaces frames anyway... How can I make it 24P? Is it worth the hassle?
You can't.

24p means it SAMPLES 24 individual frames per second. HV20 doesn't do that. It gives you 24 frames, but not exactly all from the same point in time. I don't think Canon's ever really described their 24f formula.

For most people - they can't tell a diff - so i wouldn't sweat it.

d
Posted: Fri, 20th Jun 2008, 2:51am

Post 23 of 29

Merrick

Force: 1067 | Joined: 12th Apr 2007 | Posts: 548

CompositeLab Pro User EffectsLab Pro User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

I can't believe it. I read this thread yesterday and went to my Circuit City to see if they were on clearence, and now I own an HV20 for $400. I love it!

Just a couple of queshtions that I'm too lazy to reasearch: Does turning on Cine Mode automatically activate the 24fps function? And can I record in HD but capture as SD?
Posted: Sat, 21st Jun 2008, 2:57am

Post 24 of 29

EvilDonut

Force: 200 | Joined: 22nd Feb 2008 | Posts: 595

Member

Merrick World wrote:

I can't believe it. I read this thread yesterday and went to my Circuit City to see if they were on clearence, and now I own an HV20 for $400. I love it!

Just a couple of queshtions that I'm too lazy to reasearch: Does turning on Cine Mode automatically activate the 24fps function? And can I record in HD but capture as SD?
I went today and saw it for $549 here in la. I'll try another place tomorrow.

d
Posted: Sat, 21st Jun 2008, 3:48am

Post 25 of 29

Super Cameraman

Force: 430 | Joined: 25th May 2003 | Posts: 242

Windows User

Gold Member

Merrick- No, you have to go into the menu.

I was reading the HV20 forum and found out a really neat trick to get really nice looking 30p footage. Put the camera on 60i (That's just it's normal framerate) and set it to TV and put the shutter speed on 30. Now, even though the camera is recording 30 interlaced frames per second, each frame is separate and has no interlacing because the shutter is only opening 30 times a second. Try it! I really like it! It gives it more of a film look, even if it isn't 24 frames per second.
Posted: Sat, 21st Jun 2008, 4:34am

Post 26 of 29

D3L3T10N

Force: 317 | Joined: 23rd Jun 2007 | Posts: 472

CompositeLab Pro User FXhome Movie Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

Merrick World wrote:

Does turning on Cine Mode automatically activate the 24fps function? And can I record in HD but capture as SD?
Cine Mode decreases contrast, increases brightness, etc., to make your footage look more like it was shot on film, regardless of the fps. To get to 24p mode, you have you go into menu, then go down to the bottom of the box that comes up, select that, and go to the second option down from that. If I'm right (I'm on a trip and I don't have my camera with me), there should be an option titled "HD Mode" or something similar. In this you can select DV, DV widescreen, HD, or HD 24p. As for your second question, I don't believe you can, but you can record in SD.
Posted: Sun, 29th Jun 2008, 8:06pm

Post 27 of 29

Anne

Force: 50 | Joined: 8th Aug 2006 | Posts: 217

Windows User

Member

I checked out Circuit City, Best Buy, and Wolf Camera today to see if they had an HV20s on clearance... Only Wolf Camera did, and it was $650 (and it was the display! They don't give display discounts, which I think is ridiculous)... Are there any other common chain-stores that I should check out to see if they have the HV20? Thanks.
Posted: Sun, 29th Jun 2008, 8:51pm

Post 28 of 29

D3L3T10N

Force: 317 | Joined: 23rd Jun 2007 | Posts: 472

CompositeLab Pro User FXhome Movie Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

Anne wrote:

I checked out Circuit City, Best Buy, and Wolf Camera today to see if they had an HV20s on clearance... Only Wolf Camera did, and it was $650 (and it was the display! They don't give display discounts, which I think is ridiculous)... Are there any other common chain-stores that I should check out to see if they have the HV20? Thanks.
I know that Circuit City--at least here in St. Louis--has a price matching policy. I would try to find a good price online, then go to Circuit City and see if they'll match it. That's how I got mine for so cheap. (But not $400 Merrick you're so lucky!)
Posted: Sun, 29th Jun 2008, 9:09pm

Post 29 of 29

Anne

Force: 50 | Joined: 8th Aug 2006 | Posts: 217

Windows User

Member

Unfortunately, Circuit City and Best Buy were both completely out of the HV20s. Otherwise, I would definitely try that!

I would go for the $650 HV20 at WolfCamera, but I dont know if I could justify that purchase when I know that I could get an HV30 for $725 online. Choices, choices....