You are viewing an archive of the old fxhome.com forums. The community has since moved to hitfilm.com.

Smallville super speed tutorial

Posted: Sun, 6th Jul 2008, 7:13pm

Post 1 of 10

FXhomer58407

Force: 400 | Joined: 6th Jul 2008 | Posts: 3

CompositeLab Pro User

Gold Member

Hi
I am considering buying this app and have seen any excellent movies doing the super speed. I have seen one tutorial to get the blur bot nothing to get the actual speed and movement. Is there any out there than can help

Thanks
Posted: Sun, 6th Jul 2008, 8:57pm

Post 2 of 10

PSFreak

Force: 110 | Joined: 25th Aug 2007 | Posts: 138

Windows User MacOS User

Member

First just speed the clip up to make it appear that the actor is super fast. Can be done with both windows movie maker and imovie. Then You can add the blur in effectslab or composite lab.
Posted: Sun, 6th Jul 2008, 9:31pm

Post 3 of 10

FXhomer58407

Force: 400 | Joined: 6th Jul 2008 | Posts: 3

CompositeLab Pro User

Gold Member

Thanks for that but the clips I have seen are speeding up, stopping then speeding up again - there was a tutorial on you toube but i canot find it any more
Posted: Sun, 6th Jul 2008, 11:10pm

Post 4 of 10

pixelboy

Force: 3000 | Joined: 13th Feb 2005 | Posts: 439

VisionLab User VideoWrap User FXpreset Maker FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Easy enough - just split the clip up into the ones you want to be sped up and the one you want to be normal speed. For example, if you wanted to have the character run at superspeed, slow down, then superspeed again, you'd make three separate clips, and speed up the first and third ones. Otherwise, some editing software allows you to adjust the speed up and down over the length of one clip, which would be simpler. Another tip: if you're using a shot where the background is moving, be sure to film a separate background plate set to normal speed, and composite the sped up clip(s) of the character over it using a garbage matte or mask. Otherwise, your background will speed up as well. Hope that helps biggrin
Posted: Mon, 7th Jul 2008, 12:43am

Post 5 of 10

FXhomer46784

Force: 493 | Joined: 24th Dec 2007 | Posts: 329

EffectsLab Pro User Windows User

Gold Member

pixelboy wrote:

Otherwise, some editing software allows you to adjust the speed up and down over the length of one clip, which would be simpler.
For example, Sony Vegas, Adobe Premiere, and Final Cut (and yes, this is a lot easier if you want a smooth transition).



You can also speed up/slow down clips in Vision/Composite/Effects Lab for the entire timeline by changing the framerate of your project (but this isn't the method i'd recommend)
Posted: Mon, 7th Jul 2008, 1:20am

Post 6 of 10

pixelboy

Force: 3000 | Joined: 13th Feb 2005 | Posts: 439

VisionLab User VideoWrap User FXpreset Maker FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

FXhomer46784 wrote:

You can also speed up/slow down clips in Vision/Composite/Effects Lab for the entire timeline by changing the framerate of your project (but this isn't the method i'd recommend)
Actually, you can also adjust the speed of individual clips in the Lab products, by right-clicking on them in the timeline and selecting "Set Speed."
Posted: Mon, 7th Jul 2008, 1:30am

Post 7 of 10

FXhomer46784

Force: 493 | Joined: 24th Dec 2007 | Posts: 329

EffectsLab Pro User Windows User

Gold Member

pixelboy wrote:

FXhomer46784 wrote:

You can also speed up/slow down clips in Vision/Composite/Effects Lab for the entire timeline by changing the framerate of your project (but this isn't the method i'd recommend)
Actually, you can also adjust the speed of individual clips in the Lab products, by right-clicking on them in the timeline and selecting "Set Speed."
That's true too...
Posted: Mon, 7th Jul 2008, 5:25pm

Post 8 of 10

FXhomer58407

Force: 400 | Joined: 6th Jul 2008 | Posts: 3

CompositeLab Pro User

Gold Member

pixelboy wrote:

Easy enough - just split the clip up into the ones you want to be sped up and the one you want to be normal speed. For example, if you wanted to have the character run at superspeed, slow down, then superspeed again, you'd make three separate clips, and speed up the first and third ones. Otherwise, some editing software allows you to adjust the speed up and down over the length of one clip, which would be simpler. Another tip: if you're using a shot where the background is moving, be sure to film a separate background plate set to normal speed, and composite the sped up clip(s) of the character over it using a garbage matte or mask. Otherwise, your background will speed up as well. Hope that helps biggrin
Thanks for that how do you do it in premier ??
Posted: Mon, 7th Jul 2008, 7:32pm

Post 9 of 10

pixelboy

Force: 3000 | Joined: 13th Feb 2005 | Posts: 439

VisionLab User VideoWrap User FXpreset Maker FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Well, I've no real experience with Premiere, so I'm not sure. I believe the feature is called "Time Remapping", so you might try looking that up in Premiere's Help file.
Posted: Mon, 7th Jul 2008, 8:07pm

Post 10 of 10

FXhomer46784

Force: 493 | Joined: 24th Dec 2007 | Posts: 329

EffectsLab Pro User Windows User

Gold Member

It is called Time Remapping. You can find it in the effects tab in the preview window (right underneath "motion" i think). You can keyframe the effect for a smooth transition.

If you're using a background plate, that goes on video track 1 and the speed isn't adjusted. The take that you speed up then goes on video track 2 and you 'time remap' and add garbage mattes to this one as needed.

Garbage Mattes can be found in the video effects folder (in "keying" i think).