You are viewing an archive of the old fxhome.com forums. The community has since moved to hitfilm.com.

E3 2008

Posted: Mon, 14th Jul 2008, 6:18pm

Post 1 of 77

Serpent

Force: 5426 | Joined: 26th Dec 2003 | Posts: 6515

CompositeLab Pro User EffectsLab Pro User FXhome Movie Maker FXpreset Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

It's that time of year again. smile This thread will be for all E3 discussion. Let's leave flaming and whatnot out of this.

First announcement:

1:1 Motion Controls on Wii accessory: http://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/detail/eMMuRj_N6vntHPDycCJAKWhEO9zBvyPH

Let's just say I've soiled my pants. Here's hoping for some kind of Zelda or Star Wars game (or something similar) announced during Nintendo press conference.

Then Microsoft's is going on right now, they're talking about X-Box live revamped-but I'm hoping for some game announcements or material from their developer teams. With the current incredible lineup, I'm definitely going to get a 360 at some point soon.

These new avatar "Mii" things on X-Box live are really kind of silly for their target audience.


EDIT: Follow the Expo here with all the live conferences and info here:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=326462





BANJO on XBox lived arcade. YAY. (Was hoping for Nintendo VC, but ah well, there are emulators for that.)

If you are watching the conference, Microsoft is trying to be Sony and Nintendo too with Eye Toy, and appeal to old people with everyone laughing on a couch over Scene It! using a remote device to answer questions. Congrats Micro$oft. Stick with your hardcore gaming audience...


XD FF13 for 360... Used to be PS3 exclusive. Poor Sony, goddamn.
Posted: Mon, 14th Jul 2008, 7:09pm

Post 2 of 77

Jabooza

Force: 2743 | Joined: 21st Jul 2006 | Posts: 1446

VisionLab User VideoWrap User FXpreset Maker FXhome Movie Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

The new motion thingy for the Wii is best Wii related news I've heard since the Wii launched. Now the Wii Remote will finally deliver the accuracy I expected back before it came out. Now, let's see if they actually make any good games that make use of it... I rather doubt they will though. It seems that almost the only ideas anybody-Nintendo included-can come with to make use of the Wii Remote are small cartoonish 2-D mini-games, that clearly don't take much effort to make, yet they still get away with selling them for $40+. Although I can't say I'm very interested in either the PS3 or X-Box 360 either.
Here's hoping for some good games that take advantage of the Wii Remote, and for that matter, the console.

On another note (that I was reminded of by the picture of the Wii Remote), that new grip thing for the Wii Remote that came out a while ago (that's become rather official) is extremely ugly. I don't know what would make Nintendo actually make those hideous things, let alone incorporate them into the Wii Remote's official design.


-Jabooza
Posted: Mon, 14th Jul 2008, 7:35pm

Post 3 of 77

Serpent

Force: 5426 | Joined: 26th Dec 2003 | Posts: 6515

CompositeLab Pro User EffectsLab Pro User FXhome Movie Maker FXpreset Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

Jabooza wrote:

The new motion thingy for the Wii is best Wii related news I've heard since the Wii launched. Now the Wii Remote will finally deliver the accuracy I expected back before it came out.
Exactly what I thought. smile

Nintendo has delivered fantastic games for the Wii though, even though they are slow to come out.

EDITwithexamples: Twilight Princess, Brawl, Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3, Mario Kart (not my thing; but it's fun, competitive, and online is good--I have fun with this with a group of friends for a limited amount of time), Strikers, Battalion Wars. Remember, Nintendo is just one company. None of these games (besides MP3) really use the Wiimote all that well, but still some good stuff.

3rd and 2nd party support is horrible. The Wii's lineup is extremely disappointing so far, but I hope this E3 changes that. There are some decent games, but the only great games are made by Nintendo. I'm extremely picky when it comes to games, I don't really play games that often (besides Melee and Brawl). Hopefully something will happen.

The new grip is indeed ugly. The Wiimote is plenty ergonomic, it's just unnecessary. If you want to use it, go right ahead. But I agree: Nintendo shouldn't be advertising their beautiful hardware with that thing on it.

I'm still giddy over FF13. I am a huge anti-Sony person. I got my MGS fix when my friend let us borrow his PS3 when he was out of town, that's all I need. FF13 was their last huge exclusive. BluRay is their only hope.

EDIT2: This E3, I'm looking for stuff on Disaster, Animal Crossing, and Pikmin Wii. The last two are just speculation, but either would be cool. Then of course, I'm hoping for something HUGE (Zelda plz, TP was designed for GCN, we need a Zelda for this gen).
Posted: Mon, 14th Jul 2008, 7:48pm

Post 4 of 77

Jabooza

Force: 2743 | Joined: 21st Jul 2006 | Posts: 1446

VisionLab User VideoWrap User FXpreset Maker FXhome Movie Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

Serpent wrote:

Nintendo has delivered fantastic games for the Wii though, even though they are slow to come out.
Yeah you're right, Nintendo has made a lot of good Wii games. It's just that Nintendo has also made a lot of not-so-great ones like everyone else. I hope they don't stop delivering good ones, even if they do come slow.


Serpent wrote:

Then of course, I'm hoping for something HUGE (Zelda plz, TP was designed for GCN, we need a Zelda for this gen).
Zelda would indeed be awesome. As if TP wasn't good enough, a Zelda designed specifically for Wii from start to finish would be really amazing.
Posted: Mon, 14th Jul 2008, 7:49pm

Post 5 of 77

PSFreak

Force: 110 | Joined: 25th Aug 2007 | Posts: 138

Windows User MacOS User

Member

I was really disappointed with microsoft sad Hopefully better news from nintendo smile
Posted: Mon, 14th Jul 2008, 7:51pm

Post 6 of 77

SilverDragon7

Force: 2265 | Joined: 29th Jun 2006 | Posts: 1990

VisionLab User VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

The Wiimote thing is pretty cool, but my brother is more of a Wii player than myself, a hardcore-type Xbox-er... On that note...

Mii type avatars, are f**king serious? It's like Microsoft people were sitting around and said

Microsoft employee 1: "Hey guys, lets take the Wii Miis and put them on our console with better grafics!"

Microsoft employee 2: "Hey, good idea! But instead of Miis lets call them avatars!"

(All employees mumble in agreement)

And then the next day...

Microsoft employee 1: "Now that we've started work on our new Avatars lets make a new wireless motion sensor controler."


/RANT

Anyway... I just can't wait for some of the games, mostly Gears of War 2, Splinter Cell: Conviction and Halo Wars...

Also- another singing game? Is that not why we have Rock Band? But, I suppose it is diffrenet cause you can record your own song... ohhhhhhhhhhhh...

:EDIT:

Thought I'd add a little more to my Microsoft rant... How about they stop still other ideas and fix there god da*m hardware?

Also, Pikmin Wii? Awesome.

:EDIT2: Thought I'd add that I agree with serpent on 2nd and 3rd party Wii games, they just ain't up to par with Nintendo's.
Posted: Mon, 14th Jul 2008, 9:36pm

Post 7 of 77

Aculag

Force: 8365 | Joined: 21st Jun 2002 | Posts: 8581

EffectsLab Lite User VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

Serpent wrote:

If you are watching the conference, Microsoft is trying to be Sony and Nintendo too with Eye Toy, and appeal to old people with everyone laughing on a couch over Scene It! using a remote device to answer questions. Congrats Micro$oft. Stick with your hardcore gaming audience...

XD FF13 for 360... Used to be PS3 exclusive. Poor Sony, goddamn.
Whatever, man. These are just more reasons that I don't need to buy a PS3 or Wii. Come on, BluRay add-on! wink
Posted: Mon, 14th Jul 2008, 10:06pm

Post 8 of 77

Serpent

Force: 5426 | Joined: 26th Dec 2003 | Posts: 6515

CompositeLab Pro User EffectsLab Pro User FXhome Movie Maker FXpreset Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

razz

Aculag wrote:

Come on, BluRay add-on! wink
God I hope so. I really don't want to ever be tempted to buy a PS3 again.
Posted: Mon, 14th Jul 2008, 10:11pm

Post 9 of 77

SketchWork

Force: 2065 | Joined: 11th May 2007 | Posts: 386

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 2 Pro User MuzzlePlug User PowerPlug User Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

Rock Band 2 - Yarrr!!!!
Posted: Mon, 14th Jul 2008, 10:15pm

Post 10 of 77

Fill

Force: 1257 | Joined: 1st Jul 2005 | Posts: 1652

CompositeLab Lite User EffectsLab Lite User Windows User

Gold Member

Well, while we're talking MS and Sony trash here, I might as well add that I was talking to a developer of a game company(I forget which one) and he said that the 360 has now hit the peak of its capabilities, while the PS3's capabilities are just now starting to be recognized.

Anyway, Serpent you're dead on. We need a lightsaber game for the Wii! Also, did you really expect Microsoft to completely ignore motion sensing? Besides, the avatar thing makes sense, because not that many people have the XBox Vision or whatever it's called. Now, if Microsoft was smart, they'd let Bioware create the thing, and base it off of MASS EFFECT's character creator. That would be badass. biggrin I'll stop dreaming now, haha.
Posted: Mon, 14th Jul 2008, 10:49pm

Post 11 of 77

SilverDragon7

Force: 2265 | Joined: 29th Jun 2006 | Posts: 1990

VisionLab User VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Fill wrote:

Besides, the avatar thing makes sense, because not that many people have the XBox Vision or whatever it's called.
Right, but the Xbox has always been for the move hardcore gamer (as Serpent said) but I think they're trying to become more family friendly, that's why there is the Wii system.

Serpent wrote:

Aculag wrote:

Come on, BluRay add-on! wink
God I hope so. I really don't want to ever be tempted to buy a PS3 again.
This is the one, one reason I didn't go out and buy a PS3. I don't want to pay $600 for a Blu-ray player because I'm never gonna get Blu-ray DVDs.
Posted: Mon, 14th Jul 2008, 11:14pm

Post 12 of 77

Jabooza

Force: 2743 | Joined: 21st Jul 2006 | Posts: 1446

VisionLab User VideoWrap User FXpreset Maker FXhome Movie Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

SilverDragon7 wrote:

This is the one, one reason I didn't go out and buy a PS3. I don't want to pay $600 for a Blu-ray player because I'm never gonna get Blu-ray DVDs.
Erm, but a PS3 (at least the cheaper version) is actually slightly cheaper than a Blu-Ray player and plays Blu-Ray discs. So, are you saying that you didn't want to get a PS3 because it has a Blu-Ray player? If you didn't think you were gonna use the Blu-Ray player I still don't see why you wouldn't have gotten a PS3 if you really wanted one. They don't make you use the Blu-Ray player or anything, and since a Blu-Ray player costs more than a PS3, it's almost like buying a Blu-Ray player and getting everything else that the PS3 has for free, or vise-versa.

By the way - you wouldn't get Blu-Ray discs if you owned a Blu-Ray player?! What's wrong with you? biggrin
Posted: Mon, 14th Jul 2008, 11:16pm

Post 13 of 77

Fill

Force: 1257 | Joined: 1st Jul 2005 | Posts: 1652

CompositeLab Lite User EffectsLab Lite User Windows User

Gold Member

SilverDragon7 wrote:

I think they're trying to become more family friendly, that's why there is the Wii system.
Well, you know Microsoft. They don't want to beat the competition, they want to destroy (buy) them.
Posted: Mon, 14th Jul 2008, 11:30pm

Post 14 of 77

SilverDragon7

Force: 2265 | Joined: 29th Jun 2006 | Posts: 1990

VisionLab User VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

It's more that the Blu-ray player jaked up the price of the PS3, because if that wasn't a feature then it probably would have been around $400 for the highest priced one now. And Sony makes Blu-Ray DVD players, that's most likely the reason the cheapest PS3 is the price it is.

:EDIT: Also, I wouldn't get Blu-Ray DVDs because they are double regular DVDs (or at least in my local stores).

Fill wrote:

Well, you know Microsoft. They don't want to beat the competition, they want to destroy (buy) them.
This is very true.
Posted: Tue, 15th Jul 2008, 12:22am

Post 15 of 77

Serpent

Force: 5426 | Joined: 26th Dec 2003 | Posts: 6515

CompositeLab Pro User EffectsLab Pro User FXhome Movie Maker FXpreset Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

Funny, two companies that will never be bought are Apple and Nintendo. smile Microsoft doesn't really need to worry about competing with the Wii. The Wii is selling like mad, but as is the 360. They are very different beasts. And then the PS3 is just failing miserably. razz But now they are looking like fools trying to get the market Nintendo has controlled. That whole press conference was embarrassing and gimmicky (except the glorious FF13 part). Hell, they even tried to capture the audience that Nintendo has control over, using a method Sony used SEVERAL years ago (Eye Toy), and failed with. I don't follow their strategy...

Also, there is no motion controller from Micro$oft, don't know where you guys are getting that if I'm understanding you properly.
Posted: Tue, 15th Jul 2008, 8:37am

Post 16 of 77

Simon K Jones

Force: 27955 | Joined: 1st Jan 2002 | Posts: 11683

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 5 Pro User MuzzlePlug User PowerPlug User PhotoKey 3 Plug-in User FXhome Movie Maker FXpreset Maker Windows User

FXhome Team Member

Serpent wrote:

The Wii is selling like mad, but as is the 360. They are very different beasts. And then the PS3 is just failing miserably. razz
I thought the PS3 was doing quite well now? And that the 360 was slipping away a bit?

I think in the long run the Wii will saturate the market and sales will slow drastically (not that it'll matter as they've done so well already), the 360 will just kinda inevitably fizzle out, and the PS3 will soldier on and end up being the main survivor of this round.

Not that I particularly care, as I don't have any of them. smile

Moving away from boring talk about hardware...

The new Prince of Persia is looking more and more intriguing. Combined with the MMOG 'Love', it's quite cool to see games that are trying to mimic the look of concept art. How often have you seen game concept art and been amazed, only to see the final in-game render and be severely let down? Trying to make the in-game stuff resemble more a hand-crafted look is an interesting way to go. Same reason I liked Team Fortress 2 last year, which had a very illustrative art design.

Dragon Age could go either way. The promise of a George RR Martin hardcore fantasy game sounds awesome, but the trailer and screens all look like a fairly generic mix of Lord of the Rings and any Standard Medieval Fantasy Game.

Stalker: Clear Sky is looking pretty cool, though there seems to be far too much dodgy dialogue. The new lighting effects are pretty, though, and should help the series retain its position as The Most Atmospheric Game Ever Made Despite Its Technical Shoddiness.

I haven't had time to check out Fallout 3, but I'm looking forward to watching the new vids this lunchtime. Although the primary reaction to them so far seems to be a loud 'meh'...

I'm mainly looking forward to Valve's Left 4 Dead stuff...and hoping that they'll reveal something about HL2:episode 3.
Posted: Tue, 15th Jul 2008, 1:44pm

Post 17 of 77

SilverDragon7

Force: 2265 | Joined: 29th Jun 2006 | Posts: 1990

VisionLab User VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Serpent wrote:

Also, there is no motion controller from Micro$oft, don't know where you guys are getting that if I'm understanding you properly.
From that link you posted in the first post...
Posted: Tue, 15th Jul 2008, 2:09pm

Post 18 of 77

Simon K Jones

Force: 27955 | Joined: 1st Jan 2002 | Posts: 11683

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 5 Pro User MuzzlePlug User PowerPlug User PhotoKey 3 Plug-in User FXhome Movie Maker FXpreset Maker Windows User

FXhome Team Member

Having seen the L4D presentation.....woo! Nice explosion!
Posted: Tue, 15th Jul 2008, 3:26pm

Post 19 of 77

Serpent

Force: 5426 | Joined: 26th Dec 2003 | Posts: 6515

CompositeLab Pro User EffectsLab Pro User FXhome Movie Maker FXpreset Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

SilverDragon7 wrote:

Serpent wrote:

Also, there is no motion controller from Micro$oft, don't know where you guys are getting that if I'm understanding you properly.
From that link you posted in the first post...
You mean the link from Nintendo.com? Or are you talking about the information post from a miscellaneous video game forum?

Either way, neither are from Microsoft.

EDIT: and on the forum topic, there is no mention of motion sensing, other than under Nintendo, and the microphone that can tell if you shake it (a feature available in Rock Band already with the guitars).


Tarn wrote:

Serpent wrote:

The Wii is selling like mad, but as is the 360. They are very different beasts. And then the PS3 is just failing miserably. razz
I thought the PS3 was doing quite well now? And that the 360 was slipping away a bit?

I think in the long run the Wii will saturate the market and sales will slow drastically (not that it'll matter as they've done so well already), the 360 will just kinda inevitably fizzle out, and the PS3 will soldier on and end up being the main survivor of this round.
In worldwide sales, the PS3 is behind. It's doing fairly well in Europe, though. My word choice of "failing" was more mocking. And the 360 sales may not be as much as they used to be, but overall it's above the PS3 by quite a margin with a few big games to come (the PS3 now has no exclusive major sellers on the way). And this slow in 360 sales is understandable, it came out 3 years ago. And it's still beating the PS3 in worldwide sales now (the PS3 passed it a couple months in Europe, and one month in 2007).

EDIT2: Also forgot to mention, 360 fails in Japan, obviously. 360 is really catered to Western market with mostly Western FPS and RPGs, as well as sports etc. So I didn't bring that up when comparing the two. Overall sales are what count.
Posted: Tue, 15th Jul 2008, 5:15pm

Post 20 of 77

film freak

Force: 1353 | Joined: 18th Sep 2004 | Posts: 1109

Windows User MacOS User

Member

I cannot believe it. I missed the whole conference. sad

http://wii.ign.com/articles/889/889593p1.html

To those who did watch it, was there any videos or anything for Animal Crossing: City Folk?
Posted: Tue, 15th Jul 2008, 5:19pm

Post 21 of 77

Serpent

Force: 5426 | Joined: 26th Dec 2003 | Posts: 6515

CompositeLab Pro User EffectsLab Pro User FXhome Movie Maker FXpreset Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

film freak wrote:

I cannot believe it. I missed the whole conference. sad

http://wii.ign.com/articles/889/889593p1.html

To those who did watch it, was there any videos or anything for Animal Crossing: City Folk?
There was a lot of Animal Crossing footage. And Wii Sports Resort 1:1 controls looked very promising for that accessory.

However that was it. The conference sucked horribly. Hopefully Pikmin 3 will be in a press release at the very least. But there was really...nothing. How damn disappointing, I thought they'd do something special with software. Press releases are next though.

Animal Crossing looks great though.
Posted: Tue, 15th Jul 2008, 5:30pm

Post 22 of 77

FreshMentos

Force: 1667 | Joined: 10th Jun 2006 | Posts: 1141

VisionLab User MacOS User

Gold Member

film freak wrote:

I cannot believe it. I missed the whole conference. sad

http://wii.ign.com/articles/889/889593p1.html

To those who did watch it, was there any videos or anything for Animal Crossing: City Folk?
I just finished watching it (I've got IGN insider) and I was very disappointed. But to answer your question, yes there was a whole segment on Animal Crossing. It looks quite cool especially because Nintendo also showed off their solution to voice chat. But that was probably the biggest announcement in the show. I'm not counting the WiiMotion Plus because we already knew about it.

They didn't show off Kid Icarus, a storage solution, or anything else that would have made me scream with excitement.

Ehhhh, I guess we'll have to wait until the Nintendo Summit this Fall for something interesting.

E3 is dead, I don't know why it's still being attended.
Posted: Tue, 15th Jul 2008, 5:40pm

Post 23 of 77

Serpent

Force: 5426 | Joined: 26th Dec 2003 | Posts: 6515

CompositeLab Pro User EffectsLab Pro User FXhome Movie Maker FXpreset Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

FreshMentos wrote:

(I've got IGN insider)
IGN Livewire had the live feed available to everyone. smile

I like the professional direction they took E3 to, but I hate that it's scaled down.

But even when E3 was big, there were sucky press conferences. That was Nintendo's fault, not E3's. Unfortunately E3 is still the venue for big announcements (and I suppose GDC is another).
Posted: Tue, 15th Jul 2008, 6:09pm

Post 24 of 77

FreshMentos

Force: 1667 | Joined: 10th Jun 2006 | Posts: 1141

VisionLab User MacOS User

Gold Member

Serpent wrote:

FreshMentos wrote:

(I've got IGN insider)
IGN Livewire had the live feed available to everyone. smile
True, but I had larger scale video with less compression! smile Not that it mattered though, the conference sucked horribly. The only reason why I own a Wii at this point is because I can play Brawl, Galaxy, and the next Zelda or Mario.

Someone from the IGN message boards brought up a great point though. The press conference was not meant to cater us "core" gamers. It was for larger press like Reuters or AP that would direct they're news to nongamers.

I think we'll see more interesting Wii games on the show floor. Personally I'm incredibly stoked for Resident Evil 5 because RE4 was one of the best games I've ever played. The co-op looks fantastic as well. Then I'm also excited for Far Cry 2 and Rock Band 2 (did anyone see the track list for that game?!)

With the announcement of the WiiMotion+ I keep thinking to myself how cool a Metal Gear Solid built from the ground up for the Wii would be.
Posted: Tue, 15th Jul 2008, 7:17pm

Post 25 of 77

SilverDragon7

Force: 2265 | Joined: 29th Jun 2006 | Posts: 1990

VisionLab User VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Serpent- your right, I went back and it doesn't same motion sensing... I probably said that through my frustration with Micro$oft's other dumbs**t.

Anyway... I didn't see the conference sad.
Posted: Tue, 15th Jul 2008, 11:25pm

Post 26 of 77

FreshMentos

Force: 1667 | Joined: 10th Jun 2006 | Posts: 1141

VisionLab User MacOS User

Gold Member

This pretty much sums up how the Nintendo conference went:






This was my reaction:




Nintendo really dropped the ball on this one...
Posted: Tue, 15th Jul 2008, 11:29pm

Post 27 of 77

B3N

Force: 3081 | Joined: 26th Feb 2006 | Posts: 1534

VisionLab User VideoWrap User FXpreset Maker Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

What...the hell FreshMentos.

The Xbox game line up looks good, but too many guns to be fair. As for Nintendo, I've kinda stopped following them. Dunno why, haven't been much of a gamer recently.
Posted: Tue, 15th Jul 2008, 11:41pm

Post 28 of 77

ben3308

Force: 5210 | Joined: 24th May 2004 | Posts: 6433

VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

B3N wrote:

The Xbox game line up looks good, but too many guns to be fair.
Silly other Ben, you can never have too many guns. biggrin
Posted: Wed, 16th Jul 2008, 12:02am

Post 29 of 77

Pooky

Force: 4834 | Joined: 8th Jul 2003 | Posts: 5913

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User MacOS User FXhome Movie Maker

Gold Member

Microsoft announced a special 360-exclusive edition of Portal with more levels, as well as the track list for the timed 360 exclusive Rock Band 2 (which rules, and includes AC/DC among other things), and a total revamp of their UI. They win.
Posted: Wed, 16th Jul 2008, 12:20am

Post 30 of 77

Aculag

Force: 8365 | Joined: 21st Jun 2002 | Posts: 8581

EffectsLab Lite User VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

Pooky wrote:

and a total revamp of their UI. They win.
Except for the fact that the new UI looks like generic crap...
Posted: Wed, 16th Jul 2008, 12:33am

Post 31 of 77

ben3308

Force: 5210 | Joined: 24th May 2004 | Posts: 6433

VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Can anyone post screens of the new UI? My LIVE connection ran out of weekly bandwidth in my dorm and I can't update.
Posted: Wed, 16th Jul 2008, 12:39am

Post 32 of 77

Frosty G

Force: 540 | Joined: 28th May 2005 | Posts: 640

EffectsLab Pro User Windows User

Gold Member

While its pretty fugly, I do like the idea of having group chatrooms and such. The idea of taking the party system out of the game and making it transportable between games or solely on the dash.


Also, I'm stoked for this netflix partnership, since I am already a member.
Posted: Wed, 16th Jul 2008, 2:03am

Post 33 of 77

ssj john

Force: 563 | Joined: 4th Nov 2003 | Posts: 795

Windows User MacOS User

Member

I'm more excited for Guitar Hero world tour than I am for rockband 2 to be honest. I like the way Guitar Hero plays and the drums for world tour come with actual raised symbols....Awesome!
Posted: Wed, 16th Jul 2008, 3:06am

Post 34 of 77

DigiSm89

Force: 815 | Joined: 2nd Jun 2002 | Posts: 1898

Windows User

Member

ben3308 wrote:

????pdn ?,u?? ? pu? ??op ?? u? ??p??pu?q ?l???? ?o ?no u?? uo????uuo? ???l ?? ¿?n ??u ??? ?o su????s ?sod ?uo?u? u??


??s?uo? ?q o? s??n??? ????s p???????d ??n? ???? plno? ????l os s?ool s?????? '?o?




??ld??s ????????unz pu? ???u?? ??p?? ?o ?? spu???? ?? ?p?q ?ll??? ?,us? ?n

Last edited Thu, 17th Jul 2008, 5:27pm; edited 2 times in total.

Posted: Wed, 16th Jul 2008, 5:11am

Post 35 of 77

Pooky

Force: 4834 | Joined: 8th Jul 2003 | Posts: 5913

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User MacOS User FXhome Movie Maker

Gold Member

Yeah I think it's an improvement but they could still have done much better. Avatars are definitely a joke, they look way too much like Miis and they're like a slap in the face to the Xbox's Hardcore gamer demographic.

The Guitar Hero vs Rock Band thing is a classic "Mac vs PC" type thing... it's a question of personal tastes. Rock Band's design goals are based entirely on fun and polish, while Guitar Hero is for competitive players who like to be challenged. Something of note is that the developers of Guitar Hero 1 and 2 are behind Rock Band, while another company (Neversoft/Activision) bought the rights to the Guitar Hero name and are behind Guitar Hero 3 and 4 (which is why it changed styles). Also, you can buy cymbals for the Rock Band 2 drums (they're like an alternative to the pads whose colour they share, which I prefer to the whole "ooh lookie more colours!" thing).

Something pretty awesome too: now you can load entire games to the Hard Drive. That would allow games like Oblivion and Mass Effect to suffer less from pop-in and all games to load faster (though that's all it's good for since you still have to keep the DVD in the drive to play just to be sure you own it).
Posted: Wed, 16th Jul 2008, 8:42am

Post 36 of 77

Simon K Jones

Force: 27955 | Joined: 1st Jan 2002 | Posts: 11683

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 5 Pro User MuzzlePlug User PowerPlug User PhotoKey 3 Plug-in User FXhome Movie Maker FXpreset Maker Windows User

FXhome Team Member

Rating: +1

FreshMentos wrote:

E3 is dead, I don't know why it's still being attended.
Maybe for you console chaps, but for PC gamers it's been a pretty nifty E3 so far with lots of interesting videos and info snippets.

Anyway, I'm updating my blog everyday with a look at another E3 game, starting off with Left 4 Dead:

http://potentialgamer.wordpress.com/

More to come.

p.s. The 360 avatars are hilarious. It's like they're specifically designed to antagonise the 360's stereotypical userbase of teenage, antisocial, illiterate, homophobic gun-obsessives. razz
Posted: Wed, 16th Jul 2008, 12:17pm

Post 37 of 77

Tim L

Force: 580 | Joined: 4th Aug 2006 | Posts: 297

Windows User

Member

Tarn wrote:

p.s. The 360 avatars are hilarious. It's like they're specifically designed to antagonise the 360's stereotypical userbase of teenage, antisocial, illiterate, homophobic gun-obsessives. razz
Yes. They all look like they eat healthy food and shower every day.

"Let's play some of that nifty new X-Box game after we get back from the library"
Posted: Wed, 16th Jul 2008, 2:00pm

Post 38 of 77

SilverDragon7

Force: 2265 | Joined: 29th Jun 2006 | Posts: 1990

VisionLab User VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

While the UI looks pretty decent, those avatars need to die. DIE.
Posted: Wed, 16th Jul 2008, 3:32pm

Post 39 of 77

Fill

Force: 1257 | Joined: 1st Jul 2005 | Posts: 1652

CompositeLab Lite User EffectsLab Lite User Windows User

Gold Member

Tarn wrote:

It's like they're specifically designed to antagonise the 360's stereotypical userbase of teenage, antisocial, illiterate, homophobic gun-obsessives. razz
Hahaha! You just nailed that stereotype on the head. Really, though it's starting to get kind of ridiculous. I only hook up to live nowadays just to download updates. I love them. I need to get Bring Down the Sky for Mass Effect, and I'm anxiously awaiting for the new Burnout Paradise update. Which by the way is probably the best Burnout game I've played. If you haven't had a chance to check it out, you should.

The only thing that really excited me about the new 360 interface is the Netflix. Maybe it's been out already, but I didn't know you could watch movies from there! That's kind of exciting, because my family just signed up for it.
Posted: Wed, 16th Jul 2008, 4:36pm

Post 40 of 77

Pooky

Force: 4834 | Joined: 8th Jul 2003 | Posts: 5913

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User MacOS User FXhome Movie Maker

Gold Member

By those standards, the Wii's userbase is comprised of soccer moms and small children, the PS3's is PS2 owners and misinformed console buyers, and the PC's is 20 year old diehards who only play fast-paced FPS and MMOs while guzzling Red Bull.

In other words, we all suck, so quit whining about the other guy's platform choice.

At any rate, Avatars still have the potential to be cool if the stuff you can dress them up in is imaginative. Stuff like chicken suits, Assassin's Creed robes, armor or giant wobbly hats.
Posted: Wed, 16th Jul 2008, 4:49pm

Post 41 of 77

Arktic

Force: 9977 | Joined: 10th Nov 2003 | Posts: 2785

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 2 Pro User FXhome Movie Maker FXpreset Maker Windows User MacOS User

SuperUser

Giant wobbly hats FTW!

But that UI looks really unoriginal. It's like the guys at Microsoft went "Gee, what's popular? The iTunes album cover thing! And aren't those Miis cool? Wouldn't it be great if there were Miis INSIDE the iTunes album cover thing?!"

(That, my fellow FXhomers, is exactly how creative development works. Fact.)

Cheers,
Arktic
Posted: Wed, 16th Jul 2008, 5:06pm

Post 42 of 77

jawajohnny

Force: 1965 | Joined: 14th Dec 2007 | Posts: 829

VisionLab User VideoWrap User MuzzlePlug User Windows User

Gold Member

Fill wrote:

We need a lightsaber game for the Wii!
http://www.lucasarts.com/games/theforceunleashed/
Posted: Wed, 16th Jul 2008, 5:55pm

Post 43 of 77

Thrawn

Force: 1995 | Joined: 11th Aug 2006 | Posts: 1962

CompositeLab Pro User EffectsLab Lite User FXhome Movie Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

You know, I was thinking of getting a 360 after E3, but these avatars are a joke. If I wanted a Mii, I would get a Wii... Arg...
Posted: Wed, 16th Jul 2008, 6:45pm

Post 44 of 77

ben3308

Force: 5210 | Joined: 24th May 2004 | Posts: 6433

VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Wait wait wait. Is the new UI required completely or is the 'blades' UI still usable in Dashboard. Tell me that's just a LIVE thing and not a whole XBOX thing.... neutral
Posted: Wed, 16th Jul 2008, 8:34pm

Post 45 of 77

Pooky

Force: 4834 | Joined: 8th Jul 2003 | Posts: 5913

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User MacOS User FXhome Movie Maker

Gold Member

Whole Xbox thing but apparently when you press the guide button, there's now a blades-type interface that comes up.
Posted: Wed, 16th Jul 2008, 8:47pm

Post 46 of 77

Hybrid-Halo

Force: 9315 | Joined: 7th Feb 2003 | Posts: 3367

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 3 Pro User MuzzlePlug User PowerPlug User FXpreset Maker Windows User MacOS User

SuperUser

Big fan of the New UI here, with a little bit of customisable options they could be fantastic - take Rock Band's customisable band member features for example, which catered to both people who wanted to look the part but also to people who just wanted to look as amusing as possible.

Is it any surprise that the examples we see are of MS staff who look oddly enough, like adults? Let's just be honest - the Wii Miis were a cool idea, and I'll be glad to have a similiar option via my 360. PS3 will have something similiar too when the online world function gets released. If ever. How big of a difference does this honestly make to a console when you know.. it plays games. Very little, so perhaps you could tone the dramatics down a little bit Thrawn wink

So, back to games - Gears of War 2 is looking pretty badass although it alone summarises console games which have my interest. Rock Band 2 being no great excursion into new grounds though a likely purchase considering I want new tracks, anyone who places anything Guitar Hero over something Rock Band is a fool - only one of those titles is being developed by a company built of musicians.

PC line up is looking interesting, Left 4 Dead still lined up to be the 'interesting' gaming experience for the year, though there are titles like Mirrors Edge, Dead Space and Project Origin which could still prove to be standout.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see!
Posted: Thu, 17th Jul 2008, 1:32am

Post 47 of 77

ssj john

Force: 563 | Joined: 4th Nov 2003 | Posts: 795

Windows User MacOS User

Member

Hybrid-Halo wrote:


Rock Band 2 being no great excursion into new grounds though a likely purchase considering I want new tracks, anyone who places anything Guitar Hero over something Rock Band is a fool - only one of those titles is being developed by a company built of musicians.
They may be a fool but have you seen the commercials for Guitar Hero 4? based upon 1. Guitar hero 3 has a better play list in my opinion than rock band.(I'm sorry but rockband without the DLC just didn't quite do it for me.) 2. They had Travis Barker and the drummer from red hot chili peppers help design the drum set for GH4 to be as realistic as possible to actual drumming. Rock band took one of those electronic drum sets you get at your music store and hooked it up to there playstation. I wouldn't say that Rockband is automatically better than Guitar hero 3 just because Harmonix made it. That is pretty weak argument considering that Guitar hero 3 is just as fun if not funner and just as hard if not harder to play then GH2 or rockband. So its not like the switch to activision was a complete failure. The only thing in my mind that had RockBand ahead of GH was the idea of a 4 man band. But, GH will be there too and they will do it well I think.

On another not, has anyone seen Rock Revolution its another Guitar hero/rockband wannabe but the drums have six pads? and the nots come straight down instead of at you, don't know how I would like that.
Posted: Thu, 17th Jul 2008, 2:50am

Post 48 of 77

PSFreak

Force: 110 | Joined: 25th Aug 2007 | Posts: 138

Windows User MacOS User

Member

gh3 makes rock band trash imo. The guitar's strum bar sucked, I don't like singing, and when you hit the drum with the sticks you can hear it from a mile away. Also no online, right? And making your own songs in gh4 looks a lot better than I thought. Anyways, they announced pikmin 3! Yay! No pics but its better than nothing...
Posted: Thu, 17th Jul 2008, 3:07am

Post 49 of 77

Pooky

Force: 4834 | Joined: 8th Jul 2003 | Posts: 5913

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User MacOS User FXhome Movie Maker

Gold Member

Just voicing my opinion here, as I'll end up buying Rock Band 2 and you'll end up buying Guitar Hero 4 anyway, but here's the thing:

Guitar Hero is a sellout. The trailers with band members only exist because said drummers were paid to be in it and endorse it, NOT because they helped design it (because they didn't... the Tony Hawk developers did). Also, they are only making a music game because their monolithic owner (Activision) bought the rights to the Guitar Hero name when it saw how huge a pile of cash it raked in. Everything is designed to sound great on paper, and sell well.

Rock Band is the opposite of that. The entire development team INVENTED every single thing about Rock games (they were behind Guitar Hero 1 and 2) and are nearly all musicians in real life. They know what to do, and what it's like, and they've been behind every single advancement in Rock music games since and including the day it was invented. Therefore, they aim for pure realism, fun, and polish. Not just something that looks good on paper. Everything in Rock Band 2 is polished to perfection with no rough edges, and following exactly what their fans asked for.

GH4 promises to deliver good DLC, but Rock Band already is delivering it. The music creator, if you've seen the numerous trailers that came out for it, looks generic and horrible to use, and it was pretty much the only thing going for GH4. Harmonix decided not to include one because they wanted to take the time to make it the right way, so that both beginners who just want to jam, and pros that want to fine tune can use it.

So.... yeah... I like Rock Band.

EDIT:

Posted: Thu, 17th Jul 2008, 9:24am

Post 50 of 77

Simon K Jones

Force: 27955 | Joined: 1st Jan 2002 | Posts: 11683

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 5 Pro User MuzzlePlug User PowerPlug User PhotoKey 3 Plug-in User FXhome Movie Maker FXpreset Maker Windows User

FXhome Team Member

Who is meant to be who in that cartoon?

Anyway, I've got my second preview up on my blog, this time about Mirror's Edge:

http://potentialgamer.com/2008/07/16/e3-highlights-mirrors-edge/
Posted: Thu, 17th Jul 2008, 1:50pm

Post 51 of 77

Fill

Force: 1257 | Joined: 1st Jul 2005 | Posts: 1652

CompositeLab Lite User EffectsLab Lite User Windows User

Gold Member

I've been watching some trailers and footage of Fallout 3. It truly looks awesome. The sense of humor in it reminds me a little of Portal.

Tarn, I agree with you about Mirror's Edge. It could go either way. I hope it's more skill based than automated. I think it will be awesome if they've made it well. There are a lot of wrong ways of making a game like that.
Posted: Thu, 17th Jul 2008, 1:58pm

Post 52 of 77

Simon K Jones

Force: 27955 | Joined: 1st Jan 2002 | Posts: 11683

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 5 Pro User MuzzlePlug User PowerPlug User PhotoKey 3 Plug-in User FXhome Movie Maker FXpreset Maker Windows User

FXhome Team Member

Yeah, I think Mirror's Edge has to either be a real revolution, or a massive disappointment. 'OK' simply won't cut it with this: it has to either nail and invent the FPP, or it'll fail. Bit like how Portal was either going to get the portal concept spot-on, or not. Thankfully, it hit the target - hopefully Dice will do the same.

As for Fallout 3, the two trailers have been really nice, if uninspired. Essentially just copies of the original Fallout 1 intro. The combat gameplay video they demoed the other day I thought was pretty awful, though - the environment looked utterly fantastic, but the actual combat, animation, weaponry...it all looked so clunky and uninspired, or simply badly implemented like the silly ragdoll.

In other words, it looks kinda like an RPG company desperately struggling to understand how to do a first person shooter, and failing miserably. As for the random 3rd person mini-cutscenes when you shoot people - what exactly is the point? Just to look 'cool'? That seems to be the only reason. All it really does it break the immersion and remind you that you're playing a game.
Posted: Thu, 17th Jul 2008, 6:01pm

Post 53 of 77

Fill

Force: 1257 | Joined: 1st Jul 2005 | Posts: 1652

CompositeLab Lite User EffectsLab Lite User Windows User

Gold Member

Tarn, I just found an opinion of a hands-on with Mirror's Edge.

Here is the article on Gamespot. This is beginning to sound more and more promising.
Posted: Thu, 17th Jul 2008, 9:34pm

Post 54 of 77

CX3

Force: 3137 | Joined: 1st Apr 2003 | Posts: 2527

EffectsLab Lite User VideoWrap User MacOS User FXhome Movie Maker

Gold Member

ssj john wrote:

That is pretty weak argument considering that Guitar hero 3 is just as fun if not funner and just as hard if not harder to play then GH2 or rockband.
Any hardcore GH/Rockband fan knows that GH3 is easier to play than rockband. You can hold a note down wayyy before you need to hit it and it will still register in GH3 (hammer ons & pull offs). It's ridiculous. Real GH fans know this, that's why they switch over to Rock Band. One of my best friends is sponsored to play GH3 under the clan [MOB] and he hates it. He says he only does it because it's easy. The hammer on and pull offs are an absolute joke.

He prefers RockBand for a challenge. I guarantee if you play the same song on GH3 and Rock Band, your rockband score will be substantially lower because GH3's timing is all off. (Has nothing to do with calibration). Not joking at all - GH3 is for people that like to think they are good at games like that, when in actuality, GH3 just dumbs the difficulty down.

Also, Rock Band's track list kill GH3. You say without Downloaded content RockBand sucks. That's like saying without Xbox Live, the 360 sucks. That's ridiculous to say because it's a really important part of the system as the DLC is to Rockband.


PSFreak wrote:

gh3 makes rock band trash imo. The guitar's strum bar sucked, I don't like singing, and when you hit the drum with the sticks you can hear it from a mile away. Also no online, right? And making your own songs in gh4 looks a lot better than I thought.
No online? Get your facts straight before making posts like that, man ha. RB has always had online... If you don't like singing - that prob means you can't sing and/or are tone deaf ha and the drums are one of the hardest things to play (which means you prob aren't too good at those either -- don't blame it on the sound the drumkit makes when you hit it, that's weak haha)

All in all, if GH4 plays like GH2, then I'll buy it. But if GH4 still plays like the dumbed down game that GH3 is, I'll be staying away from it. I wanna game that's gonna challenge me, not trick me into thinking I'm really good at it. But then again, if you all don't play on expert (or hard -- i guess), then this entire post was a waste...


Get some skill n00bs cool
Posted: Thu, 17th Jul 2008, 9:49pm

Post 55 of 77

Pooky

Force: 4834 | Joined: 8th Jul 2003 | Posts: 5913

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User MacOS User FXhome Movie Maker

Gold Member

Tarn - MS, Nintendo, Sony, respectively. I thought it was pretty obvious given the colours and the fact that each person is said company's main poster boy.
Posted: Thu, 17th Jul 2008, 9:50pm

Post 56 of 77

FreshMentos

Force: 1667 | Joined: 10th Jun 2006 | Posts: 1141

VisionLab User MacOS User

Gold Member

Haha, Fill! I can't believe I didn't understand that cartoon at first glance. Wow, I feel stupid.

I didn't even bother watching the other conferences but that's exactly what the Nintendo conference was like.

Oh yeah, Rock Band is better than Guitar Hero. Period. /argument
Posted: Thu, 17th Jul 2008, 9:55pm

Post 57 of 77

SilverDragon7

Force: 2265 | Joined: 29th Jun 2006 | Posts: 1990

VisionLab User VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

FreshMentos wrote:

Oh yeah, Rock Band is better than Guitar Hero. Period. /argument
Bold-type PERIOD.
Posted: Thu, 17th Jul 2008, 9:58pm

Post 58 of 77

CX3

Force: 3137 | Joined: 1st Apr 2003 | Posts: 2527

EffectsLab Lite User VideoWrap User MacOS User FXhome Movie Maker

Gold Member

Yo, Mentos, I got my 360 back. BUT I accidentally did something stupid. I was showing a friend of mine the voice message that you sent me because I thought it was hilarious but then I accidentally hit "Block Communications" and I thought it would give me an "Are You Sure?" prompt but it didn't. I'm pissed because I can't figure out a way to reverse it! And in doing so, I don't even see that your on Live anymore.

Help?
Posted: Thu, 17th Jul 2008, 10:21pm

Post 59 of 77

ssj john

Force: 563 | Joined: 4th Nov 2003 | Posts: 795

Windows User MacOS User

Member

[quote="CX3"]

ssj john wrote:


Also, Rock Band's track list kill GH3. You say without Downloaded content RockBand sucks. That's like saying without Xbox Live, the 360 sucks. That's ridiculous to say because it's a really important part of the system as the DLC is to Rockband. cool
Wow, ummmmmm no no no...If you would have said the 360 sucks without....say.....Games? then that would have made more sense. But to imply that a 360 is completely useless without xbox live is foolish. If you think that, than....the nes snes n64 and the playstation were all rubbish because they didn't have online gaming. Likewise, rockband should not NEED the DLC to make it a good game. I expect to be able to have enough fun with a game without having to fork over another $30 for extra songs that I think should have already been included. I don't think that rockband completely missed the mark they do have alot of good songs but they should have been more selective and picked songs that were evenly challenging. To me Rockband seems like a guitar and drums games that just happens to come with singing and bass as extra features. Usually the bass isn't hard at all and alot of the songs they chose aren't very fun to sing.

Now if it so happens that you were completely satisfied with the original track list. Yippie! I'm so happy for you! The fact is that I was not. Harmonix should not rely on DLC to make their game decent. They have consumers that have PS2's and Wii's who cannot download and do not want to wait for the extra disc which is cumbersome.

The reason why I have trouble believing that Rockband is harder than Guitar Hero is because I can almost beat every song on Rockband on expert and I have a hard time playing the GH3 Songs on expert. But who knows? maybe that's a timing issue.

I own rockband but in all reality we have no idea how the drums for GH4 are gonna feel and work so you can't compare yet. Also, since when did this issue become so important anyway. I had no idea that there were little rockband fanboys ready to argue to the death about why rockband is better. Rock band is fun, GH3 is fun. They are both fun. Buy which ever one you want to play. I really think the biggest difference will be the track list. Even the the guitars and such will probly work with either game.

I also didn't know you were such a die-hard musician cx3.
Posted: Thu, 17th Jul 2008, 10:26pm

Post 60 of 77

PSFreak

Force: 110 | Joined: 25th Aug 2007 | Posts: 138

Windows User MacOS User

Member

CX3 wrote:

ssj john wrote:

That is pretty weak argument considering that Guitar hero 3 is just as fun if not funner and just as hard if not harder to play then GH2 or rockband.
Any hardcore GH/Rockband fan knows that GH3 is easier to play than rockband. You can hold a note down wayyy before you need to hit it and it will still register in GH3 (hammer ons & pull offs). It's ridiculous. Real GH fans know this, that's why they switch over to Rock Band. One of my best friends is sponsored to play GH3 under the clan [MOB] and he hates it. He says he only does it because it's easy. The hammer on and pull offs are an absolute joke.

He prefers RockBand for a challenge. I guarantee if you play the same song on GH3 and Rock Band, your rockband score will be substantially lower because GH3's timing is all off. (Has nothing to do with calibration). Not joking at all - GH3 is for people that like to think they are good at games like that, when in actuality, GH3 just dumbs the difficulty down.

Also, Rock Band's track list kill GH3. You say without Downloaded content RockBand sucks. That's like saying without Xbox Live, the 360 sucks. That's ridiculous to say because it's a really important part of the system as the DLC is to Rockband.


PSFreak wrote:

gh3 makes rock band trash imo. The guitar's strum bar sucked, I don't like singing, and when you hit the drum with the sticks you can hear it from a mile away. Also no online, right? And making your own songs in gh4 looks a lot better than I thought.
No online? Get your facts straight before making posts like that, man ha. RB has always had online... If you don't like singing - that prob means you can't sing and/or are tone deaf ha and the drums are one of the hardest things to play (which means you prob aren't too good at those either -- don't blame it on the sound the drumkit makes when you hit it, that's weak haha)

All in all, if GH4 plays like GH2, then I'll buy it. But if GH4 still plays like the dumbed down game that GH3 is, I'll be staying away from it. I wanna game that's gonna challenge me, not trick me into thinking I'm really good at it. But then again, if you all don't play on expert (or hard -- i guess), then this entire post was a waste...


Get some skill n00bs cool
I play guitar on expert on second,third and rock band. I find rock band easier, and rock band's strum bar is kinda messed up. If your bored with guitar hero because its so easy, play through the fire and flames on expert. I also play drums on hard, I just said that it is annoying how loud the drums are, which I think they are fixing in gh4 and rb2.
Posted: Thu, 17th Jul 2008, 10:35pm

Post 61 of 77

FreshMentos

Force: 1667 | Joined: 10th Jun 2006 | Posts: 1141

VisionLab User MacOS User

Gold Member

ssj john wrote:

Wow, ummmmmm no no no...If you would have said the 360 sucks without....say.....Games? then that would have made more sense. But to imply that a 360 is completely useless without xbox live is foolish. If you think that, than....the nes snes n64 and the playstation were all rubbish because they didn't have online gaming.
The NES, SNES, N64, and Playstation were incredible systems. They didn't need online because it was barely used on even a consumer level. Nowadays online is a standard. I got a 360 because I was not satisfied with the Wii's horrible online. Xbox Live is at least half of the experience of the 360. Imagine games like Call of Duty 4 without online... See what I'm saying?
Posted: Thu, 17th Jul 2008, 10:59pm

Post 62 of 77

ssj john

Force: 563 | Joined: 4th Nov 2003 | Posts: 795

Windows User MacOS User

Member

Yeah I see what your saying. But I don't think that a game should rely on online gaming to make it a fun game. It should be a fun game in the first place and online gaming should enhance that.

I don't think that Online gaming is a standard...yet. I think as soon as nintendo and sony catch up then it will be. But I still know tons of people who have 360's and don't have xbox live.
Posted: Thu, 17th Jul 2008, 11:03pm

Post 63 of 77

Fill

Force: 1257 | Joined: 1st Jul 2005 | Posts: 1652

CompositeLab Lite User EffectsLab Lite User Windows User

Gold Member

FreshMentos wrote:

The NES, SNES, N64, and Playstation were incredible systems. They didn't need online because it was barely used on even a consumer level. Nowadays online is a standard.
To be perfectly honest, the only thing that I enjoy about Xbox live, or any online service for a video game console is the ability to download updates. I'm not against online play, but the Wii is not built for online play. At all. The entire purpose is to be next to other people and have loads of fun, and it does that well. This may sound weird, but the Wii really does bring people together. I've become better friends with others because of its ability to do so. Now this also brings up the frustration of a lack of solid, long, single player games like Oblivion or GTA IV, which is the entire reason I stopped liking Halo. I guess I've always been skeptical of games that are purely geared toward multiplayer.
Posted: Fri, 18th Jul 2008, 12:03am

Post 64 of 77

Pooky

Force: 4834 | Joined: 8th Jul 2003 | Posts: 5913

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User MacOS User FXhome Movie Maker

Gold Member

The thing with Rock Band and Guitar Hero difficulty is that, as I mentioned, Rock Band aims for realism and GH aims for challenge.

That means Rock Band will have a lot of double notes following each other decently fast, following the actual guitar charts, and generally trying to mimic the actual song's "feel" on the real guitar.

Guitar Hero, on the other hand, will follow Guitar, Bass and sometimes Synth charts in order to keep throwing notes at you, as well as adding more notes than are actually played and difficult triple note combinations. Mostly, though, they'll put zigzagging solos in every spot they can.

Some people might have more trouble with the Rock Band realism and the numerous double notes that keep changing, while others might have trouble with the random triple notes and zigzags in Guitar Hero.

---

Oddly, while I own a 360 and am really satisfied by it, I'm not a multiplayer person at all. I pay for Live since I do use it every now and then, but what really gets me in a game is the Single Player experience and the emotions and adventure related to it. I much prefer going through a story with jaw-dropping moments, scary moments, badass moments, etc. than playing online for the simple satisfaction of "pwning noobs". Challenge just doesn't hook me in as much.

Nonetheless, the reason I still love the 360 is that while its multiplayer features are currently still the pack leader, its single player software never ceases to amaze me. It's all about the software, really, when it comes to single player. Since I don't like Japanese games (except Nintendo), which make up most of the PS3's main exclusives, I find the 360's game library to be the best for my tastes with stuff like Dead Rising, Gears of War, Assassin's Creed, Mass Effect, Bioshock, Half-Life, Portal, Rock Band, Fable, Halo and Halo Wars, Call of Duty, GTA, Fallout 3, Brothers in Arms, Mirror's Edge, Splinter Cell, Far Cry 2 and so on all being available or exclusive to the system.

In other words, in my mind, the Wii is for Nintendo fans and casual gamers, the PS3 is for fans of Japanese games or people who want Bluray, and the Xbox 360 is for everybody else.

I don't consider myself a fanboy though (just someone whose tastes are better suited to the 360 for the moment), as I'm still planning on buying a PS3 eventually once LittleBigPlanet and Killzone and such are out. In fact, I recommended a PS3 to one of my friends and a Wii to another one. So don't hate me smile

And finally, regarding the PC, it used to be my main gaming platform, but since the new generation I've changed. Why? Software. PCs are a bit more expensive, and that would have been okay if the game library wasn't greatly inferior in my opinion (except Spore, Blizzard and Valve but those games will run on my Macbook Pro anyway). I don't quite understand how some people still cling blindly to last generation's once true but outdated arguments of console games being dumbed down and all the same. The tables have turned, guys, and although the PC versions of console games are usually better, they do not warrant a 1 year wait! At least that's what I think. I certainly wouldn't, on top of that, pay a premium on hardware for it.
Posted: Fri, 18th Jul 2008, 12:52am

Post 65 of 77

CX3

Force: 3137 | Joined: 1st Apr 2003 | Posts: 2527

EffectsLab Lite User VideoWrap User MacOS User FXhome Movie Maker

Gold Member

ssj john wrote:

But to imply that a 360 is completely useless without xbox live is foolish. If you think that, than....the nes snes n64 and the playstation were all rubbish because they didn't have online gaming. Likewise, rockband should not NEED the DLC to make it a good game.
One, I never said it makes the 360 useless. If you could highlight where I said that and show me, it'd be much appreciated. Two, saying Rockband sucks without its DLC foolish because it's a very important part of rockband as it was and still is one of their biggest marketing campaigns. Hell, Rockband 2 is releasing something like 84 songs to start and then another 20 to download for free. GH4 better do something along the same lines.

ssj john wrote:

I expect to be able to have enough fun with a game without having to fork over another $30 for extra songs that I think should have already been included.
Now you just sound greedy (should have been already included?). Who said you had to drop $30? Where did that number come from? ha Besides, for $30 you could pretty much double your setlist - Why should this be free again?

ssj john wrote:

Harmonix should not rely on DLC to make their game decent. They have consumers that have PS2's and Wii's who cannot download and do not want to wait for the extra disc which is cumbersome.
They have aaand it's working for them... Really well actually... The PS2 and Wii consumers should be smart enough to think about that before purchasing the game. Theres no hidden subtext and they know what they're getting into.

ssj john wrote:

I own rockband but in all reality we have no idea how the drums for GH4 are gonna feel and work so you can't compare yet.
When did I compare that GH4? Can you read? ha

ssj john wrote:

Also, since when did this issue become so important anyway. I had no idea that there were little rockband fanboys ready to argue to the death about why rockband is better.
I'm not little, little one. Also, no one is dying. Besides, I'm not gonna say which one is the better game anymore. The reviews obviously do a good job of that.

ssj john wrote:

I also didn't know you were such a die-hard musician cx3.
I hope you were being sarcastic by saying that haha. GH and RB have not a thing to do with being a die-hard musician.
Posted: Fri, 18th Jul 2008, 6:30am

Post 66 of 77

ssj john

Force: 563 | Joined: 4th Nov 2003 | Posts: 795

Windows User MacOS User

Member

CX3 wrote:


One, I never said it makes the 360 useless. If you could highlight where I said that and show me, it'd be much appreciated. Two, saying Rockband sucks without its DLC foolish because it's a very important part of rockband as it was and still is one of their biggest marketing campaigns. Hell, Rockband 2 is releasing something like 84 songs to start and then another 20 to download for free. GH4 better do something along the same lines.

I'll admit I went a exaggerated a bit with the useless, but to me you were implying something along those lines by saying that xbox live is an important component to the 360. Which is diffidently is a very good add-on but I don't think it makes or breaks the console. Again thats what I felt you were implying, if I thought wrong.....sorry?


Now you just sound greedy (should have been already included?). Who said you had to drop $30? Where did that number come from? ha Besides, for $30 you could pretty much double your setlist - Why should this be free again?
That is the price of the Ps2 extension pack if you wanna call it that? It's not just a random number. and the cd I think only comes with 20 new songs but don't quote me on that, I could be wrong. Anyways my point may not have been clear so let me make it again. In my opinion, and they even said this in the little video extra that comes with the game, the songs on disc should be some of the funnest songs to play. It's my feeling that some of the funnest RB songs are DLC. I think THOSE songs should have come with the game. DLC should not be free, please if you can show me where you inserted those words into my mouth I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks Chap.


They have aaand it's working for them... Really well actually... The PS2 and Wii consumers should be smart enough to think about that before purchasing the game. Theres no hidden subtext and they know what they're getting into.
Well I will admit this point is a pretty weak one, cuz while having to purchase an extra CD and wait for 3 months is annoying its probly not going to stop me from buying rockband.




When did I compare that GH4? Can you read? ha
I can. But when you say you think ANYTHING rockband beats ANYTHING GH I mean what does that mean? Thus that can be IMPLIED that you think RB2 or 1 is and will be better then GH4. Oh and yes I know you didn't actually say that. I believe Hybrid Halo did, but you agree with him soooooooo there you go.

I'm not little, little one. Also, no one is dying. Besides, I'm not gonna say which one is the better game anymore. The reviews obviously do a good job of that.
...ok good. Oh and I never said which game was better, I was saying which one I liked more. So maybe guitar hero isn't as "realistic" as rockband. I don't care I think GH is funner. If I wanted realism I'd go pick up a friggin guitar.


I hope you were being sarcastic by saying that haha. GH and RB have not a thing to do with being a die-hard musician.
I was and that was exactly the point I was making. Whether your amazingly good at either game, two things don't change. 1. GH or RB don't make you any more musically talented then your harry next door neighbor and 2. Its a video game, not an instrument. You may feel like your playing a guitar but in reality is your far from it. So don't get to detailed about the realism of the guitar. Drums....well that could maybe be debatable...[/quote]
Posted: Fri, 18th Jul 2008, 2:51pm

Post 67 of 77

Simon K Jones

Force: 27955 | Joined: 1st Jan 2002 | Posts: 11683

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 5 Pro User MuzzlePlug User PowerPlug User PhotoKey 3 Plug-in User FXhome Movie Maker FXpreset Maker Windows User

FXhome Team Member

CX3 / ssj john - guys, while I'm really happy that you're so passionate about your gaming, if you want to continue shouting at each other can you do it in PMs? Or at least do some kind of guitar-off contest. razz

Pooky wrote:

And finally, regarding the PC, it used to be my main gaming platform, but since the new generation I've changed. Why? Software. PCs are a bit more expensive,
Well, of course they are. A PC can do considerably more than any games console. If you buy a PC only for games then you're a bit of a wally, but if you want a general machine it's the best value out there - especially if you know how to build one yourself.

Plus the games themselves tend to be half the price of the console equivalents, or less. So if you buy a lot of games, that can really add up on consoles - if I had one of the new consoles I simply wouldn't be able to justify the price of the games, here in the UK at least.

I don't quite understand how some people still cling blindly to last generation's once true but outdated arguments of console games being dumbed down and all the same. The tables have turned, guys, and although the PC versions of console games are usually better, they do not warrant a 1 year wait!
I'd say a 1 year wait is fine for a superior version of the game and a much lower price tag. But that's just for the conversions anyway, and simultaneous platform releases are likely to become more commonplace now that developers know what they're doing with the console hardware.

PC development tends to go in cycles, influenced by the consoles.

- Consoles come out, massive hype, huge marketing engines, consoles are technically superior to PCs, PC gaming slows down a lot. Everyone says "PC gaming is dead!"

- About 6-12 months later PCs have caught up technologically, or have surpassed. Things even out and there's a lot of multi-platform stuff, the big games get converted either after a short period of time or simultaneously. The PC also has some 'exclusives', and the open platform helps to drive forward innovation (the work from Introversion et al).

- Consoles near the end of their lifecycles. PCs are forging ahead, with games that technically outstrip consoles easily. Cross-platform gaming unfortunately suffers as it's still limited to console hardware. But PCs continue to innovate.

- Consoles enter the next painful transition phase, manufacturers and developers abandon the old ones and move onto the new platforms. PC gaming just keeps on keeping on.

And so it goes, every single time. smile

Platform for me is fairly irrelevant, as long as there's good games. The PC tends to have all the console games that actually interest me, plus a handful of big budget exclusives, and literally HUNDREDS (thousands?) of independent, exciting, innovative titles. Plus my PC can do all kinds of awesome non-gaming things.

So, yeah. That's why I'm still primarily a PC gamer. It just makes sense, for me.

At least that's what I think. I certainly wouldn't, on top of that, pay a premium on hardware for it.
Like I say, if you look at a PC and see only a gaming machine, it probably does seem expensive. Although you can get a pretty awesome gaming machine for not much more than a PS3 nowadays. But if you factor in all the other things a computer can do...well, the value speaks for itself.

If you don't need to do any of those non-gaming things, or if you have a Mac for such things, then sure, get a console instead.
Posted: Fri, 18th Jul 2008, 4:29pm

Post 68 of 77

Pooky

Force: 4834 | Joined: 8th Jul 2003 | Posts: 5913

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User MacOS User FXhome Movie Maker

Gold Member

That actually makes a lot of sense, thanks Tarn. smile

However, I think we're still in the first phase right now. A couple of large console titles have come out on PC, but they're still nearly identical (bar UI improvements and higher resolutions) to the console versions. I think we'll start transitioning back into the PC realm around the time Starcraft 2, Spore, Diablo 3 and Episode 3 come out.

Still, Portal has a 360-exclusive special edition coming out. That basically warrants the price of the whole system. smile
Posted: Sat, 19th Jul 2008, 12:27am

Post 69 of 77

ssj john

Force: 563 | Joined: 4th Nov 2003 | Posts: 795

Windows User MacOS User

Member

Tarn wrote:

CX3 / ssj john - guys, while I'm really happy that you're so passionate about your gaming, if you want to continue shouting at each other can you do it in PMs? Or at least do some kind of guitar-off contest. razz
Actually I think that would be an awesome Idea. Unfortunately I don't have Xbox live, or I would totally challenge cx3 to a dual to the death.
Posted: Sat, 19th Jul 2008, 4:19am

Post 70 of 77

CX3

Force: 3137 | Joined: 1st Apr 2003 | Posts: 2527

EffectsLab Lite User VideoWrap User MacOS User FXhome Movie Maker

Gold Member

sleep
Posted: Sat, 19th Jul 2008, 6:51am

Post 71 of 77

ssj john

Force: 563 | Joined: 4th Nov 2003 | Posts: 795

Windows User MacOS User

Member

oh thats intimidating....
Posted: Sat, 19th Jul 2008, 7:21am

Post 72 of 77

Thrawn

Force: 1995 | Joined: 11th Aug 2006 | Posts: 1962

CompositeLab Pro User EffectsLab Lite User FXhome Movie Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

Eh, I'm not much of a gamer, but I do find this thread interesting. Good points, guys. Though you need to stop the intimidating yawn's CX3. Seriously... wink
Posted: Sat, 19th Jul 2008, 9:07am

Post 73 of 77

CX3

Force: 3137 | Joined: 1st Apr 2003 | Posts: 2527

EffectsLab Lite User VideoWrap User MacOS User FXhome Movie Maker

Gold Member

whistle
Posted: Sat, 19th Jul 2008, 4:29pm

Post 74 of 77

Mellifluous

Force: 5604 | Joined: 6th Oct 2002 | Posts: 3782

EffectsLab Pro User Windows User

Gold Member

I'm surprised no one's mentioned this E3 game trailer, I can't wait. The gameplay in the trailer looks stunning!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nsUwH8wWKo

HD version here, kicks even more ass.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEo8x_bbWWQ
Posted: Mon, 21st Jul 2008, 8:19am

Post 75 of 77

Simon K Jones

Force: 27955 | Joined: 1st Jan 2002 | Posts: 11683

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 5 Pro User MuzzlePlug User PowerPlug User PhotoKey 3 Plug-in User FXhome Movie Maker FXpreset Maker Windows User

FXhome Team Member

Pooky wrote:

Still, Portal has a 360-exclusive special edition coming out. That basically warrants the price of the whole system. smile
The 360-exclusive Portal is a bunch of (really good) maps created by the community, which have been available for free to PC gamers for a few months now.

More info:
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2008/07/20/dont-take-your-life-over-portal-still-alive/

I imagine Valve would release them for free for 360 gamers too, if Microsoft would actually let them. Same goes for the great Team Fortress 2 updates they do for free (usually about one update a week for minor tweaks, then every month-or-so they release major new features), except Xbox Live doesn't support that kind of post-release developer support.

It's another reason I really like gaming on PC. smile Devs can do what they like and don't have to jump through hoops enforced by the console manufacturer.

Last edited Mon, 21st Jul 2008, 9:48am; edited 1 times in total.

Posted: Mon, 21st Jul 2008, 9:46am

Post 76 of 77

CX3

Force: 3137 | Joined: 1st Apr 2003 | Posts: 2527

EffectsLab Lite User VideoWrap User MacOS User FXhome Movie Maker

Gold Member

Good job pooky, you're just digginus a hole, man...
Posted: Mon, 21st Jul 2008, 9:48am

Post 77 of 77

Simon K Jones

Force: 27955 | Joined: 1st Jan 2002 | Posts: 11683

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 5 Pro User MuzzlePlug User PowerPlug User PhotoKey 3 Plug-in User FXhome Movie Maker FXpreset Maker Windows User

FXhome Team Member

On another note, I've got a couple more previews up on my blog, of Dragon Age and Fallout 3:

http://potentialgamer.com/

Enjoy. smile