You are viewing an archive of the old fxhome.com forums. The community has since moved to hitfilm.com.

New iPod Nano

Posted: Wed, 10th Sep 2008, 10:09am

Post 1 of 44

chchaisson

Force: 60 | Joined: 1st Nov 2006 | Posts: 45

Member

I really like it from the pictures. This is how I pictured the Nano would turn out...a large landscape screen that you could turn on the side.

http://www.apple.com/ipodnano/

Seems like a huge improvement over the current model, anyway.
Posted: Wed, 10th Sep 2008, 11:40am

Post 2 of 44

Mellifluous

Force: 5604 | Joined: 6th Oct 2002 | Posts: 3782

EffectsLab Pro User Windows User

Gold Member

Cool, just like the Zune's flash player then.
Posted: Wed, 10th Sep 2008, 12:12pm

Post 3 of 44

Joshua Davies

Force: 25400 | Joined: 21st Mar 2001 | Posts: 3029

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 5 Pro User MuzzlePlug User PowerPlug User PhotoKey 3 Plug-in User FXpreset Maker Windows User MacOS User

FXhome Team Member

What is a Zune? wink
Posted: Wed, 10th Sep 2008, 3:26pm

Post 4 of 44

Axeman

Force: 17995 | Joined: 20th Jan 2002 | Posts: 6124

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 5 Pro User MuzzlePlug User PowerPlug User PhotoKey 3 Plug-in User FXhome Movie Maker FXpreset Maker MacOS User

SuperUser

The "shake to shuffle" feature is pretty brilliant. And the Genius feature, which operates off the Music Genome Project, works surprisingly well. At least in my experiments with it in iTunes.
Posted: Wed, 10th Sep 2008, 4:49pm

Post 5 of 44

A Pickle

Force: 1235 | Joined: 7th Sep 2004 | Posts: 1280

EffectsLab Lite User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Sorry, I have to say this but...

...they still don't have an FM tuner. WTF.
Posted: Wed, 10th Sep 2008, 5:23pm

Post 6 of 44

Redhawksrymmer

Force: 18442 | Joined: 19th Aug 2002 | Posts: 2620

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 3 Pro User MuzzlePlug User PowerPlug User PhotoKey 3 Plug-in User FXhome Movie Maker FXpreset Maker Windows User MacOS User

SuperUser

Cool stuff, I like how they went back to the old "classic" design. The Genius feature is brilliant, trying it out on my 1st gen iPod Touch at the moment. smile
Posted: Wed, 10th Sep 2008, 7:33pm

Post 7 of 44

Frosty G

Force: 540 | Joined: 28th May 2005 | Posts: 640

EffectsLab Pro User Windows User

Gold Member

I completely second A Pickle's statement. Its the one thing that makes a Zune look in anyway appealing. I want to be able to listen to the radio with my music device.
Posted: Wed, 10th Sep 2008, 7:48pm

Post 8 of 44

Fill

Force: 1257 | Joined: 1st Jul 2005 | Posts: 1652

CompositeLab Lite User EffectsLab Lite User Windows User

Gold Member

Yeah. I love my Zune.

I'll say it.

APPLE COPIED MICROSOFT!!!!!

biggrin
Posted: Wed, 10th Sep 2008, 7:57pm

Post 9 of 44

chchaisson

Force: 60 | Joined: 1st Nov 2006 | Posts: 45

Member

Actually, the "shake to shuffle" is nothing new. Sony has been doing it for years; you shake the player, and it mixes up your music. Cool way to do it.

The Genius feature is really neat, though. I guess it was only a matter of time before the Music Genome Project got incorporated into mp3 players.
Posted: Wed, 10th Sep 2008, 8:13pm

Post 10 of 44

DVStudio

Force: 4983 | Joined: 22nd Nov 2007 | Posts: 1845

CompositeLab Pro User EffectsLab Pro User PhotoKey 4 User FXpreset Maker FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Zunes can update wirelessly right?

The new ipod nano is cool... but the tuner is something the Zune wins with!
Posted: Wed, 10th Sep 2008, 8:28pm

Post 11 of 44

ben3308

Force: 5210 | Joined: 24th May 2004 | Posts: 6433

VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

The new nanos......eh.

As far as I see it, the 'classic' and 'nano' iPods (clickwheel) are completely outclassed by the Zune; which, despite a lackluster start, is now a very design-centric, feature-laden device. Basically, the new non-touch iPods are now just bad copies of Zunes, despite iTunes.

Especially with the release of the new flash Zunes (in new colors, too!) and the 120gb Zune, I think the wireless sync, Xbox interactivity (use this all the time), and now the device-accessible wireless Marketplace (which I use for Zune and Xbox all the time) makes it the device I'm sticking with, fanboyism aside. biggrin
Posted: Wed, 10th Sep 2008, 10:16pm

Post 12 of 44

Axeman

Force: 17995 | Joined: 20th Jan 2002 | Posts: 6124

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 5 Pro User MuzzlePlug User PowerPlug User PhotoKey 3 Plug-in User FXhome Movie Maker FXpreset Maker MacOS User

SuperUser

chchaisson wrote:

Actually, the "shake to shuffle" is nothing new. Sony has been doing it for years; you shake the player, and it mixes up your music. Cool way to do it.
I did not know that.

And apparently I'm in the minority here, but I have no desire to have a radio receiver in my mp3 player. Given the option of listening to whatever random crap happens to come on the radio with an occasional good song thrown in, or music I like without any commercial interruptions, I'll go for the music I like every time.
Posted: Wed, 10th Sep 2008, 10:30pm

Post 13 of 44

FreshMentos

Force: 1667 | Joined: 10th Jun 2006 | Posts: 1141

VisionLab User MacOS User

Gold Member

I haven't seen the new nano hands on, but judging from the pictures, I think it looks very ugly. I prefer the previous design much more.
Posted: Thu, 11th Sep 2008, 12:35am

Post 14 of 44

chchaisson

Force: 60 | Joined: 1st Nov 2006 | Posts: 45

Member

Rating: +1/-1

ben3308 wrote:

Basically, the new non-touch iPods are now just bad copies of Zunes, despite iTunes.
Do you really think that Apple copied the Zune with their iPod Classic and Nano 3G? The Classic and Nano 3G were both released three months before the current Zunes. Or maybe you mean that the new iPods copy the original Zune, which was flawed as you mention... just curious. Perhaps I misunderstood.

I do agree that Microsoft is getting their act together design-wise. The D-pad is a little quirky, but it can only get better.

Two devices meant for two different crowds, I guess. The Zune is no iPod killer, and should not be marketed as one. It's good that PC users finally have more choice in terms of MP3 players.

But I digress.
Posted: Thu, 11th Sep 2008, 2:27am

Post 15 of 44

Pooky

Force: 4834 | Joined: 8th Jul 2003 | Posts: 5913

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User MacOS User FXhome Movie Maker

Gold Member

Woah. I've been trying out this new "Genius" thing in iTunes and... it's frickin awesome!

Somehow, it manages to read my mind. Say I feel like listening to something upbeat and fast, now all I gotta do is select an example of such a song I feel like listening to and hit Genius. The playlist is always SPOT ON what I feel like listening to. Awesome algorithm.

The music recommendation sidebar thing's gotten me to discover quite a few new songs already, as well.

The feature seems overlooked, I suggest you all give it a try, it's probably one of my favorite iTunes features now.
Posted: Thu, 11th Sep 2008, 3:35am

Post 16 of 44

Evman

Force: 4382 | Joined: 25th Jan 2004 | Posts: 3609

VisionLab User VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

Yeah the Genius feature in iTunes 8 has been really underrated I'd say. I've already found a few great songs to add to my library that way, and the playlist feature is simply mind boggling and useful.

I can't wait till it's added into the iPhone software on Friday, because now I hate using regular shuffle on that now! razz
Posted: Thu, 11th Sep 2008, 3:39am

Post 17 of 44

Frosty G

Force: 540 | Joined: 28th May 2005 | Posts: 640

EffectsLab Pro User Windows User

Gold Member

Axeman wrote:

And apparently I'm in the minority here, but I have no desire to have a radio receiver in my mp3 player. Given the option of listening to whatever random crap happens to come on the radio with an occasional good song thrown in, or music I like without any commercial interruptions, I'll go for the music I like every time.
Well in the morning I have a morning show I listen to religiously when I get the chance. To be able to listen to it through my ipod when I have the chance would be a big feature for me.
Posted: Thu, 11th Sep 2008, 5:02am

Post 18 of 44

Thrawn

Force: 1995 | Joined: 11th Aug 2006 | Posts: 1962

CompositeLab Pro User EffectsLab Lite User FXhome Movie Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

Holy Crap! The Genius feature is... well, genius! biggrin
Posted: Thu, 11th Sep 2008, 5:23am

Post 19 of 44

FreshMentos

Force: 1667 | Joined: 10th Jun 2006 | Posts: 1141

VisionLab User MacOS User

Gold Member

I can see why people are stoked about the Genius feature, but I don't care about it because it's nothing really new to me since I've just been using this for a while.
Posted: Thu, 11th Sep 2008, 8:44am

Post 20 of 44

Simon K Jones

Force: 27955 | Joined: 1st Jan 2002 | Posts: 11683

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 5 Pro User MuzzlePlug User PowerPlug User PhotoKey 3 Plug-in User FXhome Movie Maker FXpreset Maker Windows User

FXhome Team Member

The Genius thing is indeed pretty nifty - nice to have it on both my Touch and on iTunes.

I've never even thought about having a radio, perhaps because the only times I listen to live radio are 1. in bed 2. in the car, both times when I have easy access to a normal radio. I do listen to radio shows on my iPod, but via podcasts - that way I get to listen when I like, pause, skip crap bits etc.

Of course, listening to radio via podcast is easy here in the UK as the BBC podcastify all their stuff - I dunno if it's the same in the US?
Posted: Thu, 11th Sep 2008, 9:01am

Post 21 of 44

ben3308

Force: 5210 | Joined: 24th May 2004 | Posts: 6433

VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

No, Tarn, in the US we hardly have any radio programs podcasted, save a few good ones like This American Life and other national public radio distributions.

As for the FM radio argument: yeah, I like listening to my own music, but I also like hearing what's 'in the now'. In fact, now with Zune, if I hear a song on my device's radio that I like, I can tag it to be bought later, or buy the actual song right then and there over WiFi on my device.

Cool stuff, really. The ultimate solution to tracking down good music you hear on the airwaves. biggrin
Posted: Thu, 11th Sep 2008, 2:39pm

Post 22 of 44

A Pickle

Force: 1235 | Joined: 7th Sep 2004 | Posts: 1280

EffectsLab Lite User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

NPR is the best stuff anyways, though. biggrin
Posted: Fri, 19th Sep 2008, 12:40am

Post 23 of 44

DVStudio

Force: 4983 | Joined: 22nd Nov 2007 | Posts: 1845

CompositeLab Pro User EffectsLab Pro User PhotoKey 4 User FXpreset Maker FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Microsoft relesed new xunes and software update too, similar to Itunes 8 at the same time.
http://blogs.pcworld.com/staffblog/archives/007704.html
Posted: Fri, 19th Sep 2008, 1:59am

Post 24 of 44

A Pickle

Force: 1235 | Joined: 7th Sep 2004 | Posts: 1280

EffectsLab Lite User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

ben3308 wrote:

As for the FM radio argument: yeah, I like listening to my own music, but I also like hearing what's 'in the now'. In fact, now with Zune, if I hear a song on my device's radio that I like, I can tag it to be bought later, or buy the actual song right then and there over WiFi on my device.
I've got a Sandisk Sansa View that... basically never ever leaves my car (except when I need it to be charged, and then that'll be changing soon, too). It's got an FM radio tuner, and I can record (to MP3) right off of it. smile
Posted: Fri, 19th Sep 2008, 11:57am

Post 25 of 44

Mellifluous

Force: 5604 | Joined: 6th Oct 2002 | Posts: 3782

EffectsLab Pro User Windows User

Gold Member

The new Zune program is great. Seriously a gorgeous piece of software.

The buy from FM doesn't affect me as I'm in the UK, but it's something I thought of back in 2004, on top of being able to wirelessly listen to what people are listening to around you.

So in my opinion MS are on the right track (definitely with their software and online services). Unfortunately, their hardware innovations are restricted by Apple coming up with different but eyecatching stuff like the Touch.

Then again, maybe Apple will start to focus all their efforts on their Touch/iPhone devices, leaving a gap in the market for MS to fill in the simple music/video player front.
Posted: Fri, 19th Sep 2008, 3:04pm

Post 26 of 44

Bryce007

Force: 1910 | Joined: 5th Apr 2003 | Posts: 2609

VideoWrap User Windows User

Gold Member

A Pickle wrote:

I've got a Sandisk Sansa View
Well done sir. It's all about the Sandisk now days.
Posted: Sat, 20th Sep 2008, 1:12am

Post 27 of 44

Dancamfx

Force: 2558 | Joined: 7th Sep 2006 | Posts: 873

VisionLab User FXpreset Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

I was waiting for someone to post this. I work at apple now so I can loose my job if I post anything about apple products.
Posted: Sat, 20th Sep 2008, 1:14am

Post 28 of 44

ben3308

Force: 5210 | Joined: 24th May 2004 | Posts: 6433

VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Sort of irrelevant, but after updating my Zune software I just discovered something awesome called 'mixview', which is a Coverflow-looking feature that pulls up related artists, influences, and tracks regarding the song I'm listening to.

Sort of like the Genius feature, 'cept it's all very glitzed up and animated. Cool stuff! biggrin
Posted: Sat, 20th Sep 2008, 9:25pm

Post 29 of 44

Fill

Force: 1257 | Joined: 1st Jul 2005 | Posts: 1652

CompositeLab Lite User EffectsLab Lite User Windows User

Gold Member

Oh, yes. Call me a fanboy, but the new Zune software absolutely rocks. I can buy stuff from the marketplace without connecting, and they introduced games to the Zune, too (They even included a free Hexic game which is absolutely addicting). Supposedly that's only the tip of the iceberg. The Zune pass, a $15 monthly service, gives the user unlimited downloads from the marketplace's music and videos, and it makes the "MixView" feature even cooler with the pass. Man, I wish the Zune was more popular. sad

And who needs a visualizer when the software loads a really pretty text and photo slideshow of the current band you're listening to?

EDIT: I forgot to mention that all the new features work flawlessly on both old and new Zunes. No $10 upgrade needed. biggrin I can also listen to music while playing games, too. This. Is. Awesome.
Posted: Sat, 20th Sep 2008, 9:39pm

Post 30 of 44

Mellifluous

Force: 5604 | Joined: 6th Oct 2002 | Posts: 3782

EffectsLab Pro User Windows User

Gold Member

Fill wrote:

Oh, yes. Call me a fanboy, but the new Zune software absolutely rocks. I can buy stuff from the marketplace without connecting, and they introduced games to the Zune, too (They even included a free Hexic game which is absolutely addicting). Supposedly that's only the tip of the iceberg. The Zune pass, a $15 monthly service, gives the user unlimited downloads from the marketplace's music and videos, and it makes the "MixView" feature even cooler with the pass. Man, I wish the Zune was more popular. sad

And who needs a visualizer when the software loads a really pretty text and photo slideshow of the current band you're listening to?

EDIT: I forgot to mention that all the new features work flawlessly on both old and new Zunes. No $10 upgrade needed. biggrin I can also listen to music while playing games, too. This. Is. Awesome.
Well, it does have the red visualisation at the bottom. Rather nice and unobtrusive.
Posted: Sat, 20th Sep 2008, 11:19pm

Post 31 of 44

A Pickle

Force: 1235 | Joined: 7th Sep 2004 | Posts: 1280

EffectsLab Lite User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Bryce007 wrote:

A Pickle wrote:

I've got a Sandisk Sansa View
Well done sir. It's all about the Sandisk now days.
Eh, I dunno. It's not a bad player, by any stretch -- in fact, I'd say it's one of the top ones. Sandisk could go a long ways to improving them, though. The interface is kind of gaudy and old, it doesn't have smooth menu animations and lacks text smoothing, unlike the iPod/Zune. It also doesn't have a very broad range of supported file types. Finally, when you use the microSD card slot to add more songs, the songs on your memory card aren't indexed into the library -- you have to browse to them in order to play them.

iPods are quite nice, they have some decently nice features on them like contacts, text file viewing, and games. That's about it, though -- and I'd prefer FM radio support (and the ability to record directly off of the FM signal) over games, contacts, and text file viewing any day.

Then there's the Zune, which is getting better and better every software update. Like 'em or hate 'em, but the addition of wifi and then coding backwards-compatible updates was effin' brilliant by Microsoft.

Ultimately, though -- the best players on the market are made by Cowon. Like Sandisk, Cowon's players have FM tuners AND SD-card slots -- but they also have a sexy interface (some of them are touchscreen), a huge range of file type support (they support FLAC, OGG, AAC, AIFF, you name it), and a pretty good quality microphone to record voice memos with. Most COWON players can view text, and they all have crazy good screens and just... neat features in general.

Sadly, my Sandisk Sansa View is just to tide me over, 'til I can get an HTC Touch Pro or an HTC Touch HD -- both of which are HTC-designed touchscreen smartphones for Sprint running Windows Mobile 6.1 (which rules). Both of them have wi-fi, bluetooth, GPS, and an FM radio tuner built-in -- and they're phones. The HTC Touch Pro has a 640x480 resolution screen, and the HTC Touch HD has a widescreen (and massive) 800x480 pixels. One of those will be my new phone, probably the Touch HD.
Posted: Wed, 24th Sep 2008, 2:17am

Post 32 of 44

Dead Iris

Force: 1329 | Joined: 24th Jul 2007 | Posts: 199

VisionLab User VideoWrap User Windows User

Gold Member

Rating: -4

I got a 120GB black Zune not too long ago. Couldn't be happier with it. I should also mention that it's not as homosexual-looking as the ipod. Plus it has a bigger screen than the ipods (with the exception of the ipod touch, but that piece of crap is just a rip off anyway).
Posted: Wed, 24th Sep 2008, 8:22pm

Post 33 of 44

Mellifluous

Force: 5604 | Joined: 6th Oct 2002 | Posts: 3782

EffectsLab Pro User Windows User

Gold Member

Dead Iris wrote:

I got a 120GB black Zune not too long ago. Couldn't be happier with it. I should also mention that it's not as homosexual-looking as the ipod. Plus it has a bigger screen than the ipods (with the exception of the ipod touch, but that piece of crap is just a rip off anyway).
With the vitriol contained in your post, I'm surprised you deigned to buy a 'black' Zune.
Posted: Wed, 24th Sep 2008, 9:18pm

Post 34 of 44

Evman

Force: 4382 | Joined: 25th Jan 2004 | Posts: 3609

VisionLab User VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

Dead Iris wrote:

(with the exception of the ipod touch, but that piece of crap is just a rip off anyway).
If you say it's a rip off of the iPhone... I'll laugh. Just warning you.
Posted: Thu, 25th Sep 2008, 2:33am

Post 35 of 44

Dead Iris

Force: 1329 | Joined: 24th Jul 2007 | Posts: 199

VisionLab User VideoWrap User Windows User

Gold Member

Evman wrote:

Dead Iris wrote:

(with the exception of the ipod touch, but that piece of crap is just a rip off anyway).
If you say it's a rip off of the iPhone... I'll laugh. Just warning you.
A rip off of your money...

Edit: Haha, I see we have a couple of Apple fanbois in here. My post was marked down by negative three. I don't see how my post could be of a disservice to someone when it's just an opinion.

Remember people, this isn't youtube. You don't mark down comments just because you don't like them.

Edit2: Nevermind, it was marked down because people can't take a joke. Teh internets is 2 seeriuus fer me. Kbai
Posted: Thu, 25th Sep 2008, 2:46am

Post 36 of 44

ssj john

Force: 563 | Joined: 4th Nov 2003 | Posts: 795

Windows User MacOS User

Member

Dead Iris wrote:


Remember people, this isn't youtube. You don't mark down comments just because you don't like them.
Ummm that's EXACTLY why you get marked down. Nobody will ever admit it but that's a large amount of the time why someone get marked down. Guarantee you I get marked down for this post because someone disagrees with me on this.

I can't believe nobodies talking about the new headphones...Being a Ipod touch owner, those are by far what I'm most excited about.
Posted: Thu, 25th Sep 2008, 3:24am

Post 37 of 44

Dead Iris

Force: 1329 | Joined: 24th Jul 2007 | Posts: 199

VisionLab User VideoWrap User Windows User

Gold Member

ssj john wrote:

Dead Iris wrote:


Remember people, this isn't youtube. You don't mark down comments just because you don't like them.
Ummm that's EXACTLY why you get marked down. Nobody will ever admit it but that's a large amount of the time why someone get marked down. Guarantee you I get marked down for this post because someone disagrees with me on this.

I can't believe nobodies talking about the new headphones...Being a Ipod touch owner, those are by far what I'm most excited about.
I appreciate your support but if you don't mind me asking, why did you buy an iPod Touch? I see them as a huge waste of money. You get, what, 16GB of space when you could buy one that has 120GB for a bit cheaper? That just doesn't make sense to me.

Right now, it seems like Apple has their head up their ass. They're crapping out all this fancy technology but it's all worthless, because it's far to expensive for what you can get out of it.
Posted: Thu, 25th Sep 2008, 3:52am

Post 38 of 44

ben3308

Force: 5210 | Joined: 24th May 2004 | Posts: 6433

VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

A lot of people buy iPod Touch because of the whole host of apps it supports. Honestly, once you get over the iTouch gimmick, you can download a whole slew of other games, apps, and gimmicks. For a lot of people, it's a great multipurpose device.

That being said, as someone who is an absolute cinemaphile (I have North by Northwest and Citizen Kane on my Zune) I appreciate the very clean, very stylish, very streamlined UI of my Zune and the 80gb of storage it offers. I like music, but I mainly like movies and like showing my films to possible patrons/producers on the go via my Zune's large, nondescript screen.

Plus, I have an XBOX360 and use Windows Media Center, so the integration is great for me.
Posted: Thu, 25th Sep 2008, 6:21am

Post 39 of 44

ssj john

Force: 563 | Joined: 4th Nov 2003 | Posts: 795

Windows User MacOS User

Member

Dead Iris wrote:


I appreciate your support but if you don't mind me asking, why did you buy an iPod Touch? I see them as a huge waste of money. You get, what, 16GB of space when you could buy one that has 120GB for a bit cheaper? That just doesn't make sense to me.

Right now, it seems like Apple has their head up their ass. They're crapping out all this fancy technology but it's all worthless, because it's far to expensive for what you can get out of it.
Well I think Ben makes a good point here, it comes down to more than storage space. What you are really paying for is what you can do with it. The Ipod touch isn't just an Ipod anymore...its a PDA, portable gaming device, and a computer. You can virtually do and make it into anything you want on the Ipod touch/iphone to be. If you buy an Ipod touch just for its music playing capablities, with out ever planning on taking advantage of its other various uses, I would agree, you mistakenly wasted your money big time.

As far as comparing the ipod classic or the zune to the Ipod touch is well, silly, because there is no comparison. Especially when it comes to storage space. The zune and ipod classic are meant as an way to listen to you all your music away from the computer. Ipod touch is meant for you to do basic computing away from your computer.

I can surf the internet when I'm in a wifi hotspot, I can check facebook, myspace, play a game, check my mail, check fxhome, listen to music and pull up a funny youtube video with out having to haul around a laptop.(and I'm in a hotspot more than you'd expect) That's why I have an Ipod touch. If I wanted an MP3 player I would have just stuck with my ipod video, it plays mp3's just fine.

As for sharing my video's with people, the Ipod Touch wins again. Mainly because it has an external speaker that is actually pretty decent quality. So when I want to show my video's to a group of people they don't have to take turns borrowing my headphones. I find that to be very convenient...

If I were looking for a new mp3 player though, I'd go zune hands down. Anyway you look at it, the Zune beats the Ipod classic. The zune is light years ahead as far as MP3 Players go. Offering the zune marketplace on the zune, fm tagging, wifi syncing, landscape screen(granted Ipod nano has this, but zune had it first.)it really comes across as silly to me when someone tries to convince me the Ipod C is better. Essentially when it comes to just MP3 capabilities, the zune competes even with the touch. Not to mention that the zune's UI is simple and it looks just as sexy if not more sexy then the Ipod Classic.
Posted: Thu, 25th Sep 2008, 8:18am

Post 40 of 44

Simon K Jones

Force: 27955 | Joined: 1st Jan 2002 | Posts: 11683

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 5 Pro User MuzzlePlug User PowerPlug User PhotoKey 3 Plug-in User FXhome Movie Maker FXpreset Maker Windows User

FXhome Team Member

Dead Iris wrote:

Edit: Haha, I see we have a couple of Apple fanbois in here. My post was marked down by negative three. I don't see how my post could be of a disservice to someone when it's just an opinion.
If you think you got rated down because people disagree with your opinion, you're missing the point. I imagine people disagreed with your subtly offensive language and, as Mel pointed out, the bizarre vitriol of your comment.

I mean, how can you get so....emotional about an mp3 player?

Remember people, this isn't youtube. You don't mark down comments just because you don't like them.
Ironically, I think it's you that needs to remember this. Ridiculous comments such as "I should also mention that it's not as homosexual-looking as the ipod" and dismissive statements like "that piece of crap is just a rip off anyway" belong far more comfortably in a YouTube response than a post on FXhome.com.

In other words, it's not what you were saying, but the way you were saying it.
Posted: Fri, 26th Sep 2008, 12:29am

Post 41 of 44

Dead Iris

Force: 1329 | Joined: 24th Jul 2007 | Posts: 199

VisionLab User VideoWrap User Windows User

Gold Member

Tarn wrote:

Dead Iris wrote:

Edit: Haha, I see we have a couple of Apple fanbois in here. My post was marked down by negative three. I don't see how my post could be of a disservice to someone when it's just an opinion.
If you think you got rated down because people disagree with your opinion, you're missing the point. I imagine people disagreed with your subtly offensive language and, as Mel pointed out, the bizarre vitriol of your comment.

I mean, how can you get so....emotional about an mp3 player?

Remember people, this isn't youtube. You don't mark down comments just because you don't like them.
Ironically, I think it's you that needs to remember this. Ridiculous comments such as "I should also mention that it's not as homosexual-looking as the ipod" and dismissive statements like "that piece of crap is just a rip off anyway" belong far more comfortably in a YouTube response than a post on FXhome.com.

In other words, it's not what you were saying, but the way you were saying it.
Check out edit number two. Sometime I forget how serious people take posts on the internet.

ssj john, I as under the impression that it only had a gaming feature added. I wasn't aware it could view websites like the iphone. Interesting.
Posted: Fri, 26th Sep 2008, 7:09am

Post 42 of 44

ssj john

Force: 563 | Joined: 4th Nov 2003 | Posts: 795

Windows User MacOS User

Member

Yup, it can do anything the Iphone can do except call people, take pictures, and access the internet from the 3G network. Other than that its the same, except extremely extremely thinner, almost to a ridiculous amount.

I wish they would have left the Camera in the Ipod. If they had, that would have made it a constant accessory for me.

The ipod touch has vastly more uses than the Ipod C or the zune. You could argue it has a lot more uses than a PSP. The Ipod touch could be a very unique gaming platform, that could compete with the DS and the PSP. We'll just have to wait and see what developers will come up with.
Posted: Fri, 26th Sep 2008, 8:08am

Post 43 of 44

Mellifluous

Force: 5604 | Joined: 6th Oct 2002 | Posts: 3782

EffectsLab Pro User Windows User

Gold Member

Dead Iris wrote:

ssj john, I as under the impression that it only had a gaming feature added. I wasn't aware it could view websites like the iphone. Interesting.
Yes it's just opinion, but at least try and make that opinion informed. Previous posts have you slamming the iPod touch for being to expensive and not doing much.

As I said earlier, Apple have a big market for these kind of iPods that border on mini computers. With them you can check email, view the internet (and you can zoom into websites so it works quite well) have a calender synching with Outlook to check your schedule, create post-it notes, custom Youtube, Facebook and other online applications... it's a pretty nifty thing.

There is absolutely no point in comparing Zunes to touches. But for the pure mp3 player department, Zune is better than Apple's pure mp3 players like Nano and Classic.
Posted: Sat, 27th Sep 2008, 12:08pm

Post 44 of 44

Dead Iris

Force: 1329 | Joined: 24th Jul 2007 | Posts: 199

VisionLab User VideoWrap User Windows User

Gold Member

Mellifluous wrote:

Dead Iris wrote:

ssj john, I as under the impression that it only had a gaming feature added. I wasn't aware it could view websites like the iphone. Interesting.
Yes it's just opinion, but at least try and make that opinion informed. Previous posts have you slamming the iPod touch for being to expensive and not doing much.

As I said earlier, Apple have a big market for these kind of iPods that border on mini computers. With them you can check email, view the internet (and you can zoom into websites so it works quite well) have a calender synching with Outlook to check your schedule, create post-it notes, custom Youtube, Facebook and other online applications... it's a pretty nifty thing.

There is absolutely no point in comparing Zunes to touches. But for the pure mp3 player department, Zune is better than Apple's pure mp3 players like Nano and Classic.
I read right off the Apple website. I must have just missed the part about beng able to view html websites.