You are viewing an archive of the old fxhome.com forums. The community has since moved to hitfilm.com.

Music and cutting

Posted: Tue, 16th Sep 2008, 9:42pm

Post 1 of 8

prokidsfilms

Force: 1000 | Joined: 15th Sep 2008 | Posts: 48

VisionLab User

Gold Member

how do you get music in it and cut parts like the begining and end
Posted: Tue, 16th Sep 2008, 10:21pm

Post 2 of 8

jawajohnny

Force: 1965 | Joined: 14th Dec 2007 | Posts: 829

VisionLab User VideoWrap User MuzzlePlug User Windows User

Gold Member

VisionLab is an effects program, not an editing program, so it isn't really capable with doing sound. If you do want to retain sound, you can follow these instructions, but you really want to do audio work, as well as any editing and cutting with an NLE, such as Windows Movie Maker.

So you're workflow should be something like this:

1. Edit your clips together in Movie Maker (or any other NLE), and save it as a AVI or MOV file.

2. Import the file into Visionlab and add the effects.

3. Render it out of Vlab, and import it back into Movie Maker, where you can do all the audio work.
Posted: Wed, 17th Sep 2008, 8:37am

Post 3 of 8

Simon K Jones

Force: 27955 | Joined: 1st Jan 2002 | Posts: 11683

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 5 Pro User MuzzlePlug User PowerPlug User PhotoKey 3 Plug-in User FXhome Movie Maker FXpreset Maker Windows User

FXhome Team Member

Although it's also worth noting that Windows Movie Maker is awful, and best avoided.
Posted: Wed, 17th Sep 2008, 7:08pm

Post 4 of 8

Plainly

Force: 1537 | Joined: 27th Dec 2006 | Posts: 767

VisionLab User FXpreset Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Tarn wrote:

Although it's also worth noting that Windows Movie Maker is awful, and best avoided.
I find it amusing how you say that in every single thread that mentions WMM since you have tried it out and judged in unworthy of Your Liking. wink (Not that I like it any more than you do, but hey.)
Posted: Wed, 17th Sep 2008, 8:09pm

Post 5 of 8

prokidsfilms

Force: 1000 | Joined: 15th Sep 2008 | Posts: 48

VisionLab User

Gold Member

yeah i dont use the window editing thing i have studio 11 editing system thanks
Posted: Wed, 17th Sep 2008, 11:22pm

Post 6 of 8

jawajohnny

Force: 1965 | Joined: 14th Dec 2007 | Posts: 829

VisionLab User VideoWrap User MuzzlePlug User Windows User

Gold Member

Yeah... I was just using WMM as an example. It is indeed awful... And of course I'm stuck with it now, because I upgraded to Vista and my old program doesn't work for Vista. sad

Anyway, the info I gave you should be basically the same for any other editing program. smile
Posted: Thu, 18th Sep 2008, 9:46am

Post 7 of 8

Simon K Jones

Force: 27955 | Joined: 1st Jan 2002 | Posts: 11683

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 5 Pro User MuzzlePlug User PowerPlug User PhotoKey 3 Plug-in User FXhome Movie Maker FXpreset Maker Windows User

FXhome Team Member

Plainly wrote:

Tarn wrote:

Although it's also worth noting that Windows Movie Maker is awful, and best avoided.
I find it amusing how you say that in every single thread that mentions WMM since you have tried it out and judged in unworthy of Your Liking. wink (Not that I like it any more than you do, but hey.)
Heh, sorry about that. Previously I'd always assumed it was a basic but capable program - ie, decent at what it's trying to do. Having now been forced to use it, however, I'm award that it doesn't even do what it's trying to do properly. smile
Posted: Thu, 18th Sep 2008, 3:57pm

Post 8 of 8

Plainly

Force: 1537 | Joined: 27th Dec 2006 | Posts: 767

VisionLab User FXpreset Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Tarn wrote:

Heh, sorry about that. Previously I'd always assumed it was a basic but capable program - ie, decent at what it's trying to do. Having now been forced to use it, however, I'm award that it doesn't even do what it's trying to do properly. smile
I wasn't criticising or anything - now, I don't have to do it. wink Honestly, though, WMM put together with Vista (although I do generally love Vista) is an utter wreck. I could live with the XP!WMM, but on my newer computer it's like OMG KILL ME NOW!!!1! It's not even able to slice a clip in two without not understanding what is happening anymore - *headdesk*.