You are viewing an archive of the old fxhome.com forums. The community has since moved to hitfilm.com.

Negative Ratings

Do you think I am right?

No86%[ 18 ]
Yes14%[ 3 ]

Total Votes : 21

Posted: Sun, 15th Feb 2009, 11:10pm

Post 1 of 92

Paradox Pictures

Force: 889 | Joined: 18th Mar 2008 | Posts: 387

CompositeLab Pro User EffectsLab Pro User VideoWrap User FXpreset Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Has anyone noticed that most people only rate posts negatively. If you browse around the members section you will see most of the ratings are negative compared to postitive ratings.
Posted: Sun, 15th Feb 2009, 11:15pm

Post 2 of 92

fertesz

Force: 1765 | Joined: 25th Apr 2003 | Posts: 470

VisionLab User VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Rating: +1

I don't think so. But I suppose FXhome team has some stats that could satisfy your curiosity on the matter.

I give both kinds of ratings, as I see fit, and I believe this is what most people do.
Posted: Sun, 15th Feb 2009, 11:22pm

Post 3 of 92

ben3308

Force: 5210 | Joined: 24th May 2004 | Posts: 6433

VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Rating: +3

Negative ratings aren't as prevalent as you think.

An issue as a newer member is that you, yourself may get negatives for things that seems harmless; but it's really just evidence of you not understanding quite how things go around here. Is this a big deal? No, not really.

But when you're a newer user and others around here are just as new and........inexperienced at the way things work in the FXHome forums, it can often become a hotbed of juvenile back-and-forth dialogue, which can annoy others and tempt them to rate down.

We all start out this way. In fact, I myself have more than 100 negative ratings, and I'm not that happiest about it, but that doesn't mean that, 3 or 4 years ago, I didn't deserve them.

That being said, there still is a sort of 'percent error' in the quality of posts every now and then, and some posts are just as susceptible to negatives as they are to positives in the eyes of a varied beholder. For instance, Aculag may say something clever that most new people, who don't understand his sarcastic comedic attitude, might rate down; while the older users will laugh in jest and rate up.

That's just how things go. You'll get used to it with time.

Movie Kid 4 wrote:

If you browse around the members section you will see most of the ratings are negative compared to postitive ratings.
Another big reason for this is that writing coherent, insightful posts takes more effort and is harder-earned than writing drivel that gets rated down. It's easy to be a troll, but it's often taxing to be an apt listener. As an effect, you see a lot more negatively-rated people - not by virtue of the fact that they're being unfairly rated - but that they saw the opportunity to act belligerent and just took it.

Yeah, there are thousands on here, and only about 40 or 50 have decently-positive ratings. But this isn't because there's a condemning system, it's because that list of users has made a conscious effort to make FXHome a better place to learn, speak, and be entertained.

And, I think until you realize that the positive status isn't a default setting, it's earned accolades, you'll have trouble with the whole thing.
Posted: Sun, 15th Feb 2009, 11:27pm

Post 4 of 92

B3N

Force: 3081 | Joined: 26th Feb 2006 | Posts: 1534

VisionLab User VideoWrap User FXpreset Maker Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

Rating: +1

Don't worry about it. It's just a red symbol with a red number. Nothing to worry about smile

They're supposed to be used to advise people which posts are worth reading and which ones are worth skipping. To me though I see people just doing it to say "you've been naughty, you did something bad, here's a -1 to prove it"
Posted: Sun, 15th Feb 2009, 11:31pm

Post 5 of 92

clement

Force: 430 | Joined: 14th Sep 2007 | Posts: 34

EffectsLab Pro User FXhome Movie Maker

Gold Member

Rating: +1

i have been one of those newer members effected by the negative votes. The one thing i would tell any new person on this site is that if you dont have anything nice to say dont say it at all. that motto has kept fxhome forums strong, and i soon hope to start getting positive ratings instead of all negatives
Posted: Mon, 16th Feb 2009, 12:01am

Post 6 of 92

Aculag

Force: 8365 | Joined: 21st Jun 2002 | Posts: 8581

EffectsLab Lite User VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

Rating: +4

Yes, you're right.
Posted: Mon, 16th Feb 2009, 12:07am

Post 7 of 92

spydurhank

Force: 1956 | Joined: 24th Jun 2008 | Posts: 1357

VisionLab User VideoWrap User FXpreset Maker Windows User FXhome Movie Maker

Gold Member

Rating: +1

I never really paid attention to that kind of stuff till about a week ago.
I guess it affects some poeple more than others when they see a negative rating, thier like "Whoa... what did I do"
Like the guys above said, don't sweat it or let it bother you so much.
Focus on having fun and learning anything and everything you can from the users here, even whoever gives someone else a bad rating. A lot can be learned from everyone. So here's a +1 for all you guys since you made very good points. Well you did to me anyway.

Hey
I like the color red by the way. biggrin
Posted: Mon, 16th Feb 2009, 12:09am

Post 8 of 92

Atom

Force: 4300 | Joined: 9th May 2004 | Posts: 7014

EffectsLab Lite User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Rating: +1

I'm the most negatively-rated user on the site. Ever. It doesn't bother me, I've still got 230 or so positive ratings to hold claim to.

I think most of the time negative ratings come out of newer users either seeing older posts or older users using humor, much like Ben mentioned, or some nostalgic topic in a thread and- because they either don't understand it or whatever- rate it down. And by virtue, other newer users see this use of the rating system and hop on the bandwagon.

And, really, this is cool. Because some of these posts are worthy of negative ratings. It's just rare that they actually are rated-down. When they are, people jump at the chance.

At least, that's what I think. People aren't more keen to rate down than rate up, but they are definitely much more likely to see a rated-down post and slap another negative on it arbitrarily because someone else did.

Frankly, the latter scenario is silly and annoying. I've had countless posts, even to today, that have been rated down maybe -1 or -2 from 3-5 years ago- not even terribly controversial posts- and have what I would suspect is a new member rummaging through the forums go back and rate it down as well; even though he doesn't know the time or context in which the post was made.

That's what irritates me about it all. Seeing a fresh -6 on a post with a joke from 5 years ago in a thread from 3 years ago- that's ridiculous. The overall number of ratings on my profile? The red marks on posts? No, not so much.
Posted: Mon, 16th Feb 2009, 12:14am

Post 9 of 92

Aculag

Force: 8365 | Joined: 21st Jun 2002 | Posts: 8581

EffectsLab Lite User VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

Rating: +1

I'm going to remember that post, Atom, so I can rate it down in a few years, just to prove your point.
Posted: Mon, 16th Feb 2009, 12:23am

Post 10 of 92

spydurhank

Force: 1956 | Joined: 24th Jun 2008 | Posts: 1357

VisionLab User VideoWrap User FXpreset Maker Windows User FXhome Movie Maker

Gold Member

That is a really good point Atom.
But for someone to do that to you is really kinda sad.
When someone I know does that or has it happen to them "Folks pretty much talking crap about them"
I just tell them...
Hey don't sweat it because they obviously have nothing better to do than say bad things about you, but the really insane thing is... at least they were thinking about you.
So here's +1 for you as well.
Another thing that might help is if someone is joking... they should maybe say that they arer joking so folks won't take it the wrong way.
That might bring down the bad ratings a bit. I hope.
Posted: Mon, 16th Feb 2009, 2:07am

Post 11 of 92

Evman

Force: 4382 | Joined: 25th Jan 2004 | Posts: 3609

VisionLab User VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

I used to really really care about this sorta thing. Now I really really don't. I just post whenever I have to say something. I've been here 5 years now (wow) and if there's one thing you learn is that it doesn't matter.
Posted: Mon, 16th Feb 2009, 2:55am

Post 12 of 92

D3L3T10N

Force: 317 | Joined: 23rd Jun 2007 | Posts: 472

CompositeLab Pro User FXhome Movie Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

I like how all the positive ratings stopped with Atom's post...
Posted: Mon, 16th Feb 2009, 3:02am

Post 13 of 92

Bolbi

Force: 408 | Joined: 22nd Apr 2006 | Posts: 429

EffectsLab Pro User MacOS User

Gold Member

S*ck it D3L3T10N.
Posted: Mon, 16th Feb 2009, 5:54am

Post 14 of 92

ben3308

Force: 5210 | Joined: 24th May 2004 | Posts: 6433

VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

K*ck it Bolbi.
Posted: Mon, 16th Feb 2009, 5:59am

Post 15 of 92

Atom

Force: 4300 | Joined: 9th May 2004 | Posts: 7014

EffectsLab Lite User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

One -1 comes out of this thread. Surprise, surprise; whose post is it on? rolleyes

EDIT: Seriously, guys? unsure
Posted: Mon, 16th Feb 2009, 6:08am

Post 16 of 92

Bolbi

Force: 408 | Joined: 22nd Apr 2006 | Posts: 429

EffectsLab Pro User MacOS User

Gold Member

Haha D3L3T10N'S -1 is gone. Curse you mods!!! sleep
Posted: Mon, 16th Feb 2009, 6:26am

Post 17 of 92

ben3308

Force: 5210 | Joined: 24th May 2004 | Posts: 6433

VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Bolbi wrote:

Haha D3L3T10N'S -1 is gone. Curse you mods!!! sleep
Start rating down posts superfluously, and watch out, the ability could be taken away from you altogether....
Posted: Mon, 16th Feb 2009, 6:35am

Post 18 of 92

Bolbi

Force: 408 | Joined: 22nd Apr 2006 | Posts: 429

EffectsLab Pro User MacOS User

Gold Member

Ask the Mods, I haven't rated a +1 or -1. I learned from Atom the ability to rate could be gone...

Last edited Mon, 16th Feb 2009, 6:35am; edited 1 times in total.

Posted: Mon, 16th Feb 2009, 6:35am

Post 19 of 92

Atom

Force: 4300 | Joined: 9th May 2004 | Posts: 7014

EffectsLab Lite User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Rating: +1

I added D3L3TION's -1 to begin with and took it off after thinking about it and realizing how silly it was to give.

And, after doing so, I get a -1 on both of my posts. How typical. rolleyes
Posted: Mon, 16th Feb 2009, 6:48am

Post 20 of 92

Bolbi

Force: 408 | Joined: 22nd Apr 2006 | Posts: 429

EffectsLab Pro User MacOS User

Gold Member

Rating: +1/-2

After awhile Atom, I wouldn't get mad at it, you should be happy that you have the most -1s! Be proud! That's quite the achievement! I have more +1's then -1's, so you are beating me! dernit! snear

And whenever there seems to be a discussion about ratings you seem to be in it, ol' buddy.
Posted: Mon, 16th Feb 2009, 7:59am

Post 21 of 92

Atom

Force: 4300 | Joined: 9th May 2004 | Posts: 7014

EffectsLab Lite User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Do you know what the phrase unintentionally condescending means, Bolbi?
Posted: Mon, 16th Feb 2009, 9:24am

Post 22 of 92

Sollthar

Force: 13360 | Joined: 30th Oct 2001 | Posts: 6094

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 2 Pro User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User MacOS User

SuperUser

The rating system is intended to highlight posts which the community thinks are worthwhile for whatever reason and to highlight posts which the community thinks are worth skipping for whatever reason.

I personally believe it does that quite well. Sure, there's some people misusing it (this very thread could be an example, as there are many ratings given here that don't really comply with the rating guidelines) but all in all, averaged out, I'd say it does very much have some relevance.

If obviously though, being on either end of the scale will most likely have little actual effect. People with lots of positive will probably shake it off as unimportant as they just like to help. People with lots of negative ratings will most likely shake it off as unimportant because it would mean they'd have to think hard about what they're doing wrong. (Vladkob comes to mind here who surely holds some kind of record as he got most of his -1's in one thread, and deserved at that) smile

I so far have 5 negative ones and I'm well aware why I got them. All of them were handed out to me for religious jokes. So it is indeed a reflection I can take into consideration and will try to keep my jokes about the subject more or less to myself and those who share them. smile

B3N wrote:

To me though I see people just doing it to say "you've been naughty, you did something bad, here's a -1 to prove it"
Which is the very point Ben. If you anger people that much they'll think you've been naughty and want to prove it, you did something wrong you should think about. And the vote reflects that.
That's EXACTLY what they do.
Posted: Mon, 16th Feb 2009, 9:40am

Post 23 of 92

Moonloon1

Force: 2344 | Joined: 15th Oct 2007 | Posts: 334

VisionLab User VideoWrap User MacOS User

Gold Member

I never even knew about a rating system here until about a week or so ago. I don't pay any attention to it, hmmm except when someone brings it up. But I really don't care what anyone think about me, thats not my problem, it's theirs. Hey, I can't give myself a -1?
Posted: Mon, 16th Feb 2009, 9:56am

Post 24 of 92

Sollthar

Force: 13360 | Joined: 30th Oct 2001 | Posts: 6094

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 2 Pro User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User MacOS User

SuperUser

Rating: +2

I really don't care what anyone think about me, thats not my problem, it's theirs.
While I can't please everyone and it shouldn't be a goal to do so, to entirely not care about the impact I or my behavior have on other people appears very, very ignorant and bitter to me. But maybe it's just the way I was brought up. Fortunately, not everyone thinks as moonloon1.
Posted: Mon, 16th Feb 2009, 10:29am

Post 25 of 92

Simon K Jones

Force: 27955 | Joined: 1st Jan 2002 | Posts: 11683

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 5 Pro User MuzzlePlug User PowerPlug User PhotoKey 3 Plug-in User FXhome Movie Maker FXpreset Maker Windows User

FXhome Team Member

Sollthar wrote:

I really don't care what anyone think about me, thats not my problem, it's theirs.
While I can't please everyone and it shouldn't be a goal to do so, to entirely not care about the impact I or my behavior have on other people appears very, very ignorant and bitter to me. But maybe it's just the way I was brought up. Fortunately, not everyone thinks as moonloon1.
Well said, Sollthar. Being considerate towards others is the core principle that maintains any community.
Posted: Mon, 16th Feb 2009, 10:34am

Post 26 of 92

pdrg

Force: 5405 | Joined: 4th Dec 2006 | Posts: 4143

VisionLab User Windows User

Gold Member

I rarely -1 anybody, so to get a -1 from me you really have to earn it. I've had a few, can't remember what for, and not really that bothered any more, I can easily see more people have enjoyed my posts overall than suffered, that's nice.

I'm not a fan of people throwing +1's about like sweets at a pantomime either, it devalues them. I think they really only belong in factual posts - votes on opinions are "I agree with you so I'm patting you on the head", when the post hasn't added to the wider forum quality necessarily.

Or maybe that's taking it all too seriously :-$ You'll find my true feelings on the matter in my sig wink
Posted: Mon, 16th Feb 2009, 10:37am

Post 27 of 92

ben3308

Force: 5210 | Joined: 24th May 2004 | Posts: 6433

VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

pdrg wrote:

I'm not a fan of people throwing +1's about like sweets at a pantomime either, it devalues them.
That's got to be one of most ridiculously apt metaphors I've read in a long time.

Also, I hate you for that sig. Luckily, I'm already prone to artifacting, maybe the curse will reverse my luck?

smile
Posted: Mon, 16th Feb 2009, 2:38pm

Post 28 of 92

Paradox Pictures

Force: 889 | Joined: 18th Mar 2008 | Posts: 387

CompositeLab Pro User EffectsLab Pro User VideoWrap User FXpreset Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Rating: +2/-2

Atom wrote:

I'm the most negatively-rated user on the site.
I couln't tell......
Posted: Mon, 16th Feb 2009, 4:08pm

Post 29 of 92

Limey

Force: 547 | Joined: 11th Sep 2005 | Posts: 752

Gold Member

http://fxhome.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=35638&highlight=&sid=
^haha
Posted: Mon, 16th Feb 2009, 5:36pm

Post 30 of 92

Moonloon1

Force: 2344 | Joined: 15th Oct 2007 | Posts: 334

VisionLab User VideoWrap User MacOS User

Gold Member

Sollthar wrote:

I really don't care what anyone think about me, thats not my problem, it's theirs.
While I can't please everyone and it shouldn't be a goal to do so, to entirely not care about the impact I or my behavior have on other people appears very, very ignorant and bitter to me. But maybe it's just the way I was brought up. Fortunately, not everyone thinks as moonloon1.
I meant that people sometimes do not agree with my social, political, moral, faith or how I do what I do in general. I am not going to loose sleep over it. It's just someone else's opinion. And I meant I don't care either way about a rating system. If I let things people say about me get to me then I would be wasting energy. It would make me bitter. But Solthar, I am not ignorant or bitter, I may think that about someone on occasion, but I would not tell them.
Posted: Mon, 16th Feb 2009, 8:19pm

Post 31 of 92

spydurhank

Force: 1956 | Joined: 24th Jun 2008 | Posts: 1357

VisionLab User VideoWrap User FXpreset Maker Windows User FXhome Movie Maker

Gold Member

Moonloon1 wrote:

Sollthar wrote:

I really don't care what anyone think about me, thats not my problem, it's theirs.
While I can't please everyone and it shouldn't be a goal to do so, to entirely not care about the impact I or my behavior have on other people appears very, very ignorant and bitter to me. But maybe it's just the way I was brought up. Fortunately, not everyone thinks as moonloon1.
I meant that people sometimes do not agree with my social, political, moral, faith or how I do what I do in general. I am not going to loose sleep over it. It's just someone else's opinion. And I meant I don't care either way about a rating system. If I let things people say about me get to me then I would be wasting energy. It would make me bitter. But Solthar, I am not ignorant or bitter, I may think that about someone on occasion, but I would not tell them.
Good call Moonloon1.
Do yo guys see how that happens? I understood what he was saying and why he said it. He won't give folks the time of day that have nothing better to do but be negative. That doesn't include constructive criticism. He's right to not want to waste his time with folks like that. I'ts not good for you.
I for damn sure don't think he's Bitter or ignorant nor did he come across in that fashion. At least he didn't to me.
You guys do know that there's a civil way to actually find something out, without insulting someone because you don't like how they think or how you imagine yourself otherworldly powerfull enough to think that you know what they think.
Yeah um you "ask" what they meant before saying something "not cool" to them.
You're not code breakers or mind readers so don't assume to know what folks are talking about when you read their post.
Wow calling someone out in that manner...ignorant and bitter. What's up with that?
Totally and childishly uncalled for and you can't say that it wasn't because you never bothered to ask the guy.
I may not agree with everyones opinion but I would never call someone out like that. Not classy at all. It may even anger me but I also would never give someone a negative rating. Never have which again I think is childish, but hey that's just me.

Hey Moonloon1,
Let me ask you something...
What's your age?
I'm only asking because I'm 36 and as I got older I realized several things.
"This is not a crack at anyone's age but made for anyone in general".

Don't think you know everything, don't make a mountain out of a mole hill, explain yourself when someone blatantly insults you so that they understand where you're coming from and things don't escalate.
You did all these things, some folks would have come back with more insults and totaly lost the point that they first tried to make.
I like your style. biggrin

P.S.
I think this should be changed to Negative comments.
Posted: Mon, 16th Feb 2009, 8:30pm

Post 32 of 92

Simon K Jones

Force: 27955 | Joined: 1st Jan 2002 | Posts: 11683

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 5 Pro User MuzzlePlug User PowerPlug User PhotoKey 3 Plug-in User FXhome Movie Maker FXpreset Maker Windows User

FXhome Team Member

spydurhank wrote:

You guys do know that there's a civil way to actually find something out, without insulting someone because you don't like how they think or how you imagine yourself otherworldly powerfull enough to think that you know what they think.
By 'you guys', I suspect you're including me. I'd just like to point out that I was agreeing with Sollthar's sentiment about being considerate. I wasn't also calling moonloon 'ignorant and bitter'. smile

Though to be fair I don't think Sollthar was exactly calling moonloon that either, he was just taking issue with the rather blunt way in which moonloon had asserted his initial disregard for other's opinions. Now that moonloon has elaborated on his initial point it's a bit clearer what he meant.

I still would argue that valuing other people's opinions is a vital part of self-awareness and improving yourself, so disagree with moonloon's general outlook, but I'm in no way calling him ignorant or bitter.
Posted: Mon, 16th Feb 2009, 8:35pm

Post 33 of 92

pdrg

Force: 5405 | Joined: 4th Dec 2006 | Posts: 4143

VisionLab User Windows User

Gold Member

ben3308 wrote:


Also, I hate you for that sig. Luckily, I'm already prone to artifacting, maybe the curse will reverse my luck?
Thank you for walking into my trap Ben, much appreciated wink
Posted: Mon, 16th Feb 2009, 8:42pm

Post 34 of 92

Atom

Force: 4300 | Joined: 9th May 2004 | Posts: 7014

EffectsLab Lite User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Movie Kid 4 wrote:

Atom wrote:

I'm the most negatively-rated user on the site.
I couln't tell......
rolleyes

Well, seeing as you've only been on here a little bit of time, Movie Kid, I'm going to assume you didn't know me back 5 years ago, when I accrued the bulk of my negative ratings.

Look, I'm not trying to be a douche. I told myself I'd leave FXhome when I got to college but decided to stick with it- every day on here even- because I have a base of people who ask me for filmmaking help that I like to answer. That's really the only reason.

And quite frankly, it's very irritating and frustrating to see a ridiculous, recent resurgence of negative ratings on, well, all of my posts. And I can only assume it's from people like you. New users that don't know what they're talking about/reading from. I don't mean this in a rude way, man, no. I'm not intentionally trying to get on your nerves, but certainly you can see my aggression.

I took time to write a cohesive, paragraph-laden post on negative ratings; only to see it -1'd as all others were +1'd. Now doesn't that seem a bit silly to you?

It is this way, at least nowadays, because people see me rated down and feel they're justified in doing so as well. That's the fact of it. Look at an exchange between me and Aculag in a recent thread, I've got -6 and -7 on each of my posts. Not terribly bad ones, not terribly rude, not terribly annoying. Aculag has -2 and -3 for the very same kind of posts.

Now, come on. That's rather ridiculous, isn't it? Do you realize I've accumulated nearly -60 in just 2 weeks? All because people are kicking a dead horse, over-negative-ing my posts. And I firmly believe that. I really had no interest in getting into this, because I'm confident 3-5 years ago a lot of my mass negatives were my own doing, but come on. These days? -7 on an average, mildly controversial post?

And what's worse, in recent weeks I've been getting +1 and +2 on some of these posts, only to have those ratings stripped back off of it. I quote Mugatu in saying 'I feel like I'm taking crazy pills!'.

But enough of that.
Posted: Mon, 16th Feb 2009, 9:11pm

Post 35 of 92

Bolbi

Force: 408 | Joined: 22nd Apr 2006 | Posts: 429

EffectsLab Pro User MacOS User

Gold Member

Atom wrote:

Movie Kid 4 wrote:

Atom wrote:

I'm the most negatively-rated user on the site.
I couln't tell......
rolleyes

I told myself I'd leave FXhome when I got to college but decided to stick with it- every day on here even- because I have a base of people who ask me for filmmaking help that I like to answer. That's really the only reason.
rolleyes
Posted: Mon, 16th Feb 2009, 10:10pm

Post 36 of 92

SpiderShot

Force: 20 | Joined: 16th Feb 2009 | Posts: 13

Member

Atom wrote:

Movie Kid 4 wrote:

Atom wrote:

I'm the most negatively-rated user on the site.
I couln't tell......
rolleyes

Well, seeing as you've only been on here a little bit of time, Movie Kid, I'm going to assume you didn't know me back 5 years ago, when I accrued the bulk of my negative ratings.
I just joined, so I don't know about most of this, but you seem really annoying. oink
Posted: Mon, 16th Feb 2009, 11:07pm

Post 37 of 92

Biblmac

Force: 852 | Joined: 12th Jun 2007 | Posts: 1513

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User

Gold Member

Spidershot wrote:

I just joined, so I don't know about most of this, but you seem really annoying.


That is kinda the problem, you are new and don't know about most of this, therefore you see him as annoying. That is where he is getting most of his negative ratings nowadays. People like you (not trying to pick on you) see his posts, think he is annoying and start rating him down. This doesn't just happen to Atom either.
Posted: Mon, 16th Feb 2009, 11:17pm

Post 38 of 92

SpiderShot

Force: 20 | Joined: 16th Feb 2009 | Posts: 13

Member

Biblmac wrote:

People like you (not trying to pick on you) see his posts, think he is annoying and start rating him down. This doesn't just happen to Atom either.
No, I know him in real life and he's just as awful, haha. oink
Posted: Mon, 16th Feb 2009, 11:22pm

Post 39 of 92

Biblmac

Force: 852 | Joined: 12th Jun 2007 | Posts: 1513

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User

Gold Member

Well that is different, go crazy!
Posted: Mon, 16th Feb 2009, 11:24pm

Post 40 of 92

SpiderShot

Force: 20 | Joined: 16th Feb 2009 | Posts: 13

Member

Nah, I won't. biggrin

oink
Posted: Mon, 16th Feb 2009, 11:26pm

Post 41 of 92

Evman

Force: 4382 | Joined: 25th Jan 2004 | Posts: 3609

VisionLab User VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

Annoyannoyannoyannoyannoyannoyannoyannoyannoyannoyannoyannoyannoyannoyannoyannoyannoyannoyannoyannoyannoyannoyannoyannoyannoyannoyannoyannoyannoyannoyannoyannoyannoyannoyannoyannoyannoyannoyannoyannoyannoyannoyannoyannoyannoyannoyannoyannoyannoyannoyannoyannoyannoyannoyannoyannoyannoyannoyannoyannoyannoyannoyannoyannoyannoyannoyannoyannoyannoyannoyannoyannoyannoyannoyannoyannoyannoyannoyannoyannoyannoyannoyannoyannoyannoyannoyannoyannoyannoyannoyannoyannoyannoyannoyannoyannoyannoyannoyannoyannoyannoyannoyannoyannoyannoyannoyannoyannoyannoyannoyannoyannoyannoyannoyannoyannoyannoyannoyannoyannoyannoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted: Mon, 16th Feb 2009, 11:32pm

Post 42 of 92

Moonloon1

Force: 2344 | Joined: 15th Oct 2007 | Posts: 334

VisionLab User VideoWrap User MacOS User

Gold Member

spydurhank wrote:


Hey Moonloon1,
Let me ask you something...
What's your age?
I'm only asking because I'm 36 and as I got older I realized several things.

Don't think you know everything, don't make a mountain out of a mole hill, explain yourself when someone blatantly insults you so that they understand where you're coming from and things don't escalate.
You did all these things, some folks would have come back with more insults and totaly lost the point that they first tried to make.
I like your style. biggrin

P.S.
I think this should be changed to Negative comments.
Thank you, I'm 53, been there done that, rode my Harley with Hells Angels been to church with the nicest and sometimes the most phoney people (on both sides). I've taken more crap than most and no one can tell me anything that I will let piss me off. Touch my family then watch out, otherwise I am a lovable teddy bear. This is also what I mean by I don't care about ratings. I'm not here (on this forum or earth) to do anything but learn and to help a few that I can offer my life time of learned talents and experience with. I tend to be brutally honest with most people and I can tell when someone doesn't really want the truth. And yes I don't know everything, another reason I'm here.
Posted: Mon, 16th Feb 2009, 11:40pm

Post 43 of 92

Thrawn

Force: 1995 | Joined: 11th Aug 2006 | Posts: 1962

CompositeLab Pro User EffectsLab Lite User FXhome Movie Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

The real issue I have with the negative rating system is that almost every single one of my posts that have been rated down have been political. The posts weren't said in an offending manner (besides one, which I did deserve a -1), but rather it was rated down because the user disagreed with it. Why should someone skip over my post simply because someone else, whose rather trigger happy, disagrees with me? This is why I've come to respect FXhome's political discussion.

But really, I'd appreciate it if before you press the -1 button on my posts and everyone else's posts, that you consider if your rating it down because the community should skip over it, or simply because you personally disagree with it. If someone were to ask how to film a house fire, and I said stock footage, and Tarn says CGI, I could disagree with it, but I won't rate him down. Now, if Tarn had said to just start an actual fire in the house, it would be proper for me to use the -1 feature. My point is, don't use it immaturely.
Posted: Mon, 16th Feb 2009, 11:45pm

Post 44 of 92

Fill

Force: 1257 | Joined: 1st Jul 2005 | Posts: 1652

CompositeLab Lite User EffectsLab Lite User Windows User

Gold Member

Rating: +2

Ahhh yes, the annual taking-the-ratings-system-way-too-seriously thread. smile
Posted: Mon, 16th Feb 2009, 11:59pm

Post 45 of 92

Bolbi

Force: 408 | Joined: 22nd Apr 2006 | Posts: 429

EffectsLab Pro User MacOS User

Gold Member

Fill wrote:

Ahhh yes, the annual taking-the-ratings-system-way-too-seriously thread. smile
Annual? More like monthly.
Posted: Tue, 17th Feb 2009, 12:12am

Post 46 of 92

spydurhank

Force: 1956 | Joined: 24th Jun 2008 | Posts: 1357

VisionLab User VideoWrap User FXpreset Maker Windows User FXhome Movie Maker

Gold Member

Tarn wrote:

spydurhank wrote:

You guys do know that there's a civil way to actually find something out, without insulting someone because you don't like how they think or how you imagine yourself otherworldly powerfull enough to think that you know what they think.
By 'you guys', I suspect you're including me. I'd just like to point out that I was agreeing with Sollthar's sentiment about being considerate. I wasn't also calling moonloon 'ignorant and bitter'. smile

Though to be fair I don't think Sollthar was exactly calling moonloon that either, he was just taking issue with the rather blunt way in which moonloon had asserted his initial disregard for other's opinions. Now that moonloon has elaborated on his initial point it's a bit clearer what he meant.

I still would argue that valuing other people's opinions is a vital part of self-awareness and improving yourself, so disagree with moonloon's general outlook, but I'm in no way calling him ignorant or bitter.
That's cool if you want to take it that way but that's not how I meant it. Ya see... I'm not going to insult you because you agree with some one about something that I myself don't agree with. That would be very stupid and spiteful. I'm to old for that crap.
I was just making the point that You "anyone in general" shouldn't say something like that about someone for something as silly as thinking that you know exactly what they were trying to say. which Solthar didn't.
I think he was insulting moonloon by the way. My perception may be wrong but I don't believe so. Why else would he say "Fortunatley not everyone thinks as moonloon". It's like he's saying he's wrong for even having a thought.
I'm not angry or anything like that mind you, but it does upset me when an older member treats someone like that.
What I hope you realize is that I look up to all the members on FX home.
Including the youngest ones but I'm not too keen on seeing one or more of the most insightful members talk down to someone for no reason, other than a misunderstanding of what someone said or didn't say. I hold all you guys in high regard and I expect some form of maturity from you. I mean come on really? You guys come up with amazing ideas and ways to make films and instead of using that brain power of yours to ask someone what they meant... You attack with your words. You guys are better than that. You know it, and I know it.

I'm not goona be a jerk about it but I'm damn sure gonna tell you, "that was not cool"
See what I did there? I said "it's not cool". I didn't insult the man. Which is what in my opinion Solthar did, and went out of his way to do.
If he didn't mean things to sound the way they did, then I apolagize for sounding upset.
If you assume that you know something, you actually really don't know anything so it's better to ask before you gracefully put your foot in your mouth.
Like I said, I may not agree with everyones opinion but that's no cause to insult someone.
Can I insult myself by giving myself a -1? That way I can say I did. biggrin
Posted: Tue, 17th Feb 2009, 12:45am

Post 47 of 92

Atom

Force: 4300 | Joined: 9th May 2004 | Posts: 7014

EffectsLab Lite User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Rating: -3

Tarn wrote:

I still would argue that valuing other people's opinions is a vital part of self-awareness and improving yourself, so disagree with moonloon's general outlook, but I'm in no way calling him ignorant or bitter.
Exactly, that's why you guys hired me so many years ago.

Moonloon, you are ignorant and bitter.

You're welcome, Tarn. wink

And spydurhank, Sollthar's almost always got that 'tude that gives him a double-standard on ratings. He's had it for years. The same mindset that makes him think he's justified in criticizing us using 'kids' in our superhero movies- 'kids' that are older than the people he used to play his superhero when he first got into it. wink The mods? They just don't see it/ignore because they're so in love with him and his movies. biggrin

And once more for safe measure, I'll make it explicitly clear that this entire post is a joke. For those that would rate me down on this emotionally, thinking I'm being serious, now you know. You're stupid for needing this disclaimer- but here it is anyway.
Posted: Tue, 17th Feb 2009, 1:09am

Post 48 of 92

DVStudio

Force: 4983 | Joined: 22nd Nov 2007 | Posts: 1845

CompositeLab Pro User EffectsLab Pro User PhotoKey 4 User FXpreset Maker FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Wow. I never really though of how many negative ratings are given. I try to be even with the negatives and positives ratings I give out, and only give them when it is really neccessary. Nah, I'm not -1 happy.

We'll just need to even out all them -1's with a load of +1's!!!!!!!! JK
Posted: Tue, 17th Feb 2009, 2:16am

Post 49 of 92

Moonloon1

Force: 2344 | Joined: 15th Oct 2007 | Posts: 334

VisionLab User VideoWrap User MacOS User

Gold Member

"Atom": Moonloon, you are ignorant and bitter.


Thank you Atom for knowing me enough to call me ignorant and bitter. I hear you like I hear my three year old telling me to "Stop singing. Papa", not seriously and with a smile on my face.
Posted: Tue, 17th Feb 2009, 2:25am

Post 50 of 92

Atom

Force: 4300 | Joined: 9th May 2004 | Posts: 7014

EffectsLab Lite User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Atom wrote:

And once more for safe measure, I'll make it explicitly clear that this entire post is a joke. For those that would rate me down on this emotionally, thinking I'm being serious, now you know. You're stupid for needing this disclaimer- but here it is anyway.

Moonloon1 wrote:

"Atom": Moonloon, you are ignorant and bitter.


Thank you Atom for knowing me enough to call me ignorant and bitter. I hear you like I hear my three year old telling me to "Stop singing. Papa", not seriously and with a smile on my face.
rolleyes

Methinks the exact type of people who I wrote that post-script for didn't take the time to actually read it. smile And, if you want me to be completely honest, it was one of the most egocentric, self-centered, ridiculous things I've read from a user in recent times on this forum- let alone from someone who claims to be an adult- to say 'I really don't care what anyone think about me, thats not my problem, it's theirs.', buddy. I mean, are you serious?

I refrained from that point earlier, but come on. You have the gall to insult me after just making the point that you don't care what people say to you or how you talk to others? biggrin

That's coming from a user who's been here long enough to see a breadth of people and attitudes pass through; and that attitude permeate in himself at points as well. I may not be as old as you, and I hate to play the 'forum seniority card', but I'm pretty sure I know these forums better than you. And that kind of ignorant attitude -even if unintentional- won't be tolerated. Maybe by me, sure, but not by the community.

And my point about ratings still stands. -37 in 3 weeks, none for inflammatory or outright controversial posts. Frivolous, really. That still irritates me, even if the huge total of minuses I've get doesn't any more.
Posted: Tue, 17th Feb 2009, 3:18am

Post 51 of 92

D3L3T10N

Force: 317 | Joined: 23rd Jun 2007 | Posts: 472

CompositeLab Pro User FXhome Movie Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

Rating: +1

Atom wrote:


And my point about ratings still stands. -37 in 3 weeks, none for inflammatory or outright controversial posts. Frivolous, really. That still irritates me, even if the huge total of minuses I've get doesn't any more.
I think the point of the ratings system is to get other people's opinions on your posts. If you thought your posts would have warranted any -1's then you wouldn't have posted them. What you view as frivolous is obviously important to other people. Your view of other people's opinions of your posts is exactly why you can't rate your own.
Posted: Tue, 17th Feb 2009, 3:24am

Post 52 of 92

Bolbi

Force: 408 | Joined: 22nd Apr 2006 | Posts: 429

EffectsLab Pro User MacOS User

Gold Member

Rating: +1

D3L3T10N wrote:

Atom wrote:


And my point about ratings still stands. -37 in 3 weeks, none for inflammatory or outright controversial posts. Frivolous, really. That still irritates me, even if the huge total of minuses I've get doesn't any more.
I think the point of the ratings system is to get other people's opinions on your posts. If you thought your posts would have warranted any -1's then you wouldn't have posted them. What you view as frivolous is obviously important to other people. Your view of other people's opinions of your posts is exactly why you can't rate your own.
Spot on D3L3T10N, for that i shall REWARD you with a gift of a +1. Winkity wink.
Posted: Tue, 17th Feb 2009, 4:14am

Post 53 of 92

Atom

Force: 4300 | Joined: 9th May 2004 | Posts: 7014

EffectsLab Lite User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

True, but in retrospect people can normally decipher why they got -1 on their posts at a second glance. I used to be able to, but it becomes added on such consistent basis- on posts sometimes without more than a comment of 'yes' or 'no'- that I would consider the rating frivolous.

Go ahead, take a look. I know how the rating system works, I've been through and here enough to figure it out. biggrin I've even had my negative-rating button removed and re-added in my tenure. My thing is, it's only been a recent thing for my posts- laden with an attitude and content that's been the same for a while- are only just now getting bombarded with a plethora of minuses. It's frustrating.

Last edited Tue, 17th Feb 2009, 4:18am; edited 1 times in total.

Posted: Tue, 17th Feb 2009, 4:14am

Post 54 of 92

Biblmac

Force: 852 | Joined: 12th Jun 2007 | Posts: 1513

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User

Gold Member

Sorry to pop in, and I know that Atom can handle his own fights, but I can't help but jump in. I have seen some of the posts that Atom is talking about, and the ones I saw weren't bad at all. The "newbies" of the forums just got mad because they can't take criticism.

On the other hand I don't see why any of this matters, I don't judge any one on here by their positive or negative voted posts. I know that Atom is a good filmmaker and a helpful one at that, so can't we just end this petty argument.

Last edited Tue, 17th Feb 2009, 4:23am; edited 1 times in total.

Posted: Tue, 17th Feb 2009, 4:18am

Post 55 of 92

Evman

Force: 4382 | Joined: 25th Jan 2004 | Posts: 3609

VisionLab User VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

Why is this pissing contest still going on when everyone is facing into the wind?
Posted: Tue, 17th Feb 2009, 4:19am

Post 56 of 92

Atom

Force: 4300 | Joined: 9th May 2004 | Posts: 7014

EffectsLab Lite User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Because we like wet pants.
Posted: Tue, 17th Feb 2009, 9:05am

Post 57 of 92

spydurhank

Force: 1956 | Joined: 24th Jun 2008 | Posts: 1357

VisionLab User VideoWrap User FXpreset Maker Windows User FXhome Movie Maker

Gold Member

Biblmac wrote:

Sorry to pop in, and I know that Atom can handle his own fights, but I can't help but jump in. I have seen some of the posts that Atom is talking about, and the ones I saw weren't bad at all. The "newbies" of the forums just got mad because they can't take criticism.

On the other hand I don't see why any of this matters, I don't judge any one on here by their positive or negative voted posts. I know that Atom is a good filmmaker and a helpful one at that, so can't we just end this petty argument.
Dude, you are right to the T.
Once I sober up then, I'm gonna give Atom a +1 because he is a good film maker and wether he knows it or not, he's taught me a crap load of stuff having to do with making films. He may not like it but I sure do. I believe that he's a good kid at heart even though he seems kinda harsh at times. maybe It's just me but I think he expects more from certain folks than others and there's nothing wrong with that. We were all tards and acted stupid when we were kids so we shouldn't judge when others do it. Atom if I sounded like a jerk to you... I gave you and the first few guys a +1 at the begining of this thread by the way... I'm sorry and my only beef is that I don't think that folks should be talked down to for no good reason. That includes you, me or any member just because you have an idea or thought that is not the same as someone elses.
So I'm gonna do my best and sober up but in the mean time, can you guys give us old folks a break please?
We're just trying to learn what we can before we go senile.
I myself just want to make at least one good movie before my time comes and I want you guys to be proud of it because I learned the proper way of making films from you.
P.S.
Moonloon...
No one knows you but you my man. their not god so they can't judge.
I'm right behind you brother...36 and climbing.

P.S.
I think all of us FX homers in the states and elsewhere should have a little get together and meet. I can drink but you guys have to be sober. Ha!
Right or wrong... Before my dad bit the dust in the Nam, he used to tell me that you never really know a man "person" till you have a drink with them and get to know them. knowing that I would rather spend my time talking and learning from you then acting like we were in 1st grade and acting like we're still newborns.
Does that make sense to you guys at all?
Posted: Tue, 17th Feb 2009, 3:47pm

Post 58 of 92

No Respite Productions

Force: 985 | Joined: 4th Dec 2006 | Posts: 482

EffectsLab Pro User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Actually I think arranging a meet and drink the UK and US would be an ace idea, allowing all of us to network, maybe even set up projects together?

Don't know about you guys but all of my mates have hobbies that aren't really film related. So when I get them to act and help out with film making, it's always difficult to get them to commit their time because they normally have other things or hobbies to do.

The above means it is very difficult to get anything sorted and completed within a reasonable time frame.

Maybe something for the FXHome bods to consider?
Posted: Tue, 17th Feb 2009, 4:02pm

Post 59 of 92

Simon K Jones

Force: 27955 | Joined: 1st Jan 2002 | Posts: 11683

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 5 Pro User MuzzlePlug User PowerPlug User PhotoKey 3 Plug-in User FXhome Movie Maker FXpreset Maker Windows User

FXhome Team Member

We've wanted to organise some kind of FXhome meet-up for a while now, probably London-based. There have been meet-ups in the past, of course, such as the Zurich Nightcast expedition, the 2008 FXhome Film shoot and Sci-fi London back in 2007.

Definitely be good to organise another one.
Posted: Tue, 17th Feb 2009, 9:45pm

Post 60 of 92

D3L3T10N

Force: 317 | Joined: 23rd Jun 2007 | Posts: 472

CompositeLab Pro User FXhome Movie Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

Atom wrote:

True, but in retrospect people can normally decipher why they got -1 on their posts at a second glance. I used to be able to, but it becomes added on such consistent basis- on posts sometimes without more than a comment of 'yes' or 'no'- that I would consider the rating frivolous.

Go ahead, take a look. I know how the rating system works, I've been through and here enough to figure it out. biggrin I've even had my negative-rating button removed and re-added in my tenure. My thing is, it's only been a recent thing for my posts- laden with an attitude and content that's been the same for a while- are only just now getting bombarded with a plethora of minuses. It's frustrating.
Alright, I see where you're coming from.

Tarn wrote:

We've wanted to organise some kind of FXhome meet-up for a while now, probably London-based. There have been meet-ups in the past, of course, such as the Zurich Nightcast expedition, the 2008 FXhome Film shoot and Sci-fi London back in 2007.
Any chance of having one in the US?
Posted: Tue, 17th Feb 2009, 9:46pm

Post 61 of 92

DVStudio

Force: 4983 | Joined: 22nd Nov 2007 | Posts: 1845

CompositeLab Pro User EffectsLab Pro User PhotoKey 4 User FXpreset Maker FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Rating: +1/-1

Hey Atom-
I think that you're an awsome film maker. I respect you greatly for it and hope you continue making awesome films and being a helpful film maker here. That said:
Not that its really any of my business, but please stop complaining about the ratings. It is getting rather annoying, and I can put up with a lot.

You made the posts, not us. I only rate posts when they are neccessary, and I agree with you. Some of them are a little excessive and I wouldn't like that people may be targeting you, if that were the case, but it's not. I think that it is your attitude that you think you're above everyone else. And saying that I have the record for negative posts and you're proud of it. Wow. That's the attitude that is getting you -1s. And by making waivers saying we're stupid and not make neagive ratings on your posts, I think that would warrant a -1. I didn't give it one, but one could make the argument that it deserves it none the less.

Quote: FX Home ( http://fxhome.com/support/faq/rating#a10 )
I don't want my post to be rated, can I make it exempt?
No, if you want to post on our forum you have to play the game. Even if your post isn't rated people will still mentally decide if it's bad or good, this is just a way to share ideas. If you don't want people to rate your post then don't post it.

If you are truly adverse to the rating system you can turn it off via your 'forum options', people will still be able to rate your posts but you will no longer see these ratings.


Just my thoughts. Sorry if it seems mean, but it's just getting slightly annoying. I think others will agree with that.
Posted: Tue, 17th Feb 2009, 10:04pm

Post 62 of 92

Sollthar

Force: 13360 | Joined: 30th Oct 2001 | Posts: 6094

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 2 Pro User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User MacOS User

SuperUser

Rating: +2

Ah, seems like I missed a lot. Heh.

Just to clear that up for Moonloon1 and spydurhank:

When someone writes a post, he uses language to communicate thoughts. Spydurhanks statement that you can't know what someone else thinks goes everywhere - even for him when he assumes that I think moonloon is ignorant and bitter and insulted him or am childish. However, we're bound to communicate and interprete language as a mean to do just that - we assume what someone wrote is what he thinks.
So when moonloon1 wrote: I really don't care what anyone think about meI read that exactly as what those words mean. don't care what anyone thinks.
And in my view, if someone doesn't care what anyone thinks, he's ignorant and bitter because I believe that to be highly anti-social. If that viewpoint insults someone, then I'm sorry, but so be it. And that's all I said and still say.

Moonloon1 has now further enhanced that statement and it sounds different to me now. I totally see where he's coming from and don't disagree with him at all. In fact, he now wrote a lot of things that I totally agree with and totally respect. So I don't believe his ignorant and bitter and apologize for suggesting he was. The original statement appeared that way though.

And by writing "I'm happy not everyone thinks as moonloon1" I probably misphrased as well. I should have written "I'm happy not everyone doesn't care at all what anyone thinks" and I stand on that as well. I AM happy that people care about others opinions and their impacts. Very. The world would be a very, very nasty place otherwise.

But Solthar, I am not ignorant or bitter, I may think that about someone on occasion, but I would not tell them.
I would and do. smile
Main reason I don't only have friends in this nice round world. Never been one to sit on his mouth. Some people respect that because you always know where I stand, some people don't because I might come off harsh and ignorant myself sometimes. I'm well aware of that.

So I hope you get where I was coming from and accept the apology since I did in fact seem to have insulted you wrongfully.
Posted: Tue, 17th Feb 2009, 10:31pm

Post 63 of 92

Atom

Force: 4300 | Joined: 9th May 2004 | Posts: 7014

EffectsLab Lite User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Sollthar wrote:

I would and do. smile
You ain't lying. wink
Posted: Tue, 17th Feb 2009, 10:55pm

Post 64 of 92

Biblmac

Force: 852 | Joined: 12th Jun 2007 | Posts: 1513

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User

Gold Member

Rating: +1

DVStudio wrote:

you think you're above everyone else.
He isn't?
jk

Oh and how come on the poll there isn't a "ratings don't matter" option...
Posted: Wed, 18th Feb 2009, 2:07am

Post 65 of 92

DVStudio

Force: 4983 | Joined: 22nd Nov 2007 | Posts: 1845

CompositeLab Pro User EffectsLab Pro User PhotoKey 4 User FXpreset Maker FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Rating: +1

Atom wrote:

I'm the most negatively-rated user on the site. Ever. It doesn't bother me, I've still got 230 or so positive ratings to hold claim to.
Yeah, but Awesome First beat you with the 94 neagtive ratings in his first 2 weeks here. smile

I have noticed that many users, myself included, rack up a lot of negative ratings in the first few months here. When we didn't know the site or the members well. We also weren't as familiar with the rating system on FX Home. Hey, we were all new here once. Not that this in any way excuses the bad posts I, or others made. Ignorance on my part is not an excuse. I am ashamed at some of the posts I made and wonder what I was thinking. The important thing is for us to learn from our own mistakes, as well as others. The worst thing you can do is to repeat the same mistake again when it could be avoided. That's not to say that you'll never get another -1 again. Hey, mistakes happen. We're only human. But hopefully we'll think twice before posting a controversial post that could be taken the wrong way. smile
Posted: Wed, 18th Feb 2009, 4:16am

Post 66 of 92

Moonloon1

Force: 2344 | Joined: 15th Oct 2007 | Posts: 334

VisionLab User VideoWrap User MacOS User

Gold Member

Sollthar wrote:

I believe that to be highly anti-social. If that viewpoint insults someone, then I'm sorry, but so be it. And that's all I said and still say.
Moonloon1 has now further enhanced that statement and it sounds different to me now. I totally see where he's coming from and don't disagree with him at all. In fact, he now wrote a lot of things that I totally agree with and totally respect. So I don't believe he's ignorant and bitter and apologize for suggesting he was.
But Solthar, I am not ignorant or bitter, I may think that about someone on occasion, but I would not tell them.
Never been one to sit on his mouth.
So I hope you get where I was coming from and accept the apology since I did in fact seem to have insulted you wrongfully.
Very gracious Sollthar, thank you, apology accepted. And being someone that is not afraid to speak his mind I too rarely "sit on my mouth". But I generally try to use wisdom and grace. I am very good at reading people that can take it and those whose hands need holding. Problem here is I need to be face to face to read someone so sometimes in this format I come across harsh. But you are right about one thing I am anti-social and anti-establishment and quite a bit rebellious. I have been all my life. Thats not to say I don't do good in social situations, I must do good in them or I would be out of business. I can almost always read a client that wants me to be honest and those that need me to let them do it their own way, even when I know it's wrong. The people I let flounder sometimes back and the people that want my advice always come back. If I sound arrogant, and I'm not, it's because I am confident in my ability to do anything I set out to do.
Posted: Wed, 18th Feb 2009, 6:24am

Post 67 of 92

Atom

Force: 4300 | Joined: 9th May 2004 | Posts: 7014

EffectsLab Lite User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

The thing is: overconfidence is arrogance. wink

Think of it being phrased this way and see what you think, Moonloon.

'If I sound cocky it's only because I'm totally awesome at everything I do.'

biggrin
Posted: Wed, 18th Feb 2009, 6:33am

Post 68 of 92

Moonloon1

Force: 2344 | Joined: 15th Oct 2007 | Posts: 334

VisionLab User VideoWrap User MacOS User

Gold Member

And I did not say overconfidence, did I? I phrased the above incorrectly: I have almost always done the things I have set out to do. And yes, I have failed many times, ask anyone successful if they have ever failed and every one will say yes. There is always room for improvement in everything we set out to do. Why do you think I'm here? Funny Atom, but most of your posts come off as arrogance, but I suspect it is more confidence in your self, your abilities...?
Posted: Wed, 18th Feb 2009, 8:13am

Post 69 of 92

Atom

Force: 4300 | Joined: 9th May 2004 | Posts: 7014

EffectsLab Lite User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Moonloon1 wrote:

Funny Atom, but most of your posts come off as arrogance, but I suspect it is more confidence in your self, your abilities...?
No, it is arrogance.

And, no, you didn't say overconfidence but that's what your post alluded to. It seems you picked up on that, as you rephrased your sentence/post. Oh, and a strawman argument isn't necessarily conducive to making yourself look better. In fact, it almost always makes you look worse.

And once more, if you can't see I'm obviously being light and cavalier because I'm simply joking about this all; as it is a silly argument to begin with- I don't know what to say to you.
Posted: Wed, 18th Feb 2009, 8:22am

Post 70 of 92

Moonloon1

Force: 2344 | Joined: 15th Oct 2007 | Posts: 334

VisionLab User VideoWrap User MacOS User

Gold Member

That straw man argument sure gets thrown around here. Ok as my wife likes to say to me I will say to you LMA.
Posted: Wed, 18th Feb 2009, 8:31am

Post 71 of 92

Atom

Force: 4300 | Joined: 9th May 2004 | Posts: 7014

EffectsLab Lite User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Just because it gets thrown around doesn't make it acceptable/passable, though.

And Moonloon, I don't dislike you and I'm not trying to argue with you for the sake of it. I was merely trying to take Sollthar's side in the conflict over the 'that's their problem, not mine' statement (and if you know me, you'll know my taking his side is a rarity)- as I think it was a big miscommunication between you, spydurhank, and Sollthar.

I thought supplying a lighter side/post/joke to it all would aid the thread and its silly progress; but it seems the whole thing just backfired. However, I'm not one to straight-up burn bridges so I'll make it once more explicitly clear- I have no intention of purposefully 'messing with people' or 'talking down to people' for the sake of it. Not here, not in any thread.

It is known my patience can be pushed with new users that come into the forums demanding things with a sense of entitlement or brash attitudes; I'm one to really teach a lesson/grind a point sometimes too forcifully- but aside from that I'd like to think I'm a pretty helpful person. Truth be told, I was cocky enough to be surprised when I wasn't a nominee on the 'Most Helpful Filmmaker' list.

What I'm getting at here, I guess, is that I don't want to give you the wrong impression. I'm not against you, I'm not on your side- I'm just here to offer my thoughts and experience and leave things be. I have trouble doing this sometimes, but I try my damnedest. smile
Posted: Wed, 18th Feb 2009, 8:36am

Post 72 of 92

ben3308

Force: 5210 | Joined: 24th May 2004 | Posts: 6433

VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Moonloon1 wrote:

LMA.
Kind of late to the party here, but I don't think you can do that.

You can either concede defeat or further delineate your own points, but to abandon your thoughts - and the thoughts of others - almost completely follows that you're willing to abandon the rationale of the argument as a whole.

And, as Plato would have you convinced, if one is bold enough to completely abandon the argument at hand, they're irrational and not worth arguing with in the first place. biggrin

Now, I'm not saying I don't agree with many of your sentiments. But I think that, at this point, both sides should concede to neutral ground and agree that this argument is foolish and petty. "Leave me alone" doesn't quite satisfy the terms of a cease-fire, rather, I think it may exacerbate it.

So, I propose we all take a page out of Plato's book and either not argue with an irrational person or realize their rationale and accept it part way. I literally cannot believe both parties in this argument have gone as far as they have.
Posted: Wed, 18th Feb 2009, 9:00am

Post 73 of 92

Sollthar

Force: 13360 | Joined: 30th Oct 2001 | Posts: 6094

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 2 Pro User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User MacOS User

SuperUser

moonloon1 wrote:

I generally try to use wisdom and grace.
I try to do that too, but don't always succeed, as made obvious. neutral

Generally, I try my best to respect other people and give them the necessary space they deserve. That is not to say I don't push someones buttons from time to time (I sure do) or accept anything I see or hear or anything people do. But I think social life is a constant "battle" between giving yourself the necessary importance, but without imposing yourself onto others. Between doing the things you think are right, but without ignoring the impact that has on other peoples lifes.
Any form of social interaction between people immediately has that struggle of reducing your or someone elses freedom in one way or the other. The complete freedom of action is something you can only life when you're alone.
They key goal, I believe, is to try to maintain some form of balance. Some days that works, some days that doesn't.

To get the topic back to the rating system, that's why I believe it's something that shouldn't be ignored. It is one way of many to see how your actions feedback on others - a rather unusually direct one. But in the end, it's entirely up to you what to do with that information. And what you do with that information will also reflect on you.

And especially in a written forum, where many sorts of meta-language aspects that usually help judge what someone means by what he says, like facial expression, tone, gesture etc fall away and only language remains, that is pretty important. That's a point a completely agree with atom's stance on "take the time to phrase your thoughts properly" - despite the fact we indeed do agree on few things. smile


Thanks for the good discussion despite the odd start moonloon1. If I could, I'd pay you a beer. But since I can't, my virtual handshake will have to do. smile
Posted: Wed, 18th Feb 2009, 4:14pm

Post 74 of 92

Moonloon1

Force: 2344 | Joined: 15th Oct 2007 | Posts: 334

VisionLab User VideoWrap User MacOS User

Gold Member

Thank you Sollthar, again. When you can't see a persons body language it's very hard to read his intent. And maybe the written word, approximately ten thousand years old, is why we have so many conflicts. Face to face is always better for the deeper understanding of someone's words, most people don't realize just how much each of us subconsciously reads each other. And Atom no big deal, after all you are from Texas, so I understand... and I am smiling, not being serious here...
Posted: Wed, 18th Feb 2009, 5:21pm

Post 75 of 92

Mellifluous

Force: 5604 | Joined: 6th Oct 2002 | Posts: 3782

EffectsLab Pro User Windows User

Gold Member

It's funny how large this topic has got - I didn't realise people took ratings so close to heart. I have negative ratings, and for a moment I tried to comprehend why I'd got them but to be honest I have no idea and don't care. Everyone's different. I'm sat on my computer typing this and someone else is reading it with a totally different mindset and values.

Ratings are give and take. You get some, you lose some. In real life, you're going to meet plenty of people who don't like you and what you say, and vice versa - deal with it.

A constructive comment though - I've noticed that when someone makes a stupid comment, there's a deluge of negative ratings resulting in -1000 or something ridiculous. We get it. People disagree with the comment but some might just follow the pack for the hell of it. Perhaps there could be a negative limit, e.g. when someone's rated -5 people can't rate it down anymore. I think this would help preserve decorum and also encourage people to POST why they disagree with someone's comments rather than being trigger-happy.
Posted: Wed, 18th Feb 2009, 6:14pm

Post 76 of 92

Atom

Force: 4300 | Joined: 9th May 2004 | Posts: 7014

EffectsLab Lite User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Mellifluous wrote:

A constructive comment though - I've noticed that when someone makes a stupid comment, there's a deluge of negative ratings resulting in -1000 or something ridiculous. We get it. People disagree with the comment but some might just follow the pack for the hell of it. Perhaps there could be a negative limit, e.g. when someone's rated -5 people can't rate it down anymore. I think this would help preserve decorum and also encourage people to POST why they disagree with someone's comments rather than being trigger-happy.
I'd agree with that notion. Now, granted, on things like awesome fist or Vladknob's initial mega-bashing posts are a little different, but otherwise yeah.
Posted: Wed, 18th Feb 2009, 8:02pm

Post 77 of 92

JohnCarter

Force: 3295 | Joined: 11th Mar 2003 | Posts: 1078

VisionLab User Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

Tarn wrote:

We've wanted to organise some kind of FXhome meet-up for a while now, probably London-based. There have been meet-ups in the past, of course, such as the Zurich Nightcast expedition, the 2008 FXhome Film shoot and Sci-fi London back in 2007.

Definitely be good to organise another one.
Well, we will be in London for Sci-Fi 2009 from April 29 until May 3rd. Keep me posted if you decide to do one.
Posted: Thu, 19th Feb 2009, 12:01am

Post 78 of 92

Paradox Pictures

Force: 889 | Joined: 18th Mar 2008 | Posts: 387

CompositeLab Pro User EffectsLab Pro User VideoWrap User FXpreset Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Wow! 6 pages!
Posted: Thu, 19th Feb 2009, 12:36am

Post 79 of 92

Mellifluous

Force: 5604 | Joined: 6th Oct 2002 | Posts: 3782

EffectsLab Pro User Windows User

Gold Member

Movie Kid 4 wrote:

Wow! 6 pages!
6 pages.
27 positive ratings.
8 negative ratings.

That's a pretty good ratio.
Posted: Thu, 19th Feb 2009, 12:46am

Post 80 of 92

ben3308

Force: 5210 | Joined: 24th May 2004 | Posts: 6433

VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Not really, when put into consideration that like 20 negatives had to be modded/deleted for unfair use. biggrin
Posted: Thu, 19th Feb 2009, 1:13am

Post 81 of 92

pdrg

Force: 5405 | Joined: 4th Dec 2006 | Posts: 4143

VisionLab User Windows User

Gold Member

Re meetups - how about renting a cinema screen for a couple of hours to play some specially selected films from the cinema and other places? Then go for lunch smile Cinema screens are relatively cheap to hire in the mornings, and some people may get excited to see their masterpiece 9 foot high with popcorn.

Moonloon, there aren't many here with your depth of (especially audio) experience, let alone business and life experience. I defer to you. Seriously though, I know running a company is a tough choice of life - it's from entrepreneurs like yourself and some noteable others here that refuse to sit back lazily that we should all take note. Some of the kids on here in the past whined about their parents not buying them an expensive enough camera :-$ The more of us there are with some life experience, especially commercially relevant experience, the more we can hopefully inspire a sense of quality or development and progression in the next generation of film types.

Edit:coherence - if you think this post was incoherent, you should have seen it before :-$

Last edited Thu, 19th Feb 2009, 10:25am; edited 1 times in total.

Posted: Thu, 19th Feb 2009, 9:11am

Post 82 of 92

spydurhank

Force: 1956 | Joined: 24th Jun 2008 | Posts: 1357

VisionLab User VideoWrap User FXpreset Maker Windows User FXhome Movie Maker

Gold Member

Pretzels are good!
MoonLoon1 I know you didn't need it, But I felt like sticking up for you because I felt like it. Maybe It's just me but someone said something to you that I didn't think should have been said to you.
You could have made a big deal about it but you didn't, like I said before thats why I like your style.
I'ts just that I thought Sollthar said "whatever" to you, that I didn't feel you deserved, but we all do or say things that we don't mean now or later because we didn't know any better... Lord knows I do that all the time.
My only gripe is that we, as in "all of us in general" shouldn't assume that we know or understand what someone has written or said, because we actually don't know and if we thought that we did know, we would be arrogant, which we shouldn't be!
I wasn't attempting to insult anyone that I thought insulted you. "sorry Sollthar" but that's how I took it. I apologize in generaL for getting upset, But like I said before I pretty much look up to you guys since to me you're my film-making idols.
So since I've read every thread on FXhome and watched a bunch of the movies that have been posted on this site, I've learned a crap load.
You guys are my heroes, that means all you guys! Young or Old.
Hey guys, Moonloon1, Sollthar, Tarn, Atom,
I apologize for being a "bull donkey"

P.S.
I want to be just like Atom and Sollthar when I grow up... only nicer... to Moonloon1 biggrin
J.K
Posted: Thu, 19th Feb 2009, 1:47pm

Post 83 of 92

Hybrid-Halo

Force: 9315 | Joined: 7th Feb 2003 | Posts: 3367

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 3 Pro User MuzzlePlug User PowerPlug User FXpreset Maker Windows User MacOS User

SuperUser

Hey guys,

I'm a bit guilty of skipping to the end here - though I thought it worth mentioning that being rated (positively or negatively) isn't anything which is final. If you feel the system has been misused or that you didn't deserve too be negatively rated you can always contact a moderator and have them look at the rating.

The system isn't always used as it was intended, though I think for the most part it does a good job and there are people you can appeal to. I'm pleased to see both Ben and Atom post in this thread - as they know more about negative ratings than most of fxhome combined. smile

Good posts all,
-Matt
Posted: Thu, 19th Feb 2009, 2:57pm

Post 84 of 92

Atom

Force: 4300 | Joined: 9th May 2004 | Posts: 7014

EffectsLab Lite User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Oooooh, you try and get there, don't you HH?

Lest we not forget, I've still got 230 positive ratings to back me up. biggrin And, if I'm not mistaken, Ben's got more +1s than all but 10 or so other FXHomers.

But, yes, I have much experience dealing with the rating system. My domination of this thread was.......well.........inevitable.
Posted: Thu, 19th Feb 2009, 3:22pm

Post 85 of 92

Sollthar

Force: 13360 | Joined: 30th Oct 2001 | Posts: 6094

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 2 Pro User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User MacOS User

SuperUser

All good. *group hug*

Now, I just seriously have to edit the thread title. Reading "Negative Rattings" every time I look at it gives me weird pictures of scary rats.


Edit: Gah, sorry man. I accidentally deleted the answer "yes" to your poll. redface
Posted: Thu, 19th Feb 2009, 11:23pm

Post 86 of 92

Biblmac

Force: 852 | Joined: 12th Jun 2007 | Posts: 1513

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User

Gold Member

LOL!

Bye the way is someone going to make a thread for an Fxhome member group up? Or do we leave it as it is?
Posted: Fri, 20th Feb 2009, 1:03am

Post 87 of 92

Aculag

Force: 8365 | Joined: 21st Jun 2002 | Posts: 8581

EffectsLab Lite User VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

Atom wrote:

Lest we not forget, I've still got 230 positive ratings to back me up. biggrin And, if I'm not mistaken, Ben's got more +1s than all but 10 or so other FXHomers.
I think it's still pretty funny that your negative ratings totally cancel out the positive ones, and then some. +233/-305. biggrin

And Ben's at #23 on the list with +398/-196. It's also very funny to me that I'm #4 on the list, yet, out of everyone in the top 10, I'm the only one with more than 30 negative ratings (+614/-130).

Ps. Sollthar is currently listed as having +666 ratings. twisted (I'm getting all this from here, in case anyone was wondering.)
Posted: Fri, 20th Feb 2009, 1:31am

Post 88 of 92

pdrg

Force: 5405 | Joined: 4th Dec 2006 | Posts: 4143

VisionLab User Windows User

Gold Member

Heh my stats look better if you average the +figure out over the number of years of service wink

Seriously though, there are some huge +figures there from guys I've never heard of, so they must have vanished before I arrived, but been mentally helpful during that time! That must have been all in the days of force and whatnot wink
Posted: Fri, 20th Feb 2009, 9:19am

Post 89 of 92

Sollthar

Force: 13360 | Joined: 30th Oct 2001 | Posts: 6094

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 2 Pro User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User MacOS User

SuperUser

Rating: +1

Sollthar is currently listed as having +666 ratings.
Mèrde... My secret identity has been discovered... evil
Posted: Fri, 20th Feb 2009, 11:05am

Post 90 of 92

ben3308

Force: 5210 | Joined: 24th May 2004 | Posts: 6433

VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Sollthar wrote:

Sollthar is currently listed as having +666 ratings.
Mèrde... My secret identity has been discovered... evil


biggrin
Posted: Fri, 20th Feb 2009, 1:29pm

Post 91 of 92

Aculag

Force: 8365 | Joined: 21st Jun 2002 | Posts: 8581

EffectsLab Lite User VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

Sollthar wrote:

Mèrde... My secret identity has been discovered... evil
Don't worry, someone has conveniently rated you up again, so you're in the clear.

I'm so tempted to rate you down just to even it back out, but I don't think I will. wink
Posted: Fri, 20th Feb 2009, 4:14pm

Post 92 of 92

Sollthar

Force: 13360 | Joined: 30th Oct 2001 | Posts: 6094

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 2 Pro User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User MacOS User

SuperUser

Hehe. Don't worry. Atom did for disagreeing with me. smile