You are viewing an archive of the old fxhome.com forums. The community has since moved to hitfilm.com.

Plugins

Best after effects plugins

FXhome After Effects plugins0%[ 0 ]
nccinema plugins33%[ 1 ]
det films plugins67%[ 2 ]

Total Votes : 3

Posted: Wed, 25th Mar 2009, 12:10am

Post 1 of 7

Terminal Velocity

Force: 2507 | Joined: 7th Apr 2008 | Posts: 1350

VisionLab User FXpreset Maker Windows User

Gold Member

This is a poll for the best after effects plugins. I want to buy one but don't know which is best.

Also please answer:

Is the one you chose able to import directly onto FXhome products without any conversion hassle, or does it need to go through a video editing program? If so, is there a specific program?
Posted: Wed, 25th Mar 2009, 12:21am

Post 2 of 7

Axeman

Force: 17995 | Joined: 20th Jan 2002 | Posts: 6124

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 5 Pro User MuzzlePlug User PowerPlug User PhotoKey 3 Plug-in User FXhome Movie Maker FXpreset Maker MacOS User

SuperUser

I'm fairly certain that neither NoControl Cinema nor Detonation Films sell After Effects plug-ins, so that ought to make your decision easy.

Both NoControl Cinema and Detonation Films do sell stock footage, which is hugely different from plug-ins. Plugins literally create effects, enabling you to get different results every time, where as stock is just footage of an effect which has been filmed. There are pros and cons to both; stock footage of practical effects can look better than its computer generated counterparts, if it is composited well, but for variety in using stock effects, you need to have a whole bunch, or you end up using the same clip over and over. Also, when creating the effects via plug-in, you have more control, and it is easier to make sure the effect exactly matches the scene it is intended to blend with, as far as positioning and so forth; with stock, again, it is vital to have a wide assortment to make sure something will work with the specifics of the shot you are compositing.

As far as compatibility, an AE plug-in will require After Effects, of course, which can definitely export to formats compatible with CompositeLab. The stock footage from both NCC and Detonation Films can be imported directly.
Posted: Wed, 25th Mar 2009, 12:43am

Post 3 of 7

Terminal Velocity

Force: 2507 | Joined: 7th Apr 2008 | Posts: 1350

VisionLab User FXpreset Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Axeman wrote:

I'm fairly certain that neither NoControl Cinema nor Detonation Films sell After Effects plug-ins, so that ought to make your decision easy.

Both NoControl Cinema and Detonation Films do sell stock footage, which is hugely different from plug-ins. Plugins literally create effects, enabling you to get different results every time, where as stock is just footage of an effect which has been filmed. There are pros and cons to both; stock footage of practical effects can look better than its computer generated counterparts, if it is composited well, but for variety in using stock effects, you need to have a whole bunch, or you end up using the same clip over and over. Also, when creating the effects via plug-in, you have more control, and it is easier to make sure the effect exactly matches the scene it is intended to blend with, as far as positioning and so forth; with stock, again, it is vital to have a wide assortment to make sure something will work with the specifics of the shot you are compositing.

As far as compatibility, an AE plug-in will require After Effects, of course, which can definitely export to formats compatible with CompositeLab. The stock footage from both NCC and Detonation Films can be imported directly.
Omigosh I'm such an idiot. I never realized the difference. Okay. That changes things.

Next question; are gore effects available in After Effects? I'm such a noob, but I wanna understand this stuff before I buy something and find out I've misinterpreted.

Thnx btw, Axeman.
Posted: Wed, 25th Mar 2009, 1:08am

Post 4 of 7

Axeman

Force: 17995 | Joined: 20th Jan 2002 | Posts: 6124

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 5 Pro User MuzzlePlug User PowerPlug User PhotoKey 3 Plug-in User FXhome Movie Maker FXpreset Maker MacOS User

SuperUser

I don't know of a specific plug-in for creating gore in After Effects, but chances are that there is one out there somewhere that could do it.

There are very few cases where digital is going to be the best way to go for gore though; practical effects on-set will almost always be the best, followed by stock footage. For the instances where digital is the best solution, it will probably be because an intense degree of control is required, and generally a 3D app with liquid dynamics and a skilled user would be called for.
Posted: Thu, 26th Mar 2009, 3:22am

Post 5 of 7

Terminal Velocity

Force: 2507 | Joined: 7th Apr 2008 | Posts: 1350

VisionLab User FXpreset Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Axeman wrote:

I don't know of a specific plug-in for creating gore in After Effects, but chances are that there is one out there somewhere that could do it.

There are very few cases where digital is going to be the best way to go for gore though; practical effects on-set will almost always be the best, followed by stock footage. For the instances where digital is the best solution, it will probably be because an intense degree of control is required, and generally a 3D app with liquid dynamics and a skilled user would be called for.
Oh, please don't even go into 3d. I stink with it.

Stock footage...sounds promising for gore. I like gore. Adds realism to movies.
Posted: Thu, 26th Mar 2009, 3:38am

Post 6 of 7

Axeman

Force: 17995 | Joined: 20th Jan 2002 | Posts: 6124

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 5 Pro User MuzzlePlug User PowerPlug User PhotoKey 3 Plug-in User FXhome Movie Maker FXpreset Maker MacOS User

SuperUser

I dislike gore. It adds nastiness to movies, and 9 times out of 10 isn't required. (This is an opinion. Don't panic) Implied or suggested violence is far more powerful than people give it credit for. Some people enjoy seeing other people cut up. Or shot up, or ground up, or blown up, etc. But not me.
Posted: Fri, 27th Mar 2009, 12:28am

Post 7 of 7

Terminal Velocity

Force: 2507 | Joined: 7th Apr 2008 | Posts: 1350

VisionLab User FXpreset Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Axeman wrote:

I dislike gore. It adds nastiness to movies, and 9 times out of 10 isn't required. (This is an opinion. Don't panic) Implied or suggested violence is far more powerful than people give it credit for. Some people enjoy seeing other people cut up. Or shot up, or ground up, or blown up, etc. But not me.
I don't want excessive gore. But quick shots, like in the Beach Landing movie, are what I like. Unlike the LEGO clan movie. That was gross and unnecessary.