You are viewing an archive of the old fxhome.com forums. The community has since moved to hitfilm.com.

Best and Worst Movie Moments

Posted: Sun, 31st May 2009, 5:29pm

Post 1 of 47

Terminal Velocity

Force: 2507 | Joined: 7th Apr 2008 | Posts: 1350

VisionLab User FXpreset Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Best
For Frodo -ROTK
Ride of the Rohirrim -ROTK
My name is Neo -The Matrix
Look for my coming at first light on the fifth day -TTT
Dodge This -The Matrix
The Dragon Scroll is mine... -Kung Fu Panda (I'm kidding, of course.)

Worst
Waise Heill! -Eragon
Brom's Last Flight -Eragon
Posted: Sun, 31st May 2009, 5:34pm

Post 2 of 47

Bolbi

Force: 408 | Joined: 22nd Apr 2006 | Posts: 429

EffectsLab Pro User MacOS User

Gold Member

Richard III wrote:

Worst
Waise Heill! -Eragon
Brom's Last Flight -Eragon
I take it you didn't like Eragon.
Posted: Sun, 31st May 2009, 6:26pm

Post 3 of 47

jawajohnny

Force: 1965 | Joined: 14th Dec 2007 | Posts: 829

VisionLab User VideoWrap User MuzzlePlug User Windows User

Gold Member

Bolbi wrote:

Richard III wrote:

Worst
Waise Heill! -Eragon
Brom's Last Flight -Eragon
I take it you didn't like Eragon.
I have never felt more hatred towards anything (except maybe FOX) in my entire life. Terrible, terrible abomination, directed by an incompetent, stupid idiot. How such a great book can be reduced to such atrocity is just beyond me. I take great pleasure in watching the film, just to laugh at and/or make fun of it. If anyone ever gets to watch the director's commentary on it, it's so worth it. He sounds like he didn't even read the book, and has no idea what's going on. On why the elves didn't have pointed ears: "I umm... wanted to do it differently"... or something like that.

My greatest movie moments:

"I am your father." - Empire Strikes Back
Boromir's last stand - Fellowship of the Ring
Truck chase - Raiders of the Lost Ark
Death Star explodes - Star Wars
The final confrontation in Wall-E
Final confrontation in Serenity
"I could have saved more" - Schindler's List
Final scenes of The X-Files - Fight the Future
Anakin vs. Obi-Wan - Star Wars Episode III
Opening scene of Star Trek 2009.
Spock's Death - Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
Posted: Sun, 31st May 2009, 7:11pm

Post 4 of 47

Terminal Velocity

Force: 2507 | Joined: 7th Apr 2008 | Posts: 1350

VisionLab User FXpreset Maker Windows User

Gold Member

The book...was okay. It was far from outstanding, and terribly derivative, but that factor aside wasn't so bad. It was a very interesting read and I enjoyed the complexity of the ancient language. However, even the book has its laughable moments. Brom said in Magic is the Simplest Thing,"It's not something you should be taught, much less use!" And then Eragon (and Brom) uses it constantly throughout the rest of the story, doing highly dangerous things. (Escaping from Helgrind, for example.) Also, it is very clear that there are very few magicians/mindbreakers left, and yet Nasuada, Elva, Nar Garzhvog, Nasuada's Nighthawk guard (Garven?), Tenga, Roran, Angela, Carn, the Urgal spellcaster, and others can all use magic. Finally, I think the main problem is that it was afraid to sacrifice the instant gratification of big magic stuff and dragons for a more subtle, solid, and powerful plot.

The movie was horrible. Not only as a film itself was it a total plummeting crashing-in-flames attempt at a fantasy story, but as an adaption of the book...well, it might have been another story. Descriptions of Brom, Arya, the Urgals, and the Ra'zac were totally ignored. Orik, the Twins, Jeod, Hrothgar, Solembum, Elva, and Katrina were left out of the story entirely. Nasuada, Angela and Ajihad took a back seat. And pivotal parts of the story such as Brom's death, the meeting with Murtagh, rescuing Arya, and the battle with Durza were twisted to be a little more fanciful and magicky as if to drag this pathetic excuse for a movie out of the dust. In which it failed. Miserably.

Best
Exorcism of Theoden -TTT
The Blasting Fire -TTT
Morpheus kills the Twins -Matrix Reloaded
Tank Battle -The Last Crusade

Worst
If You're not with me, then you're my enemy -SW Episode III
Anakin & Padme Love Scene (pick one) -SW Episodes II & III
Anakin destroys the Droid Control Ship -Episode I
Posted: Sun, 31st May 2009, 7:31pm

Post 5 of 47

ben3308

Force: 5210 | Joined: 24th May 2004 | Posts: 6433

VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Rating: -2

Jesus Christ, guys, seriously?

I understand the want to start new threads, but if it's just gonna be the same nerdgasm over relatively vacuous franchises (PoTC, LOTR, SW, Indy, Eragon, et al) then nobody else is going to watch to take part.

I'm not saying you've got to cite the father's humiliation in 'The Bicycle Thief' of the blind man's whistling in 'M' - but do something other than send up a red flag that you're not really acquainted with worthwhile literature/films. I mean, for someone who doesn't like Eragon, you know every quote, every character's name, etc.....
Posted: Sun, 31st May 2009, 7:37pm

Post 6 of 47

JasonX1024

Force: 1390 | Joined: 13th Jan 2008 | Posts: 492

VisionLab User Windows User FXhome Movie Maker

Gold Member

bestest:
DDay beach scene-SPR
Every Battle in We Were Soldiers
Suicide scene-FMJ
Every scene in BHD
in case you didnt notice I like war movies smile
Fire scene in Cast Away heh FIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIRE
Piggys death scene-Lord of the Flies- more of a sad depressing scene but i like the boys reactions
Ending to the movie Tommy-look that shiit up son
Finding Jack in We Were Soldiers.
Movie theatre scene in Donnie Darko
Clown scene in Goodfellas
ehhhh thats about it plus im bored now
Posted: Sun, 31st May 2009, 8:13pm

Post 7 of 47

Terminal Velocity

Force: 2507 | Joined: 7th Apr 2008 | Posts: 1350

VisionLab User FXpreset Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Rating: +2/-1

Why are we not acquainted with "worthwhile literature/films"? Isn't that a matter of opinion? Why do we have to limit our discussion to what you and other more "mature" members consider worthwhile? Crap, I can take a bit of criticism but this was completely unnecessary. If you don't like the discussion, don't join it, but don't sit there jeering at us because we haven't seen the same films as you, or don't want to discuss the same films that you do.

Good
The firing squad -Valkyrie
Motorcycle chase -The Great Escape
Fake paratroopers -The Longest Day
Paint bullet -Kelly's Heroes
Omaha Beach -Saving Private Ryan
Posted: Sun, 31st May 2009, 8:45pm

Post 8 of 47

ben3308

Force: 5210 | Joined: 24th May 2004 | Posts: 6433

VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Rating: +1

Yes, worthwhile is a matter of opinion. Of course. But you know what? It gets old seeing Star Wars, Indiana Jones, The Matrix, Pirates of the Carribean, etc referenced nonstop in threads at FXhome.

Most members here (or many) have 'grown up' beyond these commercial franchises, and so has FXhome. This is no longer just a community based on emulating these franchises, it's based on good filmmaking and good effects work. Yes, the franchises are good examples. But they've been discussed in spades here over the past 8 years and it gets old. Really old.

This isn't a me vs. you thing. It's not about the films I've seen. It's about transcending these franchises that everyone has already talked about. I'm not a film snob, I like (and make) vacuous films. But discuss something that doesn't have to do with pirates, dragons, elfs, or superheroes for once.

Yes, I know you haven't been here long enough to see this. But for many people - I could just be speaking for myself, I dunno - it's not worthwhile to go through these threads if they're just going to be fawning over stupid Eragon quotes. Give me a break.
Posted: Sun, 31st May 2009, 9:02pm

Post 9 of 47

SilverDragon7

Force: 2265 | Joined: 29th Jun 2006 | Posts: 1990

VisionLab User VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

I'm glad Ben cam along, 'cause I was thinking the same thing.

The slaughtering of a pig - Weekend
The leaving of a horse - Aguirre, der Zorn Gottes

Here's two of my favorite parts from to very different films and directors made over 20 years ago. Ben's point is that you've cited (in both this and the other best/worst thread-which are identical) big blockbuster movies from the past 10 years. Variety helps keep attention, that's all.
Posted: Sun, 31st May 2009, 9:08pm

Post 10 of 47

Terminal Velocity

Force: 2507 | Joined: 7th Apr 2008 | Posts: 1350

VisionLab User FXpreset Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Richard III wrote:


Motorcycle chase -The Great Escape
Fake paratroopers -The Longest Day
Paint bullet -Kelly's Heroes
Excuse me if I'm wrong, but none of these are from the past ten years. Oh, by the way. I'm not wrong.

I see your point, I guess. However, I think you could have made your point by simply saying "We need variety" instead of saying that we're not acquainted with what's worthwhile. And in closing, I'm not citing the Matrix and LOTR because they've been discussed already. It's because I like them. There's a reason they're blockbusters. rolleyes

Best
Trash talk -The Express
Posted: Sun, 31st May 2009, 9:17pm

Post 11 of 47

jawajohnny

Force: 1965 | Joined: 14th Dec 2007 | Posts: 829

VisionLab User VideoWrap User MuzzlePlug User Windows User

Gold Member

Rating: +3

I think you're both right, to a certain extent. I understand exactly what you're talking about, Ben. +1 for you. I used to be exactly like that... in fact, I limited myself to those kinds of movies. In the past year or so, as I've advanced as filmmaker, I've opened up to all kinds of films (except horror... I hate all horror). Instead of watching the Star Wars, and Indy films nonstop, I've been renting more frequently, and my DVD/Blu-ray collection has grown exponentially. It's not that these franchises aren't great and worthwhile... it's just that there are more films out there that need to be discussed. I used to look like as a Lucas fanboy (do I still?), and Richard III looks like a LOTR fanboy.

There's nothing wrong with being a fan of something, but when a lot of your posts have to do with LOTR, it severely limits your ability to have intelligent discussions with other filmmakers who have a wider range of tastes. Now don't take this the wrong way Richard III, because you're obviously way smarter than most of the new kids. smile It's just friendly advice. So yes, those films are great (although I've never seen Matrix), but we do need variety. smile I'll have to remember that myself too, because most of my favorite movies are from big franchises. In more recent threads, I've tried to sum things up like, "you know, anything from SW, Indy, etc.", and then I list more unique examples.
Posted: Sun, 31st May 2009, 9:24pm

Post 12 of 47

ben3308

Force: 5210 | Joined: 24th May 2004 | Posts: 6433

VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Richard III wrote:

Excuse me if I'm wrong, but none of these are from the past ten years. Oh, by the way. I'm not wrong.
I am not against you. Don't post that to 'one-up' me, you know you posted those after-the-fact so as not to fall exactly into what I said.

However, I think you could have made your point by simply saying "We need variety" instead of saying that we're not acquainted with what's worthwhile. And in closing, I'm not citing the Matrix and LOTR because they've been discussed already.
Yes, but because they've been discussed already, even if you like them, that makes them (most of the time) not worthwhile discussing. Essentially, it goes without saying.

I suppose what I'm getting at here is that from the get-go this thread just looks like a big nerd haven, and that certainly doesn't do FXhome any favors. When everyone looks like a close-minded fanboy franchise-lover - even if they're not - it's not good for these forums. Just my opinion.

EDIT: jawajohnny is the PERFECT example of someone who, initially, pissed people off at how much he pandered to George Lucas franchises (we all know it! biggrin). However, he's now (mostly) transcended a lot of them hangups, and is a better poster for it. Again, just my opinion!

Also, Richard III, I gave you a -1 on post 7 in this thread for pretty much completely missing my point. Just for the sake of transparency. wink Also, being a smartass doesn't do you, yourself, many favors, unless of course your name is Jordan Rosseau. But it isn't. So don't.
Posted: Sun, 31st May 2009, 10:44pm

Post 13 of 47

Atom

Force: 4300 | Joined: 9th May 2004 | Posts: 7014

EffectsLab Lite User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

This is why I shouldn't have ignored my conscience and should have hammered out these things with Richard III, the way I've done with numerous others who've hated me for it over the years, the way I did with jawajohnny even. They've all been better for it, and more importantly, so have the forums.

But I didn't this time, and look what happens. You've got a homeschooled young teen with nothing to do all day and no one to interact with; and instead likely copiously rewatches these franchise movies and posts out of boredom here. There's just not enough self-restraint, I think, and too much unoccupied time. Don't tell me I'm wrong, I'm not. And I've sacrificed my image and reputation for a chance to change this in many over the years.

I'm going to make a Best/Worst Threads thread. You can guess where these ones will go.
Posted: Sun, 31st May 2009, 10:52pm

Post 14 of 47

Viking

Force: 130 | Joined: 21st Nov 2004 | Posts: 64

Windows User

Member

Rating: +5/-1

Do the twin Brothers have really nothing better to do with their time, then to follow the topics started by young kids and put them down?

Really guys, who cares what kids want to talk about on an internet forum, I'm sure if it really bothers the FXhome team, they will delete the thread. For Christ sake Atom and Ben, take a break, and go outside and play.
Posted: Sun, 31st May 2009, 11:15pm

Post 15 of 47

ben3308

Force: 5210 | Joined: 24th May 2004 | Posts: 6433

VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Not particularly following this topic so much as responding to it, given it's the most recently-created. People can fawn over the movies they like all they want, I just don't think it does this community any favors, and feel it necessary to say so.

If you disagree with my approach, by all means do so - but I don't think I'm being unkind with what I've said.
Posted: Sun, 31st May 2009, 11:20pm

Post 16 of 47

Pooky

Force: 4834 | Joined: 8th Jul 2003 | Posts: 5913

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User MacOS User FXhome Movie Maker

Gold Member

Rating: +1

Yeah, you probably will notice the somewhat hypocritical aspect of spending your time and "sacrificing your reputation" over the years to teach youngsters to have a life. You have to understand, if "having a life" means going outside and talking, then we're not doing a very good job either, are we?

So, while cleaning up the forums is technically a good goal, all I'm saying is that the "get a life!" approach doesn't do you any favors.
Posted: Sun, 31st May 2009, 11:44pm

Post 17 of 47

TheOutlawAmbulance

Force: 931 | Joined: 16th Dec 2008 | Posts: 938

EffectsLab Pro User VideoWrap User Windows User

Gold Member

Richard III wrote:

The Dragon Scroll is mine... -Kung Fu Panda (I'm kidding, of course.)

Storm(In a hushed tone) -"He's not kidding."
Posted: Mon, 1st Jun 2009, 12:45am

Post 18 of 47

Atom

Force: 4300 | Joined: 9th May 2004 | Posts: 7014

EffectsLab Lite User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

I'm not following Richard III or anyone else around to pick on them- its just this new group of a select few, within the past few weeks, have made it so they completely dominate the forums. Their comments run rampant throughout all threads and there's no ignoring them. Certainly I'm not the only one that thinks this, right?

Because I've noticed a fair few regular users from years ago drop off in the past few weeks because of this, too, and I'm tempted to leave myself. Its just too much of the same people bantering to hear eachother talk for me, and I'm sorry for being honest about it. To me theyre pushing Fxhome back into the fanboyish, nerdy niche it originated in, grew out of, and has transcended completely over the years- and that worries me.

In my time here I've seen this place shift to a more serious filmmaking website contender, a more responsive and larger community of help and resource, a bigger and more ambitious company, and a place of ever-expanding complex thought and discussion. It had grown into something genuine, I don't want this to fall back into the old days; however fun they may be to reminisce on. Thats who cares. Me.

Say what you want- I know what I'm doing, I mean what I say, and I'm pretty certain I'm correct about it all.
Posted: Mon, 1st Jun 2009, 12:47am

Post 19 of 47

Terminal Velocity

Force: 2507 | Joined: 7th Apr 2008 | Posts: 1350

VisionLab User FXpreset Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Atom wrote:

You've got a homeschooled young teen with nothing to do all day and no one to interact with; and instead likely copiously rewatches these franchise movies and posts out of boredom here.
1: No. I've watched each of these about thrice on average.
2: I have plenty of people to interact with. Don't make assumptions like this because you have no idea.
3: I post because I want to benefit from the experience, learn more about conducting myself on forums, and learn about filmmaking. If you don't like me, then you can leave because I have no intention of quitting because you guys have developed a dislike for me and feel like slamming me with -1's for not posting exactly the way you feel like I should.

jawajohnny wrote:

and Richard III looks like a LOTR fanboy.
I am. There's worse things to be a fanboy of. Way worse.

jawajohnny wrote:

don't take this the wrong way Richard III, because you're obviously way smarter than most of the new kids
Thank you?

jawajohnny wrote:

but we do need variety.
Just for the record, I didn't start this discussion on Eragon. I started a thread and posted what I think are the best/worst movie moments. Go back and look. I fail to see how I am responsible for this discussion.

ben3308 wrote:

I am not against you. Don't post that to 'one-up' me, you know you posted those after-the-fact so as not to fall exactly into what I said.
I posted those to show that I am indeed acquainted with movies that are more than ten years old: quite a few of them, in fact. Does it matter when I posted it?

ben3308 wrote:

Yes, but because they've been discussed already, even if you like them, that makes them (most of the time) not worthwhile discussing. Essentially, it goes without saying.
I said which ones I liked best. As I said, I didn't start a debate/discussion on any of them.

ben3308 wrote:

Also, being a smarta** doesn't do you, yourself, many favors, unless of course your name is Jordan Rosseau.
Neither do insults that in no way contribute to the point you're trying to make.

I'm not going to give anyone any -1's, however much I might like to.

Now. I've made my point, you've made yours. However much it gets under my skin, I'm going to apologize. Now, let's move along.
Posted: Mon, 1st Jun 2009, 12:51am

Post 20 of 47

Atom

Force: 4300 | Joined: 9th May 2004 | Posts: 7014

EffectsLab Lite User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Just FYI, Ricky, I had my -1 button disabled years ago, got it back, and don't ever use it. And when I do, it's because something isn't on topic, not because I disagree with it. I haven't given you -1s when others have, actually. Thought you should know.

I appreciate the apology and apologize myself for overassuming. I think my homeschool comment is pretty logical- afterall, most kids are in school when you aren't- but I recognize it's in poor taste, so I'm sorry for that.

But don't play the 'I'm not leaving so you should if you don't like me'. It just makes you look bad, and I'm not certain- again hate to bring it up- you'd have the seniority on me to pull a move on me like that. We can coexist, I'm hardly asking for things to be exactly as I want them, trust me- I just think you've got some more reforming to do- as you've demonstrated you can accomplish to some degree.

The only reason Ben and I don't hold our tongues as much as we could on these things with you is because we've seen you have the capacity for change; for the better, of course. I tolerate a lot, honestly, so please don't think I'm trying squash out anything I dislike. Such is not the case- but obviously there are limitations.
Posted: Mon, 1st Jun 2009, 2:50am

Post 21 of 47

ben3308

Force: 5210 | Joined: 24th May 2004 | Posts: 6433

VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Mods, cleanup time.
Posted: Mon, 1st Jun 2009, 3:19am

Post 22 of 47

Terminal Velocity

Force: 2507 | Joined: 7th Apr 2008 | Posts: 1350

VisionLab User FXpreset Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Or...I hate to say...just lock it. I guess this can sorta go in the quotes thread, anyway.
Posted: Mon, 1st Jun 2009, 4:06am

Post 23 of 47

Pooky

Force: 4834 | Joined: 8th Jul 2003 | Posts: 5913

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User MacOS User FXhome Movie Maker

Gold Member

I agree that a few select users are ruining the forum for everybody, but Richard III ain't that bad anymore. Sure, he reminds me of me when I first joined, which is terrifying, but beating him up about it would be silly, in my case.

As for Awesome Fist and the others, yes, they make me want to go find another forum, but then at the same time I realise that trolls like him represent most forums, and that FXHome used to be sort of a shining beacon of intelligent users (except for a minority which I was once part of). It's a shame, really.

But what's the alternative? Banning moronic users? That'd be a touchy subject (though I wouldn't object to it in Awesome Fist's case, as he refuses to even acknowledge comments about himself).
Posted: Mon, 1st Jun 2009, 4:18am

Post 24 of 47

Terminal Velocity

Force: 2507 | Joined: 7th Apr 2008 | Posts: 1350

VisionLab User FXpreset Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Thank you. Nice to know I'm not a complete monster.

I think that most FXhome users are far more intelligent and contributive than on other forums (myself aside) than on many, many other forums. There are a couple annoying people, but as you said that's going to happen and there isn't much to do about it. Personally I really like the -1, +1 system, because it helps keep users on their toes, thinking more carefully about their posts. It's a good system, despite the fact that I draw -1's like a magnet draws iron filings.

Banning. I think bans should be either permanent or nonexistent, because banning 'em for a few days just won't ram the message through their skulls. Awesome Fist's main trouble seems to be that he doesn't see the value of good grammar, or else just doesn't care about becoming more respected.

Oh, and an off-topic question: Will I be -1'ed for reviving old movie threads? I've read a few, and I think there's a wealth of discussion to be had. But I don't know whether or not bumps are received favorably.
Posted: Mon, 1st Jun 2009, 4:55am

Post 25 of 47

ben3308

Force: 5210 | Joined: 24th May 2004 | Posts: 6433

VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

It depends upon the movie. If it's so well known that people have commented on-and-off for years, not a big deal. If there hasn't been discussion in years and it's from a known user that's left (like bros, MechaForce or anyone else therein) then it's not the best idea to try and spark new discussion.

Bumping movie threads to give your say or congratulate someone is okay. Stupidly asking them a question when 5+ years have passed is just.....stupid. Granted, I still like comments on Cover's Story, despite it being 3+ years old, but that's because I'm still a very active member. A good forum-goer will take note of the post times and the poster, and make judgments from there.

And I hope you take notice in realizing that I am not saying anything in this thread against you (though Atom is, reasonable or not). It's against the entire revival of franchise discussion, which we've seen ad nauseum, and is exacerbated by creating a new thread. I underline my words for reasons, and I think before I say (most) of them. So don't take it personally - you're but one in a collection of many who are responsible.

Over the years, FXhome has seen quadratic escalation in its population and, regrettably in turn, its demographic. What used to be eager enthusiasts who were dedicated to producing films for people here to see - this was my main goal in filmmaking when I was 14 - is now a rather odd collection of lower-aged teens who purchased the cheap, effective software and use the forums as a shoutbox for whatever they want to say.

Basically, I think there was a reason I browsed FXhome's software and films before I actually joined the forum - and it was because the forums were something I wanted to understand before (potentially) abusing. Because, in all honesty, back then I did think bans were the commonplace thing, and that was terrifying. The times, they are a'changing.

EDIT:
Also, Richard III, in the spirit of complete transparency, I have -1ed you for completely, again, missing my point. Your retort is long, quote-laden and yet it still fails to respond to anything I brought up. My point is that simply liking a film is not enough. Consider whether or not it would be worthwhile to post up, or that it goes without saying. Even beyond that, the sheer lack of variety is what further kills the franchise-only posts. And it's not that you're not acquainted, it's that the only thing you posted to start the thread was that. So you look unacquainted.

Last edited Mon, 1st Jun 2009, 5:05am; edited 2 times in total.

Posted: Mon, 1st Jun 2009, 4:56am

Post 26 of 47

No Degradation

Force: 20 | Joined: 1st Apr 2009 | Posts: 110

Windows User

Member

Pooky wrote:


As for Awesome Fist and the others, yes, they make me want to go find another forum.
You are so right I can't even explain it.

We all know who is bringing the forums down, and Fxhome as well. I don't have anything against Richard, but for some of the others...
Man if I was a mod, there would be about... oh, 3 less people on the forums? wink
Posted: Mon, 1st Jun 2009, 5:01am

Post 27 of 47

ben3308

Force: 5210 | Joined: 24th May 2004 | Posts: 6433

VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Granted, about half the mod-ish force (Kid, Sollthar, Arktic, and scwhar - company founder!) wanted Atom banned a few years back and the other mods (Tarn) stood against it. So either way, unless you can reach a good consensus, it's not going to happen.

Keep in mind, too, that if a user is given their posting privileges (+1's, gold user, etc) through means of purchasing a program, it doesn't bode well for the company to expel its paying customer.
Posted: Mon, 1st Jun 2009, 5:25am

Post 28 of 47

Pooky

Force: 4834 | Joined: 8th Jul 2003 | Posts: 5913

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User MacOS User FXhome Movie Maker

Gold Member

Aye, as much as it pains me to say this, Awesome Fist is a potential customer, and customers are usually king. Banning him would mean that he probably never buys anything from this site, so it would only really be acceptable if said banning also resulted in not losing other sales.

In this case, I'd say he and the others are scaring away customers by turning the once awesome and intelligent forums into frickin YouTube comments.

But then, there's only really a few of us relatively young oldsters talking about this, so maybe the others don't really care, and we're losing our time. Anyone else care to comment?
Posted: Mon, 1st Jun 2009, 5:37am

Post 29 of 47

No Degradation

Force: 20 | Joined: 1st Apr 2009 | Posts: 110

Windows User

Member

Yeah Pooky and Ben, you're both right.

But think about this...

Would one customer be potentially greater then lets say... future customers? Awesome Fist is one customer, and by allowing some of those kinds of people to stay on the site, it is driving away many other potential customers. Awesome Fist is one person, think about the hundreds of other people that may turn away from Fxhome because of his... personality. So keeping people like that may actually drive future buyers away from these products, which would be a complete shame; seeing the magic of Fxhome.
Posted: Mon, 1st Jun 2009, 6:52am

Post 30 of 47

Atom

Force: 4300 | Joined: 9th May 2004 | Posts: 7014

EffectsLab Lite User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Pooky wrote:

In this case, I'd say he and the others are scaring away customers by turning the once awesome and intelligent forums into frickin YouTube comments.
This is the heart and soul of my point.

FXHome has grown, shaped, transformed, and progressed forward as both a community and a company an almost unimaginable amount in the past 3 to 4 years; and it frightens me to see what I expected to be another seasonal trend of 'group of new users troll, annoy, and dominate for a week and then get bored and quit' expand from a week, to weeks, to months even- and get more and more rampant. And the subject matter, this thread included- get laden so heavily in the fantasy world of nerd-magnet franchises- is another cause for concern- as to me it represents a backward movement.

Now, nothing's wrong with these in moderation, no, and I'm not one to say anyone is obsessed- but when fanboyish stuff like this grows, it grows fast. Best to stop it while you can, point it out, and move on. I did this with jawajohnny- it worked, and we're both better- as is the forum- because of it. There was a lot of stuff he went on about that either went 'without saying' or didn't need to be said to begin with. Because we hammered out this issue, I've never run into this problem with him since. In fact, he's actually a very worthy and interesting contributor. He transcended the cliche of the Star Wars nerd.

Like I said, FXHome has transcended the franchises it capitalized on 4 or 5 years ago to sell products- for the creation of lightsabers and the like. And even then, it was with serious, somewhat professional, curiously-humble people. As its grown, even with a larger and more-potentially-trolling userbase- the professionalism and curiosity have grown (even in myself, for example!) and the needs and selling points have raised above mere fanfilms.

I think FXHome would say, or at least I would guess, that the allure of their products and majority of sales come from the grading and muzzle flash aspects of their programs these days, not the lightsabers or LOTR add-ins.

I'm not trying to hate on Richard III, I know he tries, I'm just trying to help him transcend this type of thing because, naturally, I worry about the well-being of a place I fondly consider my internet home, my community. I'm sure many can appreciate that.

I look and I see a stick in the train track- I'm just trying to remove it so we can keep progressing forward.
Posted: Mon, 1st Jun 2009, 7:25am

Post 31 of 47

ben3308

Force: 5210 | Joined: 24th May 2004 | Posts: 6433

VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Rating: +1

It's not in Paris.
Posted: Mon, 1st Jun 2009, 10:17am

Post 32 of 47

fertesz

Force: 1765 | Joined: 25th Apr 2003 | Posts: 470

VisionLab User VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Rating: +4

Because it is already off-topic, I would like to ask one thing guys.

If you believe that interest in particular movie types is a stage to be "transcended", why won't you simply list "good" movies in your post, instead of killing this thread? I understand that some of you feel they've "grown up" in they're movie preferences, and naturally would like to participate in topics about what thay believe is worthwhile, but forum seems to be public place. If Richard (or anyone else) lists LOTR or Matrix, it doesn't prevent anyone else from listing any kind of serious, "grown-up" if you like, movies.

If you instead say that the other guy's list is a crap, and not a "worthwile cinema", I would say it is kinda unnecessary. Wouldn't it be better just to list what you believe is good/bad? Or possibly start a topic on how you believe discussing certain franchises is not good in your opinion.

I'm just asking really. I wouldn't really care about this thread, because I'm certainly an infrequent poster, and I don't have the skill or moviemaking experience of some of you guys. But what I wrote above seems a nice thing to do. But then again, perhaps there are rules on this forum I'm not aware of, in which case I apologize for asking a stupid question.
Posted: Mon, 1st Jun 2009, 10:26am

Post 33 of 47

Simon K Jones

Force: 27955 | Joined: 1st Jan 2002 | Posts: 11683

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 5 Pro User MuzzlePlug User PowerPlug User PhotoKey 3 Plug-in User FXhome Movie Maker FXpreset Maker Windows User

FXhome Team Member

Rating: +6

Well said, fertesz.

There's a few things worth covering here, I think.

* If you find an old topic and have something interesting/useful to add to it, then go right ahead. The forums are for discussion, so don't hold back! 'Bumping' is only seen as a bad thing if you do it with a useless post that doesn't contribute anything.

* I don't want any kind of film snobbery on FXhome. I don't care if you love Battleship Potempkin, L'Aventura, Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, The Mummy Returns, Turner & Hooch, Phantasm, Eraserhead or anything in-between. If you love movies, any movies, that's good enough for me.

* Having said that, repeatedly talking about the same small set of movies in different topics can get a little tired after a while, and does tend to limit potential discussion a bit. Variety is, as they say, the spice of life.

* 'List' topics are a bit dull and don't really enable discussion. Instead of posting a big list with no context, why not pick one or two movies from that list and actually take the time to write why you think what you think. That way people have something they can get their teeth into and debate properly.

* As for some of the younger, newer posters who are seemingly oblivious to netiquette and efficient communication in general: Constantly ragging on them is not the answer. All that does is get everyone pissed off. Instead, do what we've always done at FXhome.com: set the tone by example. Post politely, intelligently and in a friendly manner. Stand up for the little man and don't let anyone be a bully. Set that tone, put the truth where it matters, and everything else will follow through.

* I don't include Richard III in the above mentioned group, and nobody else should either. I see great potential in this one. *rubs hands together evilly*

* M is a fracking awesome movie that everyone should see. Great movie in itself, and a great piece of film history.
Posted: Mon, 1st Jun 2009, 11:06am

Post 34 of 47

Staff Only

Force: 1805 | Joined: 22nd Feb 2005 | Posts: 1232

VisionLab User MacOS User

Gold Member

Tarn wrote:

* As for some of the younger, newer posters who are seemingly oblivious to netiquette and efficient communication in general: Constantly ragging on them is not the answer. All that does is get everyone pissed off. Instead, do what we've always done at FXhome.com: set the tone by example. Post politely, intelligently and in a friendly manner. Stand up for the little man and don't let anyone be a bully. Set that tone, put the truth where it matters, and everything else will follow through.
I think this really is the smartest thing anyone has said in this thread. I am not claiming to be without fault when it comes to this. I have called out a new member twice in the two last weeks, but this post really opened my eyes.

Atom wrote:

This is why I shouldn't have ignored my conscience and should have hammered out these things with Richard III, the way I've done with numerous others who've hated me for it over the years, the way I did with jawajohnny even. They've all been better for it, and more importantly, so have the forums.

Atom wrote:

I'm not trying to hate on Richard III, I know he tries, I'm just trying to help him transcend this type of thing because, naturally, I worry about the well-being of a place I fondly consider my internet home, my community. I'm sure many can appreciate that.
Yes, Atom. Speaking for myself I can very much appreciate your feelings of entitlement towards FXhome. You are one of the top contributes, and having read these forums since 2004 I have enjoyed reading (most of) your posts.

Still I do not think that the self righteous tone you take with some newbies is justified. I don't think you can "better" a person over a internet forum by bullying them, and that you decide who needs "bettering" and who doesn't seems quite pretentious. I do not have first hand knowledge so if I am wrong please say so, but I will refer to the last quote above and say as fertesz: the forums are a public place. No matter how much you want to Atom, you don't really have any more entitlement than anyone else (unless post-count and FXperience matter).

You also spoke of quitting and to that I say as Alfred in The Dark Knight (hope it's not to mainstream razz): "Endure". FXhome would not be the same without it's most controversial poster.

Last edited Mon, 1st Jun 2009, 3:10pm; edited 1 times in total.

Posted: Mon, 1st Jun 2009, 2:57pm

Post 35 of 47

Terminal Velocity

Force: 2507 | Joined: 7th Apr 2008 | Posts: 1350

VisionLab User FXpreset Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Rating: -2

wall Is this really going to be my Internet life? A series of arguments that ultimately end up going nowhere but into a metaphorical quagmire of -1's? How do I do it? It's not fair!

Um, actually I didn't mean indie movies. I meant...LOTR. And the Matrix. Again. burst They're so old that I'm afraid bumping them will be the final nail in my coffin to being an annoying fanboy. Irredeemably branded. So I want to make sure of that.

Holy freeging crap, ben. I APOLOGIZED. That equals, THE END OF IT. I didn't want to argue about this anymore, and I certainly see no point in dumping another crap load of -1's on me.
Posted: Mon, 1st Jun 2009, 3:05pm

Post 36 of 47

Simon K Jones

Force: 27955 | Joined: 1st Jan 2002 | Posts: 11683

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 5 Pro User MuzzlePlug User PowerPlug User PhotoKey 3 Plug-in User FXhome Movie Maker FXpreset Maker Windows User

FXhome Team Member

Rating: +1

Staff Only - yeah, there's a very fine line between coming across as aggressive and bullying and pointing out people's flaws in order to help them. I definitely agree with Atom's sentiment about helping people become better posters - there's no point just ignoring when people are making fools of themselves, because they'll never learn. The crucial element is in how you educate them. And I think the key to that is as I said in my above post - make your point, sure, but be polite, intelligent and friendly.

In the end, if someone can't make a point while remaining polite, intelligent and friendly, then they're probably not particularly great communicators either and shouldn't be giving out advice to that effect. smile

Richard III - relax dude, everything's cool. I'll remove any unwarranted -1s from this topic. Let's move along now...

One thing I forgot to mention earlier -

ben3308 wrote:

Mods, cleanup time.
What would be even better would be if some of the older members could restrain themselves a little, so that the mods wouldn't have to wade in. Seriously, I'm getting a bit tired of coming in every Monday morning to this kinda thing.

OK, so some of the younger posters might be irritating you. That doesn't give you license to behave antagonistically and it doesn't mean you're suddenly spokesperson for the FXhome community. If you can't respond in a friendly manner, it's best to keep quiet or message/email a moderator directly so that they can handle it maturely.

Last edited Mon, 1st Jun 2009, 3:12pm; edited 1 times in total.

Posted: Mon, 1st Jun 2009, 3:07pm

Post 37 of 47

Terminal Velocity

Force: 2507 | Joined: 7th Apr 2008 | Posts: 1350

VisionLab User FXpreset Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Rating: -4

Richard III wrote:

Um, actually I didn't mean indie movies. I meant...LOTR. And the Matrix. Again. They're so old that I'm afraid bumping them will be the final nail in my coffin to being an annoying fanboy. Irredeemably branded. So I want to make sure of that.
Posted: Mon, 1st Jun 2009, 3:09pm

Post 38 of 47

Staff Only

Force: 1805 | Joined: 22nd Feb 2005 | Posts: 1232

VisionLab User MacOS User

Gold Member

Tarn wrote:

Staff Only - yeah, there's a very fine line between coming across as aggressive and bullying and pointing out people's flaws in order to help them. I definitely agree with Atom's sentiment about helping people become better posters - there's no point just ignoring when people are making fools of themselves, because they'll never learn. The crucial element is in how you educate them. And I think the key to that is as I said in my above post - make your point, sure, but be polite, intelligent and friendly.
I will keep this in mind in the future. Thank you.
Posted: Mon, 1st Jun 2009, 4:21pm

Post 39 of 47

The Flying Fox

Force: 1316 | Joined: 1st Sep 2007 | Posts: 155

VisionLab User FXpreset Maker FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Rating: +1

This topic is way off, but seeing as it may have been made to create a thread that was free of the constraints of just quotes in film, I think the sacrifice was worth it.

I think that this discussion was always going to take place at some point- more than a few people wanted to discuss the matter, and yet as it focuses on the negative aspects of the community, it actaully promotes what everyone seems to be arguing about- Intellectual disccusion.

To be honest I think that Fxhome(and this thread to a degree) has become balanced, it contains a perfect mix of debaters, arguers, newbies(pardon the phrase),mediators, entertainers, jokers, and common sense.

This really is one of those strange threads, it completely violates the rules, and conduct, completely off topic, has an argumentative tone...

and yet as as the debate continues, and more and more valid points are made, we come to a better understanding of what it was we were arguing over. As a discussion, this thread has succeded.

This is possibly the greatest thing about fxhome, it still retains its variety, and as Atom has stated, has improved over the years, I've only been here since about 2007, but even in that timeframe, i've noticed a shift.

Regardless of the past however, Fxhome today is one of the most interesting and varied forums on the internet (Bold Statement I know), where it seems that people are still willing to put time and effort in to post, its engaging to the people that view it, and yet obviously not off-putting to the younger users, such as myself, Richard III, Awesome fist, etc.

Interesting how something with such negative tones can give birth to something so positive.

Thanks for reading, I'm not a regular contributor, although I do read most posts, but theres my Two pennies.

Tim

PS:
Seriously, I'm getting a bit tired of coming in every Monday morning to this kinda thing.
Great line Tarn, really.

PPS:Great Thread for arguing! Should help a lot when I'm sitting my english exam tommorow.

EDIT:Though its not a film, Ashes to Ashes last week:

Hunt (to Carling):"Get me my search warrant"
Drake:"Where'd you get the time to get a search warrant?"
-Carling hands a crowbar to Hunt.

Perfectly sums up the character.

Last edited Mon, 1st Jun 2009, 10:33pm; edited 3 times in total.

Posted: Mon, 1st Jun 2009, 4:34pm

Post 40 of 47

No Respite Productions

Force: 985 | Joined: 4th Dec 2006 | Posts: 482

EffectsLab Pro User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Just to throw in my 2p.

I was bigging up this website and the community earlier today to my workmate, whose son is very eager to start film making and developing a portfolio so he can penetrate (snigger) the filming industry.

Hopefully if he does decide to join, he'll conduct himself with more decorum and manners than some of the newer (and older) members do now. But I wonder, only because I've never received one, how much modding goes on behind the scenes when people start acting silly?

Is a private message sent to the user by the mods, to have a "quiet word" about their behaviour? I've always found a one to one intervention seems to have more effect on people.

But one thing some of the older members must bear in mind is that kids are kids and will have to grow and develop in their own time. That requires a wider range of experiences than one forum on the Internet.

And for the record...

Best Movie Moments - Sheriff Bart holding himself hostage upon visiting the town in Blazing Saddles. Just ridiculously brilliant humour and some of the best comic acting from Cleavon Little.

The two car chase scenes in Children of Men.

The kennel scene in The Thing

Omaha Beach Landing in Saving Private Ryan

All of Blade Runner.
Posted: Mon, 1st Jun 2009, 5:39pm

Post 41 of 47

ben3308

Force: 5210 | Joined: 24th May 2004 | Posts: 6433

VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Tarn wrote:

ben3308 wrote:

Mods, cleanup time.
What would be even better would be if some of the older members could restrain themselves a little, so that the mods wouldn't have to wade in. Seriously, I'm getting a bit tired of coming in every Monday morning to this kinda thing.
Yeah, I saw this response coming when I wrote that. I meant more 'cleanup' in terms of the thread, not what I'd written. I still stand by what I wrote and think it makes sense. And it was against a principle, not people. I was not ragging on 'the usual suspects' and lumping Richard III into that group - I hate being lumped into preconceived groups. Rather, he's one of many recently who have jumped on this franchise bandwagon and have created multiple self-effacing threads to reference it. Just as Bryan M. Block's 'appreciation' of older cinema gets annoying to others, so does this.

And thank you for recognizing 'M'. Lang at the top of his form.

And Richard III, I'd advise against just quoting something you already wrote three posts later without adding anything. That's something I'd deem highly skippable. wink
Posted: Mon, 1st Jun 2009, 8:01pm

Post 42 of 47

BST1Productions

Force: 351 | Joined: 7th Mar 2009 | Posts: 87

EffectsLab Pro User Windows User

Gold Member

Hmmmmm....

Last edited Mon, 1st Jun 2009, 8:41pm; edited 1 times in total.

Posted: Mon, 1st Jun 2009, 8:19pm

Post 43 of 47

Terminal Velocity

Force: 2507 | Joined: 7th Apr 2008 | Posts: 1350

VisionLab User FXpreset Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Rating: -3

It was a question that I was repeating, ben, because it wasn't answered. And in a heated argument like this, questions that aren't fairly recent tend to be forgotten. It's the same thing as rewriting the question. And something tells me you're overreacting.

But why has this argument continued? For heaven's sake, can't people just drop it and move on?
Posted: Mon, 1st Jun 2009, 8:54pm

Post 44 of 47

Staff Only

Force: 1805 | Joined: 22nd Feb 2005 | Posts: 1232

VisionLab User MacOS User

Gold Member

Rating: +1

Richard III wrote:

But why has this argument continued? For heaven's sake, can't people just drop it and move on?
I think, as The Flying Fox touched upon, that at FXhome we are fond of some healthy debate, and just because the original debaters in the thread want to stop discussing doesn't necessarily stop the rest of us from wanting to continue.

Remember Data in TNG:

Counselor Troi (to her mother): "Can you stop this pointless bickering?!" *Storms off*
Data: "Please continue the pointless bickering, I find it highly intriguing."

If you've noticed, whenever a topic turns into two or three guys (are there any girls at FXhome?) at each others necks suddenly it's the hottest topic in General Chat.
Posted: Mon, 1st Jun 2009, 10:13pm

Post 45 of 47

Atom

Force: 4300 | Joined: 9th May 2004 | Posts: 7014

EffectsLab Lite User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Even for younger and relatively newer members, Staff Only and Flying Fox have it right. And they've almost always conducted themselves in an appropriate, curious, but not prodding manner.

Great points, guys. Others in your generational-wave (yet to be named by Waser) of FXhomers should take note.
Posted: Mon, 1st Jun 2009, 10:28pm

Post 46 of 47

JoelM

Force: 560 | Joined: 7th Jun 2004 | Posts: 349

EffectsLab Lite User FXpreset Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Best:
"Brother, life's a b*tch... and she's back in heat. " -They Live (1988)
"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass ...and I'm all out of bubblegum" -They Live (1988)

Not sure:

"God damn bugs whacked us, Johnny" - Starship Troopers (1997)

Worst:
"They're eating her....and then they're going to eat me....OMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!" - Troll 2 (1990)

I'm sure there's much better and much worst lines, both films I've seen and have yet to see but these were just the first few off the top of my head.
Posted: Mon, 1st Jun 2009, 11:33pm

Post 47 of 47

Bolbi

Force: 408 | Joined: 22nd Apr 2006 | Posts: 429

EffectsLab Pro User MacOS User

Gold Member

Rating: +1

Tarn wrote:

I'm getting a bit tired of coming in every Monday morning to this kinda thing.
Don't kid, this is why you get out of bed every morning!