You are viewing an archive of the old fxhome.com forums. The community has since moved to hitfilm.com.

check it out

Posted: Sun, 19th Jul 2009, 2:06am

Post 1 of 25

nerfgunnerz3

Force: 1000 | Joined: 2nd May 2008 | Posts: 59

VisionLab User FXhome Movie Maker

Gold Member

hey i made this video and i wanted to see what u guys thought of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usRdmqCkrgs
Posted: Sun, 19th Jul 2009, 6:00am

Post 2 of 25

Aculag

Force: 8365 | Joined: 21st Jun 2002 | Posts: 8581

EffectsLab Lite User VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

Rating: +3

Do you really want to know what we thought of this? You might not like what you hear.
Posted: Sun, 19th Jul 2009, 8:47am

Post 3 of 25

Sollthar

Force: 13360 | Joined: 30th Oct 2001 | Posts: 6094

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 2 Pro User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User MacOS User

SuperUser

Rating: +3

I stopped watching after 50 seconds.

This is a filmmaking website. Put some effort into your films and they'll be watched.
Posted: Sun, 19th Jul 2009, 3:03pm

Post 4 of 25

Tommy Gundersen

Force: 530 | Joined: 25th Jan 2005 | Posts: 471

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

I cant see how Aculag and Sollthar get -rates on those replies, as they are as honest as they can get.

If you publish something, you have to live with the audience's critique, good or bad. And as sollthar said, a lot more effort should be put into what ever you do.

Sollthar should have + for actually hanging in there for 50 seconds. Not -.

I stopped watching after 30.
Posted: Sun, 19th Jul 2009, 3:22pm

Post 5 of 25

Sollthar

Force: 13360 | Joined: 30th Oct 2001 | Posts: 6094

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 2 Pro User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User MacOS User

SuperUser

I cant see how Aculag and Sollthar get -rates on those replies, as they are as honest as they can get.
Don't worry. People who are usually first to be insultingly offensively honest deal out -1 for an honest reply the quickest. That's the way it works. wink
I'll let the votes stand as they bring amusement to my day.


Anyways. I thought the video was quickly thrown together and hence I had no intention of watching through it. And I wrote just that. I'll gladly watch another video by nerfgunnerz if it shows some actual effort that I can comment on, rather then this.

As Tommy Gunderson correctly states: If you don't want honest replies, don't publish your work.
Posted: Sun, 19th Jul 2009, 3:54pm

Post 6 of 25

B3N

Force: 3081 | Joined: 26th Feb 2006 | Posts: 1534

VisionLab User VideoWrap User FXpreset Maker Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

My thoughts of this can't really be said over the internet.

But learn different camera angles, lighting, acting and the art of editing.
Posted: Sun, 19th Jul 2009, 4:19pm

Post 7 of 25

pdrg

Force: 5405 | Joined: 4th Dec 2006 | Posts: 4143

VisionLab User Windows User

Gold Member

Rating: +1

It's a couple of kids playing around for an afternoon, I'll bet it was fun to make, but doesn't really offer the viewer anything. Remember shorter = better, so next time script it tightly shoot and edit it, keep it under a minute and you'll get more views I suspect.
Posted: Sun, 19th Jul 2009, 6:40pm

Post 8 of 25

spydurhank

Force: 1956 | Joined: 24th Jun 2008 | Posts: 1357

VisionLab User VideoWrap User FXpreset Maker Windows User FXhome Movie Maker

Gold Member

I took it for what it was meant to be. 2 kids having a good time as pdrg put it.

I thought Aculag's post was brutally honest but I also thought he was nice about it, plus I found it hystarically funny along with Solthar's post.
As funny as I thought the first 2 posts were, trust me I was laughing for a while, Solthar it's "almost" unfair to say it that way when you didn't really watch the entire video don't you think? wink I get why you didn't watch the whole thing though. Like I said... To me it was funny but to a kid I think... it may come across as being a little harsh, hence the reason for the negatives that he gave which I don't think you guys deserve by the way.

This is for some of you guys. It's not to be spiteful or anything like that, it's just a little insight or something to consider is all.

You guys have to realize that you're talking to a young kid who's probably only 14 or 15 years old and doesn't know how to take criticism very well. Take into account that your feedback sounded like one adult speaking to another adult in an "as a matter of fact" attitude, because one guy doesn't care for the other guys work. It's like when you see someone do something wrong. You tell them that they are wrong but you don't tell them how to correct their mistake. You can't expect them to react or even perform very well when you talk to them like that and then just leave them hanging with no inkling as to what they did wrong other than telling them to "put some effort into your films and they'll be watched" Albeit funny to me it was in no way helpful to nerfgunnerz3.
It doesn't tell him why you stopped watching at 30 or 50 seconds and saying that it was quickly thrown together is gonna sound at the very least vague to the kid. Why? Because you're till not bieng helpful. You give him no reason other than what your opinion is and how you feel about it but you don't tell him the "Why" which is what he really needs to hear if he's ever going to improve enough to make a video that you might watch. You do want him to improve right? I sure hope so because as you said... "This is a filmmaking website". If you notice... the kid hasn't responded with any harsh words other than giving you guys some negatives. This tells me that his feelings may have been hurt. I could be wrong though and way off base.

Anyway, I watched the video last night after I got home from having a few drinks and I thought it was funny even though I thought the begining was rather strange. I watched it again this afternoon and I still thought it was funny and yes the begining was still strange. Those kids really liked that drink man. eek Wow.
Posted: Sun, 19th Jul 2009, 7:22pm

Post 9 of 25

Terminal Velocity

Force: 2507 | Joined: 7th Apr 2008 | Posts: 1350

VisionLab User FXpreset Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Rating: +1

eh

I've seen it. Now comes the believing part.

I'm sure this was a blast to make. It was very, very, boring to watch. I am not against making this kind of video and even putting it on Youtube, but FXhome...please don't. I'm trying to remember that you didn't attempt to put it in the Cinema, but seriously, we simply don't want to see this.

A good part: When the slow motion began. The framerate was ridiculously bad, but except for that I didn't mind the part. But, as I prayed and hoped you wouldn't, you made it way too long. Slomo and happy music are all potentially extremely funny, but NOT when they're overused. It ruined the moment because you "overindulged" yourself in the slow motion. Possibly forgetting how excruciatingly long it is. Please don't do that again.

The ending was not bad, but I expected it throughout the whole thing. Obviously the Fuze (whatever Fuze is) was going to break.

You'll get there. Give it time. (A LOT of time.)
Posted: Mon, 20th Jul 2009, 12:44am

Post 10 of 25

Viking

Force: 130 | Joined: 21st Nov 2004 | Posts: 64

Windows User

Member

spydurhank wrote:

I took it for what it was meant to be. 2 kids having a good time as pdrg put it.

I thought Aculag's post was brutally honest but I also thought he was nice about it, plus I found it hystarically funny along with Solthar's post.
As funny as I thought the first 2 posts were, trust me I was laughing for a while, Solthar it's "almost" unfair to say it that way when you didn't really watch the entire video don't you think? wink I get why you didn't watch the whole thing though. Like I said... To me it was funny but to a kid I think... it may come across as being a little harsh, hence the reason for the negatives that he gave which I don't think you guys deserve by the way.

This is for some of you guys. It's not to be spiteful or anything like that, it's just a little insight or something to consider is all.

You guys have to realize that you're talking to a young kid who's probably only 14 or 15 years old and doesn't know how to take criticism very well. Take into account that your feedback sounded like one adult speaking to another adult in an "as a matter of fact" attitude, because one guy doesn't care for the other guys work. It's like when you see someone do something wrong. You tell them that they are wrong but you don't tell them how to correct their mistake. You can't expect them to react or even perform very well when you talk to them like that and then just leave them hanging with no inkling as to what they did wrong other than telling them to "put some effort into your films and they'll be watched" Albeit funny to me it was in no way helpful to nerfgunnerz3.
It doesn't tell him why you stopped watching at 30 or 50 seconds and saying that it was quickly thrown together is gonna sound at the very least vague to the kid. Why? Because you're till not bieng helpful. You give him no reason other than what your opinion is and how you feel about it but you don't tell him the "Why" which is what he really needs to hear if he's ever going to improve enough to make a video that you might watch. You do want him to improve right? I sure hope so because as you said... "This is a filmmaking website". If you notice... the kid hasn't responded with any harsh words other than giving you guys some negatives. This tells me that his feelings may have been hurt. I could be wrong though and way off base.

Anyway, I watched the video last night after I got home from having a few drinks and I thought it was funny even though I thought the begining was rather strange. I watched it again this afternoon and I still thought it was funny and yes the begining was still strange. Those kids really liked that drink man. eek Wow.
[OFF TOPIC]Is it just me, or are you always drunk and acting like Dr. Phil when you reply to posts on FXhome?
[ON TOPIC] This video sucks plain and simple.
Posted: Mon, 20th Jul 2009, 12:59am

Post 11 of 25

voiceoverwizard

Force: 931 | Joined: 30th Dec 2002 | Posts: 465

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User

Gold Member

Wow to think I watched the entire thing waiting for something to happen(it didn't) then didn't post a review because I would have just asked for my 5 minutes back.

So can I get my 5 min. back?
Posted: Mon, 20th Jul 2009, 3:43am

Post 12 of 25

spydurhank

Force: 1956 | Joined: 24th Jun 2008 | Posts: 1357

VisionLab User VideoWrap User FXpreset Maker Windows User FXhome Movie Maker

Gold Member

Ah wow! biggrin See dude, Vikings comment was in no way helpful to anyone but it was funny as hell and it made me laugh! LOL! hugegrin
Na dude, I was drunk last night, that's why I commented this afternoon. Freaking funny dude, I have to show this to all my buds.

Hey voiceoverwizard... dude if you have a car that can make it up to 85 m.p.h. you can just activate your flux capacitor and problem solved.
Posted: Mon, 20th Jul 2009, 4:18am

Post 13 of 25

AwesomeFist

Force: 288 | Joined: 6th Dec 2008 | Posts: 541

Windows User MacOS User

Member

This video i stop watching after 30 secs too but your other video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFuhpDJyROY was more entertaining then this one but one tip when you get computer screen shots record them separately with some screen recorder then composite them on to your clip and if you have to use a program like gimp for text then composite those, just plese don't use the movie maker text and for guns, maybe add a little flash
Posted: Mon, 20th Jul 2009, 4:45am

Post 14 of 25

Atom

Force: 4300 | Joined: 9th May 2004 | Posts: 7014

EffectsLab Lite User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

I think the first person to be painfully honest can be funny if also slightly mean- the second person to follow it up with the same kind of comment as the first, without offering any advice for making it viewable/worthwhile, should know better.

I -1d him, he knows it, and he removed it. And I still stand by it and intend to add it again. It's a pretty clear-cut case of 'wasted comment' when it follows one of essentially the same token here, to me. But hey, woe is FXhome! In fact, as ironic as it may be (to me, at least) Richard III of all people took the exact right route on this one with his response. +1, man.

As for the video- in truth, it wasn't all that terrible. Not quite to the snuff of 'viewability' as others of comparable talent and age have had in the past- it's clear it was a 'just for fun' video- but there's still some good parts here.

Most-importantly, though, there is some effort in this- however indiscernable- and I acknowledge that. Another reason I disagree with the approach the first couple of posts in this thread took. The thing to it is, we can't see this unless you make it more evident and put even more effort into it. Sometimes 70 hours of work on a video only looks like 10, but that's just how things are and we've all gotta live with it. You've got to accept that when people can work faster or better than you, they're not going as easily or greatly appreciate the work you're putting in- or even notice it for that matter.

I think the key to it all that you're just missing is being concise. For better or worse, there is some narrative style in the video, but we don't get to see it because the takes are so long, the angles are so stale for staying on them that long, and the acting is, well, what it is. This is where quicker takes and editing is your friend.

Me, I watched the whole thing for the most part, albeit skipping around to see if it changed any- and hey, it did! But if you stay on your first setup angle for a solid minute and it isn't exactly a 'showstopper' of a take or angle, you're most-assuredly going to lose most of your non-friend/family audience in boredom and embarassment- mostly because no one has the kind of patience, but also because if they turn it off they don't know that it actually breaks up into different, actual scenes later on. And why? Because you lose them in the beginning.

Look, there's obviously a very 'rushed' feeling to this, which makes actual cinematic critique silly for the most part, but the fable beckons reitterating- a point I'm making pretty big in our upcoming 'Atomic Guide' to filmmaking:

You've gotta start and end with a punch in short films. No more of this 'slow-burn' technique- in the world of YouTube culture and short-attention spans, however shallow it may sound, it's a reality that your audience likely isn't going to give your work the benefit of the doubt and sit through a boring or rocky start.

So, if you've got a laggy or less-impressive bit of your movie, almost always try to gear it somewhere in the middle, as an appropriate 'bridge' to a 'wow-factor' beginning and an impacting ending; even if it isn't a magnum opus. (another term I talk a lot about in The Atomic Guide wink)
Posted: Mon, 20th Jul 2009, 7:35am

Post 15 of 25

Sollthar

Force: 13360 | Joined: 30th Oct 2001 | Posts: 6094

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 2 Pro User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User MacOS User

SuperUser

I -1d him, he knows it, and he removed it.
As I said, it amused me so I left it standing. Some other mod must have removed it - don't even know who.

Feel perfectly free to neg again. And to whoever removed it last time: Please leave it standing! Even if it's atom. I got all my negatives from him so it's totally fine. smile
Posted: Mon, 20th Jul 2009, 8:10am

Post 16 of 25

ben3308

Force: 5210 | Joined: 24th May 2004 | Posts: 6433

VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Before any ratings were given, I was going to -1 Sollthar on the basis of saying nothing, really. Aculag's post was funny, Sollthar's wasn't.

Hell, when you take the time to write a long, in-depth guide to filmmaking, the least you can do is link it to people so that they can read it. Sometimes it's necessary to help those without the ability (or knowhow) to help themselves. Sometimes. In a 'come back again, but don't suck next time' comment, would it really be that hard just to hit copy and paste to explain how to 'not suck'? biggrin
Posted: Mon, 20th Jul 2009, 8:17am

Post 17 of 25

Sollthar

Force: 13360 | Joined: 30th Oct 2001 | Posts: 6094

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 2 Pro User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User MacOS User

SuperUser

You talk too much. Shut your hole, hand out the negs and move on. wink
Posted: Mon, 20th Jul 2009, 8:21am

Post 18 of 25

ben3308

Force: 5210 | Joined: 24th May 2004 | Posts: 6433

VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Why? Because this topic is headed somewhere?

Give me a break....wink
Posted: Mon, 20th Jul 2009, 3:37pm

Post 19 of 25

No Respite Productions

Force: 985 | Joined: 4th Dec 2006 | Posts: 482

EffectsLab Pro User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Rating: +1

Man, you could cut the sexual tension in this thread with a knife wink

Quit flirting you two and school this guy on how it's really done...
Posted: Mon, 20th Jul 2009, 3:59pm

Post 20 of 25

Biblmac

Force: 852 | Joined: 12th Jun 2007 | Posts: 1513

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User

Gold Member

I'll add my two cents now...

The video wasn't very well done as far as for a "film". But it didn't look to be the purpose of it. It didn't look planned, much, anyway. It seemed just kinda thrown together... (which may have not mattered to the person/persons making it). Anyway as a film, it sucked... but as a "lets just throw something together and put it on youtube" video, it served its purpose.

Anyhow on the topic of making yourself better, I would recommend going to the cinema and finding some 4 or 5 star rated videos and study a couple. A handful that come to mind are, Treasure of the Templars: 10 minute preview, Art Of The Saber, Pages, The Turning, and Hammerhead (music video). Check them out and watch what you liked about them and try to incorporate them into your videos.

Here are two links to things on this site that may be helpful to you.

Sollthars Filmmaking Guide 2

The Ultimate Filmmaker's FAQ 5!

ON A SIDE NOTE: With all this talk about someone should help him help himself, why didn't anyone post these two links earlier...

Last edited Mon, 20th Jul 2009, 4:12pm; edited 1 times in total.

Posted: Mon, 20th Jul 2009, 4:06pm

Post 21 of 25

Sollthar

Force: 13360 | Joined: 30th Oct 2001 | Posts: 6094

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 2 Pro User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User MacOS User

SuperUser

Rating: +3

And for us all to get along better, a little flipchart I just found

Posted: Tue, 21st Jul 2009, 6:59am

Post 22 of 25

spydurhank

Force: 1956 | Joined: 24th Jun 2008 | Posts: 1357

VisionLab User VideoWrap User FXpreset Maker Windows User FXhome Movie Maker

Gold Member

Sollthar wrote:

And for us all to get along better, a little flipchart I just found

Oh man dude!!! You're killing me brother. That's about the funniest thing I've ever seen. Oh and viking... Guess what man? I'm drunk again dude! That Dr. Phill bit still has me laughing man. HA! biggrin
Posted: Tue, 21st Jul 2009, 9:53am

Post 23 of 25

Viking

Force: 130 | Joined: 21st Nov 2004 | Posts: 64

Windows User

Member

spydurhank wrote:

Oh and viking... Guess what man? I'm drunk again dude!
Thats ok, everyone needs a hobby.
Posted: Wed, 22nd Jul 2009, 12:04am

Post 24 of 25

voiceoverwizard

Force: 931 | Joined: 30th Dec 2002 | Posts: 465

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User

Gold Member

spydurhank wrote:

Ah wow! biggrin See dude, Vikings comment was in no way helpful to anyone but it was funny as hell and it made me laugh! LOL! hugegrin
Na dude, I was drunk last night, that's why I commented this afternoon. Freaking funny dude, I have to show this to all my buds.

Hey voiceoverwizard... dude if you have a car that can make it up to 85 m.p.h. you can just activate your flux capacitor and problem solved.
LOL 88 mph is required to activate the flux capacitor check your facts...

Just kidding
Posted: Wed, 22nd Jul 2009, 1:59am

Post 25 of 25

Terminal Velocity

Force: 2507 | Joined: 7th Apr 2008 | Posts: 1350

VisionLab User FXpreset Maker Windows User

Gold Member

ben3308 wrote:

Why? Because this topic is headed somewhere?

Give me a break....wink
Duelling pistols, anyone?