You are viewing an archive of the old fxhome.com forums. The community has since moved to hitfilm.com.

Trying to shoot stainless steel watches..HELP.

Posted: Thu, 1st Apr 2010, 5:43pm

Post 1 of 14

MrHorology

Force: 100 | Joined: 1st Apr 2010 | Posts: 7

PhotoKey Lite User

Gold Member

I am trying to shoot stainless steel watches on my green screen
and the watches keep coming out transparent
Any idea what is wrong?
Posted: Thu, 1st Apr 2010, 5:49pm

Post 2 of 14

Sollthar

Force: 13360 | Joined: 30th Oct 2001 | Posts: 6094

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 2 Pro User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User MacOS User

SuperUser

Difficult to say. MAybe the metal is reflecting the green tint and therefore, it's hard to make a decent key?
Or your key isn't refined enough?

Can you upload a picture of your shot? Then it would be easier to tell you what's wrong.
Posted: Thu, 1st Apr 2010, 5:50pm

Post 3 of 14

MrHorology

Force: 100 | Joined: 1st Apr 2010 | Posts: 7

PhotoKey Lite User

Gold Member

Sollthar wrote:

Difficult to say. MAybe the metal is reflecting the green tint and therefore, it's hard to make a decent key?
Or your key isn't refined enough?

Can you upload a picture of your shot? Then it would be easier to tell you what's wrong.
Yes, give me a second.
Posted: Thu, 1st Apr 2010, 5:59pm

Post 4 of 14

MrHorology

Force: 100 | Joined: 1st Apr 2010 | Posts: 7

PhotoKey Lite User

Gold Member

Do you just want me to upload it without a background?
Posted: Thu, 1st Apr 2010, 6:00pm

Post 5 of 14

Sollthar

Force: 13360 | Joined: 30th Oct 2001 | Posts: 6094

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 2 Pro User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User MacOS User

SuperUser

Yeah, just the unedited shout you're trying to key. Usually, it's easy to see if a shot could be keyed or not and why not, if not.
Posted: Thu, 1st Apr 2010, 6:02pm

Post 6 of 14

Axeman

Force: 17995 | Joined: 20th Jan 2002 | Posts: 6124

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 5 Pro User MuzzlePlug User PowerPlug User PhotoKey 3 Plug-in User FXhome Movie Maker FXpreset Maker MacOS User

SuperUser

Its almost certainly an issue with the green reflecting in the shiny surface of the watch. Generally Stainless Steel and similar highly reflective surfaces are shot against black backgrounds, so that no color is reflected into the subject. Its possible to shoot it against green, I suppose, but setup will be tricky.

Keep as much distance between your greenscreen and the watch as possible, preferably three of four feet at least, and try to set up a backlight between the watch and greenscreen to provide more separation. As Sollthar mentioned though, its best if we can see an image for more specific suggestions.
Posted: Thu, 1st Apr 2010, 6:04pm

Post 7 of 14

MrHorology

Force: 100 | Joined: 1st Apr 2010 | Posts: 7

PhotoKey Lite User

Gold Member

here is it below.

Posted: Thu, 1st Apr 2010, 6:17pm

Post 8 of 14

Sollthar

Force: 13360 | Joined: 30th Oct 2001 | Posts: 6094

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 2 Pro User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User MacOS User

SuperUser

I need an "unedited" shot. EG, a shot with the greenscreen visible. Not keyed, not touched in any way.

But yes, it looks like your green is reflected in the object, as I suspect. You'll gave to shoot differently. Try to achieve that there's no green tones in your watch. At all. They will make keying hard (or simply require rotoscoping eg mattes)
Posted: Thu, 1st Apr 2010, 6:21pm

Post 9 of 14

MrHorology

Force: 100 | Joined: 1st Apr 2010 | Posts: 7

PhotoKey Lite User

Gold Member

Sollthar wrote:

I need an "unedited" shot. EG, a shot with the greenscreen visible. Not keyed, not touched in any way.

But yes, it looks like your green is reflected in the object, as I suspect. You'll gave to shoot differently. Try to achieve that there's no green tones in your watch. At all. They will make keying hard (or simply require rotoscoping eg mattes)
How do I get a shot with the green screen visible?

Sorry I just got this today sad
Posted: Thu, 1st Apr 2010, 6:29pm

Post 10 of 14

Sollthar

Force: 13360 | Joined: 30th Oct 2001 | Posts: 6094

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 2 Pro User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User MacOS User

SuperUser

Just a screenshot of your original video / photo before you put it into your FX program. smile
Posted: Thu, 1st Apr 2010, 6:47pm

Post 11 of 14

MrHorology

Force: 100 | Joined: 1st Apr 2010 | Posts: 7

PhotoKey Lite User

Gold Member

Here are two below.
I hope I can make this
work some how sad



Posted: Thu, 1st Apr 2010, 6:51pm

Post 12 of 14

Sollthar

Force: 13360 | Joined: 30th Oct 2001 | Posts: 6094

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 2 Pro User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User MacOS User

SuperUser

Thanks.

Yeah, as I thought. As you can clearly see in your shots, the green is reflected massively in the watch. There's no way you can get a decent key out of that shot.

Just putting your watch on a green piece won't work I'm afraid. You will need a different setup. What you need to do is to bring a lot of distance between your watch and your greenscreen as well as probably catch the reflections of the watch (maybe with white, maybe with black pieces of paper, depending on the look you need).

Maybe you can put the watch on some sort of wire and then put the greenscreen in at least 1 metre away. That way, you can avoid it being reflected by the material. But that's definately what you need to avoid.


A key looks for color. And as long as you have green in your watch, it won't work.
Posted: Thu, 1st Apr 2010, 6:57pm

Post 13 of 14

MrHorology

Force: 100 | Joined: 1st Apr 2010 | Posts: 7

PhotoKey Lite User

Gold Member

Sollthar wrote:

Thanks.

Yeah, as I thought. As you can clearly see in your shots, the green is reflected massively in the watch. There's no way you can get a decent key out of that shot.

Just putting your watch on a green piece won't work I'm afraid. You will need a different setup. What you need to do is to bring a lot of distance between your watch and your greenscreen as well as probably catch the reflections of the watch (maybe with white, maybe with black pieces of paper, depending on the look you need).

Maybe you can put the watch on some sort of wire and then put the greenscreen in at least 1 metre away. That way, you can avoid it being reflected by the material. But that's definately what you need to avoid.


A key looks for color. And as long as you have green in your watch, it won't work.
I see, well thank you for your insight. I will try
what you recommended above, and see if that works.
Posted: Thu, 10th Jun 2010, 9:50am

Post 14 of 14

DESMEV

Force: 400 | Joined: 22nd Jan 2009 | Posts: 10

PhotoKey 2 User

Gold Member

I cannot see the images any more, but when there is a polished metal you will always see the green cast in the metal of course.Like the blue sky reflecting in it. And that's a longer distance then 1 mtr. But when they are brushed metal you can try it. As a photographer of jewelry and watches ( www.sieradenfotografie.nl ) I never use a green screen but always shoot on white, grey or black and making a path by hand in Photoshop.That's the way to go to get professional results, but offcourse a lot more work.

Almost all of the images on this site has a background ad in Photoshop. Because when you want a black background and use it while making the picture a lot will be reflected (again...) in the metal. And metal isn't black... So put them on white (and use small pieces of black paper to ad little black reflections on the metal) and if the reflection is to bright put them on grey. Just to manage the brightness of the reflections. And then in PS go the 'path' way.