You are viewing an archive of the old fxhome.com forums. The community has since moved to hitfilm.com.

Damaged project file reanimated :-)

Posted: Wed, 7th Apr 2010, 8:06pm

Post 1 of 4

Helge

Force: 1600 | Joined: 16th Jan 2010 | Posts: 116

VisionLab User PhotoKey 3 User Windows User

Gold Member

Rating: +3

Hi everyone,

I have just been doing a few test with VisionLab Studio (I seem to have been doing that a lot lately). I had to shut down the computer for a while, so I saved the project - and when I came back and opened the file the following messages were displayed: (over and over again - so I had to use the taskmanager to finally kill the process.)




It took me some time to find out what was wrong here. As the project file itself had obliviously been damaged I decided to send the file through an XML-Parser which came up with the following error message:

Error on line 272: An invalid XML character (Unicode: 0xe) was found in the CDATA section.


This sounded interesting so I checked line 272 of the file using notepad++ (which btw. is a fantastic (and free) tool):



The "EPeĆ½..." part looked a little odd - so I simply deleted that and only kept the rest:

<my_compressor type="string"><![CDATA[Photo - JPEG]]></my_compressor>


After that I saved the file, and surprise, surprise: it opened up like a charm in VisionLab. This way I managed to get my file back to life.

The root of all evil (at least for this project) seems to have been one of the video files I used. The video was originally generated by a 'Konica Minolta Dimage Z3'. I had the same problem with all videos from this camera. If you want to check this out yourself, please feel free to download a small demo file here:

http://video.111.kilu.de/dimageZ3Demo.MOV

If you should ever encounter a similar problem, maybe editing the project file with a simple text editor will work for you as well.

Thanks for listening/reading,
Helge
Posted: Thu, 8th Apr 2010, 12:06pm

Post 2 of 4

Fxhome Dude

Force: 996 | Joined: 1st Jun 2009 | Posts: 927

CompositeLab Pro User FXpreset Maker FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Brilliant. smile I'm amazed something like that actually worked (It never does for me).
Posted: Thu, 8th Apr 2010, 12:43pm

Post 3 of 4

R_A_P

Force: 195 | Joined: 9th Mar 2010 | Posts: 28

Windows User

Member

FXhome Dude wrote:

Brilliant. smile I'm amazed something like that actually worked (It never does for me).
Diddo
Posted: Fri, 9th Apr 2010, 10:28pm

Post 4 of 4

Helge

Force: 1600 | Joined: 16th Jan 2010 | Posts: 116

VisionLab User PhotoKey 3 User Windows User

Gold Member

I didn't expect this to work either. But now that it did, I'm really glad the developers chose an XML based format for VisionLab Studio. I don't think that there would have been anything I could have done if they were using some kind of custom binary format.

So, thanks for that smile