You are viewing an archive of the old fxhome.com forums. The community has since moved to hitfilm.com.

Naruto Shippuden: Dreamers Fight - Fan Film Teaser

Posted: Fri, 10th Sep 2010, 1:52pm

Post 1 of 18

CX3

Force: 3137 | Joined: 1st Apr 2003 | Posts: 2527

EffectsLab Lite User VideoWrap User MacOS User FXhome Movie Maker

Gold Member

Naruto Shippuden: Dreamers Fight

Hey guys,

This is the new fan tribute my team and I have chosen to do next. Masashi Kishimoto's Naruto Series (Manga & Anime) has heavily inspired many of us so we thought it would be cool to try and translate a fight to a live action format.

The short is being shot on the Canon EOS 7D and the budget is around $1000-$1200 **I saved up a little more for this one smile The run time should be around 20 minutes. You could say it acts as a live action filler. The battle will be between The Leaf's Naruto Uzamaki & Rock Lee and is set to release sometime in November. In the end, this piece will be strictly for Naruto fans though. I didn't have much interest in adapting this and changing it around for audiences who aren't too familiar (But hopefully they'll still like it as well!! hah).

We're putting our all into this short and we really hope Naruto fans and the creators will enjoy what we've put together!



Directed By: Christopher C. Cowan

Starring: Donald Mills & Brendon Huor

Choreography: Vonzell Carter, David 'Dax' Bauer, James Young, Christopher C. Cowan, Brendon Huor & Donald Mills

Produced By: Ray Martinez & Christopher C. Cowan

Make-Up Artist: Rose Lopez

Thousand Pounds Fight Team


More Info
Posted: Fri, 10th Sep 2010, 3:08pm

Post 2 of 18

Biblmac

Force: 852 | Joined: 12th Jun 2007 | Posts: 1513

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User

Gold Member

This looks awesome! As I believe I posted earlier in a the thread about this in the General chat. I feel really bad giving it 4 stars, because it was amazing, in my opinion, but it didn't really give us much, although it is a teaser, so I guess it got me to want to see more so it did its job. Well done.
Posted: Sun, 12th Sep 2010, 10:59pm

Post 3 of 18

ben3308

Force: 5210 | Joined: 24th May 2004 | Posts: 6433

VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

I liked this, but I thought there wasn't much to it. I dunno, it just doesn't really capture the way I think of Naruto; at least, when I used to watch it while babysitting this kid who loved it a few years back.

No offense to the way you've executed this or anything - it's all top notch - just not my style for 'Naruto'. If there were action in this, I would feel different I think. But right now, as something that is meant to be a non-fighting teaser to communicate the essence of the cartoon, that really didn't come through for me.

I do think, though, that I'll enjoy the final product. So I'm looking forward to that!

3/5
Posted: Mon, 13th Sep 2010, 6:46am

Post 4 of 18

Sollthar

Force: 13360 | Joined: 30th Oct 2001 | Posts: 6094

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 2 Pro User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User MacOS User

SuperUser

Truly, truly wonderful cinematography here. The images are absolutely stunning.

I'm not familiar with whoever or whatever Naruto is, so I have no idea what the final film will be about after watching this teaser. I hope it tells me an actual story, then I'm in. smile
Posted: Mon, 13th Sep 2010, 11:00pm

Post 5 of 18

CX3

Force: 3137 | Joined: 1st Apr 2003 | Posts: 2527

EffectsLab Lite User VideoWrap User MacOS User FXhome Movie Maker

Gold Member

Hey thanks guys for the comments!

Ben - Question, when you were babysitting were you all watching Naruto or Naruto Shippuden? There is a BIG difference in the feels of those two Animes. From your response in the other thread about the Nine Tailed Fox and the big smiley face, makes me believe you were watching Naruto.

Shippuden is the 3 year time jump where they grow up, so-to-speak. The mood is much more serious. If I were to adapt Naruto, it'd have a much more light-hearted feel to reflect the anime. That's partly what makes the story as a whole feel so epic - Because you see how fun it was when they were kids and still learning. And now where Shippuden is, it's a whole other ball park.

For instance, most all of Shippuden has an orchestra based score which really gives an epic/ominous/sorrow feel. The song used in this teaser is one of the more notable songs from the series. It's called the Song of Sorrow and Sadness (Japanese Translation). Anyways, like I said, this piece is strictly meant for fans of the series (but obviously I'm always going to share my stuff on a personal level with the FXhome community!). If you've only had a little experience of the series, I can see how it wouldn't translate but for fans, I'd believe they'd say the feel is pretty good/fitting. No worries though on the rating. I know you wouldn't want me beating out Inebriation anyways wink hee-hee-ha-ha

Sollthar - I want you to like this, but at the same time I don't want you to get your hopes up on an epic story wink If I had more money, I would have went crazy with the story and definitely would have brought in more characters... But I'm broke haha. The story kind of already branches off the existing characters in order to show some great action.

A Thousand Pounds was originally created to be a fight team that boasts different styles/methods in cinematography. We're just in the process of building the reel. But trust, the projects that we're looking at after we're finished with this one will be chop full of story (And they'll be original stories at that!)

Either way, I really hope you'll still get a kick out of this short. I'm trying some stuff that I've never tried before - or seen before... Lets hope it works haha.

Thanks again, guys.
Posted: Mon, 13th Sep 2010, 11:46pm

Post 6 of 18

ben3308

Force: 5210 | Joined: 24th May 2004 | Posts: 6433

VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Chris,

To be honest I wasn't aware there was a difference in the two. My mistake, bro! wink
Posted: Tue, 14th Sep 2010, 8:24pm

Post 7 of 18

Sollthar

Force: 13360 | Joined: 30th Oct 2001 | Posts: 6094

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 2 Pro User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User MacOS User

SuperUser

I'll let myself be surprised. smile

I didn't mean an "epic" story or more characters that would in any way cost more money - in fact, I believe the one thing in filmmaking that doesn't cost money, is having a good story. Just something that involves me. You know, more then Random Guy A meets Random Guy B and then they beat the crap out of each other. Like even the basics: Introducing characters with a problem I can sympathize with so when they eventually WILL beat the crap out of each other, I'll actually care. biggrin

But I might be totally off even expect that in the first place, depending on what Naruto is. biggrin
Posted: Mon, 20th Sep 2010, 4:16am

Post 8 of 18

FXhomer32915

Force: 1485 | Joined: 30th Aug 2008 | Posts: 126

VisionLab User VideoWrap User

Gold Member

Solithar, you are NEVER off-base expecting a story. Without a story, all you have is a silent slideshow, which is analogous to watching home videos of people you don't know. B-O-R-I-N-G! This, however, is a well-shot background for the opening credits of a film or could be used as a recovery montage depicting the hero's (in a story) progress in preparing to avenge an earlier assault on him, his family, etc. [see any Steven Seagal film.] So well shot in fact, that I give it three stars and, as you know, I'm not always generous with my ratings because most of these entries have no story.
Posted: Tue, 21st Sep 2010, 12:37am

Post 9 of 18

galaxyfilms1

Force: 0 | Joined: 12th Dec 2009 | Posts: 2

Member

I think many people here seem to forget that film is a visual medium. Even if you have an interesting story no one will stay around long enough to hear it if it looks like crap. I applaud your sense of imagery and only hope your attention to the story will be just as intense. keep going, your on the right track
Posted: Tue, 21st Sep 2010, 11:25pm

Post 10 of 18

Atom

Force: 4300 | Joined: 9th May 2004 | Posts: 7014

EffectsLab Lite User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Rating: +1

I've gotta be honest man, and I don't mean to be rude, but I'm just sorta yawning at this. Hopefully I can explain why.

I feel like you've already tapped your potential with this sort of thing, and (to me at least) it's just becoming stale and overdone. Sure, with every project I'm impressed by the sound-complexity and technical finesse you distribute, and no doubt it's far superior to a lot of people out there- but at the same time, I feel like I'm seeing the same thing over and over again; and such didn't used to be so 2-3 years ago. And it's not the sort of thematic or formulaic plot repetition that I myself often get called on, but more of a retread of something more specific- and that is, simply, fighting.

See, I've watched your stuff for almost a decade now (as crazy as that sounds), and I've watched you grow as a filmmaker in all of it and branch out further and further as you've honed and perfected your style- and yet, here we are again with a sort of 'test fight fanfilm' material. And I've gotta ask: Why???

I've made a fair few fanfilm projects as well, don't get me wrong, and I'm excited about this one yeah- but after seeing years of progression and upped professionalism, scope, and production from the likes of Daywalker 6 or so years ago- I watched a steady incline into slicker, more multi-faceted, more original material; and I've always really loved that.

Hell, all of your Komikarate stuff, for instance, may not be the slickest- but it was always exceedingly original, innovative, and really really funny. And so when I see you with four or five entries into the cinema and they're all some variation of test fight or fanfilm fight disguised as a 'movie', I'm happy for you and proud of what it is- but I can't help but admit:

I'm a little disappointed. And increasingly underwhelmed.

Yes, all of this stuff is done for fun- I get that. And yes, I realize fanfilms and choreography are your favorite sort of things to work on- but I wish it wasn't all I see from you now; because I see potential for so much more in everything you do.

And so while the 14-year-old in me that first saw 'The Filmmakers 2 Trailer' gets all adrenaline-rushed and giddy in sort of a roll-back-to-that-era-sort-of-way at watching the likes of this or your absolutely excellent Street Fighter fanfilm, I really wish, really yearn for you to do something more with it. Because it feels entirely dried out to me now, and I expect and hope for more from you.

So yes, I know this sounds harsh- I realize it's self-referential and I'm a hypocrite with the very same vice to my work, progress, and creativity- but I still hope you take some of it to heart.

I've seen a handicam, anime-based fanfilm fight with swishy sound effects from you a thousand times over now: Let's see something new! Or, at the very least, something more to build on the success and professionalism you can and have put into this!
Posted: Wed, 22nd Sep 2010, 7:17am

Post 11 of 18

CX3

Force: 3137 | Joined: 1st Apr 2003 | Posts: 2527

EffectsLab Lite User VideoWrap User MacOS User FXhome Movie Maker

Gold Member

Rating: +1/-2

I have to apologize but I can't take any of what you've just said to heart confused

Atom wrote:

I feel like you've already tapped your potential with this sort of thing
I've tapped my potential? With what exactly? Street Fighter Beginnings End???? We shot that in about 3 hours and made it up as we went along (due to a major scheduling issue - we thought we were going to have a full day of shooting). You're telling me that I've tapped my potential with what basically felt like a super rushed 48 hour film fest movie??

I'm glad you think it's "absolutely excellent" but in my eyes Street Fighter: B.E. is hardly that. It's not close to ever being our best work. And that's no disrespect to the actors and crew involved AT ALL - But in terms of what I know I'm capable of, it's very low. I believe my team would say the same for themselves as well.

At the beginning of the year Vonzell, Darren and I vowed to try and work on a fight sequence at least once every month (key word: try). Vonzell has taken a strong interest in choreography and I took a very strong interest in finding new ways to capture fight choreography/action. So we formed a fight team and called it Thousand Pounds and it's been one of the best and most productive things we've done since moving to Los Angeles. The people that we've met since then who've joined us have all been invaluable, especially because we all share the same inspirations.

I doubt you'd understand where I'm coming from because you don't share close to the same inspirations that I do. I rarely watch any movies, and when I do, 95% percent of them don't come from the U.S. I pull most ALL of my inspiration from Video Games, Comics & Anime. And being a filmmaker, I love trying my hand at adapting them in my spare time. Especially after seeing Hollywood destroy so many amazing stories.

I tried adapting something from the Video Game genre back in May. Street Fighter was only for us to get our feet wet. And what I learned from doing so is priceless, imo. But I hated being judged by a large audience on something that I wasn't able to spend quality time on (even though we received a great amount of positive feedback - in which we were really grateful). I got a few offers to do some stuff after Street Fighter was released but I wasn't close to satisfied. I wanted to show people what I was capable of when I spent GOOD time on a project. This time around I wanted to try my hand at an Anime Adaptation and for some unknown reason, you seem to have your mind made up as to what I plan on doing with it...


See, I've watched your stuff for almost a decade now (as crazy as that sounds), and I've watched you grow as a filmmaker in all of it and branch out further and further as you've honed and perfected your style- and yet, here we are again with a sort of 'test fight fanfilm' material. And I've gotta ask: Why???
1.) Perfected my style??? I haven't perfected shyte hah. It's damn near impossible to perfect anything when it comes to filmmaking because it's all trial and error - That never changes. And if you haven't realized that by now (in terms of being a filmmaker) you have ridiculous amount of growing up to do. In my opinion, I haven't scratched the surface in terms of the visuals I'm trying to create.

2.) "here we are again with a sort of 'test fight fanfilm' material"
Who said this was a test? I've been working solely on this project since the beginning of June. This is the first film we've extensively choreographed and rehearsed ahead of time. Not to mention storyboaring, shot lists and the whole nine. You think I've perfected my craft by shooting on the fly and making stuff up as we go along? Wow... I'm still only learning.

And so when I see you with four or five entries into the cinema and they're all some variation of test fight or fanfilm fight disguised as a 'movie'
Disguised as a movie...? *Sigh* They're only tests...

I know this may come as a shock - But I don't make movies for you. And who are you to tell any filmmaker to step away from what they feel passionate about just because you don't like it? Or because they bore you? That's super arrogant, man. You ask why I do it? It's because I love doing it. Reality is boring and limiting to me. So my goals are to create films that aren't directly based on the world we live in. Combine that with my love for choreography and martial arts and you have the reason for the type of films that you see from me. Keep in mind, I hardly owe you this explanation considering how you went about "asking" me.

Now I hope you don't think I'm behind this keyboard angry as all hell and slamming down on the keyboard to type. That's hardly the case. If anything I was humored this whole time due to how ridiculous your post to me was. All I can say to you is to keep working on your craft and I'll keep working on mine. I'm honestly very interested in seeing where it takes us (as well as all the other filmmakers on this site)! smile

And again...

Anyways, like I said, this piece is strictly meant for fans of the series
EDIT: And many thanks to everyone else for the positive feedback and support to our vids!! Even though our next short is intended for a specific audience, we hope to not let you down!

Last edited Sun, 1st Jan 2012, 8:11pm; edited 2 times in total.

Posted: Wed, 22nd Sep 2010, 5:26pm

Post 12 of 18

Atom

Force: 4300 | Joined: 9th May 2004 | Posts: 7014

EffectsLab Lite User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Rating: +1/-1

Well, go that way and be the assy poor sport. wink

I can't change that, I just wish I could see more. And that's all I'm sayin, really. I know you love that sort of stuff, and I know you're always trying to go further and slicker with it- I just think you're sort of selling yourself short by pigeonholing yourself strictly into these sorts of things which are, let's be honest, not really movies. More like fight scenes. Which is awesome, but don't mistake something for what it isn't, right?

And yes, your Street Fighter fanfilm is an extended fight scene disguised as a movie. I realize not everything you do is a 'test', just as I realize all your tests aren't actual movies- that's not what I'm saying. I'm saying it all feels very same-y, very played-out. And, really simply: I think you can go further with/do more stuff.

I don't know any better way of putting it. I know you don't make movies for me, just as I don't make movies for you- but that doesn't make what I say wrong or invalid; and I think it's an extreme ignorance (and kind of sad) just to write it off as:

'I don't make movies for you ha.'

Or something like that. Doesn't reflect well on you, sorry I'm the only one to be straight with ya about it thus far. I want to see more, man. That's all. And I guarantee you it's not just me. What I said wasn't 'ridiculous' at all, I hope you don't think what I'm saying as outlandish- because I don't think you'll grow as a filmmaker yourself if you continually think that. Stuff like this:
I wanted to show people what I was capable of when I spent GOOD time on a project. This time around I wanted to try my hand at an Anime Adaptation and for some unknown reason, you seem to have your mind made up as to what I plan on doing with it...
This is the kind of stuff I find ridiculous, because to me it's like- 'why?' Once again. You wanna prove yourself? Show your ability? Spending good, quality time on something? Then why push yourself into un-original content? I know it's fun- like I said I've dedicated HUGE amounts of time in the past to fanfilms of my own- but none I'd consider something to illustrate or prove myself by. Because, well, that just seems idiotic to me. I'd do something original. If not for my own satisfaction, then to show everyone else I could do it. So I guess that's just all I wish from you.

And it's not because of how I make movies, it's not because I like 'the real world' to work my movies into (newsflash, I don't), and it's not because 'that's what I think and believe'. No: It's because that's just how it is. Something original is, almost always, more apt to have credit given to it's creator (you, for instance) and more genuine credit given- than something that's fan work or copied/'lifted' from other material. I know you may not appreciate that, but I'm pretty sure that's a decently universal thought.

Just as I don't exactly appreciate your condescending little snippets and quips- although I suppose I should've seen those coming. wink

Likewise, don't think I am angrily pounding away at my keyboard. I'm not, I'm just letting ya know what I think- as always. I'm happy you've dedicated so much time and money to this project, and I am genuinely excited about it- I just wish it was something original, and something not centric to choreography. Because both of those....to me at least.....just seem sorta vacuous after a certain point.

But again, I still wish you the best of luck with it. I think you're extremely talented, and I genuinely want you to do well.
Posted: Wed, 22nd Sep 2010, 5:54pm

Post 13 of 18

Sollthar

Force: 13360 | Joined: 30th Oct 2001 | Posts: 6094

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 2 Pro User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User MacOS User

SuperUser

Rating: +1

Just wanted to say I entirely agree with atom on everything he's said. Which was what I meant above with expecting a story. So you're not the only one being straight atom. smile

On the other hand, I totally get where you're coming from CX3, love your passion for what you're doing and, like atom, completely respect you as a talented filmmaker and a great guy. In fact, I think you've made some excellent statements above.

See it as a deep compliment. Guess we're just both disappointed by the fact that this huge talent and potential goes into something that isn't for us. So in that way, the critique is indeed very egocentric. wink

I for one am probably the total opposite of your target audience, as I avoid anime, manga or other japanese movie or game forms like the plague.
But I've no doubt you have what it takes to deliver awesome cinema to the fans of the genre. I'll just feel left out and actually go hit my keyboard in despair just because nobody else is doing it. biggrin
Posted: Wed, 22nd Sep 2010, 6:24pm

Post 14 of 18

CX3

Force: 3137 | Joined: 1st Apr 2003 | Posts: 2527

EffectsLab Lite User VideoWrap User MacOS User FXhome Movie Maker

Gold Member

Rating: -1

"I know you don't make movies for me, just as I don't make movies for you- but that doesn't make what I say wrong or invalid"

Nahhh ha, I'd say it does smile. Everyone has different reasons behind their drive. You jumped into this thread with assumptions. You say you wanna see something bigger from us. Well this is the biggest most ambitious (and most expensive confused ) film I've ever tried to do in my life. All of my tests have been leading up to this project.

But then you go on to say that you wanna see something where fighting is pretty much not a main point. You're basically saying "I don't wanna see films that your passionate about" "Make something that I'll find more entertaining". So of course my response is that I don't make movies for you. If you don't like Anime, Action or Choreography. You'll hate this film when it comes out haha. But would that stop me from continuing doing what I'm doing? Hellllll no haha. If you're not making the type of films that you love to make, why the hell get into the business in the first place? That's a hell situation imo.

Atom wrote:

And yes, your Street Fighter fanfilm is an extended fight scene disguised as a movie. I realize not everything you do is a 'test', just as I realize all your tests aren't actual movies- that's not what I'm saying. I'm saying it all feels very same-y, very played-out. And, really simply: I think you can go further with/do more stuff.
Who cares what they're labeled as? I don't know if you feel like you're besting me by saying a short I've created is a movie or a test or whatever. I really don't understand the point of your first 2 sentences in that quote ha. Call them what you will. They are what they are. I just labeled Street Fighter as a fan film. I don't think I've ever once called it a Movie haha. When I make something over an hour in length, then I'll call it a movie.

The stuff that I label as tests are exactly that. They are small test fight clips that I put up on my youtube channel so my subscribers can check little things out while we're working on our big projects. If I didn't put out tests, 1.) I wouldn't be learning. 2.) The only thing my channel would have on it for this year is Street Fighter. That's not a good way to keep viewers...

Either way, I appreciate you looking out for me (if that's truly your intention - even though you go about wording it in a pretty poor way). But you need'st not worry about me. There's a method to madness and I do have a plan cool
Posted: Wed, 22nd Sep 2010, 6:44pm

Post 15 of 18

Atom

Force: 4300 | Joined: 9th May 2004 | Posts: 7014

EffectsLab Lite User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

I'd say thanks, but you've undercut or condescended basically everything I've said at the end of each of your sentences, whether you realized it or not. I surely do hope you take some of what I said as advice, and not just an attack on your ego or 'style'.

It's really off-putting, actually. But whatever man, do what you want. Just stop making so many damn excuses for what it is. You never used to do that, and that's all I've seen in your responses to my posts. unsure

And for the record- I do like Anime. I read comic books. And I really enjoy choreography. But I like those in the short films I watch, not as the sole/primary content.

I know you have a plan, and I'm excited to see it played out in action. But that doesn't mean you should ignore your 'ol buddies here or tell them they're wrong- we know some stuff, too! wink
Posted: Wed, 22nd Sep 2010, 6:59pm

Post 16 of 18

CX3

Force: 3137 | Joined: 1st Apr 2003 | Posts: 2527

EffectsLab Lite User VideoWrap User MacOS User FXhome Movie Maker

Gold Member

Sollthar wrote:

See it as a deep compliment. Guess we're just both disappointed by the fact that this huge talent and potential goes into something that isn't for us. So in that way, the critique is indeed very egocentric. wink
Now see this is worded in a great way! And I'm not talking about the "huge talent and potential" line (while I appreciate the compliment) I don't wanna make it sound like that's the reason why I think this post is worded great haha.

It's the "isn't for us" line that connects very well. Atom is a smart guy and has a hell of a vocab. I'd say he just needs to arrange his words differently in a way that doesn't come off as "assy" wink Basically it's less demeaning than saying "I expect more from you." Because that's a slap in the face.

Honestly, it all comes down to time. I don't have much of it. I work 5 days a week 9-7 and train (karate) 4 days a week (at night). So in my spare time I need to do what I enjoy - Even if only to stay sane! haha. Trust me I have a toooon of ideas that involve more in-depth stories. But do I have time do them? Nopes. My goal is to find representation and to direct a feature in the action genre.

It's all stepping stones. I can't make everything that I want to make at this point. But if I can make a career solely as a director, that will give me the opportunity to branch out and explore many of the other ideas that I have floating around in my head ha. The key to this plan is to ditch the 9-7 wink But damnit... I'm broke and I can't leave until I the dream opportunity arrives haha.

Don't worry. After this project, we have a new original series coming up. But that wouldn't be until Jan/March. Between then, I'm sorry to say but you'll be seeing more tests. I gotta keep training my eye unsure

Atom wrote:

Just stop making so many damn excuses for what it is. You never used to do that, and that's all I've seen in your responses to my posts. unsure
What excuses?? LOL damnit man, you make me feel like in the twilight zone when I'm talking to you. Seriously, what am I make excuses for in your eyes? I'm explaining to you why I do what I do. I don't feel I should have to excuse myself for anything (relating to the the stuff I like to shoot/edit) so I'm not seeing where you think I'm doing so?

awkfjh aweofhweolkcjwhlefc awkjahhhh!!!!! lol
Posted: Wed, 22nd Sep 2010, 8:04pm

Post 17 of 18

Atom

Force: 4300 | Joined: 9th May 2004 | Posts: 7014

EffectsLab Lite User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

So if something isn't worded as a positive compliment, I suppose it's all just people misunderstanding you or not getting the point, then? wink

I do expect more from you. And I think it'd be a much larger insult not to tell you straight-up, because I've known you for a long time now and it'll do you no good if I just throw positive surface comments I don't believe at you all day.

That being said, I don't think I've been particularly demeaning, either. With your responses, like I said, I've actually been a little off-put, as it seems (to me) you're somewhat bruised or minorly upset by what I've said. So here, let me try and clarify:

I mean to say that responding with '95% of the stuff I watch isn't movies and doesn't come from the US' or 'well, I like doing this instead' or 'I enjoy so-and-so' is all well and great, but me asking you/wanting you to do something original isn't an insult to that- and it isn't me not getting what you're saying- so when you respond with 'well choreography and anime is what I like to do best', that can be seen as a guard or excuse for not doing more; as I myself often get called on.

And in all honesty, it is.

Why did you tell me you don't watch American cinema? Because you're trying validate your work; why you make it. Which is absolutely fine! Just be honest about it. It's an excuse to some degree. Even talking about time, where I know you're busy and absolutely believe you, seems more like a guard to me than anything else. It's something I can absolutely sympathize with- and the primary reason I do the 24 and 48 hour competitions I do- but if I get called on it, I really can't deny it. So when I even read something moderate like this:

CX3 wrote:

But do I have time do them? Nopes.
It just seems like a lame excuse for not doing something original to me. Even if I know it's absolutely valid and true.

Look, people will tell me things and I'll respond 'well, I like boom noises and voiceovers and starting at the end best, it's what is most enjoyable to me to create' (which is true), but that doesn't mean that people don't have a point, or that I shouldn't listen to them- or (most of all) that I'm not actually also somewhat excusing myself. Those things may be the most fun to do, and obviously you should always do what you like best, but that isn't an excuse for not branching out. Which isn't to say you aren't, just that I see some of your responses as a bruised ego trying to excuse (what could perhaps be seen as) a shortcoming in your recent work.

I'm not trying to beat ya down here, I just genuinely want you to understand what I'm saying- because the somewhat haughty nature of your responses seems to indicate to me you don't quite 'get it'.

Plus, you used the 'that/those were just a test!' defense at one point here. I mean, come on. We all know that's the lamest excuse and response in the FXHome Cinema history book. Because the immediate rebuttal is 'why put it up/work on it in the first place?' wink

Well, you've given your reasons for that, so don't seem so perplexed/confused/snippy when I respond to ya. biggrin

The reason I'd figure you put these things on here, the reason we all do is to receive comments and spark discussion that will help us grow as filmmakers and offer insight into how we can mend our mistakes or shortcomings- that's all I'm trying to do here, buddy. smile
Posted: Thu, 23rd Sep 2010, 5:47am

Post 18 of 18

CX3

Force: 3137 | Joined: 1st Apr 2003 | Posts: 2527

EffectsLab Lite User VideoWrap User MacOS User FXhome Movie Maker

Gold Member

Rating: -2

Alrighty. Thank you Dr. Phil smile