You are viewing an archive of the old fxhome.com forums. The community has since moved to hitfilm.com.

Movie Trailer Challenge shortlist - VOTE NOW!

Posted: Tue, 9th Nov 2010, 12:00pm

Post 1 of 56

Simon K Jones

Force: 27955 | Joined: 1st Jan 2002 | Posts: 11683

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 5 Pro User MuzzlePlug User PowerPlug User PhotoKey 3 Plug-in User FXhome Movie Maker FXpreset Maker Windows User

FXhome Team Member

The Movie Trailer Challenge shortlist has been announced!


CLICK HERE TO VOTE FOR THE WINNER!

Posted: Tue, 9th Nov 2010, 12:11pm

Post 2 of 56

Avenging Eagle

Force: 765 | Joined: 9th Apr 2005 | Posts: 375

CompositeLab Pro User EffectsLab Lite User FXhome Movie Maker

Gold Member

Rating: -3

Are you kidding me?

...well I just wasted a month of my life...

AE
Posted: Tue, 9th Nov 2010, 12:27pm

Post 3 of 56

Simon K Jones

Force: 27955 | Joined: 1st Jan 2002 | Posts: 11683

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 5 Pro User MuzzlePlug User PowerPlug User PhotoKey 3 Plug-in User FXhome Movie Maker FXpreset Maker Windows User

FXhome Team Member

Deciding the shortlist was a tough call for this competition. With 180 movies submitted we had a lot of trailers to go through and there were a lot of high quality submissions.

While the shortlist for the ultimate prize has been announced I also wanted to personally acknowledge a few of the other entries that seriously impressed me and were very close to making the shortlist:

Splinter Cell Conviction: Superb recreation of the Splinter Cell mood and style.

Escape Velocity: Great to see this concept return after the awesome 2-minute glimpse we saw a few years back. Hopefully this will be turned into a full feature one of these days!

Einstein's God Model: This has a shot of exploding eyes. For this, I love it.

When Worlds Collide: Ambitious concept with some iconic and innovative shots.

A Grim Fury: Unique and haunting style with some wonderful locations and an intriguing concept.

In Spades: Some great cinematography and a fun concept. We'd definitely like to see more!

The Girl With Two Masks: Fascinating concept and the second half in particular really takes off.

Gud har en plan för Dig: Nicely shot and the second half has some brilliantly harrowing horror cinematography and editing.

As always, we were hugely impressed with the response to the competition and were excited that so many people got involved. So a big, big thank you to everyone that put the time into creating their entries.

I highly recommend clicking this link to check out ALL the entries, as there's a wealth of creative ingenuity at work: http://www.youtube.com/video_response_view_all?v=DuYO4kl-iB8

Last edited Tue, 9th Nov 2010, 1:19pm; edited 1 times in total.

Posted: Tue, 9th Nov 2010, 12:51pm

Post 4 of 56

Simon K Jones

Force: 27955 | Joined: 1st Jan 2002 | Posts: 11683

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 5 Pro User MuzzlePlug User PowerPlug User PhotoKey 3 Plug-in User FXhome Movie Maker FXpreset Maker Windows User

FXhome Team Member

Apologies for the double-post...

Avenging Eagle wrote:

Are you kidding me?

...well I just wasted a month of my life...

AE
I'm sorry you feel that way. The nature of the competition right from the start was clear, though: there would be a judge's shortlist and then a single winner by public vote.

At the end of the day you've created another awesome movie and have explored an idea that's evidently important to you. As a filmmaker you succeeded, regardless of the outcome of the competition.
Posted: Tue, 9th Nov 2010, 1:18pm

Post 5 of 56

2xZProductions

Force: 674 | Joined: 27th Mar 2010 | Posts: 196

EffectsLab Pro User FXpreset Maker

Gold Member

Haha, I didn't even make a high quality submission...

Well maybe next time... sad

And just a question Tarn, I was wondering how I could have improved my submission : The Witch.
I didn't know if I did something wrong, if the topic didn't interest you, or it wasn't realistic.

If there was something I could have improved upon, and you could let me know, that would be cool!

Last edited Tue, 9th Nov 2010, 1:33pm; edited 1 times in total.

Posted: Tue, 9th Nov 2010, 1:21pm

Post 6 of 56

Avenging Eagle

Force: 765 | Joined: 9th Apr 2005 | Posts: 375

CompositeLab Pro User EffectsLab Lite User FXhome Movie Maker

Gold Member

I'm sorry I feel this way too. I guess it's just because I'm passionate about my projects; hey, if I wasn't, I might never have finished 'Roulette'.

I had/have no issues with the competition rules, except perhaps for the lack of some. I knew there would be a shortlist and only one winner. At first I felt you should have narrowed your rules slightly to only allow entries made within the month that the competition ran. I saw someone put up a trailer for a LOTR fan film that was no way done in a month. However, the shortlist entries look like they were done in a month, so you've obviously kept that in mind while selected. Thanks.

My issue is with the selection itself. Firstly, let me start by congratulating rogolo and Bryce007 for winning the contest. Premature I know, but to my mind their's was the only entry from the shortlist that deserves to win. I'm not going to bitch about the other shortlisted trailers, some were good, some were not so good. My complaining won't make any difference. I do agree with you, Tarn, that 'A Grim Fury' probably deserved to be up there. 'In Spades' too was also very nice, though since it was already shot on a DSLR, I don't think it quite 'deserves' a shortlist place.

As for me, I don't want to come over all arrogant, I know my trailer has flaws. The sound isn't great, some of the effects are hastily done and the cinematography isn't to my usual standard. But allow me to be temporarily pissed off that I spent a month disecting real trailers, formulating, filming and working on effects shots that make up 3/4 of my trailer...for nothing. I'm now a month behind with my university work and will finish the year with no new equipment. I might just as well have posted the 'Roulette' trailer on October 2nd and been done with it. Immature I know, but I'm only human.

I look forward to seeing Bryce007 and rogolo crowned 'winners' in a few days time.

AE
Posted: Tue, 9th Nov 2010, 1:33pm

Post 7 of 56

Amentahj

Force: 900 | Joined: 17th Oct 2007 | Posts: 15

CompositeLab Pro User EffectsLab Pro User PhotoKey Lite User FXhome Movie Maker

Gold Member

im pissed!!!!! of the 5 were 2 really good ones(no names mentioned) but there were "awsome trailers out there that should of made it, and im not even talking about my own" i want to know what "formula" u guys used b/c i totally disagree. i noticed nothing "animated" really made it to the end......fx u guys are going to piss a lot of your followers off. now that i got that off im going to vote........
Posted: Tue, 9th Nov 2010, 1:36pm

Post 8 of 56

DVStudio

Force: 4983 | Joined: 22nd Nov 2007 | Posts: 1845

CompositeLab Pro User EffectsLab Pro User PhotoKey 4 User FXpreset Maker FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Wow is this a joke? I'm with AE with being a bit disappointed.

I know the sound in mine was messed up, and I know there was one or two effects that weren't perfect but those finalists didn't seem to be the best. By any means, except for Rogolo's. You see, mine was edited in just 2 or 3 hours, which is a pretty short time, and I just thought it was a bit better than some of the shortlist ones.

I'm not saying mine was winning material, but almost all of the ones that won were not either in my opinion.

Last edited Thu, 11th Nov 2010, 4:14am; edited 2 times in total.

Posted: Tue, 9th Nov 2010, 2:02pm

Post 9 of 56

2xZProductions

Force: 674 | Joined: 27th Mar 2010 | Posts: 196

EffectsLab Pro User FXpreset Maker

Gold Member

Ok, guys...

I think it's time to stop saying how bad some of the other trailers were. FxHome and TubeTape picked the ones they liked best. After examining them, they weren't all "production" quality, but they were all good. Cutter Vendetta had some really nice shots, and was pretty funny. The Hulu Hoop one had a lot of comedy, and I thought it was rather funny. Sam V the World was funny, with some pretty cool effects that where pretty funny. The other two were good as well with some original concepts and some good shots and angles.

I think it best that we give them props for their work, and remember, its an artistic competition. There are going to be different views, and different ideas as to which ones were the best.
Thank you.

Respectfully,
-2xZPro
Posted: Tue, 9th Nov 2010, 2:02pm

Post 10 of 56

Joshua Davies

Force: 25400 | Joined: 21st Mar 2001 | Posts: 3029

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 5 Pro User MuzzlePlug User PowerPlug User PhotoKey 3 Plug-in User FXpreset Maker Windows User MacOS User

FXhome Team Member

Why are some people so angry? eek

Would you honestly have us change the rules at the very last minute so you could vote on all 180 movies? It would have never worked! The judges have tried very hard to be objective when it comes to selecting these finalists. Please respect the decisions they have made - its hardly an easy job with so many submissions.

Sorry if your movie hasn't made the final but I'm sure there will be many other chances in the future where we, along with our friends at TubeTape, will be offering great prizes. smile
Posted: Tue, 9th Nov 2010, 2:33pm

Post 11 of 56

Amentahj

Force: 900 | Joined: 17th Oct 2007 | Posts: 15

CompositeLab Pro User EffectsLab Pro User PhotoKey Lite User FXhome Movie Maker

Gold Member

i think what people are upset about is the final list from the vast amount of great videos submitted. yes people have their own view of whats good or bad but people do have a good sense of whats good or bad too.like i said earlier i cannot deny 2 of the 3 finalist being there, i just would have been more at ease with not denying 5 of the 5 that were there, but again thats MY PERSONAL OPINION and im entitled to it and i dont think that makes me angry.
Posted: Tue, 9th Nov 2010, 2:35pm

Post 12 of 56

Joshua Davies

Force: 25400 | Joined: 21st Mar 2001 | Posts: 3029

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 5 Pro User MuzzlePlug User PowerPlug User PhotoKey 3 Plug-in User FXpreset Maker Windows User MacOS User

FXhome Team Member

Fair enough, I did say SOME people, but also starting your post "im pissed!!!!" does suggest you're rather angry to anyone reading it.

Please lets get back on topic about who is voting for what. smile
Posted: Tue, 9th Nov 2010, 2:40pm

Post 13 of 56

Simon K Jones

Force: 27955 | Joined: 1st Jan 2002 | Posts: 11683

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 5 Pro User MuzzlePlug User PowerPlug User PhotoKey 3 Plug-in User FXhome Movie Maker FXpreset Maker Windows User

FXhome Team Member

2xZProductions wrote:

And just a question Tarn, I was wondering how I could have improved my submission : The Witch.
I didn't know if I did something wrong, if the topic didn't interest you, or it wasn't realistic.
I'll re-watch it and get you some feedback, 2xZ!
Posted: Tue, 9th Nov 2010, 2:50pm

Post 14 of 56

Amentahj

Force: 900 | Joined: 17th Oct 2007 | Posts: 15

CompositeLab Pro User EffectsLab Pro User PhotoKey Lite User FXhome Movie Maker

Gold Member

I agree, it was a wonderful opportunity....thnx guys!
Posted: Tue, 9th Nov 2010, 3:00pm

Post 15 of 56

Avenging Eagle

Force: 765 | Joined: 9th Apr 2005 | Posts: 375

CompositeLab Pro User EffectsLab Lite User FXhome Movie Maker

Gold Member

While I can't really condone what Amentahj said, it's nice to know I am not alone.

As I said, I had no problem with the idea of a shortlist, in fact it was the best way to do this. No one was going to watch 180 entries. I commend you fxhome for doing this. I also don't think getting feedback on every entry is reasonable, so I wasn't going to ask for it.

My issue was with SOME of the actual shortlisted entries which, in my opinion (which I'm not saying counts for anything), do not deserve to be there when you consider that certain other entries, in my opinion, should be.

Can I ask what criteria you marked them by?

I tried to tailor my trailer to look and feel like a Hollywood-Summer-Blockbuster trailer. Fxhome and Tubetape are both effects-oriented websites, so I made a trailer with effects (using both fxhome products and After Effects). In fact, 30 of the 39 shots in the trailer had a visual effect of some sort. I even chose to shoot it on Standard Def because I thought it would say 'hey, if this is what I can do with an old camera, imagine what I'll be able to do with a DSLR'. I used trailer-style music and tried to hint at the story, but not give it away. Many other submitted trailers share these traits. But what were you guys (fxhome/tubetape) actually looking for? I hope the shortlist was decided objectively, and not subjectively.

AE
Posted: Tue, 9th Nov 2010, 3:10pm

Post 16 of 56

DVStudio

Force: 4983 | Joined: 22nd Nov 2007 | Posts: 1845

CompositeLab Pro User EffectsLab Pro User PhotoKey 4 User FXpreset Maker FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Rating: +1

Yeah, schwar, don't get me wrong, I respect the opinions of the judges and I understand that mine might be conflicting. I'm not an idiot. I get that. I don't agree with them, but that's not the problem.

My problem is basically what AE has said. How were the finalists decided? In my opinion, the best cinematography wasn't the reason nor was the best story. I could have thrown random effects on screen (cough) and called it a trailer, but I chose to put some of the story out there, shoot with a great camera, and added grading and effects when needed. I even went the extra mile, used a police car, used real props, etc. The audio was crap, I know, but the rest of it was okay I think. So, what was the selection based on or how was it calculated?

I hope it didn't come off as angry, just a bit disappointed and a little baffled. Tarn, if there's anything specific I could have fixed besides the audio, could you shoot me a PM when you have time? Thanks.
Posted: Tue, 9th Nov 2010, 3:13pm

Post 17 of 56

2xZProductions

Force: 674 | Joined: 27th Mar 2010 | Posts: 196

EffectsLab Pro User FXpreset Maker

Gold Member

Rating: +1

Thanks Tarn. I don't care as much about being in the shortlist, I hadn't ever entered a contest for this type of thing, and went in trying hard and expecting not being qualified for the shortlist.

Thanks for re-watching mine, hope for the feedback! (be brutally honest wink )

Avenging Eagle -- The shortlist is the shortlist, the entries are selected because of their own reasons...

Respectfully,
-2xZPro
Posted: Tue, 9th Nov 2010, 3:25pm

Post 18 of 56

danielgwood

Force: 5650 | Joined: 7th Jun 2010 | Posts: 224

VisionLab User PhotoKey 5 Pro User Windows User MacOS User

FXhome Team Member

Rating: +1

I can't pretend to have watched every trailer submitted (I think so far I've watched 15 or so, will watch some of the others later). I am not an expert in film (not even close!), but of those I've watched, I enjoyed the trailers which had/were:

  • Made references to other works
  • Did something original
  • Funny or engaging (this means that I am more likely to watch the whole clip - bearing in mind my limited attention span smile)

So the Hula Film, whilst obviously quite ridiculous, ticked a few boxes for me. I think there was some brief mention of how it had been compiled from clips shot by entirely different people who had never met? That's quite an ambitious thing to do, IMO. It was also riotously funny.

Cutter's Revenge parodied The Bay excellently, again very funny. I'd definitely watch that film, and its inevitable somehow-less-realistic sequel smile

Sam vs the World looked like the creators had a blast making it. I don't know how it compared to Scott Pilgrim, having not seen that, but it looked like a good laugh.

In terms of quality I have very little idea what makes for a good/well-composed shot, or editing. For people with no knowledge of that, like me, sound quality, slightly jarring effects and green-screen lighting issues are much more noticeable. That's not aimed at any submission, but to give you the point of view of someone cinematographically-challenged.

As a voter (not shortlist), my criteria reflected those mentioned in the original announcement:
What we’re looking for are effective trailers: they need to make us want to see the full movie.
Posted: Tue, 9th Nov 2010, 3:31pm

Post 19 of 56

Redhawksrymmer

Force: 18442 | Joined: 19th Aug 2002 | Posts: 2620

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 3 Pro User MuzzlePlug User PowerPlug User PhotoKey 3 Plug-in User FXhome Movie Maker FXpreset Maker Windows User MacOS User

SuperUser

Rating: +2

The biggest reward for me personally was the contest itself to be honest. I literally crawled through the dirt for my trailer which I shot with my girlfriend during a few free weekends. I thought it was really fun to work under the constrictions imposed, was really a few steps from what I have been working on the past year. It was also the first short I shot all in Swedish for quite some time. While I do agree it'd been nice to enter the shortlist or win the competition it wasn't related at all to why I shot the film.

If you just shot a trailer or a short film just to win the competition and pretty much counted on winning, I'm obliged to say you're doing it wrong, as I think you've learned a lot, as you do any time you're shooting a film. Planning to submit an updated version of my trailer in a few days to the Cinema, and it'll be fun to see what you guys think of it more in detail. Congrats to those who got nominated, will try to rewatch all the entries probably later today and post some small reviews on YouTube. smile

Currently in school, but will update this when I get home!

Last edited Tue, 9th Nov 2010, 3:33pm; edited 1 times in total.

Posted: Tue, 9th Nov 2010, 3:32pm

Post 20 of 56

Biblmac

Force: 852 | Joined: 12th Jun 2007 | Posts: 1513

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User

Gold Member

Rating: +1

I too would like to see the criteria (I'm not angry or anything, just curious). I personally have no complaint as to the shortlist. I maybe would have liked to see a handful of different entries on there but I'm not a shortlist judge, so it isn't my opinion that counts. The judges made the decision they did because they felt these fit the criteria best. I don't know, I feel arguing over opinions isn't going to really solve anything, ya know? Let's all agree to disagree.

EDIT:
I just read what was said as I was typing my post, and I wanted to say that I completely agree with Redhawksrymmer when he said:

redhawksrymmer wrote:

If you just shot a trailer or a short film just to win the competition and pretty much counted on winning, I'm obliged to say you're doing it wrong
Posted: Tue, 9th Nov 2010, 3:48pm

Post 21 of 56

ben3308

Force: 5210 | Joined: 24th May 2004 | Posts: 6433

VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Rating: +3

Avenging Eagle wrote:

so I made a trailer with effects (using both fxhome products and After Effects). In fact, 30 of the 39 shots in the trailer had a visual effect of some sort.
This may be where you lost yourself. There's a syllogism where 'lots of effects' doesn't necessarily mean 'lots of quality'. In many cases, and in the case of perhaps some of your trailer, the overabundance of the effects pulls down the cinematic quality of your trailer.

That being said, there's also no reason to get all mad because you didn't get shortlisted. We've certainly been there before - but at the end of the day, just getting pissed off only abuses the good graces of the people who put on the contest. It's a contest, and it's theirs. They get to decide the rules and the terms, and you get to live with them. Trust me, I've certainly been in contests where I thought my own films far outshined the ones that won; but I didn't voice this at all with the people who ran the contest - that'd be unfathomably rude!

I dunno, just keep yourselves in check - do you think your video was better than The Cutter Vendetta? A large reason we didn't submit our video isn't because it wasn't done; we could've easily released it, and, doubtless, it probably would've been shortlisted. We didn't submit it to the contest because with the small bits that we were 'lacking', we saw that the only reason to submit before polishing the trailer would be if we could legitimately win the contest. Having kept in some contact with Bryce and rogolo and known of their project, we made the call to not submit anything before we were satisfied with our trailer, therein excluding ourselves from the contest.

Honestly, it's sobering to know when you've been outdone, and The Cutter Vendetta certainly outdid ours, and many others at the time everything was due. And since there's only one winner, I think the other contenders, though listed, probably aren't going to win against it. And that's just the way things are. biggrin

EDIT:

Also, I'll link you to some words regarding 'winning', from something I actually created years ago - for a contest (and lost, wouldn't you know it!) - but something that I enjoyed making and still enjoy watching for my own benefit. Maybe it's because almost every film I do is for some sort of contest - but I would never consider anything I've put my time into a 'waste'. Quite the opposite, in fact....
Posted: Tue, 9th Nov 2010, 5:00pm

Post 22 of 56

StupidLikeAFox

Force: 1075 | Joined: 7th Jun 2008 | Posts: 235

VisionLab User

Gold Member

Fair enough that you guys are "pissed off" but results are results, you cant change what has happened.

The whole process of creating or working on a project such as this is for fun and to learn from what you have made.

Well done to the final contestants, especially "The Cutter Vendetta" you got my vote.

-Callum
Posted: Tue, 9th Nov 2010, 6:09pm

Post 23 of 56

Aculag

Force: 8365 | Joined: 21st Jun 2002 | Posts: 8581

EffectsLab Lite User VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

Rating: +1/-2

StupidLikeAFox wrote:

Fair enough that you guys are "pissed off" but results are results, you cant change what has happened.
No, it's not fair for people to be pissed off. That's the "Atom Entitlement Complex (tm)" wearing off on folks. It's a competition, people. There are winners, and there are losers. Don't be a sore loser.

The shortlist has an interesting mix, so I applaud it. Based on the original criteria, that it has to make us want to see the movie, there's only one clear winner for me, and it's not The Cutter Vendetta, which seems to be the popular choice. That one was really well shot, and somewhat comical, but it didn't make me want to watch that movie. I don't like that kind of movie. It's funny for a trailer, but I think an entire film of that would get old fast. Hula Hoop was hysterical, and well acted (at least for the style), and I would probably watch that because of how ridiculous the premise is. Danny's Friends was thoughtful and original, but I didn't particularly like the kid's acting. Sam Vs The World... I honestly didn't even finish watching. It's the only one on the list that I thought "I expected better than this."

Side Effect, on the other hand, gave the the kind of feeling I got from watching the Inception trailer. It was engaging, well acted, well shot. Yeah, it had some missteps, but out of all of the finalists, that's the one that gets my vote, because I actually want to see it.

Good luck to the finalists!
Posted: Tue, 9th Nov 2010, 6:13pm

Post 24 of 56

StupidLikeAFox

Force: 1075 | Joined: 7th Jun 2008 | Posts: 235

VisionLab User

Gold Member

Aculag wrote:

StupidLikeAFox wrote:

Fair enough that you guys are "pissed off" but results are results, you cant change what has happened.
No, it's not fair for people to be pissed off. That's the "Atom Entitlement Complex (tm)" wearing off on folks. It's a competition, people. There are winners, and there are losers. Don't be a sore loser.
It is completely fair, these guys put in a lot of work and maybe pissed off is not the right word but it would be upsetting or annoying not to make the shortlist, its human nature. Its not about being a sore loser its about wanting to see that your work has done well!
Posted: Tue, 9th Nov 2010, 6:20pm

Post 25 of 56

Aculag

Force: 8365 | Joined: 21st Jun 2002 | Posts: 8581

EffectsLab Lite User VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

Rating: -1

StupidLikeAFox wrote:

It is completely fair, these guys put in a lot of work and maybe pissed off is not the right word but it would be upsetting or annoying not to make the shortlist, its human nature. Its not about being a sore loser its about wanting to see that your work has done well!
Understood, but you must admit it's fairly childish for the first response in the thread to be "Are you kidding me? ...well I just wasted a month of my life...", as if Tarn told Avenging Eagle a month ago, "hey, enter this contest! You're a shoo-in!" When you enter a competition, you should not expect to win, or you're setting yourself up for failure.

If you want to feel good about your accomplishments, you show your film off in the cinema and have people post varying things about it. If you submit it into a contest to gauge its worth, you're going to get one of two outcomes. Win or lose. People must realize that when entering a public contest, your chances of winning are always low, no matter the quality of the entry. There's very little chance for a positive outcome when there can only be one winner.

Last edited Tue, 9th Nov 2010, 6:26pm; edited 2 times in total.

Posted: Tue, 9th Nov 2010, 6:22pm

Post 26 of 56

Sollthar

Force: 13360 | Joined: 30th Oct 2001 | Posts: 6094

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 2 Pro User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User MacOS User

SuperUser

Rating: +1

Having watched a couple of the entries now, I personally can't quite understand how those films made it into the final shortlist against sometimes vastly superior competition and can somewhat understand the slight wtf-effect some people have. Sorry. No insult intended to the selected videos. But I'd lie if said anything different.

Anyways, opinions differ and judges are always right. smile

I wish all of the selected finalists good luck and hope the winner enjoys the prizes!

Good luck all!
Posted: Tue, 9th Nov 2010, 6:25pm

Post 27 of 56

Atom

Force: 4300 | Joined: 9th May 2004 | Posts: 7014

EffectsLab Lite User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Rating: +1

Don't be a jackass negatively bringing my name into something I've yet to even speak in, Aculag. I worked on an entry very hard, and when I knew it wasn't ready, I had no problem pulling it from being a video response at the last minute- happy for everyone else. I've lost (and won!) many video things as a gracious and good sport, so arbitrarily bring in someone else next time you want to be a premature douche.

I can understand why people could be frustrated, but I absolutely don't condone such poor, poor sportsmanship. Come on, guys, that's ridiculous.

I thought from the get-go The Cutter Vendetta should win, so no problem there- but hey, it's all ultimately still the perogative of the judges, and you can't so coldly, openly knock that. AE, for instance, I didn't think your trailer was the great in all honesty. Not for lack of trying or execution- but everything on a greenscreen just felt to me....slightly uninspired. So I understand if you're upset by the shortlist, if you're pussed because of the results for other entries you saw. But don't be a poor sport directly about your trailer, because it itself still wasn't without it's flaws, and you know that. Maybe the other entries aren't either, but you're accountable for you, and when you're bitching about the finalists, if you're doing it purely on the back of the thought that you should've made the cut- well, accept that sometimes we all just lose, and almost always it's never for a lack of trying. Other times are timing or work is unfortunate, but again that's something you've just got to get over.

You don't think I was upset a little that the moment after I came out with a parody trailer I put some of my best work into a contest here comes about for the same thing, like I just barely missed it? Something that I really inherently couldn't (or perhaps maybe more of 'shouldn't') change? Yeah, a little bit.

But contests are contests, and they're made- at the end of the day- purely in the spirit of fun.

There was no entry fee, no hold on the prizes or strict stipulations- just an open invitation to win cool free stuff and participate in something fun. That's awesome, guys. We haven't done one of these since the big videowrap contest- which I myself felt pretty confident I was going to win- but when I didn't, I didn't care. Because I had a great time making it, fun watching the entries, and just overall love the excitement of contests. Same reason we do the 24hrs. And you all should, too.

It's not about winning, but finishing. And proving that you put in the work to be part of something. Be proud of that.

Good luck to the shortlist finalists- and congratulations on getting this far!

Last edited Tue, 9th Nov 2010, 6:34pm; edited 1 times in total.

Posted: Tue, 9th Nov 2010, 6:28pm

Post 28 of 56

Garrison

Force: 5404 | Joined: 9th Mar 2006 | Posts: 1530

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 2 Pro User MuzzlePlug User PowerPlug User PhotoKey 3 Plug-in User FXhome Movie Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

I'm in agreement with Aculag. My understanding that was clearly stated in fxhome's YouTube video was to make a trailer that makes them want to see the movie.

So by default, it's subjective. My tastes vary from others, so it stands to reason that some of the choices would/may make you think "What the hell?!???"

If you were not willing to risk time and/or money with the possibility of losing, then IMO, you've set yourself up to fail. Considering that this competition was open worldwide, I'd be surprised if our entry made the list.

Regardless - best of luck to the shortlist entrants!
Posted: Tue, 9th Nov 2010, 6:29pm

Post 29 of 56

StupidLikeAFox

Force: 1075 | Joined: 7th Jun 2008 | Posts: 235

VisionLab User

Gold Member

Aculag - Yes I agree what you said about being slightly childish!
Posted: Tue, 9th Nov 2010, 6:30pm

Post 30 of 56

Aculag

Force: 8365 | Joined: 21st Jun 2002 | Posts: 8581

EffectsLab Lite User VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

Rating: +1/-1

Atom wrote:

Don't be a jackass negatively bringing my name into something I've yet to even speak in, Aculag. I worked on an entry very hard, and when I knew it wasn't ready, I had no problem pulling it from being a video response at the last minute- happy for everyone else. I've lost (and won!) many video things as a gracious and good sport, so arbitrarily bring in someone else next time you want to be a premature douche.
Right. You had no problem pulling it ahead of time, but had it been entered, and not won, you would be acting the same as Avenging Eagle and the like, just like you always do. You'd hide behind the veneer of "sportsmanship", talking about how it's all about the experience. But with some heavy handed, passive agressive closing line, just so we all know that you're secretly seething because you didn't win. wink

Ps. My douching is never premature, but always right on time. And let me prematurely predict one or two -1s on this post as well. wink
Edit: Another accurate prediction! How does he do it, folks?
Posted: Tue, 9th Nov 2010, 6:41pm

Post 31 of 56

Atom

Force: 4300 | Joined: 9th May 2004 | Posts: 7014

EffectsLab Lite User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Jesus man, learn some goddamn manners. You're pulling everything you're saying from conjecture and an assumption of what you think will happen- and I don't like it one bit.

I'm trying to offer some of my sincerity to this discussion- if you want to tool around, not contributing anything, entering in the contest, or making any effort to try and help- well, I'd suggest you just leave. I can't make you do this, obviously, but there's no need for such snarky animosity. You don't know me, you can't tell me how I would've acted- but I can tell you this:

I'd never just arbitrarily, openly insult someone entirely on the backs of what I 'thought they'd probably might say'. Like, are you serious? Why? Why do you do this? I had/have nothing against you or anyone else here presently in this thread, I've no negativity to put on the contest.

Secretly seething because I didn't win? Duh, doesn't everybody do that to some extent? Feel the sorrow of loss and the pain of watching someone else win, especially when you feel more deserving? But you keep that stuff civil, guarded- because that's the decent thing to do. But it would be ridiculous to assume everyone just immediately concedes defeat and thinks they've clearly been bested. No, more often than not people are confused as to why they lost over someone else, but that doesn't change the fact that they can still accept it and be respectful of the winner and judges- in any contest. That's life, man. No hidden deep-rooted passive aggressiveness of unearthed 'truth' there. smile

If you want to answer, please PM me. I don't want your comments and animosity for me- outta the blue- to muck up any more of this thread...

Last edited Tue, 9th Nov 2010, 6:48pm; edited 1 times in total.

Posted: Tue, 9th Nov 2010, 6:47pm

Post 32 of 56

Aculag

Force: 8365 | Joined: 21st Jun 2002 | Posts: 8581

EffectsLab Lite User VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

I calls em like I sees em.
Posted: Tue, 9th Nov 2010, 6:49pm

Post 33 of 56

Atom

Force: 4300 | Joined: 9th May 2004 | Posts: 7014

EffectsLab Lite User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Which is, apparently, also foresight into the future. wink
Posted: Tue, 9th Nov 2010, 6:55pm

Post 34 of 56

Avenging Eagle

Force: 765 | Joined: 9th Apr 2005 | Posts: 375

CompositeLab Pro User EffectsLab Lite User FXhome Movie Maker

Gold Member

Wow I guess I really Molotov'd this thread. That's a shame because it makes the chances of a competition like this less likely in the future.

Don't get me wrong, I had great fun doing this. I didn't just enter because I wanted to win, though I'd be lying if I said I didn't try to jump through a few hoops to win favour with the judges, but that's what making something for a breif entails. My trailer was my first ever to feature professional lights (3 portable red heads and some CTB). It was my first proper green screen shoot. It was a chance to return to, as Tarn said, an interesting concept and really get things straightened out in my head for the full 'Escape Velocity' film. I loved it! I feel in love with it.

I did the best I could with what I had, which wasn't much. I didn't have any crew, or any transport, or any free time. Hell, for one of the shoots, I didn't even have the lights thanks to a booking mistake. To go through all that I come up with what I did was a great learning experience and I thank fxhome for it. But to get to the end I find I have been trumped by entries that...

Whatever, I've typed that already, you know my view. I'll admit my first comment was...unneccessary, though I wouldn't say childish. I just care, that's all. StupidLikeAFox put it well, "It's just human nature". I'm sure in a weeks time, I'll look back on this contest and be more proud of the fact that I entered something at all than that I didn't get through. But allow me to voice my concerns, queries and criticisms for now; that's the fastest way I'll get over it.

While I do apologise for starting a minor bush fire, I do appear to have raised some interesting questions about how these competitions are run and, thankfully, I'm not alone in my bafflement. As I said, the shortlist has been selected, no amount of moaning, whining or swearing will change that. But it might just have an affect on how subsequent competitions are run.

Lastly, I think Aculag, you were a bit out of line. Although I have to admit, "entitlement complex (tm)" might have got the better of me when I first watched the entries, so your point was valid, and probably true. I don't think dragging other members was a nice thing to do.

I hope now to douse the flames of this flame-war. Apologies for being a passionate, hot-blooded teenager, I know it can sometimes get the better of me.

AE
Posted: Tue, 9th Nov 2010, 6:55pm

Post 35 of 56

Aculag

Force: 8365 | Joined: 21st Jun 2002 | Posts: 8581

EffectsLab Lite User VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

Atom wrote:

Which is, apparently, also foresight into the future. wink
Look, man, I used your name as an example, because when "contests" and "sore losers" come to mind, "Atom" comes to mind. It's not because I'm hunting you down and seek out every moment I can think of to attack you, it's because in the past, you have been a sore loser. You can't deny that.

I apologize for being a dick in my last post, but I really didn't mean that as an insult. I am caricaturing your character to prove a point about the fact that people are acting like assholes in response to the contest results. I didn't have to do that, nor did I have to "call you out" in my first post, but I didn't feel that post was doing anything more than quoting an example. Yeah, I use my sarcasm and "attitude" liberally, and I often say things without giving a damn about the consequences, but I didn't mean to cause a shitstorm. Sorry.

I'd say something like "stop being so damn sensitive" but it would probably just make things worse. wink

OH NO I DID IT AGAIN. I CAN'T STOP SEEING THE FUTURE IN HYPOTHETICAL TERMS!!!!

Avenging Eagle wrote:

Lastly, I think Aculag, you were a bit out of line.
Of course you do. And I think you were way out of line with your first post. So we're even. smile Apparently out of line is kinda my MO lately...
Posted: Tue, 9th Nov 2010, 7:22pm

Post 36 of 56

CX3

Force: 3137 | Joined: 1st Apr 2003 | Posts: 2527

EffectsLab Lite User VideoWrap User MacOS User FXhome Movie Maker

Gold Member

Hmm... neutral No offense to those who made the short list but after watching those and the ones who were apparently very close to making it - I'm a bit confused (and by "a bit" i mean really confused)... IMO (as it relates to most of the short list vids, not all) there were much stronger entries not only in terms of ideas & concepts but in overall production quality, shooting, editing and like.

I dunno.. The judging and decisions for this contest definitely threw me for a loop. Like Sollthar, I as well definitely understand some of the frustration and confusion of those who have entered. Unfortunately our team couldn't find the time to shoot and finish an entry.

Congrats and good luck to those who were chosen though.
Posted: Tue, 9th Nov 2010, 7:46pm

Post 37 of 56

Atom

Force: 4300 | Joined: 9th May 2004 | Posts: 7014

EffectsLab Lite User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Rating: +1

I just spoke with Bryce about this, and I suppose I recalled one big thing: Think of when we were young guns on here, CX3.

When I think about how I marveled over your Filmmaker's 2 trailer, or other things- or how I got such a strong, positive response on here from my Splinter Cell trailer, I can't help but realize those weren't the best concepts or execution either. No, they really weren't.

But they presented a mystique, an excitement, and an ambition that directly reflected who we were- passionate filmmakers. And (in my case at least) fairly young ones.

And so when I see Sam Vs. The World or Danny's World, I don't see as much of a lost opportunity with judging as I see nostalgia.

Sure, technology has gotten better and effects software have upped the bar in the past 5-6 years- but in these types of entries, I can't help but see myself a little bit. Aculag. Sollthar. ssjaaron. And you, CX3.

In its present form, I think- whether they realized it or not-FXHome purely wanted to feel some old nostalgia and pick those entries that reminded them the most of the ambitions of young filmmakers determined to make something big. Something with a hook that would, even without perfection execution, draw curiosity into it.

I'd say all but Side Effect and Cutter Vendetta are just that: Some little kids giving it their all. And I'm happy for them, they should be rewarded.

It may not be in my eyes the best usage of story or technical execution, but I see the merit in the shortlist entries, and I'm excited to see the final results.
Posted: Tue, 9th Nov 2010, 7:59pm

Post 38 of 56

Sollthar

Force: 13360 | Joined: 30th Oct 2001 | Posts: 6094

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 2 Pro User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User MacOS User

SuperUser

It's funny. Now I watch Deep Space Nine again, I keep thinking you'd make a great Cardassian atom.
Posted: Wed, 10th Nov 2010, 1:46am

Post 39 of 56

Limey

Force: 547 | Joined: 11th Sep 2005 | Posts: 752

Gold Member

Good job everyone. I plan on watching the rest of the ones I haven't seen soon.
Posted: Wed, 10th Nov 2010, 9:22am

Post 40 of 56

Joshua Davies

Force: 25400 | Joined: 21st Mar 2001 | Posts: 3029

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 5 Pro User MuzzlePlug User PowerPlug User PhotoKey 3 Plug-in User FXpreset Maker Windows User MacOS User

FXhome Team Member

Right, next time we'll do a vote beforehand for who should judge the competition. smile
Posted: Wed, 10th Nov 2010, 9:32am

Post 41 of 56

ben3308

Force: 5210 | Joined: 24th May 2004 | Posts: 6433

VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Ah, but then you may have people who believe the vote beforehand was voted on by people unqualified! biggrin

EDIT: I thought this was clearly a joke. Clearly sarcastic.

Last edited Wed, 10th Nov 2010, 10:13pm; edited 1 times in total.

Posted: Wed, 10th Nov 2010, 9:18pm

Post 42 of 56

Avenging Eagle

Force: 765 | Joined: 9th Apr 2005 | Posts: 375

CompositeLab Pro User EffectsLab Lite User FXhome Movie Maker

Gold Member

Rating: -1

I think the way you conducted the contest was fine, having a pre-vote might (as Ben says) only cause more problems.

This is a very academic way to do it, but why not have a published marking criteria that everyone can read from Day 1? For example:
-----------------------
Story:
Your trailer must give tantalising hints of the storyline of your full film, even if it doesn't exist yet. Be careful though, revealing too much of your story can leave audiences bored and second guessing your movie. (0 - 10 points)

Editing:
Your trailer should be paced like a trailer. Using music and editing techniques appropriate to your film will be awarded here. Using the Captain Pugwash theme tune over scenes of extreme violence will not (unless it's a parody). (0 - 10 points)

...and so on.
-----------------------

Have it vague enough to allow everyone to be as creative and ingenuious as possible (perhaps even award points for ingenuity?) but specific enough so that people know exactly how they will be marked from the beginning.

With 180 entries, this competition might also have benefitted from a bigger shortlist perhaps?

AE
Posted: Wed, 10th Nov 2010, 9:30pm

Post 43 of 56

Atom

Force: 4300 | Joined: 9th May 2004 | Posts: 7014

EffectsLab Lite User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Rating: -2

I think you're therein stiffling creativity, though, AE. Some of the best trailers I've seen give next to nothing away about story- and some give it all away.

Inception or Star Trek, for instance, both had trailers that gave glances of worlds the film's were based in, and quotes from the film, but very little plot. Whereas on the other hand, Terminator Salvation basically gave away the entire movie, from start-to-finish, in the trailer- and yet it was also rather fantastic.

But more than that, there needs to be reminded to you, to everyone, that a good trailer comes in many forms- and wanting to see a movie because of one does, too.

Finally: Just stop asking for clarification and being a sore loser. You didn't have the best entry in my eyes. It was a valiant effort, yes, and with some great execution in part. But you've gone on long enough. In fact, for going into such detail about how you tried to replicate a big blockbuster, how you added grand music and effects, I think you completely missed the mark on what a trailer is.

Your initial Escape Velocity trailer from a year or so ago, for instance, is to me much better. It's tight in editing, has a mystique, and a good sense of tone. It may be more of a slow-burn sort of tease, but I almost want to laugh when you say you went for 'big blockbuster action' and I see an obviously-greenscreened, mediocre-ly-framed image of two teens in street clothes shooting fake laserguns.

Now, I can't knock you for trying (or succeeding) in making a new trailer- and putting out one of the better efforts in the competition- but let's not dance around like you had the pinnacle of excellence as far as judging might go. Don't make all these rules that judges 'should've' gone by, and check off how your trailer hits them.

Because to me kids wearing the same clothes in every shot without grading against a greenscreen through-and-through is more Attack of The Clones than it is Grand Awesome Trailer.

And forgive me for saying so, because it's something I could've easily ignored- and I'm happy to see the merits in your work. But when you smash what you want in people's faces like you have in this thread, you beg for criticism on your own effort.

At least, I think so.
Posted: Wed, 10th Nov 2010, 11:30pm

Post 44 of 56

Avenging Eagle

Force: 765 | Joined: 9th Apr 2005 | Posts: 375

CompositeLab Pro User EffectsLab Lite User FXhome Movie Maker

Gold Member

Rating: -1

Atom wrote:

I think you're therein stiffling creativity, though, AE. Some of the best trailers I've seen give next to nothing away about story- and some give it all away.
I agree! It was just an example, as I said. Obviously, the actual criteria would be more thought out than what I could come up with on-the-spot.

Atom wrote:

But more than that, there needs to be reminded to you, to everyone, that a good trailer comes in many forms- and wanting to see a movie because of one does, too.
I totally agree with you biggrin

Atom wrote:

In fact, for going into such detail...
I can only talk about my trailer and the decisions I made personally. If however I WAS clairvoyant, I would have used another person's entry as an example wink

Atom wrote:

I almost want to laugh when you say you went for 'big blockbuster action' and I see an obviously-greenscreened, mediocre-ly-framed image of two teens in street clothes shooting fake laserguns.

Atom wrote:

Now, I can't knock you for trying
Is that not a contradiction?

Atom wrote:

Don't make all these rules that judges 'should've' gone by, and check off how your trailer hits them.
They were merely suggestions for the future, others in this thread have also asked for definition too.

Atom wrote:

But when you smash what you want in people's faces like you have in this thread, you beg for criticism on your own effort.
Certainly my last two posts have been intended to apologise for my earlier 'smashing', diffuse the situation and offer suggestions for the future. Don't get me wrong, I welcome criticism in my work but using phrases like "I almost want to laugh" is just too inflamatory for a thread I'm trying to calm down and apologise for catalysing. I'm sorry for flying off the handle. I'm sorry for naturally assuming I would do well in the competition because I put in so many hours, and subsequently getting annoyed that I didn't. I'm sorry I moaned about the other entries. Unfortunately, I can't delete my first posts. The moving finger having writ moves on.

AE
Posted: Thu, 11th Nov 2010, 12:13am

Post 45 of 56

FXhomer50323

Force: 20 | Joined: 11th Nov 2010 | Posts: 1

Member

Rating: +2

I think many of the entries were very strong. Thanks for the honorable mention to my trailer to The Girl With Two Masks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXaj_UzcK2c

Maybe I can make the shortlist next time! On a slightly spammy note, I've set up a Twitter to promote London based Independent Films, screenings, calls for entries and festivals. It would be good to keep in contact with some of those who have entered the FX Home contest. So please follow @londonscreen
Posted: Thu, 11th Nov 2010, 4:56am

Post 46 of 56

Atom

Force: 4300 | Joined: 9th May 2004 | Posts: 7014

EffectsLab Lite User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Rating: -1

AE, even your last post before mine serves to patronizingly 'suggest' to the good people at FXHome (the judges) how to judge.

Don't get on me for picking your thing apart slightly, the haughtiness of your furtively poor-sport attitude earlier, and even in trying to reconcile your earlier statements now, leaves yourself open to it.

I only get to the words 'laugh' because, while by itself the shot may not seem laughable, under the conditions and praises you've decidedly given yourself about what measures up to a 'blockbuster trailer', the context and quality and staging of the trying-to-be-action-y shot bleeds at the seams. It lends itself almost to unintentional parody, when you're given the detail on how it's supposed to typify this certain thing you've outlined.

But, when it plays more along the lines of the moody, brooding space opera-style thriller- as I myself saw the trailer as, the shot plays much better.

So yeah, there you go. Hopefully you take what I'm saying more as guidance than grief. I'm sorry if I've said something offensive. I am, like you, still only offering 'my opinion'. wink

Last edited Thu, 11th Nov 2010, 5:02am; edited 1 times in total.

Posted: Thu, 11th Nov 2010, 5:00am

Post 47 of 56

ben3308

Force: 5210 | Joined: 24th May 2004 | Posts: 6433

VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Avenging Eagle has evolved to Atom, and Atom to Aculag.

It's the transcendental curse of the 'A' names....
Posted: Thu, 11th Nov 2010, 5:05am

Post 48 of 56

Biblmac

Force: 852 | Joined: 12th Jun 2007 | Posts: 1513

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User

Gold Member

ben3308 wrote:

Avenging Eagle has evolved to Atom, and Atom to Aculag.

It's the transcendental curse of the 'A' names....
Where does Arktic or Axeman fit in? And can there be some 'B' names too! Cause I want to become ben3308 wink
Posted: Thu, 11th Nov 2010, 5:10am

Post 49 of 56

Atom

Force: 4300 | Joined: 9th May 2004 | Posts: 7014

EffectsLab Lite User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User

Gold Member

Axeman became Arktic a long time ago. Where were you?
Posted: Thu, 11th Nov 2010, 8:29am

Post 50 of 56

Aculag

Force: 8365 | Joined: 21st Jun 2002 | Posts: 8581

EffectsLab Lite User VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

So that must mean that I have reached nirvana.
Posted: Thu, 11th Nov 2010, 2:29pm

Post 51 of 56

Joshua Davies

Force: 25400 | Joined: 21st Mar 2001 | Posts: 3029

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 5 Pro User MuzzlePlug User PowerPlug User PhotoKey 3 Plug-in User FXpreset Maker Windows User MacOS User

FXhome Team Member

Well, at least the competition has created a lively debate! biggrin
Posted: Thu, 11th Nov 2010, 2:37pm

Post 52 of 56

Sollthar

Force: 13360 | Joined: 30th Oct 2001 | Posts: 6094

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 2 Pro User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User MacOS User

SuperUser

Rating: +2/-1

Feels more like the usual atom-monologue with a few interventions by other people. wink


Sooooooo, when will the winners be announced? Shortly after voting or at a later date?

And will the other trailers hit the fxhome cinema as well or is youtube the only way to watch some of the other submissions?
Posted: Thu, 11th Nov 2010, 2:44pm

Post 53 of 56

Simon K Jones

Force: 27955 | Joined: 1st Jan 2002 | Posts: 11683

VisionLab User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 5 Pro User MuzzlePlug User PowerPlug User PhotoKey 3 Plug-in User FXhome Movie Maker FXpreset Maker Windows User

FXhome Team Member

The shortlisted movies were submitted to the cinema so that they could work with the voting form system we have (which is based on the FXhome awards system).

I won't be personally adding the other ~180 movies, but their creators are of course more than welcome to do so. It'd be great to see some of the entries in the cinema for some feedback.

Edit: The winner will be announced the same day voting closes, so on the 19th.
Posted: Fri, 12th Nov 2010, 8:39pm

Post 54 of 56

TSFilm

Force: 20 | Joined: 4th Jul 2006 | Posts: 7

Member

Rating: +2

Congrats to the final 5, I think each one has plenty of positives.

Cheers to FXHome/TubeTape for running the comp, look forward to next one. Hopefully I'll be able to make the shortlist next time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbsZMgF37L0
Posted: Sat, 13th Nov 2010, 1:24am

Post 55 of 56

spydurhank

Force: 1956 | Joined: 24th Jun 2008 | Posts: 1357

VisionLab User VideoWrap User FXpreset Maker Windows User FXhome Movie Maker

Gold Member

Rating: +1

Weeell... were I being biased towards my own entry, I might feel the same as some of the other guys feel on the final pick but frankly I'm not biggrin so nice job to all of the judges.
I'm sure it was a pain having to go through all 180 videos. I know that I barely made it through some of them as they were uh... kinda... meh, just to me though I'm sure, so no offense to anyone.
Some of the other trailers "not including my own" were pretty prime and I am rather surprised not to see them on the final pick, just personal taste I suppose.

Anyway, I'm sure everyone did thier best. I for one had a blast shooting mine and re-learned some things I'd forgotten... and that's to have some damn fun, so have some fun dang it! biggrin

Oh and a few more bits of advise to all, but don't takes this the wrong way and get all miffed at me...
Don't be biased with your entry when you enter a contest. You're setting yourslef up for one long and hard fall because everyone thinks that thier entry is the best... even when it's clearly not.
Just let the judges do thier thing...
Show some class when they're done judging...
Then say congrats to the winner.
Now it's time to vote. biggrin
Posted: Wed, 17th Nov 2010, 9:07pm

Post 56 of 56

GoodOlGrl

Force: 0 | Joined: 17th Nov 2010 | Posts: 1

Member

Excellent choices on the finalists, judges.