You are viewing an archive of the old fxhome.com forums. The community has since moved to hitfilm.com.

Bulletproof Monk

Posted: Sat, 19th Apr 2003, 6:17am

Post 1 of 59

Aculag

Force: 8365 | Joined: 21st Jun 2002 | Posts: 8581

EffectsLab Lite User VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

Ok. There is one word that can accurately describe nearly everything about this movie. That word is: SUCKED. Another word you could add to that would be: BAD. As in SUCKED BAD. I thought it would have good action and effects, I was wrong. Even the lighting and editing was shoddy. Too dark most places, you could tell stuff was bluescreened because the lighting was different. The editing was like "I'm in the air! now i'm on the ground. Now I'm underwater. Now i'm buying you a cake" GRR!! Don't see this movie unless you really need to laugh at horrible dialogue or see Jamie King Looking good, and acting bad. Criminy. Oh and I mentioned that my ripple in Bullet Ripple Test 2 looked like the one in bullet proof monk? Nah. Mine looked better, I think. And I know people who agree with me. Growl at that movie!
Posted: Sat, 19th Apr 2003, 6:25am

Post 2 of 59

LtMcMurphy

Force: 1105 | Joined: 8th Jan 2003 | Posts: 583

Windows User

Member

I agree 200%. That movie sucked. The only good part...was...was...give me a second...

Darn, just a sec... Arg, I know there was something good!

Oh right! Jaime King.
Posted: Sat, 19th Apr 2003, 7:04am

Post 3 of 59

Aculag

Force: 8365 | Joined: 21st Jun 2002 | Posts: 8581

EffectsLab Lite User VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

Pushosh!
Posted: Sat, 19th Apr 2003, 9:30am

Post 4 of 59

TAP2

Force: 1128 | Joined: 8th Jan 2003 | Posts: 1848

Windows User

Member

haven't seen it yet but if you insist it was that crap i won't bother.
thanks for saving me a couple of hours.
Posted: Sat, 19th Apr 2003, 1:11pm

Post 5 of 59

billy3d

Force: 2678 | Joined: 3rd Jan 2002 | Posts: 1273

Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

heh i have to agree acula, your bullet time trail was better, only that the bullet in ur test needs to be 3d
Posted: Sat, 19th Apr 2003, 1:59pm

Post 6 of 59

Cypher

Force: 3050 | Joined: 22nd Feb 2002 | Posts: 2126

EffectsLab Lite User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 4 Pro User PhotoKey 3 Plug-in User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

HAHAHA. This movie wasn't ALL that bad. Yes, its quite bad. It's bad because its overly silly and tells the audience every second not to forget that its just a movie.

The fighting was low grade, but a few cool things with chow yun fat. the dialogue was crap, cept for seann william scott who made it funny.

not really worth seeing in theatres, more of a rental.

and no, aculag, your bullet ripple was not better then the ones in bulletproof monk. it was actually much, much worse.


bottomline: it's mindless, silly, "what the hell was that" fun.
Posted: Sat, 19th Apr 2003, 4:43pm

Post 7 of 59

Aculag

Force: 8365 | Joined: 21st Jun 2002 | Posts: 8581

EffectsLab Lite User VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

Cypher- Yes, the movie WAS that bad, and No, their ripple was NOT better than mine. Take a gander again. And also, take those shards of glass out of your eyes when you do so.
Posted: Sat, 19th Apr 2003, 4:46pm

Post 8 of 59

anonymous

total b.s.! your bullet ripple was disgraceful, aculag! there was nothing to it except a cheesy distortion (that was overdone I might add, you should tone it down, a little! tard )
it's called mood. when a movie has dark lighting, and deep shadows, it's because it's trying to set a mood, not because the lighting guys don't know what they're doing, you moron. ever seen apocolypse now? I bet you thought it had 'bad lighting' too? stupid. . . .
ltmcmurphy - jaime king wasn't that good, nor is she \that\ good looking. she's definitely not the reason to go see this film.
this isn't supposed to be a deep, contemplate your existence type movie. . .it was pure escapism. designed to make you just go and have fun. that's the reason to go see this film. it's 'fun'.
yes, it was overly silly, but so was Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure, and people still found that enjoyable. neutral
The effects were actually quite good, for a non-effects driven movie. When the bad guy looked at himself in the mirror, it was the best aging effect I've seen in years!
I thought the dialogue interactions between Chow Yun Fat and Sean William Scott were very well done. I never thought Chow Yun Fat could pull off comedy, but he did it very well

Tap2, go and see it, just don't go in expecting ANYTHING. don't go thinking it's a movie-of-the-year winner, don't go thinking it's crap, go into it with no expectations at all, and only the intention of having a good time, and you'll enjoy the film.
films like Vanilla Sky, and Seven are meant to be analyzed for deeper meaning, and critiqued to shreds
films like this are just meant to be watched. they implied as much in the movie, with their hot dog analogy. be happy with it for what it is.
Posted: Sat, 19th Apr 2003, 4:58pm

Post 9 of 59

Aculag

Force: 8365 | Joined: 21st Jun 2002 | Posts: 8581

EffectsLab Lite User VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

Guest, I suppose you thought Daredevil was also a very good movie? Every single thing about that movie was awful. If a movie doesn't have a good script, not even the best actors and directors can save it. This is one of those cases. Even if the effects were OK, which they weren't, and the fighting was OK, which it wasn't, and the acting was OK, which it definitely wasn't, the movie still would have been bad because of the script and bad directing. That movie was not even fun to watch. And also, if you're going to criticize someone's effect so much, you ought to back it up with proof that YOU can do better. If you're thinking "Oh, he's trying to make that look like it does in the matrix" you're dead wrong. All I'm doing by using that effect is using the resources I have available to me to make a fairly easy to do, and original ripple effect. So shut your trap.
Posted: Sat, 19th Apr 2003, 6:35pm

Post 10 of 59

Cypher

Force: 3050 | Joined: 22nd Feb 2002 | Posts: 2126

EffectsLab Lite User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 4 Pro User PhotoKey 3 Plug-in User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

lol, im gonna add aculag to the list of people who's opinions don't count wink

Way too much to disagree with Aculag. But one thing is certain, your ripple effects SUCKED. Do you know what alamdv entry had good ripples? The Matrix Renegade thing (here is the link: http://www.csb-digital.com/alamdv/cinema/movieinfo.php?id=591).

guest: quite true...cept i didn't like Vanilla Sky...at all. That movie was just too dull for me. And now that I think about it, the age makeup was phenomenol. Not so keen on that mirror shot (as it was just as good in the Two Towers with what's-his-face king guy), but the makeup looked really good.


Btw Aculag, you speak of this script thing, i have a classic example to disprove you. Ever see The Quest for Fire? Yeah, that movie with Ron Pearlman and some other people. Very good movie. Guess what, not a single word was said through the entire thing, yet it's still a very good movie.

Put that in your smoke and pipe it!
Posted: Sat, 19th Apr 2003, 6:43pm

Post 11 of 59

Coureur de Bois

Force: 1394 | Joined: 23rd Sep 2002 | Posts: 1127

VideoWrap User Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

Don't want to sound like an ass here Aculag, I liked your Bullet Ripple effect, no I didn't think it sucked, however comparing that to something created in Hollywood by proffessionals and saying that yours looks better is not very sensible. Of course you're obviously biased towards your effect, spending all the time making it and all.
Posted: Sat, 19th Apr 2003, 6:49pm

Post 12 of 59

TotalEmoSkywalker2

Force: 0 | Joined: 17th Apr 2003 | Posts: 4

Member

Now I understand why this program is around; so kids and sweetly retarded people can make 'cool effects' and 'awesome stuff' in their shitty movies that they make so they can show their friends while they're jacking each other off. Having a 'good' opinion or a 'bad' opinion of bullet proof monk is pointless, because lowering yourself to that kind of level of shitty filmmaking is also pointless.

Kick ass ripples though, Aculag. Atleast someone can stand up for you. And by the way, the rippples in 'renegade' were sorry and pathetic. They had a big blotchy spot of 'something' following the bullet, then it just faded? Well, I won't even get started on that 'movie'.

-Michael Bouvant
Posted: Sat, 19th Apr 2003, 7:02pm

Post 13 of 59

MechaForce

Force: 4654 | Joined: 3rd Aug 2001 | Posts: 1934

FXhome Movie Maker Windows User MacOS User

SuperUser

My opinion (it matters):

Aculag's bullet ripple blows. I could do that in 1 second.
Posted: Sat, 19th Apr 2003, 7:02pm

Post 14 of 59

jarar1

Force: 390 | Joined: 1st Nov 2001 | Posts: 228

Gold Member

I just weep for Chow Yun-Fat, and the crap he's been reduced to act in. Hell, he's not even a martial artist, but hey, he's Chinese - let's make him do kung-fu.

I think he's do for a John Woo reunion film.

Of course, Woo's next flick stars Affleck, so maybe he's not in such great shape either.
Posted: Sat, 19th Apr 2003, 7:04pm

Post 15 of 59

MechaForce

Force: 4654 | Joined: 3rd Aug 2001 | Posts: 1934

FXhome Movie Maker Windows User MacOS User

SuperUser

HEY. Hard Boiled is quite possibly the sweetest gun movie EVER, and yes, cooler gun stuff then the matrix. That movie is sweet as hell. John Woo directed it.
Posted: Sat, 19th Apr 2003, 7:07pm

Post 16 of 59

Aculag

Force: 8365 | Joined: 21st Jun 2002 | Posts: 8581

EffectsLab Lite User VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

Cypher, everyone is entitled to their opinion. I'm sorry you didn't like my ripple effect. That's your opinion. I didn't like bulletproof monk. my opinion. I'd hate to make you dislike me because of a stupid argument, so I'm stopping the argument! I've never seen The Quest For Fire. But Obviously, if there is no script, the "bad script, bad movie" rule is not applicable.

I appreciate people's opinions on my movies. However, i don't appreciate people saying "it sucked" and not giving me a reason, and not giving me any ways that i could improve it. That makes me think that you're just biased against me.

Orion, you're right, I shouldn't be comparing my ripple to hollywood and saying it's better, but you're also right that i'm biased towards it. heh. And i did spend a lot of time figuring it out and working on it and all that. The bulletproof monk ripple is the closest looking thing to mine. That's why I was comparing.

So Again, Cypher. Sorry to get on your back, and all. And please, If you have anything that would make my ripple better, tell me! That'd be nice.

Totalemoskywalker, although i think you must be on drugs most of the time or something, thanks for the comment.
Posted: Sat, 19th Apr 2003, 7:21pm

Post 17 of 59

Aculag

Force: 8365 | Joined: 21st Jun 2002 | Posts: 8581

EffectsLab Lite User VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

By The way, mecha, if you can do it in one second, then DO IT. Or, since it blows and you can do better, THEN DO IT. I want to see.
Posted: Sat, 19th Apr 2003, 8:05pm

Post 18 of 59

TAP2

Force: 1128 | Joined: 8th Jan 2003 | Posts: 1848

Windows User

Member

some of you guys are getting really arrogant about this.

for a start, none of the movies i've seen are anywhere near as proffesional as real ones for obvious reasons... In the matrix, they had a whole team assigned to do ripple effects. Sure, there are some exceptions but its a true fact...

Aculag has done experimenting and produced a unique effect/style which he likes. Maybe it's not as good as the matrix ones and maybe you mecha, you can create something visually more impressive... but whats the point in saying "IT SUCKED"

I'm sure you'd be pissed off if everyone said Metal Gear Solid Redux sucked ass.... (don't get any ideas.. i thought it was really good, i'm just using it as an example).

be more supportive, like orion0340. he said it didn't suck, but it wasn't quite as impressive as the ones done in hollywood...

And to be fair Aculag, you were digging a massive hole when you said your effects were way better...
Posted: Sat, 19th Apr 2003, 8:06pm

Post 19 of 59

cantaclaro

Force: 2036 | Joined: 24th Oct 2001 | Posts: 875

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

Hardboiled is so freakin awesome. That is another Chow Yun Fat movie biggrin Yeah BPM sucked big ones. My RibbedBullet plug looked way better than that bullet. Oh well....

Canta mad
Posted: Sat, 19th Apr 2003, 8:15pm

Post 20 of 59

Fight

Force: 379 | Joined: 24th Oct 2002 | Posts: 181

Windows User

Gold Member

Bullet proof monk really was just a ridicuosly stupid, 'leave your brain at home' movie. It wasn't awfully good but I didn't mind seeing it. Some of the action was alright (the bit with mr Fat jumping on top of the car with the guns and shooting the guns from the other chaps hands).

I'm not complaing. I thought chow yun fat and sean william scott worked quite well together.

T'was alright.

Cheers.
Posted: Sat, 19th Apr 2003, 8:21pm

Post 21 of 59

Aculag

Force: 8365 | Joined: 21st Jun 2002 | Posts: 8581

EffectsLab Lite User VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

I already said it was a stupid thing to say that mine was way better. I just didn't like the ripple in BPM. i'm glad you understand that my effect is meant to be original, unlike some people. And I do think ANYONE would be pissed if someone said their movie sucked. That's why i'm pissed. And I wouldn't be AS pissed if they said "It sucked. But if you did this and this, it might be better" And so far nobody has said that. All i hear from anyone is "It's cool" Or "That sucks." If it really sucks so much, tell me how to fix it, or shut the hell up. I'm not even as impressed by hollywood ripples. The ones in the matrix kick ass. Every time I see them i'm amazed. And I'll say it again, mine is NOT supposed to look like the ones in the matrix! I can't do them that good. So I very much appreciate people being supportive of other people on this site, I think that's what this site should be for anyway. Support for movies, and constructive criticism. And I don't usually see people giving out constructive criticism. At least not to me. So if you're gonna say "it sucked" 1, tell me why. and 2, give me ways to fix it. Otherwise i think you're just being an asshole.
Posted: Sat, 19th Apr 2003, 10:22pm

Post 22 of 59

cantaclaro

Force: 2036 | Joined: 24th Oct 2001 | Posts: 875

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

I'm not even talking about your bullet so take a freakin chill pill. I was talkin' about the one in the movie for which the topic was made. Who cares what people think your whole movie career is not going down the drain. Just don't be so anal, your bullet looked ok and the ripple though it needs some work was pretty good for not being made in a 3d program with a particle emitter. Sorry for the misunderstanding. wink

Canta mad
Posted: Sat, 19th Apr 2003, 10:28pm

Post 23 of 59

Aculag

Force: 8365 | Joined: 21st Jun 2002 | Posts: 8581

EffectsLab Lite User VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

I know you were talking about that one. Your bullet is awesome. It's the only one on here that isn't in the shell still. I was gonna use it, but it wasn't at the right angle. You should make a rotating one. An animation where it spins 360 degrees.
Posted: Sat, 19th Apr 2003, 11:15pm

Post 24 of 59

MechaForce

Force: 4654 | Joined: 3rd Aug 2001 | Posts: 1934

FXhome Movie Maker Windows User MacOS User

SuperUser

Hey just cause you're bullet ripple sucked doesn't mean you should get angry. It means you should try making another one, which you should consider before you put any into a real movie.

I'd just like to leave it at that. I'm going to go and watch Bulletproof Monk soon.
Posted: Sat, 19th Apr 2003, 11:22pm

Post 25 of 59

Aculag

Force: 8365 | Joined: 21st Jun 2002 | Posts: 8581

EffectsLab Lite User VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

I've already done plenty of tests doing it different ways. None that i've put on here, But I have done a bunch. And I'd do MORE if someone would tell me what was wrong with it. Saying "it sucked" doesn't cut it. I'm sorry. So stop saying it sucked, and start telling me what I can do to make it better.
Posted: Sun, 20th Apr 2003, 12:07am

Post 26 of 59

ops101ex

Force: 250 | Joined: 16th Nov 2002 | Posts: 209

Gold Member

I really like your bullet ripple, Aculag. smile And seeing that you did not use a team of experts using the most specialized software, I think your bullet ripple is very high quality. I know it just looks cool and all, but do bullets really make visible distortions? They make shockwaves, but how could you see them? Correct me if I'm wrong, I wouldn't know. biggrin
Posted: Sun, 20th Apr 2003, 12:37am

Post 27 of 59

MechaForce

Force: 4654 | Joined: 3rd Aug 2001 | Posts: 1934

FXhome Movie Maker Windows User MacOS User

SuperUser

Rating: +3

Ok.

1. Try not to make the ripple so huge. It looks really weird.

2. Add a blur because it'd give a cool heat effect.

3. Distort it with a different kind of ripple (there is the wavy stuff, water drop, etc)

http://www.scope-entertainment.com/~twistedstudios/matrix1.mov

Kinda like that. ( It sucks with the flat backgrounds though )
Posted: Sun, 20th Apr 2003, 12:46am

Post 28 of 59

Cypher

Force: 3050 | Joined: 22nd Feb 2002 | Posts: 2126

EffectsLab Lite User VideoWrap User PhotoKey 4 Pro User PhotoKey 3 Plug-in User FXhome Movie Maker Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

Lol mecha, what the hell is that at the end of the clip?????????
Posted: Sun, 20th Apr 2003, 12:57am

Post 29 of 59

Aculag

Force: 8365 | Joined: 21st Jun 2002 | Posts: 8581

EffectsLab Lite User VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

I'll try some of that stuff out. This is what I'm talking about! Everyone on this site should be able to work together in harmony and get things done! Thanks, mecha for understanding. Nice clip, too.
Posted: Sun, 20th Apr 2003, 8:14pm

Post 30 of 59

cantaclaro

Force: 2036 | Joined: 24th Oct 2001 | Posts: 875

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

Yes bullets really have those ripples, it is from heat and the fact that the bullet is breaking the sound barrier several times over. You have to remember that the bullets are going in extreme slow motion, at that speed even a muzzle flash becomes an explosive fire ball out of the front of the gun.

Examples:

http://www.gmi.edu/~drussell/Demos/doppler/bullet-3.gif
http://www.kurzzeit.com/images/gelatine2.jpg

Canta mad
Posted: Sun, 20th Apr 2003, 9:51pm

Post 31 of 59

Two Gunned Saint

Force: 918 | Joined: 1st Sep 2002 | Posts: 1269

Member

Chow Yun-Fat is my favourite actor. I thought "Bulletproof Monk" wasn't exactly "The Killer" or "Hard Boiled" but it was great fun to me.

Chow is shooting a film at the moment with Woo and Nic Cage. After that he was supposed to shoot another Woo film but that project was aborted and turned into the sequel to "Ocean's Eleven."

Affleck is my least favourite actor and Woo my favourite director, I was dissappointed to learn that "Paycheck" would star Affleck.

I saw "Bulletproof Monk" on the day it came out and I thought it was greatly entertaining. Take this from the biggest Chow fan around. He's been perhaps the most influential actor on action films around in recent years, he could make any old cak and make it good. However "Bp M" wasn't cak to me.
Posted: Sun, 20th Apr 2003, 9:54pm

Post 32 of 59

anonymous

Ya, chow yun fat MADE Replacement Killers!
Posted: Sun, 20th Apr 2003, 10:52pm

Post 33 of 59

MechaForce

Force: 4654 | Joined: 3rd Aug 2001 | Posts: 1934

FXhome Movie Maker Windows User MacOS User

SuperUser

What's at the end of that clip? I'm boogie-ing. Or how ever you spell it.

Canta - those are really interesting photos - Check out THIS one. That a photo of the bullet's heat and the waves it's creating in the air.
Posted: Sun, 20th Apr 2003, 11:08pm

Post 34 of 59

Aculag

Force: 8365 | Joined: 21st Jun 2002 | Posts: 8581

EffectsLab Lite User VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

Those are some sweet images.
Posted: Sun, 20th Apr 2003, 11:58pm

Post 35 of 59

cantaclaro

Force: 2036 | Joined: 24th Oct 2001 | Posts: 875

EffectsLab Lite User Windows User MacOS User

Gold Member

Dude that one is awesome I was trying to find another one like that to post but came up short and had to use those others.

Canta mad
Posted: Mon, 21st Apr 2003, 12:07am

Post 36 of 59

Aculag

Force: 8365 | Joined: 21st Jun 2002 | Posts: 8581

EffectsLab Lite User VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

Oh, man. If only I had a high speed camera such as the ones used to shoot stuff like that...
Posted: Mon, 21st Apr 2003, 1:39am

Post 37 of 59

sidewinder

Force: 4937 | Joined: 5th Aug 2001 | Posts: 2453

FXhome Movie Maker Windows User MacOS User

SuperUser

Sam-that was actually a pretty good ripple.

What's this BS about crappy effects being okay if you're an amateur? Quit making excuses for yourselves!

Aculag, I'm going to hurt your ego, ( wink ) but your ripples do need work. Mecha showed you how to fix it, so I won't explain.

You know what? get a 3d program. I don't care if you can't afford it, because we all know that's not an issue.

Then, do this:

http://www.the3dstudio.com/(af3ebi45kyuxu445zyeftgzp)/tutorials.asp?id=108&mode=Display&name=Matrix%2DLike+Bullet+Effect+II&ct=FX&author=Bernard+Peh&email=bai%5Fyisheng%40hotmail%2Ecom&url=
Posted: Mon, 21st Apr 2003, 2:19am

Post 38 of 59

MechaForce

Force: 4654 | Joined: 3rd Aug 2001 | Posts: 1934

FXhome Movie Maker Windows User MacOS User

SuperUser

Holy crap. You guys wanna see the matrix in real life? Click on the pictures to see the movies - they're all really cool! (they got those uzi flashes right in the matrix trailer!!!)

http://www.bsg-dornier.de/schiessen/index.html?/schiessen/filme/filme.htm

and just for fun:

http://www.kurzzeit.com/bildersite.htm
Posted: Mon, 21st Apr 2003, 3:31am

Post 39 of 59

Aculag

Force: 8365 | Joined: 21st Jun 2002 | Posts: 8581

EffectsLab Lite User VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

That didn't hurt my ego at all, sidey. I love any help I can get on anything. Especially when I know myself that it needs work. I don't really see how that effect is really all that considerably different than mine, except that it's done in a 3D program. But I'll consider it. Thank you all for your comments, and for your help. Also, mecha. Those videos are incredible!
Posted: Mon, 21st Apr 2003, 5:22am

Post 40 of 59

Ice_Man

Force: 1390 | Joined: 26th Nov 2002 | Posts: 1208

Windows User

Gold Member

I think guest was saying the right things, but in the wrong way (if that made any sense to you guys)

aculag, I find your defenses strangely ironic :

Aculag wrote:

Saying "it sucked" doesn't cut it. I'm sorry. So stop saying it sucked, and start telling me what I can do to make it better.

Aculag wrote:

i don't appreciate people saying "it sucked" and not giving me a reason, and not giving me any ways that i could improve it.
that last one is my favorite, especially in light of this comment of yours :

Aculag wrote:

Ok. There is one word that can accurately describe nearly everything about this movie. That word is: SUCKED.
you say it sucked, but NOWHERE in this thread do you say specifically why or what they should have done in place of what they did. you say "this is bad" and you say "that is bad" but you never say what about it is bad. you never say what about it should have been changed. so, 'physician, heal thyself'. wink

as for your bullet ripple, it's just too simple. it needs some complexity to it. like the distortion waves in the example mecha posted. also, you set your refraction a little too high, it was too strong. tone it down a little bit, and add some animation to it.


kudos to mecha for that site with the slowmotion gunshots on it, those are nice!
Posted: Mon, 21st Apr 2003, 5:28am

Post 41 of 59

LtMcMurphy

Force: 1105 | Joined: 8th Jan 2003 | Posts: 583

Windows User

Member

Rating: +1

I believe he did say why it sucked as stated here:

Aculag wrote:

the lighting and editing was shoddy. Too dark most places, you could tell stuff was bluescreened because the lighting was different.


And here:

Aculag wrote:

The editing was like "I'm in the air! now i'm on the ground. Now I'm underwater. Now i'm buying you a cake" GRR!!


Maybe I'm just half-retarded, maybe I love pirates too much. Maybe its you, maybe its him... Maybe its GOD.
Posted: Mon, 21st Apr 2003, 5:31am

Post 42 of 59

Ice_Man

Force: 1390 | Joined: 26th Nov 2002 | Posts: 1208

Windows User

Gold Member

what you just quoted were examples of him saying "IT SUCKED"

now, quote me some examples of where he had some solutions to those problems, and you won't be retarded, then biggrin
Posted: Mon, 21st Apr 2003, 5:31am

Post 43 of 59

Aculag

Force: 8365 | Joined: 21st Jun 2002 | Posts: 8581

EffectsLab Lite User VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

I think McMurph is right. Also, the ripple HAS animation in it, just not a lot. Didn't want it to be too outrageous.
Posted: Mon, 21st Apr 2003, 5:33am

Post 44 of 59

Ice_Man

Force: 1390 | Joined: 26th Nov 2002 | Posts: 1208

Windows User

Gold Member

'mcmurph' is right about what? being half-retarded? razz

your ripple didn't have enough animation in it, and too much distortion. for not wanting it to be outrageous, you sure went overboard.
Posted: Mon, 21st Apr 2003, 5:33am

Post 45 of 59

LtMcMurphy

Force: 1105 | Joined: 8th Jan 2003 | Posts: 583

Windows User

Member

Oops, got confused because of this:

Ice_Man wrote:

but you never say what about it is bad.
I resign...
Posted: Mon, 21st Apr 2003, 5:35am

Post 46 of 59

Aculag

Force: 8365 | Joined: 21st Jun 2002 | Posts: 8581

EffectsLab Lite User VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

Some solutions to their problems (not like it matters NOW). Hire good actors. Hire an experienced lighting crew, Hire a good film editor. Take a little pride in their work. As in, don't light a bluescreened scene poorly then just throw it into the film. Any of that help? I did say what was wrong with it, but since they're not listening, and since their movie has already been released, I felt no need to tell them how to fix it.
Posted: Mon, 21st Apr 2003, 5:35am

Post 47 of 59

Ice_Man

Force: 1390 | Joined: 26th Nov 2002 | Posts: 1208

Windows User

Gold Member

s'okay. I misread a little, too. he did give a very, very, VERY vague example with the lighting. problem is, it wasn't anything specific, a very blanket statement that could have nonchalantly been said about any movie.
Posted: Mon, 21st Apr 2003, 5:39am

Post 48 of 59

LtMcMurphy

Force: 1105 | Joined: 8th Jan 2003 | Posts: 583

Windows User

Member

I do agree about the lighting. At some points the actors were in light rooms in the scene but have close-ups with darker backgrounds, while the close-up of the other actor has a light background.

Don't ask me how to fix it. All I see are flaws. Remember, I'm half-retarded, and an actor myself. I hear what the director tells me to do, and I do it.
Posted: Mon, 21st Apr 2003, 5:42am

Post 49 of 59

Ice_Man

Force: 1390 | Joined: 26th Nov 2002 | Posts: 1208

Windows User

Gold Member

aculag, you stating what's wrong and how to fix isn't for THEIR benefit, obviously. they'll never read what you say here.

it's for OUR benefit. any moron can say something was horrible. not any moron can back it up with proof. (which, by the way, you haven't actually given us yet razz )


hire better actors? I happen to think Chow Yun Fat is a very good actor. just because his english isn't the best doesn't make him a bad actor.
I agree, Jaime King should stick to modeling
and it's hard to imagine Sean William Scott as anything other than Stifler.
but when it comes down to it, they didn't act it that poorly.


if one can see a flaw, one can give the solution to it. if not, then you wouldn't be able to tell it's a flaw. smile
Posted: Mon, 21st Apr 2003, 5:49am

Post 50 of 59

Aculag

Force: 8365 | Joined: 21st Jun 2002 | Posts: 8581

EffectsLab Lite User VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

I know, iceman. But since noone asked before either, they just make me the bad guy because i said something bad about their precious movie. Maybe it wasn't the acting that was bad.. ah screw it. I'm going to start up this whole argument again, and there's no point to that. It's finished. But you have to agree that no one in that movie except chow yun fat was any good at being in an action movie. And the blond nazi chick or whatever she was, the curator of the museum or whatever, having her in there made it seem more like a kids movie like home alone than a hot action movie. Just because she's soooo bad.
Posted: Mon, 21st Apr 2003, 5:50am

Post 51 of 59

Aculag

Force: 8365 | Joined: 21st Jun 2002 | Posts: 8581

EffectsLab Lite User VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

And saying hire better actors wasn't aimed at chow yun fat himself. The other people mainly. I'm not racist man. Why would you think I think he's a bad actor because he's not english. That's a gay thing to say. He's awesome. Just not his best role.
Posted: Mon, 21st Apr 2003, 5:52am

Post 52 of 59

Ice_Man

Force: 1390 | Joined: 26th Nov 2002 | Posts: 1208

Windows User

Gold Member

the only real complaint I have about the movie, is that they used Nazis for their villains. that seemed a little unimaginative.

I think the blond nazi chick was . . . . not the best. I think they should have left her out of the fight scenes for sure, but other than that, she was eye-candy, at any rate wink
Posted: Mon, 21st Apr 2003, 6:01am

Post 53 of 59

Ice_Man

Force: 1390 | Joined: 26th Nov 2002 | Posts: 1208

Windows User

Gold Member

no jab was meant at you, calm down bub.

I've heard too many people bitch and moan about the incompetancy of foreign actors and actresses, all because of their imperfect english. Since I obviously don't know you, I was just trying to make sure my position on that was clear.
Posted: Mon, 21st Apr 2003, 6:03am

Post 54 of 59

Aculag

Force: 8365 | Joined: 21st Jun 2002 | Posts: 8581

EffectsLab Lite User VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

I happen to think a lot of foreign actors are better than a lot of english speaking actors. But I see where you're coming from. Now, let's all stop arguing, and sit down for a nice tea, eh?
Posted: Mon, 21st Apr 2003, 6:08am

Post 55 of 59

Ice_Man

Force: 1390 | Joined: 26th Nov 2002 | Posts: 1208

Windows User

Gold Member

hehe

I'm more of a Sake man, myself. But you're under-aged biggrin
Posted: Mon, 21st Apr 2003, 2:52pm

Post 56 of 59

Aculag

Force: 8365 | Joined: 21st Jun 2002 | Posts: 8581

EffectsLab Lite User VideoWrap User FXhome Movie Maker MacOS User

Gold Member

You assume so much. But yes.. I.. am.. DAMN!
Posted: Mon, 21st Apr 2003, 3:17pm

Post 57 of 59

Two Gunned Saint

Force: 918 | Joined: 1st Sep 2002 | Posts: 1269

Member

Chow Yun Fat won the Hong Kong film award for best actor in 1986, 1987 and he won it again I think in 1988. He gets nominated almost every year. He won the Taiwan Golden Horse award for best actor twice and won another award for his acting and was the critically acclaimed star to the mulitple oscar winning "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" which won over 40 awards. Therefore I think it's safe to assume he's a competent actor.
Posted: Mon, 21st Apr 2003, 3:20pm

Post 58 of 59

Ice_Man

Force: 1390 | Joined: 26th Nov 2002 | Posts: 1208

Windows User

Gold Member

*raises sake cup to two_gunned saint*

drink? biggrin
Posted: Mon, 21st Apr 2003, 3:22pm

Post 59 of 59

Two Gunned Saint

Force: 918 | Joined: 1st Sep 2002 | Posts: 1269

Member

Wouldn't say no to a bit of sake.

As Sean Connery said in "You Only Live Twice" (1967)

"Oh no, Ai liyke Shake."